Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Test post from Dirty Dicks

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Test post from Dirty Dicks

I’m at the PB gathering at Dirty Dicks where we’ve had a great turnout including a number who have travelled from as far as Manchester and Leeds to be here.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. W, I'm not sure a chap suffering a fit of exclamation marks should necessarily be attacking the sobriety of others.

In more important news, P3 of the Bahrain Grand Prix is tomorrow, as is qualifying.

Hope the attendees have a nice time.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Roger that Jack. But maybe OGH will exert a steadying influence.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Hope you're all having a jolly time!
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    SeaShantyIrish & Morris Dancer

Thanks for the comments lads. Believe it or not I didn't read any further details of names until about 6.30 tonight as the nature of my work often means Internet surfing is not viable.

Im only just home and have to pop out again for a short bit but I'll hopefully post later about some aspects of the investigation, why events from the outside and (relative) inside continued to point strongly to a possible jihadist threat as the likeliest line of inquiry and how subsequent events may end up proving some of those concerns to be justified.

I haven't had much time to read up on the two people in the case other than they appear to have Wahabbist group connections. The motivations still remain to be proven but it'll be an interesting one if its anything other than how it looks.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Morris_Dancer

"Mr. W, I'm not sure a chap suffering a fit of exclamation marks should necessarily be attacking the sobriety of others."

Twas a jealous observation rather than an attack !!
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Don't spill the drinks on the laptop.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Toms said:

I may only hope your comment is an affirmative response rather than a declaration of sexual intent !!

JackW said:

Toms said:

I may only hope your comment is an affirmative response rather than a declaration of sexual intent !!

Well it is called 'Dirty Dicks'...

I'll get my coat.
    SeanT said:

Appalling story in Times (££)

Hm, was he under 18 when he was sentenced. That might (partly) explain the duration.

tim said:

AAA status lost at DD's

now its Alcoholics Anonymous plus at DDs!
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Hm, was he under 18 when he was sentenced. That might (partly) explain the duration.

Nonetheless a man's sexuality is formed at 14, not 18. Pedophilia is incurable and intractable. This guy was clearly a dangerous and predatory pedo, from the get go.

The law, in this case, was an ass - and a dangerous ass, at that.

That is true, and I must say I am ignorant as to whether sentencing changes when you turn 16, or when you turn 18.
  • RobD said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Nonetheless a man's sexuality is formed at 14, not 18. Pedophilia is incurable and intractable. This guy was clearly a dangerous and predatory pedo, from the get go.

That is true, and I must say I am ignorant as to whether sentencing changes when you turn 16, or when you turn 18.

You can get away with almost anything until then. My good wife despairs sometimes.
  • Aha, And I thought the reason for the silence was that TSE would be at the One Direction concert!
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Apparently you cannot go on the sex offenders register if you are younger than 18 (says the Times).

Ridiculous. Sexuality begins at pubescence, not the age of majority. Sex crimes should be treated in that light. If we did that, a little girl might not have been raped.

Especially as the age of puberty is going down.
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    SeanT

How long will he be in prison,10 years max?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    edited April 2013
    test

hmm... no posts for 20 mins but no problem posting. Is everyone in the pub?
    Osborne goes to war about the FTT: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10006501/Britain-launches-legal-challenge-to-Financial-Transaction-Tax.html

Win win I would say. Get to pick another fight with the EU which may be of interest to UKIP waverers and also protect an essential UK national interest.
    edited April 2013
    ‘Is there anybody there?’ said the Traveller,
    Knocking on the moonlit door;
    And his horse in the silence champed the grasses
    Of the forest’s ferny floor:
    And a bird flew up out of the turret,
    Above the Traveller’s head:
    And he smote upon the door again a second time;
    ‘Is there anybody there?’ he said.
    But no one descended to the Traveller;
    No head from the leaf-fringed sill
    Leaned over and looked into his grey eyes,
    Where he stood perplexed and still."
    I'm here!
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Listening to Heifetz's 1935 recording of Bach's great Chaconne. Sometimes older is best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVXshbV-5FM
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Thatcher death party organiser made £150,000 on council house she bought under right to buy
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311559/Thatcher-death-party-organiser-150-000-council-home-bought-PM-s-right-buy-scheme.html
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DavidL said:

Osborne goes to war about the FTT: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10006501/Britain-launches-legal-challenge-to-Financial-Transaction-Tax.html

Win win I would say. Get to pick another fight with the EU which may be of interest to UKIP waverers and also protect an essential UK national interest.

UKIP are apparently having their best ever month for new membership applications.

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/325291316986658818

But if HMG don't win through on this FTT, even the Cameroons might consider themselves forced to advocate leaving the EU.
    'tis a quiet night.

Watched the extended version of Brian Blessed's Have I Got News For You stint. Glad I did, as I may well use the game of nipsy (possibly renamed) in a future book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipsy
    Boston: Inconsistency mean consistency

Much of the confusion as the days wore on was caused by people suggesting that it couldn't be a jihadist inspired (for many, read Al Qaeda) attack. I posted on Monday night why such a motivation couldn't be ruled out

Why ironically the speculations of why it couldn't be, may suggest that it was:

-The attack wasn't spectacular: It was, it just didnt quite go to plan.

-The attack was on an unlikely event: Exactly, under defended and full of crowds, it was also local to the two suspects

-There was no big claim: This is something that would not surprise the authorities at all. They are well aware that the global jihadists have massively decentralised their actions mainly because it has to be, its essentially tactical necessity and important to vary their approaches. Thus actual actions may not be subject to a central control, in fact they may be almost entirely home brewed and autonomous.

-There were not many people involved: The USA appears to have actually been relatively free from larger networks for some time. Thus to have one or two key actors rather than 4 or 5 is very consistent with the situation in the US in recent years. In short larger networks simply have not been able to organise in the US, at least that the authorities know of.

As a result the authorities would have seen the jihadist motivation as still a very strong possibility.

Is it a jihadist inspired motivation though in this case? It seems the logical course but I think thats still to come out. It does fit the picture that US authorities have nightmares over; the domestic, apparently unconnected, lilywhite.

Time, however, will tell where this one goes.

DavidL said:

UKIP are apparently having their best ever month for new membership applications.

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/325291316986658818

But if HMG don't win through on this FTT, even the Cameroons might consider themselves forced to advocate leaving the EU.
    I really think this is make or break for the UK. If they are really determined to ignore our interests to this extent the drive to leave will be very hard to resist. Cameron has already explained this in words of one syllable. It will be very interesting to see how Germany plays this when it comes to representations to the court.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The leader of Italy's centre-left alliance, Pier Luigi Bersani, has promised to step down once parliament elects a new president.

Mr Bersani announced the news to his Democratic Party (PD) after many centre-left MPs twice refused to back his preferred candidate for president."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22227426
    edited April 2013
    For those who like consistency: The Adam Gadahn message...

You may not know this guy, an American born and significant Al Qaeda figure who hangs out Pakistan.

A while ago this guy did the usual videos calling for followers to attack targets in their neighborhoods....

Interestingly he also mentioned a guy called Nidal Hassan, remember him? He was the US soldier who shot up an Army base in the US a while back with an apparently jihadist motivation. Hasan was painted in the video as an ideal, a man in an island of unbelievers who struck on his own initiative, without fear. In short, Gadahn was advocating a local autonomy message, don't wait for some central call, you don't need to go to Jihad camp,. you don't need training in the mountains. No sir, watch some videos, get tooled up and go make it happen in your community.

Hassan, however, was potentially not without certainly some ind of aspirational link, if not actual direction, from an external 3rd party.

Gadahn then goes on to describe 3 key characteristics of a good target:

They should choose a target
    -they know well,
    -is feasible to hit and
    -will have a major impact.

Hindsight is 20-20 but it'll be interesting to see if this gets raised later.
    @AndyJS

This man clearly has insufficient respect for the outcome of the PB competition. Positively shameful I say. Yet another black mark for the EU. They are coming thick and fast.
    It's quiet on here tonight...
    To add some context to April being UKIP's best ever month for new membership applications.

They reported having 22,000 members on 11th February

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/301002037699702784

24,000 members on 26th March

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/316632162289987584

and 25,000 members on 11th April.

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/322327897673191425
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Of course it's quiet - half the board is getting noisily sozzled at Dirty Dicks.

I wish I was there, but I had to come to the house in Hungary this weekend. I'm having a few drinks myself, and I've just smashed my record on Blackberry's wordmole game:88,404.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Apologies for missing the meet-up this year. We really ought to get one organised for the North of England one of these days.
  • Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited April 2013
    Just got home from DD's, good to catch up with everyone and many thanks to Fat Steve for arranging it all.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Got home a little earlier. Plenty of good fellowship at DD's and of course a few tipples.
    UKIP must be closing in on the LD membership number.
    edited April 2013
    AndyJS said:

Assuming the EU elections in 2014 will drive UKIP numbers higher, they might find themselves matching/passing the Conservatives by the 2015 general election.

EDIT
    Or perhaps not. I got a bit carried away there! :-)
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    Toms said:

Listening to Heifetz's 1935 recording of Bach's great Chaconne. Sometimes older is best.

Toms

A brave and welcome post to counterpoint the debauchery of the PBers at Dirty Dicks.

Brave too to claim it as the best. A piece of music which every violinist of note has recorded in the last century. What of Grumiaux, Oistrakh, Milstein, Stern, Perlman etc etc who all have their fans?

Anyway here is one of my favourites. Let's call it a great recording. Viktoria Mullova on the 1723 Jules Falk Stradivarius playing live at St. Nikolai Church, Leipzig.

Actually my favourite is her first recording on Phillips but this will do as YouTube didn't yield my first request.

I believe Mullova would have been recognised as one of great violinists of the 20th century had she been twenty years older and been able to flourish during the great age of classical music recordings. Instead she became famous for winning a Gold Medal at the International Tchaikovsky competition in 1982, then becoming one of last artists to defect from the USSR jumping her protectors in Helsinki during a concert tour the following year. She was granted asylum by the US.

She is now married to an Englishman and lives in Holland Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQcio8OLneg (prettier visuals)

Oh I have found her original Phillips recording so take your pick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ClFfVnw8o (prettier sound)
    edited April 2013
    AndyJS said:

LDs reported 49,000 members in December 2011.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/9451668/Liberal-Democrat-membership-plunges-by-25.html

During the Eastleigh by election, I think it was reported that a third of LD members live in London.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    AndyJS - Surely opens the way for Matteo Renzi to be next Italian PM
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,178
    Sorry I could not get to the UK this time... hopefully next. Enjoy!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited April 2013
    Got back from DDs a short while ago. Good to see everyone again, as well as several new faces! Thanks to Fat Steve for arranging the bash and also Mike and TSE for running the PB site!

Jack W, I just realised I forgot to "Jedi Mind-trick" TSE into revealing your real-life persona, so your secret is still safe!! :)
    edited April 2013
    Looks like the second Boston bomber has been found in a boat. Unofficial report is that, following the sounds of "muffled gunfire", he is now dead.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Sunil

Good to see you (and others) earlier and many thanks to Fat Steve for organising things (and to Mike and the team for keeping the show on the road).

In my next post I will reveal all the gossip that was disclosed tonight...
    Neil said:

Oops, I seem to have forgotten it all.
    edited April 2013
    Conflicting reports in Boston on whether second bomber is alive or dead. He is certainly "pinned down" as stated by Boston's Mayor.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited April 2013
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Oops, I seem to have forgotten it all.
    You forgot my awesome shoes?
    @TSE

I will have nightmares about those shoes. They are the fashion equivalent of a Crystal Swing single.
  • Neil said:

@TSE

I will have nightmares about those shoes. They are the fashion equivalent of a Crystal Swing single.

Just tweeted a picture of them just for you.

http://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/325399046216888320/photo/1
    Maybe they could pump some gas in there to get him alive.
    edited April 2013
    Older brother was apparently interviewed by the FBI a few years ago.

Combined with the fact that he created a YouTube playlist entitled "Terrorists" five months ago, this seems like a blunder by the authorities.
    AndyJS said:

he created a YouTube playlist entitled "Terrorists" five months ago

Bad as things were I think we can probably be thankful that he clearly wasnt the sharpest knife in the terrorist drawer.
    edited April 2013
    He's apparently hiding in a boat in the back garden of 67 Franklin Street, Watertown, MA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OnlyInBOS/status/325398341506723840/photos/null

I think we can safely say he's the most cornered person in history...
    edited April 2013
    AndyJS said:

He's apparently hiding in a boat in the back garden of 67 Franklin Street, Watertown, MA.

If he was hiding in the boat then it is quite possible that his location would have been picked up by thermal imaging photography taken from the helicopter.

This would explain why the Police might have announced that the search was over and the curfew ended.

The Police, even if they knew his location, would not have attempted to apprehend him in the boat for fear of him detonating explosive devices or wrong identity. If he was listening in to news broadcasts then the public announcement might have caused him to move from the boat.

Complete and utter speculation but it fits the odd events of the past couple of hours.
    edited April 2013
    @AveryLP

I think that could be right. There was an air of complacency about the press conference which seemed a bit odd at the time but if they all knew where he was that would explain it.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Wait, what? Dirty Dicks today? I completely forgot! Again! Grrrrrrr.....
    edited April 2013
    Suspect in custody according to Boston Police.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Boston_Police
    Oh dear. This is sad news but very plausible.

The FBI admitted Friday they interviewed the now-deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev two years ago and failed to find any incriminating information about him.

As first reported by CBS News correspondent Bob Orr, the FBI interviewed Tsarnaev, the elder brother of at-large bombing suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, at the request of a foreign government to see if he had any extremist ties, but failed to find any linkage.

Both Tsarnaev brothers were legal permanent residents of the U.S. There is no evidence so far that either brother received any tactical training.

CBS News correspondent John Miller reports it is likely Russia asked to have the elder Tsarnaev vetted because of suspected ties to Chechen extremists.

Full story: http://cbsn.ws/XLR8hd
    Any time now it'll be 'USA USA'....
    edited April 2013
    MA doesn't have the death penalty but he might be charged on a federal basis. Spending 80 years in jail might be a better outcome.
    AveryLP said:

The FBI admitted Friday they interviewed the now-deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev two years ago and failed to find any incriminating information about him.

As first reported by CBS News correspondent Bob Orr, the FBI interviewed Tsarnaev, the elder brother of at-large bombing suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, at the request of a foreign government to see if he had any extremist ties, but failed to find any linkage.

Both Tsarnaev brothers were legal permanent residents of the U.S. There is no evidence so far that either brother received any tactical training.

CBS News correspondent John Miller reports it is likely Russia asked to have the elder Tsarnaev vetted because of suspected ties to Chechen extremists.

He was under watch for a period.
    "If you re-arrange the letters in Dzhokhar Tsarnaev you get 'Hazard Over, Thanks!'"

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lord_Voldemort7
    Y0kel said:

AveryLP said:

I wouldn't be surprised by that news, Y0kel.

It is a tough job that the intelligence services do. The costs of the smallest failure can be very high.

But something went wrong here. And a big rethink of intelligence sharing and trust between the US and Russia is overdue.
    AveryLP said:

Y0kel said:

AveryLP said:

I wouldn't be surprised by that news, Y0kel.

It is a tough job that the intelligence services do. The costs of the smallest failure can be very high.

But something went wrong here. And a big rethink of intelligence sharing and trust between the US and Russia is overdue.
    The problem Avery is one of civil rights and resources.
    AndyJS said:

I think we can safely say he's the most cornered person in history...

Hitler in April '45 would give him a run for his money.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited April 2013
    Forget the peripheral rubbish about Boston. Let's talk about DD's tonight!

Only capable of posting one time as I'm about to collapse however...

What a great evening. My first time and I was treated royally. A super lot of conversations with all ages from the very young lurkers up to the venerable Jack.

Nice to meet Ave it and Sunil and double carpet, stoge (several times) and especially TSE who I owe a huge THANK YOU you know what for!. And loads of others especially the secretive establishment linked insiders :-)

One word of warning about DD's however, the Youngs Special is stronger than you think!

I left intending to catch my 11 ish train from Victoria (apologies secretive one but I had to try and get the Underground). Well after a signal failure and a change of trains, I got to Victoria 10 mins late for the train and had to get the 00.07. Got back to the hotel ,finally, and found the final throws of a wedding party.

I had to stay up and watch the antics - women falling off shoes and stridently declaring they were sober, gents staring into their beers and talking about sport. What fun.

OK time for bed and not really looking forward to my 4 hour drive later today.
  • Sadly I couldn't make it this time as I have used up too many holidays and it wasn't on one of my scheduled nights off. Glad to hear it was a good do.
    edited April 2013
    AndyJS said:

@AveryLP

I think that could be right. There was an air of complacency about the press conference which seemed a bit odd at the time but if they all knew where he was that would explain it.

Oh dear, my speculation was far too complicated,

It was a trail of blood leading to the boat that revealed his location. The house owner [?] went into his garden and saw the blood and looked into the boat and saw him there then reported his location to the police. I guess he wasn't in any state to continue with the run.
    AveryLP said:

AndyJS said:

@AveryLP

Oh dear, my speculation was far too complicated,

It was a trail of blood leading to the boat that revealed his location. The house owner [?] went into his garden and saw the blood and looked into the boat and saw him there then reported his location to the police. I guess he wasn't in any state to continue with the run.
    Hah!

The helicopter detection story is revived.

Which is the true story?

Still doesn't make sense: both men had fairly bright futures ahead of them. I wonder what suddenly triggered them off like this?
    Possible motive: the older brother was denied US citizenship last year after hitting his girlfriend.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/04/19/two-quotes/
  • samsam Posts: 727
    SeanT said:

Opemijo Jaji, 18, was a violent pedophile, known to be obsessed with "little white girls". In 2011 he was convicted of sexually assaulting a 12 year old, he was only stopped from brutal rape when interruped by a passer by.

He was given.... a ten month detention and training order. He was released after FIVE MONTHS. The very next month he was convicted of possessing the most obscene category of images of child abuse after downloading videos - all of brutal rapes of little white girls.

He was then given an 18 month... "youth rehabilitation order" requiring him to be "supervised" by a probation officer.

Jaji was on a bus after meeting his probation officer when he followed home an 11 year old girl, dragged her into bushes, and violently raped her for three hours.

She survived, and testified against him this week. He has, finally, got life.

Is it beyond the wit of the authorities to put an obvious pedo behind bars, until he can no longer be a danger, once he has been convicted of attempted rape AND downloading the worst kind of violent child porn?0 Or does it take some Solomonic wisdom that our judiciary cannot be expected to posses, to discern that this guy was a clear and present danger?

Grrr.

But that would mean a shed load of redundancies in the excuse industry, and we can't have that
This discussion has been closed.