Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reminder – Next Dirty Dicks do, Next Wednesday Nov 20th 6.3

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reminder – Next Dirty Dicks do, Next Wednesday Nov 20th 6.30 pm

The next PB gathering will be at the Dirty Dicks pub just across the road from Liverpool Street Station in London from 1830 on Wednesday November 20th. These have become very much a tradition and a good time is generally had by all.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    It will make a change from the drinks being financed by tim's betting losses ;)
  • Options
    Going to mostly follow the F1 practice (starts in 5 minutes), but pleased to see the All Blacks are putting England to the sword. Somewhat concerned that Wales may beat Argentina by too many points (21-40 would be splendid).
  • Options
    @tim

You should know by now that PB Tories arent picky about where our free drinks come from. Though I bet that JohnO and Richard Nabavi will have exhausted the tab by the time I get there.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I'll be there and offer a toast SeanT's Jammy sidelines. ;D
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

Going to mostly follow the F1 practice (starts in 5 minutes), but pleased to see the All Blacks are putting England to the sword. Somewhat concerned that Wales may beat Argentina by too many points (21-40 would be splendid).

17-10 is not exactly '[to the sword' Good luck with your various bets today, Morris :)
  • Options
    Thanks, Mr. Pulpstar.

It was 15-3, I think, when I posted that. (Slight delay as I'm only occasionally checking the text updates on the BBC).
  • Options
    @tim

Aww, tim! I'm hurt. But it's important that people are reminded of your poor betting record to put your analysis of any given political situation into proper context.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,028
    Long-time reader but rare commenter. Previous thread and posts were very interesting and I agree that David Herdson should write even more.

The middle class is not the most helpful concept any more, since most people now belong to it. In today's grammar school counties, the top of the middle class does better, while everyone below that does worse ((c) Chris Cook). Poor kids do worse because they tend to fall behind before the eleven plus. This means grammar schools aren't very good for social mobility. But the upper-middle classes who get an opportunity to compete against the very rich will see them as REALLY good for social mobility. I think it's a good example of NIMBY behaviour: a small group who oppose a change that would help everyone else a little, but who themselves have so much to lose.

One thing I did try here once was to examine the reasons why voters keep voting for polite upper-middle class politicians in practice, even though they praise George Galloway/Nigel Farage more. Capture isn't the only necessary explanation. People may want a big cohort of reliable politicians to whom they don't much mind delegating the overwhelming power of the state (red buttons and all that), but also a small cadre of dramatic but essentially amateur scourges to warn the professional majority away from becoming completely disconnected. In an age when professional and managerial politics dominates class politics, we shouldn't expect voters to insist on working-class MPs any more than they insist on working-class accountants or solicitors (not that the modern working-class is very big or homogenous, anyway). When there isn't a strong, united class interest to defend, there's no need to have a politican bound by identity to that interest.
  • Options
    England still in with every chance :)
  • Options
    F1: McLaren seem to have hired Jeremy Clarkson for their merchandising :p

"BBC Sport's chief F1 writer Andrew Benson in Austin:

"Things in Formula 1 you couldn't make up, chapter 327. It was discovered on Friday that Mexican flags being sold on McLaren merchandising stands here for fans who wanted to support Sergio Perez had the image of a cannabis plant on them - the result of someone from what McLaren describe as 'a third company sub-contractor of an agent' the team use searching on the internet for a picture of a Mexican flag to use as the basis for the design and choosing one with the plant on it, thinking it was the genuine one.

"McLaren, who had no input into the situation, have put out a statement of apology and removed the flags. An interesting aside is that the agency is owned by Prodrive, the motorsport company owned by former F1 team boss and current Aston Martin chairman David Richards.""
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    I thought all politicians these days came from the muddle class.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Too far too fast or something like that. Never really did understand what Ed Balls was talking about.

Hope everyone has a good time though. I am giving serious thought to the Yorkshire proposal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Too far too fast or something like that. Never really did understand what Ed Balls was talking about.

Hope everyone has a good time though. I am giving serious thought to the Yorkshire proposal.

I'll definitely be at the Yorkshire meet. This is the one next year for the TdF right ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I'll definitely be at the Yorkshire meet. This is the one next year for the TdF right ?
    That's my understanding. As long as it is not too near one of my cricket weekends I would really look forward to it.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    England 19-New Zealand 20 after 56 mins
  • Options
    Hulkenberg put in the fastest lap, then improved. Be a damned shame if he doesn't get the Lotus seat (odds are Maldonado will get it).
  • Options
    Right, off to walk the hound, then I'll return and see about doing the pre-qualifying piece.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Sri Lanka

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24970403

"Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has reacted defiantly to the UK's call for an inquiry into alleged human rights abuses, saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Pro-government commentators have pointed to alleged abuses under British colonial rule to suggest Britain has no moral right to criticise Sri Lanka"

Mr Rajapaksa made an oblique reference to Bloody Sunday, when 13 civilians were shot dead in Northern Ireland by the British army in 1972"

Disgusting comments. Cameron should stand up and say it like it is.
  • Options
    OT - but for lovers of Scandarama Borgen starts tonight on BBC4 at 9.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

@tim

Aww, tim! I'm hurt. But it's important that people are reminded of your poor betting record to put your analysis of any given political situation into proper context.

Sadly, I won't be there (casts vocal imprecations at whoever chose that bloody date) as I shall be presiding - with magisterial dignity and fearsome authority - over the Reichselmbridgeische Cabinet at the Esher Rathaus.

Anschluss with Bournemouth has been postponed to next year.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    "...thanks to the generosity of SeanT some of the drinks will be free. He’s passed over a sum to the organiser, Fat Steve, which should get the evening going and allow us to toast him"

Please ignore the following:
    Is somebody you toast toast?
  • Options
    No tip, but the pre-qualifying piece is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/america-pre-qualifying.html

Bottas and the Saubers might be interesting in qualifying.
  • Options
    Mixed bag after the England and Wales matches. I'm hoping Ireland slaughter Australia, preferably after conceding a 1 point half-time deficit to the Wallabies.

I also want Tonga to beat France. No bets on that, it'd just be amusing.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I couldn't log on to PB from my work intranet. The offending word "dicks" was the reason !
  • Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87
    There are two points here:

1. I grant you that the upper middle class gains the most from grammar schools and will tend to pre-dominate within them such schools do provide an opportunity for a minority of very able or motivated lower middle class/working class education to benefit from a selective education, an opportunity they simply would not have without Grammar schools.

2. It is undoubtedly the case that the existence of grammar schools means that the majority of children suffer to a degree from the absence of the abler/more motivated children who have gone to grammar schools. However the fact is that without the existence of the grammar schools there is no ladder for anyone outside the elite to climb up to the elite (whether from the upper middle class or lower social groups).

Therefore the choice is this:

a) Have state funded selective education which creates a ladder for the middle class and below into the elites. That ladder will be dominated by those in the upper end of the middle class but there will still be at least the possibility of those further down to rise up the greasy pole; or

b) retain the comprehensive system, in which case the mass of children will benefit to a small degree from being educated alongside those better motivated and abler than themselves. In this system there will is the opportunity for social mobility within the mass of the population but there will be an opaque (rather than glass because it is very obvious) ceiling between them and the elites, who will be privately educated.

I agree with more or less everything you say in your second paragraph.
    EPG said:

Long-time reader but rare commenter. Previous thread and posts were very interesting and I agree that David Herdson should write even more.

The middle class is not the most helpful concept any more, since most people now belong to it. In today's grammar school counties, the top of the middle class does better, while everyone below that does worse ((c) Chris Cook). Poor kids do worse because they tend to fall behind before the eleven plus. This means grammar schools aren't very good for social mobility. But the upper-middle classes who get an opportunity to compete against the very rich will see them as REALLY good for social mobility. I think it's a good example of NIMBY behaviour: a small group who oppose a change that would help everyone else a little, but who themselves have so much to lose.

• Options
    I see @JohnO's avatar is a pic of him with Mr. Cameron

He must be REALLY REALLY important - the PM I'm talking about
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Why are selective schools such a big issue in England ? It is still a hangover of privilege.

?rmany, Sweden do not have this. Are they less successful over the last 50 years ? I will happily take what they have achieved.

Fitalass, with whom I agree very little, wrote a very good post on this topic which I totally agreed with.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I see @JohnO's avatar is a pic of him with Mr. Cameron

He must be REALLY REALLY important - the PM I'm talking about

Personally, I think it is great how much time JohnO puts into connecting with the grassroots of the party
  • Options
    Pong said:

Sri Lanka

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24970403

"Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has reacted defiantly to the UK's call for an inquiry into alleged human rights abuses, saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Pro-government commentators have pointed to alleged abuses under British colonial rule to suggest Britain has no moral right to criticise Sri Lanka"

Mr Rajapaksa made an oblique reference to Bloody Sunday, when 13 civilians were shot dead in Northern Ireland by the British army in 1972"

Disgusting comments. Cameron should stand up and say it like it is.

Cammo has fled to Dubai; much more democratic there. LOL
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Neil said:

It will make a change from the drinks being financed by tim's betting losses ;)

That touched a nerve.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    surbiton said:

I couldn't log on to PB from my work intranet. The offending word "dicks" was the reason !

Terry Dicks successfully campaigned with the slogan I Love Dicks.

• Options
    Ireland Versus Australia in about 13 minutes or so. I'll watch the start then switch to qualifying (commences 6pm).
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    What I said about Farage's back operation this morning on PB, now confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24972028

Said to be in serious pain!

This discussion has been closed.