Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tuesday PB Nighthawks

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463

Can we replace the Tens with Newsnight?

Not perfect but far, far, better than any of the other shite on telly news since this shit kicked off.

:+1: Yep, they are having a good plague :smile:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    "Those who take part in the Oxford trial could be paid up to £190 to £625 reimbursement for their time."

Being a human guinea pig doesn't pay very well.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Interestingly the majority of responses have been from people who do not make comments and include one or two well-known figures in public life that I did not realise followed the site.
    Well, you have to do something when you're recovering from a virus!
  • Options

Interesting to see how the US small business loans programme has been hoovered up by large corporates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-52363531

Harvard...no class these upstart universities.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,892
    Very interesting discussion regarding centralised vs decentralised testing.

Notable that the two countries most successful in testing - South Korea and Germany - adopted the latter approach, which we considered and rejected.

I have to say that the more I hear of Public Health England management, the less impressed I am.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

I don't think PPE has been a particular failure of the Government - Central Government has now had to step in because of the failure of NHS Trusts to procure the necessary PPE. They were clearly given the resources to do so, and clearly just getting on the blower to the usual guy to say 'can we have 10 times our usual order please' was not going to work.

It needed a lot more work with suppliers, a lot of imagination, compromises on materials etc. Few seem to have managed that. It speaks to me of a public service where the culture is to be robotic, unimaginative, and a bit hopeless.

You're spouting your ususal Tory twaddle again @Luckyguy1983.

The idea that multiple competing NHS trusts were ever going to be the right way to procure a massive uplift in PPE is for the birds.

What was clearly needed was a co-ordinated centrally driven programme. We should be on a war footing for this.
    Yup an NHS trust would never be able to incentivise a company to increase production capacity or guarantee future purchases of domestic capacity if lines are retooled at great expense. It needed and still needs a wartime procurement approach. Imagine that all components and materials need to be made in the UK and work from there as a worst case scenario. Plug in what can be got from overseas into the chain.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

Notable that the two countries most successful in testing - South Korea and Germany - adopted the latter approach, which we considered and rejected.

I have to say that the more I hear of Public Health England management, the less impressed I am.

I imagine the media reaction to the UK using a network of private testing labs wouldn't have been good.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

It’s a rum night when the most favourable newspaper headline for the government is in the Independent.

Feels like the vaccine news was dropped in to try and distract from the EU PPE decision.

The EU scheme hasn't delivered anything yet, it's not going to for a while. It's a complete distraction that people are falling for. The question is why the government has ignored legitimate offers if help from UK industry. Why have suppliers been ignored and ended up exporting the very items we're now struggling to get even after they offered them to the government. Why wasn't an industrial procurement and manufacturing assistance plan put in place. Why wasn't overseas procurement difficulty anticipated when we did anticipate it for ventilators.

And so on. There's a lot more questions to answer than whether or not we're in an EU scheme that hasn't delivered anything.
    The suppliers you are reading in the press aren't manufacturers.

They are people who "know a bloke in China" who call up the government and say "Give me £5m and I'll get you the gowns, no questions asked".

You need to deal with the manufacturers direct

It's really really bad journalism to keep running with these stories. I don't know if its the press being underfunded, or mischevious or agenda driven. But it's bollocks.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

It’s a rum night when the most favourable newspaper headline for the government is in the Independent.

Feels like the vaccine news was dropped in to try and distract from the EU PPE decision.

The EU scheme hasn't delivered anything yet, it's not going to for a while. It's a complete distraction that people are falling for. The question is why the government has ignored legitimate offers if help from UK industry. Why have suppliers been ignored and ended up exporting the very items we're now struggling to get even after they offered them to the government. Why wasn't an industrial procurement and manufacturing assistance plan put in place. Why wasn't overseas procurement difficulty anticipated when we did anticipate it for ventilators.

And so on. There's a lot more questions to answer than whether or not we're in an EU scheme that hasn't delivered anything.
    The suppliers you are reading in the press aren't manufacturers.

They are people who "know a bloke in China" who call up the government and say "Give me £5m and I'll get you the gowns, no questions asked".

You need to deal with the manufacturers direct

It's really really bad journalism to keep running with these stories. I don't know if its the press being underfunded, or mischevious or agenda driven. But it's bollocks.
    100% agenda....I looked up the company from the Telegraph's "scoop" last night and it was clear as day why the government put them on hold.

If a reality tv show contestant, who runs a property development business, demanding a load of cash upfront for some medical kit they don't yet have, are you going to buy it? Its the equivalent of doing a deal with Arthur Daly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,173
    Betting post

Rosena next Labour leader 25/1.

Value?

Medical doctor, worked in big NHS teaching hospital, good communicator, photogenic and telegenic.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867

"Those who take part in the Oxford trial could be paid up to £190 to £625 reimbursement for their time."

Being a human guinea pig doesn't pay very well.

It's better than £74 per week - oops now £94 per week while the crisis lasts - on UC! :lol:
  • Options
    Yokes said:

There is one overriding story, the saintly NHS has not been overwhelmed and by the looks of it will have plenty of capacity spare for a while. Remember how much some people marvelled at how the Chinese built their field hospital in quick fashion? Yeah well Britain did it pretty fast too when it was under the gun

The rumours about Kim Jong Un being rather ill are interesting. The most interesting thing about it is the fact that the US are driving the detail of what might be up. Its either total mischief or they do have some decent intelligence and are trying, as is the way US intelligence often works, to push North Korea into a rebuttal through putting Kim on the telly, outputting some other response or no response (thus providing verification either way), by pushing out some specifics.

Didn't South Korea say it wasn't true though?
  • Options

Betting post

Value?

Medical doctor, worked in big NHS teaching hospital, good communicator, photogenic and telegenic.

Yes. But female so not very likely in the Labour party.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    edited April 2020
    If the experience of Northern Ireland which has a single over arching supplies organisation across all Trusts, is reflected elsewhere in the UK there is legitimacy in those tweets. Procurement around disposable kit has been shocking because its been run according to procedures and by people who have no will/ability to try to subvert them which is exactly what needs doing.

That there is global bidding for disposables is clear. It also helps if you want to pay a portion upfront.

That there are actually very few actual manufacturing concerns in the UK doing this kit. The companies that say we 'can supply and no one is getting back to us', but really are just middlemanning to overseas suppliers does reflect a slice of the supply chain including some of those shouting the odds in public. There are very experienced companies in that trade used by the health service already. Is it possible some of these firms shouting the odds but with no actual manufacturing capacity can find new supply sources? Maybe but maybe not. The ones that count are the ones that have the manufacturing here or own/can make or break suppliers overseas and those are few and far between.

I'll give you one example of a small company based in England who's day to day business is totally unrelated to the medical supplies field. Yet a week ago it was touting that it could supply large quantities of hand sanitiser to private and public sector organisations.

The Turkish supplies, nothing new there with delays, other European countries have had the same problem extracting supplies.

Finally has any acute hospital actually outright run out?

What amazes me is that I haven't seen reports that government has spoken to the retail clothing supply chain titans. Their power over their manufacturing supply chain is large and it may be possible to use it. Brutal maybe but there you go.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    eadric said:

Yokes said:

There is one overriding story, the saintly NHS has not been overwhelmed and by the looks of it will have plenty of capacity spare for a while. Remember how much some people marvelled at the Chinese built their field hospital in quick fashion? Yeah well Britain did it pretty fast too when it was under the gun

The rumours about Kim Jong Un being rather ill are interesting. The most interesting thing about it is the fact that the US are driving the detail of what might be up. Its either total mischief or they do have some decent intelligence and are trying, as is the way US intelligence often works, to push North Korea into a rebuttal through putting Kim on the telly, outputting some other response or no response (thus providing verification either way), by pushing out some specifics.

Yes, this occurred to me today

Amongst the hysterical criticisms, the British government is doing... ok.

No one has been refused treatment. Civil order has not broken down. Old people in ICUs are not being left to die without ventilators. No one has been welded into their apartment. We seem to be flatttening the curve with a somewhat less severe lockdown than Spain, Italy or France.

It’s not a wild success story, but it’s certainly not a catastrophe, in context.

Of course this is not headline news. Old rich country does ok in Global disaster.
    If we had been in exactly this situation but with Corbyn in charge all the PB Tories and their media allies would be screaming blue murder. It's the hypocrisy I find amusing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Yokes said:

There is one overriding story, the saintly NHS has not been overwhelmed and by the looks of it will have plenty of capacity spare for a while. Remember how much some people marvelled at how the Chinese built their field hospital in quick fashion? Yeah well Britain did it pretty fast too when it was under the gun

Yes.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Charles said:

Yokes said:

The news now comes from valid sources. South China Morning Post etc

If it is true, I wonder if Kim was done in by his doctors
    Done in by being a little Elvis more like.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Betting post

Value?

Woman? You can bet your house, you'll excuse me if I don't bet mine. I won't bother to remember to tell you and I expect you to tell me, if you can but I expect you won't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well the "suppliers" have overwhelmingly turned out to be middle men chancers with no track record,.

But the why didn't the government go all WWII,any factory that can make stuff we will buy, now that is a really good question.
    Have an intern reading the emails and another one making phonecalls to assess the legitimacy. It's not a big job really.
    That's what they are doing.

But instead of saying "you're a chancer, sod off" they are just ignoring them.

Said chancer then runs to the press
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601
    MaxPB said:

I don't think PPE has been a particular failure of the Government - Central Government has now had to step in because of the failure of NHS Trusts to procure the necessary PPE. They were clearly given the resources to do so, and clearly just getting on the blower to the usual guy to say 'can we have 10 times our usual order please' was not going to work.

It needed a lot more work with suppliers, a lot of imagination, compromises on materials etc. Few seem to have managed that. It speaks to me of a public service where the culture is to be robotic, unimaginative, and a bit hopeless.

The idea that multiple competing NHS trusts were ever going to be the right way to procure a massive uplift in PPE is for the birds.

What was clearly needed was a co-ordinated centrally driven programme. We should be on a war footing for this.
    Yup an NHS trust would never be able to incentivise a company to increase production capacity or guarantee future purchases of domestic capacity if lines are retooled at great expense. It needed and still needs a wartime procurement approach. Imagine that all components and materials need to be made in the UK and work from there as a worst case scenario. Plug in what can be got from overseas into the chain.
    PPE is a different kettle of fish to ventilators. These are not complex machines with moving parts, they are garments. There are plenty of textile factories in the UK that make clothes to patterns.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well the "suppliers" have overwhelmingly turned out to be middle men chancers with no track record,.

But the why didn't the government go all WWII,any factory that can make stuff we will buy, now that is a really good question.
    Have an intern reading the emails and another one making phonecalls to assess the legitimacy. It's not a big job really.

It reminds me of the stories they ran about some chancers saying they could get 5,000 ventilators. Nobody has managed to buy that many on the open market in one go from a single source.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I imagine the media reaction to the UK using a network of private testing labs wouldn't have been good.
    Why ? It’s worked elsewhere - and the government’s own strategy now relies on the majority of tests being carried out by the private sector. It’s just that the system for this being carried out is centralised and inflexible.

Moving fast and making mistakes is preferable to moving slow... and making mistakes.
    You learn quicker.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Why ? It’s worked elsewhere - and the government’s own strategy now relies on the majority of tests being carried out by the private sector. It’s just that the system for this being carried out is centralised and inflexible.

Moving fast and making mistakes is preferable to moving slow... and making mistakes.
    You learn quicker.
    Because there is this weird mentality of any use of the private sector in health care is instantly "privatising the NHS".

Germany they are perfectly comfortable with it, same in Sweden. But when Tony Blair tried to reduce waiting lists by using private providers, the media went nuts on his government.

And we have just had a GE, where every day, it was the Tories want to sell off / privatise the NHS narrative. I am going to guess PHE also not keen on losing their grip on things by bringing in outside help. Hence why they insisted on creating the test, where as in Germany, a private lab developed it and the government just bought it.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    isam said:

eadric said:

Yokes said:

There is one overriding story, the saintly NHS has not been overwhelmed and by the looks of it will have plenty of capacity spare for a while. Remember how much some people marvelled at the Chinese built their field hospital in quick fashion? Yeah well Britain did it pretty fast too when it was under the gun

No one has been refused treatment. Civil order has not broken down. Old people in ICUs are not being left to die without ventilators. No one has been welded into their apartment. We seem to be flatttening the curve with a somewhat less severe lockdown than Spain, Italy or France.

It’s not a wild success story, but it’s certainly not a catastrophe, in context.

Of course this is not headline news. Old rich country does ok in Global disaster.
    They might have destroyed the economy though, and forced half the country’s restaurants & pubs out of business
    Should they have allowed pubs and restaurants to stay open? The daily briefing would have been interesting
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

You learn quicker.
    Because there is this weird mentality of any use of the private sector in health care is instantly "privatising the NHS".
    They are using the private sector. They will provide the majority of Hancock’s 100k tests, if he ever gets there.
    They’re just doing it in the slowest way possible.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324

Betting post

Value?

There was a whole PB thread about it (though as per usual the posts beneath were somewhat discursive).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Yokes said:

They said they have no reports suggesting that Kim is in grave danger, not that for example that he didn't undergo serious surgery and isn't exactly chipper. So there are shades there about what state he is in rather than contradiction in the US led stories.

Again it could be mischief but the US methodology of flying kites with some workable intelligence to flush out further info isn't unusual practice and it does have that look about it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    eadric said:

Charles said:

Yokes said:

The news now comes from valid sources. South China Morning Post etc

If it is true, I wonder if Kim was done in by his doctors
    The original source - from a single source:

https://www.dailynk.com/english/source-kim-jong-un-recently-received-heart-surgery/
  • Options

isam said:

eadric said:

Yokes said:

They might have destroyed the economy though, and forced half the country’s restaurants & pubs out of business
    Should they have allowed pubs and restaurants to stay open? The daily briefing would have been interesting
    Let's ask the Swedes?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

If the experience of Northern Ireland which has a single over arching supplies organisation across all Trusts, is reflected elsewhere in the UK there is legitimacy in those tweets. Procurement around disposable kit has been shocking because its been run according to procedures and by people who have no will/ability to try to subvert them which is exactly what needs doing.

That there is global bidding for disposables is clear. It also helps if you want to pay a portion upfront.

That there are actually very few actual manufacturing concerns in the UK doing this kit. The companies that say we 'can supply and no one is getting back to us', but really are just middlemanning to overseas suppliers does reflect a slice of the supply chain including some of those shouting the odds in public. There are very experienced companies in that trade used by the health service already. Is it possible some of these firms shouting the odds but with no actual manufacturing capacity can find new supply sources? Maybe but maybe not. The ones that count are the ones that have the manufacturing here or own/can make or break suppliers overseas and those are few and far between.

I'll give you one example of a small company based in England who's day to day business is totally unrelated to the medical supplies field. Yet a week ago it was touting that it could supply large quantities of hand sanitiser to private and public sector organisations.

The Turkish supplies, nothing new there with delays, other European countries have had the same problem extracting supplies.

What amazes me is that I haven't seen reports that government has spoken to the retail clothing supply chain titans. Their power over their manufacturing supply chain is large and it may be possible to use it. Brutal maybe but there you go.
    Didn't the Japanese Govt. ask people to send in their raincoats? I've got an old Burberry trench coat, still quite fetching.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

It reminds me of the stories they ran about some chancers saying they could get 5,000 ventilators. Nobody has managed to buy that many on the open market in one go from a single source.

A director from Airbus gave a figure of 50 a week normally, produced by one of the UK's two main manufacturers, for the ventilator design that Airbus have helped to replicate.

This kind of spiv time wasting should be criminal.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

You learn quicker.
    They are using the private sector. They will provide the majority of Hancock’s 100k tests, if he ever gets there.
    They are NOW...Initially PHE insisted on re-creating a test and controlling all testing from their labs. It meant we were slower than Germany by several weeks. I bet we could have bought that tech if we wanted to.

The government clearly went along with it, because the scientists said don't need to worry about 100,000 antigen tests a day, these antibody tests will get us mass testing and way easier. But the government clearly didn't put in place a back-up plan and only now scrambling about to develop it.

I would have bought up all the unis and drug companies capacity, so what if we did get the antibody tests and it was wasted money.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PPE is a different kettle of fish to ventilators. These are not complex machines with moving parts, they are garments. There are plenty of textile factories in the UK that make clothes to patterns.
    How many, how high volume and where do they get their raw material from?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,046
    Anyone watching Newsnight?
  • Options

This can't be right - competition is always the right answer, surely?
    The only specific case he has is "a supplier who was in a position to offer 10m masks"

i.e. a dodgy chancer. If it was a primary manufacturer it wouldn't be described like that
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds distinctly possible - chancer - press - headline. Sounds distinctly likely.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    OllyT said:

eadric said:

Yokes said:

If we had been in exactly this situation but with Corbyn in charge all the PB Tories and their media allies would be screaming blue murder. It's the hypocrisy I find amusing.
    I think you’re probably right. To be honest though, I think this situation is so unprecedented, and still we don’t know much about the disease, that any strong criticisms of any approach are fuelled by existing bias rather than level headed assessment
  • Options
    I believe that naval headline must be referencing HMS Victory.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Charles said:

The only specific case he has is "a supplier who was in a position to offer 10m masks"

i.e. a dodgy chancer. If it was a primary manufacturer it wouldn't be described like that
    I just looked up the company the Guardian says could do 10m masks. They have no website or social media presence, company accounts aren't up to date and in 2018, made gross profit of £16k.
  • Options
    Strange that, are we short of masks, or was it full length gowns? I walked into a chemist in the last week and they had a couple of large boxes each with lots of smaller boxes of disposable masks being unpacked, with (assumed) chinese worded packaging.

Were they for pharmacy staff? Maybe though it must be costing the staff a fortune as the pricing at the counter quoted a pound a pop for them.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    It worse than that, read carefully the wording. Landcent didn't contact the UK government, a company called EFDUK LIMITED did. They have absolutely no presence, other than some basic filings with companies house.

Also, I don't believe that EcoLogix website is the right company. And again EcoLogix, according to companies house is worth all of £20k, and does bugger all business. They seems they (used) to sell eco-friendly paint stripper. Again no website that I can find.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone watching Newsnight?

Surely someone must be - phone Guinness.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It does slightly amuse me the the angst about reusing surgical garments.

They've only moved to single use in the last 15 years or so, mainly to save money.

And now people are objecting to reusing gowns...
  • Options
    Brilliant or should that be Brilloliant?
  • Options
    Email I got today...

• Options

It worse than that, read carefully the wording. Landcent didn't contact the UK government, a company called EFDUK LIMITED did. They have absolutely no presence, other than some basic filings with companies house.

Also, I don't believe that EcoLogix website is the right company. And again EcoLogix, according to companies house is worth all of £20k, and does bugger all business.
    Yes - I changed that - but the journalism is astonishingly shoddy, someone who speculatively bought a load of masks of unknown quality complain that they can't offload them to the government, presumably at a profit. The Guardian should have asked those basic questions.
  • Options
    isam said:

OllyT said:

eadric said:

Yokes said:

I think you’re probably right. To be honest though, I think this situation is so unprecedented, and still we don’t know much about the disease, that any strong criticisms of any approach are fuelled by existing bias rather than level headed assessment
    We are and there will and should be blood on the carpet after. Will the NHS hierarchy get hauled over the coals as much as the politicians? Doubt it. Of course there are lots of people working their nads off but there are some notable failures. Mistakes are gonna be made but areas with a lack of initiative, wit and imagination deserve to be called out.
  • Options
    isam said:

OllyT said:

eadric said:

Yokes said:

There will obviously have to be the mother of all enquiries when we're over this. Conversations now are just tosh
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    alterego said:

Yokes said:

Didn't the Japanese Govt. ask people to send in their raincoats? I've got an old Burberry trench coat, still quite fetching.
    No it’s only the UK struggling to buy PPE, everyone else has loads of the stuff
  • Options
    That's devastating for Pelosi. Amateur hour to allow the interviewer to ask about something serious in the same interview as something trivial. It's one or the other.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So....who fancies spending a £10s million quid for medical gear sight unseen with two companies, who have no website, no clear real sales in the past few years and whose stated businesses are things like eco-paint stripper?

I think I might have more luck getting a load of masks of Delboy down the market or Arthur from the Winchester club.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

You learn quicker.
    They are NOW...Initially PHE insisted on re-creating a test and controlling all testing from their labs. It meant we were slower than Germany by several weeks. I bet we could have bought that tech if we wanted to.

The government clearly went along with it, because the scientists said don't need to worry about 100,000 antigen tests a day, these antibody tests will get us mass testing and way easier. But the government clearly didn't put in place a back-up plan and only now scrambling about to develop it.

I would have bought up all the unis and drug companies capacity, so what if we did get the antibody tests and it was wasted money.
    Agreed.
    And if nothing else, you could have used the least crap antibody test anyway in practice run for conducting large scale testing later. The results themselves might not tell you much (though in the unlikely event of 50% of the country already having antibodies they would), but it would show up any problems in actually delivering them.
  • Options

Charles said:

I just looked up the company the Guardian says could do 10m masks. They have no website or social media presence, company accounts aren't up to date and in 2018, made gross profit of £16k.
    But the Grauniad uses them all the time!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    He is not going to walk it but it will certainly be very close in my view and Pelosi's luxury ice cream stock shows why the Democrats are still less able to connect with Middle America than Trump
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    If some twat like me off the internet can find this shit out in 10 minutes of googling, I would have thought a journalist could...oh wait they didn't even know deaths for the past 100+ years were available from the ONS.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    HYUFD said:

He is not going to walk it but it will certainly be very close in my view and Pelosi's luxury ice cream stock shows why the Democrats are still less able to connect with Middle America than Trump
    Trump lives so modestly.
  • Options
    It's a strange role reversal. Not exactly like here but ......
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    HYUFD said:

I have no idea what possessed her to do that, but it is an absolute gift to GOP.

At least Biden understands that the rust belt working class, farm workers and unionised labour is part of his potential winning coalition.

Unlike HRC.
  • Options
    isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

HYUFD said:

I have no idea what possessed her to do that, but it is an absolute gift to GOP.

At least Biden understands that the rust belt working class, farm workers and unionised labour is part of his potential winning coalition.

Unlike HRC.
    The screaming outrage about Trump stopping immigration for a few weeks is also very tone deaf. Trump can play it as necessary to protect the nation and only idiots like us aren't closing the borders.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

HYUFD said:

Unlike HRC.
    Indeed, Hillary and Pelosi are both very rich, liberal coastal elitists, both actually effective legislators but tone deaf in terms of how to appeal to the average American.

Biden I agree has more appeal to blue collar voters and the rustbelt and adding Governor Whitmer of Michigan to his ticket will only help tilt the Democrats away from the coasts to the swing states in the MidWest
  • Options
    Yokes said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

eadric said:

Yokes said:

We are and there will and should be blood on the carpet after. Will the NHS hierarchy get hauled over the coals as much as the politicians? Doubt it. Of course there are lots of people working their nads off but there are some notable failures. Mistakes are gonna be made but areas with a lack of initiative, wit and imagination deserve to be called out.
    Most important to learn rather than punish, but that's not to say punish isn't in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Trump lives so modestly.
    It doesn't matter what Trump does. For his base (and for many wider independents) Trump is one of them who did good and made money and got rich and now lives well. He deserves his golf courses and gold plated doors.

The elite, professional, east coast liberals, lawyers and know-it-all professors on the other hand...
  • Options

Charles said:

If it was the same company as the one in Lewis Goodall's tweet the wording was delicious

"we are in a position to offer you 10m masks"

Yeah right. Fell of the back of a lorry did they mate?
  • Options

alterego said:

Yokes said:

Really? For Christ's sake, tell HMG where to get it.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Trump lives so modestly.
    It doesn't matter what Trump does. For his base (and for many wider independents) Trump is one of them who did good and made money and got rich and now lives well. He deserves his golf courses and gold plated doors.

The elite, professional, east coast liberals, lawyers and know-it-all professors on the other hand...
    Its the pretending to be somebody you aren't. Trump plays up the I am mega rich.

Boris gets all the bashing for being rich elite toff, but he just says yes and what...and the public don't appear to mind it. Where as Cameron kept trying to portray this image of being much more like the working man, and people knew it was BS and the out of touch stuff stuck far more.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Unlike HRC.
    The screaming outrage about Trump stopping immigration for a few weeks is also very tone deaf. Trump can play it as necessary to protect the nation and only idiots like us aren't closing the borders.
    Yep.

I mean if you are sitting in a bar in Alabama and the guy on the telly says we are closing the borders because there is a plague why wouldn't you agree?

• Options

HYUFD said:

Unlike HRC.
    Yep.

I mean if you are sitting in a bar in Alabama and the guy on the telly says we are closing the borders because there is a plague why wouldn't you agree?

Cos they are all racist deplorables....
  • Options

So....who fancies spending a £10s million quid for medical gear sight unseen with two companies, who have no website, no clear real sales in the past few years and whose stated businesses are things like eco-paint stripper?

I think I might have more luck getting a load of masks of Delboy down the market or Arthur from the Winchester club.

You'd certainly get a better deal from Dellboy
  • Options
    That's pretty impactful.

Utterly unfair, of course, but very effective
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

Charles said:

I bet the Guardian didn't do that sort of checking.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Unlike HRC.
    Yep.

Cos they are all racist deplorables....
    And that my friends is how one HRC lost the last election :smiley:
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

They've only moved to single use in the last 15 years or so, mainly to save money.

Actually the usage of single use gowns is still under developed in the UK with many hospitals still using single use gowns in the operating theatre.

Unlike reusable gowns used in the OT that have blood/ body fluids on them after use & need laundering before autoclaving,ICU gowns will be contaminated with droplets & light splashing, therefore could bypass the laundry process & go direct to the hospital autoclave, which would reduce turn around time.

In any case both single use & reusable are approved as per European standards.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That's pretty impactful.

The Dems have a total nightmare on their hands fighting this kind of stuff on social media.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Charles said:

I think they do know it isn't as strong a piece as they are making out, because the way the report is worded.

"Arun Prabhu, Landcent’s co-founder, said its UK partner, EFDUK, had contacted the government at the end of March offering to supply face masks,"

So they lead with these claims and repeatedly refer to this Landcent company (who are Dutch I believe), who flogs stuff like eco-toilets and anti-malaria nets. So some sense of legitimacy...then they slip in well my mate in the UK phoned the government up. And what's your mate in the UK do...well....quickly moving on....your mate's company got a website...look the government has f##ked up here, that's the story...
  • Options
    alterego said:

alterego said:

Yokes said:

alibaba.com
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    I see the psychology of US voters explainers have signed in.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

If it was the same company as the one in Lewis Goodall's tweet the wording was delicious

"we are in a position to offer you 10m masks"

Yeah right. Fell of the back of a lorry did they mate?
    "Nah we 'ad to unload 'em, proper" says Bert
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Trump lives so modestly.

Its the pretending to be somebody you aren't. Trump plays up the I am mega rich.

Boris gets all the bashing for being rich elite toff, but he just says yes and what...and the public don't appear to mind it. Where as Cameron kept trying to portray this image of being much more like the working man, and people knew it was BS and the out of touch stuff stuck far more.
    Spot on - no grunt is gonna like a rich nob calling him bro'
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I am going to bet that this Dutch company Landcent set up a deal with a Chinese middle man to a factory. Then they have said to his mate in the UK, do you want in on this deal? To which, he has said yes and phoned up the government to say, he might be able to get a load of masks.

So, that's at least 3 middle men, probably more, all adding mark-up on a load of masks, that they don't actually have when they try and get the government to stump up money for sight unseen.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That's pretty impactful.

Why is it unfair? It's her isn't it? She knew it was being videoed. She's supposed to be a politician. What the fuck's unfair?
  • Options
    alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

https://www.extmedical.co.uk/c/face-masks.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

"that sort of" is redundant
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Actually the usage of single use gowns is still under developed in the UK with many hospitals still using single use gowns in the operating theatre.

Unlike reusable gowns used in the OT that have blood/ body fluids on them after use & need laundering before autoclaving,ICU gowns will be contaminated with droplets & light splashing, therefore could bypass the laundry process & go direct to the hospital autoclave, which would reduce turn around time.

The NHS is not the most penny-wise of institutions but it takes bravery above and beyond to voice it.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

Yokes said:

alibaba.com
    Disney?
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Should read 'still using reusable gowns in the operating theatre'
  • Options
    isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

It was a cheap shot, sorry.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

EXTmedical Inc? Inc?

Could be a dropshipper based on shipping time.
  • Options
    alterego said:

isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

It was a cheap shot, sorry.
    Went over my head, so never mind
  • Options
    Yokes said:

isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

EXTmedical Inc? Inc?

EDIT..website's English composition looks dodgy
  • Options
    Yokes said:

isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

EXTmedical Inc? Inc?

Try on merchants I’d have thought. We actually have a couple of face masks that my girlfriends dad got hold of for us, but haven’t used them
  • Options

Why don't the Guardian place an order to prove their point?
  • Options
    blairfblairf Posts: 98
    alterego said:

Yokes said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

Yokes said:

alibaba.com
    Disney?
    taobao would be a better bet.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yokes said:

isam said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Email I got today...

Yeah?

EXTmedical Inc? Inc?

Try on merchants I’d have thought. We actually have a couple of face masks that my girlfriends dad got hold of for us, but haven’t used them
    Reportedly the website is barely a month old...
This discussion has been closed.