Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exactly five months to go: The EU elections that could mak

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exactly five months to go: The EU elections that could make or break UKIP

On May 22nd next year the whole of the UK will be voting in the elections for the European Parliament yet there’s been very little media coverage and almost no polling. Whilst we have eight or nine Qestminster VI polls a week you have to go back until early October find the last EP2014 survey.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    150-1 on the Lib Dems ?

Should be 15,000,000-1 !
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Turnout in 2009 was 34% - higher or lower this time ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Turnout in 2009 was 34% - higher or lower this time ?

Higher, it was 37.6% in 2004.

So something close to that.

IMO 2009 turnout was depressed by the expenses scandal, and Labour supporters couldn't be arsed to vote especially when it comes to 1) The Euros and 2) Having Gordon as your leader.

That lower turnout is what helped the BNP win seats.
  • Options
    Crikey, look at this CV:

http://www.conservatives.com/News/News_stories/2013/03/Julian_Knight_selected_for_Solihull.aspx

Independent, BBC. But he is going for the Conservatives, NOT the Lib Dems in Solihull ^^;
  • Options
    It could be said, the Euros could make or break few other parties

Does Ed really want to join Neil Kinnock as the only Leader of the Opposition not to win a Euros held in a non election year.

Clegg and the Lib Dems could finish fifth behind the Greens, what's that going to do party morale and Clegg's Leadership?

And Dave, the Tory party will be fevered if UKIP outpoll them, and Dave will be under pressure to give some red meat to win back the Kippers.

If he doesn't, some in the party, may want the party to revert back Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Crikey, look at this CV:

http://www.conservatives.com/News/News_stories/2013/03/Julian_Knight_selected_for_Solihull.aspx

Independent, BBC. But he is going for the Conservatives, NOT the Lib Dems in Solihull ^^;

I like him already

A Party activist for almost a decade, Julian is also the author of six books covering everything from British politics, the eurozone crisis, tax law and how to play cricket.

Perhaps copies of the last book can be sent to Australia
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2013
    Most typos in one OGH piece on record - sack the sub-editor! Nigel Fatage... like that actually.

sorry but the late night cricket has me in a heck of a funk - nailed on double defeat on sunday = england/spurs double.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Crikey, look at this CV:

I like him already

A Party activist for almost a decade, Julian is also the author of six books covering everything from British politics, the eurozone crisis, tax law and how to play cricket.

The draw has drifted into 6.8... getting tempted (To lay ofc).
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    TheScreamingEagles and others: I don't think the Lib Dems will be wiped out in the Euros next year as some are thinking. They are owning the mantle of being pro-Europe ("The party of in") which is a clear and catchy message that is proving easy to get across. Sure, there's a lot of people who strongly oppose it, but when 15% will be seen as a decent result, given the polls showing the stark splits on Europe, having one side to yourself is a useful place to be.

I do wonder, when Labour will actually say anything about Europe. Hopefully the Euros will start to flush out where they stand; it's one area they've avoided at all costs for getting on for 3 years. which is why the Lib Dems are owning turf that would usually be shared.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I don;t see why the labour vote would turn out in 2014. The labour policy is 'more of the same' and people tend not to bother to vote for that.
  • Options
    tim said:

@MichaelPDeacon: Number of Tory backbenchers in chamber for EU referendum debate has now swelled from 1 to 4. UPDATE: as I typed that, it plummeted to 3

Nobody gives a toss

Apart from the Labour MPs frantically trying to wreck the bills progress....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Cometh UKIP, cometh the dawn.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

TheScreamingEagles and others: I don't think the Lib Dems will be wiped out in the Euros next year as some are thinking. They are owning the mantle of being pro-Europe ("The party of in") which is a clear and catchy message that is proving easy to get across. Sure, there's a lot of people who strongly oppose it, but when 15% will be seen as a decent result, given the polls showing the stark splits on Europe, having one side to yourself is a useful place to be.

I do wonder, when Labour will actually say anything about Europe. Hopefully the Euros will start to flush out where they stand; it's one area they've avoided at all costs for getting on for 3 years. which is why the Lib Dems are owning turf that would usually be shared.

I do wonder if the Lib Dems will also get a boost from Dave dumping his Pro Green credentials.

I only said they may finish fifth, based on the Mori poll showing the Greens one point behind UKIP and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Crikey, look at this CV:

I like him already

The draw has drifted into 6.8... getting tempted (To lay ofc).
    I did read that there may be some dodgy weather ahead.

This was the type of cricket I grew up with.

Christ, next we'll be picking Gavin Hamilton and Mark Lathwell
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Cometh UKIP, cometh the dawn.

Something of the night about them ?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    taffys said:

I don;t see why the labour vote would turn out in 2014. The labour policy is 'more of the same' and people tend not to bother to vote for that.

The Labour vote will turn out for the local elections, which next year are in London boroughs and some other areas, mostly urban ones where Labour is strong. Turnout in areas where there are local elections will be much higher than in areas where there are Euros only and this will push up the Labour vote share.
  • Options
    think the big 3 should be 2/1 each so value lies with the blues imo
  • Options
    Thoughts on the test:

OK after the moves:

Lay Draw @ 6.8 (£10/-£58)
    Back Eng @ 36 (£2)

Aus +41.80
    Eng +68.68
    Draw -75.90

Saturday is forecast to be a day interrupted by showers, but a hot day. So the outfield will dry up quickly after any showers. In addition that can be disruptive to a batting team. If Australia get bogged down I think Broady can do damage and get through their lower order. Also light is probably not going to be a factor in Australia (Unlike in England). The pitch must have SOMETHING in it (I've not watched) for 20 wickets to fall in the first two days - no reason Australia can't collapse in the 2nd innings.

The forecast for Sunday and Monday are both good, so likelihood is that Saturday will be the only rain affected day.

Of course Australia could bat on too long, but Clarke is an aggresive minded captain and so will declare when Aus are maybe 550ish ahead I reckon. With aggresive batting I think they can get there quickly enough - And then there may well be enough overs so that if England can save the game they can win it.

I think the result is an Australia win, but with the draw price being a bit too short and England's price maybe a teeny tiny smidgen too long.
  • Options

taffys said:

The Labour vote will turn out for the local elections, which next year are in London boroughs and some other areas, mostly urban ones where Labour is strong. Turnout in areas where there are local elections will be much higher than in areas where there are Euros only and this will push up the Labour vote share.
    "I will love it if we beat them. Love it!"
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Pulpstar said:

Crikey, look at this CV:

Does this make it look more likely that Lorely will be going for a Burton then?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Crikey, look at this CV:

Solihull is CON gain nailed on next GE.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited November 2013
    I do think there's a reason for a lack of polling on the Euros.

Newspapers only have finite resources, and there's one electoral event that's going to major ramifications next year, and it aint the Euros, so they are saving their money for that.

So in short, I blame the Scots and Alex Salmond.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Local elections produce a significantly bigger turnout that standalone Euros. Unlike in 2009, there'll be simultaneous local elections in all the big English metro areas, including London. By contrast, last time, the local elections were in the county council areas and it was the one in four years when there were *not* metro-district elections. That should give Labour a substantial boost.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anyone got an idea for a really amazing, tense, stunning, high concept literary thriller they don't need? I'm paying cash money. £5 minimum. Maybe more.

Something involving a high class thriller writer meeting a gay methodist turned banker who is facing stories involving inter alia, fraud, sex crimes, rent boys and drugs.

Or would people not think that's plausible?
  • Options
    ''The Labour vote will turn out for the local elections, which next year are in London boroughs and some other areas, mostly urban ones where Labour is strong.''

Inner London is an interesting one. We read that you can't buy a garden shed for less than a quarter of a million, even in the poorest boroughs of the city, and yet labour claims to remain 'strong' here.

Something somewhere doesn't add up.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Crikey, look at this CV:

After the notorious "Jack Dromey" thread, I can't see the letters BBC on PB without doing a VERY big double take. Almost like a gag reflex.
    They do say BBC's do cause gag reflexes, literally and figuratively.
  • Options

taffys said:

See the list - these are overwhelmingly Labour areas. On past form turnout in these areas will be perhaps 30-50% above turnout in areas which don't have local elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014
  • Options
    Very tempted to vote UKIP just to help them edge the Tories into second or very possibly third place :)
  • Options

tpfkar said:

I do wonder if the Lib Dems will also get a boost from Dave dumping his Pro Green credentials.

I only said they may finish fifth, based on the Mori poll showing the Greens one point behind UKIP and the Lib Dems.
    You might be on to something there - again it's about the Lib Dems being given full ownership of an issue with plenty of supporters. However I'm concerned (both in policy and electoral terms) about whether the Lib Dems will give way on levies etc. - if so we'll take the blame and feel little is more important at the moment than fighting this off, in accordance with Coalition agreement. Personally, I looked hard at the Tories when DC became leader thanks to issues like these; I made my choice and am now a LD councillor, but if I'd stayed on the fence I wouldn't give the Tories a second thought now.
  • Options
    The Metropolitan Police are outrageous. How is it proper, when there are active criminal proceedings against two people, to reveal that they were previously arrested in the 1970s? Whether or not the fact of that arrest should be put before a jury is a matter for a judge of the Crown Court, and the police's motivation can only be to generate prejudicial news coverage against they two people they have in custody.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

You might be on to something there - again it's about the Lib Dems being given full ownership of an issue with plenty of supporters. However I'm concerned (both in policy and electoral terms) about whether the Lib Dems will give way on levies etc. - if so we'll take the blame and feel little is more important at the moment than fighting this off, in accordance with Coalition agreement. Personally, I looked hard at the Tories when DC became leader thanks to issues like these; I made my choice and am now a LD councillor, but if I'd stayed on the fence I wouldn't give the Tories a second thought now.
    Right on!!... keep campaigning for those higher fuel bills..
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

There's another area that the Lib Dems could emphasise.

Trident replacement.

IIRC Labour are still in favour, so there's a party out there, if you're Pro-Green, Pro-Europe and Anti-Nuclear Weapons
  • Options

taffys said:

See the list - these are overwhelmingly Labour areas. On past form turnout in these areas will be perhaps 30-50% above turnout in areas which don't have local elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014
    Like I said, I will love it!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

taffys said:

Local elections produce a significantly bigger turnout that standalone Euros. Unlike in 2009, there'll be simultaneous local elections in all the big English metro areas, including London. By contrast, last time, the local elections were in the county council areas and it was the one in four years when there were *not* metro-district elections. That should give Labour a substantial boost.
    I'm not convinced. Labour didn't get any major boost in the Euro elections of 2004, despite all-out Metropolitan Borough elections being held on the same day.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Very tempted to vote UKIP just to help them edge the Tories into second or very possibly third place :)

I thought you had a job now - so you should be voting Tory again...
  • Options
    Next said:

But to see the look on Dave's face the morning after...
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

How would you feel / do you think people would respond if the compromise was that alluded to by Clegg - that the subsidies are taken off peoples bills, but are retained and paid for from general taxation? Personally my issue with this solution is that to be transparent and believable, you have to say what you are cutting that wouldn't have been cut otherwise, or what tax rise you are implementing that wouldn't have happened otherwise - and that is a hostage to fortune from papers / anti's complaining that the new method is worse than the old...
  • Options

Next said:

But what will your mother say?

IIRC, you said she was even less keen on UKIP than the Tories.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Next said:

You share a fantasy with tim.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

taffys said:

I'm not convinced. Labour didn't get any major boost in the Euro elections of 2004, despite all-out Metropolitan Borough elections being held on the same day.
    And, not just Met borough elections, but also London Assembly and Mayoral elections.

• Options

tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

Trident replacement.

IIRC Labour are still in favour, so there's a party out there, if you're Pro-Green, Pro-Europe and Anti-Nuclear Weapons
    What if you're Pro-Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

:)
  • Options

tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

Trident replacement.

Who should I vote for, I'm pro-Drugs, pro Gay marriage, anti-EU, anti-(Politician's) Green, pro renationalisation (For some monopoly utilities) ?
  • Options

tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

Right on!!... keep campaigning for those higher fuel bills..
    Shush!

I'm offering the Lib Dems some very good advice, don't ruin it.
  • Options

My best guess is that the percentage shares will end up something like:-

UKIP 27%,
    Labour 25%,
    Conservative 20%,
    Lib Dem 10%,
    Green 8%,
    Others 10%.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

If the Tories had more than one brain cell they would have used the coalition to embrace people like you with open arms and recreate the truly national force that they once were. As a Labour supporter I'm glad they didn't, but I still can't quite believe that they have bungled such a golden opportunity.
  • Options
    Sunil/Pulpstar

You should vote for me.

As the Country's First Directly Elected Dictator I would largely implement those policies.
  • Options

Next said:

I would make a pact with the Devil Farage to defeat Cameron.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    taffys said:

''The Labour vote will turn out for the local elections, which next year are in London boroughs and some other areas, mostly urban ones where Labour is strong.''

Inner London is an interesting one. We read that you can't buy a garden shed for less than a quarter of a million, even in the poorest boroughs of the city, and yet labour claims to remain 'strong' here.

You can rent a garden shed in East London for about £400 a month... and in Jan Feb I predict plenty of new tenants

• Options

Next said:

I would make a pact with the Devil Farage to defeat Cameron.
    If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

tpfkar said:

Why take notice of one freak poll showing Greens at 7% when all the other polls show them at 2 to 3% ?
  • Options

Sunil/Pulpstar

You should vote for me.

As the Country's First Directly Elected Dictator I would largely implement those policies.

Will you reorganise the United Kingdom into the First Galactic Empire? For a safe and secure society?
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Why take notice of one freak poll showing Greens at 7% when all the other polls show them at 2 to 3% ?
    'Cause it was a phone poll.

But yes I concede, no one should be using just one freakish poll.
  • Options

Sunil/Pulpstar

You should vote for me.

Will you reorganise the United Kingdom into the First Galactic Empire? For a safe and secure society?
    Yes, and I'd make The Queen the Empress of India and America.

One of my policies is for us to take control of all the countries that used to be part of the British Empire.

All my plans would be funded by taxing all the countries we've ever been at war with, 15% of their GDP as a tribute.
  • Options
    ''and in Jan Feb I predict plenty of new tenants''

I think 2014 will be the first election with individual voter registration, interesting to see if it makes any difference at all.
  • Options
    isam said:

taffys said:

You can rent a garden shed in East London for about £400 a month... and in Jan Feb I predict plenty of new tenants

Labour strength in London is largely due to the high proportion of ethnic minority voters, the "metropolitan liberal" view of many people, even those high up the income scale, and also the to the collapse of Tpry organisation at the local level in many areas. I live in a constituency that had a Tory MP and 20 Tory councillors before 1992. Now there are no Tory elected representatives at all at any level. The party barely exists on the ground. This pattern is reflected in many areas of London.
  • Options

Not the Libdems though (and I ain't talking about Vince's trousers).

'The Lib Dems have endorsed a plan to significantly reduce Britain's nuclear deterrent by ending regular patrols by submarines armed with Trident missiles. By 322 votes to 228, the conference rejected a call for Britain to scrap the nuclear deterrent altogether. '
  • Options

isam said:

taffys said:

Labour strength in London is largely due to the high proportion of ethnic minority voters, the "metropolitan liberal" view of many people, even those high up the income scale, and also the to the collapse of Tpry organisation at the local level in many areas. I live in a constituency that had a Tory MP and 20 Tory councillors before 1992. Now there are no Tory elected representatives at all at any level. The party barely exists on the ground. This pattern is reflected in many areas of London.
    Politically, London is really a collection of towns and villages. There are areas of great strength and weakness for all three parties.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited November 2013

Not the Libdems though (and I ain't talking about Vince's trousers).

'The Lib Dems have endorsed a plan to significantly reduce Britain's nuclear deterrent by ending regular patrols by submarines armed with Trident missiles. By 322 votes to 228, the conference rejected a call for Britain to scrap the nuclear deterrent altogether. '
    I still think there's a possibility Vince Cable will deploy his nuclear weapon in 2014
  • Options

I still think there's a possibility Vince Cable will deploy his nuclear weapon in 2014

I think he's forgotten the launch codes.

• Options
    Well fuck me Raceclear tipped a winner.
  • Options
    ''Politically, London is really a collection of towns and villages. There are areas of great strength and weakness for all three parties. ''

I'm sure you're right, but I wonder if the stuff we read about soaring property values, the 'bedroom tax' and councils housing people outside their boroughs is changing the demographics at all.

There have been plenty of warnings that all of the above would do just that...'ethinc cleansing' and the like.
  • Options
    @TSE - All my plans would be funded by taxing all the countries we've ever been at war with, 15% of their GDP as a tribute.

Given our history, couldn’t you make an exception and up France’s share of tribute the 30% ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    SeanT

Fatherland was a well known political thriller set in a world where Hitler had won WW2. Maybe you could do a future thriller in a world where the EUSSR was running and ruining the EU from Brussels and a plucky Brit hero leads the resistance movement...chuck in a bit of Chinese superpowerplay / the USA is bankrupt, a couple of superhot Kazakh hookers who are not what they seem, a HUGE evil secret that lies behind EU party chairman comrade Dubois' rise to power and the emergence of brainwave mapping & mind control - what's not to like?
  • Options

@TSE - All my plans would be funded by taxing all the countries we've ever been at war with, 15% of their GDP as a tribute.

Given our history, couldn’t you make an exception and up France’s share of tribute the 30% ?

No, because, one of my policies is to make the French honour the Treaty of Troyes, so the Queen becomes the Queen of France.

And we'll be able to take 100% of their GDP.
  • Options

Finishing fifth behind the Greens in a UK wide election might help focus the minds and cause Vince to remember
  • Options
    edited November 2013

There is no downside to voting any way -MEP's are filed under chocolate teapot

isam said:

taffys said:

Now there are no Tory elected representatives at all at any level.
    Apart from - er - the mayor .....

• Options

No, because, one of my policies is to make the French honour the Treaty of Troyes, so the Queen becomes the Queen of France.

And we'll be able to take 100% of their GDP.

You just won my vote - where do I sign up..?
  • Options

Finishing fifth behind the Greens in a UK wide election might help focus the minds and cause Vince to remember
    Remember what... the way to the toilet?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,068
    SeanT

Perhaps you could write a psychological thriller about a lonely Liverpudlian who spams a political blog with thousands of posts from his one-room bedsit. The drama starts when he realises the shadowy figures paying him a penny-a-post are actually the political enemies he is smearing.

As the story develops, he realises he is part of a grand conspiracy including toffs, the MMR jab, immigrants, the EU and housing. His foil is a z-list ad director who advises women to work as hairdressers.

It ends with a man defusing a nuclear bomb by crying at a funeral.

A minor character is a mad engineer who sits huddled in a corner whilst wittering to himself about high-speed rail ...
  • Options

To remove Clegg and disentangle the Lib Dems from the coalition, so they stop playing the role of the hated Vichy Collaborationists to the evil Nazi Tory Party.

Remember, it could be in Dave's interests for the Lib Dems to replace Clegg with someone like Cable or Farron and/or leave the coalition.

Might be able to reverse a fair chunk of those LD > Lab switchers.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Slackbladder - it's a myth that green policies are the core driver of energy rises. Energy price inflation is running at 8% and if you want to tackle fuel bills you need to tackle that; increasing supply is the obvious route, although I like the aspect of Labour's plans to restore the exchange / pool for energy (basically ringfencing supply / retail in energy market, similar to Govt plans for banks.)

Lennon - I could probably live with transferring to taxation as long as amounts for green generation were maintained or ideally increased (that would be my price) However what we have is fairer as there's an incentive to use less energy when green levies come from energy bills, and moving to general taxation removes that. Particularly true for corporates if it's a switch to income tax. I wouldn't consider any reduction in levies acceptable.

TSE: Do you have a vacancy for a vice-dictator? (Although I think "Dictactor of Vice" sounds better.) On nuclear weapons, the LD policy is daft and we'll deservedly be attacked on it from right and left at the election. The part-time deterrent is a compromise I can't see working politically or in practice. I'm pro-nuclear energy as it's the most practical way to secure supply and get carbon emissions down.

anothernick: I think the truth is that there's a lot of Tories who didn't like Cameron but shut up as they thought he might get them elected. Once in power they felt they had authority to start whinging and heaving their weight around as if they were the issues they got elected for. So any embrace for the likes of us would only work in opposition.

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    tpfkar said:

I think the truth is that there's a lot of Tories who didn't like Cameron but shut up as they thought he might get them elected. Once in power they felt they had authority to start whinging and heaving their weight around as if they were the issues they got elected for. So any embrace for the likes of us would only work in opposition.

Alternatively Cameron was elected despite those policies, because Brown was so bad?
  • Options

generate prejudicial news coverage against they two people they have in custody.

out on bail......

• Options
    Next said:

tpfkar said:

I think the truth is that there's a lot of Tories who didn't like Cameron but shut up as they thought he might get them elected. Once in power they felt they had authority to start whinging and heaving their weight around as if they were the issues they got elected for. So any embrace for the likes of us would only work in opposition.

Alternatively Cameron was elected despite those policies, because Brown was so bad?
    Brown was fecking awful, that the conservatives couldn't win a majority in 2010 despite being 7 or 8 points ahead in the polls just underlines Labour's huge FPTP advantage. (37 vs 29.5 iirc)
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    tpfkar said:

However what we have is fairer as there's an incentive to use less energy when green levies come from energy bills, and moving to general taxation removes that.

Well yes this would be the grown up way to go about reducing energy usage but since cost of living is now the political battle you'll struggle to make that argument.
  • Options
    tpfkar - It is possible for someone to be pro-nuclear power and against spending money on a replacement for trident.

I'm actually thinking of becoming the Directly Elected Legitimate Tyrant.

A Vice-Tyrant would be good.

Although Mr Dancer would say I'm like Agathocles of Syracuse.

Anyway don't forget people, Doctor Who 50th Anniversary on tomorrow night, don't miss it.

I'm about to get my geek on.
  • Options
    Ha ha, nicely done @JosiasJessop!
  • Options

out on bail......

It makes no difference. Criminal proceedings are still active for the purposes of the Contempt of Court Act 1981, and the strict liability rule applies. Remember it is no defence for a publisher to say "I was merely reporting what the police said" (cf the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester & the Prime Minister's comments on Cregan).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    FPT.
    Why do you not put up all the university voting Scott, all 3 in the last few weeks have been landslides for yes. Of course they are just a bit older and wiser and realise the truth. It is real fun seeing the dopey unionists relying on the odd vote of 16 year olds to justify their position whilst ignoring getting slaughtered at every cut and turn.
  • Options

SeanT

Perhaps you could write a psychological thriller about a lonely Liverpudlian who spams a political blog with thousands of posts from his one-room bedsit. The drama starts when he realises the shadowy figures paying him a penny-a-post are actually the political enemies he is smearing.

As the story develops, he realises he is part of a grand conspiracy including toffs, the MMR jab, immigrants, the EU and housing. His foil is a z-list ad director who advises women to work as hairdressers.

A minor character is a mad engineer who sits huddled in a corner whilst wittering to himself about high-speed rail ...

Heh heh heh.

You appear to be in fine spirits after the Cons swept back to power defeating the yellow peril in your manor last night..
  • Options
    Who is interested in a boring story about a banker? The British public - the Philippines natural disaster tops the list, (36%) followed by Labour's Porn again Christian Crystal Methodist (12%) while those topics that politicians (and us anoraks) witter on about like immigration (1.2%), the NHS (1.1%), Energy Prices (1%) or the Economy (0.8%) are left trailing in the dust.....

@PopulusPolls: Top Ten most noticed news stories this week #TTMN | Typhoon still dominates, Flowers registers but 1 in 4 say "None" pic.twitter.com/EFklBivNFD
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/News/Benefits_cap_exodus_fails_to_materialise_in_third_most_expensive_borough.asp

On London demography, it seems the predicted mass exodus due to the benefits cap has not happened. This according to Hammersmith and Fulham. Private landlords simply caved in and struck deals with the council at much lower rents.

There are wider implications. Under labour councils could have been forking over stacks of taxpayers money to profiteering landlords for years.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    edited November 2013

To remove Clegg and disentangle the Lib Dems from the coalition, so they stop playing the role of the hated Vichy Collaborationists to the evil Nazi Tory Party.

Remember, it could be in Dave's interests for the Lib Dems to replace Clegg with someone like Cable or Farron and/or leave the coalition.

Might be able to reverse a fair chunk of those LD > Lab switchers.
    Might reverse a fair chunk of LD > Lab switchers, at the almost certain expense of losing a load of current LD voters who actual believe in fiscal sanity...

...If it wasn't obvious - I think that such a blatant about face is suicidal
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Patrick said:

SeanT

Fatherland was a well known political thriller set in a world where Hitler had won WW2. Maybe you could do a future thriller in a world where the EUSSR was running and ruining the EU from Brussels and a plucky Brit hero leads the resistance movement...chuck in a bit of Chinese superpowerplay / the USA is bankrupt, a couple of superhot Kazakh hookers who are not what they seem, a HUGE evil secret that lies behind EU party chairman comrade Dubois' rise to power and the emergence of brainwave mapping & mind control - what's not to like?

You mean a bit like the Aachen Memorandum?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aachen-Memorandum-Andrew-Roberts/dp/1849542961
  • Options

out on bail......

It makes no difference. Criminal proceedings are still active for the purposes of the Contempt of Court Act 1981, and the strict liability rule applies. Remember it is no defence for a publisher to say "I was merely reporting what the police said" (cf the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester & the Prime Minister's comments on Cregan).
    Given the nature of the alleged offences I was surprised they were out on bail.....it sounds as though the police may be having difficulty building the case, given the gap between initial release and arrests.....

• Options
    taffys said:

''and in Jan Feb I predict plenty of new tenants''

I think 2014 will be the first election with individual voter registration, interesting to see if it makes any difference at all.

No - the 2014 register will be complied on the old basis. IER will come in for 2015 but if I have understood the (very complex) procedure correctly people who have not completed the IER form will not be taken off the register until after GE 2015.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT

Dude, that actually made me chuckle, out loud. Properly. The nuclear bomb thing was the clincher.

You have hidden talents. Which I could weave into the plot...
    Thanks. High praise indeed.

To spoil things by being serious, how about a political thriller? You know a great deal about the subject (simply be being on here), and UK-based political thrillers are rather thin on the ground. Although there might be a reason for that ...

Dobbs's 'House of Cards' trilogy was brilliant, but what have we had since then? Harris's 'The Ghost' was really disappointing in a "oh, please" way. It seems to me that there's acres of fertile ground to be exploited. The problem would be giving it mass appeal, but your track record on that is good.
  • Options

out on bail......

We probably shouldn't discuss the case here then...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    My guess is that UKIP will come 3rd behind Labour and the tories in that order. I think the bubble is deflating now.

If there was anyone in my ward who promised if elected never to go to Brussels and not to claim any salary or expenses (ruling out UKIP obviously) they would have my vote in a heart beat. Whilst I am not irrevocably committed to leaving the EU the European Parliament is right up there with the most useless and pointless inventions mankind has ever come up with. I am amazed it is not on this list: http://list25.com/25-most-useless-inventions-ever/
  • Options

Who is interested in a boring story about a banker? The British public - the Philippines natural disaster tops the list, (36%) followed by Labour's Porn again Christian Crystal Methodist (12%) while those topics that politicians (and us anoraks) witter on about like immigration (1.2%), the NHS (1.1%), Energy Prices (1%) or the Economy (0.8%) are left trailing in the dust.....

@PopulusPolls: Top Ten most noticed news stories this week #TTMN | Typhoon still dominates, Flowers registers but 1 in 4 say "None" pic.twitter.com/EFklBivNFD

Just spent a pleasant couple of hours chatting with the former Chairman of Co-op... (not that one.... an earlier one... eye-popping stuff....)
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

anothernick: I think the truth is that there's a lot of Tories who didn't like Cameron but shut up as they thought he might get them elected. Once in power they felt they had authority to start whinging and heaving their weight around as if they were the issues they got elected for. So any embrace for the likes of us would only work in opposition.

Yes this is clearly the case. I had thought the Tories would put the political interests of their party before their own personal hobbyhorses (as they did in the 1920s and 30s when they co-opted the National Liberals and National Labour MPs). But fortunately for Labour they completely failed to grasp this historic opportunity.
  • Options

out on bail......

Given the nature of the alleged offences I was surprised they were out on bail.....it sounds as though the police may be having difficulty building the case, given the gap between initial release and arrests.....

Police bail may have been granted due to (1) the age of the defendants, (2) low probability of the commission of further offences, and (3) limited chance of interference with witnesses, as well as evidential difficulties. Given that Labour felt it necessary, via section 71 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 to make holding a person in slavery or servitude a criminal offence, can we assume that what this couple are alleged to have done was legal until 6 April 2010 when that provision came into force? A cynic might argue that Labour was in the habit of polluting the statute book with superfluous criminal offences to please interest groups.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How is Labours' "It's all a Tory smear, we never met the guy" day going?

@rosschawkins: A detail from the docs, Flowers was on Co-op Party NEC for 6 years, alongside Lab MPs inc shadow ministers http://t.co/pxy47o64AE
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT

Heh heh heh.

You appear to be in fine spirits after the Cons swept back to power defeating the yellow peril in your manor last night..
    It's not quite my manor - it's more like the south-facing walled fruit garden adjacent to my manor.

Although I go to Comberton regularly and often cycle through it.

I forgot to say thanks to Harry for his excellent threader last night.
  • Options

Given that Labour felt it necessary, via section 71 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 to make holding a person in slavery or servitude a criminal offence, can we assume that what this couple are alleged to have done was legal until 6 April 2010 when that provision came into force? .

Without commenting on the specific case, IIRC the various Wilberforce Acts (1) made the trade in slaves illegal (2) authorised the RN to board any ships of any nation suspected of engaging in the trade and (3) against compensation freed any slave who set foot on British soil. Hence, I suppose you could argue that in the UK slavery is impossible - until 2009 as you say - but equally presumably they could be accused of false imprisonment or something?
  • Options
    ''No - the 2014 register will be complied on the old basis''

The BBC says from 2014 individual voter registration will be compulsory for 1. new voters
    2. Anyone voting by proxy or by post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18002966
  • Options
    Anthony Wells on 'private polling' and 'the incumbency effect':

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8431

I think his 'show us your tables or it doesn't exist' is a good rule of thumb....
  • Options

out on bail......

Police bail may have been granted due to (1) the age of the defendants, (2) low probability of the commission of further offences, and (3) limited chance of interference with witnesses, as well as evidential difficulties. Given that Labour felt it necessary, via section 71 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 to make holding a person in slavery or servitude a criminal offence, can we assume that what this couple are alleged to have done was legal until 6 April 2010 when that provision came into force? A cynic might argue that Labour was in the habit of polluting the statute book with superfluous criminal offences to please interest groups.
    I'm looking through the various 1800 slave acts - all seem to be concerned with the 'trading' of slaves. SO far as I am aware noone was 'traded' here... What laws have actually been broken up to 2010 ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ITVRichard: An announcement from the Bank of England on Co-op Bank coming in the next 25 mins, I gather.
  • Options

Anthony Wells on 'private polling' and 'the incumbency effect':

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8431

I think his 'show us your tables or it doesn't exist' is a good rule of thumb....

I expect there to be an incumbency effect, but it’s going to make a couple of points of difference, not 16 points. It’s one of the reasons I think the Conservatives could probably get a majority with a 7 or 8 point lead rather than 11 point lead they need on paper, why the Labour party need a slightly bigger lead than what a uniform swing suggests. It’ll be a small effect at the margins though, not something that transforms the election. It makes the election a bit harder for Labour to win than uniform swing suggests, but not much. It makes seats a little easier for the Conservatives to defend, but they still have a mountain to climb.

Sounds about right.
This discussion has been closed.