Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My bets over the past couple of days – Ed Davey and Matt Hanco

SystemSystem Posts: 12,054
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My bets over the past couple of days – Ed Davey and Matt Hancock

I understand that the LD leadership contest to find a successor to Jo Swinson will take place in May though, clearly, there will be nothing like the level of hustings meetings that we’d normally see.I understand that the LD leadership contest to find a successor to Jo Swinson will take place in May though, clearly, there will be nothing like the level of hustings meetings that we’d normally see.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,603
    edited March 2020
    2nd time I've said me and Mrs BJ will not be able to leave chez BJO for 4 months and hoping TSE and Pulpstar can bring food
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    Not sure about Hancock. He’s looking pretty shell shocked. Hardly surprising but maybe not tough enough? Davey looks and sounds like an adult. In serious times that is an asset.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    Different font? Weird.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,603
    DavidL said:

Not sure about Hancock. He’s looking pretty shell shocked. Hardly surprising but maybe not tough enough? Davey looks and sounds like an adult. In serious times that is an asset.

Davey on the road again
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    IshmaelZ said:

Hancock should have a daily slot addressing the nation for, oooh, 30 minutes?

That would cheer up the 70 somethings!
    They could call it Matt’s Minutes
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    DavidL said:

Everyone would in this situation. It's about how quickly they snap out.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Er, wtf? Is there some cultural reference that I'm missing?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    Mail's side bar of shame now seems to feature a lot of celebs who think they may be ill.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539

I have no idea. It feels a bit Samuel Beckett to me.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207

2nd time I've said me and Mrs BJ will not be able to leave chez BJO for 4 months and hoping TSE and Pulpstar can bring food

Stay safe big John - its gonna be a bumpy ride for a while
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644

You recognise who it is, I presume?
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

You recognise who it is, I presume?
    Is Malcolm up? If not can I be the one to proclaim them as three useless donkeys?
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1239681468999360514

Strewth, have we actually been hit by The Event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28o6fJda1c

There'd genuinely be some logic to putting extra light entertainment on the box now we're all cooped up, watching 24/7 news coverage of COVID-19 is driving me potty, and lots people I know are being completely disoriented by the lack of sport to watch or listen to, which isn't just a distraction but provides a kind of backdrop and structured pattern to the week. I think the government should have a think - admittedly there's plenty on its plate at the moment - with some sport and entertainment chiefs to see what could be served up to keep us happy, on a bread and circus basis. Suspect it will be a good year for e-sports.

Incidentally, Mitchell and Webb called the loo roll issue right, too.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264

https://twitter.com /hendopolis/status/1239681468999360514

Strewth, have we actually been hit by The Event?

https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=l28o6fJda1c

There'd genuinely be some logic to putting extra light entertainment on the box now we're all cooped up, watching 24/7 news coverage of COVID-19 is driving me potty, and lots people I know are being completely disoriented by the lack of sport to watch or listen to, which isn't just a distraction but provides a kind of backdrop and structured pattern to the week. I think the government should have a think - admittedly there's plenty on its plate at the moment - with some sport and entertainment chiefs to see what could be served up to keep us happy, on a bread and circus basis. Suspect it will be a good year for e-sports.

Incidentally, Mitchell and Webb called the loo roll issue right, too.

Haha this is surreal. Everyone stay inside!
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    Ruh roh the British had this genius plan involving a tub and a bucket with a hole in it but they just noticed the tub is like 200 times the size of the bucket

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths?fbclid=IwAR2vpJQU6QIRer6fqirO5vsaLEWDnqoM-2A7_fRI9yAPnHWWjD6_iijrA8Y
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357
    On topic, Layla Moran doesn't have a chance if my LibDem friends are anything to go by. I've backed Ed Davey for a small amount but he's looking a bit grim so I'm now backing Daisy Cooper. If there are hustings and she gets more exposure, she's definitely a goer.
    edited March 2020
    Worth reading the official guidance for "older people and vulnerable adults":

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

I notice lots of discussions on here and elsewhere about "the oldies", i.e. 70+, facing a more extensive lockdown for some time, as well as a precautionary approach to pregnant women. But the list of medical conditions who are also counted in the vulnerable group is also long, roughly summarised as "anyone who gets told on medical grounds that they need to take an annual flu shot". It includes:
    - chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    - chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    - chronic kidney disease
    - chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    - chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
    diabetes
    - problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
    - a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
    - being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
    That's a long list and must cover a quite substantial number of under-70. I did think this was covered quite clearly in news broadcasts though I'm not sure everyone who is on the list realises it - "if you are medically advised to get a flu jab" is a good short-hand but then, a lot of people who ought to get their flu jab don't seem to do so (just looking at older people, the UK does very well compared to other nations but it's still below WHO targets).
    Something that's very important but I have not seen well-reported at all is the following additional advice for "very vulnerable" people. I have only noticed it on the government advice page itself, and not seen it in media reporting. Worth reading in case this applies to you...
    Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

- People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
    - People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
    - People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
    - People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
    - People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
    The task of reaching out to all these people next week sounds like it will be a big one. I received an email from my hospital care team today warning me I am in a vulnerable group and need to act accordingly, and I suspect I'm going to be on that "more stringent" advice list next week. After seeing that distressing C4 News report from a Cremona ICU I'm going to be playing things very safe for a while.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,409
    So the Dutch are employing the herd immunity strategy just as the UK drops it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    Andy_JS said:

So the Dutch are employing the herd immunity strategy just as the UK drops it.

The problem with the herd immunity strategy is that it potentially overwhelms the local health service. And even before it overwhelms it, you get forced into lockdown, because so many people are sick

That being said... there's been a lot of chatter about 75% (or so) of people with the disease being entirely asymptomatic. If that's true, then the path to herd immunity is somewhat easier.

For a start, we're not talking about 10% of people with CV-19 requiring hospitalisation, we're talking about 2.5%. (I.e. 25% symptomatic, of which one tenth require hospitalisation.)

That's a bit more manageable. If you can push the curve back, so that peak incidence is - say - 20% of people with the disease at any one time, then you're talking about 2.5% of 20%... which is still too much (0.5%), but the gap is narrower.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    @AlastairMeeks

Enjoyed that header PT, thanks. Great poem.

Had a blast of optimism yesterday. That has dissipated somewhat.

It seems now to be only a matter of HOW catastrophic this will be.

My ample stock of quilted loo roll (even if scented) will be scant consolation.
This discussion has been closed.