Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bookending the 20th Century: South Africa’s gifts to Humani

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bookending the 20th Century: South Africa’s gifts to Humanity

In ancient Rome, the passing of great leaders would be marked by their elevation to the status of gods.  While religion has moved on, the death of Nelson Mandela will no doubt see an equivalent secular process – and rightly so.  In captivity, his name motivated a movement; in office, it symbolised unity; in retirement, it became iconic; in death, the transformation to legendary status will become com…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    Interesting analysis Mr Herdson - Smuts' contribution is much overlooked. Interesting piece in the Spectator on Mandela:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/12/nelson-mandela-the-man-and-the-mask/
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    My favourite version of Nkosi Sikelel'i Afrika:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAIFZedFQ2w
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    tim said:

I assume linking Mandela to one of the architects of racial segregation in South Africa is some sort of joke?

If that is the case, then so was your suggestion of Gandhi as being one of the five greats on the previous thread. For one thing, note the evils of the Indian caste system and the untouchables. Then there is this in Wikipedia:
    He (Smuts) was not alone in these views. On 7 March 1908, Gandhi wrote in the Indian Opinion of his time in a South African prison: "Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilised—the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals."[44] On the subject of immigration in 1903, Gandhi commented in 1903: "We believe as much in the purity of race as we think they do... We believe also that the white race in South Africa should be the predominating race."[45] Gandhi protested repeatedly about the social classification of blacks with Indians in South Africa and described Indians as "undoubtedly infinitely superior to the Kaffirs".[46] Remarks such as these have led some to accuse Gandhi of racism.[47] It is worth noting though that the word Kaffir had a different connotation in Gandhi's time than its current day meaning.[48]
    Although Gandhi and Smuts were adversaries in many ways, they had a mutual respect and even admiration for each other. Before Gandhi returned to India in 1914, he presented General Jan Smuts with a pair of sandals made by himself. In 1939, Smuts, then prime minister, wrote an essay for a commemorative work compiled for Gandhi's 70th birthday and returned the sandals with the following message: "I have worn these sandals for many a summer, even though I may feel that I am not worthy to stand in the shoes of so great a man."[49]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Smuts#Smuts_and_segregation

As usual, the reality is much more complex than your one line posts make out.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    If so, let us pay tribute to Nelson Mandela, the last mortal to enter the modern Pantheon.

This is a dark and depressing morning.

I had £50 with my brother on Prince Philip dying first and I've had Morrissey for ages in the office Dead Pool.
  • Options
    The world had a series of great leaders in the 1980s and 1990s. All were flawed to varying degrees, but will be judged well by history:

The big four (in no particular order):

Mandela: for his reconciliation and forgiveness, and for starting the process of unifying the nation.

Reagan: for winning the cold war and forging increased security to the world, and bringing democracy to eastern Europe.

Thatcher: for providing a united front with Reagan, for reforming Britain, and for starting a political philosophy that is named after her and which has continued for 35 years through governments of all stripes.

Zhao Ziyang: people mentioned Deng Xiaoping last night. IMHO the true honours belongs to Zhao Ziyang. He was instrumental in setting China onto the economic road that has taken it back to greatness. Like all greats, he suffered: his sympathy for the Tiananmen Square protesters led to his being placed under house arrest for the rest of his life. An ex-colleague had his last speech displayed on the wall of his cubicle.

I bet some people disagree with at least one of these ...
  • Options
    tim said:

I assume linking Mandela to one of the architects of racial segregation in South Africa is some sort of joke?

Even great leaders work within the constraints they're given but they also seek to change those constraints and succeed to some extent in doing so. Blaming Smuts for the Afrikaaner's racism of the 1940s is like blaming Roosevelt for not introducing Civil Rights and tolerating the Jim Crow laws. As it was, Smuts 'lost' the 1948 because of his opposition to apartheid.

His record in reconciliation after the Boer War, however, and his efforts for peace in the conferences that created both the League of Nations and the UN (flawed though both might be, they can only be tools in the hands of politicians), combined with his service in both world wars - his opinion was thought so highly of that he was a member of the British cabinet in WWI, and he was a genuine option to replace Churchill as PM should the latter die during the conflict - mean that to my mind, he can legitimately sit with the very greatest that the 20th century produced.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Reagan did the groundwork, but George Bush Snr was POTUS at the time of the wall coming down and the Liberation of Eastern Europe.

The world had a series of great leaders in the 1980s and 1990s. All were flawed to varying degrees, but will be judged well by history:

Mandela: for his reconciliation and forgiveness, and for starting the process of unifying the nation.

Reagan: for winning the cold war and forging increased security to the world, and bringing democracy to eastern Europe.

Thatcher: for providing a united front with Reagan, for reforming Britain, and for starting a political philosophy that is named after her and which has continued for 35 years through governments of all stripes.

Zhao Ziyang: people mentioned Deng Xiaoping last night. IMHO the true honours belongs to Zhao Ziyang. He was instrumental in setting China onto the economic road that has taken it back to greatness. Like all greats, he suffered: his sympathy for the Tiananmen Square protesters led to his being placed under house arrest for the rest of his life. An ex-colleague had his last speech displayed on the wall of his cubicle.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Even great leaders work within the constraints they're given but they also seek to change those constraints and succeed to some extent in doing so. Blaming Smuts for the Afrikaaner's racism of the 1940s is like blaming Roosevelt for not introducing Civil Rights and tolerating the Jim Crow laws. As it was, Smuts 'lost' the 1948 because of his opposition to apartheid.

His record in reconciliation after the Boer War, however, and his efforts for peace in the conferences that created both the League of Nations and the UN (flawed though both might be, they can only be tools in the hands of politicians), combined with his service in both world wars - his opinion was thought so highly of that he was a member of the British cabinet in WWI, and he was a genuine option to replace Churchill as PM should the latter die during the conflict - mean that to my mind, he can legitimately sit with the very greatest that the 20th century produced.
    So it wasn't a joke, it was staggering ignorance.

Natives (Urban Areas) Act 1923 - Established segregation in the cities, forced blacks to carry special papers at all times to be allowed to stay in the cities.

Start there.
    You know nothing and pollute everything.
  • Options
    It is ridiculous to apply the standards of today to historical figures. Gandhi also supported racial segregation at the time, just wanted Indians to have higher status within the system.

I agree with DH that Smuts was the only South African political figure who could be considered a world figure, though clearly a distant second to Mandela.
    tim said:

tim said:

Natives (Urban Areas) Act 1923 - Established segregation in the cities, forced blacks to carry special papers at all times to be allowed to stay in the cities.

Start there.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    GeoffM said:

If so, let us pay tribute to Nelson Mandela, the last mortal to enter the modern Pantheon.

I've had Morrissey for ages in the office Dead Pool.

He's too opinionated to die - he'll still be saying its Thatcher's fault when he gets to 100.
  • Options
    tim said:

It is ridiculous to apply the standards of today to historical figures. Gandhi also supported racial segregation at the time, just wanted Indians to have higher status within the system.

I agree with DH that Smuts was the only South African political figure who could be considered a world figure, though clearly a distant second to Mandela.

tim said:

tim said:

Start there.
    Well if we're going to bracket a man who legislated for racial segregation with one who fought against it all his life simply because they came from the same country lets just boil it right down

@jonmacqueen: "RIP Nelson Mandela: you were like a big Lenny Henry" - Louis Walsh"

Maybe someone can do a thread on that.
    We are bracketing Mandela with a man who is much more complex than the one-dimensional figure you pretend he was.

If you had any intellectual rigour you would admit that Smuts - like any major figure who is around for decades - is a much deeper and complex figure than the one you represent. You have to look at the totality.

Do I find some of what he said and did reprehensible? Yes. But the same can be said for every major world leader. Look at Gandhi's comments and attitudes I linked to below.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Start there.
    Well if we're going to bracket a man who legislated for racial segregation with one who fought against it all his life simply because they came from the same country lets just boil it right down

@jonmacqueen: "RIP Nelson Mandela: you were like a big Lenny Henry" - Louis Walsh"

Maybe someone can do a thread on that.
    We are bracketing Mandela with a man who is much more complex than the one-dimensional figure you pretend he was.

If you had any intellectual rigour you would admit that Smuts - like any major figure who is around for decades - is a much deeper and complex figure than the one you represent. You have to look at the totality.

Do I find some of what he said and did reprehensible? Yes. But the same can be said for every major world leader. Look at Gandhi's comments and attitudes I linked to below.
    Still seems a curious decision to discuss him today
  • Options

Reagan did the groundwork, but George Bush Snr was POTUS at the time of the wall coming down and the Liberation of Eastern Europe.

Reagan had nothing to do with it. To the extent that any US president was responsible, it was Nixon.
  • Options
    Looking on the lighter side, I see Roger's prediction for the surprise YouGov poll lived up to his normal level of predictive performance and insight.
  • Options
    I'd have thought it would be better to judge greatness on actions throughout a life, rather than on what someone said at a moment in life. Smuts actively legislated for racial separation; Gandhi did not. He supported in writing at a stage when his life was not close to half way over. His subsequent years indicate he may have developed his thinking somewhat. Gandhi's espousal of non-violent resistance to minority domination is surely one of the most important political philosophies to have emerged in the 20th century.
  • Options

Reagan had nothing to do with it. To the extent that any US president was responsible, it was Nixon.
    Your thinking being?
  • Options
    Thatcher was a titan of British politics in the 20th century. Globally, though, she'd surely rank below the true greats with the likes of Kohl and Mitterand, beneath Gorbachev, who would be below Reagan and Deng.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    Two of the twentieth century's greatest dead in one year.

Mandela's passiing is sadi, but it hasn't made me cry like that of Thatcher's.

RIP MHT
    RIP NRM
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Thatcher was a titan of British politics in the 20th century. Globally, though, she'd surely rank below the true greats with the likes of Kohl and Mitterand, beneath Gorbachev, who would be below Reagan and Deng.

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.
  • Options
    tim said:

I'd have thought it would be better to judge greatness on actions throughout a life, rather than on what someone said at a moment in life. Smuts actively legislated for racial separation; Gandhi did not. He supported in writing at a stage when his life was not close to half way over. His subsequent years indicate he may have developed his thinking somewhat. Gandhi's espousal of non-violent resistance to minority domination is surely one of the most important political philosophies to have emerged in the 20th century.

Those fools seeking to justify Herdsons bizarre linkage should also look at the legislation Smuts passed in 1945 strengthening and extending his 1923 segregation laws

1945. NATIVE URBAN AREAS CONSOLIDATION ACT NO 25

In the early 1900s Fabian Society members advocated the ideal of a scientifically planned society and supported eugenics by way of sterilization. This is said to have influenced the passage of the Half-Caste Act, and its subsequent implementation in Australia, where children were systematically and forcibly removed from their parents, so that the British colonial regime could "protect" the Aborigine children from their parents
  • Options

You, Tim and Roger are surely PB's Three Stooges.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It is unfortunate that Margaret went first.

Her presence at Nelson's funeral would have been the final act of reconciliation.

I am sure Dave will do a good job, but it won't be quite the same.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Sad to hear of Mandela's passing.

A good piece by Mr. Herdson, and it was interesting to read of Jan Christian Smuts, who I'd never heard of before.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    As much as I admire Mandela, and I admire him greatly, I sincerely hope that we are not going to have these lamentations going on for days. If the BBC is anything to go by we are going to suffer Mandelitis for days until his body is buried.

I name four other great persons of the 20th century:

Churchill, for his Wisdom, Statesmanship and Foresight.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, for maneuvering the Japanese to attack the USA and so bring
    America into the war to fight Hitler (The greater menace).

Ronald Reagan, for Stewardship and his contribution to the downfall of the USSR.

Margaret Thatcher, for her contribution in saving Britain from itself (for a few years), and governing with close enemies all around her.

• Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

I am, but in terms of ending the Cold War and the reintegration of central and eastern European countries into the mainstream his role was as great, if not greater.

• Options

I can only apologise for not agreeing with you. If that makes me a stooge so be it!

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Sad to hear of Mandela's passing.

A good piece by Mr. Herdson, and it was interesting to read of Jan Christian Smuts, who I'd never heard of before.

Really MD, you have never heard of Smuts! Your history education is severely lacking; the funny thing is that he was a dead ringer for Baden-Powell, his opposite in the Boer War.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Curious thread. Think the linkage was ill judged. Mandela is unique. Imagine if Thatcher/Churchill/Roosevelt has spend decades in jail before becoming leader. His public poise and dignity are utterly remarkable.
  • Options

I can only apologise for not agreeing with you. If that makes me a stooge so be it!

It's not a case of you not agreeing with me; it's the comedic value of your opinions!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

On politicalbetting the only surprise is that he wasn't linked to Enoch Powell or Nick Griffin.
  • Options

It's not a case of you not agreeing with me; it's the comedic value of your opinions!

Fair enough. I am happy to be laughed at by someone such as yourself. It tells me that I am probably thinking along the right lines :-)

• Options
    I think David H is not attempting a Hagiography of Smuts, but as his title suggests bookending the century, and setting Mandelas life in context. Smuts was a democratic (albeit racially exclusive leader) and had to work in his own political environment. Gandhi gave him a pair of sandals that were handmade by himself as a gift when he left for India, and Smuts was grateful for the gift. Smuts was no ogre

Smuts actively reconciled the Afrikaaner and Uitlander peoples of South Africa after a very bitter war, and put a previously inward looking country on the world stage. It was in Smuts South Africa that Mandela had a Christian mission education. Mandelas attitude to peace and reconcilliation arose out of this context.

South Africa is a fascinating place to visit, but not one without challenges.
  • Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

I am, but in terms of ending the Cold War and the reintegration of central and eastern European countries into the mainstream his role was as great, if not greater.

Mitterand did diddly squat to help win the cold war ( France wasn't in NATOs integrated structure ). By the time the wall fell he was having to co-habit with a RPR Parliament and since he couldn't do much spent his time building monuments in Paris. I struggle to think of a single thing he did to reintegrate Europe in his last term.

Mitterrand was a very successful machine politician who started under the Vichy government and ended up a socialist. But beyond being an example of lean and hungry politics what really is his legacy ? A pyramid at the Louvre and he helped launch Le Pen's Front Nationale.
  • Options

Fair enough. I am happy to be laughed at by someone such as yourself. It tells me that I am probably thinking along the right lines :-)

"someone such as yourself."

Lol.

Remember our conversation about McBride before his book came out?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

Those fools seeking to justify Herdsons bizarre linkage should also look at the legislation Smuts passed in 1945 strengthening and extending his 1923 segregation laws

1945. NATIVE URBAN AREAS CONSOLIDATION ACT NO 25
    tim

It is specious to claim that David's comparison of Mandela to Smuts is flawed because of the passing of a couple of acts.

Margaret's legacy is not destroyed by the Poll Tax, nor will be Dave's by the spare room subsidy,

Leaders can become great by being a moral beacon and uniting figurehead. Politicians have to to get their hands dirty. It is the combination of both roles that makes for complex retrospective appraisal.

• Options
    Mr. K, I know, modern history is no strong point of mine.
  • Options
    A great and good man has gone - which is sad.

His forgiveness and honesty set him apart. A tragic shame that little or none of his greatness seems to have rubbed off on his successors.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Patrick.

One wonders at what will happen when the ANC no longer wins elections on cruise control.
  • Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Mitterand did diddly squat to help win the cold war ( France wasn't in NATOs integrated structure ). By the time the wall fell he was having to co-habit with a RPR Parliament and since he couldn't do much spent his time building monuments in Paris. I struggle to think of a single thing he did to reintegrate Europe in his last term.

Mitterrand was a very successful machine politician who started under the Vichy government and ended up a socialist. But beyond being an example of lean and hungry politics what really is his legacy ? A pyramid at the Louvre and he helped launch Le Pen's Front Nationale.

He did pretty much what Maggie did: lined up as a minor nuclear power behind the Americans. In terms of German unification his agreement was crucial at a point when Maggie was very wary. He was instrumental in developing the Frano-German alliance that dominated EU politics for 20+ years, and between 90 and 94 under his leadership France played a key role in the talks that saw the C&E states become EU member states.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, given the way the Franco-German alliance has led the EU into ever deeper integration and an ongoing (and still entirely unresolved) monetary crisis one might suspect that it's less of an achievement and more of a mistake.

Shared captaincy might sound good for the two involved, but if you run the ship aground it's not a great sign of success.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    It is sad Mandela has gone, it is a great pity that the squalid townships and appalling social conditions in S Africa, for most of the population,still exist
  • Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

He did pretty much what Maggie did: lined up as a minor nuclear power behind the Americans. In terms of German unification his agreement was crucial at a point when Maggie was very wary. He was instrumental in developing the Frano-German alliance that dominated EU politics for 20+ years, and between 90 and 94 under his leadership France played a key role in the talks that saw the C&E states become EU member states.

That's why there were US nuclear missiles based in France, US airbases in France, and why France was a major player in NATO.

Oh, hang on.
  • Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

That's why there were US nuclear missiles based in France, US airbases in France, and why France was a major player in NATO.

Oh, hang on.

As I was saying ...

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    edited December 2013
    I'm glad that we've got a thread on Mandela, even though I take a more critical view of Smuts. We all have our partisan heroes who advanced our causes at the expense of other people's causes. The interesting and almost unique feature of Mandela is his leadership in the practice of forgiveness and unity even with respect to people whom he had every reason to hate. Post-apartheid South Africa could easily have been a bloodbath and for all its faults it wasn't: that reflects remarkably well on the South African people to accept Mandela's leadership as well.

It's always tempting to be an iconoclast when everyone's grieving (I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but some will), but it's right to see him as quite exceptional, and we should perhaps leave it at that.
  • Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Oh, hang on.

As I was saying ...

Tell me about your support for McBride again?
  • Options

Mr. Observer, given the way the Franco-German alliance has led the EU into ever deeper integration and an ongoing (and still entirely unresolved) monetary crisis one might suspect that it's less of an achievement and more of a mistake.

Shared captaincy might sound good for the two involved, but if you run the ship aground it's not a great sign of success.

That may well be the case. My point is that internationally Mitterand, Thatcher and Kohl stand at a similar level.

• Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Oh, hang on.

As I was saying ...

What support of McBride? I have always, consistently and unequivocally, described him as low life scum.

• Options
    I see PB has descended into it's normal mode of demonising/praising the dead and fighting proxy wars over long gone black and white (in a moral sense) heroes and villians

Mandela, a man who did many great things.

And with that, I'm out....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

You have to be joking to try and put Thatcher up alongside Mandela, seriously seriously deluded.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Doesn't Smuts have a guest appearance in Zulu? I know I've seen him played once in a movie and there can't be many of them set during that time/place.

Mr. K, I know, modern history is no strong point of mine.

• Options
    tim said:

That may well be the case. My point is that internationally Mitterand, Thatcher and Kohl stand at a similar level.

Ataturk is miles ahead of any of those three

"Ataturk and Boris Johnson, Turkey's gifts to humanity"
    It is a wonder how grief clears distractions from the mind and let's it concentrate on life's fundamental truths.

• Options
    Would that be the Ataturk who burnt down Smyrna and massacred refugees? The one who expelled the ancient Pontine Greek and Assyrian Christian and Armenian communities?
    tim said:

By a PB Tory
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214

You could at least spell his name correctly.
  • Options
    tim said:

Oh please god almighty someone make it stop.
    Just
    Make
    It
    Stop

Says the person with most posts in the thread.....
  • Options
    An interesting piece Mr Herdson,- and befitting on such an momentous occasion as the passing of a truly great man, to lift our eyes from the daily routine of political naval gazing imho.
  • Options
    Guido will probably upset some pc PBers today.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

... Mandela is unique. Imagine if Thatcher/Churchill/Roosevelt has spend decades in jail before becoming leader. His public poise and dignity are utterly remarkable.

Indeed, and as has been rightly said many times, and as will no doubt be said many times more. And it does indeed bear repetition. It would have been easy to write a tribute piece saying essentially "Mandela was a top bloke", but I thought it might be more interesting, and hopefully more instructive, to take the opportunity to consider his life and achievements in the context of the handful of others who have a claim to be truly great leaders, in order to explore and maybe learn from the character and leadership aspects that made them great in their own way.

I don't apologise for choosing Smuts as the counterpoint. Apart from being more obscure than most, I think it would have been unfair to both men to pick Ghandi, for example, where their parallels were so close that it becomes difficult to talk of the achievements of one without apparently diminishing those of the other.
  • Options
    tim said:

Miterrand was to Rwanda what Hurd and Miterrand were to Bosnia

You could at least spell his name correctly. You and SO will eventually get there I suppose.
  • Options
    tim said:

"An Ipsos MORI snap poll carried out in the evening following the Autumn Statement shows that when asked whether they agree with Ed Balls that George Osborne is in denial about the cost of living crisis or with George Osborne that his long term plan for economic recovery is working, the public agree with Mr Balls over Mr Osborne by 40% to 24%. A quarter (27%) say they agree with neither."

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3309/Ipsos-MORI-Autumn-Statement-2013-Poll.aspx

La la la la la.

They are not listening tim. They are off squirrel watching.

All this rubbish about Thatcher is boke-inducing. A dreadfully divisive and bitter person, she created poison and injected it into public life. Just the opposite of Mandela.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Populus out early today

New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 38 (-2); Cons 34 (+1); LD 13 (+3); UKIP 7 (-2); Oth 8 (=)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

By a PB Tory
    I know a fair bit about Ataturk, and I think you are overplaying his hand. He was undoubtedly a good man, but his influence does not extend far outside Turkey.

The Ottoman Empire had been declining for a century. Ataturk's greatest legacy was preventing his country from falling further into chaos after WWI and the empire's defeat, and for resisting the great powers. He was the right man at the right time, and took advantage of the chaos.

Unusually for a military commander, he reformed his country and led it towards a relatively stable civilian life afterwards.

As I said earlier, all great world leaders have mixed records. Few leaders have so changed their countries for the better, but he was playing more on the national fields rather than regional or international. And the reason is simple: he had enough to do inside Turkey.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n17/perry-anderson/kemalism
  • Options
    Today the death of a Political Titan saved the probable poltical death of a Political pygmy
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Interesting points from MORI:

1. "Statement? Was there a statement?"

"Just over half (56%) said they saw, read or heard something about it on the news or online, while another 8% said they watched it in full. A third, 34%, hadn’t seen anything about it - and young people were much less likely to have seen anything about it than older people."

Actually that's quite a high level by modern standards. But it still shows how hard it is for ANYTHING in politics to break through

2. "It's not for me"

"Among those who do have a view, they are much more likely to think it will benefit rich people (47% think it was good for rich people, 5% bad) than poor people (14% good, 44% bad). Their initial reactions on the impact for people like themselves are also on balance negative – 42% think it was bad for people like them, compared with 15% who think it was good."

This is what usually happens with budgets and pseudo-budgets. People sometimes concede they might be OK for the country, but they look at their own lives, think "Has that helped me?" and say nah. But that's a bit more negative than usual.

I still think we'll be back with 6-point leads once things have settled.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    JohnO said:

Populus out early today

New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 38 (-2); Cons 34 (+1); LD 13 (+3); UKIP 7 (-2); Oth 8 (=)

Still a decent Lab lead - can the Cons claw it back - and keep it less than 5 on a regular basis ?
  • Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Oh, hang on.

As I was saying ...

What support of McBride? I have always, consistently and unequivocally, described him as low life scum.

I think you need to have your memory checked. Twice in a week it has failed you about things you have written in the past.

You may remember the long after-thread conversation (or as you may put it, 'exchange') we had before McBride's book was released. Then, when the serialisation started, you said that you were going to apologise to me.

I'm still waiting, although I'm far from hopeful.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    TGOHF said:

JohnO said:

Populus out early today

Still a decent Lab lead - can the Cons claw it back - and keep it less than 5 on a regular basis ?
    All the polls have been bouncing around MOE for months. There is nothing happening out there
  • Options
    Great news for a great British company.

I once had a cardboard model JCB 3CX I made displayed on the trailer (*) in their head office.

Less grandly, I later won a model 3CX that was signed by Noel Edmonds during a product launch. It's in the garage somewhere.

(*) The trailer was the first product Cyril made after splitting from the family company. It is therefore a piece of company history.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

JohnO said:

Populus out early today

All the polls have been bouncing around MOE for months. There is nothing happening out there
    Last night's yougov wasn't :D

Still there is always the cricket er...
  • Options
    Just checking in. Why are we comparing Mandela with Smuts? Very, very odd thread.
  • Options
    General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015
    Last nights
    vote share

#Labour 47.9% +1.1
    #UKIP 9.1% +7.2
    #CONS 9% -3.5
    #SNP 7.9% +1.6
    #LibDems 6.1% -1.4
    #Plaid 5.6% -1.3
    Oth 14.4% -3.7

On a poor night for UKIP - due to the nature of the areas - They still came above all other parties except Labour.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

JohnO said:

Populus out early today

Last night's yougov wasn't :D

Still there is always the cricket er...
    YouGov is a clear outlier - I wouldn't worry about it, and I say that in good faith.

The cricket is an effing disaster again - what's the betting we make this "pancake" track look like a Day 4 Headingley wicket when we try to bat on it?
  • Options
    Just had a bet on Oz to win 5-0 , 14-1 with Ladbrokes.

I reckon England are a bad session from the 2nd and 3rd wheel coming off.

• Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Just nonsense. FM was simply a machine politician whose legacy didn't change much bar the architecture of Paris. Kohl delivered german unification, your own post shows MT's time in govt still defines UK politics. Mitterrand simply presided over a France on a slow path to decline.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

That's a decent price. Tonight is so key to the series - if we save this Test we have a decent chance. If we lose it, we are surely done for?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

That's a decent price. Tonight is so key to the series - if we save this Test we have a decent chance. If we lose it, we are surely done for?
    It's not even a contest at the moment - England have won 1 session out of 6 days of cricket - they can't bowl em out and don't look like batting to save this test. England need a hero and nobody is stepping up to the plate.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sorry to say it but Alistair Cook is not a natural or strong leader. Oz may allow us to win one test. So I say a 4-1 victory for down-under will be the final result.

• Options
    Right.
    TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

It's not even a contest at the moment - England have won 1 session out of 6 days of cricket - they can't bowl em out and don't look like batting to save this test. England need a hero and nobody is stepping up to the plate.
    Dead right.
  • Options
    Off topic those Mori numbers on the Autumn Statement look bad for the government. The one saving grace for them is that the Statement itself barely registered with most people - but "work until you are 70" isn't a good look regardless of the rights and wrongs of it. I expect the pressure for giveaways to grow intensely now.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Populus out early today

Scottish split (+/- change from UK GE 2010); usual caveats etc.:

Lab 33% (-9)
    SNP 32% (+12)
    Con 20% (+4)
    LD 11% (-8)
    UKIP 2% (+1)
    Grn 1% (n/c)

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Online_VI_06-12-2013_BPC.pdf
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Any list of 20th century greats is of course hugely subjective, which is clearly why we love them especially on PB.

In a century that has been largely dominated by World War and genocide on an industrial scale I find myself drawn to only three hugely inspirational individuals that transcended military conflict, racial war and espoused peace, forgiveness and reconciliation :

Mahatma Gandhi .. Martin Luther King .. Nelson Mandela
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

I have to say I've just done the same...seems reasonable to me, England don't look like winning anything.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Off topic those Mori numbers on the Autumn Statement look bad for the government. The one saving grace for them is that the Statement itself barely registered with most people - but "work until you are 70" isn't a good look regardless of the rights and wrongs of it. I expect the pressure for giveaways to grow intensely now.

ya reckon ? usually any budget which is well received turns out to be bad news and vice versa.
    Too early to say on this one.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

ya reckon ? usually any budget which is well received turns out to be bad news and vice versa.
    Too early to say on this one.
    As I say it sank without trace so will probably have no impact either way
  • Options
    Populus - 2010 Lib Dems:

LD 46%
    Lab 34%
    Con 9%
    Grn 4%
    UKIP 4%
    SNP 1%
    oth 2%
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    God often moves in mysterious ways but his decision to call in Nelson Mandela on the day of George Osborne's Autumn Statement was not accidental.

Now we shall all be united in remembering where we were and what we were doing on the day the great man passed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Mitterand from fascism to socialism in 2 decades. His apologists wouldn't look took closely at his work for Petain or his role in repression in Algeria.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013
    Populus - 2010 Labour voters:

Lab 90%
    Con 4%
    Grn 1%
    LD 1%
    SNP 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%
  • Options

Populus - 2010 Lib Dems:

LD 46%
    Lab 34%
    Con 9%
    Grn 4%
    UKIP 4%
    SNP 1%
    oth 2%

Can you extract "didn't vote in 2010" from the Mori tables ? Would surely show a large Ukip surge ?
  • Options
    Populus - 2010 Conservatives:

Con 79%
    UKIP 10%
    Lab 7%
    LD 2%
    Grn 1%
    oth 1%
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Just a quick comment.

When I last met Mandela at his home, he was still fearful that South Africa would follow the way of other African newly-independent states without his stabilising hand. He tried to impress on his successors and his people that change had to be slow and orderly in order to obtain a better life for all and he was very fearful of a descent into a Zimbabwe situation.
  • Options
    Off topic, the FT zeroes in on a puzzle that is at the heart of Britain's problems and politics:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4b82f884-5dd1-11e3-b3e8-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz2mcf3HnYb

"The OBR’s best guess is that much of this productivity loss has been structural, rather than just a result of weak demand. The watchdog notes that productivity has continued to languish this year as growth has revived. And while it forecasts output per hour to start growing again next year, it does not predict rapid catch-up growth to regain the lost ground.

This is central to its belief that the economy’s growth potential is lower than it was expected to be before the crisis. By 2019, it believes the level of potential output will be 15 per cent lower than the level the Treasury had expected in March 2008 before the crisis hit.

That is one reason why the OBR thinks more of the government’s budget deficit is structural and is not going to disappear naturally as the economic cycle turns.

“The unexpected strength of private consumption this year has largely come from lower saving, not higher income,” it said. “Ultimately, productivity-driven growth in real earnings is necessary to sustain the recovery.” This will not start to happen properly until 2015, it believes.

The OBR also cautioned that policy makers can do little to resolve the “cost of living crisis”, as the Labour party has put it, without better productivity. “Policy measures cannot continually improve the terms of trade, taxes cannot be cut indefinitely and workers can only work so many more hours in a day,” the OBR said. “Productivity growth is the only sustainable source of real income growth in the long term.” "
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Just checking in. Why are we comparing Mandela with Smuts? Very, very odd thread.

I don't think we are - all Mr Herdson was pointing out was that at either end of the century South Africa produced two remarkable men whose major life work was peace and reconciliation, and without either South Africa would more closely resemble the numerous basket cases that plague that benighted continent. Both were remarkable in their time - and as we are nearer Mandela his achievements stand all the more prominently. After we have left the stage, history will take a more dispassionate view - hence last night's argie bargie over whether it was Peter Hain demonstrating outside South Africa House, or Margaret Thatcher telling F W de Klerk that the game was up that contributed more to the ending of apartheid......
  • Options
    Wonderful article, David.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Populus - 2010 Lib Dems:

LD 46%
    Lab 34%
    Con 9%
    Grn 4%
    UKIP 4%
    SNP 1%
    oth 2%

Can you extract "didn't vote in 2010" from the Mori tables ? Would surely show a large Ukip surge ?
    Can't find the link to the detailed data set.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited December 2013

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Oh, hang on.

As I was saying ...

I think you need to have your memory checked. Twice in a week it has failed you about things you have written in the past.

You may remember the long after-thread conversation (or as you may put it, 'exchange') we had before McBride's book was released. Then, when the serialisation started, you said that you were going to apologise to me.

I'm still waiting, although I'm far from hopeful.

I said I owed you an apology over underplaying the role of Ed Balls in what McBride did. I assumed that in itself that would serve as such. However, for the absence of doubt I humbly apologise to you for underestimating the role that Balls played in McBride's toxicity. Now you can apologise to me for insinuating that I have ever defended McBride or his actions in any way.

• Options

Mitterand ?

You must be hung over.

Just nonsense. FM was simply a machine politician whose legacy didn't change much bar the architecture of Paris. Kohl delivered german unification, your own post shows MT's time in govt still defines UK politics. Mitterrand simply presided over a France on a slow path to decline.

I disagree.

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

That's a great price, Cook looked petrified and if they get knocked over in Perth the atmosphere in Melbourne will turn them to jelly
    Oz 1.33 to win the series looking like free money too unfortunately.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Populus - 2010 Lib Dems:

LD 46%
    Lab 34%
    Con 9%
    Grn 4%
    UKIP 4%
    SNP 1%
    oth 2%

Can't find the link to the detailed data set.
    Mori poll was before the Autumn statement - the Balls repost surge not yet in ;)
This discussion has been closed.