Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What makes the Texas battle intriguing is the historic polling understatement of the Democrats in th

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,759

Nigelb said:

Biden winning Texas feels like a bit of a reach TBH. Georgia feels more realistic

It's not about 'feel' though. This is about using your head, studying the polls, reading on the ground. The signs for Biden in Texas are there for anyone who studies them.

I am 75% + certain that Biden will take Texas at presidential level. Not the Senate though in this state.
    Sorry - by “feel” I mean on the basis of the polling evidence. The polls are on a knife and edge and for Biden to win everything has to go perfectly both for turnout and persuading enough voters to switch sides. Given all the hurdles the GOP have been throwing in the Democrats way, I just don’t see it.
    How good is the state level polling going to be, though ?
    It's a huge state, and demographic and electoral roll changes have been large.
    Polling in Texas has historically been very accurate - though we are probably in a higher turnout environment than usual for there. In 2018 the polls were near spot on.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    It's a surprisingly decent article from Monbiot.
    If he could tone down the outrage by 50%, and increase the factual analysis by 10% or so, it would actually be very good indeed.
    I like Monbiot a lot. He`s a good writer - his book "Feral" is excellent. It was an article by Monbiot that persuaded me to vote remain in EU referendum, for environmental (on top of my already pragmatic) reasons. He too was wavering, he disliked the EU but admired their rewilding initiatives.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Foxy said:

It's not just Trump who will be up a creek without a paddle from Nov 3rd to inauguration.

If Biden and the Dems sweep to power, as I am now certain of, then it leaves Boris, Cummings and Farage increasingly isolated. Neither allies to the west nor east. Perhaps we'll open a trade deal with Nigeria?

Nigeria has the biggest population and economy of Africa. With 21st century demographics it is going to be increasingly important on the world stage.

Having a bit of trouble with cops shooting people at the moment, during protests about police brutality.

So like America then?
    Much the same problem, and not to minimise the difficulties policing in a place like Lagos.

The understated issue in BLM protests is class, on top of race. WWC youths also get a hard time, and policing has always taken a dim view of "working class entrepreneurs".
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    The United Kingdom shoots up its debt. The total of what the country has borrowed will approach 372,000 million pounds, 18.9% of GDP, the highest since World War II, due to the pandemic
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    Foxy said:

It's not just Trump who will be up a creek without a paddle from Nov 3rd to inauguration.

If Biden and the Dems sweep to power, as I am now certain of, then it leaves Boris, Cummings and Farage increasingly isolated. Neither allies to the west nor east. Perhaps we'll open a trade deal with Nigeria?

Nigeria has the biggest population and economy of Africa. With 21st century demographics it is going to be increasingly important on the world stage.

Having a bit of trouble with cops shooting people at the moment, during protests about police brutality.

Nigeria's economy is large BECAUSE of its large population. But its GDP per capita is in the toilet. An awful lot of Nigerians don't have anything approaching middle-class levels of disposable income.
    For us to compete in that kind of market we'd have to be in the business of cheap manufacture of life's basics. I do not think that is playing the strengths of the UK's key industries. Maybe in a few decades. If you think there's value in getting in at the ground level, that's fine, but its no paddle for the immediate creekage we're in.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350
    Interesting snippet in an article in my November edition of the Atlantic which arrived this morning:

"The ritual that marks an election’s end took its contemporary form in 1896. On the ursday evening after polls closed that year, unwelcome news reached the Democratic presidential nominee, William Jennings Bryan. A dispatch from Senator James K. Jones, the chair of the Democratic National Committee, informed him that “su¡cient was known to make my defeat certain,” Bryan recalled in a memoir.
    He composed a telegram to his Republican opponent, William McKinley. “Senator Jones has just informed me that the returns indicate your election, and I hasten to extend my congratulations,” Bryan wrote. “We have submitted the issue to the American people and their will is law.”
    After Bryan, concession became a civic duty, performed by telegram or telephone call and then by public speech. Al Smith brought the concession speech to radio in 1928, and it migrated to television soon afterward."

The context, of course, is a deep concern that Trump will not comply with that convention or accept the result of an election that he will inevitably claim has been rigged.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Stocky: Largely white Brits I take it, rather than migrant workers?

Probably so, but not necessarily. I`d like to hear more from @theProle on this.
    Agree it was great insight into a demographic that 75% of PB contributors have no association with on that level.
    It's interesting how this kind of breathless reportage from the building sites of Britain is dissected with such anthropological excitement on PB. I mean, are these people really so unknown to people here? I move in pretty bourgeois circles these days, perhaps even the global elite, but I went to a comprehensive school and have done a fair amount of low paid work in the past, and the fact that a lot of working class blokes don't like the EU, or anything vaguely foreign, or indeed have a low opinion of "political correctness gone mad" is hardly news to me.
    Nor me, who works with a lot of working class people, of all ethnicities, albeit in a health care setting.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I really do wonder if these types of quotes are real or just made up by the journalist. "Tory Official 2" - how does anyone know what they did or did not say?
    I expect there is some truth in it but listening to 5 live this morning the nuance was that Greater Manchester settlement is approx £29 per head which is the same as Liverpool and Lancashire.

To be honest Burnham was coming under a lot of criticism and Burley on Sky was critical in an interview with a Greater Manchester councillor

I have no doubt Burnham is popular in Greater Manchester and I would expect to see crossover in the polls

However, I have faith in Rishi in getting the balance correct but he is not helped by Boris who is so much out of his depth and their comms is dreadful
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    There was a big banner over one of the bridges across the central motorway in Newcastle yesterday saying "PLAN-DEMIC". Very funny.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,323

Scott_xP said:
    And Johnson doesn't even have his house paper to help anymore. Telegraph long gone for him over covid.

Here's one comment from this morning:

"I’d argue there is currently more chance of perishing in a sheep-related incident than of succumbing to Covid in West Wales."
    Assuming those are mutually exclusive
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

Nov 3rd to Jan 20th is going to be an “interesting” period. There must be a non trivial chance that Pence is President for a chunk of it.

Depends what you mean by non trivial, but yes I think you're right. There are two routes to this. The first is Trump refuses to accept an election defeat when the rest of the GOP in Washington do accept it, and to prevent a massive constitutional shitfest they invoke the 25th amendment. The second possibility is that Trump accept defeat but does not want to participate in the hand over phase, not being able to work with the enemy following a defeat. This second one has to be tempered, by what Executive Orders Trump wants to push through in that time.

There is a third option, that Trump genuinely loses it, is unable to govern and the 25th is used to remove him. I think though that this option is very unlikely.
    I think those are all vanishingly unlikely, but there are two more: Bad health (physical, mental or both) and handing over to Pence for the last week or so because it's not totally clear that you can pardon yourself.
    Option six: Trump flees to Russia to avoid prosecution ;)
    Right but he can leave that to his last day, there's no need to hand over any power before he has to.
    Helicopter from the roof of the White House....
    I said I wouldn't comment again but, oh wow, that brought back such a viscerally powerful memory. I'm just old enough to remember that evacuation from Saigon.

An incredible moment of history.
    And I was thinking of Ceaucescu.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I really do wonder if these types of quotes are real or just made up by the journalist. "Tory Official 2" - how does anyone know what they did or did not say?
    I expect there is some truth in it but listening to 5 live this morning the nuance was that Greater Manchester settlement is approx £29 per head which is the same as Liverpool and Lancashire.

To be honest Burnham was coming under a lot of criticism and Burley on Sky was critical in an interview with a Greater Manchester councillor

I have no doubt Burnham is popular in Greater Manchester and I would expect to see crossover in the polls

However, I have faith in Rishi in getting the balance correct but he is not helped by Boris who is so much out of his depth and their comms is dreadful
    You really love Sunak, don't you?
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:

Respect him, yes
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:

Respect him, yes
    The yet to be proven schoolboy running the exchequer, probably making sure his father in laws funds aren’t suffering.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Agree it was great insight into a demographic that 75% of PB contributors have no association with on that level.
    It's interesting how this kind of breathless reportage from the building sites of Britain is dissected with such anthropological excitement on PB. I mean, are these people really so unknown to people here? I move in pretty bourgeois circles these days, perhaps even the global elite, but I went to a comprehensive school and have done a fair amount of low paid work in the past, and the fact that a lot of working class blokes don't like the EU, or anything vaguely foreign, or indeed have a low opinion of "political correctness gone mad" is hardly news to me.
    You have just explained the reason a current view of this is interesting (I wouldn't call it breathless, the description). You say you were a salt of the earth, comprehensive-schooled type but again as you yourself say - now look at you. You simply don't mix with people on building sites any more. And that is probably true of 75% of PB contributors.

When they (we) were younger we mixed with everyone and anyone. But as we grow older we stratify into our socio-economic groups.

Hence the view from the current coalface is interesting.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Nor me, who works with a lot of working class people, of all ethnicities, albeit in a health care setting.
    Nor me. The Prole`s post chimes with many people I know here in the Midlands.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Yes because I'm sure that all the healthcare people you work with (are boss of?) tell you what they are really thinking.

Head down to Tubes of a Saturday night when you can again and make some friends there would be more insightful.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,237
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    If he could tone down the outrage by 50%, and increase the factual analysis by 10% or so, it would actually be very good indeed.
    I like Monbiot a lot. He`s a good writer - his book "Feral" is excellent. It was an article by Monbiot that persuaded me to vote remain in EU referendum, for environmental (on top of my already pragmatic) reasons. He too was wavering, he disliked the EU but admired their rewilding initiatives.
    I'll be the first to own up to not reading the article, so feel free to criticise, but does he draw a comparison to other European countries that are seeing no huge second wave, such as France, Germany, Italy and Spain... Oh wait. Not sure that the UK government is totally to blame for this... maybe, just maybe, there are no easy solutions?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Lets assume you are right, and the Manchester settlement offer was fair, and the government plan is to dish out equal cash to each area that goes into tier 3.

If that is the case, why on earth are they individually negotiating with each local council rather than just informing them they are going to tier 3 and you get £x to distribute locally. If the outcome will be the same regardless of the negotiation we are just wasting time here. Not just the time of the PM, his senior team, the mayor, the council leaders, the public following this nonsense, but most importantly wasting time fighting the pandemic.

It is hugely incompetent, a waste of time and energy, creating division for no reason and ultimately killing more people than necessary.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Mark Steyn on president presumptive Kamala Harris.
    https://youtu.be/Gpxc-qyZC-I
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Lets assume you are right, and the Manchester settlement offer was fair, and the government plan is to dish out equal cash to each area that goes into tier 3.

If that is the case, why on earth are they individually negotiating with each local council rather than just informing them they are going to tier 3 and you get £x to distribute locally. If the outcome will be the same regardless of the negotiation we are just wasting time here. Not just the time of the PM, his senior team, the mayor, the council leaders, the public following this nonsense, but most importantly wasting time fighting the pandemic.

It is hugely incompetent, a waste of time and energy, creating division for no reason and ultimately killing more people than necessary.
    I agree 100%
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:

Respect him, yes
    The yet to be proven schoolboy running the exchequer, probably making sure his father in laws funds aren’t suffering.
    Pathetic
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457

On topic, I can't get overexcited about Texas. The idea of it turning blue always appears to me a bit of tease. I expect it will be close, but no cigar. I'd certainly want better odds than are currently available to be tempted in, but I have decent ECV spread positins so if Texas flips it's a big win for me anyway.

That's the view I took.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Scott_xP said:
    And Johnson doesn't even have his house paper to help anymore. Telegraph long gone for him over covid.

"I’d argue there is currently more chance of perishing in a sheep-related incident than of succumbing to Covid in West Wales."
    It is depressing to have to keep pointing out that health in Wales (and the other nations) is devolved.

Drakeford is responsible for shutting down West Wales.

I live in a remote part of West Wales, and the nearest COVID fatality is about 40 miles away. Yet, I can't travel even a few miles from my home.

Fortunately, after over 20 years of Labour guiding the economy of Wales, there is very little economic activity in West Wales to shut down.

So Drakeford's edict is less damaging than one might expect.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I agree 100%
    May I respectfully enquire why you keep voting for a party that has been hijacked by hugely incompetent people!?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    I'll be the first to own up to not reading the article, so feel free to criticise, but does he draw a comparison to other European countries that are seeing no huge second wave, such as France, Germany, Italy and Spain... Oh wait. Not sure that the UK government is totally to blame for this... maybe, just maybe, there are no easy solutions?
    There are no easy solutions, the UK governments problem is that if it has a plan then they are not communicating it very well, coupled with the fact it appears they change their minds more than their underpants. The peripheral issues of one rule for you one for us and the bungs to mates just make them look incompetent. If there was An easy solution to problem someone would have found it by now.
  • Options
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/10/20/brits-say-devolved-governments-should-decide-their

Fascinating bar chart for Scotland. Fewer people think the UK government should be deciding lockdown policy than even voted Conservative. That's not a great indicator if your Holyrood strategy is going to be "coalesce the unionist votes"; it suggests that the union is quite abstract in the minds of a section of population.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It is depressing to have to keep pointing out that health in Wales (and the other nations) is devolved.

I live in a remote part of West Wales, and the nearest COVID fatality is about 40 miles away. Yet, I can't travel even a few miles from my home.

Fortunately, after over 20 years of Labour guiding the economy of Wales, there is very little economic activity in West Wales to shut down.

Health is devolved. Is freedom of movement?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Exactly
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CNN:

"There are three possible explanations for a campaign strategy that defies common sense:

First, Trump apparently thinks many Americans are frightened racists, scared of anyone who is different in any way, so he may believe that his appeals to xenophobia could win him a majority of the vote.

The second option is that he knows he won't win, but he is using the remaining days of the campaign to stoke the fires of hatred, anger and mistrust, hoping that their smoldering passions will lead his backers to reject the outcome of the election if Biden beats him. This aligns with another theme of the campaign, his continuous, unfounded claims that there is widespread voting fraud.

The final option is that Trump has no strategy. That what we're seeing is the continuation, perhaps the final chapter, of a presidency guided not by logic and thoughtful planning, but instead by Trump's gut, by his instinct, by his inability to curb the expression of his own emotions, now mostly anger, fear and frustration.

It's hard to decide which is worst. A President who thinks he governs a country of racists; one who is priming his backers to reject a democratic election or one who is utterly irrational? What a choice."

CNN.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    Germany is up to +7,000 cases daily, compared to the UK's +21,000.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:

Respect him, yes
    Pathetic
    Having such regard for someone who is completely unproven is pathetic, he’was good at dishing money out but now thinks it’s all gone and hasn’t got a clue what to do.
  • Options
    The Economist now has the chance of a Trump win at 7% (was 8% yesterday):

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

I`m having to restrain myself from dumping yet more cash on Dems at the odds on offer.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Health is devolved. Is freedom of movement?
    A very good question

We have not been able to travel outside Conwy CBC for weeks but until recently anyone coming from England could pass through to go on holiday on Anglesey

It is not clear if Drakeford can close the Welsh border
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Foxy said:
    'Dido, queen of carnage'. Monbiot back on form! A must read. Sometimes he gets carried away investigating the inside of ballbearings. This is real important and happening in broad daylight.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Scott_xP said:

Respect him, yes
    Pathetic
    Having such regard for someone who is completely unproven is pathetic, he’was good at dishing money out but now thinks it’s all gone and hasn’t got a clue what to do.
    "Thinks" it`s all gone? I think he knows.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,383

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

The Triple Lock is going to deliver a 2.5% pension increase with September RPI at 0.5% and earnings flat on their back.

Surely Sunak will suspend it for this year at least. It would be insane not to do so.

Media view was that Treasury wanted to suspend it next year, when the expected rise is 10-20%, but No 10 overruled.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/number-10-claims-it-has-no-plans-to-end-pension-triple-lock-amid-reports-rishi-sunak-is-considering-scrapping-scheme

If they are pressing ahead, or trying to, with the double digit rise, then extremely unlikely to view the 2.5% as a problem at all. Nothing to do with which way pensioners vote of course.
    Doesn't make sense. Why increase the State Pension by about £12bn over two years when you could bung that money to mates in the private sector? That's a whole Test and Trace scheme.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

Scott_xP said:

The whole mess is basically because the Treasury is trying to do the second round of lockdown in the cheap. The idea was to share responsibility for their penny pinching with local politicians who could then be deemed to have endorsed the support on offer. As it's a row over money, or rather the lack of it, Sunak should be the one taking the responsibility.
  • Options
    South Yorkshire agrees to go into tier 3

Same settlement as Liverpool and Lancashire (and Greater Manchester)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    The trend is your friend. Germany reported 56 deaths yesterday, the most on a single day since 2 June:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

The UK reported 241 deaths yesterday, the most on a single day since 5 June:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The absolute numbers may be different, but the trends are remarkably similar.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    Perhaps you should; the article is mostly about possible corruption in government contracts.
    It appears, to me at least, that there is serious wrongdoing going on here that would merit investigation EVEN IF things were working as planned.
    As someone else put it earlier, "snouts in the trough".
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

Disappointing. I'd expect more fighting spirit from the People's Republic. Put to shame by the Mancs.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The thing about privatisation in the public sector it’s a vicious circle. Many things ARE better run, or deliver better outcomes in the private sector. But generally where they exploit the strengths of the private sector - arising from free markets, and, importantly genuine competition or multiplicity of providers that means that success is rewarded BUT, importantly there are consequences of failure. This doesn’t necessarily mean that everything has to be competition based - but it does require that when a company fails there are alternatives to take its place.

But the type of privatisation which infects much of the current public sector isn’t like that. There are no consequences for failure for the large outsourcing companies like SERCO and CAPITA. Because there are no alternatives. The existing public sector staffing base is hollowed out and lacks the confidence or expertise to take back large scale projects of the type which have been being outsourced for 20 years. And so the same companies get appointed time and time again through a lack of alternatives. They long since abandoned any pretence at any genuine expertise, or claims to “efficient private sector strengths). About the only thing which distinguishes many of them from the actual public sector is need to demonstrate a profit and willingness to take on any project where these profits are pretty much guaranteed.

To reverse that cannot be done overnight or on the back of a change of Govt focus in the short term. It will take decades to recreate capacity and investment in the public sector, or a genuine reappraisal of how genuine private sector advantages can be accessed.

A very good post - of the type pb used to be renowned for.

I've been looking into this recently for a public sector client. They often outsource to be able to access private sector talent/expertise where they can't afford to compete in the market due to civil service pay grade restrictions and salary caps - basically, even if it costs more overall they can get the people they need through an alliancing/outsourcing arrangement - and it also helps them get around some union issues on employment and pensions. However, you are right: it's not a magic answer, there aren't many alternatives and there are limited consequences for failure as a result.

To get the public sector performing as well as the private sector it would have to operate like the private sector: paying market rates, with more flexible employment contracts, and take risks to innovate (which would include investing money in innovations and accepting the risk of failure).

The trouble is that the public sector is constrained by public policy and that's always been the sticking point.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Foxy said:

Nigeria's economy is large BECAUSE of its large population. But its GDP per capita is in the toilet. An awful lot of Nigerians don't have anything approaching middle-class levels of disposable income.
    For us to compete in that kind of market we'd have to be in the business of cheap manufacture of life's basics. I do not think that is playing the strengths of the UK's key industries. Maybe in a few decades. If you think there's value in getting in at the ground level, that's fine, but its no paddle for the immediate creekage we're in.
    I am quite pro-African, having travelled and taught there a fair bit. Unquestionably there are major problems with poverty etc, but also tremendous opportunities. Nigeria has 200 million people, and even if only 10% have middle class lifestyles, that is still a big number, and going to double in the next 30 years.

Nollywood films (a fair few on Netflix) are not gritty documentaries, but really very aspirational and consumerist. Watched by the poor, but show the direction of travel, much like India a few decades back.

Nigerian immigrants to the USA are the best educated of all immigrant ethnicities, for example:

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Data-show-Nigerians-the-most-educated-in-the-U-S-1600808.php

There are big divides of course, and the Muslim North more backward, but Nigeria has a great future, and not just as a diaspora.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

A magnificent victory for the "World King"?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Mark Steyn on president presumptive Kamala Harris.
    https://youtu.be/Gpxc-qyZC-I

"No one knows who Kamala Harris is". Well, apart from Senator of the most populous State in the Union. Hey ho.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The whole mess is basically because the Treasury is trying to do the second round of lockdown in the cheap. The idea was to share responsibility for their penny pinching with local politicians who could then be deemed to have endorsed the support on offer. As it's a row over money, or rather the lack of it, Sunak should be the one taking the responsibility.
    And Dan Jarvis of South Yorkshire has just accepted the same deal without the animosity shown by Burnham

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    Germany of course has done well. Merkel gets an A

But, Johnson, Macron, Pérez-Castejón, Sturgeon, Drakeford are all getting Cs in my mark book.

Merkel is naturally a bit cautious and scientifically trained, both of which help.

It is not just down to good leadership. German's scientists have played a more coherent and consistent role than the UK's scientists. The Robert Koch Institute has been really outstanding.

There is a lot to learn for the UK, and its scientists, policy-makers and politicians.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    Scott_xP said:
    A photo taken somewhere in the East Midlands. That and the sentiment bears out exactly the comment that I posted here last night:

"I don't think that Johnson has quite appreciated that this isn't just about Manchester. It's about the Conservatives being seen to be willing to stuff the North in general in its hour of need, and indeed anywhere north of Watford Gap. People in Liverpool and Lancashire won't be castigating Burnham for seeking a slightly better settlement than the paltry one their leaders got. No, they'll be cheering Burnham on. As are those in the North-East and Yorkshire who know they're next in the firing line, followed by the Midlands. This is a government that thinks nothing of throwing billions in lucrative contracts the way of any of the usual outsourcing suspects lining up to profit from coronavirus, in return for services that repeatedly fail to live up to their billing, yet which draws the line at settling for just a paltry £5m extra for Greater Manchester. Desperate people and businesses left to go hang. All the effort that went into winning seats in the Red Wall and promoting the fiction of Levelling Up is being undone before our eyes because Sunak can't find £5m.

We're due an Opinium poll this weekend."
  • Options
    Gyms to be allowed to open on merseyside, yet another u turn by government doing its best to confuse people.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

But, Johnson, Macron, Pérez-Castejón, Sturgeon, Drakeford are all getting Cs in my mark book.

Merkel is naturally a bit cautious and scientifically trained, both of which help.

It is not just down to good leadership. German's scientists have played a more coherent and consistent role than the UK's scientists. The Robert Koch Institute has been really outstanding.

There is a lot to learn for the UK, and its scientists, policy-makers and politicians.
    The key is political leadership that knows enough science to test and challenge the advice given in a constructive way as opposed to jumping to every warning, no matter how inconsistent with everyone else's experience. Hunt would have been better for us, if not Merkel standard.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

On the basis of your wildly over generous marking scheme Ofqual has every right to downgrade your "C"s to a "D" and in some cases an "E"!
  • Options
    High rise cladding is becoming another issue for the government:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-54624159
  • Options
    £ suddenly rising; is an EU deal in the offing?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

And Dan Jarvis of South Yorkshire has just accepted the same deal without the animosity shown by Burnham

Burnham Your new hate figure, must have been in this mornings email from CCHQ We will see similar from the usual suspects later today
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030

Scott_xP said:

Nothing to do with Boris

West Wales was closed down by Drakeford
    Makes one wonder about the awareness of at least one Torygraph reader!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Stocky said:

I`m having to restrain myself from dumping yet more cash on Dems at the odds on offer.

His chance of winning is higher than 7%
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    A photo taken somewhere in the East Midlands. That and the sentiment bears out exactly the comment that I posted here last night:

"I don't think that Johnson has quite appreciated that this isn't just about Manchester. It's about the Conservatives being seen to be willing to stuff the North in general in its hour of need, and indeed anywhere north of Watford Gap. People in Liverpool and Lancashire won't be castigating Burnham for seeking a slightly better settlement than the paltry one their leaders got. No, they'll be cheering Burnham on. As are those in the North-East and Yorkshire who know they're next in the firing line, followed by the Midlands. This is a government that thinks nothing of throwing billions in lucrative contracts the way of any of the usual outsourcing suspects lining up to profit from coronavirus, in return for services that repeatedly fail to live up to their billing, yet which draws the line at settling for just a paltry £5m extra for Greater Manchester. Desperate people and businesses left to go hang. All the effort that went into winning seats in the Red Wall and promoting the fiction of Levelling Up is being undone before our eyes because Sunak can't find £5m.

Sunak and the Treasury werent involved in the final negotiations, it was Boris and No 10.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2020
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    An excellent article from Monbiot overall, I would say. What is does highlight is the huge influence of McKinsey's, as the model all other elite management consultancies follow, that many companies have actually adapted to in order to meet its expectations without running contracts with it, and that has run huge numbers of government functions.

This largely unknown organisation to most people has had huge political and cultural influence over the last 40 years - it's high time its supposedly 'apolitical' influence was more widely understood.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Stocky said:

538 go 13%. 15% feels about right to me.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Sunak and the Treasury werent involved in the final negotiations, it was Boris and No 10.
    As the Treasury made clear last night as Sunak threw Boris under the bus.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nichomar said:

Gyms to be allowed to open on merseyside, yet another u turn by government doing its best to confuse people.

When Meeks opines, governments take note. And also probably pay some attention to the petition he was talking about.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The key is political leadership that knows enough science to test and challenge the advice given in a constructive way as opposed to jumping to every warning, no matter how inconsistent with everyone else's experience. Hunt would have been better for us, if not Merkel standard.

100 per cent agreed. That is absolutely the key. It is knowing enough about scientific thinking to ask questions e.g., of the modellers.

There is no-one in the UK, Scottish or Welsh Govts who has the competence to do that (as far as I can see). Are there more scientists involved in German politics than the UK?

It is a pandemic that has cruelly exposed Johnson's well-known weaknesses.

Sturgeon has been better at communication (though not policy). Drakeford has been rather aimless but avoided too much blame so far.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Yes because I'm sure that all the healthcare people you work with (are boss of?) tell you what they are really thinking.

Head down to Tubes of a Saturday night when you can again and make some friends there would be more insightful.
    Yes, they often do say what they are thinking.

Healthcare is a lot like the military, in that between episodes of frantic activity, there are long periods waiting for things to happen. Eavesdropping in our staff room is as illuminating as on a building site, albeit a lot more female and in Leicester multi ethnic.

I have been working with my receptionist for decades, and we know each other well. She is no shrinking violet in letting her opinions known. It was her stories of her Windrush generation parents that opened my eyes to it not being a few unfortunate folk in London at the sharp end.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    As we were a few weeks ago. The wave is hitting lots of places. Just as we were weeks behind Spain. There is no magic formula if you live in western countries with our expectations of free will, and strive to keep the economy and peoples live going.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    nichomar said:

He's a bit of a weirdo. Imagine marrying a billionaire's daughter and then standing around in the pissing rain in North Yorkshire at the opening of a public toilet.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    Perhaps you should; the article is mostly about possible corruption in government contracts.
    It appears, to me at least, that there is serious wrongdoing going on here that would merit investigation EVEN IF things were working as planned.
    As someone else put it earlier, "snouts in the trough".
    I will if I get a chance. My comment though is about the parochialism and myopia that sees the UK (well actually just England) as uniquely struggling in this. Its just not true.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

You have just explained the reason a current view of this is interesting (I wouldn't call it breathless, the description). You say you were a salt of the earth, comprehensive-schooled type but again as you yourself say - now look at you. You simply don't mix with people on building sites any more. And that is probably true of 75% of PB contributors.

When they (we) were younger we mixed with everyone and anyone. But as we grow older we stratify into our socio-economic groups.

Hence the view from the current coalface is interesting.
    Is it? It doesn't sound like their views have changed much. Perhaps that is interesting in itself. It's hardly the only perspective that is lacking on this site, though, and I can't believe we are all so cut off from each other. My kids all go to local schools and I talk to other parents, who are a pretty diverse bunch across many dimensions. Although perhaps we are the London bubble and so aren't real people? I've lost track of who is allowed to have an opinion these days.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Time will tell, but I suspect Drakeford's firebreak is the right thing for Wales.

If anything, he is perhaps too late in locking down. Welsh hospitalizations are >50% of peak.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Dura_Ace said:

nichomar said:

He's a bit of a weirdo. Imagine marrying a billionaire's daughter and then standing around in the pissing rain in North Yorkshire at the opening of a public toilet.
    Power >> Money.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,907

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

In case thisarticle from Monday was missed. Here is a good summary from Karl Lauterbach why Germany has coped relativey well so far. He is an SPD MP and an epidemiologist, but has no government position. Well worth reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/19/germany-covid-second-wave-virus
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Always happy to learn from others. Maybe lets wait until the whole pandemic has plated out before awarding the prizes? Spurs were 3-0 up on sunday, ended 3-3. Crude metaphor, but we are seeing some countries that did better on the first wave, doing worse now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515
    Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Foxy said:

I am quite pro-African, having travelled and taught there a fair bit. Unquestionably there are major problems with poverty etc, but also tremendous opportunities. Nigeria has 200 million people, and even if only 10% have middle class lifestyles, that is still a big number, and going to double in the next 30 years.

Nollywood films (a fair few on Netflix) are not gritty documentaries, but really very aspirational and consumerist. Watched by the poor, but show the direction of travel, much like India a few decades back.

Nigerian immigrants to the USA are the best educated of all immigrant ethnicities, for example:

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Data-show-Nigerians-the-most-educated-in-the-U-S-1600808.php

There are big divides of course, and the Muslim North more backward, but Nigeria has a great future, and not just as a diaspora.
    I was having this discussion just the other day with some quite liberal people - they seemed stuck in the LIveAid view of Africa.

They seemed almost upset when I mentioned that some old friends of mine in telecoms were prototyping combined mobile phone masts with Starlink for backhaul. Looking at Africa for big sales.

The idea of that is a 5G mast that you put anywhere. It just needs power. The connection to the rest of the world is via Mr Musks satellites. So instantly a remote area gets mobile/internet.

The upset was on the lines of "but people need to eat first" - despite their liberal inclinations, they were completely unaware of the infrastructure revolution in many parts of Africa and it's effects on people's lives.
  • Options

DavidL said:

100 per cent agreed. That is absolutely the key. It is knowing enough about scientific thinking to ask questions e.g., of the modellers.

There is no-one in the UK, Scottish or Welsh Govts who has the competence to do that (as far as I can see). Are there more scientists involved in German politics than the UK?

Sturgeon has been better at communication (though not policy). Drakeford has been rather aimless but avoided too much blame so far.
    Off topic

I suspect for both Sturgeon and Drakeford the case for their abject failure would be more easily made had Johnson not been substantially worse.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Off topic

I suspect for both Sturgeon and Drakeford the case for their abject failure would be more easily made had Johnson not been substantially worse.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

There are no consequences for failure for the large outsourcing companies like SERCO and CAPITA. ...

Sorry, but that is total nonsense. Both of them have got into big financial trouble in the past as a result of losses on public sector contracts, as a cursory look at their financial histories shows. So has Interserve, so has Keir, so has Biffa. It's a total myth that these are risk-free for the companies concerned.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Maybe it isn't but recognising those people and their views isn't the same as engaging with or addressing them.

It isn't an answer to say it's not news, you know them well, shrug your shoulders, just say they're wrong and move on.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

Burnham Your new hate figure, must have been in this mornings email from CCHQ We will see similar from the usual suspects later today
    I do not hate anyone

Disagree yes

You are rattled
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Plural Vote considerably more cautious, with Trump at 26.3%. Virgina looks anomalous though:

http://www.pluralvote.com/article/2020-forecast/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:
    It seems to me that one of the biggest problems/scandals (setting aside the financial aspects) about test and trace is that it has been given crude targets (which it is failing to meet) but no purpose. Like so much of the target based culture (and yes this dates back a long time) is that it never steps back and asks whether the meeting (or otherwise) of targets actually improves outcomes. This of course generates perverse incentives, but also leads to a lack of critical judgement about what the targets/system is actually trying to achieve. I think this helps to explain the lack of public health experts involved in the management of the system - since test and trace has no requirement to deliver improved public health outcomes, it therefore has no need for public health expertise.

Test and trace seems to start and end with an aim of contacting people and telling them they need to self isolate. If people then ignore the requirement to do so it makes no difference whether they contact 5% of potentially affected people, or 95%.

But there is no money for closed businesses and their staff.

Might the lack of a public health expert be the reason for the failure you describe? After all the point of Test and Trace is to find those places where the virus has popped up and squash it down again by isolating the infected people. The aim is not contact but what you do with that information. Public health experts would know that. Supermarket executives would not.

• Options
    edited October 2020

DavidL said:

Not just on scientific matters. My own perception, informed by a few years at the top at local council level, is that the key to good political leadership (as far as internal management is concerned) is asking the right questions, knowing when to challenge, knowing what to check, and knowing what to measure.

There are plenty of capable people in government, central and local, but a key factor is that they are all specialists - representing specific local authority or government departments. Which means they bring to the table a partial (or perhaps more fairly, not fully balanced) view of an issue together with a host of internal politics and turf issues of which you, as a politician, will usually be unaware. As a politician you are often the only generalist in the room, and with a big cross-departmental issue the only person truly able to bring together, harmonise, weigh and reconcile all the conflicting factors in play.

Looking at the current mess with the new Coronavirus Regulations, this role isn't being done very well.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:
    I will take the bait criticise then! - read the article ;) It's not like it's behind a paywall or anything (although you do get the polite "request to register" these days).

The article isn't about failure to tackle COVID or instigate a robust test and trace system per se. It is absolutely about how if you are going to fail at instigating a robust test and trace system don't do it at the same time as spending eye watering amounts (that don't obviously seem to have any sensible costing basis behind them) that would have much more benefits elsewhere (such as helping businesses stay afloat during lockdown periods, for example?). Also whilst coincidentally enriching those individuals and companies running the failing systems who appear to chosen through an opaque process free from competition and devoid from any evidence of the skills, knowledge or expertise that might give the thing a chance to succeed.

And frankly, if other countries are failing as well, so what? Can't we aspire to be among the best rather than the worst?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

£ suddenly rising; is an EU deal in the offing?

Forgive me, but I think Forex watching isn't much more insightful than reading the tea leaves of Betfair exchange.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Wonder if that bloke fined £10k will get his money back?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Time will tell, but I suspect Drakeford's firebreak is the right thing for Wales.

If anything, he is perhaps too late in locking down. Welsh hospitalizations are >50% of peak.

Of course, 2/3rd Wales' population was already close to lockdown before the firebreak.

The main changes that have occurred with the firebreak are in mid and West Wales.

The main people inconvenienced are English tourists trying to take half-term holidays, who will now be chased away at the border by the police.

So, Mark's policy is popular in West Wales.

Though obviously we would prefer the border police to have sharp pronged pitchforks and big baseball bats :)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
    edited October 2020
    Stocky said:

7%, even though — according to their own figures — Trump only needs a swingback of 3% in 4 states to win the election.

They have Biden ahead by 2% in North Carolina, 3% in Arizona, 4% in Florida and 6% in Pennsylvania.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Always happy to learn from others. Maybe lets wait until the whole pandemic has plated out before awarding the prizes? Spurs were 3-0 up on sunday, ended 3-3. Crude metaphor, but we are seeing some countries that did better on the first wave, doing worse now.
    Each national government is operating under its own unique set of social norms and political realities. For example Spain has a minority coalition government, set amongst strong autonomous communities, coupled with a Mediterranean culture based on fiestas, late night socializing etc. all very different to say Sweden so the concept of who did better and Willy waving league tables is plain stupid, if there are lessons to be learnt or solutions available then share them for the common good rather than have a pissing competition.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Spot on. I'd also add that this kind of reportage seems to only ever cover half of the relevant population - namely men.

On this male-dominated site, who's going to give us the equivalent insight into what working class women are thinking? We hear a lot about the views of lads and blokes - not so much about their female equivalents. I suspect they're slightly different. And women do now have the vote, of course.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

rkrkrk said:

Of course, 2/3rd Wales' population was already close to lockdown before the firebreak.

The main changes that have occurred with the firebreak are in mid and West Wales.

The main people inconvenienced are English tourists trying to take half-term holidays, who will now be chased away at the border by the police.

So, Mark's policy is popular in West Wales.

Though obviously we would prefer the border police to have sharp pronged pitchforks and big baseball bats :)
    Looking at the latest interactive map:

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

Wales doesnt seem that bad in comparison with the worse areas of England
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

The Triple Lock is going to deliver a 2.5% pension increase with September RPI at 0.5% and earnings flat on their back.

Surely Sunak will suspend it for this year at least. It would be insane not to do so.

Media view was that Treasury wanted to suspend it next year, when the expected rise is 10-20%, but No 10 overruled.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/number-10-claims-it-has-no-plans-to-end-pension-triple-lock-amid-reports-rishi-sunak-is-considering-scrapping-scheme

If they are pressing ahead, or trying to, with the double digit rise, then extremely unlikely to view the 2.5% as a problem at all. Nothing to do with which way pensioners vote of course.
    Doesn't make sense. Why increase the State Pension by about £12bn over two years when you could bung that money to mates in the private sector? That's a whole Test and Trace scheme.
    Cui bono if Sunak breaks his pledge to maintain the pensions triple lock?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Foxy said:

I was having this discussion just the other day with some quite liberal people - they seemed stuck in the LIveAid view of Africa.

They seemed almost upset when I mentioned that some old friends of mine in telecoms were prototyping combined mobile phone masts with Starlink for backhaul. Looking at Africa for big sales.

The idea of that is a 5G mast that you put anywhere. It just needs power. The connection to the rest of the world is via Mr Musks satellites. So instantly a remote area gets mobile/internet.

The upset was on the lines of "but people need to eat first" - despite their liberal inclinations, they were completely unaware of the infrastructure revolution in many parts of Africa and it's effects on people's lives.
    The mobile telecomms market in Africa is incredibly dynamic, allowing a leap almost directly from a cash economy to electronic money, and banking. My Malawian friends are more sophisticated with this than my English ones.

The poverty in Africa is huge, but that is a long, long way from the whole story, and anyone who has passed through an African Market cannot doubt the entrepreneurial culture!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

This isn't football. It's more like duplicate bridge. Other countries are facing similar problems and doing better or worse in some areas.
    That's why we should be watching carefully what other countries are doing well and badly, and adapting accordingly. If we wait until it's all over, it virtually guarantees that we will be in the worse quadrant of countries.
  • Options

alex_ said:

There are no consequences for failure for the large outsourcing companies like SERCO and CAPITA. ...

Sorry, but that is total nonsense. Both of them have got into big financial trouble in the past as a result of losses on public sector contracts, as a cursory look at their financial histories shows. So has Interserve, so has Keir, so has Biffa. It's a total myth that these are risk-free for the companies concerned.
    I appreciate that Richard. Perhaps i didn't quite express it properly. There is of course the potential for financial failure. But there are very little consequences for performance failure. Which is what primarily matters to the public sector. And when these massive companies fail completely they it may cost them money. But be under no illusion that it costs the public sector millions as well. Because there is very little to replace them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Plural Vote considerably more cautious, with Trump at 26.3%. Virgina looks anomalous though:

http://www.pluralvote.com/article/2020-forecast/
    I love their proud boast that: Our model more accurately predicts past elections than polling averages alone.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Yes, they often do say what they are thinking.

Healthcare is a lot like the military, in that between episodes of frantic activity, there are long periods waiting for things to happen. Eavesdropping in our staff room is as illuminating as on a building site, albeit a lot more female and in Leicester multi ethnic.

I have been working with my receptionist for decades, and we know each other well. She is no shrinking violet in letting her opinions known. It was her stories of her Windrush generation parents that opened my eyes to it not being a few unfortunate folk in London at the sharp end.
    You are obviously a great white, older, male boss that they feel they can open up to. Well done.

Meanwhile, talking about frantic activity (you are a GP, right?) I am simultaneously watching The Good Doctor and the new BBC series "Surgeon".

Have you seen either - there's some frantic activity and the interesting thing is that in TGD they always have a patient on the operating table who "crashes", the monitors go red and then more often than not they revive them, which I put down to dramatic effect. But in Surgeons exactly the same thing happened!!

Or we can discuss it all at Tubes when it's open again.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

DavidL said:

Off topic

Agreed again.

The one really fierce knockout punch that Starmer has landed on Johnson's Government is that it has over-promised and under-delivered.

He needs to repeat that over and over.
This discussion has been closed.