Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : November 14th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : November 14th 2013

Seaton on Allderdale (Ind Defence)
Result of last election (2011): Lab 28, Ind 16, Con 12 (No Overall Control, Lab and Opposition tied)
Result of ward at last election (2011): Emboldened denotes elected
Independent 1,055, 641
Labour 779, 586
Green 304
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    first
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Can Ukip see Labour home in Bournemouth ?
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    The Commies look a good shout in Stoke.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    In fact, scratch that, I see they are not standing. Disappointing.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited November 2013
    The non person formerly known as Comrade Tony deleted, and Commissar Gordon erased from Edward's History of Heroic Labour Strivers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24942040

Personally I prefer Comrade Beria's 9mm methods.
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Falkirk.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited November 2013
    Off-topic:

The best definition...
    It's because leftism is like a religion to some people. They can't stand anyone else being different or having a different viewpoint. Take a look at all of that year zero crap as an example of how the left tries to extinguish opposing views in order to advance their cause. People on the left are the least open minded I have ever come across.
    [ Src.: http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/164504/#Comment_164504 ]

of...

:tumbleweed:

'evah'!!!

Now back to my steak, spuds, cauli and carrots (with cider libricant, naturally)....
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

The non person formerly known as Comrade Tony deleted, and Commissar Gordon erased from Edward's History of Heroic Labour Strivers.

Blair was never Labour , he was an arch Tory and sometime Conservative party leader.
    Gordon Brown never even existed , he was an invention of anti-Labour propagandists.
    EdM is always right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Yezhov

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Also, RIP to Grace Jones, our oldest citizen and the last to witness the entirety of the twentieth century from the Boer War and Victoria's Jubilee through the Great War and WW1 to the 'roaring twenties' and depression, WW2, the Cold War, the JFK assassination, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the death of Diana, 9/11, the Credit Crunch, the election of the first black president and the 2012 Diamond Jubilee and Olympics. She was born in an era when most homes did not have hot water or an inside lavatory let alone a car, she died in the era of the internet and ipad
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    LD MP Sir Robert Smith, West Aberdeenshire diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-24945303
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    "Labour's decision not to use a robots.txt file means that much of its deleted content is still available on the Internet Archive, a separate website which aims to create a permanent record of web content."

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    "Militant Islamist rebels in Syria linked to al-Qaeda have asked for "understanding and forgiveness" for cutting off and putting on display the wrong man's head."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10449815/Al-Qaeda-linked-rebels-apologise-after-cutting-off-head-of-wrong-person.html
  • Options
    Tim Indeed, she will probably still be that sprightly at 113
  • Options
    Quincel Well that was nice of them
  • Options
    Freggles The Labour Archive is at the People's History Museum, Manchester, the Tory Archive at The Bodleain
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Freggles said:

"Labour's decision not to use a robots.txt file means that much of its deleted content is still available on the Internet Archive, a separate website which aims to create a permanent record of web content."

The idiocy over this has been quite startling.

Firstly, Labour have, and use, a robots.txt file:
    http://www.labour.org.uk/robots.txt

As it is, those three entries seem reasonable enough. (As an aside, the Lib Dems do not appear to have one at all, whilst PB's is a rather friendly 'let all crawlers over all the site').

Secondly, the robots.txt was not developed for archiving. Some archiving websites have decided to use it. Its was designed to stop webcrawlers from accessing certain parts of a site. This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, although the method may be a little outdated. Some archival sites do not delete information if it is marked as not being crawlable in robots.txt.

The decision to delete information is made by the archival website alone.

Thirdly, note the 'much of its deleted content'. i.e., not all of it is available, or accessible in a meaningful way.

Fourthly, the Labour website has no search facility. Even if the information is on there, trying to find it is like trying to find a planning application in Arthur Dent's local planning office.

More info here:
    http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard

Still, why let the truth get in the way of a good smear, ;-)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

On Wednesday, the party seized on revelations that the Conservatives had purged their online archive and blocked search engines from indexing old content, calling it a "cynical stunt".

Labour has now admitted its own website is also "regularly updated".

It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it?

I regularly update
    You delete content
    They cynically stunt
  • Options
    PB Tory Orgasm time - A Hodges article on Falkirk attacking Red Ed. Who said Dan wasn't original?
  • Options

PB Tory Orgasm time - A Hodges article on Falkirk attacking Red Ed. Who said Dan wasn't original?

A leftie complaining about another article about a Falkirk!

Who said they weren't original?

• Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited November 2013

Strange how the man who has left The Labour Party, is as popular in the Labour Party as a dose of thrush, has all these insiders speaking into his ear.....even stranger how he never has a name to put to a quote. In other words, a load of complete and utter bollocks for his right wing readership .....and his apostles on here.

In other news, wonder if Labour will have a Falkirk surge again in the next poll?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Strange how the man who has left The Labour Party, is as popular in the Labour Party as a dose of thrush, has all these insiders speaking into his ear.....even stranger how he never has a name.to put to a quote. In other words, a load of complete and utter bollocks for his right wing readership .....and his apostles on here.

In other news, wonder if Labour will have a Falkirk surge again in the next poll?
    Perhaps the people whispering into his ear are Blairites. You know, the sort of people that Miliband has culled from the cabinet, and will find it less likely to become a PPC due to Unite's antics.

They're also known as the saner (if not fully sane) side of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    The day is getting nearer. The headline will scream "Red Ed winning a majority and becoming PM is a disaster for Red Ed" from dear Dan. You just know people on here will link it and agree.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

The day is getting nearer. The headline will scream "Red Ed winning a majority and becoming PM is a disaster for Red Ed" from dear Dan. You just know people on here will link it and agree.

if Ed fails to become PM, the sounds of heads exploding will be unbearable. The complacency of some Labour supporters, if reflected across the whole party, may even allow it to happen.

• Options

So Tom Watson, former Deputy Chair of the Labour Party and General Election coordinator is wrong and Ed is right?

“It's amazing how my own leader can be so wrong. But he was. It's hard for me to say this, but Ed just got it wrong on Falkirk. He was given information, or a report, that was inaccurate and omitted some key facts, and took judgments that really harmed the individuals involved in a grotesque way. I suspect privately he is a little bit embarrassed about it.”
  • Options
    saddened I doubt Chukka will be too concerned, even if Cameron does win, it will only be by a very narrow margin
  • Options

Wait for the day when I am galactic emperor - the Martians will be crushed forever. Mwahahahaha.....

Get help c-pout.
  • Options
    What's Desperate Dan going to be saying as Ed is being driven up the Mall to see the Queen?
  • Options
    Josias The LD Archive is at the LSE
  • Options

What's Desperate Dan going to be saying as Ed is being driven up the Mall to see the Queen?

Which time ? 2015, 2020, 2025 or the record breaking 2030 ?
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance - very good - almost as good as watching the engineer hoist with his own petard.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Just 2015, but it's good to see that your expectations management is going into "prepare the ground for a Labour win" mode.
    I'm expecting a lot of "we didn't want to win this time anyway"posts in eighteen months time
  • Options
    The BBC 10 o'clock news edited out Cameron's comment, broadcast at 6, that the decision to hold CHOGM in Sri Lanka was taken in 2009 when Labour was in power.......
  • Options

Ed is doomed by his coalition with the toxic Lib Dems?

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Last person to leave turn off the lights?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Which time ? 2015, 2020, 2025 or the record breaking 2030 ?
    Amazing what an 8% lead does to the arrogance of the Left! Would hate to see Ed blow as I'm not sure you lot could take the humiliation.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Easy to change your name, Ash. Impossible to disguise the unique gormlessness of everything you ever post.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Josias The LD Archive is at the LSE

UKIP keep their archives on the original parchment.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I'm expecting a lot of "we didn't want to win this time anyway"posts in eighteen months time

Me too!

• Options
    Freggles said:

Just 2015, but it's good to see that your expectations management is going into "prepare the ground for a Labour win" mode.

In eighteen months time Dan Hodges' journalistic reputation will be made. He's about the only columnist stating the obvious which is that EdM is a piece of work who shouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors let alone the keys to No. 10.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Easy to change your name, Ash. Impossible to disguise the unique gormlessness of everything you ever post.
    The other night he reckoned Osborne will flatline the recovery because he has only ever had two jobs.
  • Options
    Somebody nailed it earlier.

On 21 Sept 2010, days before Miliband's election - leaderless Labour were polling 39.

He's added nothing.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

Falkirk.

Well, since you bring it up;

Ed Miliband urged to act over new 'phantom' members in Falkirk scandal
    Ed Miliband urged to re-open Falkirk vote-rigging inquiry after MP claims more than a dozen of 'phantom' members were signed up to Labour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10450836/Ed-Miliband-urged-to-act-over-new-phantom-members-in-Falkirk-scandal.html
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Freggles said:

I'm expecting a lot of "I wish we hadn't won this time" in about eighteen and a half months time.

• Options
    I was wondering how Communist Voice got so many votes in the 2011 Baddeley, Milton and North ward election. It was actually Community Voice.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Last person to leave turn off the lights?

He'll be working for the Sun ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Cameron in 2006 - "Let Sunshine Win The Day":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5396358.stm

He hasn't managed to erase BBC reports yet.
  • Options
    Is Paul Kenny auditioning for Minder ? "Cod wars innit"
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Nigel Lawson is looking a bit Quentin Crisp.
  • Options
    Go Stoke!
  • Options
    My sister lives in Baddeley Green.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Nigel Lawson is looking a bit Quentin Crisp.

Lets hope there is a green voodoo question - Nige vs Davey should be a giggle...
  • Options
    Is there a market on the final QT question being about tattoos?
  • Options
    Carola said:

It miht be the most interesting question of the night.

Total snorefest so far.
  • Options
    Whoah. QT in... FALKIRK in a couple of weeks according to Deerin.

Bit of a toughie there for Falkirk-lovin' Beeb/QT haters.
  • Options
    Davey drones on drones.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Carola said:

Total snorefest so far.
    I want to know how you can get a tattoo on a hairy back.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Should imagine Ed Miliband will be on.
  • Options
    Carola said:

TGOHF said:

Carola said:

Total snorefest so far.
    I should point out that this is not about me wanting to get a tattoo.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Carola said:

I'd say 4/7 no 5/4 yes....
  • Options
    Trade Union leader now speaking on subject of US defence strategy...

Next up.... Len McCluskey on the Arts...
  • Options
    isam said:

Carola said:

What about odds re Dimbers flashing his tattoo?
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

TGOHF said:

Carola said:

Total snorefest so far.
    I should point out that this is not about me wanting to get a tattoo.
    with some artistic shaving many varied and amusing designs are available.

• Options
    Leyla Hussein's epetition is approaching 80,000 signatures:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52740
  • Options
    Carola said:

isam said:

Carola said:

Isn't it a scorpion with six legs?

• Options
    Portsmouth folk give Nigel some applause while withholding it from Stella.
  • Options
    isam said:

Carola said:

isam said:

Carola said:

Isn't it a scorpion with six legs?

He should have got a Pudsey for Children in Need.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Silent ovation for Davey...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Ed Davey on his climate change hobby horse. It's become a religion for many on the left.
  • Options
    Milky bars are on Paul !
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Bournemouth Con hold Con 503 Lab 215 UKIP 212 LD 191 Green 48 Ind 34
  • Options
    Ed Davey looks like Wayne Rooney but without the intellect
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

She is as dull as ditchwater, to be fair.

They all are.

It's the "What planet Are they From?" edition of QT.
  • Options
    Audience look reay to commit mass suicide on the subject of climate change :-)
  • Options
    Davey tumbleweeding badly here.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TGOHF said:

Carola said:

Should imagine Ed Miliband will be on.
    Do not get too excited. Out there in the real world (non-politics land), nobody ever talks about Ed Miliband and I suspect that a lot of people still think he is David Miliband. Even down in Tim-Land (where I have been spending time recently), everybody has Cameron's name on their lips, people talk about Labour, but Miliband? No one ever mentions him.

He is a non-person. Maybe he really does not exist? Maybe Gordon is still in charge and Ed is merely a CGI figure used for deflecting the blame from Gordon?

I think we should be told

Bev.

• Options
    Proper z list line up on QT

But surely Africa should use Solar power, please tell me they do?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Creasey has that permanent smug half grin that leftys seem unable to disguise... Remember when she said on gay marriage " if you don't like it, just don't marry another man" and thought it was hilarious...

Same as saying "if you don't like racism, just don't be racist" " if you don't like the rich only paying 40% tax , don't pay 40% tax yourself"
  • Options
    Oh god someone relying on a gcse...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Obviously china is building ALL sorts of power stations, green, black, blue, brown it is growing at 7-8% a year ffsake. Their emmissions are going to go up, as is their 'green;' energy.

This Labour bod is downright stupid linking the typhoons "The people in the Philipines want to see more carbon taxes in the UK ffsake"
  • Options
    She seems to suggest in her answer that only man is responsible for climate change....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Obviously china is building ALL sorts of power stations, green, black, blue, brown it is growing at 7-8% a year ffsake. Their emmissions are going to go up, as is their 'green;' energy.

This Labour bod is downright stupid linking the typhoons "The people in the Philipines want to see more carbon taxes in the UK ffsake"

Creasey : "we arent the dinosaurs" - sitting beside her bankroller Paul Kenny.
  • Options
    Creasy must be worth 30 points to the Tories.

• Options
    Labour have won Sandwich South by-election following Conservative resignation and well funded UKIP campaign. On this result Laura "Shifting" Sandys would lose her South Thanet seat
  • Options
    No Offence Alan, UKIP's archives are probably kept in Nigel Farage's backroom
  • Options
    isam said:

Proper z list line up on QT

But surely Africa should use Solar power, please tell me they do?

In Tunisia I heard about some big plans for a solar array in the sahara
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Go on then, give us your analysis of what happened in Falkirk, and how you think its impacted on both Unite and the Labour party and their relationship are a result? You and a one or two others have certainly become almost obsessional in your attempts to dismiss any reporting or debate of this issue on this site. But you have totally failed to explain why a scandal that goes right to the heart of the Offices of Labour Leader Ed Miliband and Unite boss Len McCluskey is such a non story, particular when Unite remains the Labour party's largest donor?
    R0berts said:

Falkirk.

• Options
    fitalass said:

Go on then, give us your analysis of what happened in Falkirk, and how you think its impacted on both Unite and the Labour party and their relationship are a result? You and a one or two others have certainly become almost obsessional in your attempts to dismiss any reporting or debate of this issue on this site. But you have totally failed to explain why a scandal that goes right to the heart of the Offices of Labour Leader Ed Miliband and Unite boss Len McCluskey is such a non story, particular when Unite remains the Labour party's largest donor?

R0berts said:

Falkirk.

to be fair it's nowhere near as interesting as "man on yacht doesn't get donation he didn't ask for" which dragged on in the fevered imaginations of some of the thicker and more excitable posters on here, for what seemed like months.

• Options
    fitalass said:

R0berts said:

Falkirk.

Don't hold your breath, I've been trying to get them to discuss the NHS and education in Wales for ages
  • Options
    Emily Maitlis drops a W-bomb presenting This Week
  • Options
    Labour have won both the Seaton seats but no figures yet .
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear this news.
    dr_spyn said:

LD MP Sir Robert Smith, West Aberdeenshire diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-24945303

• Options
    'Oxford aims to weed out the ‘rich and thick’'

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article3922508.ece
  • Options
    It was certainly not one of Creasy's better outings on QuestionTime tonight when taken out of her comfort zone, she really misfired on the issues in Portsmouth in particular.

Creasy must be worth 30 points to the Tories.

• Options
    City Independents have won Stoke gain from Independent elected as Labour

Partial result City Ind 861 Con 504 Lab 444
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

Max said: "It's because leftism is like a religion to some people. ..... People on the left are the least open minded I have ever come across"

And rules are different for them than for others - Enoch Powell does a "Blood in the streets" speech and is vilified for decades. David Blunkett does a "Blood in streets (Sheffield)" speech and gets support from Nick Clegg.

Hmm.....

Judging by how the airwaves aren't full of the BBC and political class demanding plod go in to smash up these anti-Roma street patrols i'mma gonna guess they're not made up of wwc people. Which would also explain why someone like Blunkett is speaking up and the absence of the UAF etc.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Quincel said:

"Militant Islamist rebels in Syria linked to al-Qaeda have asked for "understanding and forgiveness" for cutting off and putting on display the wrong man's head."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10449815/Al-Qaeda-linked-rebels-apologise-after-cutting-off-head-of-wrong-person.html

Hague's Hearteaters at it again.
  • Options
    KentRed said:

Labour have won Sandwich South by-election following Conservative resignation and well funded UKIP campaign. On this result Laura "Shifting" Sandys would lose her South Thanet seat

I blame Falkirk!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bless, are you reduced to chasing grey squirrels rather than a Scottish red squirrel with this result?

KentRed said:

I blame Falkirk!
  • Options
    BBC – “An independent review has called for an overhaul of the Association of Chief Police Officers.

Acpo currently operates as a limited company, but a report by General Sir Nick Parker says this is "inconsistent with public accountability".”

Daily Mail’s take on the story:

“'Boys club' for top police chiefs may be abolished after report finds £4.2m used to fund it could be better spent elsewhere”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507604/Association-Chief-Police-Officers-abolished.html
This discussion has been closed.