Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly people are wondering whether Farage is losing it

Comments

• Options
    Mr. F, altering the typical formation of the legions was also a mistake (one that would later be mirrored by Antiochus III at the Battle of Magnesia).

Mr. Eagles, your excuses fool nobody. I suggest that you revisit TA Dodge's excellent history of Hannibal.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited November 2013
    Eh? What a peculiar thing to say. I read very widely - which is why I post articles from all over - and have done so for years on PB.

I'm a wee bit insulted that you've said that, since I was one of the very few who agreed with you re Enoch Powell's controversial stuff. Hey ho.
    isam said:

Plato said:

I pay no attention to Mail or DT readers' comments on political stories - they're packed with tribes from various sides adding their 2p for zero charge.

I prefer the Times comments - at least you have to pay to leave a comment so are less likely to be trying to Twittermob articles.

'I don't like your tone Mr Farage': Tory minister launches devastating attack on UKIP leader putting 'fear in people's hearts' about immigration
    Anna Soubry tears into UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage
    The pair clashed on BBC's Question Time over immigration controls
    Defence minister says UKIP spread prejudice about eastern Europeans

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492481/Anna-Soubry-accuses-UKIPs-Nigel-Farage-putting-fear-peoples-hearts.html#ixzz2k4HhUSi1

I think it would be fair to say Mail readers are not happy.....

Is that a way of saying you pay no attention to views other than those you agree with #edmondswidget
  • Options
    tim said:

What reforms on immigration, the points system was in place and Britian remains in the EU with free movement.

Actually you have a point there. After years of basically doing nothing about uncontrolled immigration, at the end of the last government's period in office they finally got round to putting in place a reasonably sensible system. Partly as a result of that (plus additional measures on bogus colleges etc put in place by this government), Cameron will be able to claim the credit for a big reduction in immigration in this parliament.

This is, unusually, a bit of a Labour own-goal on messaging. Instead of taking the credit for the points-based system, they've either been pretending it doesn't exist, or vilifying the government for xenophobia, or dithering between accusing the government of being too tough or not tough enough.

And the Tories will be able to cite some killer stats in the run up to the GE about how they got immigration back under control.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited November 2013
    @SeanT

"Some people are claiming its one of the greatest movies ever made"

Definately not. It wouldn't be in my top 100. What it has is the most poetic first 30 minutes of a film i've seen. What's more though my knowledge of film effects is pretty good particularly motion control this one left me guessing.

Eagle. 2001 was a much more complete film for its time. This was just filmically very special.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

rcs1000 said:

The Farage comment that Brits "are discriminated against" for vegetable picking jobs is a very odd one. Does he really believe that farmers in Lincolnshire are economically irrational, and deliberately choose to pay more for worse workers?

Not sure what Farage was referring to, but haven't there been cases where gangmasters / foremen have wanted to only hire low-paid workers from a particular EU country, so the workforce can communicate well between themselves? If that is happening, then surely that is discrimination against British citizens?
    Forget the popular Daily Mail/Daily Express myths. I am a registered Gangmaster. We are heavily regulated and closely monitored. There are minimum enforceable contract rates which the GLA can and does check to ensure farmers are not being undercharged and gangmasters are paying workers the correct rate. The very few gangmasters who get caught paying below NMW are heavily fined and some are now in the pokey for the most extreme cases. The ALP is the industry body and works hard to ensure all Gangmasters comply. It is currently running Auto-enrolment seminars all over the UK to ensure that temporary workers are registered for pensions under the new legislation.

The reason most farmers and gangmasters continue to use foreign workers for fruit and vegetable picking is not because they are cheap but because unemployed British workers are generally unwilling to do hard physical work in return for the NMW when they can lie at home and pick up dole money. Of the jobs I advertised this year, only one attracted a British applicant. The others came from Poland and Latvia. Farage is totally out of order and Anna Soubry is correct, he is scare mongering and uttering terminological inexactitudes!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    http://order-order.com/2013/11/08/graph-majority-support-removal-of-spare-room-subsidy/

"54% say it is fair that people living in social housing who have more bedrooms than they need should receive less housing benefit. Just 27% disagree. The bedroom ‘tax’ is Labour’s favourite means of painting the Tories as callous and out of touch, the only problem is the public supports the policy…"
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

The weather. Jeez.

Steve Wright in the afternoon just told me it would be sunset at 4.25pm... looked outside and its already dark here in Upminster

Soubry's not winning anyone back she's just shoring up the LibLabCon vote. Think SeanT is the only possible Kipper waverer on here so why should it be a surprise that all the other posters are championing Soubry?
    Am I a kipper waverer? I suppose you could argue that. However, after Miliband's sub-Marxist conference speech I am inclined, very much, to hold my nose and vote Tory, or tactically, to keep Labour out.

My suspicion is that Miliband might want to foist his milksop communism on us, but reality will prevent him and he will turn out to be merely averagely incompetent (average for a Labour PM, that is). But there is always the chance that he will spend three years destroying the country before he realises his stupidity - or the markets force him to wise up - and, quite frankly, we can't afford those three years. France can't afford Hollande - look at their downgrade.

Anyone with any sense has to vote to keep Miliband out of office. And that does not mean voting UKIP, a vote for UKIP really IS a vote for Labour. And I have a lot of sympathy for the UKIP perspective.
    I agree with everything you said there Sean
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Roger said:

COMPLETELY OT. For non film buffs but for the type of person who could talk endlessly about a high speed train......in other words political posters. Go and watch 'Gravity'. One of the most arresting first 30 minutes of a film I've seen and possibly a step advance in film making technique.

Heh. I think you mean me. ;-)

We really want to go and see it. But don't worry, we won't take out orbital mechanics book with us...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0486600610

All the reviews I've seen say it is rather good - none of the spaceship-exploding-in-a-ball-of-flames rubbish. Even scientists seem to like it, notwithstanding one or two impossibilities needed for the plot.

It's the old 'science FICTION' versus 'SCIENCE fiction' argument - and it seems it's firmly in the latter camp.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Good luck with that in NW1 @SeanT
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The Farage comment that Brits "are discriminated against" for vegetable picking jobs is a very odd one. Does he really believe that farmers in Lincolnshire are economically irrational, and deliberately choose to pay more for worse workers?

Not sure what Farage was referring to, but haven't there been cases where gangmasters / foremen have wanted to only hire low-paid workers from a particular EU country, so the workforce can communicate well between themselves? If that is happening, then surely that is discrimination against British citizens?
    Forget the popular Daily Mail/Daily Express myths. I am a registered Gangmaster. We are heavily regulated and closely monitored. There are minimum enforceable contract rates which the GLA can and does check to ensure farmers are not being undercharged and gangmasters are paying workers the correct rate. The very few gangmasters who get caught paying below NMW are heavily fined and some are now in the pokey for the most extreme cases. The ALP is the industry body and works hard to ensure all Gangmasters comply. It is currently running Auto-enrolment seminars all over the UK to ensure that temporary workers are registered for pensions under the new legislation.

The reason most farmers and gangmasters continue to use foreign workers for fruit and vegetable picking is not because they are cheap but because unemployed British workers are generally unwilling to do hard physical work in return for the NMW when they can lie at home and pick up dole money. Of the jobs I advertised this year, only one attracted a British applicant. The others came from Poland and Latvia. Farage is totally out of order and Anna Soubry is correct, he is scare mongering and uttering terminological inexactitudes!
    I bow to your superior knowledge. I'm trying to think of where I heard the original allegations - I think it was on the radio. But it is not necessarily about pay (they may get the NMW), but of only employing people from one country.

I can see why some employers may want to do that, but I can also see why it would be a very convenient invented myth.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Mr. F, altering the typical formation of the legions was also a mistake (one that would later be mirrored by Antiochus III at the Battle of Magnesia).

Mr. Eagles, your excuses fool nobody. I suggest that you revisit TA Dodge's excellent history of Hannibal.

O/T, but is the Malazan series any good?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    @Mike

"Suddenly people are wondering whether Farage is losing it"

How anyone could see this excercise in ignorance and not realize what kind of a boorish vulgarian Farage is I can't imagine. Yesterday was just more of the same. Frankly I find Nick Griffin more elegant but then again if you look around it's easy to spot the 10% who think of the street as a urinal to spot which is their constituency

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_sPYNSBWo
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    I doubt Farage's performance on QT will dramatically impact on UKIP's vote. The gradual moving on of the narrative since the summer has done and will. Though I suspect that first the removal of conditions on Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK and especially the run up to the Euro elections will return them to the limelight and then some and they should get a higher voteshare in 2014 than they did this year. Who knows that will prompt Cameron to do.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Easterross,

"The reason most farmers and gangmasters continue to use foreign workers for fruit and vegetable picking is not because they are cheap but because unemployed British workers are generally unwilling to do hard physical work in return for the NMW when they can lie at home and pick up dole money."

There is an element of truth in that, but the danger is in the perception that it applies to all locals. And I'm happy to defend the gangers who employed me. When I left, one said to me that "If this university-thingy doesn't work out, you've always got a full-time job with me picking tates."

But that was in 1967 and he'd be about 90 now. And they're got machines to do the job. But it is generally hard work and there are cushier numbers around. So i don't blame the locals too much.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    TGOHF said:

http://order-order.com/2013/11/08/graph-majority-support-removal-of-spare-room-subsidy/

"54% say it is fair that people living in social housing who have more bedrooms than they need should receive less housing benefit. Just 27% disagree. The bedroom ‘tax’ is Labour’s favourite means of painting the Tories as callous and out of touch, the only problem is the public supports the policy…"

It is all in what question is asked . If asked whether a 60 square foot box room is a spare bedroom or whether a room adapted for a kidney dialysis machine is a spare bedroom then the majority of the public do not agree with the government .
  • Options
    Of all the imponderables regarding the next general election, one I find particularly arresting is: could the Daily Telegraph back UKIP? It's not likely, but nor is it impossible. They could end up with a "vote UKIP or proper Tory" editorial line. Would be explosive if they did, and catastrophic for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Mr. F, er, jein.

To be honest, I wasn't taken with Gardens of the Moon (the first book). It isn't badly written or anything, I just find the excessive level of mystery to be a bit off-putting. Many others like it, or say that the later books are better, but I lack the time to read as much as I'd like so I never pursued the later books.

I think I still have the copy somewhere (got it pre-Kindle), but I'm not sure where. If you'd like, I could send it over to you, if I can find it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Neil said:

I doubt Farage's performance on QT will dramatically impact on UKIP's vote.

I agree - I doubt if it will have any impact. IMHO UKIP's support in the polls remains remarkably high considering that the (little) publicity they have had since the local elections has been universally bad. It will not be shifted by a single QT performance.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Completely O/T my candidate for the least likely and probably most unsuccessful plea for public sympathy of the day: The ballad of legal aid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEy_26045Vo&sns=tw&utm_source=Newsletters&utm_campaign=cbe8f74edd-SLN_08_11_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1eedb22a32-cbe8f74edd-65388281

I can feel the empathy already.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    We know that the 7-year EU permitted limitation on worker restrictions among EU member states expires for Romanian and Bulgarian citizens on Hogmanay. By the time of the Euro elections we will have had several months since the restrictions will have been lifted. IF by the time the elections come along our High Streets are not packed with shifty looking Roma from Romania and Bulgaria, Mr Farage will have to find another group to use as scaremongering.

Why do no journalists ask the man how much taxpayers money he and his chums are soaking up in salary and expenses from the EU they claim to want to leave?
  • Options

Of all the imponderables regarding the next general election, one I find particularly arresting is: could the Daily Telegraph back UKIP? It's not likely, but nor is it impossible. They could end up with a "vote UKIP or proper Tory" editorial line. Would be explosive if they did, and catastrophic for the Conservatives.

I can't see it happening under any circumstances. I think they are too utterly wedded to the Tory party. They might flirt with UKIP in an attempt to push the Tory party in a particular direction but in the end they are Blue through and through.
  • Options
    Bleedin nora - now I'm getting voucher for adverts popping up showing pictures of rival IFAs......

time to clear the cookies on PC!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I think UKiP could get a boost if the EU Referendum bill is either talked out or defeated. It would smack of the traditional parties not wanting a vote on Europe and Cameron needs to have a strategy in place to manage this if it happens.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Some very, very lucky people ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWIOpbJNPvk
  • Options

I can't see it happening under any circumstances. I think they are too utterly wedded to the Tory party. They might flirt with UKIP in an attempt to push the Tory party in a particular direction but in the end they are Blue through and through.
    I think the odds are massively "on" that they will stay loyal, not least because they risk alienating mainstream non-UKIP Tory readers. But as I say, it is not impossible they could switch allegiance to some extent. Even a sad-voiced "one can see the attraction of Mr. Farage and one could quite understand why proper Conservatives would vote UKIP", in an editorial rather than a op-column, would be very dramatic.
  • Options
    Neil said:

I doubt Farage's performance on QT will dramatically impact on UKIP's vote. The gradual moving on of the narrative since the summer has done and will.

Exactly, I doubt it will have any impact at all. But, as with Falkirk, how it plays in 'the narrative' and how it emboldens his opponents will have an effect.....and the longer this UKIP one man wag carries on, the less likely it looks like a serious political party. That's not to say that UKIP isn't a movement, with fair few people projecting onto it their angst at 'the state of Britain today' - but a party whose leader is yet to find a seat to fight within 18 months of polling day is a curious beast indeed......
  • Options

Even a sad-voiced "one can see the attraction of Mr. Farage and one could quite understand why proper Conservatives would vote UKIP", in an editorial rather than a op-column, would be very dramatic.

Would it? Do many people read the editorial? Does anyone ever vote a certain way because the newspaper they read said so? I think we can exaggerate the impact it would have.
  • Options

IF by the time the elections come along our High Streets are not packed with shifty looking Roma from Romania and Bulgaria, Mr Farage will have to find another group to use as scaremongering.

There are no restrictions on Roma coming here and looking shifty on the high streets if they want to. The main restriction in on working (which many Romanians and Bulgarians are here doing anyway). I suspect UKIP are going to find that their scaremongering was over-done.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    CD13 said:

I watched QT for the first time in ages as it was from my old home town.

Anna Soubry does a very good Thatcher impression, it was spooky. But I was never a Thatcher fan so I wasn't impressed.

Farage did make a serious point about immigration "management" being impossible in the EU, and no one really answered it. Immigration may well be a financial plus for the area but the problems it causes are real. Emily T even mumbled a sort of apology for getting it wrong. But lessons have been learned, let's put a line under it and move on. Forget it ever happened type of thing.

My nephews didn't have the choice of land-work as I did (most of my out-of-school hours in the season from age 13 to 17) because the farmers prefer immigrants who work hard and don't complain. Good for the country (and the farmers), bad for the local youths.

This helps the sense of alienation from politics. We know what's best for you so just suck it up. If you moan, it's because you don't understand the benefits, you're racist, or you're too stupid to look at the bigger picture.

Farage stands accused of being a populist - exactly what Ed and Cammo are on a regular basis.

Vicky Pryce will never make a politician but I thought she came over best. And I reckon Nick P will beat Mrs T in 2015

I agree.

At time it looked as though Soubry was a Labour MP defending the 2004 mess, while Thornberry was saying how Labour had got it wrong

Not a fag paper between them some might say

• Options
    @Carlotta

Falkirk has had no effect on the polls. Normal people dont care.
  • Options
    The New Statesman:

"The case for a Labour EU referendum pledge is becoming ever weaker
    Promising an in/out vote would shift the debate back onto Tory territory and allow Cameron to claim that Miliband is dancing to his tune."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/case-labour-eu-referendum-pledge-becoming-ever-weaker

Would that that would concentrate UKIP minds......
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    DavidL

Brilliant! The most kitsch but least persuasive ad i've seen.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Eh? What a peculiar thing to say. I read very widely - which is why I post articles from all over - and have done so for years on PB.

I'm a wee bit insulted that you've said that, since I was one of the very few who agreed with you re Enoch Powell's controversial stuff. Hey ho.

isam said:

Plato said:

I pay no attention to Mail or DT readers' comments on political stories - they're packed with tribes from various sides adding their 2p for zero charge.

I prefer the Times comments - at least you have to pay to leave a comment so are less likely to be trying to Twittermob articles.

'I don't like your tone Mr Farage': Tory minister launches devastating attack on UKIP leader putting 'fear in people's hearts' about immigration
    Anna Soubry tears into UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage
    The pair clashed on BBC's Question Time over immigration controls
    Defence minister says UKIP spread prejudice about eastern Europeans

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492481/Anna-Soubry-accuses-UKIPs-Nigel-Farage-putting-fear-peoples-hearts.html#ixzz2k4HhUSi1

I think it would be fair to say Mail readers are not happy.....

Is that a way of saying you pay no attention to views other than those you agree with #edmondswidget
    Apols, nothing personal

• Options
    Neil said:

@Carlotta

Falkirk has had no effect on the polls. Normal people dont care.

@Neil....watch the Labour vote in the Scottish Indie ref.....that could be Labour's biggest poll upset in decades.....London Labour are playing a very high stakes game.....

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Worlds First 3D Printed Metal gun

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=535_1383848670

Additive manufacturing is going to change the world.
  • Options
    Mr. Next, I read a story about an exoskeleton arm winning the Dyson prize. It was far cheaper than existing models, and the small team who made it used a 3D printer to help make (and then develop) a prototype.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @carlotta

You keep saying this - for the record, what do you expect to happen?
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL

Brilliant! The most kitsch but least persuasive ad i've seen.

Not exactly this is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULq3ErexZWQ

Probably my favourite advert.

• Options
    Neil said:

Even a sad-voiced "one can see the attraction of Mr. Farage and one could quite understand why proper Conservatives would vote UKIP", in an editorial rather than a op-column, would be very dramatic.

Would it? Do many people read the editorial? Does anyone ever vote a certain way because the newspaper they read said so? I think we can exaggerate the impact it would have.
    I think it would. It would shift the campaign coverage to "Cameron attempts to shore up right flank" with all the ham fisted courtships attempts that would inevitably follow. There would be a huge amount of media commentary on it and the Conservatives would look (and indeed would be) at the mercy of events rather than in control of them. You could see from Labour's reaction to the Sun's defection how much endorsements mean to the parties. The Telegraph may not be the Sun in terms of its reach and positioning but it would still hurt them badly.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I wish Soubry found another seat and got elected. She is very unlike the modern Tory. I am not sure which way she would vote in Cameron's referendum.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I wish Soubry found another seat and got elected. She is very unlike the modern Tory. I am not sure which way she would vote in Cameron's referendum.

She'd certainly vote to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I have in the past expressed identical sentiments about Nick for pretty similar reasons (not Europe of course).

• Options
    DavidL

Also kitch but persuasive for their market
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    How do the luvvies square these quotes from an immigrant living in Boston with their worldview about integration?

"Perhaps the most pertinent comment of the whole night came not from a panellist but a member of the audience.

The man in question, himself a migrant who has been living in Boston for a number of years, said: "As a foreigner, the lack of integration worries me. I work with people who don't want to speak English, they want to speak their own languages.

“Kids are suffering, my son who is 11 is now swearing in Russian.

“As a foreigner I try to teach them in the proper way, sending them to good schools. “Integration here doesn't exist. I agree with Nigel despite being a foreigner.

“Lots of people come here and start claiming, I heard some say there's a lot of money in England and I'll take as much as I can.

“The government need to address integration otherwise we're going to lose British way".

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/441884/Last-night-s-Question-Time-was-my-25th-appearance-and-audiences-still-agree-with-me
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Good girl ! One of the very few who has the guts to speak out and not muzzled by the mob. I bet 33% of Tories would vote to stay in. After all, it is the Tories who signed most of the treaties. The treaty to join, the single market. The right to freely move within is enshrined in the original Treaty of Rome, so we agrred to the same at the time we joined the EEC.
  • Options
    Yup. Got to keep ed out. Ukip locals and euros. Unconvinced blue when it matters at GE. Lots like this I suspect.
  • Options
    isam said:

Wont someone please think of the children!
  • Options
    Great Obit for John Cole in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/politics-obituaries/10435888/John-Cole-Obituary.html

And wonderful Thatcher anecdote:

"In The Thatcher Years (1987) he wrote: “I heard of one occasion when she breezed into a meeting, slapped a file on the table and said to the assembling ministers, 'I’m in a dreadful hurry this morning. I’ve only really got time to explode.’”
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

How do the luvvies square these quotes from an immigrant living in Boston with their worldview about integration?

"Perhaps the most pertinent comment of the whole night came not from a panellist but a member of the audience.

The man in question, himself a migrant who has been living in Boston for a number of years, said: "As a foreigner, the lack of integration worries me. I work with people who don't want to speak English, they want to speak their own languages.

“As a foreigner I try to teach them in the proper way, sending them to good schools. “Integration here doesn't exist. I agree with Nigel despite being a foreigner.

“Lots of people come here and start claiming, I heard some say there's a lot of money in England and I'll take as much as I can.

“The government need to address integration otherwise we're going to lose British way".

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/441884/Last-night-s-Question-Time-was-my-25th-appearance-and-audiences-still-agree-with-me

Kids swearing in Russian?

How many Russians are there in Boston Lincs, not a lot

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6275026&c=boston&d=13&e=61&g=6445706&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1383930837021&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2525
    Haha take it up with the bloke who said it, he lives there not you or I
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @SeanFear,

A couple of threads back you mused whether Anna Soubry might be the more left-wing candidate in Broxtowe.

Judging by Nick Palmer's record 1997-2010, you might be onto something. Alternatively, he was simply toeing the Blairite line through thick and thin, rain and snow, ying and yang, Pinky and Perky.

Labourites for Anna in 2015?

Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests.
    Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals.
    Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
    Voted very strongly for university tuition fees.
    Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
    Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
    Voted strongly for a stricter asylum system.
    Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.
    Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10472/nick_palmer/broxtowe
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Isam

“As a foreigner I try to teach them in the proper way, sending them to good schools. “Integration here doesn't exist. I agree with Nigel despite being a foreigner. "

Don't you find something unpleasant about a recent immigrant wanting to exclude even newer immigrants? I'm alright Jack pull up the drawbridge..........
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    One for the PB Kinnocks to chew on. Former head of BBC TV News
    On the BBC’s own admission, in recent years it did not, with the virtue of hindsight, give enough space to anti-immigration views or to EU-withdrawalists; and, though he may have exaggerated, the former Director-General Mark Thompson spoke of a “massive bias to the left” in the BBC he joined more than 30 years ago. I share Mark’s view that there was more internal political diversity in recent times, but that isn’t enough unless it’s evident in a wider range of editorial views on air.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article3916059.ece
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    JohnO said:

@SeanFear,

A couple of threads back you mused whether Anna Soubry might be the more left-wing candidate in Broxtowe.

Judging by Nick Palmer's record 1997-2010, you might be onto something. Alternatively, he was simply toeing the Blairite line through thick and thin, rain and snow, ying and yang, Pinky and Perky.

I remember the line about him, "would eat his own feet if asked to by the Whip's office" or something like that!
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Isam

“As a foreigner I try to teach them in the proper way, sending them to good schools. “Integration here doesn't exist. I agree with Nigel despite being a foreigner. "

Don't you find something unpleasant about a recent immigrant wanting to exclude even newer immigrants? I'm alright Jack pull up the drawbridge..........

What the man in question dislikes is the failure of recent immigrants to attempt to integrate and the lack of a cohesive society that results. I see nothing wrong in him feeling that way

• Options
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Good girl ! One of the very few who has the guts to speak out and not muzzled by the mob. I bet 33% of Tories would vote to stay in. After all, it is the Tories who signed most of the treaties. The treaty to join, the single market. The right to freely move within is enshrined in the original Treaty of Rome, so we agrred to the same at the time we joined the EEC.
    33% sounds about right.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Isam

It shows how well-integrated he is.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

@Isam

What the man in question dislikes is the failure of recent immigrants to attempt to integrate and the lack of a cohesive society that results. I see nothing wrong in him feeling that way

You didnt think he was full of crap? A lot of people are, we shouldnt take his word as gospel just because he's foreign. I mean I'm foreign but I'm definitely full of crap.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

@SeanFear,

I remember the line about him, "would eat his own feet if asked to by the Whip's office" or something like that!
    Hi Max, I knew there was a quote on those lines! Mind you, who can forget Nick's memorable hard-ball questions at PMQs. On reflection, I think he would concede that these were not his finest hours as an MP. On occasions he even made Stewart Jackson (I'm no fan) a veritable statesman by comparison.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

@SeanFear,

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which"
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Neil said:

isam said:

Roger said:

@Isam

You didnt think he was full of crap? A lot of people are, we shouldnt take his word as gospel just because he's foreign. I mean I'm foreign but I'm definitely full of crap.
    Well you could say that about anyone who says anything really couldn't you?

I feel you only say that as he was saying something you disagree with. If an ex coal miner started taking up green energy I reckon youd be quoting him on here.

But I could be wrong

• Options
    Leave NPxMP alone. Craven authoritarian lefty he may be but he is always courteous and can be forgiven a lot for his Flagship days
  • Options
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Roger said:

@Isam

Yeah but we should be really suspicious about people who make very general claims without anything to back them up at all, "Lots of people come here and start claiming, I heard some say there's a lot of money in England and I'll take as much as I can." I mean couldnt he have named names? Research shows that the people he is talking about contribute far more than they take so even if he wasnt making these things up his anecdotes dont reflect reality very well
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Isam

Ah yet another Roger misrepresentation of the truth. He didn't say anything about wanting to exclude newer immigrants. You just made that up.

All he said was that he wanted immigrants to integrate. Of course being someone who spends a great deal of time living it up in another country I am sure you have some views on that as well.

Hypocrite.
  • Options

Leave NPxMP alone. Craven authoritarian lefty he may be but he is always courteous and can be forgiven a lot for his Flagship days

Goodness, a bit of gentle ribbing.....

• Options
    JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

@SeanFear,

Hi Max, I knew there was a quote on those lines! Mind you, who can forget Nick's memorable hard-ball questions at PMQs. On reflection, I think he would concede that these were not his finest hours as an MP. On occasions he even made Stewart Jackson (I'm no fan) a veritable statesman by comparison.
    Now now! Nick was commendably loyal - revolting on fewer than 1% of votes in 13 years:

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?id=uk.org.publicwhip/member/1462&showall=yes

Anna Soubry on the other hand has already revolted on 1.5% votes in three and a half years:

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=Anna_Soubry&mpc=Broxtowe&house=commons
  • Options

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

@SeanFear,

Now now! Nick was commendably loyal - revolting on fewer than 1% of votes in 13 years:

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?id=uk.org.publicwhip/member/1462&showall=yes

Anna Soubry on the other hand has already revolted on 1.5% votes in three and a half years:

And for the last 12 months of which she has been a Minister and thus bound by collective responsibility.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

He is "always courteous" until you have the temerity to point out he has said something stupid. Then he is anything but courteous.
  • Options
    @JohnO

"On occasions he even made Stewart Jackson (I'm no fan) a veritable statesman by comparison."

The unkindest cut of all
  • Options
    OT Iain Martin's book on the RBS crash is currently 49p on Amazon Kindle.....
  • Options
    edited November 2013

JohnO said:

He is "always courteous" until you have the temerity to point out he has said something stupid. Then he is anything but courteous.
    Yes, I had included a reference to the 'stalking' in my previous post but then deleted it so as not to appear aggressive. Nick lost a bit of personal good-will by that gratuitous side-swipe at you..
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

@SeanFear,

And for the last 12 months of which she has been a Minister and thus bound by collective responsibility.
    NP was part of the payroll vote for a portion of his time as well. I'm unsure why Carlotta thinks achieving 1.5% "already" is significant seeing as it is a proportion and thus represents a much lower actual number of rebellions.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, for a mere 17p more you could buy the excellent Bane of Souls ;)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

fair waste of 49p
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    The Tories would certainly be wise to take this sort of approach to UKIP. There are more many votes in the detox Centre than the toxic Right. Though the crackpot Crosby probably won't change course now.

Soubry was OK, but I was expecting a bit more reading the comments on this thread. It's not up to this standard, is it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ZCrDtAC7A

• Options
    JohnO

"Voted for......"

Disappointing. I would have voted against six of them.

In fairness he was an MP during Blair's 'Tory years'.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited November 2013
    malcolmg said:

fair waste of 49p
    But less than you'd have to spend buy Joan McAlpine in the Daily Record:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2013/11/commemorating-the-first-world-war-is-not-a-festival-of-british-nationalism/

"Joan McAlpine, for instance, this week used her propaganda column in the Daily Record to assail David Cameron’s plans for “jingoistic celebrations” of the war.

It should hardly need saying that these “jingoistic celebrations” exist only in fevered nationalist imagination......."
  • Options
    edited November 2013

malcolmg said:

fair waste of 49p
    But less than you'd have to spend buy Joan McAlpine in the Daily Record:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2013/11/commemorating-the-first-world-war-is-not-a-festival-of-british-nationalism/

"Joan McAlpine, for instance, this week used her propaganda column in the Daily Record to assail David Cameron’s plans for “jingoistic celebrations” of the war.

It should hardly need saying that these “jingoistic celebrations” exist only in fevered nationalist imagination......."
    If its Cameron it will be jingotastic, only dolts like him would suggest celebrating the slaughter of countless millions

Surely the Daily Rectum cannot cost more than 49p, it would be expensive at 2p.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    She’s a minister and her line of attack would have been agreed beforehand with coalleagues.

Is coalleagues the new term for the fraternal relationships between LibDems and Tories?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

fair waste of 49p

You should read it Malcolm.

If nothing else, it correctly locates the headquarters of RBS.

Also worth a read by those who think Alistair Darling was a hero during the crash.
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

isam said:

Kids swearing in Russian?

How many Russians are there in Boston Lincs, not a lot

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6275026&c=boston&d=13&e=61&g=6445706&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1383930837021&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2525
    Haha take it up with the bloke who said it, he lives there not you or I
    You posted repeatedly a woman who was from Lincoln on a QT from there who claimed Boston maternity unit was overflowing and people were being sent to Lincoln harming her healthcare, remember.
    I went and got you the figures which showed the opposite was true, Lincoln closed regularly and Boston took the overspill.
    Believing somebody on QT without looking at the basic facts and posting it on here doesn't mean it's true
    You and other left wing people on here never believe what the people who live in areas affected by mass immigration say, preferring to look at government stats.

Here is what the woman said, people can make their own minds up if you are misrepresenting what I said or not. I never mentioned healthcare, overspill etc and it isn't the main thrust of this ladies story either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QYCTDXq56w
  • Options
    @Tyndall

"Ah yet another Roger misrepresentation of the truth. He didn't say anything about wanting to exclude newer immigrants. You just made that up."

You really are the pedant's pedant! Who else could he have been talking about? It was the whole thrust of the debate.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @ROberts

' It's not up to this standard, is it - '

Your having a laugh,the hypocrite that spent months sucking up and begging Paul Dacre for a job..
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

If all the immigrants went home, there wouldn't be 100 British people lining up for the job, instead we simply probably wouldn't have a cleaner, and I'd have a grumpy wife.

And there was me assuming that, as a very modern family man, you would chip in with the housework ;-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

fair waste of 49p

You should read it Malcolm.

If nothing else, it correctly locates the headquarters of RBS.

Also worth a read by those who think Alistair Darling was a hero during the crash.
    I will give it a go then
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Roger said:

@Isam

Yeah but we should be really suspicious about people who make very general claims without anything to back them up at all, "Lots of people come here and start claiming, I heard some say there's a lot of money in England and I'll take as much as I can." I mean couldnt he have named names? Research shows that the people he is talking about contribute far more than they take so even if he wasnt making these things up his anecdotes dont reflect reality very well
    Exactly. The immigration "debate" seem to be conducted entirely on the basis of anecdote, assertion and xenophobia. I have not heard of any evidence-based academic study which backs up the assertion that recent levels of immigration are in any way undesirable either economically or socially.
  • Options
    tim said:

@JohnO

Do you expect Stewart Jackson to ramp up fear of immigrants sufficiently for UKIP to cost him his seat?
    It would be fitting,

Now, how much was our bet that Kris Hopkins would lose his seat in 2015? Was it £30 or £50 - I haven't logged with PtP and I've forgotten (though I have a feeling it was £30)?
  • Options
    tim said:

Shall we try and factcheck Farages claim that kids from Boston are "bussed out twenty miles"

"There is not a shortage of school places in Boston. The recent media coverage regarding a child in Kirton being offered a place 10 miles away was inaccurate

"We have successfully planned sufficient school places to ensure that 93% of Lincolnshire children have been offered a place at their 1st preference school. This is the same as last year, despite an increase of over 500 applications. In Boston 88% have been offered places at 1st preference schools, and all children will be offered a place within a reasonable distance of where they live.
    Pupil forecasting for school place planning is based on GP registrations which in recent years has been accurate to within 1%. However, this year we have seen unexpected additional pressure from EU migrant families in addition to increased birth rates and this has not fully been picked up by the GP data that feeds the projections. With late applications as well we have had some challenges but have been able to address these."

http://www.boston.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7428&p=0

Looks like Nige might be making things up

According to Lincolnshire County Council a 'reasonable distance' for my son was 7 miles as the crow flies, 8 miles by road. Given that my daughter was at a school 9 miles in the other direction and we only had one car they seemed rather surprised when we turned down the offer. .
  • Options
    Looks like these racist, xenophobic Asian & Black Britons have new soulmates in the Eastern European immigrants who are complaining about lack of integration

Its only middle class white British luvvies who dont see it!

"According to the survey, 39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Tyndall

"Ah yet another Roger misrepresentation of the truth. He didn't say anything about wanting to exclude newer immigrants. You just made that up."

You really are the pedant's pedant! Who else could he have been talking about? It was the whole thrust of the debate.

Nope. He was talking about integration. It is you who are seeking to misrepresent his views and put words in his mouth.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Isam

"Here is what the woman said, people can make their own minds up if you are misrepresenting what I said or not."

Another one.

I have a real problem with people like that who wouldn't be in this country if we hadn't accepted immigrants.

I have a property in France and in truth I'd prefer it if there were no English people anywhere near but I'm aware that if I articulated this perhaps accompanied by "and they don't bother to speak the language their dress sense is shocking and they're often overweight ......." I'd sound like a hypocrite even though I personally suffer from none of the above.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Shall we try and factcheck Farages claim that kids from Boston are "bussed out twenty miles"

"There is not a shortage of school places in Boston. The recent media coverage regarding a child in Kirton being offered a place 10 miles away was inaccurate

"We have successfully planned sufficient school places to ensure that 93% of Lincolnshire children have been offered a place at their 1st preference school. This is the same as last year, despite an increase of over 500 applications. In Boston 88% have been offered places at 1st preference schools, and all children will be offered a place within a reasonable distance of where they live.
    Pupil forecasting for school place planning is based on GP registrations which in recent years has been accurate to within 1%. However, this year we have seen unexpected additional pressure from EU migrant families in addition to increased birth rates and this has not fully been picked up by the GP data that feeds the projections. With late applications as well we have had some challenges but have been able to address these."

http://www.boston.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7428&p=0

Looks like Nige might be making things up

According to Lincolnshire County Council a 'reasonable distance' for my son was 7 miles as the crow flies, 8 miles by road. Given that my daughter was at a school 9 miles in the other direction and we only had one car they seemed rather surprised when we turned down the offer. .
    Farage is claiming kids are bussed 20 miles out of Boston,smells like bullshit to me
    Of course it does. But whether it is true or not your immediate dismissal of the claim with no knowledge other than your own opinion says far more about you than it does about Farage.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    I thought AS's intervention on this was pretty good too!

I won't get into the well-worn subject of my personal qualities or absence thereof, but instead have a question for tim or anyone else who knows about booze. I've turned up a weighty 1.5 liter bottle of Jean-Marie Epernay Champagne Brut. which must have been a leaving present in Switzerland 16 years ago. It looks quite impressive, but I know absolutely nothing about champagne. Should I assume it's gone flat and pour it down the loo? Or is it a splendid thing which I ought to put up at a raffle as a super prize?

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

@JohnO

Do you expect Stewart Jackson to ramp up fear of immigrants sufficiently for UKIP to cost him his seat?
    It would be fitting,

Now, how much was our bet that Kris Hopkins would lose his seat in 2015? Was it £30 or £50 - I haven't logged with PtP and I've forgotten (though I have a feeling it was £30)?
    Can't remember, it can be however much you want it to be though.

He's disappeared since being made housing backbencher, probably wisely

@brickonomics: DCLG net supply of housing data: In England 124,720 net additional dwellings in 2012-13, 8% fall from 2011-12 http://t.co/HngCxwAtzv

@ggilmorekf: UK Development Land prices up 2.7% in Q3 http://t.co/WFJz9kly87

Or you could read this too?

Growth in new housing construction gains momentum
    New housing is being ordered at the fastest rate since 2007, with London leading the way

In the last six months, new housing has been one of the main growth areas in the construction industry. This has particularly been evident in the growth in the value and volume of orders by construction companies to build new housing. This is not the same as the output of new housing, which is registered only when the properties are completed. As a result, increases or decreases in new orders will generally take many months to be reflected in output.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/construction/output-in-the-construction-industry/july-2013/sty-growth-in-new-housing.html

The Home Builders Federation reported that 4,000 new homes were reserved during the first two months of the equity loan scheme; this equates to approximately 20% of all demand for new homes prior to the scheme, which is similar to the rate of increase in the ONS data. They also reported that some of their members had revised their projected build levels upwards due to the scheme, and the number of properties with approved planning permission increased 49% between Q2 2012 and Q2 2013, suggesting that home builders are optimistic about future demand. However, the extent of the impact of Help to Buy on the market cannot be precisely stated.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

I won't get into the well-worn subject of my personal qualities or absence thereof, but instead have a question for tim or anyone else who knows about booze. I've turned up a weighty 1.5 liter bottle of Jean-Marie Epernay Champagne Brut. which must have been a leaving present in Switzerland 16 years ago. It looks quite impressive, but I know absolutely nothing about champagne. Should I assume it's gone flat and pour it down the loo? Or is it a splendid thing which I ought to put up at a raffle as a super prize?

It's probably oxidised a little or possibly quite a lot (depending on where you stored it), but it's very unlikely to be flat or undrinkable. It might be delicious. Not really a raffle prize, though, because it might be past it.

Best thing is to open it at an occasion where it can either be enjoyed if it's still good, or put down to experience if it isn't.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

In 17 months expect to see this on a leaflet through your letterbox. I'm warning you!
  • Options
    @GarethJAnderson: Ever wondered why UKIPers all say the same things in debate? I present the leaked UKIP Rapid Rebuttal Technique: http://t.co/L0zXxJQV63
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Off topic but: I note pensions minister Steve Webb came out with some reasonable enough proposals to try to salvage something from the smoking wreckage of defined benefit ( final salary ) pension schemes yesterday. Fair enough mostly, except they are a decade too late. I really think this is some sort of guilt attached to politicians' own DB schemes as they realise nobody else outside the public sector is going to be left with one. The politicians ( and especially one G Brown) have a lot to answer for here, they loaded ever more risk, cost, and volatility on to employers over the years and are only now becoming vaguely aware of the financial Stalingrad they have helped create for millions in future decades.

Trouble is pension disasters are like tsunamis: small distant and insignificant when they first happen, but unstoppable and catastrophic as time goes by and they hit.
  • Options
    @NickP - Keep it in a cool place and open it on the night of May 7th/8th 2015, either as celebration or commiseration!
  • Options

It depends on how it's been stored. It should be ok - but in case it isn't, I wouldn't raffle it.

Save it until May 2015 to either toast your victory or drown your sorrows (or those of your helpers...and of course in private as I'm sure Labour already has enough champagne socialists - tho I heard today the term had been superseded...)
This discussion has been closed.