Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is it all about leader ratings and the economic lead?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is it all about leader ratings and the economic lead?

Atul Hatwal at Labour-Uncut posted a piece yesterday about Labour’s polling, he had one observation, which stood out, and I decided to investigate if it were true, his observation was this,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Just watched a disturbing film called "Compliance" on Film4, basically a prank-call version of the Millgram experiment. Based on real and apparently frequent events, even more disturbingly.
  • Options
    Obligatory guide to electoral precedent:
    http://xkcd.com/1122/

The striking thing about that table is that apart from this rather contrived thing about whether you lead in two things or not (and some of the leads the theory is based on are MoE), there seems to be exactly zero correlation between those ratings and whether they win or not. Overall it's six pluses to six minuses.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, forget that last point, I need to go back to bed.

Redoing the table for the election winner to make it easier for my cold-addled brain to tell what's going on:
    Year Economy Leader ... Economy Leader
    1992 +4 -47 ... +5 +11
    1997 +9 +61 ... -7 +49
    2001 +18 +52 ... +26 +29
    2005 +11 -2 ... +26 -15
    2010 +1 +21 ... +3 +27
  • Options
    What strikes me about those tables is that the two ratings always get worse for Labour opposition leaders as the election approaches and the reverse is true for Tories.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    The polls are a bit zig zaggy at the moment. A bit of time is needed for the Autumn statement to bed down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    If Ed Miliband gets the same % as Michael Howard (32.4%), and Cameron the same as Blair in 2005 - Assuming the Lib Dems get 16% and 37 seats the only viable Gov't in terms of seats is Lib-Lab coalition or Lab- Minority.

Labour's FPTP position is just so very strong this time.
  • Options

What strikes me about those tables is that the two ratings always get worse for Labour opposition leaders as the election approaches and the reverse is true for Tories.

Let me see if I can do this right - ratings and changes for Labour:

1992 -4 +47 ... -5 -11 -> -1 -58 (*)
    1997 +9 +61 ... -7 +49 -> -16 -12
    2001 +18 +52 ... +26 +29 -> +8 -23
    2005 +11 -2 ... +26 -15 -> +15 -13 (*)
    2010 -1 -21 ... -3 -27 -> -2 -6

...which is a downward trend, but it's not uniform, and part of it is the Tories knifing under-performing leaders.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    As a general rule of thumb if you want to get Labour's national vote share from a Welsh poll, subtract 7%. For the Tories add 10%.

So a 46% Labour share would be about 39% UK wide and 21% for the Tories would be about 31%. The Lib Dems are 12% down equating to 60% of their Welsh GE vote gone. That sounds plausible.
  • Options
    Do you think all these different permutations showing how Labour cannot win is more to do with the fact the opinions polls haven't moved for months, within moe, and it gives people something to talk about. Top and bottom off it is, if Labour are between 37% and 40% at the next election, which if memory serves me right on average, they have been for the last three years, there cannot be a Tory government.
  • Options

Do you think all these different permutations showing how Labour cannot win is more to do with the fact the opinions polls haven't moved for months, within moe, and it gives people something to talk about. Top and bottom off it is, if Labour are between 37% and 40% at the next election, which if memory serves me right on average, they have been for the last three years, there cannot be a Tory government.

The above numbers are cold comfort for EdM , he's underperforming IDS as an opposition leader on these two vital criteria and things tend to get worse for Labour as the GE nears.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited December 2013
    "Tony Blair showed in 1997, on the eve of the election, you can still trail on the economic question, but you can still win the General Election if you have a substantial lead on the leader ratings, the other caveat I’d add is this is a small sample size, but the findings are interesting."

Its interesting that while the point has been made in the past of Labour trailing on the economic question despite going onto win that spectacular victory in 1997 with regard the current political landscape on PB. That both the fact that the Conservatives had been in Office for four terms as well as Blair having such a far more substantial leadership lead as Leader of the Opposition over the PM really should really have been included as caveats when it came to comparing the economic question polling then and now.

We suffered a recession and Black Monday in the early 90's, and the Conservatives as the party in power for so long were quite rightly blamed for this. That meant that they struggled to then benefit from making the right economic decisions that set us on the road to a recovery, thus giving the fresh New Labour party a golden economic inheritance. I can believe the electorate can clinically punish a Government even after they cleared up their own mess, especially if they look tired, dysfunctional and are ripping themselves apart.

But I find it far less plausible that the electorate will punish a 'new' Coalition Government who have forged a political pact in uncharted territory, and then stuck to it far more cohesively as they cleared up the last Labour Government's economic mess by making the tough and unpopular decisions necessary, even as we all lambaste them for doing so as a result. And then only to just hand the reins back to the Labour party to make the same promises and mistakes all over again, with only a swift pat on the head and trusting nod not to do it again just as this Government has effectively been proved to be right on the main issue of the economy and has delivered on it despite Labour's constant heckling and criticism. I don't think the Labour party has done anywhere enough to see that being the result at the next GE, as both the economic/leadership polling points out.

Well done to Atul Hatwal of Labour-Uncut for unearthing this polling info and pointing it out, unbelievable that this talented journalist has not been snapped up by one of the nationals or even the Labour Party! He was extremely impressive on the Daily Politics recently, and his coverage of the Falkirk/Labour/Unite saga has been an excellent example of good old fashioned political journalism of the highest standard. Real shades of Benedict Brogan's insightful coverage of the latter years of Brown Premiership coming through in his thoughtful observations.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) Yesterday I went to watch the long-awaited film "Kill Your Darlings" starring Daniel Radcliffe as Allen Ginsberg. I had to go into London to see it because it isn't on in the normal cinemas in Croydon.

Someone told me that it isn't distributed widely "because it's an independent production".

But it occurs to me that I don't know what that means. What is the difference between "independent" and "one of the big main ones"? And why would that be a reason for it not to be widely shown. I was expecting it to be really big and huge purely because Daniel Radcliffe in it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour lead continues to be about half of what it was this time last year.
  • Options
    In the previous thread, someone pointed out that the BBC described Nelson Mandela as the most "significant" leader of the 20th century, in contrast to others such as Churchill or Hitler or Stalin etc..

Yesterday I signed the condolence book at the South African High Commission. The queue was 14 minutes, and there were 5 books for people to sign.

When Princess Diana died, there were 41 books of condolence and the queues were up to 15 hours at times.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JohnLoony
    "When Princess Diana died....."

What were the queues like in Pretoria?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JohnLoony
    "When Princess Diana died....."

What were the queues like in Pretoria?

Huge. Massive. There were 29,000 books of condolence for Princess Diana at the British High Commission in Pretoria, and people were queueing up for literally seven months to have a chance to sign them.
  • Options

The above numbers are cold comfort for EdM , he's underperforming IDS as an opposition leader on these two vital criteria and things tend to get worse for Labour as the GE nears.

In a years time I will be saying the same thing.....and you will be saying the same thing, however, we will be twelve months nearer the election.
  • Options
    Matt, brilliant as usual
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

In the previous thread, someone pointed out that the BBC described Nelson Mandela as the most "significant" leader of the 20th century, in contrast to others such as Churchill or Hitler or Stalin etc..

Yesterday I signed the condolence book at the South African High Commission. The queue was 14 minutes, and there were 5 books for people to sign.

When Princess Diana died, there were 41 books of condolence and the queues were up to 15 hours at times.

Disappointing IMO but not surprising.
  • Options
    Interesting fact:

The average English constituency probably now has a population of more than 100,000. There are 533 constituencies and the population was 53.0 million in 2011.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

Disappointing IMO but not surprising.
    In some ways quite understandable (much as Lady Di was promoted well above her ability level).

If someone lives to be 95, then maybe its not so surprising that they finally pop off. (of course 20 odd of those years were in prison). Not so much need for condolences, more for celebration of a life well lived?

whereas if the cia/mossad/black panthers/countryside alliance etc. had not intervened Diana had a good few years left to live?

• Options
    (not sure where the current state of conspiracy theory lies. perhaps should try reading the express)
  • Options

(not sure where the current state of conspiracy theory lies. perhaps should try reading the express)

Does anyone know when the Express/Mail coldest Winter in living memory (again) is supposed to start? I haven't even turned the central heating on yet.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Labour share of the votes remain stubbornly high.
  • Options
    For those interested in survey methodology, the effect of question formulation and /or Welsh voting intention, Anthony Wells has an interesting article over at UK Polling Report:

Old wording (no explanation)- CON 18%, LAB 39%, LDEM 4%, PC 21%, UKIP 9%
    Current wording (“second vote”) – CON 16%, LAB 19%, LDEM 8%, PC 24%, UKIP 20%
    New wording (“regional vote”) – CON 18%, LAB 35%, LDEM 5%, PC 21%, UKIP 14%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8524
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    BBC 1, BBC 2 and BBC NEWS24 all covering Mandela funeral at the same time. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited December 2013
    Good article, but I think the real point about the polling is that if you take all the numbers in the round there is no winner - apart from maybe the government as they are incumbents. Things can change a lot over the next 16 months but at the moment it looks like either the Tories or Labour will scrape over the line with a plurality of seats. The problem for Labour is they are in opposition; they can't do anything and their only weapon is words but not many people believe them. For all their horrendous polling it looks like the Lib Dems are most certain of being in government after 2015.

Labour types are confident because they have a small lead in the voting intention, but this is entirely based on Lib Dems who currently don't like the Lib Dem party and who may very well change their minds when the election comes round. Labour have taken almost no votes from people who voted Conservative in 2010, and the Conservatives are doing surprisingly well with keeping a coalition together under the circumstances (notwithstanding local elections where even more people vote against the government than in opinion polls). There is no winner here - for a first term government the Tories are doing slightly worse than they should; Labour are doing slightly better than you'd expect for an opposition coming out of a long period of government.

Labour also lead on a variety of questions on strong topics like health and education, but not on Tory plus points like immigration and crime. Again there is no real winner.

And when we get to the economy and leaders there is also uncertainty - Labour lead on the cost of living but the Tories lead on the macro economy; Cameron isn't liked very much but the voters dislike Miliband even more; Osborne is disliked a lot more than both but Balls doesn't look like a worthy replacement, etc, etc
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    If we get the Ipsos Mori poll today the Labour lead is likely to be down to 4, if not lower.
  • Options

Sorry, forget that last point, I need to go back to bed.

Redoing the table for the election winner to make it easier for my cold-addled brain to tell what's going on:
    1992 +4 -47 ... +5 +11
    1997 +9 +61 ... -7 +49
    2001 +18 +52 ... +26 +29
    2005 +11 -2 ... +26 -15
    2010 +1 +21 ... +3 +27

Absolutely not. The figures in fact provide a very good guide, providing that you're prepared to interpret them correctly.

Firstly, the plus/minus issue is as much a distraction here as in the GDP figures. The difference between -60 and -5 is very significant; that between -2 and +3, far less so. Adding up plusses and minuses leads us down a false path.

The correct way to interpret them is to combine the two figures and then use that as a dynamic factor set against the last general election result. So:

1992: Opp (Lab) +43, +16; result - Opp makes good gains reducing govt maj to barely workable.
    1997: Opp (Lab) +70, +42; result - Opp makes vast gains, winning a landslide victory
    2001: Gov (Lab) +70, +55; result - almost exactly the same as 1997
    2005: Gov (Lab) +9, +11; result - Opp makes good gains reducing govt maj significantly
    2010: Opp (Con) +22, +30; result - Opp makes substantial gains, but without winning an overall majority.

Interestingly, the figures from 17 months in advance generally seem to be a better guide than those within a month or two (though as always, events, dear boy). Perhaps they cut through the chaff of electioneering better. Whatever, what we see is that the bigger the lead, the bigger the relative win.

What does this mean for 2015? Apart from the complicating factor of coalition, the Gov +20 figure would point to modest Labour gains (it's 10 points better than the comparative figure for 2010), but with Con still ahead in votes and possibly seats. Clegg king-maker again.

That said, we shouldn't invest too much in any one predictive model and caveat emptor etc etc
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @david_herdson wrote :

"What does this mean for 2015? Apart from the complicating factor of coalition, the Gov +20 figure would point to modest Labour gains (it's 10 points better than the comparative figure for 2010), but with Con still ahead in votes and possibly seats. Clegg king-maker again."

Another ringing endorsement for my ARSE.

Latest projection - Con 301 .. LibDem 39 .. Lab 276 .. Coalition Maj 30
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    "If Scots were convinced the country would be better off independent, the result would be – 41% for ‘Yes’& 44% for ‘No’.

I find that really encouraging. Probably the best polling result for the no campaign for a while. It certainly reflects my opinion. The UK is worth a lot more to me as a concept as is the self identification of "British" than a few quid additional income. If even a small majority feel that way then Yes has a real problem.

When you add in that the SNP are having enormous difficulty in producing a credible economic plan vis a vis the currency, pensions, lender of last resort, interest rates etc they have a lot of work to do. Hopefully too much.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Tim posting like a headless chicken this morning - you can smell the fear:))
  • Options
    This is what I wanted to see checked - thanks TSE.

So at the very least you have to go back over 25 years for the theory to not work - per tim.

Even then and concentrating on the thrust of the Uncut piece which is at election time (not really 17m out as I read that article), is tim right to say it doesn't hold up in the years for 1979 or 1987 and what abour 1983 too if we are having to go so far back?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

" No opposition has ever won an election while being behind on both economic competence and leadership. "

I assume 1979 has been deliberately ignored because it breaks the rule
    As does 1987

It's really not that difficult to check these things

"As we can see, it is fair to say Atul Hatwal’s observation is accurate. "

Not if you bother to check, you can see its nonsense

Er you are proving the opposite - for over a quarter of a century (minimum) it's seemingly 100% right!
  • Options
    So, yet more evidence that the Tories *should* win the next election at a relative canter. Obviously, it will all be someone else's fault if they don't.

Of course, a five-year coalition government is entirely unprecedented in post-war British history, so looking at very selective polling data - much of it from a time when methodologies were less than watertight - may not really tell us very much at all.

History repeats itself until it doesn't.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    The fact that there are two parties in the coalition should exaggerate metrics like financial competence in such a way that won't help electorially.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

" No opposition has ever won an election while being behind on both economic competence and leadership. "

As does 1987

Er you are proving the opposite - for over a quarter of a century (minimum) it's seemingly 100% right!
    There's only been two changes of govt in that time.
    And Cameron failed to win a majority when ahead on both parameters, so didn't "win" as Heath and Thatcher did.

So Labour Uncut's piece is fair enough but we can look forward to you writing a piece saying on the same info, if Labour are behind on both leadership and economic competence too then that is irrelevant to whether an opposition wins or not.
  • Options
    felix said:

Tim posting like a headless chicken this morning - you can smell the fear:))

I think we should strike a more seasonal note - Turkey

"tim" is in the final moments of preparation for the oven. Headless certainly and completely plucked (careful there with the keyboard).

JohnO is ready to stuff him as he traditionally does. A family recipe of hoary old chestnuts and pork barrel meat.

Herders has completed a medley of vegetables or as we know call them the shadow cabinet and JackW has rounded off the festive meal with a tart cranberry jelly as he knows a great deal about tar..

A cracker then .... shall we pull a cracker .... Oh but I did with Mrs JackW decades ago !!

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Something for the education denialists out there:

'Bad loser' accusation on doubters of Pisa school tests

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25318651
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited December 2013
    I don't think "dislike" and "don't like" are the same thing. I don't "like" Ed Milliband; doesn't come across (to me anyway) as a leader with either charisma or vision. I dislike Cameron; comes across (again to me anyway) as elitist and snobbish. I think he's got a vision for the country, but it's one I really don't like!
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

As does 1987

And Cameron failed to win a majority when ahead on both parameters, so didn't "win" as Heath and Thatcher did.

No, but he did make over 90 gains, which is far more than Thatcher did in 1979. As I said early, looking at the binary question of who is ahead is simplistic. Far more relevant is the scalar question of by how much they are ahead and how that compares with by how much they were ahead last time. Eeking out a single-figures lead on one question will be of little use if you're being pounded on the other.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

As does 1987

So Labour Uncut's piece is fair enough but we can look forward to you writing a piece saying on the same info, if Labour are behind on both leadership and economic competence too then that is irrelevant to whether an opposition wins or not.
    "No opposition has ever won an election while being behind on both economic competence and leadership. "

No opposition has ever won an election while being ahead on both economic competence and leadership. "

Sorted
    So as a predictor of outcomes, you say as there's no proven correlation we discount those 2 seemingly important issues... well that was worth knowing.

Time to look for others then..... any suggestions?

I'd thought the MORI leader scores were one of the key stats you posted on here.
  • Options
    One other quick comment. We need to be very careful about looking back to the past through the prism of its own future.

Put another way, we know now that these figures were 17 months before their relevant elections but the public and politicians of the day didn't. They only became 17 months before once the election had happened. That should be less of an issue this time now that fixed-term parliaments are in place but of course the fact that there are two parties in government complicates matters in another direction.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The fact that there are two parties in the coalition should exaggerate metrics like financial competence in such a way that won't help electorially.

Indeed. We are in unprecedented times for reading the runes from polls. No-one knows what any polling currently means because there is nothing similar to compare it against. We have a Coalition and a 4th party consistently achieving 10% plus; while Labour has had a sustained and remarkably consistent vote share since almost immediately after losing in 2010.

• Options

So, yet more evidence that the Tories *should* win the next election at a relative canter. Obviously, it will all be someone else's fault if they don't.

Of course, a five-year coalition government is entirely unprecedented in post-war British history, so looking at very selective polling data - much of it from a time when methodologies were less than watertight - may not really tell us very much at all.

Yes, this is all true - but what else have we got to go on, but the evidence of past elections? Gut feeling? Chicken entrails?

If you take the election-day poll scores, add them together for each leader, and use it to rank the leaders it puts them in the following order:
    Blair
    Cameron
    Howard
    Kinnock
    Hague
    You could quibble that Howard and Kinnock should swap places in that list, but otherwise the ranks match the respective election outcomes closely. Where does Miliband lie today? Between Kinnock and Hague. On the face of it, he has a lot of work to do to improve that.
  • Options
    Speaking of Mrs JackW she recently bought a pair of fur shoes - not leopard or cheetah but far more modest hamster.

The only problem was she wore them to the fair and it took me five hours to get her off the ferris wheel !!

Arf arf ....
  • Options
    Does UKIP splitting the right not somewhat queer the pitch for such historical comparatives?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Patrick said:

Does UKIP splitting the right not somewhat queer the pitch for such historical comparatives?

UKIP stands alone and doesn't split anything.

It\d bloody foggy in London and I'm going back to bed!*

• Options
    Patrick said:

Farage seemed to be claiming that a lot of his supporters are previous NOTAs

• Options
    Patrick said:

Yup, as does Clegg unsplitting the left. This may already be priced into the economic and leadership ratings to some extent, though. For example, having a right-wing alternative to Cameron probably serves to reduce Cameron's ratings.
  • Options
    MikeK

Hmm...I think UKIP and the fact we have a coalition puts us in new territory. The LibDems have lost a fair chunk of their vote permamently to Labour. So the crappiness of Ed is rendered a bit irrelevant by the effective unsplitting of the left (Labour have a steady vote share at a level which would give them a majority). And UKIP are eating into Dave's traditional core vote. Under FPTP and old boundaries he needs every single vote quite desperately and the UKIP bleeding of his vote will have a disproportionate effect on the outcome.

So...I stick to my view that in the old world the data OGH shows above is a solid predictor - but not any more.
  • Options
    Yesterday must have been seen to be a good day to bury bad news.

Gove managing to overspend the free school budget by three, £450 million to £1.5 billion. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25304382

While IDS continues to argue that he is right and everyone else is wrong. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25320269
  • Options
    Jonathan's point below is a good one. The current LD plus Tory vote makes it much more likely that the government team will enjoy a lead on the economy. But at the GE you can't vote LD and Tory. It's one or the other. If the AV referendum had gone the other way, it's hard to see how Labour could possibly have prevailed in 2015. The Tories really have been incredibly helpful to The Eds over the last three years.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Patrick said:

His claim is true, and some are ex-Lab, which cancels out some of the ex-Cons. But there are still enough Con->UKIP switchers to screw things up for Cameron, and even if he gets most of them back it'll be at the cost of losing votes he could otherwise have got in the centre.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Yesterday must have been seen to be a good day to bury bad news.

Gove managing to overspend the free school budget by three, £450 million to £1.5 billion. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25304382

While IDS continues to argue that he is right and everyone else is wrong. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25320269

IDS is not wrong when he says that previous governments have got a lamentable track record when it comes to major computer systems (NHS IT, anyone - £10 billion lost and counting).

Whether his claims yesterday, that they were going through things slowly in order to get them right and prevent too much wide disruption for the public (again, as has happened passim) matches what he was saying a couple of years ago is another matter.

At times it sounded as though some Labour MPs were complaining that he had not lost enough on the project, or caused enough disruption ...
  • Options

Patrick said:

His claim is true, and some are ex-Lab, which cancels out some of the ex-Cons. But there are still enough Con->UKIP switchers to screw things up for Cameron, and even if he gets most of them back it'll be at the cost of losing votes he could otherwise have got in the centre.

It remains to be seen how many previous non-voters bother voting in 2015. Taking one election off might be discountable, but serially not voting might indicate a likelihood that you'll never get round to it. For UKIP to come close to its current high scores the overall turnout in 2015 is surely going to have to be a lot higher than it has been in the last few GEs.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @tim - Thought I'd brighten what is turning (already) not to be your happiest day by alerting you today's You Gov poll and that ghastly, fake-fop-loathing gender gap.

But, feral minx, you've already had a peek preview, haven't you? Don't try and deceive Uncle John.

I don't smirk. That's not me. I care.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

That's right. In other contexts we shrug off samples of 6 taken in different circumstances, but in the absence of better evidence we try to establish patterns in the shifting sands of recent elections. Clearly Labour would be better off if we were 20 points ahead in all ratings, but we seem to be quite stable in a winning position despite being behind on the subsidiaries.

Cameron is reported to have said that the Conservatives can't win unless they get UKIP down to 5%. That may be the best summary of the position.

The article doesn't quote yesterday's Welsh poll, but that's in the same pattern as the national polls - interestingly, the regional government's performance (whether we think it's great or rotten or, like me, haven't been paying attention) seems to have no effect whatever. I suspect that most people don't reallty follow its activities very closely, even in Wales.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Patrick said:

It remains to be seen how many previous non-voters bother voting in 2015. Taking one election off might be discountable, but serially not voting might indicate a likelihood that you'll never get round to it. For UKIP to come close to its current high scores the overall turnout in 2015 is surely going to have to be a lot higher than it has been in the last few GEs.

This is true, but against that they have very high-turnout demographics. I think it'll be quite patchy, depending on where they happen to have effective GOTV, and maybe some surprisingly high scores in weird places where Con or Lab parties that had got used to their local monopolies won't know what hit them.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Guido v Patten looking like fun today. ..
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall.
    It's the time that every Santa has a ball.
    Does he ride a red nosed reindeer.
    Does a ton-up on his sleigh.
    Do the fairies keep him sober for a day.

Over £500,000 in royalties this year.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/10/mariah-carey-will-earn-455000-for-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you-this-year-4225220/

Noddy Holder and Jim Lea found a way to fund their old age.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Labour seems to have lost a booster rocket, not soaring away as fast as it should...running out of fuel perhaps...Has anyone noticed the PM is getting rather thin on top.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    tim said:

JohnO said:

@tim - Thought I'd brighten what is turning (already) not to be your happiest day by alerting you today's You Gov poll and that ghastly, fake-fop-loathing gender gap.

But, feral minx, you've already had a peek preview, haven't you? Don't try and deceive Uncle John.

You were predicting imminent crossover in October, what happened?
    I won a little extra cash for a charity from you in November, that's what happened.
  • Options
    Nice to see some very busy world leaders having a little relax time yesterday..what Memorials should be about..
  • Options
    tim said:

No Tory will be surprised that IDS ran the benefit flagship into a wall
    But what's happened to Gove and Hammond, is every minister determined to have an Omnishambles before the election

All credit to Maria Miller for arranging the first gay marriage for Tebbits birthday, sadly not noticed while Dave was busy making an arse of himself

If £40 million lost is an omnishambles, then what is £10 billion on the NHS IT project?

A megashambles? A LabShambles? A Timmageddon?
  • Options

Patrick said:

This is true, but against that they have very high-turnout demographics. I think it'll be quite patchy, depending on where they happen to have effective GOTV, and maybe some surprisingly high scores in weird places where Con or Lab parties that had got used to their local monopolies won't know what hit them.
    If one is NOTA because "there's no-one who thinks like me", then it's almost an actual vote. If someone comes along to whom one can relate, then that deliberate non-participation will turn into a vote.
    Is there any evidence that electoral rolls have increased where UKIP is strong?

• Options
    @tim

All credit to Maria Miller for arranging the first gay marriage for Tebbits birthday, sadly not noticed while Dave was busy making an arse of himself.

So who've you got in mind tim?
    Don't say it's JackW's ARSE.
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

You were predicting imminent crossover in October, what happened?
    I won a little extra cash for a charity from you in November, that's what happened.
    This crossover date is beginning to resemble the buffoon IDS' flagship rollout timetable
    tim - have you not found the phantom crossover merchant yet ?

this j'accuse scattergun approach is a bit silly.
  • Options
    The last memorial service I attended , the Bishop who was conducting the service, gave the last speech and then announced "The bar is now open" at which point a large red curtain was whisked back to reveal a fully fitted out pub bar with staff,. provided by the deceased. A good time was had by all
  • Options
    Shortly it'll be :

9:10 am 11:12:13 ....

The end is nigh .... well at least until it happens again in 90 years time !!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

tim said:

But what's happened to Gove and Hammond, is every minister determined to have an Omnishambles before the election

All credit to Maria Miller for arranging the first gay marriage for Tebbits birthday, sadly not noticed while Dave was busy making an arse of himself

If £40 million lost is an omnishambles, then what is £10 billion on the NHS IT project?

The one which gave us secure email, an encrypted broadband network and several contracts for electronic health records?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited December 2013
    9: 10 11/ 12/ 13 :D

Drat a minute late
  • Options

Is there any evidence that electoral rolls have increased where UKIP is strong?

Not that I know of. But this is one area where a small party competing with a big party could conceivably end up actually helping the big party. If UKIP create some actual political activity in Tory areas that results in more registered voters, the boundary commission should eventually catch up and create more seats in those areas, resulting in more Tory MPs.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

tim said:

The one which gave us secure email, an encrypted broadband network and several contracts for electronic health records?
    LOL.

Do you really think that was value for money for £10 billion?

After ten years, the Lorenzo care record system is not in use by a single trust. That is failure at an epic level. The fact you try and find tiny crumbs of comfort in the disaster is telling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_Connecting_for_Health
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    At last Sir Michael Wilshire says some home truths about English education.

"Launching Ofsted's annual report, chief inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw will say "a poverty of expectation" is also a fundamental weakness in schools.

He says this prevents England moving up international league rankings.

Teaching unions said a combative approach was not constructive.

Sir Michael will warn of "a culture of casual acceptance of low-level disruption and poor attitudes to learning".

"The sort of culture that is a million miles away from the sort of cultures we see in some of the high-performing Asian countries," he will say."....

"Sir Michael is expected to use his speech to call on England's school leaders who are failing to deal with naughty behaviour to create a "calm and respectful culture essential for learning".

Lessons should not be undermined by "background chatter, inattention and horseplay", he says."....

"Sir Michael told the BBC: "We're saying very clearly in this report that poverty, disadvantage is not a predictor for failure, that we've got lots of poor children now - more than ever before - doing well in our schools.

"What we are seeing though is that the country is divided between lucky and unlucky children. We're seeing children that happen to be born in the right postcode who are fortunate children because they go to good schools with head teachers and teachers with high expectations of them.

"But we're also seeing unlucky children with the same sort of background, who are born in the wrong area, live in the wrong place, go to the wrong sort of school where there's poor leadership, with head teachers and teachers with low expectations of what they can achieve."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25317247
  • Options
    Meanwhile Wales is still linking education failure to poverty - when will they stop using this excuse?

"More needs to be done by ministers to tackle the effects of poverty on low school achievement, a report says.

Inspection body Estyn also says schools do not make good use of money allocated to help poorer pupils.

It says the emphasis is on literacy and numeracy but not on tackling the link between poverty and low achievement.

The Welsh government says it is "absolutely committed" to breaking the link between deprivation and educational attainment.

Although many schools have recently become more focused on the importance of improving the standards and wellbeing of disadvantaged pupils, tackling poverty is still not a high enough priority for all schools”

In a report out on Tuesday, Estyn - the inspectorate of education and training in Wales - says pupils from poorer backgrounds have difficulties not faced by others.

"Learners from disadvantaged backgrounds tend to have parents who are less likely to be involved in their education and more likely to have a negative perception of education."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25306079
  • Options
    What is about to happen at the Wonderful BBC? .... Order-Order..
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'Overall, eight in 10 state schools in England are now rated as good or outstanding by Ofsted - the highest proportion in the watchdog's 21-year history.'

How does that compare with Labour run Wales?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,986
    edited December 2013
    One thing that even the most pilloried politician never said or implied was that one race was superior to another in terms of intelligence or capacity for intelligence

We all know what @tim is alluding to...he has previously claimed the increase in grades in inner London was due to "thick white racists " moving out.... He isn't saying so now to get around the moderators ban

Imagine the opposite was said.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Shortly it'll be :

9:10 am 11:12:13 ....

The end is nigh .... well at least until it happens again in 90 years time !!

Don't worry - there's another one just after quarter past two this afternoon:

11/12/13 14:15:16
  • Options
    isam said:

One thing that even the most pilloried politician never said or implied was that one race was superior to another in terms of intelligence or capacity for intelligence

We all know what @tim is alluding to...he has previously claimed the increase in grades in inner London was due to "thick white racists " moving out.... He isn't saying so now to get around the moderators ban

Can tim be Abu Qatada in disguise?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    MikeK said:

isam said:

As far as I know, the only poster who had ever directly claimed different races have different intelligences (or more specifically IQs) is SeanT. And I'm fairly sure he hasn't been banned recently
  • Options
    Lawrence Webb ‏@UKIPWebb4London
    We're all in it together, REALLY? MPs get 11% rise: £7,600 pay hike
    http://ow.ly/28FSRg

Actually I wouldn't mind MP's getting a £7,600 pay hike, providing they were worth it and not contributing to ruining the country. As it is, they should be deducted that amount until they improve performance and back benchers show some individual enterprise.
  • Options
    isam said:

Without being trite, and at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, one of the most pilloried politicians ever (and rightly so, just for the record), was quite big on that kind of racial stuff.
  • Options
    tim said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

I'd put money on you being far more likely to take up arms in a religious and territorial struggle than anyone else on here.
    And like Qatada you represent an objectionable minority fringe within your religion.
    "You" being MikeK, right? The bet sounds interesting on the merits, but how would we settle it?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    "Business leaders have challenged Alex Salmond to cost his blueprint for an independent Scotland instead of making up answers “on the hoof” or producing “wish lists”. "

Sounds familiar - I wonder if these 'Business leaders' have been reading PB.com ?
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

The immigrant population in London is more highly educated than the "native" population, you would expect that to impact to a degree (geddit) on the results of children at school.Many of those immigrants of course are white, so there's clearly no racial angle.
    Read the data, immigrants have a higher level of education on the whole.

It seems to happen in other areas of the country to to a lesser degree, Graham Stuart the Tory Education Committee Chair was on the radio this morning saying Ofsted will identify problems up the East coast from Suffolk, Norfolk up through his own East Riding to Northumberland.
    Wales issues are well documented.

What do all these areas have in common, it's not political control.
    It could be this though.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/11/article-2246288-1675C59D000005DC-612_634x682.jpg
    Clearly no racial angle? You know full well the demographics of Tower Hamlets,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Tower_Hamlets

You have also said that inner London schools have improved because "thick white racists" have left the area... Have the courage of your convictions.

You obviously believe the best thing for the country to do is import people that are more intelligent, resulting in the original people moving away from their homes and struggling in education somewhere else... You have said so many times, you point it out with glee. You have done it already today.

Now imagine a white person saying the same about school grades in South Africa
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

Without being trite, and at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, one of the most pilloried politicians ever (and rightly so, just for the record), was quite big on that kind of racial stuff.

In the persecuted world of the revivalist Powellites no one is pilloried more than good old Enoch.Not even Adolf.

My mistake, "wrongly pilloried"
  • Options
    tim said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

I'd put money on you being far more likely to take up arms in a religious and territorial struggle than anyone else on here.
    And like Qatada you represent an objectionable minority fringe within your religion.

You, tim are a t.......t. I have no religion other that, if there are gods, there must be hundreds of them. I guess that makes me a Pagan.

Your thin veiled ant-semitic remarks are deplorable.
  • Options
    If Tower Hamlets can do it so can every other part of the country. Rather than score political points, why not learn from what has been achieved by this exceptionally poor borough? It looks like the pupil premium has played a part, as has concerted action from the local authority itself. This is excellent news and shows that we do not have to look as far as east Asia to see how education can be improved. The tools are all there now and have been for a while, it seems.
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

isam said:

The immigrant population in London is more highly educated than the "native" population, you would expect that to impact to a degree (geddit) on the results of children at school.Many of those immigrants of course are white, so there's clearly no racial angle.
    Read the data, immigrants have a higher level of education on the whole.

It seems to happen in other areas of the country to to a lesser degree, Graham Stuart the Tory Education Committee Chair was on the radio this morning saying Ofsted will identify problems up the East coast from Suffolk, Norfolk up through his own East Riding to Northumberland.
    Wales issues are well documented.

What do all these areas have in common, it's not political control.
    It could be this though.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/11/article-2246288-1675C59D000005DC-612_634x682.jpg
    Clearly no racial angle? You know full well the demographics of Tower Hamlets,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Tower_Hamlets

You have also said that inner London schools have improved because "thick white racists" have left the area... Have the courage of your convictions.

You obviously believe the best thing for the country to do is import people that are more intelligent, resulting in the original people moving away from their homes and struggling in education somewhere else... You have said so many times, you point it out with glee. You have done it already today.

Now imagine a white person saying the same about school grades in South Africa
    2001 Tower Hamlets white people 100,000 total population 196,000
    2011 Tower Hamlets white people 115,000 total population 254,000

Your white flight obsession is distorting your thinking, and certainly doesn't explain the educational improvements.

It's not about skin colour or religion, it's about being determined to address a problem and using every tool at your disposal to do something about it. This is just a superb achievement form those who work in Tower Hamlets' schools, the pupils and the local authority. If lessons are not learned or are ignored for political reasons it will be an absolute scandal.

• Options
    It seems that the Mandela service's sign language interpreter might have been a fake:
    http://www.theage.com.au/world/all-signs-suggest-obamas-interpreter-for-the-deaf-was-fake-20131211-2z60s.html

It seemed odd to me when I watched yesterday, but I assumed that the sign language used in SA was different from BSL.

(fx: checking: it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Sign_Language )

If true and the guy was a fake, then it is really embarrassing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited December 2013

dr_spyn said:
    "Business leaders have challenged Alex Salmond to cost his blueprint for an independent Scotland instead of making up answers “on the hoof” or producing “wish lists”. "

Sounds familiar - I wonder if these 'Business leaders' have been reading PB.com ?
    No, 'business leaders' apparently have a wider outlook than PB.com and Telegraph spin.
    It appears that its both sides that have questions to answer.

'“It seems to us that increasingly there are some answers being made on the hoof to make policies up, or wishlists which are appearing, which basically tell us when we ask questions that it will be OK when we have independence, or it’ll be OK from the other side because the UK is a big country.”'
  • Options
    tim said:

If Tower Hamlets can do it so can every other part of the country. Rather than score political points, why not learn from what has been achieved by this exceptionally poor borough? It looks like the pupil premium has played a part, as has concerted action from the local authority itself. This is excellent news and shows that we do not have to look as far as east Asia to see how education can be improved. The tools are all there now and have been for a while, it seems.

Gove destroyed the toolkit

"Press release: Scheme to improve London schools is working - Ofsted"

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/news/scheme-improve-london-schools-working-ofsted

"Ofsted contradicts Gove – success of London Challenge had little to do with sponsored academies"

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2012/11/ofsted-contradicts-gove-success-of-london-challenge-had-little-to-do-with-sponsored-academies/#sthash.hJ0NDYjK.dpuf

There is no reason why Gove cannot admit he may have got this wrong - he has certainly acknowledged that the London Challenge was successful. The pieces are all still there and can be picked up and put back in place relatively easily. It can also be rolled out across the country. After today's news about free school overspend any argument against doing this based on lack of resources is clearly a nonsense.

• Options

SO: You are right but the tools have always been there. It is just that councils of certain political persuasions have chosen (for their own reasons) not to use them.

A lot of nonsensical educational theory has been imbibed by the teaching profession over the last forty years to the detriment of their pupils. It is turning this round that has been and is the major problem and is creating the most resistance.
  • Options

What is about to happen at the Wonderful BBC? .... Order-Order..

Maybe this tape has "turned up"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508568/Revealed-Tape-shows-BBC-chief-did-know-Savile-probe.html

"A Tory MP last night sent a bombshell tape recording to the chairman of the BBC Trust which he says proves there was a ‘cover-up’ over the Jimmy Savile affair.

Rob Wilson has given Chris Patten a recording of Nick Pollard – who headed an independent inquiry into why the BBC’s Newsnight programme axed its investigation of Savile.

On the tape, Mr Pollard is heard admitting that he made a ‘mistake’ by withholding a key detail from his report. He says he was told that BBC head of news, Helen Boaden, had personally informed director-general Mark Thompson of the sex abuse allegations against Savile in December 2011. Mr Pollard added he received the information in a letter from Ms Boaden’s lawyer."
  • Options
    Financier said:

SO: You are right but the tools have always been there. It is just that councils of certain political persuasions have chosen (for their own reasons) not to use them.

A lot of nonsensical educational theory has been imbibed by the teaching profession over the last forty years to the detriment of their pupils. It is turning this round that has been and is the major problem and is creating the most resistance.

It would be interesting to see the make-up of teachers in Tower Hamlets: are they qualified, members of unions, relatively new to the profession etc? My suspicion is that what Tower Hamlets shows is that well led teachers deliver good results and that underperforming schools are much more about political will and poor management than what happens directly in the classroom. And it seems that this is an issue that goes across political persuasions. How can it be, for example, that comprehensive Tower Hamlets outscores grammar school Kent? And if you look at the PISA ratings they also show that once socio-economic factors are factored in the state school system here generally delivers better results than the private system. It seems to me that the answers to our problems are very much on our doorstep, but that too many people do not want to learn them because they are something of an inconvenience.

• Options
    Guido has the tape...
This discussion has been closed.