Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » That designated deputy Raab last spoke to Boris on Saturday ra

2»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Tim_B said:

The Masters has been rescheduled for Nov 9 to 15.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/majors-gets-fall-overhaul-masters-us-open-and-pga-rescheduled

Although the schedule is still very much a work in progress officials from Augusta National, the USGA and the PGA of America announced in a joint statement on Monday that the Masters will be played Nov. 12-15; the PGA Championship will be held Aug. 6-9 at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco, where it was originally scheduled to be played; and the U.S. Open will be relocated to Sept. 18-21 and the championship will remain at Winged Foot in Mamaroneck, N.Y.

Totally bonkers. I’m glad the R&A have seen sense.
    Given it looks like lockdown should be over by mid June, Kurz today announced Austria would even be open for business again by mid May, the USPGA and PGA's decision to postpone not cancel the golf looks sensible
    I’d be amazed if spectators are allowed to attend if any of those go ahead - the U.S. Open in particular. Which kind of defeats the point for the course hosting the championship as they’ll lose out on revenue.
    If lockdown has ended spectators will be able to attend, marshalls maybe just stopping very big groups
    Lol. "Stopping very big groups". Have you ever watched a major golf tournament?

"Ending lockdown" isn't a binary thing. What we had before versus what we have now. We're not going back to what we had before for a long time. And that's before we even factor in numbers beginning to rise again.
    Nothing in the US PGA statement said spectators would be banned and if legally a lockdown is no longer in force there is nothing to stop spectators attending
    Apart from the US PGA saying they aren't allowed? ;)
    No mention of that here https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/04/u-s--open-postponed-to-september--2020-senior-opens-canceled.html
    Or here
    https://www.pgachampionship.com/2020newdate
    Ever heard of the saying... "circumstances might change"?
    If we are out of lockdown, we are out of lockdown.

Mass testing should be expanded but otherwise life should largely continue as normal except for the most vulnerable groups and stopping maybe the biggest festivals and stadium events to get the economy back on track until if there is another peak when we lockdown again or a vaccine is found
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Any country which wants to relax lockdown on the basis that its own figures are under control is still going to need some draconian measures to prevent travellers from more infected countries crossing their borders and triggering the whole epidemic again. I wonder how that can work in the modern world, not least internally in the EU.

That's true of essentially everywhere.

Until very recently, you could get on a plane and go pretty much anywhere with zero checks.

That will change.

You see it now with China. You will see it in other areas. I don't doubt that if Scotland was largely CV-19 free, and the England was not, then you would see restrictions on people crossing the border. You'll certainly see it across Schengen.

My guess is that you'll see "two way" re-openings happen relatively quickly. If Luxembourg and Belgium both see CV-19 cases drop to near zero, then things will normalise there quite quickly.

I suspect a much bigger issue will be places like the US. Wyoming or North Dakota - where social distancing is a natural consequence of incredibly spread out populations - will probably not bother with restrictions. Which means they'll keep low levels of CV-19 infections, well, in perpetuity.

This means that a New York will never really be free of it either, because people will come from Wyoming on a regular basis.

And that means travel between the US and the UK will need to be restricted.
    Or we get a vaccine and people stop worrying about it until the next pandemic comes along.
    Or, indeed, it turns out that 75% of cases are asymptomatic... Or we get a good treatmentt regime in place...
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone else having times when they wonder if the virus has struck them but aren't really sure ? Felt quite tired after my wfh shift today even though I've not done anything else, other half thought she had a temperature but didn't this morning. Muchos psychoschematic ?

Quite a few times.
    Me too. Every time I cough or my body temp feels awry I head for the thermometer.

Sigh.
    I'm surprised you haven't set something up so the thermometer is giving you an automatic reading every 15 minutes.
    Everyone has a sort of cough in the morning... difficult to chill.in these circumstances especially when people do not do social distancing. It concerns me but in west Sussex we are blessed with few cases.... doesnt mean one should not follow advice.

If you are not careful.it.... will.be something else that gets you. Your blood pressure must be off the scale .
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Hooray, Liverpool decide they won't be applying for the furlough funds.

Only after being castigated for doing it.
    They are the only one's who have reversed the decision.

The Spurs decision was galling because Levy was paid £7 million, FSG haven't taken a salary or a penny out of the club*. That's a proud achievement for a decade of ownership.

*Well apart from the repayment of the Main Stand loan.
    The point is we know that Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley are scumbags. Liverpool are the holy than thou club.
    Nah, we're the club other fans mock for being poor, you know the ones that sing 'sign on' or 'feed the Scousers.'
    So why the u-turn?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone else having times when they wonder if the virus has struck them but aren't really sure ? Felt quite tired after my wfh shift today even though I've not done anything else, other half thought she had a temperature but didn't this morning. Muchos psychoschematic ?

Quite a few times.
    Me too. Every time I cough or my body temp feels awry I head for the thermometer.

Sigh.
    I'm surprised you haven't set something up so the thermometer is giving you an automatic reading every 15 minutes.
    Everyone has a sort of cough in the morning... difficult to chill.in these circumstances especially when people do not do social distancing. It concerns me but in west Sussex we are blessed with few cases.... doesnt mean one should not follow advice.

If you are not careful.it.... will.be something else that gets you. Your blood pressure must be off the scale .
    Sorry Alex ..the reply is to Mysticrose
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020

It's about infected+recovered. Germany has identified 100k cases. Most will survive and recover. UK has identified 50k so far.

There was a paper the other day that suggested Germany's true level of symptomatic cases was around double detected, but the UK's was some gigantic amount more - 15x? don't remember exactly. In other words, 200k cases vs 750k.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Chris said:

Stocky said:

Any country which wants to relax lockdown on the basis that its own figures are under control is still going to need some draconian measures to prevent travellers from more infected countries crossing their borders and triggering the whole epidemic again. I wonder how that can work in the modern world, not least internally in the EU.

They won`t be able to prevent that. I sense that governments are coming to realise that this is all about herd immunity whilst keeping hospitals within capacity. A tricky thing to finesse.
    German deaths are an order of magnitude below Italian and Spanish deaths. Italy, Spain, France and the UK may acquire a degree of herd immunity, but Germany isn't on course to do that.
    What exactly do fatalities have to do with immunity? Deceased=Immune?

It's about infected+recovered. Germany has identified 100k cases. Most will survive and recover. UK has identified 50k so far. By that logic we're closer to herd immunity, but what really counts is, of course, the true number of cases. This can only be roughly estimated once antibody testing shows the number of infected+recovered cases.
    No, Germany has identified double cases at more than 4x that testing rate.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The Spurs decision was galling because Levy was paid £7 million, FSG haven't taken a salary or a penny out of the club*. That's a proud achievement for a decade of ownership.

The point is we know that Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley are scumbags. Liverpool are the holy than thou club.
    Nah, we're the club other fans mock for being poor, you know the ones that sing 'sign on' or 'feed the Scousers.'
    So why the u-turn?
    Because it looked bad and considering we've made profits of around £175 million quid in the last two seasons we have the resources to tough it out over the next few months.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

They won`t be able to prevent that. I sense that governments are coming to realise that this is all about herd immunity whilst keeping hospitals within capacity. A tricky thing to finesse.
    German deaths are an order of magnitude below Italian and Spanish deaths. Italy, Spain, France and the UK may acquire a degree of herd immunity, but Germany isn't on course to do that.

It's about infected+recovered. Germany has identified 100k cases. Most will survive and recover. UK has identified 50k so far. By that logic we're closer to herd immunity, but what really counts is, of course, the true number of cases. This can only be roughly estimated once antibody testing shows the number of infected+recovered cases.
    I don't think you guys are in disagreement. I think @matthiasfromhamburg is saying that the UK is further along the road to herd immunity, because there are a large number of people who have had the disease who have never been tested.

In Germany, by contrast, a larger portion of those with CV-19 have been identified due to much more widespread testing.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Andrew said:

It's about infected+recovered. Germany has identified 100k cases. Most will survive and recover. UK has identified 50k so far.

There was a paper the other day that suggested Germany's true level of symptomatic cases was around double detected, but the UK's was some gigantic amount more - 15x? don't remember exactly. In other words, 200k cases vs 750k.

Where though? There's every chance there will be herd immunity in London but not in the North West or other regions - so what do we do then?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Andrew said:

Where though? There's every chance there will be herd immunity in London but not in the North West or other regions - so what do we do then?
    Transfer spare ICU capacity to the regions.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I agree. The true number of infections may be higher in the UK because Germany was probably more successful in suppressing transmissions, so in effect you may be closer to herd immunity, despite fewer identified infections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Chris said:

Stocky said:

I don't think you guys are in disagreement. I think @matthiasfromhamburg is saying that the UK is further along the road to herd immunity, because there are a large number of people who have had the disease who have never been tested.

In Germany, by contrast, a larger portion of those with CV-19 have been identified due to much more widespread testing.
    Exactly, as I just replied to Andrew.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

My forecast is that 10-15% of Londoners will turn out to have antibodies.

It is worth remembering that this means that the next outbreak will naturally be slower, because that means that a much higher proportion of the population will be resistant.

(It's also worth remembering that some portion of people, I'd reckon between 5 and 25% will turn out to have a combination of genetic factors that make them significantly less likely to get the virus. Or at least to be more likely to get it asymptomatically.)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

How easy is that?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Andrew said:

How easy is that?
    Probably not very!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tlg86 said:

What's the point in castigating someone if you won't give credit if they change course?

Personally I didn't see the issue in them furloughing at 100% if they pay all taxes due - but for those who did see an issue shouldn't they be glad the decision was reversed?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Pulpstar said:

As for Draconian measures, well we're well into that game with our freedom of movement from our own houses restricted.
    Or are the people moving through Heathrow simply more important ?

Not so much people moving through Heathrow, perhaps, but truck drivers bringing in our food.

I was talking (at a safe distance, natch!) to our excellent fishmonger on Saturday, who told me that one of the supply problems is that a lot of farmed bass and bream comes from Turkey and Greece. They can send trucks over, but when they get back the drivers have to go into quarantine for 10 days, completely clobbering the supply chain. Extrapolate that to supplies from France, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands, and you've got a real problem.
    Isn't the cure for that to just send the trailer internationally? So a Greek unit takes the trailer to the border, drops it, hooks under an empty on its way back, and away he goes. Romanian unit backs under the trailer, drops it onto the German border... Three or four changes of unit later, our trailer is on a cross channel ferry, and a UK lorry fetches it in from Dover. This is fairly normal on ferries anyway (saves on paying for space on the ferry for the unit).
    The is very little infection risk from the trailer being dropped and re-lifted - if you had yards set up on the border (essentially just big concrete pads and some labour to hitch and uncouple the trailer, the whole thing could be set up so that the driver never has to even leave the cab. Providing he can make a return move at the same time, there is no extra milage, so the only costs are the logistics to get everything in the right place at the right time, and the changeover time.
  • Options

Andrew said:

I agree. The true number of infections may be higher in the UK because Germany was probably more successful in suppressing transmissions, so in effect you may be closer to herd immunity, despite fewer identified infections.
    Oh I see what you mean. My misunderstanding.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

What's the point in castigating someone if you won't give credit if they change course?

Personally I didn't see the issue in them furloughing at 100% if they pay all taxes due - but for those who did see an issue shouldn't they be glad the decision was reversed?
    Yes, they did the right thing in the end, well done them. Much more well done to those who got it right to begin with.

The tiny tots, Bournemouth, Newcastle and Norwich - not so good.
  • Options
    What we really need is a written constitution completely codified, which has a proper line of succession, and something similar to the XXV Amendment which deals with the incapacitation of the Prime Minister.

I'm quite prepared to write such a constitution pro bono publico during lockdown.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,700
    Talk that the French study on hydroxychloroquine might get retracted.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

Was that the study that said it was helpful, especially in combination with azythromyacin?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Can you actually physically speak if on a ventilator?

No.
    You can’t do anything at all.
    Sedated. Comatose.

Mind you, haven’t noticed any difference in way country being run last 48 hours.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    In Trump’s predecessors, for all their imperfections, I could sense the beat of a heart and see the glimmer of a soul. In him I can’t, and that fills me with a sorrow and a rage that I quite frankly don’t know what to do with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/opinion/trump-coronavirus-empathy.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    egg said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

No.
    Sedated. Comatose.

Mind you, haven’t noticed any difference in way country being run last 48 hours.
    I dunno, I got a text to say there are eggs in the local Sainsbury's.
  • Options
    egg said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

No.
    Sedated. Comatose.

That might not be true, apparently Priti is going to close the UK border, if that's the case then Raab has approved something Boris resisted.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    DavidL said:

Much better numbers for the UK again today. Maybe yesterday was a blip and we really have peaked.

As for Boris he needs a consultant that tells him to cut this running the country crap out, to rest as much as he possibly can and to concentrate on getting well. He does not want an unborn child to lose its father before it is even born

[deleted].
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Andrew said:

How easy is that?
    Probably not very!
    Well they are building regional versions of the Nightingales already. You could transfer some staff, if not exhausted, which many will be. Easiest would be the redirecting of equipment and supplies.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948

tlg86 said:

That reads as though written by a Leaver-pool fan!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,734
    edited April 2020
    rcs1000 said:

That's true of essentially everywhere.

Until very recently, you could get on a plane and go pretty much anywhere with zero checks.

That will change.

You see it now with China. You will see it in other areas. I don't doubt that if Scotland was largely CV-19 free, and the England was not, then you would see restrictions on people crossing the border. You'll certainly see it across Schengen.

My guess is that you'll see "two way" re-openings happen relatively quickly. If Luxembourg and Belgium both see CV-19 cases drop to near zero, then things will normalise there quite quickly.

I suspect a much bigger issue will be places like the US. Wyoming or North Dakota - where social distancing is a natural consequence of incredibly spread out populations - will probably not bother with restrictions. Which means they'll keep low levels of CV-19 infections, well, in perpetuity.

This means that a New York will never really be free of it either, because people will come from Wyoming on a regular basis.

And that means travel between the US and the UK will need to be restricted.
    I don't think of any of these potential travel restrictions will last very long, not more than 12 months at the most. People will forget about this virus surprisingly quickly, just as most people have never even heard of the 1918 or 1968 flu pandemics.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,505
    edited April 2020
    Oi don’t diss that idea by the Orange Order.

I mean when else are you going to get an opportunity to lob a bottle of piss at some bigots?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,002
    edited April 2020
    I love IT. May I present a perfect example of using technology to solve a problem in an over complex way while creating 4 million other problems at the same time.

https://twitter.com/SuB8u/status/1246805987870138369

Yes you and everyone else can now use your phone to control this lift

As for a sane solution use a pen or your elbow.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There is a Freddie Mercury documentary made by channel 5 that has bits of acting in it. One scene has Freddie telling his Irish boyfriend, Jim, that he has AIDS by saying ‘I’ve got it’ a few times, to which Jim suggests getting a second opinion. When Covid-19 first came out, I kept doing impressions of both of them to my girlfriend every time I coughed or felt tired, although my Mercury is more Tim nice but Dim.

Laugh a minute, me!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Anecdotal. My German colleagues say that if you get symptoms you are not routinely tested.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Was that the study that said it was helpful, especially in combination with azythromyacin?
    Yes.
    For now, there’s very little conclusive evidence either way, and now it’s starting to get widely prescribed, it’s going to be relatively difficult to recruit patients for placebo controlled trials...
    (Also it seems usually to be used in combo with various other drugs, so the data is going to be very messy.)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436
    edited April 2020
    isam said:
    There's an MP destined for high office! And it is good to know Mrs C is making good use of all the money she has taken off me.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    dixiedean said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Thought it was up to the Lander which restrictions are in place and which not. They locked down at different times and have different advice.
    Incidentally my friend rhwrehas been diagnosed with bronchitis. Discovered they had unknowingly had contact with someone from N Italy. Called GP at 5pm to inform them. Test arranged for tomorrow morning.
    The ultimate decision is up to the states (Länder) but the federal government is giving "very strong" guidance to the states.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,303
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

No.
    Because you are sedated, so the machine can breathe for you.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,473
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    For now, there’s very little conclusive evidence either way, and now it’s starting to get widely prescribed, it’s going to be relatively difficult to recruit patients for placebo controlled trials...
    (Also it seems usually to be used in combo with various other drugs, so the data is going to be very messy.)
    Why would it be 'retracted'? It was a piece of research, it drew its conclusions, with whatever caveats the researchers felt were necessary at the time, it can be superceded or disputed by new research, what's the issue?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

First again.

But Boris is in hospital, apart from a story for the sake of it why should Raab be talking to someone who should be resting to get better.

They are probably WhatsApping
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Anecdotal. My German colleagues say that if you get symptoms you are not routinely tested.

Getting any kind of symptoms, of any degree of severity, is, on its own, not automatically considered to be a sufficient reason to administer a test.
    It will depend on specific symptoms, or combination of several of them, their degree of severity, plus geographical indicators (elevated levels of community transmission) or specific circumstances like indication of contact to infectious cases via contact tracing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    Why would it be 'retracted'? It was a piece of research, it drew its conclusions, with whatever caveats the researchers felt were necessary at the time, it can be superceded or disputed by new research, what's the issue?
    It was published without peer review. Indeed most COVID19 research is, so needs to be approached with a critical mind. So not the Donald...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    Jesus.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Like mysticrose (yes, yes) I have a deep foreboding about Boris. The narrative of this plague demands that a king is sacrificed, to propitiate the angry gods, in order that the tribe is saved. I hope I am wrong

Have you got a spare persona you could offer?
  • Options
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    In personal news - my son still has a rough old cough but the aches, fever and headache have passed.

I am aware from other posters reports on their symptoms that this may hit him in waves.

But for now at least, things appear to improving for him.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    Boris Johnson in intensive care.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Just overheard my husband saying that the PM has been taken to ICU...
  • Options

oh fuck
  • Options
    Boris in icu
  • Options

Now Raab will surely take over.
  • Options
    Oh dear.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Like mysticrose (yes, yes) I have a deep foreboding about Boris. The narrative of this plague demands that a king is sacrificed, to propitiate the angry gods, in order that the tribe is saved. I hope I am wrong

Great timing with this... :(
  • Options
    This is bad.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    I realise that it won't be a controlled trial, but can a doctor not prescribe a placebo? WHat are the ethical and legal situation?

Is it legal to say "This is hydroxychloroquine" when a placebo is being prescribed?
    Is it legal when a patient asks specifically for hydroxychloroquine for a doctor to say "Here's your prescription" which actually says little sugar pill in Latin.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    Oh bloody hell. This sounds really bad.

And it doesn’t sound as though the PM’s too healthy either.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    It was published without peer review. Indeed most COVID19 research is, so needs to be approached with a critical mind. So not the Donald...
    more here: https://retractionwatch.com/2020/04/06/hydroxychlorine-covid-19-study-did-not-meet-publishing-societys-expected-standard/
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

Isn't that what the Irish were known for? Ritually sacrificing their king when the crop failed, the cattle died or the people got ill?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Oh my God, poor Boris. I’m sure this has affected much more than I would have thought.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    ydoethur said:

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck....
  • Options
    What was it I said earlier, about never believing anything until it’s been officially denied?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    ydoethur said:

The press knew today.....

• Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    Therein lying the issue. Because Donald Trump praised it, it's become an act of religious conviction for all right thinking people to piss on it. A Democrat Governor has even 'banned' it. Let Doctors prescribe it if they think it will be useful, they're professionals.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Fuck.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Horrible news about the PM. I may be misremembering here (and very much hope that I am), but intensive care survival rates have been reported to be relatively low, haven't they?
  • Options
    Boris Johnson was moved into intensive care at 7pm this evening after his condition worsened over the course of this afternoon

The PM asked Dominic Raab to deputise for him before he moved

He remains conscious but has been removed to intensive care in case he needs a ventilator
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    I realise that it won't be a controlled trial, but can a doctor not prescribe a placebo? WHat are the ethical and legal situation?

Is it legal to say "This is hydroxychloroquine" when a placebo is being prescribed?
    Is it legal when a patient asks specifically for hydroxychloroquine for a doctor to say "Here's your prescription" which actually says little sugar pill in Latin.
    A double masked randomised trial is ethical if done correctly. Indeed it is arguable that not doing an RCT is unethical.

• Options
    Floater said:

In personal news - my son still has a rough old cough but the aches, fever and headache have passed.

I am aware from other posters reports on their symptoms that this may hit him in waves.

But for now at least, things appear to improving for him.

Long may that continue.

Indeed, may it continue until he is completely recovered.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Horrible news about the PM. I may be misremembering here (and very much hope that I am), but intensive care survival rates have been reported to be relatively low, haven't they?

a coin toss I think - or is that if he needs a ventilator?
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Denmark will be re-opening nurseries and primary age schooling after Easter - possible reopening of universities from 10 May with other restrictions maintained into August - government says there is definitely not a herd immunity strategy as it explains how it’s strategy will aim to achieve herd immunity! Mette F is great though and did her best ‘firm governess’ voice today.
  • Options

Ball park 50/50 if he gets ventilated. Better if not needing ventilation, and having CPAP etc.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
    Any number of possible reasons.
    Like most stuff coming out at the moment, the paper appear online as a preprint which hadn’t gone through the peer review process. It might not meet the normal standards for publication.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

Ball park 50/50 if he gets ventilated. Better if not needing ventilation, and having CPAP etc.
    And only around one in ten (admitted) get tubed ?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

No...it's much better than 50/50..St Thomas' is the best place for him in the UK...

I knew how he was today...obviously couldn't say here....

But...for coming out on Thursday and clapping so vigerously for the NHS when he was so unwell...Boris you have to pull through comrade. Your country needs you.....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

No.
    Only if you are intubated. A face mask with oxygen can be called a “ventilator”
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Jonathan said:

Anecdote. From my contact. Symptoms alone no test. Symptoms plus known contact. Test within 24 hours. Again. It is very decentralised so may depend on local health authority. Whichever. They are clearly testing. They are also seeing more success.
    Correlation does not equal causation
    But....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,187

Oi don’t diss that idea by the Orange Order.

I mean when else are you going to get an opportunity to lob a bottle of piss at some bigots?
    I'd worry about the 100 they'd throw back.
This discussion has been closed.