Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Does the government care that household debt is soaring?

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

Absolutely. But under EU law he has an absolute veto on what happens.

Provided he gets re-elected ;-). What are the Spanish opposition's view on Catalonia?

Pretty much the same. They are more flexible about more powers for Catalonia - which is actually what Catalonia wants - but they would not countenance separation.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Doesn't Scotland already have a national anthem? Flower of Scotland??
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Neil said:

Neil said:

It seems that all Labour does is try to create enemies and then try to bash them, whether deserved or not.

Labour, uniquely amongst all the political parties, is quite political.
    I don't agree that creating undeserving enemies is, or should be, politics.
    Unfortunately politics carries on regardless of whether you agree with it or not.
    It's a shame you think that this situation is in any way desirable in politics. I would have thought that as a Green supporter (and honorary PB Tory), you would have wanted better politics than that.

It is things like the Mitchell affair that drives politics and politicians' reputations down into the mud. It leads people to claim that it is alright for the police to lie as long as it achieves a given political result.

I'd prefer politicians to do the right thing, even if it is harder.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_Scotland
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Pretty much the same. They are more flexible about more powers for Catalonia - which is actually what Catalonia wants - but they would not countenance separation.

Is there legal advice on this matter, does he *really* have a veto?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

It's a shame you think that this situation is in any way desirable in politics.

It's a shame you see fit to make up and attribute positions I dont hold to me. And I thought it was only Labour that was into dirty politics.

• Options
    Neil said:

It's a shame you see fit to make up and attribute positions I dont hold to me. And I thought it was only Labour that was into dirty politics.
    If you actually stated a position I might be able to hold you to it ...
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Badger news!

Cull ends as there's no prospect of hitting the targets of dead badgers because, erm, there aren't enough badgers to kill.

Did Chris Morris write this Government's script?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Plato said:

@edmundintokyo or anyone else...

I've just changed PCs and can't get the widget to work on Firefox 25 - any ideas? I've tried installing the PB Enhanced widget on my toolbar and it won't load as a Greasemonkey script.

All help much appreciated.

Have you installed Greasemonkey yet? You'll need to do that first.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
    Yup that's installed and so perplexed why it doesn't work... *sighs*
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I find I have done exactly the opposite of the general public. Between 1997 and 2010, I cleared all my personal debt. Between 2010 and now, I've loaded myself up to the eyeballs with debt (though I intend clearing it all in the next few months). While borrowing costs were so low, it seemed crazy not to take advantage of that. Indeed, a substantial part of me feels that I'm being too cautious arranging to clear my debts now.

Well, lets put it this way.. interest rates can only go up!
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

It seems that all Labour does is try to create enemies and then try to bash them, whether deserved or not.

Labour, uniquely amongst all the political parties, is quite political.
    I don't agree that creating undeserving enemies is, or should be, politics.
    Unfortunately politics carries on regardless of whether you agree with it or not.
    It's a shame you think that this situation is in any way desirable in politics. I would have thought that as a Green supporter (and honorary PB Tory), you would have wanted better politics than that.

It is things like the Mitchell affair that drives politics and politicians' reputations down into the mud. It leads people to claim that it is alright for the police to lie as long as it achieves a given political result.

I'd prefer politicians to do the right thing, even if it is harder.
    Oh what supercilious bullsh!t, from a supporter of the Go Home Van Party.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Bobajob said:

No.

Surely it's its de facto anthem? It's played at international sporting events and if you asked people what the anthem was they'd say Flower of Scotland.

In the same way God Save the Queen is the de facto anthem of England and the UK (eealise it has no official status, but then none do)

• Options
    Flower of Scotland is a surprisingly new song for an unofficial national anthem.

I wonder how the Scottish nationalists would regard the English adopting as a national anthem a song based on the events of Flodden Field.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I find I have done exactly the opposite of the general public. Between 1997 and 2010, I cleared all my personal debt. Between 2010 and now, I've loaded myself up to the eyeballs with debt (though I intend clearing it all in the next few months). While borrowing costs were so low, it seemed crazy not to take advantage of that. Indeed, a substantial part of me feels that I'm being too cautious arranging to clear my debts now.

Well, lets put it this way.. interest rates can only go up!
    That's true - but not necessarily particularly quickly.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

I think what I've posted so far has been crystal clear. That you felt the need to make up some crap while at the same time sanctimoniously going on about how uniquely terrible Labour is ... well that was a picture.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Talking about confusion: how much confusion do you think Miliband's grand plan has caused for the energy investment we desperately need?

What's confusing about "your prices will be frozen"?!

Honestly, if Tories get confused by simple concepts like that they prove they're not fit to govern anything.

So we *desperately need* energy investment now? How long have the companies had to provide that investment? Decades.

A failing market that shouldn't be in the private sector. Simple as that.

It leads to uncertainty in the markets, especially when those markets are dominated by costs that are outside of their control.

If Labour cannot understand the markets and investment (and let's make it clear: there are few signs they do) then they are not fit to govern anything.

Companies will not invest unless the conditions are right for them to do so. Part of a government's role is to provide the conditions companies need to invest, whether that investment is in energy, infrastructure, or jobs.

The alternative is to have things under state control, with the state providing the investment. And history shows that investment can be just as bad in that situation.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Plato said:

Plato said:

I've just changed PCs and can't get the widget to work on Firefox 25 - any ideas? I've tried installing the PB Enhanced widget on my toolbar and it won't load as a Greasemonkey script.

Miss P, any idea of where young Pole is ? Haven't seen him around for a while.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Flower of Scotland is a surprisingly new song for an unofficial national anthem.

I wonder how the Scottish nationalists would regard the English adopting as a national anthem a song based on the events of Flodden Field.

It started "becoming" the unofficial anthem by being sung when Scotland were playing England at rugby. Fair enough in that context I reckon.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes - new EU members have to be agreed unanimously by all existing member states. Even under the SNP's very optimistic reading of the situation, all member states would have to unanimously agree to allow Scotland to retain the opt-outs it wants. In both cases Spain and any other country has a veto.

But this is all by the by. The SNP know all of the above. What happens after a Yes vote is of very little interest to them right now. They just want to get the Yes. If they get that and it turns out that everything Better Together said was right it doesn't matter. Scotland will be independent.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

I think what I've posted so far has been crystal clear. That you felt the need to make up some crap while at the same time sanctimoniously going on about how uniquely terrible Labour is ... well that was a picture.
    "make up some cr@p"?

Really?

But to make it clear, I'm sorry if I have offended you, or in some way misinterpreted what you have said. Okay?
  • Options

Plato said:

ALP has posted this week. It sounds like he's busy at work.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

No.

Surely it's its de facto anthem? It's played at international sporting events and if you asked people what the anthem was they'd say Flower of Scotland.
    Scotland's Future is silent on the matter.....personally I find Flower of Scotland a dreary dirge (bit like GSTQ).....

• Options
    Aye, Flower of Scotland is bloody miserable. The best Six Nations anthem is probably the Italian one, though I quite like the French as well.

Was amazed to read of how Ireland nearly beat the All Blacks.
  • Options

@SeanT - About your mortgage, worth your while checking the small print for how much you can overpay. If you might have future large wodges of money coming in from book deals then you might be better off sticking with a mortgage that gives you the freedom to pay off another large chunk when that money comes in, rather than lock yourself into a deal that limits overpayments to ~£500 a month.

But, you know, I'm an ignorant fool with a financial strategy of picking up dropped coins outside the corner shop and putting them in a piggy bank...

We took out an offset mortgage for a similar reason earlier this year, as we've bought a joint house for the two of us, which we financed partly through the sale of mine, partly through savings and partly through a mortgage. When we sell the other house, we'll pay off a decent chunk of the mortgage with the equity in it.

Obviously, what works for us won't work for everyone and for legal purposes, this doesn't constitute advice.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    My condolences, Mr Smithson.
  • Options
    I went out with a Scot for several years. He once told me in all seriousness that Flower of Scotland was the most beautiful song he had ever heard.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Plato said:

ALP has posted this week. It sounds like he's busy at work.
    Thanks, I missed it as I've been busy myself.
  • Options
    John Curtice on DP - the 'Yes' side are going for the Labour/less well off vote - which might longer term be limiting.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, one hopes his taste in men was better than his taste in music.

Just checked the last thread. My sympathies for your loss, Mr. Smithson.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,993
    Dear Mr --------

Your StanJames.com username is:--------

All Stan James accounts are reviewed on a regular basis by our Trading team, and due to betting patterns on this account the decision has been made to close it.

I would make you aware that this decision has been made at the highest level and will not be reversed. Any open bets will be honoured, and any outstanding balance will be returned to you via your normal withdrawal method.

Kind regards,

Simon.

The Stan James Team.
  • Options
    Date Event / Market Your Bet Result Return
    17 Oct 2013 11:23 Strictly Come Dancing 2013 Winner, Susanna Reid, 8/1
    Single £10.00 (Pot. Ret. £90.00) Open Open
    03 Oct 2012 13:28 UK Political Specials Next Chancellor of the Exchequer, Ed Balls, 3/1
    Single £20.00 (Pot. Ret. £80.00) Open Open
    01 Oct 2012 10:16 UK Political Specials Next Prime Minister, Ed Miliband, 6/4
    Single £70.00 (Pot. Ret. £175.00) Open Open
  • Options
    Pulpstar - clearly you were winning too much.

Condolences to OGH and his family.
  • Options
    I am up £80 with them...
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

BenM said:

Talking about confusion: how much confusion do you think Miliband's grand plan has caused for the energy investment we desperately need?

Honestly, if Tories get confused by simple concepts like that they prove they're not fit to govern anything.

So we *desperately need* energy investment now? How long have the companies had to provide that investment? Decades.

It leads to uncertainty in the markets, especially when those markets are dominated by costs that are outside of their control.

If Labour cannot understand the markets and investment (and let's make it clear: there are few signs they do) then they are not fit to govern anything.

Companies will not invest unless the conditions are right for them to do so. Part of a government's role is to provide the conditions companies need to invest, whether that investment is in energy, infrastructure, or jobs.

The alternative is to have things under state control, with the state providing the investment. And history shows that investment can be just as bad in that situation.
    Great! So privatisation is *just as bad* as nationalisation with the added benefit of all those profits wrung out of consumers with no proper accountability going to shareholders rather than into investment.

Shall we mark that up as a win for Tory ideology?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I am up £80 with them...

as I said, too much ;-)
  • Options
    On closed accounts: is it perfectly ok to just open a new one? Or does your name/address get added to a List of Forbidden Persons?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Polruan said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

My mortgage deal is coming to an end. What's the pb brains trust advice? Go for fixed rate or tracker? I will be paying a fair chunk of the mortgage off, at the same time, if that makes any difference.

Avoid a 2-3 year fix because you will be toast when you refi.

If you can get a portable 10 year fix at under 5% I'd argue that it's a very good deal long-term.
    Looks like your view and mine are diametrically opposed on the 2-year horizon... just wondering if we can agree a sensible bilateral hedge for my next remortgage on that basis.

Agree with you on the 10y thing tho. Someone was offering a 6 year at 2.99% for 60% LTV recently which looks like a great deal.
    I just suspect the market price will reflect expected rises in interest rates by the end of 2015. So unless you are happy to take that risk, there is a lot of downside in a short-term fix.

Sure we can arrange something. You won't like the spreads though (and our base rate is different to the BoE). We only do fixed for loans above £1m
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes. New members only become so through a treaty of accession. Treaties have to be agreed by all member states and then ratified.

Even if a treaty could be agreed, it's highly optimistic to believe it could happen within 18 months of Nov 2014. If agreement could be reached beforehand, some interim stage - eg EEA membership - might be possible but if it wasn't, Scotland would find itself in a tricky position in relation to the Single Market.

Then again, if Scotland did become independent and rUK then voted to leave the EU, it would make for an interesting decision as to what to do next in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    I always find my brain eliding the tune of Flower Of Scotland with Va, pensiero.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    2010 election result for GB excluding Scotland:

Shares:

Con: 38.8%
    Lab: 28.5%
    LD: 24.0%
    UKIP: 3.4%
    BNP: 2.1%
    Green: 1.0%

Seats:

Con: 305
    Lab: 217
    LD: 46
    PC: 3
    Green: 1
    Speaker: 1
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Plato said:

Plato said:

I think I saw him pop up for a mo on a thread a day or two ago - he's busy eating babies IIRC.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Great! So privatisation is *just as bad* as nationalisation with the added benefit of all those profits wrung out of consumers with no proper accountability going to shareholders rather than into investment.

Shall we mark that up as a win for Tory ideology?
    I would suggest you look at the rather inglorious history of some nationalised industries in the UK.

Privatisation and nationalisation are tools in the toolbox, to be used when the situation best suits. Some industries should be nationalised; others thrive in private hands. Applying the wrong tool to a specific problem for ideological reasons does nothing but harm.

And yes, that goes both ways. I'm rather unsure why the water companies are in private hands, whilst telecoms has flourished privately IMHO. I would need some convincing about why the railways should be renationalised, but am open to persuasion.
This discussion has been closed.