Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Biden note that’s made Harris odds on favourite once again

123457»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Been out most of the day. What happened with that Fake Thread? Hackers?

Yes. I was using an old password for my account, and I think someone got in.

It's been changed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    rcs1000 said:

It's been changed.
    LDsRNo.1 was pretty easy to guess.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's been changed.
    Rad1oheadr1?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's been changed.
    Rad1oheadr1?
    SmallTaxiForLibDems
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Of the 79 immigrants who arrived this weekend by boat to the province of Alicante, 75 are quarantined in a tent in the Campoamor neighborhood and the remaining four are in hospital admission.

Bloody hot in a tent! Only 3k up the road from here.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's been changed.
    Rad1oheadr1?
    SmallTaxiForLibDems
    A tandem bike would do, surely? And it's more environmentally friendly.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,312
    rcs1000 said:

It's been changed.
    Thanks Robert. No harm done then?
  • Options

Gabs3 said:
    There is no such thing as "law" in communist countries. It is all about power and communists will not tolerate any power independent of the Party.
    In this you are mistaken.

There is indeed the concept of Law in dictatorial countries.

It is subordinated to the Good Of The People. Which is in turn defined by the Rulers.

So in China, the Law is defined as whatever the Party deems to protect The People.
    There are disturbing parallels in other places too.

In the US, the President using his power of pardon to release those who served and protected him undermines the rule of law in exactly the same way. If you win, you didn't commit an offence, because you will be pardoned.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Lewis Goodall on R4 - the timing of lockdown was delayed because of SAGE belief in "lockdown fatigue" you couldn't lockdown too early or it would breakdown as infection peaked - but there wasn't much, if any scientific evidence that "lockdown fatigue" existed - as indeed it turned out....

I think these attempts to rewrite history are really futile.

Jenny Harries said publicly in March that they didn't want to apply the restrictions too soon because they thought it would lead to a second wave later. Quite clearly there was a herd immunity strategy.
    I'm not going to marry Johnny Depp's ex-wife. It's a Heard immunity strategy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Lewis Goodall on R4 - the timing of lockdown was delayed because of SAGE belief in "lockdown fatigue" you couldn't lockdown too early or it would breakdown as infection peaked - but there wasn't much, if any scientific evidence that "lockdown fatigue" existed - as indeed it turned out....

Jenny Harries said publicly in March that they didn't want to apply the restrictions too soon because they thought it would lead to a second wave later. Quite clearly there was a herd immunity strategy.
    Hopefully you've taken similar precautions against marrying former Foreign Secretary Douglas.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Hopefully you've taken similar precautions against marrying former Foreign Secretary Douglas.
    Who is still alive at the age of 90.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

That's an aDeppt move given what she appears to get up to.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Politico.com - Kanye West's presidential nominating petitions challenged in New Jersey

A Democratic lawyer is challenging Kanye West’s presidential petition signatures, threatening his place as an independent candidate on New Jersey’s ballot.

Scott Salmon, who ran for Congress in 2018, said that although West filed at least 500 signatures more than needed to get on the ballot, those signatures are “egregiously bad, almost to a degree insulting.” The signatures, he said, are missing required information and many appear to be written in the same hand.

The acclaimed entertainer and billionaire, who listed his residence as Cody, Wyo., filed 1,327 petition signatures with the state on July 27 — far more than the 800 required to get on the ballot. He was one of seven independent or third-party candidates who filed.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

LOL!

I don't think we would have been shielded from the impact of the GFC if we'd had the pre-97 financial regulation system. The collapse in the global economy caused by the American crash would have affected us whatever, as would the near-collapse of the Euro.

But it is at least possible, though ultimately unprovable, that our own financial system would not have contributed to the disaster.

At any rate, the Conservatives, had they been in power in 1997-2007, could hardly have done worse than Brown did in those years.
    No problem with this as a view.

I personally find it improbable that a Conservative government would have done more to squash City excess and its tendency to ape Wall St but, as you say, it's not provable either way and, no, the Brown bar is not high.

There, see? Objective to a fault. :smile:
    It wasn't "bonus culture" that was the problem it was lack of regulatory oversight that was the problem. HBOS turned their liquidity buffer into a profit centre by buying riskier assets and the FSA did nothing about it, before that the Bank of England had specific regulations in place to prevent such a thing from happening. The FSA was asleep at the wheel and we all paid the price. The FSA was a Brown creation, he destroyed the regulatory environment, he is responsible for the collapse of the sector.
    Not an either/or. Lax regulation, yes, but the Bonus Culture was also a problem. A massive problem. The crisis was as much behavioural as structural and culture drives behaviour. In this case a corrupt culture driving corrupt behaviour.
    From over 3 years ago - but still relevant, I think.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/01/20/cyclefree-asks-are-banks-the-new-unions/
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Politico.com - Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask, tests positive for coronavirus

The Texas Republican received the diagnosis during a pre-screening procedure at the White House on Wednesday morning.

Rep. Louie Gohmert — a Texas Republican who has been walking around the Capitol without a mask — has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple sources.

Gohmert was scheduled to fly to Texas on Wednesday morning with President Donald Trump and tested positive in a pre-screen at the White House. The eighth-term Republican told CNN last month that he was not wearing a mask because he was being tested regularly for the coronavirus.

"[I]f I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

Reps. Mario Diaz Balart (R-Fla.), Neal Dunn (R-Fla.), Morgan Griffith (R-Va.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Ben McAdams (D-Utah) and Tom Rice (R-S.C.) have tested positive for the virus, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.).

In May, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) turned down the administration's offer of rapid testing for the Capitol. Some lawmakers — mostly Republicans — decline to use face coverings while in the building.

Gohmert attended Tuesday's blockbuster House Judiciary Committee hearing with Attorney General William Barr in person, where lawmakers were seated at some distance from one another.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264

Finally this thread dies, properly.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    kinabalu said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:
    It's not. But I'm also super sceptical of the high numbers for both the Greens and the Libertarians. This is such a polarising election: you are either voting for Trump to continue in office, or for him to leave office.

For what it's worth Zogby is rated by 538 as a C+ pollster with a mild (0.6 pp) Republican lean.
    Actually it's not a bad poll for Biden. The last Zogby analytics poll was from 1-2 June and had Biden 46 Trump 46.
    I'm more worried about the Change Research polls today showing Biden's lead dropping in Pa from +8 to +2, and in Fla from +7 to +3, compared to 2 weeks ago.
    If the US annouces a vaccine before the election, which is highly likely, then Trump will win.
    I think that's probably nonsense. But perhaps it is best if any vaccine from the US comes after Nov 3rd. Just to be on the safe side.
    Whats the betting one of Trump's big pharma mates declares they have developed a successful vaccine in around the middle of October? On November 4th a totally unforeseen problem with the vaccine will emerge and it will never be heard again.

I still think Trump will win this because there is no limit to the lying and skulduggery that he will be prepared to stoop to in order to do it. I can see him stirring up race riots, conjuring up fake news to declare postal votes invalid. You name and they are probably already on to it.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

We are. Driving to France via Eurotunnel, staying in our own car, then onto a villa for a few weeks. No greater risk than staying at home and significantly less risk than spending time in any UK holiday resort. Quite happy to quarantine on our return if necessary.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Trump is mooting an election delay

Hold on to your hats!
This discussion has been closed.