Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Was Jack Cade Right – would society be better with fewer lawyers? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2020 in General
imageWas Jack Cade Right – would society be better with fewer lawyers? – politicalbetting.com

“The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.” A cheer from half the audience at that and its response (“that I mean to do”); a groan from the other half followed. Whoever would have thought a Barbican audience would consist of lawyers and their clients! 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Morning all. Can we start with a competition for the best lawyer joke? I get mine from my daughter, e.g.,:

Q. What's the difference between a human sperm and a lawyer?

A. The sperm has a one in eightmillion chance of becoming a human being.

Laters everyone.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,558
    edited November 2020
    Oh goody, Cyclefree again. Thank you!

But FPT -

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, Boris Johnson is absolutely stupid enough to allow a second referendum on Scottish separation, vain enough to think he'd be an asset for the union side, and incompetent enough to screw up the negotiations to such an extent everywhere north of the Watford Gap becomes part of Greater Scotland.

He won't as Tory MPs will block it, it is Westminster that has to approve the legislation for it he himself cannot do it and even if it was allowed and Scotland did vote for independence the Scottish borders for example could remain part of the UK given it would likely vote heavily No
    Isn't a Section 30 order by definition an administrative order rather than an Act?
    It is, although it's an unusual type of statutory instrument in that it's subject to the "affirmative procedure" whereby it is voted on (but cannot be amended) by Parliament. It's been several decades, I think, since the affirmative procedure has come out with a "no". But there is a vote.

The vast majority of SIs are subject to the "negative procedure" where they are laid for inspection for however many days it is, but there is not normally any vote unless a motion is brought to annul it, and I believe that would normally be held in the Delegated Legislation Committee rather than the House (although it's vanishingly rare anyway).
    Ah, thank you for that - very helpful. So it also depends what Labour and the LDs think, as well as the SNP. And the UUs and PC and others. Not just the Tories.
    Yes. As I say, it'd be extremely unusual to say the least for an "affirmative procedure" to come out with a "no". But, if it was ever going to happen, this is the sort of thing on which it might.

Although since the SNP would surely be onside, Johnson could survive a huge rebellion even if Labour objected (and I don't think they would).
    Thank you for that. I do however suspect that Messrs BJ and DC - not to mention Mr Gove - would try and use the poisoned pawn a la Cunningham in 1978 and dare the SNP to vote it down.
  • Let's start by having fewer laws

What things do you yearn to do that are currently illegal?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    The issue arises when law is used as a tool of tyranny. That could happen in the US shortly.
  • Let's start by having fewer laws

Or at least one in one out. The ever growing number of unenforced laws that very few know or understand and are only introduced in the name of something must be done needs to be addressed.
  • Dido - no one could have expected a rise for demand for covid tests when the schools went back!
  • Fewer laws would be better definitely.

FPT not inventing laws that don't exist either would be good too.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, Boris Johnson is absolutely stupid enough to allow a second referendum on Scottish separation, vain enough to think he'd be an asset for the union side, and incompetent enough to screw up the negotiations to such an extent everywhere north of the Watford Gap becomes part of Greater Scotland.

He won't as Tory MPs will block it, it is Westminster that has to approve the legislation for it he himself cannot do it and even if it was allowed and Scotland did vote for independence the Scottish borders for example could remain part of the UK given it would likely vote heavily No
    Isn't a Section 30 order by definition an administrative order rather than an Act?
    Tory MPs would I expect topple Boris by vote of no confidence if he even considered doing it and replace him with Rishi Sunak as PM
    You said clearly 'legislation' for MPs to approve. Quite different thing.

Moving the goalposts again. Like retreating from the Oder-Neisse line to the Tiergarten Flakturm.
    The Scotland Act could also be amended given the Tory majority
    It is a Section 30 order thaty is being discussed today. Not fourth and fifth order hypotheticals.

Anjd consider the impact of doing what you suggest.

2014 was a once in a generation referendum, end of conversation, nationalists should consider themselves lucky they even got one referendum then, the Tory government could have followed the Madrid line under Rajoy and banned it and arrested Sturgeon for sedition.

Thankfully that is not for you to decide. And your attitude on this is utterly shameful.
    Plus he's invented crimes that don't exist. Sedition isn't a crime in Scotland, so it would be interesting to know who is going to arrest Sturgeon for sedition when there is no law against sedition there.
    Westminster remains the supreme lawmaker in the UK and treason is a crime UK wide
    Sedition isn't a crime in Scotland. High Treason is a very limited crime under the law. What did Sturgeon do that was High Treason?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_in_the_United_Kingdom#:~:text=Under the law of the United Kingdom, high,is the crime of disloyalty to the Crown.

Did Sturgeon plot the death of the Queen?
    Did she "violate" Camilla?
    Did she levy war in the realm?
    Did she adhere to sovereign's enemies?
    Did she murder the Lord Chancellor or Lord High Treasurer?
    Did she attempt to stop Charles for succeeding to the throne?
    Did she kill the Lords of Session or Lords of Justiciary?
    Did she counterfeit the Great Seal of Scotland?

If you're going to arrest someone they need to break an actual law not one you made up in your head like "sedition".
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

Dido - no one could have expected a rise for demand for covid tests when the schools went back!

Wasn't it the magnitude that was unexpected, not the rise itself?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Great article Cyclefree. Hope you're holding up well - at least there now appears to be a tentative timetable for hope.
  • RobD said:

Dido - no one could have expected a rise for demand for covid tests when the schools went back!

Yes, she wasnt expecting a "really sizeable increase", whatever that means in the fluff of the chumocracy.

Lots of people were expecting a really sizeable increase.
    edited November 2020

Fewer laws would be better definitely.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Tory MPs would I expect topple Boris by vote of no confidence if he even considered doing it and replace him with Rishi Sunak as PM

Moving the goalposts again. Like retreating from the Oder-Neisse line to the Tiergarten Flakturm.
    It is a Section 30 order thaty is being discussed today. Not fourth and fifth order hypotheticals.

2014 was a once in a generation referendum, end of conversation, nationalists should consider themselves lucky they even got one referendum then, the Tory government could have followed the Madrid line under Rajoy and banned it and arrested Sturgeon for sedition.

Thankfully that is not for you to decide. And your attitude on this is utterly shameful.
    Plus he's invented crimes that don't exist. Sedition isn't a crime in Scotland, so it would be interesting to know who is going to arrest Sturgeon for sedition when there is no law against sedition there.
    Westminster remains the supreme lawmaker in the UK and treason is a crime UK wide
    Sedition isn't a crime in Scotland. High Treason is a very limited crime under the law. What did Sturgeon do that was High Treason?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_in_the_United_Kingdom#:~:text=Under the law of the United Kingdom, high,is the crime of disloyalty to the Crown.

If you're going to arrest someone they need to break an actual law not one you made up in your head like "sedition".
    There's also the small problem that the infamous treason trials in Scotland in the 1790s-1820s had to import English law and lawyers to do so. I could never get my head around this and I'm not sure of the legal side, but only some Scots lawyers stood up to this. Maybe @DavidL would know better? Edit - I mean, in explaining this or pointing me to something to explain it.
  • Carnyx said:

Fewer laws would be better definitely.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

There's also the small problem that the infamous treason trials in Scotland in the 1790s-1820s had to import English law and lawyers to do so. I could never get my head around this and I'm not sure of the legal side, but only some Scots lawyers stood up to this. Maybe @DavidL would know better? Edit - I mean, in explaining this or pointing me to something to explain it.
    Indeed and that was before modern legal moves like abolishing "sedition" as a common law - which HYUFD wants Sturgeon arrested for despite statute saying it is not a crime.
  • RobD said:

Yes, she wasnt expecting a "really sizeable increase", whatever that means in the fluff of the chumocracy.

And she has no view on when the next sizeable increase is likely - its clear she hasnt even considered the question "I defer to the clinical experts on that, it is not my job to know the answer to that question"

Absolute disgrace, how can she plan testing when she has not even considered when the next demand in testing will come?
    Carnyx said:

Oh goody, Cyclefree again. Thank you!

But FPT -

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It is, although it's an unusual type of statutory instrument in that it's subject to the "affirmative procedure" whereby it is voted on (but cannot be amended) by Parliament. It's been several decades, I think, since the affirmative procedure has come out with a "no". But there is a vote.

The vast majority of SIs are subject to the "negative procedure" where they are laid for inspection for however many days it is, but there is not normally any vote unless a motion is brought to annul it, and I believe that would normally be held in the Delegated Legislation Committee rather than the House (although it's vanishingly rare anyway).
    Ah, thank you for that - very helpful. So it also depends what Labour and the LDs think, as well as the SNP. And the UUs and PC and others. Not just the Tories.
    Yes. As I say, it'd be extremely unusual to say the least for an "affirmative procedure" to come out with a "no". But, if it was ever going to happen, this is the sort of thing on which it might.

Although since the SNP would surely be onside, Johnson could survive a huge rebellion even if Labour objected (and I don't think they would).
    Thank you for that. I do however suspect that Messrs BJ and DC - not to mention Mr Gove - would try and use the poisoned pawn a la Cunningham in 1978 and dare the SNP to vote it down.
    Sorry - just seen you've covered this on the previouys thread.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Let's start by having fewer laws

Isn't that the point? While ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, it is impossible not to be ignorant in at least some aspects of the law. How can anyone answer your question? We know all the things we want to do (although not necessarily all the things we might want to do in the future), but we don't have the time in a lifetime to know if indeed all those things are legal.
  • FTP
    HYUFD said:

You talk such tripe and nonsense over Scotland and it frightens me that you have anything to do with the conservative party, let alone chair a constituency

The Scottish Secretary Alister Jack just 4 days ago said there would be no indyref2 allowed for 25 to 40 years, I merely reflect the government line from the Minister concerned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54827100
    And this government does so many 180 turns that you can't believe a word of it. And again it isn't up to Alastair Jack he's just the Scottish Secretary.

Its both Unaffordable and Morally Wrong to feed hungry kids.
    Then a day later
    Its great news that this government is feeding hungry kids

Both positions from the mouths of spinless wazzock Tory MPs. So I don't care what a Tory MP is saying on any given subject on any given day - when ordered to say the exact opposite they will do so without drawing a breath.
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

Certain sections of twitter assure me that it's illegal to be a white, English male nowadays. Hunted down like vermin, they are.
  • Pulpstar said:

The issue arises when law is used as a tool of tyranny. That could happen in the US shortly.

Hi Pulpstar

Have sent a Vanilla email to a group of people but would be particularly obliged if you could respond.

Thanks.

PtP

RobD said:

That’s just a way of saying that an increase of that size was not expected. If they expected no rise, they wouldn’t have increased capacity.
  • RobD said:

And she has no view on when the next sizeable increase is likely - its clear she hasnt even considered the question "I defer to the clinical experts on that, it is not my job to know the answer to that question"

Absolute disgrace, how can she plan testing when she has not even considered when the next demand in testing will come?
    It is pretty impossible to know when the next sizeable increase would be since we have no dates on the horizon like the return to school was.

Surely it is more important that when the next sizeable increase occurs, whenever it occurs, we are ready for it? We have the capacity and can scale up our response?
  • Lawyers are the antibodies of society. Without them, the body politic is dead, and no complexity can exist.
    Life reduced to a minute-by-minute anarchy of temporary corporeal power relations maybe desirable for some, but I'm with Hobbes in thinking that it would be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Lawyers are the antibodies of society. Without them, the body politic is dead, and no complexity can exist.
    Life reduced to a minute-by-minute anarchy of temporary corporeal power relations maybe desirable for some, but I'm with Hobbes in thinking that it would be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

And their gatekeepers and facilitators too - trade unions, CAB, Legal Aid, a decent courts service, university courses and training that are reasonably open to talent rather than juist wealth.
  • On topic. My namesake of ccurse would have excluded lawyers from parliament. I presume this was because of vested interests: the ability to pass laws that would result in the legal profession being able to charge fees
  • Fewer lawyers might be a good idea. But for the moment, it would be better if those with any shred of morals stayed in their posts, if only to avoid being replaced by one of Trump's lackeys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54882647
  • Pulpstar said:

Its a really interesting @Cyclefree piece as always, and this becomes the key point. If the law is a neutral arbiter of the facts then I am more than happy for lawyers and laws. I fear that we need so many lawyers as so much of the law is poorly drafted, and so much of the law is so poorly drafted because we have so many lawyers there to help translate it into practicalities.

What we have to resist on this side of the Atlantic is the idea that the law is a political playground where highly partisan lawyers and politicians can make laws that are written and interpreted to bypass good governance and process. I know that such accusations were thrown at the Supreme Court when it ruled the prorogation to be improper, but that was mainly based on wild accusations attributing the action to being a proxy for the Brexit argument.

The Rule of Law is critically important. For shame that the government seem perfectly content to subvert it for their own tactical reasons.
  • Carnyx said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Lawyers are the antibodies of society. Without them, the body politic is dead, and no complexity can exist.

And their gatekeepers and facilitators too - trade unions, CAB, Legal Aid, a decent courts service, university courses and training that are reasonably open to talent rather than juist wealth.
    And taxation to ensure it's all paid for by a dispassionate funders, and democracy vaccinate against regulatory capture, and free speech to ensure that voters can be informed..
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,606
    edited November 2020

RobD said:

It is pretty impossible to know when the next sizeable increase would be since we have no dates on the horizon like the return to school was.

Surely it is more important that when the next sizeable increase occurs, whenever it occurs, we are ready for it? We have the capacity and can scale up our response?
    Not really, for example a joined up government response might be to stagger the return of schools and universities if all returning at once would break the level of testing capacity again, which it probably will. If the head of testing isnt considering asking for options like this to be considered because they dont forecast the level of testing required it is disgraceful and incompetent.
  • kjh said:

In response to posts on last thread between @Philip_Thompson and @HYUFD

HYUFD you accuse Philip of not being a Tory because he has voted for another party in the past and that to be a Tory he must always vote Tory

Below is the reply I made on the last thread:

What happened to principles? As discussed before you are not supporting a football team.

If the LDs started to support Fascism or Communism I'm off. I joined them because of what I believe in, not because I like the colour Orange.

I feel free to vote for whoever I like and I am still a Liberal.

Well said.

I am classically liberal. I believe in social liberalism and economic liberalism in the classic sense though that now gets called dry or conservative.

The Conservatives, the party of Thatcher, Cameron, Osborne etc cover that for me. If they stop representing me, and Theresa May did not, then I will stop supporting them.

The party you vote for should reflect your beliefs. Your beliefs should not reflect the party you vote for.
  • RobD said:

Not really, for example a joined up government response might be to stagger the return of schools and universities if all returning at once would break the level of testing capacity again, which it probably will. If the head of testing isnt considering asking for options like this to be considered because they dont forecast the level of testing required it is disgraceful and incompetent.
    That's not in her remit or what was asked.

The return to schools has already happened. There is no return due again until after the next summer holidays which isn't what testing needs to be thinking about right now.
  • RobD said:

The return to schools has already happened. There is no return due again until after the next summer holidays which isn't what testing needs to be thinking about right now.
    I dont know the exact dates but kids have Christmas off, restart in January but also you will have 1-2 millions students moving around the country in December and again in January. Cases will depend on those movements, and testing depends on cases.

Its incredulous that the remit of the head of testing hasnt got a view or any interest in the expected demand for testing.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,925

FTP

HYUFD said:

You talk such tripe and nonsense over Scotland and it frightens me that you have anything to do with the conservative party, let alone chair a constituency

The Scottish Secretary Alister Jack just 4 days ago said there would be no indyref2 allowed for 25 to 40 years, I merely reflect the government line from the Minister concerned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54827100
    And this government does so many 180 turns that you can't believe a word of it. And again it isn't up to Alastair Jack he's just the Scottish Secretary.

Its both Unaffordable and Morally Wrong to feed hungry kids.
    Then a day later
    Its great news that this government is feeding hungry kids

Both positions from the mouths of spinless wazzock Tory MPs. So I don't care what a Tory MP is saying on any given subject on any given day - when ordered to say the exact opposite they will do so without drawing a breath.
    Spinless is an excellent typo, if that is what it was.
    edited November 2020
    Not quite believing the Guido story about the PM's tweet I looked at it myself. You can definitely see the word Trump in the message. Utter beggars belief. I actually can't think of how you would do this without it being intentional.

https://order-order.com/2020/11/10/number-10s-message-to-biden-originally-congratulated-trump
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,168
    TimT said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Isn't that the point? While ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, it is impossible not to be ignorant in at least some aspects of the law. How can anyone answer your question? We know all the things we want to do (although not necessarily all the things we might want to do in the future), but we don't have the time in a lifetime to know if indeed all those things are legal.
    The volume of law has been growing at a staggering rate for a long time. It is almost as if the volume of law is related to the capabilities of the systems that generate it, rather than requirements.

Much of it seems to be created by copy & pasta....

I am trying to remember the science fiction writer - might be Charlie Stross - who postulated that one endpoint for civilisations would be for an entire star system to be turned into Matrioshka brains. These would, until the end of time, run AIs which are sentient descendants of corporations/government functions, interacting through ever more complex legal systems they spin between themselves. The original, biological entities would be long extinct.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,213
    Someone was asking about Trump approval ratings. According to 538, there have been 2 polls since the election - Rasmussen and Ipsos. Both show an increase in Trump's net approval since the last pre-election polls
    Rasmussen -1 to +5
    Ipsos -12 to -9
    Could be just noise, or an initial hardening among Republican supporters
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
    kamski said:

Someone was asking about Trump approval ratings. According to 538, there have been 2 polls since the election - Rasmussen and Ipsos. Both show an increase in Trump's net approval since the last pre-election polls
    Rasmussen -1 to +5
    Ipsos -12 to -9
    Could be just noise, or an initial hardening among Republican supporters
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Also note the sample dates are mostly before it became clear that Biden had won, and Trump's refusal to concede
  • RobD said:

Not quite believing the Guido story about the PM's tweet I looked at it myself. You can definitely see the word Trump in the message. Utter beggars belief. I actually can't think of how you would do this without it being intentional.

https://order-order.com/2020/11/10/number-10s-message-to-biden-originally-congratulated-trump

Two Letters Boris up to that sort of jiggery pokery? Surely not.

RobD said:

I dont know the exact dates but kids have Christmas off, restart in January but also you will have 1-2 millions students moving around the country in December and again in January. Cases will depend on those movements, and testing depends on cases.

Its incredulous that the remit of the head of testing hasnt got a view or any interest in the expected demand for testing.
    Very good point. Add the urge for family reunion att he season even without bairns and students involved. And people getting pished indoors ...
  • Julia H-B is certainly exceptional, exceptionally what is another question.

https://twitter.com/LeaskyHT/status/1326111467201028096?s=20
  • RobD said:

That's not the question that was asked again, you're making things up.

Freshers Flu happens in September not January for a reason. Kids having Christmas off and restarting after a two week break isn't same thing as the return after the summer holidays.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,934
    kjh said:

HYUFD you accuse Philip of not being a Tory because he has voted for another party in the past and that to be a Tory he must always vote Tory

What happened to principles? As discussed before you are not supporting a football team.

If the LDs started to support Fascism or Communism I'm off. I joined them because of what I believe in, not because I like the colour Orange.

As I said in reply as an atheist republican who does not care about the Union, Philip does not even have any core Tory principles either ie support for the Church of England, the monarchy, the Union etc, at most he is a right leaning pro Brexit libertarian, he is not, never has been and never will be a Tory

RobD said:

Madness. Here's my go at bringing the words out:

https://i.imgur.com/xNWBX1Q.png
    https://i.imgur.com/3mwd56z.png

The second one is much clearer. This has to be deliberate. Any sane person would simply delete the previous image or at the very least replace the text in the text box in whatever software they are using.
    edited November 2020
    On topic, we still have nowhere near the level of lawyers and court and legal interventions as the USA as the last week has yet again proved
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

As I said in reply as an atheist republican who does not care about the Union, Philip does not even have any core Tory principles either ie support for the Church of England, the monarchy, the Union etc, at most he is a right leaning pro Brexit libertarian, he is not, never has been and never will be a Tory
    The Tory party died nearly two centuries ago. The nickname is used by Conservatives but we aren't in the 17th century there are more important issues in politics than the Church.

I believe in the Conservative Party of Robert Peel, Benjamin Disraeli, Margaret Thatcher, David Cameron etc . . . what do you believe in?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,606
    edited November 2020

RobD said:

Freshers Flu happens in September not January for a reason. Kids having Christmas off and restarting after a two week break isn't same thing as the return after the summer holidays.
    The question was when is the next spike in testing demand expected. Her answer was "it is not my job to know the answer to that question". Nothing made up.
  • RobD said:

More to the point, they are starting and mixing for the first time, rather than returning
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RobD said:

What sort of software that an adult would use would produce this sort of effect? It looks as if it was done in Paint, or a facebook add-on for making birthday messages in.
    Mapreader said:

RobD said:

More to the point, they are starting and mixing for the first time, rather than returning
    But the students are returning home with their new poxes. So it's still an issue.
  • RobD said:

I'd say December: university student go back home...
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

The Tory party died nearly two centuries ago. The nickname is used by Conservatives but we aren't in the 17th century there are more important issues in politics than the Church.

I believe in the Conservative Party of Robert Peel, Benjamin Disraeli, Margaret Thatcher, David Cameron etc . . . what do you believe in?
    [deleted]
    RobD said:

RobD said:

The second one is much clearer. This has to be deliberate. Any sane person would simply delete the previous image or at the very least replace the text in the text box in whatever software they are using.
    Slapdash amateurism.
    Very much of a piece.
  • Carnyx said:

Mapreader said:

RobD said:

But the students are returning home with their new poxes. So it's still an issue.
    Even if it wont cause a spike, that is not the issue, I don't know if it will or it wont.

The issue is that the head of testing, not only doesn't know either, she has zero interest in considering and investigating if there will be one.
  • RobD said:

Oh Dear God...

I despise Guido / Skwarkbox and the "journalism" they represent but occasionally they generate an actual story and this definitely is a story.

I thought Cummings was supposed to be the master communicator?
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

All of those you mentioned were Anglicans with Disraeli and Thatcher converting to the Church of England, all were monarchists, Disraeli famously so in his relationship with Queen Victoria and all were supportive of the Union, as Cameron showed in 2014.

So I repeat you do not believe in the same party they do, you are not, never have been and never will be a Tory or a Conservative even in its 19th century guise when you would have been a Liberal not a Tory or its current guise when you have more in common with New Labour, Farage or even the Orange Book LDs than you do the Conservative Party
  • RobD said:

The question was when is the next spike in testing demand expected. Her answer was "it is not my job to know the answer to that question". Nothing made up.
    Because its not. Ensuring they have more than enough capacity for expected demand is her job but that's a different question to when the next spike will be if expected demand isn't including any more expected spikes.
  • HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You are definitely the only gay Tory in the village
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

All of those you mentioned were Anglicans with Disraeli and Thatcher converting to the Church of England, all were monarchists, Disraeli famously so in his relationship with Queen Victoria and all were supportive of the Union, as Cameron showed in 2014.

So I repeat you do not believe in the same party they do, you are not, never have been and never will be a Tory or a Conservative even in its 19th century guise when you would have been a Liberal not a Tory or its current guise when you have more in common with New Labour, Farage or even the Orange Book LDs than you do the Conservative Party
    I don't intend to be a 19th century Conservative, I am a 21st century one. 🙄

I couldn't care less if they were all Anglicans either, that isn't what they are most famous for. Peel created the modern Conservative Party, repealed the Corn Laws, carried Catholic emancipation etc - you are nothing like that. You know nothing about our own parties history it seems and are more of a relic than Jacob Rees Mogg.
  • RobD said:

Because its not. Ensuring they have more than enough capacity for expected demand is her job but that's a different question to when the next spike will be if expected demand isn't including any more expected spikes.
    And that is the problem with govt by targets in a nutshell. Boris gives her a target to be world class. Dido meets it.

But they have both failed because they are so narrowly focused, not looking at the big picture and planning ahead.

Pulpstar said:

Its a really interesting @Cyclefree piece as always, and this becomes the key point. If the law is a neutral arbiter of the facts then I am more than happy for lawyers and laws. I fear that we need so many lawyers as so much of the law is poorly drafted, and so much of the law is so poorly drafted because we have so many lawyers there to help translate it into practicalities.

What we have to resist on this side of the Atlantic is the idea that the law is a political playground where highly partisan lawyers and politicians can make laws that are written and interpreted to bypass good governance and process. I know that such accusations were thrown at the Supreme Court when it ruled the prorogation to be improper, but that was mainly based on wild accusations attributing the action to being a proxy for the Brexit argument.

The Rule of Law is critically important. For shame that the government seem perfectly content to subvert it for their own tactical reasons.
    The problem comes with what the purpose of the law was.

I once had a discussion with some lawyers, where the subject of constitutionalism came up. In their view, a country like Switzerland, where the population can (nearly) completely control the law through referenda was not "right:". This was, in their view, because what they regarded as fundamental rights were not untouchable by this method of change.

That is, they wanted certain rights to be legally defined. But utterly unchangeable by any process. Said rights to be defined by.... well, themselves.

The problem with this idea is that a constitution etc is a nice idea. But people change. So the law needs to change. Not by re-interpretation. Actually change.

"Can't" isn't a word that will last in a democracy.
  • RobD said:

I've been warning about this for weeks. Students - especially those in halls - have been harshly locked down, a perfect breeding ground for the pox which has torn through them. At Christmas they take it back home and give it to parents siblings auntie Doris etc.
    I for one look forward to the day when only committed Anglicans can vote Tory.
    Might be the day before we get a competent government.
  • RobD said:

Jesus Christ. You’re right.
  • RobD said:

I've been warning about this for weeks. Students - especially those in halls - have been harshly locked down, a perfect breeding ground for the pox which has torn through them. At Christmas they take it back home and give it to parents siblings auntie Doris etc.
    You will be told no-one could have foreseen this when Dido meets the select committee in the new year.
    edited November 2020
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Slapdash amateurism.
    Very much of a piece.
    It has to be deliberate. I can't imagine what you'd have to accidentally do to get only small parts of the text appearing.
  • RobD said:

Oh Dear God...

I despise Guido / Skwarkbox and the "journalism" they represent but occasionally they generate an actual story and this definitely is a story.

I thought Cummings was supposed to be the master communicator?
    Loathe Guido's site, but he's got a cracking scoop here.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    After having had my fingers burned slightly with the change to the ONS estimates of infection last week, I looked at getting an alternative (and more reliable) data source.

(This is not to take a pop at the ONS or their infection survey - they're doing an excellent job in finding decent data; it's just that it is, by its nature, subject to revision).

Using the hospitalisation data figures (as Wales has different rules than the other nations for hospitalisation, I've taken the England figures and multiplied by 1.2, which will be a source of error as an approximation as the other Home Nations are following different strategies, but it will be broadly accurate), I took the lagged deaths-per-hospitalisation (running at about 26.5% looking at the recent average).

This will obviously be fairly accurate for past days; it's the projection that's interesting. It does project a discernably lower peak than the historical-IFR-against-infection-estimates.

I therefore have a mental preference for this, of course. It will be interesting to see which one marches closer with the data as it comes in. (I'm rooting for the lower one).

Deaths from lagged hospitalisations are shown in light blue. Actual deaths in red. Original projections against estimated infection rates in light yellow (so it colours the red to orange when the deaths are below that projection).

• Pulpstar said:

I once had a discussion with some lawyers, where the subject of constitutionalism came up. In their view, a country like Switzerland, where the population can (nearly) completely control the law through referenda was not "right:". This was, in their view, because what they regarded as fundamental rights were not untouchable by this method of change.

That is, they wanted certain rights to be legally defined. But utterly unchangeable by any process. Said rights to be defined by.... well, themselves.

The problem with this idea is that a constitution etc is a nice idea. But people change. So the law needs to change. Not by re-interpretation. Actually change.

Absolutely.

The UK's unwritten constitution has provided a more stable guarantee of basic rights than constitutionalism has achieved in a great many places.
  • What I don't understand about HYUFD's routine about him being the only gay Tory in the village. Most political parties want people to identify with them. Support them. Vote for them. HYUFD seems to think the Conservative Party is his own personal fiefdom, with anybody else not worthy of being called a Conservative.

This Epping Conservative Association he runs. Does it have many members? Do they get the same absurd elitism from the chair?

I've seen Momentum branches run in a more inclusive manner.
  • RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Slapdash amateurism.
    Very much of a piece.
    It has to be deliberate. I can't imagine what you'd have to accidentally do to get only small parts of the text appearing.
    Whats the angle? Is it to gain favour with Trump(ists)?

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Slapdash amateurism.
    Very much of a piece.
    Disgruntled intern? :D
  • HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You are so arrogant and as I said on the last thread, spout utter tripe best schooled in the bigoted far right

I do not agree with Philip on the Union but just what gives you the right to say he is not a conservative, just as you say the same thing to me because on just two occasions in my 77 years I voted for Blair, the rest solid conservative

Not only that I was campaigning for the party in the sixties and was asked to be a conservative county councillor in the 1966. Not one person I have canvassed with over five decades would recognise your extreme intolerant views about myself .

You need to show far more compassion and understanding as you are a very divisive character in our party which belongs to all of us, not you nor are you the arbiter of who is a conservative

What I don't understand about HYUFD's routine about him being the only gay Tory in the village. Most political parties want people to identify with them. Support them. Vote for them. HYUFD seems to think the Conservative Party is his own personal fiefdom, with anybody else not worthy of being called a Conservative.

This Epping Conservative Association he runs. Does it have many members? Do they get the same absurd elitism from the chair?

We want people to vote for us who share Tory values and certainly only join us if they share Tory values, you might sometimes win a few swing voters at election time like Philip who do not share all your party's principles but that does not mean they should become Tory members
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,928
    Very interesting first edition of the new series of The Long View on R4. It compares the 2020 US presidential election with that of 1800. A challenger (Jefferson) defeats a one term president (Adams) in a campaign dominated by strong and harsh media claims about the future of the country. The only jarring note was that to my mind the personalities of the candidates were reversed - Jefferson was more Trump and Adams more Biden.
  • RobD said:

https://twitter.com/JackHadders/status/1326121474831347713?s=20

Julia H-B is certainly exceptional, exceptionally what is another question.

Not just "shampoo". Also "conditioner". "wash and go".
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

2 billion plus billions more are protected by our military. Do the MOD know this? Think they may be a little stretched.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,180
    HYUFD said:

What I don't understand about HYUFD's routine about him being the only gay Tory in the village. Most political parties want people to identify with them. Support them. Vote for them. HYUFD seems to think the Conservative Party is his own personal fiefdom, with anybody else not worthy of being called a Conservative.

We want people to vote for us who share Tory values and certainly only join us if they share Tory values, you might sometimes win a few swing voters at election time like Philip who do not share all your party's principles but that does not mean they should become Tory members
    Problem is, you yourself are an example of someone who either shouldn't be let into the current Conservative Party, or who is simply not to be trusted with their beliefs given that they change so completely when their party doesn't agree with them.

You are a remainer. You think that the UK would be better off inside the EU. And well done you for not shying away from that. But the Conservative Party does not think like you. It thinks the UK would be better off outside the EU.

Hence, either you shouldn't be in party, or your political beliefs mean nothing whatsoever because they change on a whim.
    This CofE thing smacks of a very little SE Englander outlook. In large parts of England, let alone the rest of the UK, there are barely any.
    That is, in itself, is very revealing about a certain kind of Tory mindset. And chimes with much of the present attitude and travails of the government.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/JackHadders/status/1326121474831347713?s=20
    Cant see what the fuss is about, Biden isn't good with names
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Slapdash amateurism.
    Very much of a piece.
    Disgruntled intern? :D
    Another question, who on earth analyses twitter gifs in various photoshop brightness settings and why? How many images have they looked at before they found this scoop!?
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,879
    kjh said:

2 billion plus billions more are protected by our military. Do the MOD know this? Think they may be a little stretched.
    I didn't know that "British" is a language.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,180

That said, what people need to understand about @HYUFD is that he has aspirations to become an MP and atm the route he has identified as being the one most likely to take him there is as member of the Conservative Party. Hence, he is a vocal proponent of the Party to the detriment and dismissal of everything else and every other view.

Which is fine because to be a Cons MP that is what you need and what you need to have been via your social media presence. And when the time comes he will be able to point to his unswerving loyalty to the Conservative Party on social media, as with everywhere else.

His dirty little secret (he is a remainer) he hopes to disguise by his "will of the people" schtick.

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You are so arrogant and as I said on the last thread, spout utter tripe best schooled in the bigoted far right

I do not agree with Philip on the Union but just what gives you the right to say he is not a conservative, just as you say the same thing to me because on just two occasions in my 77 years I voted for Blair, the rest solid conservative

Not only that I was campaigning for the party in the sixties and was asked to be a conservative county councillor in the 1966. Not one person I have canvassed with over five decades would recognise your extreme intolerant views about myself .

You need to show far more compassion and understanding as you are a very divisive character in our party which belongs to all of us, not you nor are you the arbiter of who is a conservative

As you yourself have just said you voted for New Labour twice and there is nothing remotely bigoted about respecting the fact 2014 was a once in a generation vote.

In Epping Forest prospective members now have to undergo an interview to check they share Tory values and their commitment to the party before they are allowed to join the party
  • HYUFD said:

But which principles are those? I'm sure you can draw a Venn diagram with an overlap between the Conservative principles of (say) Ted Heath and IDS, or between John Major and Boris Johnson, but that overlap wouldn't be large.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052

kjh said:

Well said.

I am classically liberal. I believe in social liberalism and economic liberalism in the classic sense though that now gets called dry or conservative.

The Conservatives, the party of Thatcher, Cameron, Osborne etc cover that for me. If they stop representing me, and Theresa May did not, then I will stop supporting them.

The party you vote for should reflect your beliefs. Your beliefs should not reflect the party you vote for.
    I get your drift but in practice it is more which party is closer to your beliefs rather than fully aligned with them. Unlikely the latter will ever occur for most people. Take me, for example. I have always voted Labour in GEs because every manifestation of Labour (from Foot to Starmer) has always been closer to my political beliefs than any manifestation of the Tories (from Thatcher to Johnson) and I have never lived in a seat where a tactical vote made sense. Nevertheless I sometimes dislike or disagree with Labour policies. I am even very occasionally not utterly repelled by a Tory one.
  • Selebian said:

RobD said:

Jesus Christ. You’re right.

It's really odd, isn't it? Can only imagine that a soft eraser/soft brush tool or clone tool from other parts of te background was used to obliterate the original text and the job was not sufficiently thorough in the couple of places. But I can't imagine why anyone would do it that way instead of starting from a new image (obvious approach) or simply using a colour matched rectangle to cover the text (hacky approach, but would also work). It's just a plain background, so not hard to do either.

The other odd thing is, with all the polling, why would you have a Trump version prepared and not a Biden version? Or, if both were done in advance why do the Trump version first and - particularly - why not do a proper job?

Does make me wonder what else might be hiding in the background of other No. 10 tweets if the same person has been doing these images for a while!
    Just a suggestion, but maybe the original tweet was drafted lazily by some junior oik when he thought it was clear Trump would win. Said oik then had to quickly redraft when the awful truth began to reveal itself.

There are other more interesting and salacious interpretaions but Occam's razor and all that...
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

As you yourself have just said you voted for New Labour twice and there is nothing remotely bigoted about respecting the fact 2014 was a once in a generation vote.

In Epping Forest prospective members now have to undergo an interview to check they share Tory values and their commitment to the party before they are allowed to join the party
    You really are a Blue Corbynite.

Be good for Epping Forest to become a swing seat one day so you can face a bit of reality.

HYUFD said:

But which principles are those? I'm sure you can draw a Venn diagram with an overlap between the Conservative principles of (say) Ted Heath and IDS, or between John Major and Boris Johnson, but that overlap wouldn't be large.
    Yes, they are all (or were in the case of Heath) monarchists and Unionists and 3/4 of them are or were Anglicans with the exception of IDS who is Catholic but he shares enough other Tory values to still be a Tory
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

How powerful is the lamp? Do you use the good cop bad cop routine of interrogation?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Who defines "Tory values"? Have you got a list?

edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

You really are a Blue Corbynite.

Be good for Epping Forest to become a swing seat one day so you can face a bit of reality.
    At one time it was, Labour won Epping in 1945, 1964 and 1966 (although it included Harlow at that time which it does not now), however given Dame Eleanor Laing got a majority of 22,173 at the last general election and won 64% of the vote it will likely remain safe Tory for decades
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they are all (or were in the case of Heath) monarchists and Unionists and 3/4 of them are or were Anglicans with the exception of IDS who is Catholic but he shares enough other Tory values to still be a Tory
    There it is, the modern Tory party: so inclusive you can still be a Tory even if you are a Catholic!
  • HYUFD said:

You are a very sad individual and to be honest CCHQ should investigate your bigoted comments, especially due to your position in your local constituency
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"other Tory values".

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Being an Anglican is not a Tory value.

Please find me anywhere in the Conservative Manifesto or Conservative Party Code of Conduct that states that being an Anglican is a Tory value.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

For the avoidance of doubt, Hyufd, you should confirm that you are referring to EF the constituency and not the place. Heaven forbid I should be arraigned by the local conservative party when next loitering in High Beach (as one does) and cross-examined on my core beliefs.

Btw, must get back to you on 'the main event'. Much to say, mostly uncontroversial, but too mightliy distracted by current instabilty in the US so may have to keep for a bit.

Warm regards

PtP
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What about Michael Howard? Why is being an Anglican important at all?

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely.

The UK's unwritten constitution has provided a more stable guarantee of basic rights than constitutionalism has achieved in a great many places.
    The problem is the old one of Who Guards The Guardians. Or perhaps Who Owns The Guardians.

In theory, a set of tablets, guarded by the High Priests (all venerable and above reproach) sounds like a good idea. But....

Back to the favourite Roman example - Ceasarism was the end result of the oligarchs (The Senate) declaring that they not only controlled Rome, they controlled the constitution and the interpretation of it. Anyone passing laws they didn't like - well, head count reduction was their answer.

A constitution needs to reflect the will of the people. If you don't trust the people, then what you want is not democracy.

Ultimately, any freedom that will survive has to be rooted in the support of the populace, in a democracy.

What the constitution can do, in such as system, is work as a sort of seven-day-average, avoiding the day to day spikes in popularity of various things. The Swiss system isn't *instant* popular democracy - and specifically for that reason IIRC.
This discussion has been closed.