Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The economy might be recovering but new poll by Populus fin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The economy might be recovering but new poll by Populus finds that only 11pc feel part of it

There’s a new survey out from Populus with a sample of 4,071 British adults, in which 44% said that the most important issue in determining their vote at GE2015 will be either the economy or the cost of living.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Test
  • Options
    The first part of making people feel they're in a recovery is to actually have a recovery to feel part of....

So that's part one sorted.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    That 11% must be those money grabbing bankers.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited November 2013

The first part of making people feel they're in a recovery is to actually have a recovery to feel part of....

Right, they'll feel it sooner or later, and 18 months is plenty of time.

What would be really worrying for the Tories would be if the voters were feeling the benefit of the recovery but still intended to vote Labour, but as it is there's still some reason for them to hope things will get better.

The suggestion from people who looked at polls of US presidential elections was that what really matters is the trajectory at the time of the election, so the government may be best not to peak too soon...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lets hope this is a regular poll over the next 18 months.

• Options
    O/T briefly..more info from Guido on that non-story in Scotland.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Lets hope this is a regular poll over the next 18 months.

An interesting question would be "Who do you trust to deliver the benefits of economic growth to you and your family"
    Bet you Osborne and Cameron don't come out of that one very well.

Do they have to ? They just need to come out better than Miliband and Balls. Not that difficult.
  • Options
    Other interesting polls may also be

a) is unemployment rising or falling ?
    b) Is the economy growing or contracting ?

• Options
    F1: Suggestion that Kovalainen will get the Lotus seat for 2 races.

I can't see the logic behind such a move, if it happens. If Driver X is moving to Lotus next year you can make a case for them getting the seat two races early. If not, the reserve driver, Valsecchi, certainly should get it (my understanding was that he was likeliest to get it). But why go for Kovalainen?

It's possible Lotus might spring a surprise, I've read they're looking at 4, not 2, drivers for 2014 now, but why him? Against Hamilton in the McLaren he was slaughtered. Hulkenberg's faster, Maldonado's more bank manager-pleasing.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    tim said:

An interesting question would be "Who do you trust to deliver the benefits of economic growth to you and your family"

That's the problem for me with the left encapsulated in one sentence. I don't expect the government to "deliver" the benefits of economic growth to me. I see that as my responsibility.
  • Options
    Off work today so thought I'd pop back to PB world. See Mike is still the unofficial spin doctor for the reds. It's always worth linking the political news of the day and Mike's articles- it's a pretty common and obvious theme now!

• Options
    Welcome back, Mr. Shipmate :)
  • Options

tim said:

That's the problem for me with the left encapsulated in one sentence. I don't expect the government to "deliver" the benefits of economic growth to me. I see that as my responsibility.
    tim polling co would ask

"Who would you trust to fulfil your human right to generous benefits for doing naff all to you and your hard working family ?"

• Options
    shipmate1 said:

Off work today so thought I'd pop back to PB world. See Mike is still the unofficial spin doctor for the reds. It's always worth linking the political news of the day and Mike's articles- it's a pretty common and obvious theme now!

Nothing wrong with talking down your book if you are looking to bet again ;)
  • Options
    tim said:

I've got a feeling we're going to be hit by a tidal wave of Hodges any minute.

If the same story arose within the Conservative party, suitably amended (so, let's say, a wealthy hedge fund manager and major donor signing up employees of his fund to a single constituency party for the purposes of distorting the outcome of a selection process in favour of one of his senior managers, with the apparent blessing of a senior Conservative official with close links to David Cameron) would you:

A. Post about the topic at least 40 times a day for the entire duration of the story and periodically for many months later, retweet every criticism from a journalistic source, repeatedly claim that Cameron's judgement has been called into question and mercilessly mock anyone who sought to question any element of the story as a "non-storyer" who is "always wrong"; or

B. Insist it is a non-story and belittle anyone who attemped to refer to it?

Whether or not the story impacts the polls (I have said before it is unlikely to do so) it is one that strikes at the heart of Labour's culture, practices and integrity and it is one you, as a supporter of Labour, should be concerned about. And even if you choose not to be publicly critical of Labour, which is fair enough, you might consider whether it should temper your approach when the shoe is on the other foot.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2013
    38% No sign of Recovery: I wonder if those in the Public Sector are most likely to give this response, as the Public Sector is having cuts (depending on who you believe) and pay freeze (allegedly)), and may therefore be insulated from the effects of recovery.

I wonder if the respondents were profiled by Public / Private sector.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

tim said:

I guess you must have a lot more power than most people simply doing their best to hold down a job though... inevitably government policy has the effect of defining groups of people or types of behaviour that are rewarded as a result of technical growth in the economy. To take an obviously absurd case, government could give massive support to, say, cheesemakers (they're blessed, after all) whilst simultaneously regulating to require a minimum of 20 years' accredited training for new entrants to the cheesemaking industry. With sufficient support, the growth in cheesemaking could experience supergrowth such that the overall economy was growing but all other sectors were shrinking.

As a non-cheesemaker (I assume, forgive me if I'm wrong on that), how would you act responsibly to ensure that you benefit from economic growth in that situation?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996

F1: Suggestion that Kovalainen will get the Lotus seat for 2 races.

I can't see the logic behind such a move, if it happens. If Driver X is moving to Lotus next year you can make a case for them getting the seat two races early. If not, the reserve driver, Valsecchi, certainly should get it (my understanding was that he was likeliest to get it). But why go for Kovalainen?

It's possible Lotus might spring a surprise, I've read they're looking at 4, not 2, drivers for 2014 now, but why him? Against Hamilton in the McLaren he was slaughtered. Hulkenberg's faster, Maldonado's more bank manager-pleasing.

Say they want Hulk for the last two races. He's currently driving for Sauber, and has obligations to that team. He can only move if Sauber agrees, and they might not want to risk putting an untried driver into their seat for the last two races, especially as Torro Rosso are just 13 points behind them. Lotus would have to pay Sauber a large amount of money they may not have.

By going for Kovi, Lotus are getting a reasonable driver who has been out of race-driving for less than a season, and one who could well get a drive next year. It would not surprise me if they get him for free. And 'free' is a magic word in F1...
  • Options
    O/T again .. the paper trail in that non-story from Scotland is looking even more interesting, dates ,names and motivation..don't think its going to go away too soon
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    FPT

Isam said:
    So that's Jack Straw, David Blunkett, a large percentage of Asian and black Britons, Eastern European immigrants living in Boston, and their descedents all acknowledging that mass immigration was a bad mistake and that integration is nigh on impossible...

Only the metropolitan luvvies, governments stats addicts, champagne quaffers, Latin speakers and people that refuse to acknowledge when they've lost arguments remain blind to what everybody else can see

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/13/jack-straw-labour-mistake-poles

Sam,have you seen this -

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/11/why-cant-labour-talk-sensibly-about-immigration/

@tykejohnno

At least as more non white, nonenglish people are complaining about the situation, there seems to be more Labour people willing to acknowledge the awful mistakes theymade.

it really does make the middle class luvvies who think criticising mass immigration is racist look stuck in the 20th century

I can identify with whatBlunkett said, Romford is the town next to me, plenty of woodland for campsites about... At least it's one way of coping with the housing crisis!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2300089/I-prison-holiday-Boast-Romanian-gang-conducted-1million-gold-robbery-campaign-tricking-way-jewellers-wearing-pinstripe-suits.html
  • Options

O/T again .. the paper trail in that non-story from Scotland is looking even more interesting, dates ,names and motivation..don't think its going to go away too soon

It was only some obscure constituency in Scotland. Nobody cares how they are sliced and diced by London.
  • Options

Of course if Union sign up and ballot issuances are less than accurate there are other elections that use their databases... imagine if a particular election - say between brothers- was very very close. Still I'm sure this will blow over by tomorrow.

• Options
    In all fairness to Labour, with the economic outlook improving, they have no choice but to nail home the cost of living "crisis". On the economy, what else have they got?

Ed needs to be bit careful though, if he gets in power and can't do anything he promises - it will be another single term government! Maybe that's the way it is going to go our modern world? Will anyone be in power for multiple terms again?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, my understanding was that Sauber hurried up and actually paid Hulkenberg, which meant he couldn't then leave without their say-so.

But why wouldn't Lotus go for Valsecchi? He has less race experience than Kovalainen, but he does have better knowledge of the team and its car.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Osborne delivered a big bonus gift to top earners, and he is perceived as favouring his class of chums whether you like it or not, the polls are clear.
    He even tried to deliver more of the benefits of growth to the dead so long as they were rich enough..look at the polling, the current Tory leadership is clearly seen as being in it for their chinless chums
    By the blinker wearing segment of the population you could be right.

In other news, a higher % of the tax take is coming from those at the top.

• Options
    Thanks Morris - with the Ashes due, I hope to be lurking and posting more! though i'm not sure how many of you will be up with me!! Oh yeah - Tim will - he never sleeps!
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Osborne delivered a big bonus gift to top earners, and he is perceived as favouring his class of chums whether you like it or not, the polls are clear.
    He even tried to deliver more of the benefits of growth to the dead so long as they were rich enough..look at the polling, the current Tory leadership is clearly seen as being in it for their chinless chums
    Seems to have worked though - the economy is up and tax receipts are up.

Laffer has the last laugh.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Let's be honest, people like whingeing. And with 24 hour media nowadays, there's plenty of scope. I noticed that the fuel price has gone down a bit. Had it gone up by the same amount, there would be wall to wall wailing.

Ed has jumped on the wailing bandwagon. That's politics, what else can he do?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all, simple really, the polls are currently moving back to Labour because most people don't feel things are getting better and all statistics are lies anyway, manipulated by everyone to suit themselves.

The task for David Cameron and George Osborne is to make sure the improvement is felt by the people who matter to them, the 11 million plus people who are likely to vote Tory in 2015. Frankly if they do that, it doesn't really matter what Miliband or Clegg supporters feel or think.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,666
    edited November 2013
    philiph said:

38% No sign of Recovery: I wonder if those in the Public Sector are most likely to give this response, as the Public Sector is having cuts (depending on who you believe) and pay freeze (allegedly)), and may therefore be insulated from the effects of recovery.

I wonder if the respondents were profiled by Public / Private sector.

Yes:

Public sector workers were more likely than private sector counterparts to argue that there is no sign of national economic recovery (46% and 37% respectively)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2013
    When are we going to get an inquiry into the Finchley selection in 1958 that led to Mrs Thatcher entering parliament?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/margaret-thatcher-and-the-missing-votes/

The whole of history since could have been different
  • Options
    philiph said:

tim said:

tim said:

I guess it might come down to what segment of the population you classify as "blinker wearing", then. Taking this poll in isolation, only 11% are clearly free of "blinkers" which means whether the rest are right or (as your choice of language suggests) misguided/prejudiced, the electoral impact might not be too pretty for the Tories.

• Options
    It's the "e's " wot gets em..
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @Edmund

The economy was growing strongly by 1996 too, with the Tories ahead on the economy metric.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

philiph said:

tim said:

tim said:

I guess it might come down to what segment of the population you classify as "blinker wearing", then. Taking this poll in isolation, only 11% are clearly free of "blinkers" which means whether the rest are right or (as your choice of language suggests) misguided/prejudiced, the electoral impact might not be too pretty for the Tories.

In my definition zealots who can only see good in their side and bad in the other(s).
  • Options
    Finchley in 1958 ..did they have e-mails in those days?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    GDP growth and inflation aren't the outputs of feeling better off they're the inputs and they vary by segment of population.
  • Options
    tim said:

philiph said:

Polruan said:

philiph said:

tim said:

tim said:

In my definition zealots who can only see good in their side and bad in the other(s).

Given the toxicity of the Tory brand I really don't think you want an election based on who is least liked.

I think you are determined to illustrate my point. Thanks.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Welcome back, Mr. Shipmate :)

Surely "welcome aboard"?
  • Options
    What's important is how voters feel about this question at the date of the general election. It's good news for Labour that the voters don't feel part of the recovery yet, but the Coalition parties can reasonably hope for this to change in the coming months.
  • Options
    philiph said:

The answer is yes.

Discounting "don't knows" the score is 50% believe there is a recovery, 50% don't.

• Options
    philiph said:

Polruan said:

philiph said:

tim said:

tim said:

s

Seems a fair enough definition in principle, but I'm not sure that it applies to the large numbers of not-particularly-well-off people who see a tax rate cut for those on "astronomical" incomes as evidence that this particular Tory leadership favours a small clique of the very rich. There are a lot of Tory voters who don't believe in the American Dream and know that however hard they work they will never be earning anything like £150k - so they don't see it as a policy for aspiration, but a bung to the rich.

I'm aware of the Lafferesque basis for the policy (as well as the only live study that's really been able to test Laffer principles - the New Jersey state tax study, which suggested that if a Laffer tipping point does exist it's csomewhere loser to 75% than 45% tax) but that's not really the point: most voters are not, and they don't see a tax cut for the rich as beneficial to either themselves or the public finances as a whole.

• Options
    Off topic, I know there are one or two posters whose views on the EU are not wholly positive, so I'll draw attention to this item in the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f07a690a-4ba0-11e3-8203-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz2kXK3EyBf

Key quotes:

"Senior Labour party figures are under pressure from the UK’s most important European allies to say whether or not the party will hold a referendum on Britain’s EU membership.

In a sign of growing European worries over a possible British exit from the union, diplomats from the biggest continental embassies, including Germany and France, have been holding meetings with Labour MPs and peers as they try to flesh out what the party will do if it wins the next election.

Several people close to the discussions have told the Financial Times the issue is one of major concern for European governments.

Some countries have warned Labour of the risks of holding a referendum, pointing out how they are difficult to predict – even in pro-European countries, as seen when French voters opposed the European constitution. One official said: “We don’t recommend referendums as a rule.”

"European powers are particularly worried that it would be harder for the pro-union side to win if it was being led by Labour, rather than the Conservatives.

Many foreign officials believe that if the Tories were in opposition they would campaign hard against EU membership, leaving a more difficult task for the “yes” campaign.

However, a “yes” campaign led by Mr Cameron after a possible renegotiation of powers between London and Brussels would be far more likely to win.

Lord Mandelson, Labour’s former business secretary and a prominent pro-European, is one of those who has been lobbied, as have others close to Ed Miliband, the party leader."
  • Options
    Polruan said:

tim said:

I guess you must have a lot more power than most people simply doing their best to hold down a job though... inevitably government policy has the effect of defining groups of people or types of behaviour that are rewarded as a result of technical growth in the economy. To take an obviously absurd case, government could give massive support to, say, cheesemakers (they're blessed, after all) whilst simultaneously regulating to require a minimum of 20 years' accredited training for new entrants to the cheesemaking industry. With sufficient support, the growth in cheesemaking could experience supergrowth such that the overall economy was growing but all other sectors were shrinking.

As a non-cheesemaker (I assume, forgive me if I'm wrong on that), how would you act responsibly to ensure that you benefit from economic growth in that situation?
    That's far too absurd to answer directly. In what way does that have any relation to current circumstances? Who are "the cheesemakers" right now? Or who have they ever been?

But, presumably "the cheesemakers" would have other industries that they relied upon to fuel their supergrowth such as dairy farmers, "cheesemaking" machinery manufacturers, and logistical support, and those industries would also get beneficial effects. "The cheesemakers" themselves would require financial and accountancy advice, PR and advertising.

If "cheesemaking" were that huge, the "cheese" would be big enough for the most resourceful to get a piece of it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    How does UK unemployment compare with that of the EU? Can someone please post a link?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24923951

As for Cameron and Co deleting speeches do they take us all for complete bloody fools.

Read my lips no Green Taxes...

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TGOHF said:

Of course if Union sign up and ballot issuances are less than accurate there are other elections that use their databases... imagine if a particular election - say between brothers- was very very close. Still I'm sure this will blow over by tomorrow.

Good luck peddling this line.
  • Options
    tim said:

philiph said:

tim said:

philiph said:

Polruan said:

philiph said:

tim said:

tim said:

Given the toxicity of the Tory brand I really don't think you want an election based on who is least liked.

I think you are determined to illustrate my point. Thanks.
    Want me to point you to the polling?

You have missed the point. It is clear to any free thinking open minded person.

Enjoy drowning in your whirlpool of self confirming hatred of anything outside your blinkered world view as you get sucked in and lost without trace. As time goes by millions of others will shed their blinkers or refuse to put them on in the first place.
  • Options

Polruan said:

tim said:

That's far too absurd to answer directly. In what way does that have any relation to current circumstances? Who are "the cheesemakers" right now? Or who have they ever been?

But, presumably "the cheesemakers" would have other industries that they relied upon to fuel their supergrowth such as dairy farmers, "cheesemaking" machinery manufacturers, and logistical support, and those industries would also get beneficial effects. "The cheesemakers" themselves would require financial and accountancy advice, PR and advertising.

If "cheesemaking" were that huge, the "cheese" would be big enough for the most resourceful to get a piece of it.
    Blessed are the cheesemakers.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    For the all the claims about UKIP support growing compared to the Conservatives, when supporters are asked to put their money where their mouth is and donate, the figures in the last quarter show 29x as much given to the Tories as UKIP.

Mostly from individuals, not companies.

(Labour, of course, get most of theirs from unions, with Unite leading the way).
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

That might be how they're seen through your envy spectacles, no doubt part of the uniform at Labour Party get-togethers. More rational people see the reduction of the 50% top rate as the reversal of a ridiculous and dangerous piece of electoral desperation by Brown.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

How does UK unemployment compare with that of the EU? Can someone please post a link?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24923951

As for Cameron and Co deleting speeches do they take us all for complete bloody fools.

Read my lips no Green Taxes...

All the huskies being marched to Katyn - Gove waiting with a kommisar cap and whatever the russian version of luger was.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Right, they'll feel it sooner or later, and 18 months is plenty of time.

What would be really worrying for the Tories would be if the voters were feeling the benefit of the recovery but still intended to vote Labour, but as it is there's still some reason for them to hope things will get better.

The suggestion from people who looked at polls of US presidential elections was that what really matters is the trajectory at the time of the election, so the government may be best not to peak too soon...
    It would be interesting to see a breakdown of voting intention among the segments above, if anyone has access to the Populus data. However, there are interactions - people who are pro-Labour tend to focus on bad news, people who are pro-Tory tend to focus on good news. But as I've said before, I don't think most people feel any of the parties has a clear edge in expertise in improving the economy, and they view economic data rather like weather reports, important but not primarily driven by human agency.
  • Options
    This poll must be enormously encouraging for the Tories - with two thirds of those asked either denying that there was any recovery or at least being unsure whether one was actually underway.
    This helps to explain why so far the Tories' recovery, although evident, has been somewhat modest and demonstrates just how much there is still to play for as the recovery takes further hold and is more generally recognised as being fact. Given that we are already several months down the path of recovery, this is likely to take some considerable time yet, depending on the media coverage it receives. Such a time frame probably suits Cameron & Co. since the party would clearly wish to avoid peaking too early.
    We possibly need a poll which asks the question: "For which party would you be most likely to vote were the economic recovery to continue over the next [18] months?"
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Let's be honest, people like whingeing. And with 24 hour media nowadays, there's plenty of scope. I noticed that the fuel price has gone down a bit. Had it gone up by the same amount, there would be wall to wall wailing.

It's a fair point. I filled up for the first time in ages at the weekend & noticed it was below 130p a gallon. That's a material change from the 139/141p prices that it was at last time. But I don't recall seeing it highlighted anywhere in the press.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, my understanding was that Sauber hurried up and actually paid Hulkenberg, which meant he couldn't then leave without their say-so.

But why wouldn't Lotus go for Valsecchi? He has less race experience than Kovalainen, but he does have better knowledge of the team and its car.

In which case, Sauber were very canny. ;-)

I don't know why they aren't going for Valsecchi. It'll be a trade-off between many different factors, and there's probably no right answer.

All I know is that I'll be glad to see more of Kovi around the paddock. He's only a mid-team driver at best, but he gives a good interview.
  • Options

When are we going to get an inquiry into the Finchley selection in 1958 that led to Mrs Thatcher entering parliament?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/margaret-thatcher-and-the-missing-votes/

The whole of history since could have been different

And Tariq Ali should never have been President of the Oxford Union.

• Options

More rational people see the reduction of the 50% top rate as the reversal of a ridiculous and dangerous piece of electoral desperation by Brown.

Most people opposed the reduction in the additional rate. They saw it for what it was.
  • Options
    In order for people to feel part of the recovery politicians must first actually bring one about. Duh! This is indeed the case now.

Once it's actually solidly happening then the challenge is to channel the warm feelings where they count.

For certain Dave n George will, under Lynton's guidance, be beavering away to ensure that as many core Tories and marginal waverers do start to feel it by May 2015.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's a fair point. I filled up for the first time in ages at the weekend & noticed it was below 130p a gallon. That's a material change from the 139/141p prices that it was at last time. But I don't recall seeing it highlighted anywhere in the press.

It's part of the cost of living debate that the coalition have so far avoided pushing too much but certainly will come 2015.

It's all well and good Miliband pledging to freeze energy prices, but what will he do about petrol prices, water bills, mortgages, TV licence costs and most crucially mortgage interest rates?

An electricity price freeze is no good if the council tax or mortgage rate shoots up instead (unless you live in a council flat on benefits).
  • Options

Seems a fair enough definition in principle, but I'm not sure that it applies to the large numbers of not-particularly-well-off people who see a tax rate cut for those on "astronomical" incomes as evidence that this particular Tory leadership favours a small clique of the very rich. There are a lot of Tory voters who don't believe in the American Dream and know that however hard they work they will never be earning anything like £150k - so they don't see it as a policy for aspiration, but a bung to the rich.

I'm aware of the Lafferesque basis for the policy (as well as the only live study that's really been able to test Laffer principles - the New Jersey state tax study, which suggested that if a Laffer tipping point does exist it's csomewhere loser to 75% than 45% tax) but that's not really the point: most voters are not, and they don't see a tax cut for the rich as beneficial to either themselves or the public finances as a whole.

To answer a different question with the aim of getting to the right answer, I think heaven and earth need to be moved to rebalance the economy. The rich, super rich, filthy rich and obscenely rich have created a class that is repugnant and unjustified. There is a massive need to stop the easy merry go round of corporate excess and rewarded failure.

I would support a John Lewis regulation on limiting the maximum any one employee can earn to a multiplier of 'x'. Bonus payments too, they trader needs the cleaner and technician to work. There has been an unhealthy and accelerating trend from late 80s to 2008 of corporate greed, and I find it offensive as do millions of others.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

The press sells papers and TV stations get viewers by scaremongering. Business is often criticised for its short term thinking but the MSM is as bad. 13 years of unaffordable sweeties from Labour has produced a population which is unable to think or plan for the long term.

• Options
    tim said:

@philiph

You have missed the point. It is clear to any free thinking open minded person.

Enjoy drowning in your whirlpool of self confirming hatred of anything outside your blinkered world view as you get sucked in and lost without trace. As time goes by millions of others will shed their blinkers or refuse to put them on in the first place.

And when precisely do you see this wave of love for the Conservative Party beginning?

"The change in public opinion that the blues should most fear: The return of the “Toxic Tories”"

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2012/10/28/the-change-in-public-opinion-that-the-blues-should-most-fear-the-return-of-the-toxic-tories/

And which particular mind altering drug should I take so I can join you?

Tough one.

before 2030, but there is no need to be so monodimensional, it is not about love of Tory (or Labour), it is about free thinking, which is an anathema to political ideologues like you.
  • Options
    ...and the LibDems may see some recovery too as things get better...

this is not good for Labour as it resplits the left.

FWIW I think we're heading for another hung parliament and a right old mess with potentially Labour most MPs but Tories most votes, UKIP and LDs on similar(ish) vote shares but UKIP no MPs and nobody with a clear run at running the country. :-(
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Good luck peddling this line.
    Were Falkirk/Grangemouth/David Miliband involved in Maggie's selection? Mike could have a smoking gun down thread. One for the PB Tories to analyse and come back to us.
  • Options
    No news is good news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24924185

If Cameron did brewing we all might be thirsty. For a PR man he is often remarkably shallow.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

In order for people to feel part of the recovery politicians must first actually bring one about. Duh! This is indeed the case now.

Once it's actually solidly happening then the challenge is to channel the warm feelings where they count.

For certain Dave n George will, under Lynton's guidance, be beavering away to ensure that as many core Tories and marginal waverers do start to feel it by May 2015.

Tax cuts are key. That would mean conceding the deficit ground, but that's infertile ground anyway electorally. So I expect giveaways from the govt.
  • Options
    philiph said:

To answer a different question with the aim of getting to the right answer, I think heaven and earth need to be moved to rebalance the economy. The rich, super rich, filthy rich and obscenely rich have created a class that is repugnant and unjustified. There is a massive need to stop the easy merry go round of corporate excess and rewarded failure.

I would support a John Lewis regulation on limiting the maximum any one employee can earn to a multiplier of 'x'. Bonus payments too, they trader needs the cleaner and technician to work. There has been an unhealthy and accelerating trend from late 80s to 2008 of corporate greed, and I find it offensive as do millions of others.

I would agree with a multiple from the highest-lowest paid in a company (but with an exception for people who own/built their own company up).

It is those who are parachuted-in and claim they deserve ridiculous salaries that p*** me off. If they think they are that good, then let them start their own enterprise.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2013
    Patrick said:

FWIW I think we're heading for another hung parliament ......

That certainly looks like the value bet - and is what Mr Crosby has been telling us with total conviction for at least the last two years.

(What's happened to Rod btw, anyone know?)

• Options
    It is still possible that winning in 2015 may turn into the nightmare predicted for 2010. I recall Eddie George speculating that the winners in 2010 would be out of power for a generation.

As much of the pain is deferred until post 2015, this prediction may well hold true for the 2015 administration rather than the 2010 government.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Flockers

A slum landlord in 2010 rigged a Tory selection process, it had to be abandoned, he went on to be selected for another seat.
    I think smart posters know who I'm referring to, I've mentioned it a few times, didn't matter much though, Daves leader ratings fall and Osborne hapless strategising were far more important.

I am not sure you understand the difference between "importance" and "impacts on votes". The electorate generally have very little interest in Westminster theatre and certainly have almost no appetite for stories about internal selection processes. Of course the performance of the party leaders has much more of an impact. But in terms of importance, having very clear evidence of an attempt to manipulate a party's internal selection processes, with further evidence suggesting the interference may have been assisted by senior party officials, to the benefit of the party's largest funder, is an important story. It raises questions about the leadership's judgement and it lays bare the partisan motivation for previous demands for inquiries. It undermines the leadership's claim to speak truth to power. If I was a Labour supporter I would be troubled by this story. I might not publicly criticise my party (in fact, I probably would on this, but I understand why otehrs choose not to). But I certainly wouldn't attack those who demand answers. They are right to do so.
  • Options

Patrick said:

FWIW I think we're heading for another hung parliament ......

That certainly looks like the value bet - and is what Mr Crosby has been telling us with total conviction for at least the last two years.

(What's happened to Rod btw, anyone know?)

He discovered he was Jewish and born outside the United States.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

No news is good news.

If Cameron did brewing we all might be thirsty. For a PR man he is often remarkably shallow.

I notice that the BBC chose to compare the Tories to the military and gangsters rather than to the other 2 categories that Computer Weekly chose to use... I wonder why they are sensitive about that?

:innocent face:
  • Options
    Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

No news is good news.

I notice that the BBC chose to compare the Tories to the military and gangsters rather than to the other 2 categories that Computer Weekly chose to use... I wonder why they are sensitive about that?

Only the Tories could update their web site, probably to clear the decks for new policies coming up to 2015, and be accused of being "gangsters".

FFS
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Patrick said:

FWIW I think we're heading for another hung parliament and a right old mess with potentially Labour most MPs but Tories most votes, UKIP and LDs on similar(ish) vote shares but UKIP no MPs and nobody with a clear run at running the country. :-(

I think that is a fair prediction :)
  • Options
    Neil said:

More rational people see the reduction of the 50% top rate as the reversal of a ridiculous and dangerous piece of electoral desperation by Brown.

Most people opposed the reduction in the additional rate. They saw it for what it was.
    Most people can be wrong, even in a democracy. And most people can change their minds when circumstances and evidence change. There's plenty of time for most people to be influenced by their improving financial situation before the election.

Most people thought Andrew Mitchell called the police plebs. Most people thought he should resign. Only 8% of people believed that he hadn't used the word pleb.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2012/09/25/andrew-mitchells-plebs-comment/

I hope we get a poll telling us what most people think once the Met have finally finished their investigation.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    In these early days of a recovery that figure is to be expected. As we move from recovery to growth over the next year or so more people will feel better off.

The unemployment figures are pretty bloody amazing. Very impressive. Jobs growth across all sectors. The unemployment rate is still high, but the inactivity rate is the lowest it has been since 1991 which accounts for a lot of the higher figure than under Labour.

The immigration fear-mongers have taken another hit as well, UK nationals have taken 93% of the jobs created over the last year, with non-UK nationals (EU and non-EU) taking just 7% of jobs created. If this continues until the election UKIP will be in big trouble. I do feel there has been a concerted effort by a lot of employers to "hire British" recently to improve their public image. If that is true then it alone will deter continued immigration.
  • Options
    Best current NOM odds are from Ladbrokes at: 13/8 (1.625/1)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Neil said:

Most people can be wrong, even in a democracy.
    But it's hard to run this argument in an election campaign.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    @isam,

Thought experiment: assume half the countries (chosen at random) in the world decided to allow free movement of labour and capital, and the other half decided to impose restrictions on where people were allowed to live, and who people were allowed to work for, and who people were allowed to buy good and services from.

Which half of the world do you think would do better?

I know which one I'd bet on. And I think you know where all the smart people would want to be. I think the most creative and productive people relish competition, don't you?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Patrick said:

Tax cuts are key. That would mean conceding the deficit ground, but that's infertile ground anyway electorally. So I expect giveaways from the govt.
    This could be tax cuts in marginals and spending cuts in the Labour heartlands. We'll hear about public sector 'austerity forever' (not before time!). This won'y play well in Liverpool - but Dave won't care. And any saved money directed to cost of living measures. Would make perfect political sense.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Patrick said:

I think that is a fair prediction :)
    The problem comes if we're in financial do-dos, and no-one has a mandate. If we're recovering, then the absence of functioning government (as Italy discovered between 1960 and 1980) could be positive benefit.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

No news is good news.

I've been having a look on Labour's website, and it's not exactly easy to find (say) Gordon Brown's 2008 conference speech on it.

It is at the following URL, as shown by Google (I have to use that as their website does not appear to have a search option).

http://www.labour.org.uk/gordon_brown_conference

And their 805 pages of news archive only seems to go back as far as Ed's conference, although it s hard to tell which one, as they are not dated.

At least some older speeches seems to be on there, but it appears to be well hidden from the site itself ...

Can we take it Labour are trying to hide the past as well?
  • Options
    In other news, European industrial production id down 0.5%. The wheels are coming off for Europe. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Idiots.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I note that Shadsy has cut his 6-4 on Labour majority to 5-4, leaving William Hills (6-4) as best price on Lab majority. As long time political punters will know that indicates that ruling out a Labour majority would be very very foolish. My advice (If you have no position at this time) would be to buy NOM at Ladbrokes and buy Lab majority at Betfair.

This is not financial advice ;)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

In other news, European industrial production id down 0.5%. The wheels are coming off for Europe. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Idiots.

There a number of different stats out this morning, showing wildly differing numbers.

Eurozone industrial production fell 0.5% in September, against expectations for a 0.3% fall , which is clearly not very good. But industrial production, excluding construction, actually rose 1.1%, against expectations of flat. So, construction very weak, and everything else actually not bad.

The most scary number, though, was Retail Sales in the Netherlands, which dropped a barely credible 6.1% yoy in October, from a 0.7% drop in September.

Good news from the UK: jobless claims dropped 41,700 in October - much better than the 30,000 expected.
  • Options
    MaxPB

Can I ask you a question about the games industry, using Vanilla message system?

Thanks Philip
  • Options
    I think a key factor in how people feel about the cost of living will be pay rises. Most companies review their pay in either Jan or April. Having had freezes in recent years, I think companies will find it hard to justify another freeze if the economy is seen to be improving.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24915128

Market forces at work!
    philiph said:

MaxPB

Can I ask you a question about the games industry, using Vanilla message system?

Thanks Philip

Sure.
  • Options
    re 20x wages - there will be long lines to get jobs as litter-pickers and stewards at Premier League football clubs no doubt. pricing talent is an inexact science, whether a hammer is a better tool to use I am not so sure.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

There a number of different stats out this morning, showing wildly differing numbers.

Eurozone industrial production fell 0.5% in September, against expectations for a 0.3% fall , which is clearly not very good. But industrial production, excluding construction, actually rose 1.1%, against expectations of flat. So, construction very weak, and everything else actually not bad.

The most scary number, though, was Retail Sales in the Netherlands, which dropped a barely credible 6.1% yoy in October, from a 0.7% drop in September.

Good news from the UK: jobless claims dropped 41,700 in October - much better than the 30,000 expected.
    I have had dialogue with a couple of my customers in Netherlands this week, to say they are despondent is an understatement. While I know the verbal games they play, there is genuine concern that the market has evaporated across the sector.
  • Options

Neil said:

Most people can be wrong, even in a democracy.
    But it's hard to run this argument in an election campaign.
    I'm not running an election campaign. And I don't suggest that any party should run one using my posts here as election advice. I said that more rational people (NB - that's people with a more rational nature, not a greater number of rational people) had seen Brown's top tax rate increase for the cynical ploy it was. It wasn't a policy designed to improve the country's finances, but to win his party more votes and to cost the Tories votes if they reversed it.
  • Options
    Tomorrow, economic stats lovers, we have German, French, Austrian, Dutch, and Italian GDP statistics.

Expectations are for the recession to continue in Italy, while the Netherlands and France have broadly flat GDP. Germany and Austria are expected to grow GDP at around 0.3% quarterly rates. (Equivalent to 1-1.5% annual rates. Why anyone publishes QoQ numbers is a mystery to me.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm friends with a chap from the Netherlands. He says there is no economic recovery in sight because the population has bought into German austerity lock, stock and barrel. The problem is that the Dutch economy is much like ours, based around consumer spending and debt and the change in attitude has been too quick with people's savings ratios rising very quickly. He blames the current government for their messaging, but says that all other parties would be slaves to the same German policies so it elections there are now more like a plebiscite.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Thought experiment: assume half the countries (chosen at random) in the world decided to allow free movement of labour and capital, and the other half decided to impose restrictions on where people were allowed to live, and who people were allowed to work for, and who people were allowed to buy good and services from.

I know which one I'd bet on. And I think you know where all the smart people would want to be. I think the most creative and productive people relish competition, don't you?

Europe and America should be doing great then.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Well, they're where all the talented people want to live. While the queues to get into Bhutan are rather short.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

The US are doing well, they have cut their deficit in half, they have lower unemployment than us and their economy is much more dynamic.

Europe is a stupid basket case because they have monetary unity without a political or fiscal union. It kills any kind of competitive market forces within the bloc and everyone must bow down to German austerity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Well, they're where all the talented people want to live. While the queues to get into Bhutan are rather short.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Europe is a stupid basket case

The Euro is a stupid basket case.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

but says that all other parties would be slaves to the same German policies so it elections there are now more like a plebiscite.

Wilders brought down the last government over its austerity plans and the Socialists are obviously strongly against them too. In the last election the Dutch clearly chose centrist parties advocating austerity over the alternative of less centrist parties promising less austerity.
  • Options
    @Charles Innocent face...like.

Guido implies more to come from Falkirk - a thousand emails takes a while to read.

http://order-order.com/2013/11/13/how-much-new-evidence-does-ed-need/#comments

This discussion has been closed.