Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2020 in General
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
    edited August 2020
    It is not just Trump, his wife and children will be speaking too.

A few other senior Republicans like Nikki Haley tonight, Mike Pompeo and Rand Paul tomorrow, VP Pence on Wednesday and Rudy Giuliani on Thursday will be speaking as well.

I am also not so sure making the convention about him will work badly for him and well for Biden, as Kerry and Romney found out trying to win by not being the President does not work as well as actually voting for the President.

Candidates who beat incumbent Presidents like Reagan and Bill Clinton won by having strong and charismatic enough personalities to have voters vote for them, not just against the incumbent. Biden needs to do more than just wait for Trump to lose.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/republican-national-convention-schedule-2020-200822162053624.html
  • Options
    I wonder how Labour play the Last Night at the Proms "issue".

Personally couldn't give a toss, I defer to anyone else that cares
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    HYUFD said:

A few other senior Republicans like Nikki Haley tonight, Mike Pompeo and Rand Paul tomorrow, VP Pence on Wednesday and Rudy Giuliani on Thursday will be speaking as well.

I am also not so sure making the convention about him will work badly for him and well for Biden, as Kerry and Romney found out trying to win by not being the President does not work as well as actually voting for the President.

Candidates who beat incumbent Presidents like Reagan and Bill Clinton won by having strong and charismatic enough personalities to have voters vote for them, not just against the incumbent. Biden needs to do more than just wait for Trump to lose.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/republican-national-convention-schedule-2020-200822162053624.html

I agree
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    35% approval !
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

I sort of agree, but not completely.

Presidents tend to get re-elected. The exceptions in the last 45 years are Carter, Bush Sr, and Ford.

Now, on charisma, Reagan beat out Carter, and Clinton beat Bush. But then again, Ford was a pretty charismatic guy, while Carter was not. So charisma isn't everything.

I think a more reliable indicator for change of control of the Presidency is serious recessions:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Bush Jr also had one and handed over to Obama. While Bush Jr benefits from Clinton hitting the end of the TMT bubble and the Year 2000 slowdown.

Now 2020 is a little different, because the US recession is not being blamed on Trump, but on CV19. On the other hand, people who lose their jobs blame the man in charge, however fair or unfair that is.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Presidents tend to get re-elected. The exceptions in the last 45 years are Carter, Bush Sr, and Ford.

Now, on charisma, Reagan beat out Carter, and Clinton beat Bush. But then again, Ford was a pretty charismatic guy, while Carter was not. So charisma isn't everything.

I think a more reliable indicator for change of control of the Presidency is serious recessions:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Bush Jr also had one and handed over to Obama. While Bush Jr benefits from Clinton hitting the end of the TMT bubble and the Year 2000 slowdown.

Now 2020 is a little different, because the US recession is not being blamed on Trump, but on CV19. On the other hand, people who lose their jobs blame the man in charge, however fair or unfair that is.
    Carter was arguably more charismatic than Ford but less so than Reagan.

If the economy alone was the factor Romney should probably have won in 2012
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

They ignore it. It's a misreported non-issue that's nothing to do with them and is not worthy of comment.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Presidents tend to get re-elected. The exceptions in the last 45 years are Reagan, Bush Sr, and Ford.

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

I think in this case, given the nature of the pandemic, there is also the question of "who is best to get out of this recession?". The Democrats have become associated with being the party of lockdown and Trump the one who wants to get the economy moving. For a lot of people struggling, the latter is likely to appeal more than the former.

Re the Presidents, I think HYFUD has a good point re the challenger needs to offer something rather than being "not the other guy".

On the previous one-term losers, Ford wasn't great (the old "can't walk and chew gum at the same time"), faced a serious challenge from Reagan in the selection process and, most of all, was in charge of a party that was seriously stained by Watergate.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    As was posted on the previous thread, the issue of riots and concern over law and order is now starting to seep into US voters' minds as to which way to vote.

This is going to be the issue that will kill the Democrats. I'm sure we will have the usual "but it's not in the polls" argument but gun sales going through the roof tells you how scared many Americans are by what is happened at the moment. It is unlikely they will think Joe Biden is the person to fix the mess.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

1976, the US was just out of a painful two year recession and the incumbent party lost.

1980, the US was in recession and the incumbent party lost.

1984, the US registered 7% GDP growth, and the incumbent party swept the board.

1988, fourth year of c. 4% GDP growth in a row, incumbent party re-elected.

1992, US just leaving an 18 month recession, and the incumbent party lost.

1996, fourth year of c. 4% GDP growth in a row, incumbent party re-elected.

2000, bursting of the TMT bubble, and US economy slowing sharply at time of election, and the incumbent party lost (just).

2004, US economic growth back up to almost 4%, incumbent party re-elected.

2008, Global Financial Crisis and recession, and the incumbent party lost.

2012, economic recovery, and incumbent re-elected.

2016, economic growth slowed to just 1.6% (the slowest since the 2008/9 GFC), and the incumbent party lost.

I could be wrong, but it seems that good economic news is good for the incumbents, and vice versa. This also suggests Trump would probably have walked it, if not for CV19.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Romney got a greater proportion of the electorate to vote for him than Trump did.
  • Options
    Received some sad news tonight that a friend's brother has been killed in a climbing accident in Scotland, only met him once or twice but taken too soon and shows the natural world can be both beautiful and dangerous
  • Options
    MrEd said:

As was posted on the previous thread, the issue of riots and concern over law and order is now starting to seep into US voters' minds as to which way to vote.

This is going to be the issue that will kill the Democrats. I'm sure we will have the usual "but it's not in the polls" argument but gun sales going through the roof tells you how scared many Americans are by what is happened at the moment. It is unlikely they will think Joe Biden is the person to fix the mess.

72 days.

That's how long is left.

And Biden continues to average over 50% in the polls. Which Clinton never did.

Now. It's entirely possible the polls are wrong. And it's possible that this issue of law and order will completely dominate the election. And I totally buy that Trump voters are more enthused.

The problem is that Trump should be closing the gap. He's not. Indeed, the polls seem to be worsening for him. And the economic news is not good. New unemployment claims were back at almost a million last week, that's a sharp reversal of previous progress.

Can I see Trump winning? Of course I can.

But while I thought he was value at 30% a month ago, he's now above 40%, when his polling position has worsened.

Law and order may be his way back. But it's a stretch. It's a lot easier to run on a "all is anarchy, you need me to get order" when you're the challenger than when you're the incumbent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Romney got a greater proportion of the electorate to vote for him than Trump did.
    But not in the key states where it mattered
  • Options
    I am starting to worry about the US Election tbh, it feels "too good"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

72 days.

That's how long is left.

Now. It's entirely possible the polls are wrong. And it's possible that this issue of law and order will completely dominate the election. And I totally buy that Trump voters are more enthused.

The problem is that Trump should be closing the gap. He's not. Indeed, the polls seem to be worsening for him. And the economic news is not good. New unemployment claims were back at almost a million last week, that's a sharp reversal of previous progress.

But while I thought he was value at 30% a month ago, he's now above 40%, when his polling position has worsened.

Law and order may be his way back. But it's a stretch. It's a lot easier to run on a "all is anarchy, you need me to get order" when you're the challenger than when you're the incumbent.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

Biden is averaging 51.4% in the 538 national poll. The highest that Ms Clinton ever reached (her absolute high watermark in the poll of polls) was 46%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Sure, but I think it's important to remember that Romney beat Trump, in terms of getting people out to vote for him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Sure, but I think it's important to remember that Romney beat Trump, in terms of getting people out to vote for him.
    Romney got 60 million votes in 2012, Trump got 62 million in 2016
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    I broadly agree with the thread.

What is notable about Trump is that he performs worse by comparison with past presidents when using disapproval ratings than when using approval ratings. His present disapproval rating is on a par with Carter and HW Bush, that is as bad or worse than any postwar president at this stage of the electoral cycle. Using approval ratings he is still doing marginally better than Carter and HW Bush, although not by much.

The man is basically reviled by much of the electorate to an unprecedented degree. The more exposure he's given the more it just serves to remind those who revile him that they really have to vote to get rid of him by supporting no-one else but Biden. That will be a bigger spur to enthuse the Sanders supporters to vote for Biden than anything that Biden could himself say to try and persuade them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Correct, Trump got a smaller share of the population to vote for him.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Here's an interesting one.

Let's look at average Augusts polling positions for whoever won the popular vote at the General. I will start post-Clinton, because Ross Perot meant everyone got very low shares.

2000:
    Gore averaged 44%

2004:
    Bush averaged 48%

2008:
    Obama averaged 47%

2012:
    Obama averaged 46%

2016:
    Clinton averaged 45%

Joe Biden is averaging over 50% in the poll of polls.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

Hillary got 65 million.
  • Options
    I wonder what would have happened if black men with guns had attempted to break into the state house.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

72 days.

That's how long is left.

Biden is averaging 51.4% in the 538 national poll. The highest that Ms Clinton ever reached (her absolute high watermark in the poll of polls) was 46%.
    And it's harder to win on a law and order ticket when the white police keep shooting unarmed black men in the back at point blank range
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

72 days.

That's how long is left.

And it's harder to win on a law and order ticket when the white police keep shooting unarmed black men in the back at point blank range
    I believe it goes down well in some states.

In others... not so much.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    I wish those fuckers would make up their minds.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,611
    Just spent an evening walking around central London. I didn't expect it to be as empty as that.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    NHS bashing at the Republican Convention over Charlie Gard case won't go down well here.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
  • Options
    Trump's detractors still don't understand him, after 4 years.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Unfortunately for the President, a lot of independents now do.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,593
    Thank goodness there’s a law and order president in the White House.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Question is whether now realising that Trump's a complete arse converts into voting for the other guy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Please explain what we’re missing about him.
  • Options
    Sunak is 5.6 / 5.7 to be next PM. Maybe a value bet.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160843673
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sunak is 5.6 / 5.7 to be next PM. Maybe a value bet.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160843673

I think Sunak needs Boris to go for a Boris-related reason, like his health, and not because of policy or Covid-19 response because the latter would most likely take Sunak down with him. Since Boris has spent most of the last three months on holiday with an occasional photo op, it is hard to assess how he is.

So yes, if Boris resigns this week, 9/2 against Sunak is terrific value but he probably won't.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Please explain what we’re missing about him.
    Or keep it a secret. Whichever.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    MrEd said:

I also suspect an expression of that fear is not admitting in public - even to pollsters - that they put their faith in Trump to be the guy to best look after them. Sure, Trump is an idiot. But he's their idiot....

It's just not something you admit to.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

MrEd said:

I also suspect an expression of that fear is not admitting in public - even to pollsters - that they put their faith in Trump to be the guy to best look after them. Sure, Trump is an idiot. But he's their idiot....

I mean people were shy about voting for John Major. He's got nothing on Trump :D
  • Options
    The RNC is what you might get if you crossed one of Mao’s communist party congresses with the dreamiest bits of US show business.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MrEd said:

I mean people were shy about voting for John Major. He's got nothing on Trump :D
    Boris is the British Trump, both in terms of charisma and casual disregard for rules and norms. I imagine Labour and Conservative Party workers will be closely examining this campaign for that reason (and not just because they always do).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    RobD said:

MrEd said:

Well Biden is the American Kinnock. When he start's shouting "we're alriiiiiiiiiight", we'll know Trump's won.
  • Options

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Boris is the British Trump, both in terms of charisma and casual disregard for rules and norms. I imagine Labour and Conservative Party workers will be closely examining this campaign for that reason (and not just because they always do).
    Not even close.
    True there are some parallels, but while Johnson shares the narcissism, it’s not combined with the same raging egomania or megalomania.

Johnson has limits; Trump has none.
  • Options
    USA President betting -- Betfair to settle on the election not the inauguration!

Democrats: 1.72
    Republicans: 2.36

Joe Biden: 1.79 (still worried he might withdraw?)
    Donald Trump: 2.34 (and how is Trump shorter than the Republicans?)
    Kamala Harris: 130
    Hillary Clinton: 290
    Mike Pence: 300
    Michelle Obama: 900

(and it would not be Betfair if you can't lay Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton!)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Not even close.
    True there are some parallels, but while Johnson shares the narcissism, it’s not combined with the same raging egomania or megalomania.

Really? How about the combined entity, Boris plus Cummings?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

MrEd said:

I don't buy that for a second.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Well Biden is the American Kinnock. When he start's shouting "we're alriiiiiiiiiight", we'll know Trump's won.
    You refer to Biden plagiarising Kinnock's speech but the parallel here is not quite right. Kinnock had policies by the bucket-load. Look at the end of OGH's header and turn the criticism the other way. Biden is relying on not being Trump. There is almost nothing else there.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,378
    edited August 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MrEd said:

I don't buy that for a second.
    Don't buy what? That parties routinely send helpers to America?

That Boris and Trump are both charismatic? They both were known for television work; each has several families (surely proof of great personal charm); they even have distinctive hair.

Or the disregard for conventions, like being interviewed during election campaigns, or not telling blatant lies? Their behaviour caused the departure of previous loyalists. They have even both been stopped by their countries' respective Supreme Courts.

So yes, Boris is the British Trump.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,253
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

The wildly unrepresentative handful of Americans I know are absolutely going to vote Biden to get rid of Trump. Their minds are completely made up I can't conceive of anything that would change them. The bad news for Trump is that some of them are people who have been apolitical or antipolitical as long as I have known them, and haven't voted for many election cycles. I can't imagine opinion polls picking them up. I wouldn't be surprised if the polls end up underestimating Biden's lead, though it could go either way, obviously.

Polls have been indicating for a while that most people made up their minds a long time ago about Trump, and the majority are against. Even a booming economy wouldn't make him favorite imo.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

The wildly unrepresentative handful of Americans I know are absolutely going to vote Biden to get rid of Trump. Their minds are completely made up I can't conceive of anything that would change them. The bad news for Trump is that some of them are people who have been apolitical or antipolitical as long as I have known them, and haven't voted for many election cycles. I can't imagine opinion polls picking them up. I wouldn't be surprised if the polls end up underestimating Biden's lead, though it could go either way, obviously.

Polls have been indicating for a while that most people made up their minds a long time ago about Trump, and the majority are against. Even a booming economy wouldn't make him favorite imo.
    As a matter of anecdotal interest, which states ?
    The one I know are Californian, so not ideal barometers of opinion.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Because Californians would never vote for some guy just because they'd seen him on the telly and were star-struck? Reagan, Arnie, now Trump.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Wisconsin police in trouble again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53897641
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Because Californians would never vote for some guy just because they'd seen him on the telly and were star-struck? Reagan, Arnie, now Trump.
    Because California isn’t a swing state.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

I am starting to worry about the US Election tbh, it feels "too good"

Don't worry, the established practice for 2020 is to do something terrible, *but not the thing that you expect*.
  • Options
    This is a very interesting technology, which will turbocharge Moore’s Law for a decade.

Optical Compute Promises Game-Changing AI Performance
    https://www.eetimes.com/optical-compute-promises-game-changing-ai-performance/
    We could take existing AI data centers and reduce the energy consumption by a factor of 20 and shrink the physical footprint by a factor of five,” Harris said. “And that’s just with the first generation of what we’re building. There’s a long road map ahead.”

While Harris emphasized that this test chip has been built as a demonstrator for the technology, and not to do well on benchmarks, he was adamant that in a practical application Lightmatter’s demonstrator would still beat the market leader for AI acceleration, Nvidia’s Ampere A100. Harris said that compared to the A100, Lightmatter’s chip offers 20 times the energy efficiency and at least five times the throughput on workloads like BERT and Resnet-50 inference....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,962

They ignore it. It's a misreported non-issue that's nothing to do with them and is not worthy of comment.
    Exactly , only a few nutters give a hoot about last night at the Proms, it is total jingoistic imperialist merde in any event.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,962
    edited August 2020
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Not even close.

Difference is that Johnson is not just as sneaky or sly as Trump, Trump is cunning whereas Bozo is not nearly as sharp. Both cheeks of the same arse though.
    PS: Hence why Bozo needs a sewer rat like Cummings pulling his strings
  • Options

MrEd said:

I really get the emotional appeal of Trump - that's he's standing up for Americans (and a way of life) that has been ignored by both parties and the coastal elites and their love of immigration and gloablisation and all that.

But.

Ultimately, the system matters more than the person. (If history has taught us one thing, it's that in the long run it's better to have a good system, than a great person.) And Trump is proving himself to be a danger to the American system - by which I mean the system of checks and balances, the separation of powers, and the system of democracy.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    Hello everyone; not going to suggest it's a good morning. Can't think of many, indeed if any reasons for saying so.

Ms Toynbee, in the Guardian is quite severely depressing, too.

Although on a personal level I'm alive and ready for the gym, which at 80+ is probably something about which to be happy!
  • Options
    Cricket and the weather. The draw has lengthened to 1.7 from 1.4 last night.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,894
    RobD said:

MrEd said:

I don't think voters were shy about supporting John Major, but they were embarrased to admit that they supported the Conservatives. The Conservative Party name was toxic in much of England and the whole of Scotland throughout the 90's.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Not even close.

Difference is that Johnson is not just as sneaky or sly as Trump, Trump is cunning whereas Bozo is not nearly as sharp. Both cheeks of the same arse though.
    PS: Hence why Bozo needs a sewer rat like Cummings pulling his strings
    Is Trump cunning? He seems like a bull in a china shop to me, and relies on the support of those around him for the cunning. But I do realise that someone good at cunning does not let on how cunning they are.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you really think that California might vote Republican in November???

???

???
  • Options

Hello everyone; not going to suggest it's a good morning. Can't think of many, indeed if any reasons for saying so.

Although on a personal level I'm alive and ready for the gym, which at 80+ is probably something about which to be happy!

Ms Toynbee is always severely depressing
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

It's an amazing achievement. Have a good session.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited August 2020
    Having just seen the report on Trump last night I have to say it was very slick and I cannot stand the man

Maybe everyone needs to be cautious over calling this a Biden walkover

And I do not follow US politics at all
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I do like the Quantum Trump voter

Simultaneously vastly more enthusiastic than a Biden voter, which you can tell by looking at the polling, yet simultaneously undetectable by polls due to shyness.

A true phenomena.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited August 2020
    The first performances of Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No 1 were free from lyrics in 1901.

Land of Hope and Glory formed the finale of The Coronation Ode, though to different words to those belted out during the Proms Last Night.

There are plenty of different lyrics to the tune, which football supporters used to add.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

MrEd said:

Not even close.

Really? How about the combined entity, Boris plus Cummings?
    Doris.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

Great work! Can't imagine a dose of Toynbee being very good gym motivation though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    rcs1000 said:

Mr Smithson Jr, on a point of order:

Ford did not fail to get re-elected. You can’t be re-elected unless you are first elected.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    A dialog
    "you are all too stupid and enmeshed in your liberal elite views to understamnd why Trump is so phenomenally popular which is why he won the election over the hugely unpopular Hilary Clinton"
    "Trump got 3 million less votes than Clinton"
    "Ah, I'm talking about his appeal to the White Working Classes which you would never understand with your Liberal elite views. His huge popularity with the WWC is why he won rust belt states like Wisconsin the like of which Romney could never reach"
    "Trump got less votes than Romney in Wisconsin"
    "You'll never understand Trump"
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Having just seen the report on Trump last night I have to say it was very slick and I cannot stand the man

Maybe everyone needs to be cautious over calling this a Biden walkover

And I do not follow US politics at all

The betting markets give Trump a 42% chance of winning. No one is calling this a walk over.

Or if they are then they have a fucking massive position on Biden right now.
  • Options

Can all rain in the country please head for Taunton and sit over Ciderabad for 24 hours.

Especially the rain currently lashing my roof.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Arnie is a Republican but intelligent and not an anti-science climate change denier (quite the opposite).
  • Options

Ms Toynbee is always severely depressing
    To cheer people up, here is a great piece of modern satire:

https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Polly_Toynbee
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Arnie is a Republican but intelligent and not an anti-science climate change denier (quite the opposite).
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/greta-thunberg-arnold-schwarzenegger-car-climate-change-a9122206.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

And there were10 million more Americans who were eligible to vote.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

72 days.

That's how long is left.

I think that this is the key difference. Biden doesn't have many more positives than Clinton but he has a hell of a lot fewer negatives.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/greta-thunberg-arnold-schwarzenegger-car-climate-change-a9122206.html
    in answer to the question above which states:
    california, new york, arizona

so I'm calling Arizona for Biden on the basis of a couple of friends...

I was speaking to a friend in California yesterday (in the smoke in Santa Cruz!) who was saying something like "sure, my vote isn't going to make any difference here, but I've still got to do my bit" and wouldn't consider a 3rd-party vote because only a vote for Biden is sufficiently anti-Trump, even in a state where it's a foregone conclusion. This was one of those people who hasn't voted for many election cycles. Yes it's California, but I'm guessing there are people like that in swing states too.

My impression is we hear quite a lot from people who voted Trump last time, who are sticking with him - well of course otherwise he wouldn't have any chance at all - but there might be a significant chunk of people who didn't vote last time, who will this time. I'm not sure what the polling says, but I'm guessing they are going to break more for Biden than Trump.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I wonder what would have happened if black men with guns had attempted to break into the state house.
    Absolutely. The degree of tolerance given to these gun totting lunatics is just bizarre.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    On the proms, what’s a little odd is the BBC apparently choosing to take sides on the brewing culture wars. Regardless of what people might claim, hardly anyone takes any notice of the proms. But once the spotlight of public attention was shone on this, why didnt the Beeb just say they’d always had plans for a soloist this year? It’s actually extraordinary that the Beeb have not backed down because it’s a trigger issue for the most important chunk of their customer base.

It reminds me a bit of how the over 50s have been trained by covid into ditching complacent businesses for online shopping instead. Same is likely to happen with the bbc. They’re taking their audience for granted, because they think the over 50s will never get themselves over the line to cancel their license and rely on Prime/Netflix/ITV Player/Youtube etc... I wouldn’t be so sure.

The media coverage of the next uk election should be quite tasty, the way the beeb is going it will be an existential one for them.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

1976, the US was just out of a painful two year recession and the incumbent party lost.

2000, bursting of the TMT bubble, and US economy slowing sharply at time of election, and the incumbent party lost (just).

2016, economic growth slowed to just 1.6% (the slowest since the 2008/9 GFC), and the incumbent party lost.

I could be wrong, but it seems that good economic news is good for the incumbents, and vice versa. This also suggests Trump would probably have walked it, if not for CV19.
    TL;DR “It’s the economy, stupid”
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Simultaneously vastly more enthusiastic than a Biden voter, which you can tell by looking at the polling, yet simultaneously undetectable by polls due to shyness.

A true phenomena.

I'm skeptical about the "shy Trump voter", post-election analysis last time seemed to show that it was a very minor factor (if anything) in the polling errors.

But I could imagine those enthusiastically moronic Trump voters making the shy Trump voters even shyer?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Christ on a velocipede.

Schwarzenegger didn't just like the Hum Vee military vehicle as an expression of brownie-murdering chic back in the 90s so much he bought himself one, he single handedly brought about the existence of the civilian version.

12 mpg imperial, and that probably flatters it.

There may be a more egregious example of extreme wankerdom than the Thunberg loan in the history of gesture politics, but I'm struggling to identify it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    dodrade said:

NHS bashing at the Republican Convention over Charlie Gard case won't go down well here.

It will have minimal if any impact
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Ford had one.
    Carter had one.
    Bush Sr had one.

This seems a little but tricksy to me, because they're not consistent measures, for example in 1992 we're *leaving* the recession (ie was bad but is now good), but in 2000 we're slowing just at the time of the election (ie was good but is now bad). Can we find a single criterion where the theory still works?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Alistair said:

A true phenomena.

I'm skeptical about the "shy Trump voter", post-election analysis last time seemed to show that it was a very minor factor (if anything) in the polling errors.

But I could imagine those enthusiastically moronic Trump voters making the shy Trump voters even shyer?
    Any polling errors in national vote share were simply "margin of error" errors.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2016_United_States_presidential_election

"Despite all this, however, nationwide polling was not far off from the actual popular vote result, and in fact very few states had results that deviated from the margin of error in the polling average. In a FiveThirtyEight article, Nate Silver defended the performance of the polls in 2016 as historically average, and argued that "Media organizations need to do a better job of informing their readers about the uncertainties associated with polling" [631]."
  • Options

This is all about whether there is enough play for Anderson to get his 600th wicket. There is almost no chance of a result now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    R4 Today - GOP strategist says their internal polling shows them doing as well as 2016.

• Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

in answer to the question above which states:
    california, new york, arizona

so I'm calling Arizona for Biden on the basis of a couple of friends...

I was speaking to a friend in California yesterday (in the smoke in Santa Cruz!) who was saying something like "sure, my vote isn't going to make any difference here, but I've still got to do my bit" and wouldn't consider a 3rd-party vote because only a vote for Biden is sufficiently anti-Trump, even in a state where it's a foregone conclusion. This was one of those people who hasn't voted for many election cycles. Yes it's California, but I'm guessing there are people like that in swing states too.

My impression is we hear quite a lot from people who voted Trump last time, who are sticking with him - well of course otherwise he wouldn't have any chance at all - but there might be a significant chunk of people who didn't vote last time, who will this time. I'm not sure what the polling says, but I'm guessing they are going to break more for Biden than Trump.
    Also remember that RCS told us that most US polls only count those who actually voted last time. So people like your friend in Santa Cruz will not be reflected in the polls. Of course we also do not know how many usually-non-voters will get up and vote for Trump this time.
This discussion has been closed.