Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make it 2/1 that RLB will finish third behind Starme

1235»

Comments

• felixfelix Posts: 15,141
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

So the great stock market crash is now barely crossing the pond with futures down between 0.7 and 2.4 % I'm not convinced that a great crash is yet upon us. Oil has dropped a little but it was worse a couple of weeks ago. Currecnies are ok and both the Dax and the FTSE have settled. Maybe time to buy again or better still have some luch and see how things are by tea-time. :)

Markets generally settle when Wall Street is about to open.

Why would a global killer virus affect currencies? Unless a flight to safety, $ and Swiss Fr.
    The Dow futures are down 0.7%. It's not armageddon today.

Edit Dow down 0.78%
    The screen I am looking at, the Dow is expected to open down about 800 points - roughly 3%
    Sorry yes - was looking at something else. Still don't see it as too bad given the Dow is over-valued anyway IMHO.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Give it a month and there will be angry hordes taking an axe to your front door if they suspect you are hoarding canned food.... ;)

The scariest stat I saw is that it apparently incubates and transmits very quickly in gyms. Although apparently peak infection time was a couple of weeks ago.

Just as well none of us on here goes to a gym regularly.
    A key factor must be how long the virus can survive on inanimate surfaces, such as door handles?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469
    I'm travelling to London alternate weeks to work on client site. I'm crossing my fingers that travel restrictions are imposed while I'm working from home, rather than when I'm in a London hotel.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Give it a month and there will be angry hordes taking an axe to your front door if they suspect you are hoarding canned food.... ;)

The scariest stat I saw is that it apparently incubates and transmits very quickly in gyms. Although apparently peak infection time was a couple of weeks ago.

A key factor must be how long the virus can survive on inanimate surfaces, such as door handles?
    Actually I did read somewhere, long ago, that the single most contaminated object is the "G" button in a lift.
  • I'd be amused in the future to see Patel as our third female Prime Minister ...

... If only because the overreactions and horror by the left on here would make eadric seem normal in comparison.

Well, I suppose there have been thicker leaders of the Conservative Party. Oh, hang on make that in the singular. Anyone heard anything from "IDS" recently? has he said anything particularly erudite on anything...ever?
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

So the great stock market crash is now barely crossing the pond with futures down between 0.7 and 2.4 % I'm not convinced that a great crash is yet upon us. Oil has dropped a little but it was worse a couple of weeks ago. Currecnies are ok and both the Dax and the FTSE have settled. Maybe time to buy again or better still have some luch and see how things are by tea-time. :)

Markets generally settle when Wall Street is about to open.

Why would a global killer virus affect currencies? Unless a flight to safety, $ and Swiss Fr.
    The Dow futures are down 0.7%. It's not armageddon today.

Edit Dow down 0.78%
    The screen I am looking at, the Dow is expected to open down about 800 points - roughly 3%
    One share that is bucking the trend is YouGov, up 1% today. I wonder why that is?
    YouGov is benefitting from an expectation of significant consolidation within the MR industry. Something I wish I had spotted months back, the shares having been a clear buy for some time.
  • “Keep Calm And Carry On” was an unpopular campaign in World War Two, seen as patronising. The government should find a different message now too.

That poster was prepared for an invasion, and as one didn't happen was never used, only being rediscovered in 2000.

The poster people found condescending was:

Your Courage
    Your Cheerfulness
    Your Resolution
    Will Bring
    Us Victory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On

Interesting bit of EU trademark lunacy in there too.
    edited February 2020
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Actually I did read somewhere, long ago, that the single most contaminated object is the "G" button in a lift.
    So the Americans are safe after all, then....
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059

Starmer's cabinet?

Cooper: CoE
    Nandy: Home
    Thornberry: Foreign

Philips: Social care reform

Milliband (E)?????
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Noticed there weren't as many at the gym as usual this morning. Hmmm.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

I was comparing the risk of gettimg the virus - a few hundred in Italy have got it and maybe 2 or 3% will die of it, compared with 3,000 pa road deaths. Just keeping it in perspective. Keeping calm and carrying on.

Yes, but we each assume we can personally avoid the road deaths, because we are all above average drivers and, even if an accident happens in front of us, our above average reactions and some nifty James Bond driving will see us clear.
    Quite. People's reaction to the odd terrorist attack or scary virus is always OTT compared with death by cancer, stroke etc. If this virus was called flu rather than a scary name it wouldn't have anything like the same response. I assume there is an evolutionary reason for this OTT reaction.
    Fear of the unknown.

Its basically the same as xenophobia.
    Rubbish. It's because the person who panics in a fire first, gets out of the door, and the others who delay will burn, especially those with normalcy bias (as on this site),. They just sit there thinking, Oh, this could never really happen to me

So the early panickers live on to spread their panicky genes. Because sometimes there really IS a fire.

What are these practical steps the early panickers are taking? Besides obsessive posting on the internet with various alter egos?
    Obsessively washing your hands is probably quite sensible.
    Not much more than it always has been sensible though.

Washing your hands and "catch it, kill it, bin it" are good advice all the time, especially at winter.
    The effectiveness of such measures depends on their widespread adoption.

There's been a fair amount of modelling on this, assuming various infectivity rates for viruses, and the difference between (say) half the population and three quarters following the advice is quite dramatic in terms of the number of total infections.

Of course it's sensible - but an awful lot of people don't follow the advice without a great deal of prompting.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy's gloves suggestion is not silly.
  • Starmer's cabinet?

Milliband (E)?????
    What sort of non-job does he offer RLB?
  • Starmer's cabinet?

Milliband (E)?????
    What sort of non-job does he offer RLB?
    Shadow Brexit Secretary....
    The sell positions I took before market open this morning are already up £2k. Normally I’d take profits but my instincts are that Wall Street open will accelerate rather than abate the selloff.
  • eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

The best guess at the moment is that the virus can survive for 9 days on surfaces

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/rb-hlc020720.php
    Thats a long time..
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited February 2020

I'd be amused in the future to see Patel as our third female Prime Minister ...

... If only because the overreactions and horror by the left on here would make eadric seem normal in comparison.

Well, I suppose there have been thicker leaders of the Conservative Party. Oh, hang on make that in the singular. Anyone heard anything from "IDS" recently? has he said anything particularly erudite on anything...ever?
    Actually, yes. His analysis of the problems of people trapped in welfare because of the perverse incentives which applied especially under Brown was outstanding, and refreshingly based on actually going out to talk to real people. I remember him giving a speech at our local party association annual dinner; the first part of the speech was nothing special, albeit with some good anecdotes about Norman Tebbitt, but then he got on to welfare and he suddenly became absolutely passionate as well as demonstrating that he was very well-informed. It was riveting.
  • eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

The best guess at the moment is that the virus can survive for 9 days on surfaces

You missed out "up to":

the viruses can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. On average, they survive between four and five days. "Low temperature and high air humidity further increase their lifespan,"

So low temperatures may be why this so far has been an overwhelmingly northern hemisphere outbreak, with far fewer cases in hotter countries....
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,659
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

I did, however, unearth a documentary about the last time such a thing hit the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(1975_TV_series)

Though with a much higher death rate
    Yes, but a bit uneven. Classic 1970s drama, made on a shoestring but brilliant in its way. There's a point where one of the characters says only 15 people survived in a area with a population of 75,000 yet later on it's revealed 100,000 survived in Scotland.

Very few survived in Europe apparently though one of the books (possibly non-canon) says France had a higher survival rate than England.

The descent into chaos is surprisingly civilised - it's the death of Peter Bowles that really shakes you. His wife then cuts her hair and burns the house down which is something we'd all do in a crisis - I know I would (and Eadric might too).

I binge-watched Cobra at the weekend and David Cameron (sorry, Robert Sutherland) got there in the end. Will he win his election? Methinks he will and the devious right-wing Home Secretary (aren't they all?) will get his comeuppance as moderation triumphs. Or perhaps not?
  • eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Thats a long time..
    I believe HIV is a matter of hours..
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,659
    Afternoon all :)

The FTSE has crashed to 7146 - it hasn't been this low since, er, December 5th.

Perhaps everyone forgot Boris and the Tories won the election - or perhaps everyone suddenly remembered.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

That is a good article, but it is up to 9 days dependent on the conditions. Also these are results for other Coronaviruses such as SARS, but not yet for COVID-19. The assumption is that COVID-19 will be similar.

On a Radio 4 programme last week I heard that most viruses are broken down by bright sunlight which is one reason why colds and flu are more prevelent in winter and in cold climates.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,200

Actually, yes. His analysis of the problems of people trapped in welfare because of the perverse incentives which applied especially under Brown was outstanding, and refreshingly based on actually going out to talk to real people. I remember him giving a speech at our local party association annual dinner; the first part of the speech was nothing special, albeit with some good anecdotes about Norman Tebbitt, but then he got on to welfare and he suddenly became absolutely passionate as well as demonstrating that he was very well-informed. It was riveting.
    A riveting speech by IDS? Truly the world is ending.
    I see BFE has a new market on whether the US will enter recession during 2020, with ‘yes’ being at 3.3. Those of the SeanT school of global apocalypse may wish to take a look...
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Tip: You don't find the "G-button" in a lift
    :wink:
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

I'd imagine it is the flush button on a toilet cistern.
    eristdoof said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

That is a good article, but it is up to 9 days dependent on the conditions. Also these are results for other Coronaviruses such as SARS, but not yet for COVID-19. The assumption is that COVID-19 will be similar.

On a Radio 4 programme last week I heard that most viruses are broken down by bright sunlight which is one reason why colds and flu are more prevelent in winter and in cold climates.
    Isn’t the point about this virus that, so far, it hasn’t been “similar”?
  • eristdoof said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Because viruses need hosts to survive few last very long outside a host:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/
    eadric said:

Actually, that German paper linked below has this interesting and perhaps even encouraging discovery

"Low temperature and high air humidity further increase the lifespan [of the virus on surfaces]," points out Kampf."

This might explain why it is thriving in central China - where right now they have cool temperatures and high humidity. Lombary and Veneto in northern Italy suffers the same in winter. As does Qom!

My God, I've just solved coronavirus. It will be worst in cool places with high humidity.

As the northern hemisphere warms the virus WILL die out?

And now, to work

Good news, as I am expecting to be in Bergamo by May, by when it won’t be cold and humid.
  • MaxPB said:

A riveting speech by IDS? Truly the world is ending.
    Yes, I was very surprised. This was in the early coalition years.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Noo thred.
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Isn’t the point about this virus that, so far, it hasn’t been “similar”?
    In a biological sense COVID-19 is a Corona Virus, like SARS. The exact effect on humans is somewhat but not very different from SARS.
  • eadric said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

You missed out "up to":

the viruses can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. On average, they survive between four and five days. "Low temperature and high air humidity further increase their lifespan,"

So low temperatures may be why this so far has been an overwhelmingly northern hemisphere outbreak, with far fewer cases in hotter countries....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_outbreak
  • stodge said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

I did, however, unearth a documentary about the last time such a thing hit the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(1975_TV_series)

Though with a much higher death rate
    Yes, but a bit uneven. Classic 1970s drama, made on a shoestring but brilliant in its way. There's a point where one of the characters says only 15 people survived in a area with a population of 75,000 yet later on it's revealed 100,000 survived in Scotland.

Very few survived in Europe apparently though one of the books (possibly non-canon) says France had a higher survival rate than England.

The descent into chaos is surprisingly civilised - it's the death of Peter Bowles that really shakes you. His wife then cuts her hair and burns the house down which is something we'd all do in a crisis - I know I would (and Eadric might too).

A 'cosy catastrophe' genre...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

IshmaelZ said:

Barnesian said:

John Hopkins now has Italian cases up to 215, second only to Korea (833) outside China (77,150).

I'm flying to Italy in 12 days time for a skiing holiday. I note that more than 3,000 people a year are killed on Italian roads (not counting pistes) so I'll be sure to look both ways.
    Hope it goes well, but your relative risk point is a bit obscure. I would ski conservatively; you don't want to be looking for intensive care for a broken limb in a Northern Italian hospital atm.
    I was comparing the risk of gettimg the virus - a few hundred in Italy have got it and maybe 2 or 3% will die of it, compared with 3,000 pa road deaths. Just keeping it in perspective. Keeping calm and carrying on.

Yes, but we each assume we can personally avoid the road deaths, because we are all above average drivers and, even if an accident happens in front of us, our above average reactions and some nifty James Bond driving will see us clear.
    Quite. People's reaction to the odd terrorist attack or scary virus is always OTT compared with death by cancer, stroke etc. If this virus was called flu rather than a scary name it wouldn't have anything like the same response. I assume there is an evolutionary reason for this OTT reaction.
    Fear of the unknown.

Its basically the same as xenophobia.
    SNIP

What are these practical steps the early panickers are taking? Besides obsessive posting on the internet with various alter egos?
    Selling all my shares last week, thus avoiding today's correction.

Anyone who was noting my remarks, should have done the same. I see that some of you didn't. I tried my best.
    Nevertheless your decision has incurred costs - transaction costs and opportunity costs - as well as timing risk if you reenter the market too early, or too late. So you do have a psychological need to find fellow worriers so as to feel back within the herd, and to spread the panic so that you are eventually vindicated.

Despite all that, I have been selling too.
    I have bought a few, down 20K but it will come back and some good bargains about. Brave to come out of market as it will rebound very quickly so very easy to lose out.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759

Sacking everyone at MI5 might take a bit more planning than firing the Home Office Permanent Secretary.
    We’re governed by petulant children, from the PM downwards.
    I'm not sure I agree. When the spooks are picking and choosing the politicians they like, who should we actually be worrying about?
This discussion has been closed.