Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Javid becomes the favourite to succeed Johnson as CON leader

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited July 2019
    A thousand times higher? Impressive. :p
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    RobD said:

who does he thinbk he is - Gordon Brown ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    Chris said:

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

IMF predicting a boris bounce for the economy - must be all those tax cuts for those struggling to get by on 50k

Good show. I struggle to get by on £50k.
    Try being a bit more bohemian - you can always switch to cider for example; one of those big bottles has your weekly allowance of alcohol in one handy bottle.
    Weekly allowance. Right.

Of all the lies the Brits tell, how modest their consumption of alcohol is (particularly when talking to the nurse or GP) has got to be their biggest whopper.
    Anyone struggling to live on £50k/y mystifies me. My red 'vin ordinaire' costs a mere £4 a bottle and it's very good. There are lots of good ones between £4-4.50.

Chateau Recougne from Majestic is one of the best clarets I've drunk for 20 years. It shortly goes on offer for ... £7.99 per bottle. I came across it at a relative's house in June and then found out that Majestic have a local branch.

I challenge most people to distinguish very good or excellent wine like this from 'great' wine - which I couldn't afford - in a blind tasting.
    I guess you don't live in London or the South East with a family - or you'd find it a lot less mystifying. Buying cheap wine would be the least of your worries!
    How do you suppose people manage on £20k, then?
    Would be interesting to see the differences in after tax and benefits incl housing benefits income/council housing access for a family of four earning 50k vs 20k in London. It will depend on hours worked and ages of children but wont be anything near as big as the gap sounds. (Long term prospects as the kids grow up obviously much better for the higher earners but 50k in London with a family is not well off whilst the kids are young).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    RobD said:

Yep. Typo by Neil. It was 19 trillion in 2017
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

I used to drink wine but I find it gives me heartburn nowadays (probably cus it's the cheap stuff)

More importantly though - can you tell the difference between Tennents and Carling?

It's not really a question anyway cause Carling is better.

But like the good Scots lad I am I drink Tennents.

However, given #indyref2 I will be making the switch.

Let today be the birth of the hashtag-

#Carling4Tennents4indyref2

Tennents Extra used to be the lager of choice for those who liked that sort of thing when I was a student. "Tenny Ecky" as it was known. I generally stuck to Banks's Mild. Those hedonistic days.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,772
    HYUFD said:
    I have never understood what people see in Johnson, but they clearly see something.

I forgive a lot from people who make me laugh. Johnson has a false charm and I have never found him funny.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

stodge said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Swinson says she would only accept the result of a second referendum if Remain won.

Lol - at least she's honest - Source?
    Guido
    Yes and you can be sure Guido has spun it in as hostile a way as possible as he's the arch-propagandist for the LEAVE fraternity.

All Jo has said if the people vote LEAVE she could not support that in parliament - that doesn't mean such a result couldn't and wouldn't be enacted but it seems strange having advocated one side before the vote to do a complete volte face if the vote goes the other way - I mean, who could support REMAIN and argue for it and then turn round the next day, if LEAVE won, and said they were a confirmed LEAVE supporter all along?
    True. But, in this hypothetical situation of of (lets say) a 2nd Referendum with Remain v Theresa May Deal as the choice, if TM Deal won I would expect any MP that said they couldn't support this choice to either abstain on the Parliamentary vote (at least) or more properly resign as an MP.

I'm not saying it'd happen but if another Ref resulted in a Leave option being picked, it simply wouldn't be fair to allow Parliament to block it.

It's not even completely out there. General Election in September results in 330 LD MPs. They extend for 2nd Ref and put TM Deal v Remain for a March 2020 2nd Ref. 2nd Ref results in 52% for TM Leave.

330MPs then turn around, chortle and say 'fooled you, only kidding, we won't vote it through Parliament'?
    Just make the referendum binding - one line in legislation is all that's needed, as it was for the AV referendum. "If you vote for the deal it will be enacted." Job done.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313
    Javid is favourite because he is expected to become CoE, I suppose. But I think Penny Mordaunt will take some beating. The pendulum always swings and after a male clown they are likely to want a serious female. Which Mordaunt is, 'cock' jokes and TV reality shows notwithstanding. She has grown out of all that now. You can tell, just looking at her. Or listening to her, rather. Sober and sensible woman. Woman of the world too. Been around the tracks and knows what's what. Not easily impressed. Does not suffer fools.

It was impressive how she did not stand this time, knowing it to be a waste of time, and how she did not creep to anybody who did, looking to curry favour. She clearly has contempt for BoJo (speaks to judgement) since she went for JH over him despite her being a Leaver. And yet there was an icy detachment from her favoured candidate which was most welcome in this day and age of shallow soundbites and instant gratification. No inappropriate matiness there from Mordaunt. No reprehensible matthancocking. For example, it was striking that when interviewed she never referred to him as 'Jeremy'. She always called him 'Hunt'. Seemed to make a point of it, actually.

So, yes, PM for PM at some point. And 12/1 for next Tory leader looks a steal. Fill your boots (!) because I predict that when a properly liquid market forms on betfair exchange she will be shorter.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    edited July 2019
    Like Jeremy Hunt this thread is now in

second place

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Boris Johnson Is About to Collide With Reality
    He has thrived on theatrics. As prime minister, he faces Brexit’s final act.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/23/opinion/boris-johnson-elected-brexit.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Animal_pb said:

Sean_F said:

IMF predicting a boris bounce for the economy - must be all those tax cuts for those struggling to get by on 50k

Good show. I struggle to get by on £50k.
    Try being a bit more bohemian - you can always switch to cider for example; one of those big bottles has your weekly allowance of alcohol in one handy bottle.
    Weekly allowance. Right.

Of all the lies the Brits tell, how modest their consumption of alcohol is (particularly when talking to the nurse or GP) has got to be their biggest whopper.
    Anyone struggling to live on £50k/y mystifies me. My red 'vin ordinaire' costs a mere £4 a bottle and it's very good. There are lots of good ones between £4-4.50.

Chateau Recougne from Majestic is one of the best clarets I've drunk for 20 years. It shortly goes on offer for ... £7.99 per bottle. I came across it at a relative's house in June and then found out that Majestic have a local branch.

I challenge most people to distinguish very good or excellent wine like this from 'great' wine - which I couldn't afford - in a blind tasting.
    I guess you don't live in London or the South East with a family - or you'd find it a lot less mystifying. Buying cheap wine would be the least of your worries!
    Well, rural_voter sure don't live anywhere rural.

The closest Majestic Wines to me are 2 and 1/2 hours drive away in Cardiff or Swansea.
    My nearest towns are probably Ludlow, Leominster or Knighton and there's a Majestic in Hereford. I don't know where you are ... possibly in the wilds of Powys.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046

I used to drink wine but I find it gives me heartburn nowadays (probably cus it's the cheap stuff)

More importantly though - can you tell the difference between Tennents and Carling?

It's not really a question anyway cause Carling is better.

But like the good Scots lad I am I drink Tennents.

However, given #indyref2 I will be making the switch.

Let today be the birth of the hashtag-

#Carling4Tennents4indyref2

Tennents Extra used to be the lager of choice for those who liked that sort of thing when I was a student. "Tenny Ecky" as it was known. I generally stuck to Banks's Mild. Those hedonistic days.
    Lager drinking. LAGER DRINKING. Get some decent beer.....bitter or something like that down yer.
    Rots yer socks, that lager rubbish.
    Unless in a hot country!
This discussion has been closed.