Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Osborne gets this right today could be the game-changer

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ed Balls' response was wretched. And yet, he is Labour's best attack dog on the economy. He clearly needs to go - but who on earth would replace him as SCotE?

Alan Johnson...
  • Options
    Executive summary:

Sophy Ridge @SophyRidgeSky

Labour source: "Labour has a very strong economic argument to make. Unfortunately it was not made well in the Chamber today." #AS2013
    Retweeted by Giles Dilnot
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Ed Balls' response was wretched. And yet, he is Labour's best attack dog on the economy. He clearly needs to go - but who on earth would replace him as SCotE?

Alan Johnson...
    Magic Johnson could do a better job.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    jayfdee said:

Hard to believe how bad Balls was,he seemed to lose it within seconds of starting,and the red face looks like he has very high blood pressure.
    The tory barracking knocked him off balance straight away,and only Bercow saved him from worse.
    Had to keep going outside as it has just reached high tide here,and the water reached the highest I have ever known,the road outside is about 10 metres deep in water,and the closest it has ever been to my house,another 3 or 4 metres and we would have had serious problems.
    People not used to this area often park on the road and go for a walk,and come back to their car underwater,despite the warning signs that the road floods at high tide.

He should start up the running again.
  • Options
    Let the forces of Darkness briefing against Ed balls begin...

@SophyRidgeSky: Labour source: "Labour has a very strong economic argument to make. Unfortunately it was not made well in the Chamber today." #AS2013
  • Options
    Oh dear

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 3m

Michael Adebolajo tells police he hopes UKIP's Nigel Farage becomes "ruler" of Britain & Muslims can deal with him on reasonable terms.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Time to re-examine the next Shadow Chancellor market.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Danny Alexander handles Neill as well as any politician of any party. It is never easy but he copes.

I will miss him when we have a tory majority.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    The deficit is set to come down by £3.8bn in 2013-14. What was the plan for this year in Osborne's 2010 budget? Increasing growth is coinciding with the stalling of the deficit reduction plan (no surprise to those of us who thought deficit reduction would act as a brake on growth).
  • Options

Wee Dougie Alexander?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

George Osborne = Luis Suarez

Ed Balls = Norwich

That was quite uncalled for.
    I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich
    I'm just glad I was at the Arsenal match last night. Incidentally, anyone thinking that Arsenal are going to fade this season would be well-advised to have a look at that match. 2-0 did not begin to reflect the gulf between the teams and some of Arsenal's play bordered on the inspirational. For the first 20 minutes, Hull barely touched the ball.
    Arsenal look good, the odd thing about this season, you win or lose a couple of games and you can go from second to ninth.

Does that apply to teams that are first as well?!

Three difficult league games coming up, Eve home, City away, Chelsea home, with Napoli away in between... I think 4-5 pts from those three will see us in good stead

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

That reply to the reply was truly brutal. Balls is lucky very few will ever see it.

Still quite disappointed that the deficit for this year is only down to £111bn. Really expected it to be much nearer £100bn than that. I hope this is still over cautious on the part of the OBR who were far too optimistic.

Still pretty optimistic about my bet with Tim though.

Still room for improvement from here - there certainly has been from March - Nov.
    Outside PB Toryworld

@BenChu_: The OBR thinks the current budget structural deficit has got WORSE since March: http://t.co/kR7LPQARrY
    There has been a change to the phasing of CACB from the March EFO to today's forecasts but the key conclusion is as follows:

Table 5.1 shows that our central forecast is for the CACB to be in surplus by 1.6 per cent of GDP in 2018-19. This means that there is a significantly greater than 50 per cent chance of the Government achieving balance on this measure in that year and as a result it is on course to achieve the mandate. It is the first surplus in excess of 1 per cent of GDP we have forecast for a mandate year.

I can quote the paragraphs relating to the phasing changes referred to by BenChu, but neither you nor I would be any the wiser or even better informed by my doing so.

• Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ed Balls = Norwich

I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich
    I'm just glad I was at the Arsenal match last night. Incidentally, anyone thinking that Arsenal are going to fade this season would be well-advised to have a look at that match. 2-0 did not begin to reflect the gulf between the teams and some of Arsenal's play bordered on the inspirational. For the first 20 minutes, Hull barely touched the ball.
    Arsenal look good, the odd thing about this season, you win or lose a couple of games and you can go from second to ninth.

Three difficult league games coming up, Eve home, City away, Chelsea home, with Napoli away in between... I think 4-5 pts from those three will see us in good stead

Yes, are Arsenal screwed if Ozil is out for say a couple of months?
  • Options

Oh dear

Michael Adebolajo tells police he hopes UKIP's Nigel Farage becomes "ruler" of Britain & Muslims can deal with him on reasonable terms.

How strange

What does he mean?
  • Options
    isam said:

Oh dear

How strange

What does he mean?
    Dunno.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    isam said:

Oh dear

How strange

What does he mean?
    Now there's an endorsement that Farage could do without.

• Options
    isam said:

Oh dear

How strange

What does he mean?
    One of them's a nutter?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited December 2013
    George Osborne has just repeated this tweet in the House.

Labour has a very strong economic argument to make. Unfortunately it was not made well in the Chamber today
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2013
    Very quiet from the usual strident Lefties on here today ... must still be in shock after watching Balls commit political suicide.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:

Let the forces of Darkness briefing against Ed balls begin...

@SophyRidgeSky: Labour source: "Labour has a very strong economic argument to make. Unfortunately it was not made well in the Chamber today." #AS2013

I would love to hear Ed Miliband's private thoughts on the performance of his SCotE... Has Ed got the er, minerals to move Balls?
  • Options

Wee Dougie Alexander?

A third Scottish Labour Chancellor in a row offered to the voters. That would be bold...

• Options

Tony McNulty @Tony_McNulty

Labour backbenchers - every time you enter that chamber you are part of the ongoing event - not the audience in good seats. Act like it.
  • Options
    An embarrassing performance by the fat red faced fop today. Ed Balls really is hopeless. Will weak Ed now punt him?
  • Options

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ed Balls = Norwich

I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich

Unlikely that he will be, but do you really think Arsenal are that reliant on Ozil?

Have you watched them much?

• Options
    1) Conservative MPs were heckling him - bad form.
    2) The storm will have everyone's attention today
    3) Balls and Miliband come as a pair, there will be bad days as well as good ones for them.

Any more straws I can clutch at for my Ed Balls betting position ?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Wee Dougie Alexander?

Possibly. He's been pretty impressive in his current brief but I can't ever really remember him speaking on economic matters. I haven't seen the footage from the Commons but if Balls was poor and is weakened by this that might not be a bad thing for Labour. The deficit isn't really coming down and we have a recovery based on increasing debt levels and projected house price increases. The man who was chief advisor to the Chancellor 1997-2005 is probably not the best person to argue against this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

How many times will Bercow point out how bad all the shouting looks to the outside world. Maybe we should run a book on it?

What did Boothroyd used to do to settle the masses? 'Now now, children', I'd imagine ;-)
    Yes, that sounds very much like her - Always thought Betty Boothroyd was a good speaker – never quite appreciated how good until we saw what came after, she was in fact exceptional.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ed Balls = Norwich

I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich

Unlikely that he will be, but do you really think Arsenal are that reliant on Ozil?

It is a confidence thing, he's taken Arsenal to a new level.

Look how well the players around him have responded.

Even Giroud looks decent.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

3) Balls and Miliband come as a pair, there will be bad days as well as good ones for them.

1) Not enough people will see it to be damaging.

2) Labour still leads in the polls.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    I'm going to listen to the Ed Balls speech (sorry, Prescott impersonation) again - it's right up there with Steve Davis' tumble in the jungle for LOL of the week.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

Oh dear

How strange

What does he mean?
    Now there's an endorsement that Farage could do without.

I can't imagine life would be better for the likes of Adebolajo if Farage was "ruler".
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Difficult decision coming up for Ed,

To sack balls would be tantamount to admitting labour has lost the economic argument.

I reckon he will stay.

• Options

Has Ed got the er, minerals to move Balls?

No, but the relevant question is does Len want Ed to snip his Balls off?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sacking Ed Balls would look a bit panicky methinks.

Hopefully he can come up with a slightly dull and shit response to the March budget instead of today's effort. I think GO going on about his piano lessons or something has probably taken the sting out a bit too - nothing to do with politics whatsoever.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Exactly. Labour can do pretty much what they like and their obedient voters and the dodgy boundaries will see them home.
  • Options
    Which numpty in the Labour party is briefing against Balls. A shit performance is one thing, but it'll be this nonsense briefing that could do damage.

Any guesses ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Which numpty in the Labour party is briefing against Balls. A shit performance is one thing, but it'll be this nonsense briefing that could do damage.

Any guesses ?

Ed Balls
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015
    DavidL said:

Uncle Vince is looking seriously old.

He has aged incredibly in last year or two
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    taffys said:

Difficult decision coming up for Ed,

To sack balls would be tantamount to admitting labour has lost the economic argument.

I reckon he will stay.

Rock and a hard place for Milliband.

Sack or move Balls would be a catastrophe for Labour. Keeping Balls in place likewise. Some choice !!

• Options
    Labour need to learn fast that the Tories are using twitter to help them in debates. Careless talk costs arguments.
  • Options
    Some choice !!

Balls is used to government plenty. I've often wondered how he would survive the famine of opposition. I guess we are now finding out.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Any guesses ?

Ed Balls
    Maybe Gordon wants his old job back....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    antifrank said:

Labour need to learn fast that the Tories are using twitter to help them in debates. Careless talk costs arguments.

I think that's the point, if you are briefing against someone and want them out of their position.
  • Options
    Ed Balls trending on twitter.

Bloody hell its windy here.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ed Balls = Norwich

I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich

Most players looks to have improved 10% on last season.

Giroud is a fantastic hold up player, w male model looks. Goals are a bonus

But I dont think you'd get many people who know anything about football calling Arsenal a one man team.

I think our best player is Wilshere, some would say Ramsey, others Ozil etc

We looked lost without Mertesacker at Old Trafford

An open title race, exciting season in store

• Options

Wee Dougie Alexander?

A third Scottish Labour Chancellor in a row offered to the voters. That would be bold...

Scottish voters might like it. And it might be wise to be nice to Scottish voters. Well, until September that is.
  • Options
    tim said:

@jameskirkup: OBR: ***"We do not expect real take-home consumption wages to reach their pre-crisis peak until late 2015."***

@chakrabortty: OBR attacks Help to Buy: "Additional mortgage lending feeds mainly into upward pressure on house prices" http://t.co/6Z9WBJ0Sem

@faisalislam: massive disappointment in trade vs March is exactly made up for by the increase in private consumption +0.9 http://t.co/XNOsw61sV2

In a nutshell, everyone worse off, recovery based solely on stoking house prices and reduction of private savings to spend on consumption..that's the entire five years summed up.

I see you've been fed your new lines by party HQ. That took a while.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Much of the media attention over the next few hours will be on the shadow chancellor’s delivery and performance. Fairly, because it was probably the worst he’s ever given in the House of Commons chamber.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100249232/autumn-statement-2013-labour-has-to-come-up-with-an-economic-policy/
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ed Balls = Norwich

I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich

But I dont think you'd get many people who know anything about football calling Arsenal a one man team.

I didn't say they were a one man team, it's just a confidence thing, they've been on a different level since he signed.

Or are you saying Arsenal were this good prior to Ozil joining?
  • Options
    @DAaronovitch: Almost certainly unfair but the @edballsmp clip on the radio news made him sound demented. #AutumnStatement
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Never fails to wind me up how limited the reporting of pensions is.

You don't have to work until you are 70 - that is just the age you will get a state handout.

It is truly terrifying how the word "pension" has become synonymous with "state pension". If you are relying on the state, especially the British state, to give you income in the later stages of your life then you are an idiot.

I could have minced my words but I would be doing readers a disservice.

If you have any working years whatsoever you should be making provision for your retirement. Otherwise you should not be planning to retire. Ever.
    Why would anyone actually *want* to retire? Saving ill health, surely it's just a move into a different phase (eg volunteering) rather than working for a living.
    Yes Charles , fine when you are loaded and have been born with a silver canteen of cutlery in your mouth. I know you do not meet real people very often but I have to tell you lots of them hardly make enough to live on and so volunteering option means they starve. They have no option but to toil till they get the meagre state pension. I expect your next one will be that they should "eat cake", but never mind you will be just fine and can salve your conscience by a bit of volunteering, just to be sure you get your gong.
    I think that's unnecessarily offensive to Charles. You don't know why he does charity work but anyone who does - whether rich, poor or on a middling income - deserves commendation not scorn. Also I think that the figures show that it is people who earn relatively little who give a greater proportion of their income to charity so we should be encouraging more of the well off to be equally - indeed more - public-spirited and looking out for their fellow citizens.
    I disagree, his flippant , oh people can volunteer , typifies the rich Tory "I am all right Jack" attitude of this government. They never stop to think that some people are poor and if they do not work they do not eat, therefore stopping work before pension age and doing something jolly is not an option. It is exactly that type of attitude that gets the Tories the name of the NASTY party.
    Not everybody is rich enough to be able not to work.
    The only flippant comment was your remark that Charles can only be volunteering because he wants a gong.

We all have to save more to make provision for our old age and life's calamities generally. Of course it is easier for the rich. But at least this government has raised the tax free allowance for those earning the least, which is a start and a whole lot better than the 100% tax increase imposed on the poorest - and in an underhand way - by the last Labour government.
    What codswallop , at most a couple of hundred a year , they will be able to retire much earlier on that and go butterfly watching in their leisure time. Did you read what you posted , poor get a pittance so OK that rich people can retire when they want loaded down with money and pensions whilst the oicks have to toil till they drop to get their pittance.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Pulpstar, where are you? It's still very windy in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland is to see an increase in its block grant from Westminster over the next two years.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne announced it in his autumn budget statement to the Commons.

The Northern Ireland Office (NIO) said it would mean the executive would receive an additional £136m in funding through the Barnett formula.

The system governs how the devolved nations in the UK are funded by Westminster.

"The Barnett formula means that over the next two years, the budgets for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales will see a net increase," Mr Osborne said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25237167
  • Options
    Sorry this is better - George's response to Ed's 'speech'

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1777671
  • Options
    OmnishamBalls
  • Options
    @pppolitics: Who will be Shadow Chancellor at next GE? After #autumnstatement, Ed Balls price drifts a little to 1/5. Darling 10/1 http://t.co/JiiIqP6mUz
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    tim said:

Remember the PB Tories cheered the Omnishambles on the day

Are you predicting this budget is going to go the same way?
  • Options
    @TSE Flamini has been at least as influential as Ozil (though Ozil is a great signing). What makes Arsenal so good at the moment though is their teamwork and their ability not just to show individual flair - though there's a lot of that - but to work with each other and for each other. And they seem to be enjoying themselves.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Re "retirement ages" - surely most people are members of pension schemes and they will be able to take their company pensions / private pensions much earlier than the reported "retirement ages".

For example, I am 49 and my company pension scheme has a retirement age of 63. So if I'm still alive I'll get my company pension at 63 and my state pension at 67.

And for many people their company pension will be a far greater amount than the state pension.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

@jameskirkup: OBR: ***"We do not expect real take-home consumption wages to reach their pre-crisis peak until late 2015."***

@chakrabortty: OBR attacks Help to Buy: "Additional mortgage lending feeds mainly into upward pressure on house prices" http://t.co/6Z9WBJ0Sem

@faisalislam: massive disappointment in trade vs March is exactly made up for by the increase in private consumption +0.9 http://t.co/XNOsw61sV2

In a nutshell, everyone worse off, recovery based solely on stoking house prices and reduction of private savings to spend on consumption..that's the entire five years summed up.

The Telegraph and the OBR.

We're feeling your pain today, we really are. I hope this provides you with some comfort.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@pppolitics: Who will be Shadow Chancellor at next GE? After #autumnstatement, Ed Balls price drifts a little to 1/5. Darling 10/1 http://t.co/JiiIqP6mUz

1/5 - Hmm Maybe I shouldn't be so worried. Hopefully he can do a bit better in March.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@TSE Flamini has been at least as influential as Ozil (though Ozil is a great signing). What makes Arsenal so good at the moment though is their teamwork and their ability not just to show individual flair - though there's a lot of that - but to work with each other and for each other. And they seem to be enjoying themselves.

Yup, I noticed the enjoyment, especially when you beat us 2 nil.

As one of my Arsenal supporting friends likes to point out, The Ozil signing was only possible because Real Madrid had to spend to offset the Bale signing.

So, Arsenal winning the title this year, will be in large thanks to Spurs.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

When does anyone starting cheering for Ed Balls? Not even his backbenchers could bring themselves to?
  • Options
    Talking of Bale.

If Bale is worth 85million, Super Luis has to be worth at least that much, if not more, closer to £125million.

What were Arsenal smoking when they bit £40million and a quid?
  • Options
    Autumn Statement: £100m more for Welsh government over two years

The modest rise in the Welsh government budget is because English school and health spending have been protected.

The figures announced by the Treasury are in cash terms and make no allowance for annual rates of inflation.

During his 50-minute speech to MPs, George Osborne confirmed UK ministers were entering a "cooperation agreement" with Hitachi and Horizon, to agree an "in-principle guarantee" by the end of 2016 to support the financing of a new nuclear power plant at Wylfa on Anglesey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-25232618
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hopefully he can do a bit better in March.

It's Miliband in March
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG One day you might just begin to realise that the world is not a fair place..and it has always been that way .. and no doubt will continue to be unfair to lots of people for many years to come .. get over it. enjoy your mini BMW ..How lucky you are.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

So the PB Tories calling Ed Balls' speech an omnishambles will also be shown to be a monstrous error?

Hur hur hur.... Take the day off. You have nothing to say on the economy. Like your party.

• Options
    In some parallel universe, Alan Johnson is till the shadow chancellor...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DAaronovitch: Almost certainly unfair but the @edballsmp clip on the radio news made him sound demented. #AutumnStatement

Unfair to the demented ?!?

• Options
    edited December 2013

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Ed Balls = Norwich

I'm sorry.

But it was accurate.

How about

George Osborne = Norwich

Ed Balls = Ipswich

I didn't say they were a one man team, it's just a confidence thing, they've been on a different level since he signed.

Or are you saying Arsenal were this good prior to Ozil joining?
    Of course Ozil has improved the team, I just don't think we would be lost without him, or any other individual. The nucleus of the team has grown slowly over 2-3 seasons, and we have not missed Walcott, Podolski or Oxlade Chamberlain who would be competing for a place in the side when fully fit.

The defence has improved remarkably in 2013 and I put that down to Mertesacker being picked ahead of Vermaelen. If he were out for two months it would affect us more than Ozil

Its true though that we haven't beaten any of the recent seasons top 4 teams, and the only difficult away match in the league was the one we lost at Old Trafford. The fixtures have been quite easy and I would have thought our record last season against teams played this was very similar.

Wouldnt be surprised to finish 4th, albeit without the pressure of a last day roller coaster

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

It's Miliband in March
    Oh - Ye I forgot that - Sheesh. By next November it'll be far too late to move Balls I think. Quite glad its the Milipede though.

A nervous day all the same to be betting on Ed Balls though...
  • Options
    Ed Balls drops out of Twitter trends.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

It's Miliband in March
    Oh - Ye I forgot that - Sheesh. By next November it'll be far too late to move Balls I think. Quite glad its the Milipede though.

A nervous day all the same to be betting on Ed Balls though...
    Next May/June maybe an option.

It could be that Ed Miliband joins Neil Kinnock as the only opposition leader not to win the Euro elections held in a non general election year.
  • Options
    Balls is tied to Miliband like a lump of concrete to an errant Mafioso's feet before a brief but exciting swim.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tim said:

tim said:

We're feeling your pain today, we really are. I hope this provides you with some comfort.
    PB's very own agony aunt dishes out the balm.

So touching ....

• Options
    Autumn Statement: Scotland to get an extra £308m in funding

George Osborne said the extra cash, part of his Autumn Statement, meant spending by the Holyrood administration would be cut by less than 0.2%.

Most UK departments will need to make savings of 1.1%, a spokesman added.

The additional £308m in funding will be divided up between the Scottish government's resource and capital budgets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25237570
  • Options

...and Labour have an economic policy

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Much of the media attention over the next few hours will be on the shadow chancellor’s delivery and performance. Fairly, because it was probably the worst he’s ever given in the House of Commons chamber.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100249232/autumn-statement-2013-labour-has-to-come-up-with-an-economic-policy/

Not had a chance to see Ed Balls’ budget response yet, but how bad must it have been to pip last year’s disastrous budget ‘omnishamBalls ’ ?

They say Once is a misfortune, Twice is carelessness, but Balls is making a habit of fluffing his annual budget reply, it now resembles a ritual humiliation, rather than his big event.
  • Options

In that same parallel universe, David Cameron got a majority - and we found out how different he would have been as a Conservative PM.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Curiously the main loser from the Balls up may be Osborne. He has given a star performance, but the story of the day will be Balls and not Osb.

Balls was on manoeuvres anyway (recall his attempts to distance himself from the shad. cab. over Flowers). Not sure ed m will be too upset about today's events.
  • Options
    tim said:

@JohnO

When we're you predicting polling crossover for again, early 2014 was it?

Tell us about Ed's Leader ratings for December.

Speak up, son.

LoL
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Why would anyone actually *want* to retire? Saving ill health, surely it's just a move into a different phase (eg volunteering) rather than working for a living.
    Yes Charles , fine when you are loaded and have been born with a silver canteen of cutlery in your mouth. I know you do not meet real people very often but I have to tell you lots of them hardly make enough to live on and so volunteering option means they starve. They have no option but to toil till they get the meagre state pension. I expect your next one will be that they should "eat cake", but never mind you will be just fine and can salve your conscience by a bit of volunteering, just to be sure you get your gong.
    I think that's unnecessarily offensive to Charles. You don't know why he does charity work but anyone who does - whether rich, poor or on a middling income - deserves commendation not scorn. Also I think that the figures show that it is people who earn relatively little who give a greater proportion of their income to charity so we should be encouraging more of the well off to be equally - indeed more - public-spirited and looking out for their fellow citizens.
    I disagree, his flippant , oh people can volunteer , typifies the rich Tory "I am all right Jack" attitude of this government. They never stop to think that some people are poor and if they do not work they do not eat, therefore stopping work before pension age and doing something jolly is not an option. It is exactly that type of attitude that gets the Tories the name of the NASTY party.
    Not everybody is rich enough to be able not to work.
    The only flippant comment was your remark that Charles can only be volunteering because he wants a gong.

We all have to save more to make provision for our old age and life's calamities generally. Of course it is easier for the rich. But at least this government has raised the tax free allowance for those earning the least, which is a start and a whole lot better than the 100% tax increase imposed on the poorest - and in an underhand way - by the last Labour government.
    What codswallop , at most a couple of hundred a year , they will be able to retire much earlier on that and go butterfly watching in their leisure time. Did you read what you posted , poor get a pittance so OK that rich people can retire when they want loaded down with money and pensions whilst the oicks have to toil till they drop to get their pittance.
    It's you who haven't read it properly. I said it was a start. I would like the government to go further to tax poor people less, much less. I said nothing about rich people but for the record I think they should contribute more so as to help the worse off in society and if that means concentrating the state pension on those with incomes below a certain level, so be it. A bit like child benefit,say.

But, oh, it's Labour creating merry hell because benefits are being taken away from those on well above average incomes.

And you really should not be making unjustified accusations that Charles is only volunteering because he wants a title.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

Oh dear

How strange

What does he mean?
    He's just being as obnoxious as possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    twitter.com/HuffPostUKPics/status/408584781685719040/photo/1

Dear God !
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

@JohnO

When we're you predicting polling crossover for again, early 2014 was it?

Tell us about Ed's Leader ratings for December.

Speak up, son.

LoL
    Not seeing the poll movement you were so confidently predicting in October are we.
    Wonder why not.

Crossover in early 2014?
    An excellent charity benefitted from your betting misjudgements with me a mere three weeks ago. Bet you're relieved that my concern for your welfare meant I didn't take the same offer for this month.

PbTories love cocktails; someday tim will learn. Possibly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar...

The expressions of Millie and hattie are arguably more significant.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Pulpstar...

The expressions of Millie and hattie are arguably more significant.

Harman always looks completely sour faced though.
  • Options
    @tim - Didn't quite hear you on Ed's ratings this month. Don't mumble. Don't be coy.

Ever the beanbag warrior.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

twitter.com/HuffPostUKPics/status/408584781685719040/photo/1

Dear God !

Has that been retouched? If not, it's hard to believe Balls didn't keel over on the spot.

• Options
    “George Osborne's response to Ed Balls” – blimey, absolutely withering; can't decide if the reference to the Rev Flowers was below the belt or just the cherry on top...!

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1777671
  • Options
    The UKIP spokesman on Daily Politics, Steven Woolfe, does come across as more professional than Godfrey Bloom I must say... an improvement!

Better than Osborne & Balls as well as it happens
  • Options
    Nick Robinson

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 1h
    If you think MPs shouting is merely childish, think again. It is a deliberate tactic to make @edballsmp shout & look unfit for office.

Retweeted almost 400 times.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Ed Milliband really did not look happy with Ed Balls performance did he?

POE(s)WAS
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nick Robinson

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 1h
    If you think MPs shouting is merely childish, think again. It is a deliberate tactic to make @edballsmp shout & look unfit for office.

Retweeted almost 400 times.

Isn't his job to report on politicians, not bail them out?
  • Options
    At some point very soon the media will get their teeth into the Labour front bench about their total lack of an economic alternative. Ed Balls' appearences might just provoke that, if only to see if they can make him detonate, keel over or cry.
  • Options
    On topic, Labour will now be hoping that today will pass soon enough. I'm doubtful we'll see any short term impact on the polls from the Autumn Statement, but we may well see a shift in what gets talked about politically, which can only be to the Conservatives' longer term benefit.

It doesn't feel like either a game-changer or a plop. Where we go from here will depend in large part on the Conservatives' message discipline. Judging by their past efforts with message discipline, I'd bet on it not being all that significant in the long run unless they can use it to find a simple stick to beat the two Eds with.
  • Options
    tim said:

Are there any Tories on here who noticed that The OBR revised down wages growth for the next for years, living standards crisis actually getting worse.

Never mind, give it a year or two and it might sink in.

And they revised up their projection of house prices.

But the OBR are normally wrong, and we just have to hope that they are too pessimistic [for a second time in a row], and wage growth will be higher than they expect and house price growth lower.
  • Options

At some point very soon the media will get their teeth into the Labour front bench about their total lack of an economic alternative. Ed Balls' appearences might just provoke that, if only to see if they can make him detonate, keel over or cry.

Do they need an economic alternative? The traditional technique is to advocate the same thing as the current government, except with a few minor, properly-funded populist tweaks.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

What stopped Gordon Brown from going ahead with an autumn general election in 2007 were the astonishing polling figures for the Scottish National Party. Wee Dougie Alexander successfully persuaded his boss that an autumn UK GE would be signing the death certificate of his belovèd SLAB.

Nothing to do with a Tory conference speech.

Just wow.

Please tell me you are trolling and you don't actually believe that guff?
This discussion has been closed.