Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Conducting elections with the great unwashed during and after

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

The government are sending out the who the hell are they team today...

It will be led by Environment Secretary George Eustice, who has previously updated us on food supplies to supermarkets during the pandemic. He'll be joined by NHS England's national medical director Prof Stephen Powis, who also attended yesterday's briefing.

Cant be as bad as Pritti.

Yesterdays classic was that shoplifting is down. Shocked!!
    Remember, only shoplift for essentials.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited April 2020
    From the Gruardian...

"Testing for coronavirus remains a particular problem in Wales. A reader, who did not want to be named, emailed a photo of an empty testing centre at Cardiff Stadium at 1.45pm on Sunday.

The Welsh government has scraped a target for 5,000 tests per day blaming problems with obtaining supplies."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Mr. Eagles, I'm going shopping for food regularly. Hundreds of times more often than I vote.

If this is still an issue at the time, then a combination of postal voting and having multi-day ballots would make more sense than the insanity of online voting.

It'd be wide open to hacking shenanigans and severely damage faith in the result. Leaping from the best system (in person) to the worst without considering the middle way of postal voting is crackers.

Mr. kinabalu, the great warm embrace of online voting is such that even participants not usually invited to democratic events get to take part.

Mr. Urquhart, making something mandatory when it seems about to run out is sub-optimal.

But which hypothetically is worse -

5m people voting twice or 5m people not able to vote?
    5 million voting twice.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    There is a Twitter World Cup of MPs and you can bet on it, that is all.

(And take the evens on a Labour MP winning. It's Twitter.)

https://twitter.com/StarSports_Bet/status/1254413828663709698
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,890

Carnyx said:

The winning margin at Scottish Referendum '79 was very similar to EU Ref.

EU Ref = 3.8%
    Devolution Ref '79 = 3.2%

Except that the turnout meant that fewer than 40% of the electorate supported Devolution.

It was assumed that any dead voters were agin Devolution!
    Tbf the ones that died of old age probably were.

Next cunning plan from Unionists, bequeathed indy ref votes, to be valid post mortem for a generation.
    May not be that far-fetched in reality. Dealing with a relative's estate recently, I was quite surprised to discover that political parties were treated like charities for IHT purposes. Leave money to the Raving Loonies, don't have to pay IHT on it ... of course, it's possible to put forward a convincing hypothesis as to which party benefits far more than the others, given the demographic and so on.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,317
    Pagan2 said:

The concept of online voting perfectly highlights a good way of telling if something is a good idea or a bad idea. Merely ask yourself before positing an idea...."Does Donald Trump think this is a good idea?" If the answer is yes then you can save yourself looking a fool by suggesting it.

We don't agree on much but I fully endorse that general rule.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,404

kyf_100 said:

Online voting is the work of Satan.

I agree but we are where we are.

Would you go out and vote if you and your family might get a deadly virus?
    I'm struggling to understand what is wrong with postal voting. Your vote is delivered to you by the mailman, you walk it 100 yards (or drive 500) to the postbox, stick it in the post, no contact. It is then delivered to the place where it is counted, where social distancing can be observed.

It is also quite hard for the Russians to interfere with. Online voting, on the other hand...
    Yes, postal voting is the way to go.

The envelopes can be made self-sealing, so no saliva need be involved, and you could potentially work something out with the royal mail for the collection of votes for those shielding, or with local party members - though your choice of which party you trust to collect your vote may give a clue to the way in which you chose to vote. Relatively easy to leave the votes for however long it takes for the virus to die before counting them.
    Local activists handling postal votes like that is already very close to an offence, since it raises the clear possibility of several, and is strongly discouraged.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    felix said:

Much of the country has average temp ma between 23 and 27 degrees C.

Yeah, but the actual province the excess deaths were counted in was around Guayaquil on the coast. Doesn't seem to be helping much at all, unfortunately.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited April 2020

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

So, this "smokers immunity" looks like it might be a thing. In France they are experimenting with nicotine patches as a treatment.

Can you point to anything that remotely shows that ?
    I'd have thought smoking would lead to a poorer prognosis.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/23/smokers-four-times-less-likely-contract-covid-19-prompting-nicotine/

Mind you we are forever being told that there are 2000 noxious substances in tobacco smoke, so why nicotione should be the key ingredient isn't clear. If it is I'm not going to start smoking again but this vaping thing might be worth looking at.
    Wouldn't smoking or vaping carry respiratory droplets further than 2 metres?
    Why "carry," when the droplets are airborne in their own right? In fact smoking could be beneficial to others if the smoke disperses in the same way as the droplets, because it acts as a marker while non-smokers create exactly the samr danger, only invisibly.
    I'm sitting on my patio nonchalantly, or I'm helping Mum with the gardening and the neighbours' smoke wafts over the garden fence. What then? The neighbours might be physically over 2 metres away (on their own property, natch), but the smoke doesn't obey that rule, does it?
    I do feel your pain. The smoke doesn't obey the two metre rule *but neither does the virus, which spreads independently of the smoke.* I don't know whether droplets behave differently from smoke particles, but the default assumption is that they do, roughly, being small and light and airborne. Here

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-3d-model-reveals-how-covid-19-can-spread-in-supermarket-11971373

is a graphic of how droplets spread. It is therefore very possible that your neighbours endanger you by simply breathing just as much as by smoking.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. Eagles, I'm going shopping for food regularly. Hundreds of times more often than I vote.

If this is still an issue at the time, then a combination of postal voting and having multi-day ballots would make more sense than the insanity of online voting.

It'd be wide open to hacking shenanigans and severely damage faith in the result. Leaping from the best system (in person) to the worst without considering the middle way of postal voting is crackers.

Mr. kinabalu, the great warm embrace of online voting is such that even participants not usually invited to democratic events get to take part.

Mr. Urquhart, making something mandatory when it seems about to run out is sub-optimal.

But which hypothetically is worse -

5m people voting twice or 5m people not able to vote?
    5 million voting twice.
    And the thinking?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    28 mins in, care homes pressured into taking covid-19 patients from hospitals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h2pc
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

This seems a little pertinent for all those who were yesteday claiming that Cummings was as silent as a SPAD can be during SAGE meetings. Unless he is fluent in sign langauage as well as Russian I doubt he would have been able to make an 'active' contribution otherwise.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/attendees-of-sage-coronavirus-meetings-worried-by-presence-of-dominic-cummings

The key part:

However, the two other Sage attendees the Guardian spoke to painted a different picture to that presented by No 10, which has been striving to play down the influence of the two advisers. Both Sage attendees declined to be named.

“I have been concerned sometimes that Sage has become too operational, so we’ve ended up looking as though we are making decisions,” one of them said, making clear that Cummings had been involved on those occasions. “It contravenes previous guidelines about how you make sure you get impartial scientific advice going through to politicians, who make the decisions.”

Referring to both Cummings and Warner, the Sage attendee added: “When a very senior civil servant or a very well-connected person interrupts, then I don’t think anyone in the room feels the power to stop it. When you get to discussing where advice might be going, there have been occasions where they have been involved, and a couple of times I’ve thought: that’s not what we are supposed to be doing.”

A second Sage attendee said Cummings had played an active role meetings from February onwards. They said they were initially shocked to discover Cummings was taking part in a meeting of supposedly independent scientific experts.

“He was not just an observer, he’s listed as an active participant,” the source said. “He was engaging in conversation and not sitting silently.” The second attendee said Cumming’s involvement was worrying because of his reputation in Whitehall and the questions his participation raises about Sage’s role as a neutral body of expert advisers.

Cummings wouldn't have wasted his time being there if he didn't think he could have an influence. Sitting at the back and quietly listening to the others is not in his DNA
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm struggling to understand what is wrong with postal voting. Your vote is delivered to you by the mailman, you walk it 100 yards (or drive 500) to the postbox, stick it in the post, no contact. It is then delivered to the place where it is counted, where social distancing can be observed.

It is also quite hard for the Russians to interfere with. Online voting, on the other hand...
    All of the voting scandals of recent times have been related to postal voting. Such things as the head of the household or community leaders collecting ballot papers and filling them or one bedroom flats which apparently have 21 people registered to vote living there.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. And if it were possible, I'd do away with postal voting and make each person present themselves at a polling booth with photo ID, unless they had a medical reason to apply for a postal vote.

However, postal voting already happens. It is widespread, known and, while flawed, is considerably better than online voting during a pandemic (or any other time).

A really dedicated postal-vote-rigger might try granny farming or forge a few signatures. But at best they might be able to influence a small number of votes. And there is a literal paper trail to investigate.

A hacker gaining control of an online system has the potential to change 100% of the votes in their favour, and if they do it correctly, to do it without anyone ever being able to prove the election has been rigged.

Online voting will ALWAYS be subject to questioning about its integrity. Because the security is is too complex for the lay person to understand. Think about all the hoo-hah about Russian influence on Brexit. Now imagine a knife edge vote like that, if it could never be proven that the vote was hacked. It is a recipe for calling into question the legitimacy of every vote you disagree with. For that reason alone, it should never, ever be allowed to happen.
    We trust computers to move billions and fly planes.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

From the Gruardian...

"Testing for coronavirus remains a particular problem in Wales. A reader, who did not want to be named, emailed a photo of an empty testing centre at Cardiff Stadium at 1.45pm on Sunday.

The Welsh government has scraped a target for 5,000 tests per day blaming problems with obtaining supplies."

Could this be a Chapel, testing on the Sabbath is immoral kind of thing?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    FPT @CarlottaVance
    CarlottaVance said:

» show previous quotes
    How's your wife doing by the way? I know its a (more than normally) worrying time for those with underlying health issues. I've got one 64 year old friend who's had an NHS "do not cross your threshold" letter.

She is improving but cannot go to hospital for x-rays or any other stuff at present. She is on the 12 week lockdown so I am same , been out twice for prescriptions since she came home 30th January. Both consultant and GP phoned and said do not go out at all. Government have finally sorted out stuff and prescriptions get delivered and hopefully will now be able to get slots at supermarkets. Think realistically we will be in for a good while. Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    That is a good line, I must say I am surprised at it’s originator
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

All of the voting scandals of recent times have been related to postal voting. Such things as the head of the household or community leaders collecting ballot papers and filling them or one bedroom flats which apparently have 21 people registered to vote living there.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. And if it were possible, I'd do away with postal voting and make each person present themselves at a polling booth with photo ID, unless they had a medical reason to apply for a postal vote.

However, postal voting already happens. It is widespread, known and, while flawed, is considerably better than online voting during a pandemic (or any other time).

A really dedicated postal-vote-rigger might try granny farming or forge a few signatures. But at best they might be able to influence a small number of votes. And there is a literal paper trail to investigate.

A hacker gaining control of an online system has the potential to change 100% of the votes in their favour, and if they do it correctly, to do it without anyone ever being able to prove the election has been rigged.

Online voting will ALWAYS be subject to questioning about its integrity. Because the security is is too complex for the lay person to understand. Think about all the hoo-hah about Russian influence on Brexit. Now imagine a knife edge vote like that, if it could never be proven that the vote was hacked. It is a recipe for calling into question the legitimacy of every vote you disagree with. For that reason alone, it should never, ever be allowed to happen.
    I thought quantum cryptography could be used to verify that Alice's vote is not tampered with between her and Bob.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

EU Ref = 3.8%

Except that the turnout meant that fewer than 40% of the electorate supported Devolution.

You mean the dead and non voters were counted as NO's thanks to English Labour.
  • Options
    Blat.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197
    kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

Those are things that happen all the time, so the befits of automation are huge.

We vote once a year (if that) and if it’s not broke then don’t fix it. I think TSE is looking for a problem where none exists.
  • Options
    Egg-heads seem very slow today with their abacus to release the number of tests etc.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

So, this "smokers immunity" looks like it might be a thing. In France they are experimenting with nicotine patches as a treatment.

Does seem odd.

Data from China that @Foxy quoted a while ago.

And today I have been informed about a study in Paris showing the same thing. With results so striking as to trigger the interest in nicotine as a treatment.

Probably bollox - but as a smoker I have skin in the game.
    I think the hypothesis is that nicotine stimulates the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and thereby alter the ACE2 receptor protein. This then makes viral entry into the cell more difficult.

Studies show that smokers are less likely to get it but more likely to die when they do. A sort of double or quits.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

I thought quantum cryptography could be used to verify that Alice's vote is not tampered with between her and Bob.
    While it's an interesting idea, and there are quite a few blockchains dedicated to verifying the authenticity of a product (I believe VeChain does this - but not my area of expertise) I think the problems with such a system are

1) How would votes remain anonymous under such a system?

2) How could such a system gain the confidence of the lay person, most of whom do not understand crypto at all (remember, the general public thinks pencils in polling stations are a conspiracy).

3) What if the system as set up were built with a backdoor or a flaw in the code that was exploitable?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    29k tests yesterday....Hancock is going to be pummelled by the media in a few days when it is still only 35k tests a day.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited April 2020

'The great unwashed'

I stopped reading right there.

Don't be one of those halfwits who doesn't read the threads then imagines what they think the writer wrote.

You'll miss subtlety, nuance, and great wordplay.

The great unwashed are both the voters and activists who do not engage in good hygiene.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes, like the computer-assisted flight of the 737 max. I rest my case.
  • Options

'The great unwashed'

Don't be one of those halfwits who doesn't read the threads then imagines what they think the writer wrote.

The great unwashed are both the voters and activists who do not engage in good hygiene.
    I just presumed you were talking about the French.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    isam said:

I am 99% sure John Rentoul didn’t invent bat burgers.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,015

Jesus christ....the amount of fake news the government are having to battle.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1254406873928908802?s=20

This is a problem of their own devising. They can't redirect people to listen to real news, because Dom says they are lying Democrat whiners, and they can't redirect people to the neutral advice because Dom writes their scripts.
  • Options
    isam said:

Of all the failings that's probably the worst. Simply no excuse not to test every patient being discharged from hospital heading to a care home.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

Oh it’s been on twitter for ages. Damn I wanted to give out some praise... and can you phone a Deliveroo order?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,246
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

EU Ref = 3.8%

Next cunning plan from Unionists, bequeathed indy ref votes, to be valid post mortem for a generation.
    May not be that far-fetched in reality. Dealing with a relative's estate recently, I was quite surprised to discover that political parties were treated like charities for IHT purposes. Leave money to the Raving Loonies, don't have to pay IHT on it ... of course, it's possible to put forward a convincing hypothesis as to which party benefits far more than the others, given the demographic and so on.
    Let's hope Her Maj hangs on for a bit yet, the bequest to the Better Together parties could be massive.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

'The great unwashed'

And also it's a ridiculous phrase to use. If you want to be read as a commentator then consider your audience.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

And today I have been informed about a study in Paris showing the same thing. With results so striking as to trigger the interest in nicotine as a treatment.

Where can I get a pack of Navy Cut or Senior Service - if we're gonna do it we gotta go strong!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Of all the failings that's probably the worst. Simply no excuse not to test every patient being discharged from hospital heading to a care home.
    Whilst I agree that more care should be taken, what percentage of infected care homes do you think have been infected in this way?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The government use data from Apple Maps....who the hell uses Apple maps for directions? I actually want to get where I am looking to go quickly and easily....
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Oh it’s been on twitter for ages. Damn I wanted to give out some praise... and can you phone a Deliveroo order?
    Good writers borrow, great writers steal. I'm the first person to ever say that.
  • Options

The government use data from Apple Maps....who the hell uses Apple maps for directions? I actually want to get where I am looking to go quickly and easily....

Apple da best.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Australian newspaper to China a week or two ago: "To us 'Bradman bats and bats and bats' is a sports headline, to you it's a menu".
  • Options
    I am not really sure we need a press conference on a Sunday. It really is what we said yesterday is the same...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,137
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/23/smokers-four-times-less-likely-contract-covid-19-prompting-nicotine/

Mind you we are forever being told that there are 2000 noxious substances in tobacco smoke, so why nicotione should be the key ingredient isn't clear. If it is I'm not going to start smoking again but this vaping thing might be worth looking at.
    Why "carry," when the droplets are airborne in their own right? In fact smoking could be beneficial to others if the smoke disperses in the same way as the droplets, because it acts as a marker while non-smokers create exactly the samr danger, only invisibly.
    I'm sitting on my patio nonchalantly, or I'm helping Mum with the gardening and the neighbours' smoke wafts over the garden fence. What then? The neighbours might be physically over 2 metres away (on their own property, natch), but the smoke doesn't obey that rule, does it?
    I do feel your pain. The smoke doesn't obey the two metre rule *but neither does the virus, which spreads independently of the smoke.* I don't know whether droplets behave differently from smoke particles, but the default assumption is that they do, roughly, being small and light and airborne. Here

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-3d-model-reveals-how-covid-19-can-spread-in-supermarket-11971373

is a graphic of how droplets spread. It is therefore very possible that your neighbours endanger you by simply breathing just as much as by smoking.
    Smoke particles are typically much smaller than the water droplets people exhale or produce when talking or coughing.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Good writers borrow, great writers steal. I'm the first person to ever say that.
    It is a funny line, no harm in sharing a good joke
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

You say that, but Rentoul has been variously described as Dracula and Nosferatu by his detractors.
  • Options
    And back on to "end lockdown, end lockdown, end lockdown"....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,416
    IanB2 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes, postal voting is the way to go.

The envelopes can be made self-sealing, so no saliva need be involved, and you could potentially work something out with the royal mail for the collection of votes for those shielding, or with local party members - though your choice of which party you trust to collect your vote may give a clue to the way in which you chose to vote. Relatively easy to leave the votes for however long it takes for the virus to die before counting them.
    Local activists handling postal votes like that is already very close to an offence, since it raises the clear possibility of several, and is strongly discouraged.
    I can see why that would have been the case, pre-Covid, when it would be easy for people to post their votes themselves, or for pretty much anyone to do it on their behalf, so the involvement of a local activist raises suspicion, but I would have thought that in a virus-hit world, where there is much more reason for large numbers of people to be discouraged from going to a postbox, that it would make it less likely that someone handling postal votes in such a way was doing so nefariously.
  • Options

Apple da best.
    Waze is by far and away the best app. Its not even close.
  • Options
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Smoke particles are typically much smaller than the water droplets people exhale or produce when talking or coughing.
    Does that mean they disperse further? And can they latch on to droplets and increase the droplet's range, as Sunil fears?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    The phased relaxation of lockdown is starting in earnest in Spain. The Andalucian leader proposing May 11th for small shops and businesses and May 25th for bars and restaurants. After a phone conversation with the Spanish PM so I suspect it's a goer. Almost certainly in Almeria and Huelva the 2 provinces on the east and west of the region and both with very low incidence of CV-19. Most of us content if somewhat nervous.
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

Where can I get a pack of Navy Cut or Senior Service - if we're gonna do it we gotta go strong!
    Yes they are Class A. Pure poison. The mark of a man.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited April 2020

And back on to "end lockdown, end lockdown, end lockdown"....

"Schools" is the "toilet roll" of the media class. It'd be funny if it wasn't so dangerous.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does that mean they disperse further? And can they latch on to droplets and increase the droplet's range, as Sunil fears?
    It means that can be carried further passively in the air. But larger particles and droplets tend to settle under gravity, so if a smoke particle combined with a larger droplet they would just settle together.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,890

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

EU Ref = 3.8%

Let's hope Her Maj hangs on for a bit yet, the bequest to the Better Together parties could be massive.
    Wouldn't it be in a trust already?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

Gotta be Capstan Full Strength (but Boyards acceptable across the Channel).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

So we started with a shortage toilet rolls, then eggs and next fags?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Whilst I agree that more care should be taken, what percentage of infected care homes do you think have been infected in this way?
    Indeed. What steps were care homes taking in early March to protect their residents? They must all have an infectious disease protocol... don't they? After all a bad flu year comes round every few years. Or is the tacit assumption that elderly care is just a form of palliative care for the not *yet* dying
  • Options

ydoethur said:

isam said:

You say that, but Rentoul has been variously described as Dracula and Nosferatu by his detractors.
    Dracula ate bat burgers?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

Hmm I'm not convinced to rush out and buy a nicotine patch just yet with the rather poor side effects it has. Definitely one for more research though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited April 2020
    O/T - We've discussed models with pretty wide error bars and ranges in general, not quite the same but Vodafone are quite impressive with their coverage map.

I decided to check out the places I normally frequent and this is the result.

Bit of a lottery if my speed could be between 3.8 Mbps and 60 Mbps.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yeah, saying that so shortly after the 787MAX debacle isn't as great an argument as it once was.

Also there is still a staring amount of human reconciliation in large scale money transfer.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Was bored so ran the daily ICL model updates - estimate is currently 20k daily infections. That compares to 250k (!!!) pre lockdown, and about 85k just after.

If 0.5% IFR, that means down to 100 deaths/day in 2.5(?) weeks.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Yesterday's complete numbers still not released?

No tweet from DHSC.

Gov.uk website not updated.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-cases-and-deaths
  • Options
    Looks like the barbers and tatooists are still open there at any rate.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MikeL said:

No tweet from DHSC.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-cases-and-deaths

They announced them at the start of the press conference. 29,xxx tests.

There is bugger all sign they are going to get even remotely close to 100,000. The media are going to roast Hancock in the way your average Tory does to those babies.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

Even in my heyday I could barely finish a packet of those. A kick like a mule and bits of tobacco stuck between your teeth for good measure. Impressed the girls though. Well the sort you wanted to impress anyway. All different now of course. And rightly so.
  • Options
    It’s a sign he thinks the current strategy is taking the piss?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,395

'The great unwashed'

Nah, the "great unwashed" is merely a reference by TSE (PBUH) to those who do NOT live near... The Wash.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

Even in my heyday I could barely finish a packet of those. A kick like a mule and bits of tobacco stuck between your teeth for good measure. Impressed the girls though. Well the sort you wanted to impress anyway. All different now of course. And rightly so.
    I’m only aware of them because of the song ‘Saturdays Kids’ by The Jam, which brings to my mind... Leave voters!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

Hmm I'm not convinced to rush out and buy a nicotine patch just yet with the rather poor side effects it has. Definitely one for more research though.
    No. You do NOT want to get hooked on nicotine. It's not especially harmful but it's highly addictive and expensive too. You can end up a slave to it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,204
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,286
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

It means that can be carried further passively in the air. But larger particles and droplets tend to settle under gravity, so if a smoke particle combined with a larger droplet they would just settle together.
    There was some Italian research published the other day that showed that the virus can travel much further when particulate pollution is in the air. The droplet combines with the particle making less dense so it goes much further. Perhaps the same can happen with cigarette smoke?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yeah, saying that so shortly after the 787MAX debacle isn't as great an argument as it once was.

Also there is still a staring amount of human reconciliation in large scale money transfer.
    Yes I can appreciate that we are quite a way off online being safe enough for voting.

But when it is I don't see why we wouldn't use it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    I'm in my safe space because of that.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Does seem odd.

I’m only aware of them because of the song ‘Saturdays Kids’ by The Jam, which brings to my mind... Leave voters!
    And so it should. Capstan are the No Deal Brexit of cigarettes. They feel good but fuck you up something terrible.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

There was some Italian research published the other day that showed that the virus can travel much further when particulate pollution is in the air. The droplet combines with the particle making less dense so it goes much further. Perhaps the same can happen with cigarette smoke?
    I've just had a look at a report of that. It seems they are suggesting that sub-micron water droplets carrying the virus could combine with larger, lighter particles, up to 10 microns in size, to travel further.

From what I've seen the sub-micron droplets are only a very small fraction of what's produced by humans, so it's a bit difficult to believe it's a major route of transmission. And I don't think it would work anyway for cigarette smoke, whose particles are heavier than water.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

MikeL said:

No tweet from DHSC.

There is bugger all sign they are going to get even remotely close to 100,000. The media are going to roast Hancock in the way your average Tory does to those babies.
    Thanks - numbers now updated!

Tests 29,058

People tested 25,577

Positive 4,463

That means % positive = 17.4% which I think is probably the lowest so far by quite a wide margin.

All data today very encouraging - in particular this and number in hospital.

Pretty clear going strongly in right direction.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

O/T - We've discussed models with pretty wide error bars and ranges in general, not quite the same but Vodafone are quite impressive with their coverage map.

I decided to check out the places I normally frequent and this is the result.

Bit of a lottery if my speed could be between 3.8 Mbps and 60 Mbps.

Inside / outside will have a significant impact as will the building material used when the building was built.

The example I always used was John Lewis on Oxford Street which is almost a Faraday Cage for mobile signals.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No tweet from DHSC.

Tests 29,058

People tested 25,577

Positive 4,463

That means % positive = 17.4% which I think is probably the lowest so far by quite a wide margin.

I'd argue that the positive percentage is meaningless, especially as they now want everyone and their mother to get a test, regardless of whether it is useful in a clinical sense.
  • Options
    Encouragingly fewer deaths announced today for the UK (413 compared with 813 yesterday), but what will we see tomorrow and Tuesday with the now customary lag from the weekend's figures?
  • Options
    Chris said:

kamski said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

I've just had a look at a report of that. It seems they are suggesting that sub-micron water droplets carrying the virus could combine with larger, lighter particles, up to 10 microns in size, to travel further.

From what I've seen the sub-micron droplets are only a very small fraction of what's produced by humans, so it's a bit difficult to believe it's a major route of transmission. And I don't think it would work anyway for cigarette smoke, whose particles are heavier than water.
    It would not be well received by the rest of the population if it turned out that smokers were both protected from the virus AND instrumental in spreading it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,204
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No tweet from DHSC.

Tests 29,058

People tested 25,577

Positive 4,463

I'd argue that the positive percentage is meaningless, especially as they now want everyone and their mother to get a test, regardless of whether it is useful in a clinical sense.
    Insofar as it appears that they have to test more people to find the same number of cases I think it has some value - more than the raw number anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No tweet from DHSC.

Tests 29,058

People tested 25,577

Positive 4,463

Fair(ish!) point - remember you do have to have symptoms to get a test.

So yes, you would expect % to come down as more people are tested but it's still encouraging it's coming down as much as it is.
  • Options

Encouragingly fewer deaths announced today for the UK (413 compared with 813 yesterday), but what will we see tomorrow and Tuesday with the now customary lag from the weekend's figures?

Tomorrow's report will be Sunday's numbers which should be similar to today - last week Sunday was lower than Saturday.

David Paton's spreadsheet now shows very clear, consistent downward trend.

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1254407147238182913/photo/1
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

No tweet from DHSC.

Tests 29,058

People tested 25,577

Positive 4,463

Fair(ish!) point - remember you do have to have symptoms to get a test.

So yes, you would expect % to come down as more people are tested but it's still encouraging it's coming down as much as it is.
    Perhaps surprisingly, the % positives of those tested because they are admitted to hospital (Pillar I) is 18.6% today and Pillar II (essential workers) was 16.0%, so quite similar. The Pillar I numbers were dominating the data until recently so even given the increased testing of essential workers, the % does still seem to be decreasing like-for-like.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,515
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

So really, Sunil's neighbours are doing him a favour, making their breathing avoidable by giving it an odour and form. It's actually Sunil who is putting his neighbours in danger by NOT smoking. Selfish and anti-social - are we still handing out ASBOs?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/26/world-cup-questions-were-england-robbed-by-argentina-at-mexico-86

World Cup questions: Were England robbed by Argentina at Mexico 86?

I was shocked to discover that the author thought that Argentina were the better team so it doesn’t matter what that ******* ******** ********* got away with.

Now, you won’t hear me arguing in favour of the prehistoric approach to the game in England around the time, but it still angers me that superior footballers like Maradona and Koeman got away with blatant cheating.

Unfortunately there is an element of the footballing press who think England deserve to be cheated. Compare how the same paper reacted to another handball against a more deserving nation:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/nov/21/thierry-henry-handball-france-ireland

At least Maradona had the decency to score one of the World Cup's greatest goals once he had fisted Argentina into the lead against Bobby Robson's England in the 1986 quarter-finals, dribbling half the length of the pitch, past player after player, to find the net then repeating the feat in miniature against Belgium in the semi-finals.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

So really, Sunil's neighbours are doing him a favour, making their breathing avoidable by giving it an odour and form. It's actually Sunil who is putting his neighbours in danger by NOT smoking. Selfish and anti-social - are we still handing out ASBOs?
    Correct. And if I understand previous responses coorectly, when a smoke particle meets a droplet it wrestles it out of the way.
  • Options
    When you're so phwoaarr you have to lock yourself in a basement for self protection.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1254425221974589440?s=20
  • Options

When you're so phwoaarr you have to lock yourself in a basement for self protection.

Brainforce makes you a hit with the ladies.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,286
    Chris said:

kamski said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Maybe a stupid questions, but is it possible they were looking at submicron droplets because they are the ones that might anyway spread the virus RNA furthest?

And why are cigarette smoke particles denser than water but other particulate pollution particles less dense?
  • Options
    Great thread TSE. Knocking on doors with the land army that winning campaigns are built on won't be a feature of next year's on time / delayed elections. Which forces party hacks to find new ways of reaching punters, and once they crack that the need to go door to door won't be something that will be voluntarily brought back. The solution will indeed be digital.

And the count? I do hope they retain some of its theatre - there is something truly special about the process we have now, however manual and outdated it may be. I can see how a digital platform could work - a website and an app, with a government tax break to get even the oldest / refusiest a device to participate on.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,296

Brainforce makes you a hit with the ladies.
    What's his view on bleach?
  • Options
    As for the lockdown, let's start on a plan. For our kids. That schools will have a phased reopening though May so that at the very least the year 6 / 10 / 12 kids get back for the critical weeks they need. We also need urgently to get vulnerable kids back into school where they are supposed to be. God alone knows what they are having to endure at home
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes I can appreciate that we are quite a way off online being safe enough for voting.

But when it is I don't see why we wouldn't use it.
    It will not be safe enough.
This discussion has been closed.