Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    Nigelb said:
    And people wonder why I refuse to visit a bar or restaurant. Or my workplace. Once you are in a confined space there is no safe distance. 1m, 2m, 10m - you can still catch it.
  • Options
    This Trump plan to make a speech every night of the convention rebutting his critics.

Had no idea he was a Biden supporter...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    edited August 2020
    BMJ editorial.

Airborne transmission of covid-19
    Guidelines and governments must acknowledge the evidence and take steps to protect the public
    https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3206

... Aerosol generating procedure is a misleading term, and its use probably leads to overestimation of risk in stable patients while proved aerosol generating activities such as coughing and talking are neglected. The risk associated with individual procedures should instead be classified by measuring aerosol emissions, comparing them with those from other respiratory activities, and placing them in clinical context. In the interim, healthcare workers require access to respirator masks for all high risk encounters, not just during selected clinical procedures.

Controlling this pandemic is difficult when the fundamental science determining the response is misunderstood. Accepting the importance of airborne transmission may prove a crucial breakthrough and should not be delayed further...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

It is bizarre that there is a tone of mockery from England about the idea of Scotland going it alone and creating a currency. That England has gone batshit and is about to hurl itself from the White Cliffs in the sure and certain faith that there is no cliff is just funny.

If the UK was facing a glorious properous future and Scotland was threatening to jump into the unknown then I can see the argument. However, it is the UK about to jump and Scotland trying to stay behind in sanity land.

The SNP will win the election next year promising a referendum vote. The UK will try and refuse. Scotland will hold it anyway. It won't be close. Westminster will accept the inevitable. Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU. England mocks, abuses, insults. And then the newspaper reports of how Scotland is fairing better than rUK...

And down Edinburgh's Royal Mile, there's a triumphant, joyous celebration of civic, European, Scotland's victory against lumpen, bigoted Leaver England. Michel Barnier is guest of honour as he embraces Nicola Sturgeon for the typical gallic kiss on both cheeks. The bells of St Giles ring out - ring- -ring- they seem to get louder and more insistent with each peal - RING- - RING-

RP wakes up and realises it's his alarm.
    Can I refer you to mockery? Of my comments:
    1. The UK is throwing itself off the cliff
    2. The SNP will win the 2021 Holyrood election with a mandate for a referendum
    3. The referendum will be held

Those three are reality. Beyond that?

4. Leave will win 60:40 - a projection but based on hardening of the mood tracked by polling
    5. Scotland will join the EU. Both sides are up for this, it allows Brussels to flick the Vs at London, Edinburgh gets financial backing
    6. rUK will watch in wonder. I don't think no dealers comprehend just how rough this is going to be...
    He furiously presses snooze, hoping for just five minutes more back in IScotland. Sadly it's not the same. Nicola Sturgeon now has an unaccountably long neck and keeps nibbling on high branches. And why does the Royal Mile now look like Slough? Cruel cruel world. He gets up and consoles himself with the thought that he'll be particularly beastly on PB today. Those Leaver fools are going to get it big time.
    You will not be held prisoner Lucky , people will be allowed to leave and go to their Shangri-la if they find it inhospitable.
  • Options

It is bizarre that there is a tone of mockery from England about the idea of Scotland going it alone and creating a currency. That England has gone batshit and is about to hurl itself from the White Cliffs in the sure and certain faith that there is no cliff is just funny.

If the UK was facing a glorious properous future and Scotland was threatening to jump into the unknown then I can see the argument. However, it is the UK about to jump and Scotland trying to stay behind in sanity land.

The SNP will win the election next year promising a referendum vote. The UK will try and refuse. Scotland will hold it anyway. It won't be close. Westminster will accept the inevitable. Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU. England mocks, abuses, insults. And then the newspaper reports of how Scotland is fairing better than rUK...

And down Edinburgh's Royal Mile, there's a triumphant, joyous celebration of civic, European, Scotland's victory against lumpen, bigoted Leaver England. Michel Barnier is guest of honour as he embraces Nicola Sturgeon for the typical gallic kiss on both cheeks. The bells of St Giles ring out - ring- -ring- they seem to get louder and more insistent with each peal - RING- - RING-

4. Leave will win 60:40 - a projection but based on hardening of the mood tracked by polling
    5. Scotland will join the EU. Both sides are up for this, it allows Brussels to flick the Vs at London, Edinburgh gets financial backing
    6. rUK will watch in wonder. I don't think no dealers comprehend just how rough this is going to be...
    He furiously presses snooze, hoping for just five minutes more back in IScotland. Sadly it's not the same. Nicola Sturgeon now has an unaccountably long neck and keeps nibbling on high branches. And why does the Royal Mile now look like Slough? Cruel cruel world. He gets up and consoles himself with the thought that he'll be particularly beastly on PB today. Those Leaver fools are going to get it big time.
    Happily there is no need to debate Brexit any more - we have already left. Nor is there any need to debate the impact of us exiting transition without a deal and ripping up every trade deal we have. The reason that no other country has contemplated such a thing is self-evident. At least for most people.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349
    I am already beginning to miss the Covid pandemic. At least it got PB talking about something interesting.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    And people wonder why I refuse to visit a bar or restaurant. Or my workplace. Once you are in a confined space there is no safe distance. 1m, 2m, 10m - you can still catch it.
    Good ventilation is key - and unfortunately not particularly common.
    Aircon with good HEPA filters ought to be OK, even if recirculating, I think ?

I suspect it will take a few years, but building regulations will change over time to reflect this. Equally applicable to the spread of flu, etc.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

How we are regarded in Europe now.
    I don’t quite follow the logic, but the sentiment is very clear.

https://twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1297439355448037376

Perhaps someone should tell him about the paying thing. Even a starry-eyed leaver like me doesn't think we'd have won if we were a net beneficiary.
    I think you’re missing the point.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

Happily there is no need to debate Brexit any more - we have already left. Nor is there any need to debate the impact of us exiting transition without a deal and ripping up every trade deal we have. The reason that no other country has contemplated such a thing is self-evident. At least for most people.
    I'm happy to debate all those things at an appropriate time - I am just teasing your Scotland-based Brexit revenge fantasy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

How we are regarded in Europe now.
    I don’t quite follow the logic, but the sentiment is very clear.

https://twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1297439355448037376

Perhaps someone should tell him about the paying thing. Even a starry-eyed leaver like me doesn't think we'd have won if we were a net beneficiary.
    I think you’re missing the point.
    The point where you inferred the views of the entire continent from a single Tweet by someone with an EU flag in their handle?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    The Withdrawal Agreement simply committed the UK to avoid a hard border in Ireland, to protect EU citizens' rights in the UK and pay an exit bill, no more and the UK will not be obliged to provide any more.

The Tories won a majority at GE 19 on a manifesto commitment to end free movement and replace it with a points system, leave the single market and customs union, do our own trade deals and regain control of our fishing waters and the UK government can only agree a FTA with the EU therefore that respects those principles.

As for the British people, it was the British people who voted 52% for Brexit in the first place and the British people who gave Boris a majority of 80 last December to deliver it
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Clearly not if you wear a mask based on that tweet
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BMJ editorial.

Airborne transmission of covid-19
    Guidelines and governments must acknowledge the evidence and take steps to protect the public
    https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3206

... Aerosol generating procedure is a misleading term, and its use probably leads to overestimation of risk in stable patients while proved aerosol generating activities such as coughing and talking are neglected. The risk associated with individual procedures should instead be classified by measuring aerosol emissions, comparing them with those from other respiratory activities, and placing them in clinical context. In the interim, healthcare workers require access to respirator masks for all high risk encounters, not just during selected clinical procedures.

Controlling this pandemic is difficult when the fundamental science determining the response is misunderstood. Accepting the importance of airborne transmission may prove a crucial breakthrough and should not be delayed further...

Respirator masks at work, then all down the pub afterwards.

Compare and contrast.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am already beginning to miss the Covid pandemic. At least it got PB talking about something interesting.

Sadly, the cowardly bookmakers never opened a market on how much time Boris actually spent in that tent.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    HYUFD said:

How do you eat in a restaurant wearing a mask?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect it will take a few years, but building regulations will change over time to reflect this. Equally applicable to the spread of flu, etc.
    Maybe not equally, as it seems like flu spreads more from surfaces (ie to stop flu you need to do all the things people are doing now that probably don't work for covid).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

But Boris is happy to provide a demonstration to the rest of the world of the consequences of doing something so stupid
  • Options
    edited August 2020

2 is not certain
    3 is wrong. Boris has made clear he will block indyref2 whatever the circumstances for the rest of his premiership.

6. Even if Scotland was allowed indyref2 and voted to leave the UK because of No Deal Brexit that means tariffs on all Scottish exports to England and border posts at the Scottish border. 70% of Scottish exports go to England. I don't think Yes supporters comprehend how rough that would be...
  • Options

I'm happy to debate all those things at an appropriate time - I am just teasing your Scotland-based Brexit revenge fantasy.
    I'm a unionist - I have no desire for Scottish independence. However I am also a pragmatist. If Scotland wants to dissolve the Union backed by democratic mandate then we cannot stop them. Whats more, Scotland as a small nation in the EU will do better than the UK a small nation alone in the world. Sounds like you are more optimistic about the benefits of no deal tear up everything - I hope you are right. Just that for you to be right all the people who know what they are talking about have to be wrong...
  • Options

I'm a unionist - I have no desire for Scottish independence. However I am also a pragmatist. If Scotland wants to dissolve the Union backed by democratic mandate then we cannot stop them. Whats more, Scotland as a small nation in the EU will do better than the UK a small nation alone in the world. Sounds like you are more optimistic about the benefits of no deal tear up everything - I hope you are right. Just that for you to be right all the people who know what they are talking about have to be wrong...
    The UK is not a small nation, it is in the top 10 world economies, a G7 and G20 and UN security council permanent member, it is a medium sized nation at most.

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    The debate is over, whichever side you are on.

A bad Brexit, a Britain humiliating, fisherman betraying brexit unleashes hell on the tories. Hell. It gives the proliferating refusenik bands in our country something to bite on. Something to unite behind. A real grievance. They already have a base at four per cent of the vote for the BP.

Economic consequences? Conveniently. the economy is already fecked.

I suspect the more savvy, more cynical tories already know this. The conservatives skeptics on the alt right certainly do.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    GPs are fucking useless part 26 - my dad got a text from the GP surgery, he needs a regular BP check up, fine. Text as follows "due to exceptional virus containment measures we are currently not taking any in person appointments, however, we still need to test your BP, could you please purchase a BP machine from a pharmacy, take a measurement and respond to this message with the reading".

Honestly, what the fuck is going on with the NHS. This is absolutely fucking disgraceful, they are now using the virus as an excuse to just not do any work. I might start a new boo the NHS at 8pm on Thursday trend.

I've told him to contact the Daily Mail with the text and let them write about it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe HYUFD just goes for the ambience, not the food?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GPs are fucking useless part 26 - my dad got a text from the GP surgery, he needs a regular BP check up, fine. Text as follows "due to exceptional virus containment measures we are currently not taking any in person appointments, however, we still need to test your BP, could you please purchase a BP machine from a pharmacy, take a measurement and respond to this message with the reading".

Honestly, what the fuck is going on with the NHS. This is absolutely fucking disgraceful, they are now using the virus as an excuse to just not do any work. I might start a new boo the NHS at 8pm on Thursday trend.

I've told him to contact the Daily Mail with the text and let them write about it.

|A health service that doesn;t want patients. A school system that doesn;t want pupils.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My wife had an operation last Monday which involved several stitches in her throat. Tomorrow she has to take them out herself, the normal nursing facilities apparently not being available. It's just bizarre.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

My wife had an operation last Monday which involved several stitches in her throat. Tomorrow she has to take them out herself, the normal nursing facilities apparently not being available. It's just bizarre.
    Disgraceful
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

You wear a mask to go to the bar, to order, to go to the loo on entrance and exit.

You just take it off when eating
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    MaxPB said:

I’m sure you can afford to buy him a machine! But in all honesty if you can afford it you should have a BP monitor in the same way you have a set of scales and a thermometer, not a bad idea to have your own sats measurement reader (whatever that is called). It won’t be long before home based ECG’s are normal (probably are through smart watches) the challenge then becomes interpreting the results.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe not equally, as it seems like flu spreads more from surfaces (ie to stop flu you need to do all the things people are doing now that probably don't work for covid).
    Sure, the relative importance of fomite vs aerosol transmission is likely different - though in both cases we really only have estimates.

For some reason which is unclear, rhinoviruses seem to be the most resilient of the respiratory viruses in the face of all the various social distancing and other countermeasures.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

That's absolutely crazy. Removal of stitches isn't exactly for the uninitiated, there's a reason trained nurses are expected to do it, rather than just some random on the street.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

|A health service that doesn;t want patients. A school system that doesn;t want pupils.
    When Yes Minister had the super efficient hospital that didn't have any patients oh how we laughed at the absurdity. Well we're not laughing now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

You wear a mask to go to the bar, to order, to go to the loo on entrance and exit.

Just like those folk who got infected in Starbucks then.

That's the point. Sitting in an indoor environment is a risky activity.

I sat at a table outside a cafe on Monday. There is no way I would have sat inside.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

I’m sure you can afford to buy him a machine! But in all honesty if you can afford it you should have a BP monitor in the same way you have a set of scales and a thermometer, not a bad idea to have your own sats measurement reader (whatever that is called). It won’t be long before home based ECG’s are normal (probably are through smart watches) the challenge then becomes interpreting the results.
    The issue isn't money or access to a machine, he already has one. It's the idea that the NHS is turning into a self-service system that's completely ridiculous. It's absolutely fucking disgraceful how the NHS is handling normal care at the moment.
  • Options
    Off topic, but the betting markets on Trump versus the news flow are genuinely bizarre.

I was reading this week-end's poll reporting from Newsweek. Their numbers show Biden a street ahead. A street ahead. IN the Swing states.

Newsweek's article reporting these numbers was almost apologetic. Like Henry V reading the casualty numbers after Agincourt in the Shakespeare play.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    HYUFD said:

Which is when you catch the virus.

Which was the point.
  • Options

The debate is over, whichever side you are on.

A bad Brexit, a Britain humiliating, fisherman betraying brexit unleashes hell on the tories. Hell. It gives the proliferating refusenik bands in our country something to bite on. Something to unite behind. A real grievance. They already have a base at four per cent of the vote for the BP.

Economic consequences? Conveniently. the economy is already fecked.

I suspect the more savvy, more cynical tories already know this. The conservatives skeptics on the alt right certainly do.

I think Boris could get away with a FTA that maintains some regulatory alignment as long as it regains control of our fishing waters, ends free movement and allows our own trade deals.

Any further concessions and yes there would be a mass exodus of Leavers back from the Tories to the Brexit Party again
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

2 is not certain
    3 is wrong. Boris has made clear he will block indyref2 whatever the circumstances for the rest of his premiership.

6. Even if Scotland was allowed indyref2 and voted to leave the UK because of No Deal Brexit that means tariffs on all Scottish exports to England and border posts at the Scottish border. 70% of Scottish exports go to England. I don't think Yes supporters comprehend how rough that would be...
    2. Nothing is certain in politics. However, your hope of a Unionist grand coalition keeping the nats out of power is a long long shot at best
    3. I couldn't give a toss what Shagger has said. He openly lies and contradicts himself anyway so just because he says "I won't put a border down the Irish Sea" doesn't mean he won't then sign a treaty putting a border down the Irish Sea. A Scottish government elected with a clear mandate for a referendum cannot be stopped holding one. Will the army come in and arrest them? Yes it will be unofficial. But when that shows a clear mandate for Independence the UK politically cannot just say no.

As for your comments about the size and heft of the UK, we are about to scale back said heft and cut ourselves off from everyone. As the supplicant in the trading relationships to come you will see just how painful this will be. You can't say "no foreign power can set our laws" and then defend the US congress imposing US food standards and access on the UK so that we have to accept their weevil infested "food". yet you will be on here defending it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Just like those folk who got infected in Starbucks then.

That's the point. Sitting in an indoor environment is a risky activity.

I sat at a table outside a cafe on Monday. There is no way I would have sat inside.
    Well wear the mask inside and eat outside then
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

That's absolutely crazy. Removal of stitches isn't exactly for the uninitiated, there's a reason trained nurses are expected to do it, rather than just some random on the street.
    I suspect it is going to come down to me because I don't see how my wife can even see what she is doing except in a mirror which just adds another layer of complication. Not looking forward to it much. She has had a bandage plastered over it for the last 7 days so no one has actually seen the wound. There is some tracking of bruising down her neck but otherwise I don't know what we are going to find when we tease the bandage off.

I'm just hoping it is going to prove easier than I fear.
  • Options

Off topic, but the betting markets on Trump versus the news flow are genuinely bizarre.

I was reading this week-end's poll reporting from Newsweek. Their numbers show Biden a street ahead. A street ahead. IN the Swing states.

Newsweek's article reporting these numbers was almost apologetic. Like Henry V reading the casualty numbers after Agincourt in the Shakespeare play.

The only hope for Trump is that there a significant number of shy GOPpers. People so embarassed by Trump that they dare not speak his name yet will vote for him anyway. Otherwise he is toast. However bad his numbers are now, they're about to get worse as he spends every night of the GOP convention raving into the cameras about how popular he is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

2. Nothing is certain in politics. However, your hope of a Unionist grand coalition keeping the nats out of power is a long long shot at best
    3. I couldn't give a toss what Shagger has said. He openly lies and contradicts himself anyway so just because he says "I won't put a border down the Irish Sea" doesn't mean he won't then sign a treaty putting a border down the Irish Sea. A Scottish government elected with a clear mandate for a referendum cannot be stopped holding one. Will the army come in and arrest them? Yes it will be unofficial. But when that shows a clear mandate for Independence the UK politically cannot just say no.

As for your comments about the size and heft of the UK, we are about to scale back said heft and cut ourselves off from everyone. As the supplicant in the trading relationships to come you will see just how painful this will be. You can't say "no foreign power can set our laws" and then defend the US congress imposing US food standards and access on the UK so that we have to accept their weevil infested "food". yet you will be on here defending it.
    2 If Unionists unite at constituency level anything could happen next year.
    3. As Madrid showed in Catalonia a national government can block a nationalist regional government from holding an independence referendum if it wishes. The Tories have a comfortable majority at Westminster and Tory MPs will vote down any indyref2.

I voted Remain and yes I would accept some regulatory alignment for a FTA provided we end free movement and replace it with a points system and do our own trade deals.

However while No Deal would be damaging for the UK economy under 50% of UK exports go to the EU. No Deal followed by Scotland leaving the UK would devastate the Scottish economy as 70% of Scottish exports go to England
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762
    Do Leavers need Brexit to be perceived as some sort of success, or is blaming the EU/Remainers for the clusterfuck an acceptable alternative?

Because that will determine whether Johnson makes the necessary compromises to get a deal.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Eh? What were they doing stuck at home then?!
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Disgraceful
    There’s something wrong with the NHS structure that has nothing between the GP and A&E there should be an intermediate level of treatment that handles out of hours medical consultations and physical nursing activities 24/7. This leaves A&E for what it’s designed for, serious accidents and genuine emergencies. If by tomorrow you mean Monday it’s even more a dereliction of duty and should be called out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I thought this was how we were all supposed to cope with the tedium of lockdown? A bit counter intuitive.
  • Options

The only hope for Trump is that there a significant number of shy GOPpers. People so embarassed by Trump that they dare not speak his name yet will vote for him anyway. Otherwise he is toast. However bad his numbers are now, they're about to get worse as he spends every night of the GOP convention raving into the cameras about how popular he is.
    Trump will likely get a bounce from his convention as he did in 2016.

Polls from the Democratic convention until after the GOP convention therefore mean little
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

The issue isn't money or access to a machine, he already has one. It's the idea that the NHS is turning into a self-service system that's completely ridiculous. It's absolutely fucking disgraceful how the NHS is handling normal care at the moment.
    I had a routine colonoscopy last week which was fine but what next? Please buy a gopro on ebay, stuff it where the sun don't shine and send us the footage?
  • Options

Its also interesting that when people ask non=partisan questions they get different replies. Newsweek also polled black people and 80% said they want police funding to at least stay at the same level as it is, or even increase.

can the well of shy Trump voters, or people who simply won;t turn out for the dems, be that deep?

Surely not. But its a fascinating question.

And here's another question

If you are a pollster employed by an organisation for whom one side is a totally hated and completely abhorred anathema, are you really going to spring a poll showing that guy doing well?

• Options

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

There’s always this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IebwbtGUti0&feature=emb_logo
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I suspect it is going to come down to me because I don't see how my wife can even see what she is doing except in a mirror which just adds another layer of complication. Not looking forward to it much. She has had a bandage plastered over it for the last 7 days so no one has actually seen the wound. There is some tracking of bruising down her neck but otherwise I don't know what we are going to find when we tease the bandage off.

Wait, so the dressing hasn't been changed either? Isn't there a home visit nurse who should come and do these things? I know when my wife had an abscess removed there was a home visit twice to change the dressing and then a final one to remove the stitches, that was NHS as well, not private.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    Eh? What were they doing stuck at home then?!
    Arguing over the ipad
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

3. As Madrid showed in Catalonia a national government can block a nationalist regional government from holding an independence referendum if it wishes. The Tories have a comfortable majority at Westminster and Tory MPs will vote down any indyref2.

I voted Remain and yes I would accept some regulatory alignment for a FTA provided we end free movement and replace it with a points system and do our own trade deals.

However while No Deal would be damaging for the UK economy under 50% of UK exports go to the EU. No Deal followed by Scotland leaving the UK would devastate the Scottish economy as 70% of Scottish exports go to England
    Scotland is not Catalonia though. A breakaway region wanting to create a new entity is not the same as a legally recognised and separate nation wanting to dissolve an entity. Glad to see you are supporting the UK's supplication with regards to trade deals though. You telling us all how the US trade deal that gives us far worse terms than our current US trade deal and imposes US standards on the UK is the UK being sovereign and free will be genuinely funny.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I have monitored my blood pressure for years with a home unit and provide the readings at my bi annual reviews or any other time my GP requires it
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Wait, so the dressing hasn't been changed either? Isn't there a home visit nurse who should come and do these things? I know when my wife had an abscess removed there was a home visit twice to change the dressing and then a final one to remove the stitches, that was NHS as well, not private.
    No, I have thought that odd but in fairness the risk of an infection may be much greater from an abscess than a simple cut. I just don't think this is what would have happened if there had been a normal service. I have been to the GPs a couple of times to collect prescriptions for others and the most noticeable part of the overall quiet was the lack of a queue outside the doors of the practice nurse.
  • Options

Its also interesting that when people ask non=partisan questions they get different replies. Newsweek also polled black people and 80% said they want police funding to at least stay at the same level as it is, or even increase.

can the well of shy Trump voters, or people who simply won;t turn out for the dems, be that deep?

Surely not. But its a fascinating question.

And here's another question

If you are a pollster employed by an organisation for whom one side is a totally hated and completely abhorred anathema, are you really going to spring a poll showing that guy doing well?

One of the closest pollsters on the popular vote in 2016 was Rasmussen, who had Hillary ahead by 2% in their final poll, their last poll has it Biden 48% and Trump 44% and 4% undecided.

Trafalgar group also got Michigan and Pennsylvania right in 2016 and has key state polls much closer
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Really. Is that in Scotland
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump will likely get a bounce from his convention as he did in 2016.

Polls from the Democratic convention until after the GOP convention therefore mean little
    In 2016 he was relatively unknown as a political contender. He said a load of dog whistle stuff on the biggest platform to date and the people who respond to dog whistles did so.

This isn't 2016. Trump raving and drooling on TV night after night telling people that the sky is green and that the Joe Biden is the anti-Christ will give a boost. Downwards. I know that your current political bromance is with an incompetent proven liar who lies to your face and you like being lied to, but you are in a minority.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689
    HYUFD said:
    Johnson´s Conservatives cave in once again. Why don´t they stand up for Britains interests?
  • Options
    nichomar said:
    If people shopped local more and bought less on Amazon that would be more effective than a new tax on digital companies
  • Options

There are also, as was suggested yesterday, the possible shy Trump abandoners.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

There’s always this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IebwbtGUti0&feature=emb_logo
    Saizeriya are the shit, their thing is food that's crazy cheap but also pretty good. They do it by making recipes that can be made really efficiently and doesn't require the use of complex, dangerous tools such as knives. Apparently they still need knives to cut the tomatoes in the salad, but they're developing a new kind of tomato that won't go squishy if you cut it in the factory. Also they're pioneering cheap wine for the masses, the way British supermarkets did in the 80s.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

When Yes Minister had the super efficient hospital that didn't have any patients oh how we laughed at the absurdity. Well we're not laughing now.
    But it won the Florence Nightingale award for most hygienic hospital!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

Scotland is not Catalonia though. A breakaway region wanting to create a new entity is not the same as a legally recognised and separate nation wanting to dissolve an entity. Glad to see you are supporting the UK's supplication with regards to trade deals though. You telling us all how the US trade deal that gives us far worse terms than our current US trade deal and imposes US standards on the UK is the UK being sovereign and free will be genuinely funny.
    Catalonia was an independent republic in the 17th century and Scotland is not an independent nation, it is part of the UK. There can be no indyref without Westminster consent, 2014 was 'once in a generation' and the Tory majority at Westminster will ensure that is respected and vote down indyref2 no matter what the circumstances
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    "Saizeriya are the shit,.."
    The importance of the definite article!
  • Options
    The other Saizeriya corona innovation was to round up all their prices (eg 300 yen instead of 299 yen) to need to give change.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:
    If people shopped local more and bought less on Amazon that would be more effective than a new tax on digital companies
    But they aren’t going to are they.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    edited August 2020
    BETTING POST

Draw in Test 3.6 is far too high IMO

I think day 5 will be completely washed out and day 4 will be badly interrupted too. So how long will it take England to get 17 wkts

I reckon they have 120 overs left (70 today, 50 tomorrow, zero on day5) in the last 3 days which may be enough but wheras a home win would be a virtual certainty with 270 overs its not in less than half that.

Anyway i am taking a chance that the weather is bad enougn to make the draw a tighter than 3.6 chance.

DYOR
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Mr. G, the currency question is a pretty important one, to be fair.

Mr. Pete, Cameron was right not to lower the voting age, which would've been gerrymandering the electorate to his advantage.

You're right about his complacency, however. Having the official Leave campaign put together a basic prospectus would've been rather sensible, and the absence of it was a bit odd.

It would have been better than what we got but it misses the key point of @AlastairMeeks’s excellent article, namely, that the EU was under no obligation to grant what was in the Leaver’s prospectus.

The only way it might have worked was if the EU had agreed in advance what deal it would reach with Britain in the event of a “No” vote. But that was not going to happen as the EU wanted Britain to stay.

A big mistake was made by not hearing from the EU directly during the campaign. I wrote so at the time - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/18/the-eu-dog-that-hasnt-barked-yet/.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Just as we are all focused on how the PM did not cancel his family holiday (let's not get into its claims to abroadness), but not so focused that we can't take time to reflect that Scarborough is only 80 miles from Barnard Castle. Williamson rattled, hurrah; that tweet is a masterclass in how not to do things.
  • Options

The other Saizeriya corona innovation was to round up all their prices (eg 300 yen instead of 299 yen) to need to give change.

Still using notes and coin rather than contactless cards in Japan?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

Catalonia was an independent republic in the 17th century and Scotland is not an independent nation, it is part of the UK. There can be no indyref without Westminster consent, 2014 was 'once in a generation' and the Tory majority at Westminster will ensure that is respected and vote down indyref2 no matter what the circumstances
    Change the record mate.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Unbelievable, and they are shouting about how they deserve a 15% pay rise for working so hard
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:
    The one thing thar covid does seem to have achieved is cement online shopping into the nations behaviour and it will only increase year on year

As far as a digital tax is concerned it can only happen with international concensus and that also requires the removal of Trump
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,018
    DavidL said:

Being a veteran of many motorcycle and cycling accidents I have had over 100 stitches on various parts of my body and have removed them all myself. It's not a big deal.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

Change the record , you have bored people to death, surprised Mike has not blocked you to save the site going under from boredom. Get a job at your local stables , you will have unlimited shit to shovel there.
  • Options

BETTING POST

I think day 5 will be completely washed out and day 4 will be badly interrupted too. So how long will it take England to get 17 wkts

I reckon they have 120 overs left (70 today, 50 tomorrow, zero on day5) in the last 3 days which may be enough but wheras a home win would be a virtual certainty with 270 overs its not in less than half that.

Anyway i am taking a chance that the weather is bad enougn to make the draw a tighter than 3.6 chance.

DYOR

3 took about 20 minutes last night
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

But it won the Florence Nightingale award for most hygienic hospital!
    I have been genuinely expecting a serious proposal that all potential covid patients without exception should lock themselves into their homes and die, rather than selfishly endanger Our Wonderful NHS Carers by seeking medical assistance. We are getting there.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:
    Johnson´s Conservatives cave in once again. Why don´t they stand up for Britains interests?
    Surprise Surprise , USA say bend over and Tories say how far.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

Change the record , you have bored people to death, surprised Mike has not blocked you to save the site going under from boredom. Get a job at your local stables , you will have unlimited shit to shovel there.
    This site allows all opinions, including those of diehard Unionists such as myself and I will continue to express my views
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

Now we know what the H in HYUFD stands for!

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689

MaxPB said:

And a government that doesn´t want citizens.
  • Options
    I am afraid that Mr Meeks, through his arrogant blindness which means that no Leaver can ever be anything less than a fanatic, once again makes claims that are not supported by the most basic of facts.

Most of those Leavers who were happy with the idea of a Norway or Switzerland deal would still be happy with that deal. The problem is that we were never the majority amongst the Leave movement and so have to accept that that will not now be the end point. We have not become more radicalised.

With the exception of the few public figures who would say and do anything to achieve their aims (shock, horror, politicians lie to get what they want!!) most Leavers are still in the same position they were in back when this all started. Those who wanted to sever all ties, however ephemeral, still want to. Those who wanted to kick out all the foreigners still want to. And those who wanted to be out of the political union but were happy with a trading relationship like that enjoyed by EFTA still want that.

I have no idea where we will end up - simply because I have no idea what makes Johnson tick beyond basic desire for power and self aggrandisement. He may well decide to crumble at the last minute. He may well see this as his 1940, standing proudly on the cliffs and daring the enemy to come. Whatever he does will be driven by what he thinks is best for him rather than the country. But as I have said all along, wherever we end up it will be not as good as the Brexit politicians promised and not as bad as the Remainer politicians claimed. It will certainly, for me at least, be better than where we were.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:
    Well then the high street will die apart from a few very high quality local shops and estate agents and Starbucks and takeaways and no amount of digital tax will make a difference.

In which case the Tories should stick to their low tax principles and not impose a new tax given Amazon is still a major employer and job creator in the UK
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Death, disease and economic misery: hmm. I can do without that level of “interesting”.

BTW I really really would not remove your wife’s stitches yourself. Go to your doctor or A&E if necessary. It may look easy when done by a professional but get it wrong and the wound infected and you’re potentially looking at a whole heap of trouble.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

BETTING POST

DYOR

3 took about 20 minutes last night
    It did and I am by no means certain Pakistan can survive but the weather will give them a chance.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    MaxPB said:

I do see the problem of surgeries having a constant stream of potentially infected people, so I've no issue with triaging and initially consulting by phone. But this seems unreasonable. Has your dad considered enquiring whether other local surgeries are more helpful? Certainly mine did a blood test (which seems slightly more interactive than a BP reading) without hesitation when needed for a minor check-up.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Still using notes and coin rather than contactless cards in Japan?
    Yup, you can use contactless cards if you want to everywhere except like little village shops run by old people, and sometimes even there. But cash works really well in Japan, there's not much street crime and they never bitch at you for using a big note. The government's trying really hard to change it - they even had a special lower VAT rate for cashless payments - but most people just want to stick with cash.

The other thing about cash in Japan is that you can use pretty large quantities; After a funeral I was walking around with the equivalent of like 10K GBP in little envelopes, and when I pay my taxes I just walk into the post office with cash and wop my wad on the counter, in accordance with my Essex heritage.
  • Options
    That Times stuff about Corbyn is completely damning. The 2019 campaign was completely and utterly dysfunctional.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Remember the days when Tories were outraged at the Shadow Chancellor offering up a copy of Mao’s Little Red Book as a guide?

Now they see him as an example to be followed.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Plenty of it in America.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

HYUFD repeats and repeats the same mantra with no self awareness at all

Mind you if he is to be blocked many others would be candidates as well

On a more serious note on indy2 it just has to be done with Westminster approval for international legitimacy and as you know I accept if the SNP win next year on that manifesto , it should be recognised and negotiations started over the legislation required

Of course if Starmer joins Boris in saying no then a delay would look inevitable but who knows

However, if there is one thing Brexit has taught us, it will be a long protracted process with true independence some years away even in a good wind
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

2 is not certain

This site allows all opinions, including those of diehard Unionists such as myself and I will continue to express my views
    There is no other poster on here who regurgitates the exact same posts constantly. Most have enough brain cells to be able to progress and offer varying topics and opinions. Even Scott's cut and paste tweets are on different topics.
    PS: why not just give them numbers and it would save you cut and pasting each time.
This discussion has been closed.