Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The politics of interest rates: New YouGov poll finds more

2»

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    O/T 1. Has anyone looked at the (Ipsos-Mori?) poll that is being quoted by the RSPCA in defence of their claim that 80% of people in the UK don't want hunting to be re-legalised?

O/T 2. Whenever Suarez gets the ball it electrifies the attack. Arsenal should have paid £86m for him
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

Let's get out of this barmy organisation, that is going madder by the day:

2/Traditional-Danish-pasties-threatened-by-EU-cinnamon-ban.html

Link no worky - this is it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10538172/Traditional-Danish-pasties-threatened-by-EU-cinnamon-ban.html

They won't disappear; hopefully people will now bake them at home and sell them tax-free to neighbours and friends. Shops will suffer and people will be irritated and a whole new class of cinnamon-criminal will be created, but our EU masters don't care about that.

Although the Swedes seem to have found a way around it. So it's just the local Danish polis getting all bureaucratic and inflexible.
  • Options

TFS is right to hold on. Milibands govt will protect public service pensions, and conditions of service better than the Tories will. It will not be a great govt, but by 2020, UKIP will have split the right effectively that Miliband will win a second term.

Public service workers don't deserve to have their terms and conditions protected any more than any other worker. And certainly not at the expense of the rest of the country who then have to work longer and harder to support them.

There are lots of people out there doing jobs just as important and just as tough as those done by public sector workers who have none of their protection nor the ability to retire at a lower age in spite of the fact their jobs are tougher both physically and mentally. I am afraid this special pleading by certain groups who think they are more deserving than the rest of the population is something that needs to be challenged at every turn.
    To be fair, I mostly agree with you, but successive governments have mishandled public sector pensions since the year dot, it's just that our generation is the one that has to carry the can for it now.
    I'm lucky,my pension is protected, due to my length of service and age, but I work with people who are going to see their pension lose thousands, and work longer. Now, you can say "tough s#!t" and that's understandable, the private sector is tough too, but we just think we have to fight to get something a little more in our favour.
    New starters will get substantially worse pensions than the current old guard, but they will pay significantly less into it, anyway, and work longer. That's been agreed already.
    We're not particularly well paid, but the pension made up for that. The last offer by the government wasn't really that far off, but they took that off the table in a fit of pique. The real sticking point was sacking firefighters who failed the fitness test, and then withholding their pension, and cutting it significantly, until retirement age. That needs resolving, as the government's own commissioned report actually agreed with us!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    TOPPING said:

O/T 1. Has anyone looked at the (Ipsos-Mori?) poll that is being quoted by the RSPCA in defence of their claim that 80% of people in the UK don't want hunting to be re-legalised?

O/T 2. Whenever Suarez gets the ball it electrifies the attack. Arsenal should have paid £86m for him

Why thank you for asking @Topping. I have actually now looked at the question which was as follows:

"Now a question about sports where animals are set on other animals to fight or kill them. These activities are currently illegal in the United Kingdom.For each one I read out, please tell me whether you think it should or should not be made legal again. Just read out the letter that applies in each case." SHOWCARD

Fox Hunting; Deer Hunting; Hare Hunting and Coursing; Dog fighting; Badger baiting.

- Yes, should be made legal again

- No, should not be made legal again

- Don’t Know"

I mean really.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2013
    TOPPING said:

Any organisation that uses a poll to support its viewpoint should be looked at with considerable circumspection especially the poll detail and questions asked..

Seasons greetings to all, and remember, however bad things might be, there is ALWAYS someone worse off than you are.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Charles

Why blame the Polis? Their job is to enforce laws - not make them. In any case I don't think the Danish Police are the enforcers of the Danish Agriculture & Food Council policies.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    oldnat said:

Charles

Why blame the Polis? Their job is to enforce laws - not make them. In any case I don't think the Danish Police are the enforcers of the Danish Agriculture & Food Council policies.

Politicians, not police!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited December 2013
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Why thank you for asking @Topping. I have actually now looked at the question which was as follows:

"Now a question about sports where animals are set on other animals to fight or kill them. These activities are currently illegal in the United Kingdom.For each one I read out, please tell me whether you think it should or should not be made legal again. Just read out the letter that applies in each case." SHOWCARD

Fox Hunting; Deer Hunting; Hare Hunting and Coursing; Dog fighting; Badger baiting.

- Yes, should be made legal again

- No, should not be made legal again

- Don’t Know"

I mean really.
    A ridiculously loaded question. During the foxhunting debate I recall that "Don't Know/Care" was usually a very significant percentage of the responses until it was statistically factored out.

I've taken part in the first four of these; one of them with someone who is now an MP, and would certainly have voted for their re-legalisation. Dog fighting and badger baiting have passed me by, though, as I'm not a member of the "travelling" community.

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    oldnat said:

Charles

Then who would be? If the EU has determined that one extra shake of cinnamon on a bun is guaranteed to make my legs fall off then I'd like to know who my uniformed-saviour-bureaucrat is that keeps me safe in our dark evil world of killer confectionery.

• Options

To be fair, I mostly agree with you, but successive governments have mishandled public sector pensions since the year dot, it's just that our generation is the one that has to carry the can for it now.
    I'm lucky,my pension is protected, due to my length of service and age, but I work with people who are going to see their pension lose thousands, and work longer. Now, you can say "tough s#!t" and that's understandable, the private sector is tough too, but we just think we have to fight to get something a little more in our favour.
    New starters will get substantially worse pensions than the current old guard, but they will pay significantly less into it, anyway, and work longer. That's been agreed already.
    We're not particularly well paid, but the pension made up for that. The last offer by the government wasn't really that far off, but they took that off the table in a fit of pique. The real sticking point was sacking firefighters who failed the fitness test, and then withholding their pension, and cutting it significantly, until retirement age. That needs resolving, as the government's own commissioned report actually agreed with us!

I am afraid that that is the way of the world and in the end I agree with it. Offshore workers have to pass a medical every 2 years (and every year after they are 50) and if they fail they are in breach of their contract and are out of work. No appeal, no exceptions. Until very recently that included the notorious BMI test which means that overweight workers were failed even if they were otherwise perfectly healthy. There is a more reasonable measure now adopted but still if you fail your medical you lose your job.

One of the men on the chopper that went down last May was a good friend of mine who I have worked with for many years. He survived as did everyone else and was raring to get back offshore the next day although in fact the companies sent them all home to recuperate. He is 72 (and incidently can't swim). He and many others working offshore have to work much later in life because the periodic downturns mean thy are out of work every few years and have to use their savings to survive until the business picks up again. They also rely upon personal pensions with usually no employer contributions. But they do not strike and they just get on with it because they know that if they don't do the work someone else will.

Needless to say our sympathy for public sector workers is very limited.
  • Options
    Higher Interest Rates are now destroying the paradigm and age of liberalism, and are introducing that of authoritarianism.

Economic Destructionism is the new normal replacing Economic Inflationism. The terminal phase of Liberalism, began with Ben Bernanke’s QE1. The years 2009 through 2103 was the zenith of the paradigm and age that featured the economic action of increasing inflationism, where there was a Great Swell in balance sheet of the US Federal Reserve, fiat wealth, such as World Stocks, VT, and M2 Money, as well as Total Credit, where the goal of monetary policy was investment gain. Economic life centered around the investor and investment choice, and which carried impact in economic metrics such as increasing GDP, such as automobile production, and increasing employment in the financial sector; the latter were not goals, but simply statistical attributes associated with risk-on investing.

On October 23, 2013, Jesus Christ opened the first seal of the Scroll of end time events, and released the Rider on the White Horse, as seen in Revelation 6:1-2, to affect a global economic and political coup d etat. His ride over the world PIVOTED the world from paradigm and age of liberalism into that of authoritarianism.

With the bond vigilantes calling the Benchmark Interest Rate, ^TNX, higher from 2.48%, economic action, has changed from one of inflationism to one destructionism, where there is the “dreaded experiences”, specifically the death of fiat money, the death of fiat wealth, economic deflation, nation state default on Treasury Debt, economic destruction, disregard for personal property, disregard for person property rights, and disregard for people as persons.

The Benchmark Interest Rate, ^TNX, that is the cost of US Treasury Debt, TLT, was formerly the Means of Economic Inflationism. But, with its rise from 2.48%, on October 23, 2013, it commenced the failure of trust in the monetary policies of credit stimulus of the Creature from Jekyll Island, and the economic policies of investment choice of democratic nation states. Now, The Interest Rate on the US Ten Year Note, ^TNX, is the Means of Economic Destructionism, establishing economic deflation and economic recession, terminating economic inflation and economic growth, and thus terminating the paradigm and age of liberalism, and birthing that of authoritarianism.

As investors become entrenched in their new role of debt serfs they will be derisking out of debt trades such as Global Telecom, IST, like France’s, ALU, Finland’s, NOK, and Leveraged Buyouts, PSP, like the UK’s, DORM, and deleveraging out of currency carry trade investments like the UK’s, PRU, LYG, the Netherland’s, ING, and Ireland’s COV, CRH, STX, ACN, IR, MNK, PRIA, TRIB, and IRE. The result will create a global whirlwind of economic deflation and economic recession, like the world has never seen; something far disastrous than the financial bust of 2008.
This discussion has been closed.