Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories move up 5pc in first full voting intention poll sinc

13»

Comments

• Options

There are lots of MPs with safe seats who would do exactly that, and would make the sort of comparability and national interest arguments ("MPs are 1 hundred thousandths of the population and it's important we get the best people to run the country", "it's much less than [outrageous example] X" etc.) that we've seen here as well. There is a case that can be made, as for almost any other profession or trade, but in almost no other profession or trade do the people with an interest make the final decision.

A lot of people set their own rates, but they do it on an individual basis rather than behalf of the whole profession, and it's up to their customers whether to hire them at that rate. The way to do that here would be that you'd submit your required salary along with your nomination, and it would be printed on the ballot paper next to your name.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

So regardless of the reduced tax take, Kinnock says push top rate of income tax rate back to 50%. Gesture politics trumps realism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25289743

LATEST:A future Labour government should reintroduce 50% top rate of income tax, former Labour leader Lord Kinnock says

What rate of income tax did Kinnock pay when he was an EU commissioner on a six-figure (£s) salary ?

• Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited December 2013

Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Bob, there's a suggestion reliability could be the worse it's been for several years in 2014. Safety cars, number of classified finishers and the like could be good betting markets. Also, with engines/power trains becoming more differentiated than has recently been the case we might see a divergence between qualifying and race pace, due to raw power and efficiency.

Mr Dancer,

May I ask that you refer to me as Swiss_Bob, it's just that I was confused by an earlier post that I thought referenced Mr Smithson's son, or maybe me, I couldn't tell.

Yes, the change in engineering could give good value but I feel F1 is a bit like football, one goal and it's all over.

Cricket gives great value, even if you don't like it the number of times I've seen teams go out to 50 to 70-1 and then win is quite something.

Rugby, both codes is also quite good, tennis as well but it is too boring for me.

SA 1.09.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,196
    edited December 2013
    isam said:

No one is calling for an end to immigration..., The left like to pretend people are forwarding that argument as if it were the counter to their policy of uncontrolled immigration

Hardly anyone on the traditional left supports uncontrolled immigration, and no Labour government has had a policy of uncontrolled immigration.

I and rcs1000 (who isn't remotely left-wing) support uncontrolled immigration (although I'd want to phase it in gradually and not do it at all if only one developed country would do it) but hardly anyone agrees with us whether left, right or centre, sadly.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

So regardless of the reduced tax take, Kinnock says push top rate of income tax rate back to 50%. Gesture politics trumps realism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25289743

LATEST:A future Labour government should reintroduce 50% top rate of income tax, former Labour leader Lord Kinnock says

Good to see Labour will eradicate the budget deficit in one go with this, plus be able to spend it 10x over (see Bankers Bonus tax).... cautiously it will raise £100bn a year....

Ferrari's for all not just the few!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,411

Blustery in Scotland today I see.
    Why does he need the HoL when he has so many other carriages to chose from ?. As FM he's on about £130k plus expenses, so he's hardly on the breadline. he's a wealthy man by any account.
    As for your fascination with Cameron, bar the jealousy factor that he's fortunte in being well off is there any particular reason why his father leaving him his estate is more objectionable that any one else's parent doing the same ? Leaving your children your money and possessions is probably one of the oldest human activities going and crosses not just time, but class, creed , race and anything else you can think of.

Fascination with Cameron? Even on the basis that I post on here a lot less than you, a tiny proportion of them mention Cameron. On that ratio you appear to have an extremely unhealthy obsession with Salmond.
    If you want to be governed by a hierarchical, nostalgic plutocracy based on deference and privilege, carry on. I don't and will continue to point out the differences.

By all means point out the differences, but it would just be nice if there were some. All the heads of the main political parties are well off guys, and they all get access to the public purse and they all claim expenses and they've all been caught claiming expenses they shouldn't have. If your beef with Cameron is his money then there's a hell of a lot of other politicians you should have a go at too. Increasingly the problem in politics here and elsewhere is there are no plicies any more so just a default of the personalities to fill the void.

As for the second half of your post, the last time I heard that was at the students' union and the people who made it are now privileged plutocrats in a deferential hierrachy. The SNP will be no different it's a FF\DUP cross breed.
  • Options
    Ok, Swiss_Bob.

Whilst the last four seasons have the same driver/team champions, it's worth mentioning that two of those years (2010 and 2012) the competition for the driver's title was fierce. 2011 and 2013 were processional to at least some degree.

I rather like the tennis scoring system.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited December 2013

Ok, Swiss_Bob.

Whilst the last four seasons have the same driver/team champions, it's worth mentioning that two of those years (2010 and 2012) the competition for the driver's title was fierce. 2011 and 2013 were processional to at least some degree.

I rather like the tennis scoring system.

I do too.

Easy to make money. Pick a match with evenly matched contestants, quarter finals and above of any major tournament. At the end of each game (favourite serving) the favourite's odds will have shortened and the non-favourite's lengthened, bet on the non-favourite, they will most times win their game, at the end of the game close your position (cash out), rinse, repeat. Warning, first three sets only :-) You could do both sides but you will wear your fingers out and probably have a coronary trying to keep up.
  • Options

Why does he need the HoL when he has so many other carriages to chose from ?. As FM he's on about £130k plus expenses, so he's hardly on the breadline. he's a wealthy man by any account.
    As for your fascination with Cameron, bar the jealousy factor that he's fortunte in being well off is there any particular reason why his father leaving him his estate is more objectionable that any one else's parent doing the same ? Leaving your children your money and possessions is probably one of the oldest human activities going and crosses not just time, but class, creed , race and anything else you can think of.

Fascination with Cameron? Even on the basis that I post on here a lot less than you, a tiny proportion of them mention Cameron. On that ratio you appear to have an extremely unhealthy obsession with Salmond.
    If you want to be governed by a hierarchical, nostalgic plutocracy based on deference and privilege, carry on. I don't and will continue to point out the differences.

By all means point out the differences, but it would just be nice if there were some. All the heads of the main political parties are well off guys, and they all get access to the public purse and they all claim expenses and they've all been caught claiming expenses they shouldn't have. If your beef with Cameron is his money then there's a hell of a lot of other politicians you should have a go at too. Increasingly the problem in politics here and elsewhere is there are no plicies any more so just a default of the personalities to fill the void.

As for the second half of your post, the last time I heard that was at the students' union and the people who made it are now privileged plutocrats in a deferential hierrachy. The SNP will be no different it's a FF\DUP cross breed.

All politicians are the same - ☑
    It's not fair picking on Tories - ☑
    To do so is just student union politics - ☑
    Laboured Irish political comparison - ☑

Kudos for sticking with the (well) tried and trusted arguments!

• Options
    Did I forget to add SA 1.01?
  • Options
    More slavery/human trafficking:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25290687
  • Options

All politicians are the same - ☑
    It's not fair picking on Tories - ☑
    To do so is just student union politics - ☑
    Laboured Irish political comparison - ☑

Kudos for sticking with the (well) tried and trusted arguments!

Sorry divvie were you more comfortable with your millionaire is better than everyone else's ?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,537

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

Off topic, but that 11% MP payrise is pure madness at the present time. I appreciate that other benefits might change, but now is not the time.

There is a discussion to be had on what renumeration, pension, expenses and booting-out-of-a-job payoff they get, but, IPSA have lost the plot if they think the general public are going to take the likes of Dorries, Abbott, other no mark back benchers, and the PPE elite on both front benches raking in at least another seven and a half grand lying down.

I've had 2% in the last 5 years.
    IPSA will do morale for striking public sector workers a power of good, if they carry this out.

I know the convention is that the parties don't whip votes on pay and rations.

But I think that Cameron should have a 3 line whip against this proposal. It will piss off his backbenchers, and I know that is a risk, but equally I suspect those that will be really upset are the Cameron-haters anyway.

I suspect that it would look very good to the public.

(as an aside, WTF haven't they replaced the pension scheme with a direct contribution scheme. It's outrageous that they still have a final salary approach. Don't care how much they have to pay out of wages. The state should not be underwriting a comfortable life for MPs for the rest of their lives).
    The problem with this is that any rise of MP's salaries will be unpopular.

The expenses scandal arose because in the 80's Thatcher and her Minister, Moore, ducked a similar issue and allowed the Expenses backdoor route. 20 years later it came to bite everyone big time.

Basically, what we are saying is that unless someone is very rich or is prepared to earn far less than some of them are capable of earning, they should not become an MP.

What did an MP earn in 1980 vs a GP, say ? What do they earn now ?
    Comparatives are not the right ways forward: they have been key driver of executive salaries.

Pay restraint in the 80s was not the issue - it was (a) the backdoor and (b) abuse by this generation of MPs of the backdoor.

I would go for a 2 year pay freeze and then, in perpetuity, tie it to the increase in average wages. If I could get away with it, I'd say zero rise if the deficit is >2% of GDP because they are failing in their job to keep the executive in check
    On form today , Charles. It is clearly crazy to consider such a large increase given what is happening in the real world. Unfortunately the MP's will be knocking each other over to get it.
    SNP members are notoriously the most extravagent of all MPs in their lavish expenses claims. I can't imagine your laddies turning their snouts up from the trough.

Liar
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Have the SNP said what pay they think politicians should get in an independent Scotland?

They will get what they currently have , less than Westminster and no plans for 11% increase.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Here we go. Queue of independently wealthy MPs and people with ministerial salaries line up to say they won't take a pay rise.

That doesn't include Alex Salmond of course. Oh, wait...

You forgot to add he is not an MP Scott, doh, any lie does for a Tory though.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

You don't think Salmond isn't worth a few million himself ?

I have no idea. However we can be sure not one iota of his wealth is inherited, and that it won't be further inflated by embarkation on the British establishment gravy train.

he's already on the british establishment gravy train and has been for quite some time.

And re inherited wealth, are you telling me no-one leaves money to their kids in Scotland ? Will you be leaving all you cash to the SNP or a cats' home when you die instead of any of your relatives ?
    Really? He and other members of the SNP have refused to enter at least one of the carriages on the gravy train, the HoL with all the lucrative baubles that follow.

Salmond's father's still alive (despite the wishes of those nice Unionist types), so I doubt any inheritance has come Eck's way. If and when it does I doubt it'll be even a fraction of the Cameron family tax haven millions.
    If SNP's got a problem with inherited wealth , maybe they should transfer this money to the Scottish NHS ;

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/jun/20/edwin-morgan-leaves-snp-1m-in-will

It seems to be you twits that have the issue, Salmond has not inherited a penny, unlike the Tory Cabinet. You tossers do not like self made men being much better than your lot who needed patronage to get where they are. He has his money through talent.
  • Options

Search engine in danger of overheating today Monica?

Telegraph - boing!
    Scotsman - boing!
    Daily Record - boing!

Here's a wee tip for you, you can shorten links at http://tinyurl.com/
    This a) stops you from splattering your posts with enormously long urls, and b) hides your transparently Unionist sources.

LOL, Monica has used a long list of toilet paper manufacturers to try and prove her fatuous point
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    malcolmg said:

I have no idea. However we can be sure not one iota of his wealth is inherited, and that it won't be further inflated by embarkation on the British establishment gravy train.

he's already on the british establishment gravy train and has been for quite some time.

And re inherited wealth, are you telling me no-one leaves money to their kids in Scotland ? Will you be leaving all you cash to the SNP or a cats' home when you die instead of any of your relatives ?
    Really? He and other members of the SNP have refused to enter at least one of the carriages on the gravy train, the HoL with all the lucrative baubles that follow.

Salmond's father's still alive (despite the wishes of those nice Unionist types), so I doubt any inheritance has come Eck's way. If and when it does I doubt it'll be even a fraction of the Cameron family tax haven millions.
    If SNP's got a problem with inherited wealth , maybe they should transfer this money to the Scottish NHS ;

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/jun/20/edwin-morgan-leaves-snp-1m-in-will

It seems to be you twits that have the issue, Salmond has not inherited a penny, unlike the Tory Cabinet. You tossers do not like self made men being much better than your lot who needed patronage to get where they are. He has his money through talent.
    malc, please explain, what's the problem with people inheriting money ? Are you saying lawyers in Scotland are forbidden to write wills ? Will nobody in your family inherit your house ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

It seems to be you twats that have the issue, Salmond has not inherited a penny, unlike the Tory Cabinet. You tossers do not like self made men being much better than your lot who needed patronage to get where they are. He has his money through talent.
    malc, please explain, what's the problem with people inheriting money ? Are you saying lawyers in Scotland are forbidden to write wills ? Will nobody in your family inherit your house ?
    Alan, LOL, the building society will get mine. No harm people inheriting money but do have issues with eth Westminster troughers who just cannot hide filling their boots at every turn. Cameron and his "we are all in it together" , but I will take that 11% and double pension thanks , whilst I give the plebs 0% because we are skint.

ps , I sent you a couple of e-mails, bit rambling
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,254
    Swiss_Bob said:

Did I forget to add SA 1.01?

Are you advising a back or a lay ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malc

It seems to be you twats that have the issue, Salmond has not inherited a penny, unlike the Tory Cabinet. You tossers do not like self made men being much better than your lot who needed patronage to get where they are. He has his money through talent.
    Alan, LOL, the building society will get mine. No harm people inheriting money but do have issues with eth Westminster troughers who just cannot hide filling their boots at every turn. Cameron and his "we are all in it together" , but I will take that 11% and double pension thanks , whilst I give the plebs 0% because we are skint.

ps , I sent you a couple of e-mails, bit rambling
    malc, yes got them and am inclined to agree. We're all off the boil a bit atm, the last week of Mandela\Thatcher twaddle was just boring. I think the problem is things won't really pick up until the New Year when the Euros and Indyref will at least add a bit of excitement back into the political scene.

With the GE being fixed and everyone trying not to drop a clanger before the campaign we're going through a period of stale politics. Hence no real policies and everything is becoming personality based. In the run up to the holidays PB should probably drop policitcs completely and do something more communcal like best ever films or worst things we've ever done stories. At least we might get a few laughs along the way and drag in a few more lurkers.
  • Options
    New Thread
This discussion has been closed.