Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf…on the day James Murdoch stepped aside

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf…on the day James Murdoch stepped aside

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,015
    First
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

I give it a couple of months, and I think Jenrick and corruption will be major factors.

Corruption, self-interest, incompetence, bad economy, "time for a change".. decent Labour leader etc.

Remind you of something?

It could be a solid Labour win in 2024 (not a landslide, because.. culture wars) but very solid - say, 350 seats or so.
    Yep. The ruling out of a Labour majority I often come across is imo stale thinking.
    To get a majority of one Starmer needs to make a net gain of 124 seats.

To put that in context, only one party has gained that many seats at a single election since the Second World War - Tony Blair in 1997, who gained 145.

It has only happened twice more in the age of universal suffrage - in 1931, when the Conservatives gained 210 seats, and 1945 (during the war but very near the end of it) when Labour gained 239 seats.

That is not to say it is impossible. This government is already a shambles and the shit has yet to really hit the fan. Starmer, meanwhile, is exuding calm competence, moderation and dignity.

It is however going to be bloody difficult and Starmer would be wise not to raise any expectations he will struggle to meet.
    Well it's 3.25 on Betfair. In English that is "deemed quite likely" - which is how I would put it if I hadn't looked up the odds first. I'm not backing it right now, tbf, but neither am I laying it.
    Is 3.25 "quite likely"?

I may not be understanding the way it works right but I thought that was a 30% chance which is certainly quite possible but not quite likely.

If someone said that for instance in the Liverpool v Aston Villa game there was a 70% chance of a Liverpool victory then I wouldn't say it had been "deemed quite likely" that Liverpool would drop points against Villa even if its certainly quite possible.
    Well I would go with -

10% - unlikely
    30% - quite likely
    50% - likely
    75% - very likely
    I wouldn't.

I'd think "quite likely" is more likely than merely "likely" but not as likely as "very likely".
    So it's good we've had this exchange because we now know that we use the word "likely" in a different way. Also the word "quite" - where I maintain you are being exotic and niche. It is normally a qualifier which mutes an adjective rather than amplifies it.

For example, "Marti Pellow is a good singer. Ronan Keating is quite a good singer."

If someone says this, I would suggest that they consider Pellow to be a better singer than Keating. Per you, it's the other way around.

That's odd. It's not going on the list, but it is odd.
    Quite is defined as adding emphasis not as a diminutive but less emphasis than eg very. So someone being a quite good singer (odd phrase) is better than a good sing but not quite a very good singer. It should go likely < quite likely < very likely.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    @Charles I'm surprised to see you getting hung up on the "once in a generation" remark by Salmond like HYUFD does.

Do you agree with the principle that no Parliament can bind its successor? Do you agree that no PM/FM can bind their successors?

Constitutionally Johnson isn't bound by comments May made. Sturgeon isn't bound by comments Salmond made.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,872

@Charles I'm surprised to see you getting hung up on the "once in a generation" remark by Salmond like HYUFD does.

Do you agree with the principle that no Parliament can bind its successor? Do you agree that no PM/FM can bind their successors?

Constitutionally Johnson isn't bound by comments May made. Sturgeon isn't bound by comments Salmond made.

How can the decison to Leave the EU not annul promises/pledges made in the IndyRef? It seems clear as crystal that there are grounds for another one
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072
    A James Murdoch story wasn't top of mind for a thread header.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924

FPT

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

I give it a couple of months, and I think Jenrick and corruption will be major factors.

Corruption, self-interest, incompetence, bad economy, "time for a change".. decent Labour leader etc.

Remind you of something?

It could be a solid Labour win in 2024 (not a landslide, because.. culture wars) but very solid - say, 350 seats or so.
    Yep. The ruling out of a Labour majority I often come across is imo stale thinking.
    To get a majority of one Starmer needs to make a net gain of 124 seats.

To put that in context, only one party has gained that many seats at a single election since the Second World War - Tony Blair in 1997, who gained 145.

It has only happened twice more in the age of universal suffrage - in 1931, when the Conservatives gained 210 seats, and 1945 (during the war but very near the end of it) when Labour gained 239 seats.

That is not to say it is impossible. This government is already a shambles and the shit has yet to really hit the fan. Starmer, meanwhile, is exuding calm competence, moderation and dignity.

It is however going to be bloody difficult and Starmer would be wise not to raise any expectations he will struggle to meet.
    Well it's 3.25 on Betfair. In English that is "deemed quite likely" - which is how I would put it if I hadn't looked up the odds first. I'm not backing it right now, tbf, but neither am I laying it.
    Is 3.25 "quite likely"?

I may not be understanding the way it works right but I thought that was a 30% chance which is certainly quite possible but not quite likely.

If someone said that for instance in the Liverpool v Aston Villa game there was a 70% chance of a Liverpool victory then I wouldn't say it had been "deemed quite likely" that Liverpool would drop points against Villa even if its certainly quite possible.
    Well I would go with -

10% - unlikely
    30% - quite likely
    50% - likely
    75% - very likely
    I wouldn't.

I'd think "quite likely" is more likely than merely "likely" but not as likely as "very likely".
    So it's good we've had this exchange because we now know that we use the word "likely" in a different way. Also the word "quite" - where I maintain you are being exotic and niche. It is normally a qualifier which mutes an adjective rather than amplifies it.

For example, "Marti Pellow is a good singer. Ronan Keating is quite a good singer."

If someone says this, I would suggest that they consider Pellow to be a better singer than Keating. Per you, it's the other way around.

That's odd. It's not going on the list, but it is odd.
    Quite is defined as adding emphasis not as a diminutive but less emphasis than eg very. So someone being a quite good singer (odd phrase) is better than a good sing but not quite a very good singer. It should go likely < quite likely < very

This is a NA English modifier difference. Quite is close to very in NA. An intensifier.
    In British English it is a softener.
    No idea about Oz, but maybe this is where the confusion lies.
    Tell an American and an English girl you think they are quite good looking and see which works.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072
    There are two threads running in parallel. THis is deeply confusing.
  • Labour minority Government seems like an astute bet
This discussion has been closed.