Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

2»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,993
    edited November 2013
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Any markets on Sourby vs Palmer ?

Yes

Nick 1/3 Soubry 11/4

What was it before her awful performance on QT? 5/6 each of two?
    Nick's longest price in the seat has only been 1/2, no 5/6.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

isam said:

isam said:

Wow that's some impressive faux outrage from Anna Soubry...

Looks like she's grown a Sh*t moustache for Movember!

Always quite liked her but she is hamming it up like Meg Richardson.

As for Farage he is doing really well, hard to argue with a single word he has said.

Fantastic that an Eastern European immigrant in the audience was backing Farage up and saying how few bothered integrating while all the luvvies pretend to be outraged at the suggestion that Boston was suffering at all

None so blind...
    A bit like the leftie comedians not liking Mickey Flanagan, yet he was the only one of them brought up in a council flat in a proper working class area and he doesn't want to go back.
    Flanagan is a leftie comic - which others don't like him?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/micky-flanagan-the-raggedtrousered-controversialist-6264967.html
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054
    Bobajob said:

Sorry I see now that this was a Labour defence! I wouldn't have though Chipping Norton was obvious Labour country, but there you go.

The first step towards taking Witney in 2015. I'd pay to see that one.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Chipping Norton Lab gain - What will Rod Crosby's by election swingback calculator make of that one :D !?

That was a LAB hold not a gain

Sorry I just assume the home turf of Brookes, Clarkson and Cameron to be conservative ;)
    I made exactly the same error. It really is quite hard to comprehend that that is a relatively safe Labour ward. They must love ribbing Dave down the local.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

down in the old south. surrey

Pulpstar said:

Collapse in the LD vote in Spelthorne - Where the heck is Spelthorne anyway though >?

Spelthorne is the bit left of old Middlesex which was then shunted into Surrey
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Yes

Nick 1/3 Soubry 11/4

I'll lay Nick for £20 liability, will you take it?
    The only people on the site I bet wth are those I know. I got stung for £500 a year or so back.

In any case my betting's about making money not making political points.

Also I don't do little bets.

" I got stung for £500 a year or so back"

Thought you didn't do little bets
    You are Financier and I claim my free bag of jelly babies.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Collapse in the LD vote in Spelthorne - Where the heck is Spelthorne anyway though >?

Actually Spelthorne is in Middlesex, it was transferred to Surrey in 1965 (when the bulk of Middlesex became northern and western Greater London). Neighourhoods include Staines, Sunbury and Ashford (Middlesex).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,995
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Yes

Nick 1/3 Soubry 11/4

What was it before her awful performance on QT? 5/6 each of two?
    Nick's longest price in the seat has only been 1/2, no 5/6.
    Just a joke, that was such a poxy performance from Soubry on QT tho. I was watching it thinking "she doesn't believe a word she's saying"
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Bobajob said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Chipping Norton Lab gain - What will Rod Crosby's by election swingback calculator make of that one :D !?

That was a LAB hold not a gain

Sorry I just assume the home turf of Brookes, Clarkson and Cameron to be conservative ;)
    I made exactly the same error. It really is quite hard to comprehend that that is a relatively safe Labour ward. They must love ribbing Dave down the local.
    Hardly safe , see the 2010/2011 results .
  • Options
    I am still wondering who tampered the ballot box in Erith! And the reason to do it
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,995
    Bobajob said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Yes

Nick 1/3 Soubry 11/4

The only people on the site I bet wth are those I know. I got stung for £500 a year or so back.

" I got stung for £500 a year or so back"

Thought you didn't do little bets
    You are Financier and I claim my free bag of jelly babies.
    Haha just a little joke, but in response to a pretty arrogant comment
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Actually Spelthorne is in Middlesex, it was transferred to Surrey in 1965 (when the bulk of Middlesex became northern and western Greater London). Neighourhoods include Staines, Sunbury and Ashford (Middlesex).
    So actually it's in Surrey - it hasn't been in Middx for nearly 50 years!
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Pulpstar said:

Wrong side of the River Thames for Surrey!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    No surprise Andrea is getting mentioned by those with a close eye on politics but congratulations are obviously in order all the same.

Andrea was one of the very few to spot the significance of Falkirk while witless scottish tory surgers and other PB tories were merely shrieking about it because they heard the word "unions" in the story.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Pulpstar said:

Wrong side of the River Thames for Surrey!
    Check the South West Train timetables, Ashford is shown as Ashford (Middlesex)!
  • Options
    Sam Cam must love having all those political kindred spirits on her doorstep
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2013
    Nottingham-Dales

Lab 1644 UKIP 364 Con 220 Green 99 LD 78 TUSC 72
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054
    Bobajob said:

Sam Cam must love having all those political kindred spirits on her doorstep

And Dave too if you believe Peter Hitchens.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

West Oxon Chipping Norton Lab 810 Con 500 Green 58 LD 53

Tories walloped in Dave's backyard? Seems an odd result?
    Not really the seat was a long time labour held, and the conservative candidate has a some what shady local reputation (he's a builder)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Andrea

I didnt realise that Parmjit Dhanda was also in the running for Brent Central. Can there ever have been so many ex MPs in the running for a seat?
  • Options
    #Neil

we will introduce the All Former MPs shortlists. They can go along the All Family Members shortlists :-)

@fitalass

the turnout in the Nottingham ward you asked was 13.8%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,152
    Lanslide IOC win in Tupsley apparently
    https://twitter.com/roisinmiller
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Only bit of Question Time I missed tonight was this exchange between Farage and Soubry, but my youngest son's view was that Soubry came out on top? Overall, not one of Nigel Farage's better outings on Question Time, his lazy attempt to press the usual populist buttons misfired to often tonight. I was quite struck with the way that Soubry really channelled her inner Mrs Thatcher steely persona tonight in the bits I saw, a real don't mess with me toughness emerging there. Also thought that Vicky Pryce was quite good tonight, especially on the last question where she ended up focussing on the current situation in Greek politics. Unfortunately Emily Thornberry stuck to her one gear persona on this panel, she has to be one of the most political unattractive and patronising politicians around today. What an awful contrast to far more able Labour performers like Douglas Alexander or Jim Murphy.

TGOHF said:

Yes

Nick 1/3 Soubry 11/4

HYUFD said:

Good clash on immigration between Farage and Anna Soubry on QT

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,152
    Fitalass Yes, worth catching on iplayer
  • Options
    Andrea, I haven't a clue what Wendy is up to these days, she really has disappeared from political public life. As for Dinky, he was on sparkling form on The Daily Politics, and he hasn't lost his mojo at all which makes his disappearance from front line media political life all the more strange. Cameron really should get him back onto the front line asap, still remember his excellent performance on a BBC Question Time in what is about the toughest gig for a Tory MP, Glasgow!

@fitalass

thanks. I sometimes fear they will soon forget Dinky on a trip abroad!
    What is Wendy doing these days?!

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @fitalass

Farage with his one-trick pony act made Soubry & Pryce look good.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Andrea.

Congratulations on getting some of the recognition you deserve. Your knowledge base is phenomenal.

I never really understood where your fascination for the minutiae of British politics originally came from or why it continues? I'm sure most PBers would be fascinated to know. If I recall correctly you have an academic background in politics?

All the best.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Usual sour grapes, but then our regular SNP contributors appeared to go AWOL on this story as it escalated to the point that the partial closure of Grangemouth was announced. I must admit that the hypocrisy of one SNP poster here today claiming that the Westminster Government 'threatening' the Scottish electorate over the frigates contract before the Indy Referendum was unwise was a keeper. Especially when the same poster then went onto claim that Faslane was going to get kicked out if Scotland went Independent, and that Westminster had had 50 years to prepare for an English replacement site for Faslane to boot! Absolutely pricesless political contradictions on display there.
    Mick_Pork said:

No surprise Andrea is getting mentioned by those with a close eye on politics but congratulations are obviously in order all the same.

Andrea was one of the very few to spot the significance of Falkirk while witless scottish tory surgers and other PB tories were merely shrieking about it because they heard the word "unions" in the story.

• Options
    Same old nasty party.
    Thomas Hemingford ‏@THemingford 7 Nov

Disabled people win living fund case against government http://bbc.in/1ar61qW #disability #tories
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @fitalass

Even SNP Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    And Scottish Labour Turkeys don't vote for Christmas either, as was shown when they not only welcomed the news regarding the Clyde Docks, but positively embraced it after yesterday's announcement. They enthusiastically backed the decisions and position of the current Government on the issue of the frigate contracts post an Indy Referendum. The contrast with their behaviour over the Grangemouth situation was a sight to behold, but then, there wasn't a conflict of interest which involved the Unite Union as a major local or national donor to muddy the waters on this issue.
    john_zims said:

@fitalass

Even SNP Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    fitalass said:

Usual sour grapes, but then our regular SNP contributors appeared to go AWOL on this story as it escalated to the point that the partial closure of Grangemouth was announced. I must admit that the hypocrisy of one SNP poster here today claiming that the Westminster Government were threatening the Scottish electorate over the frigates contract while claiming that Faslane was going to get kicked out, and that Westminster had had 50 years to prepare for an English replacement site for Faslane was priceless in its hypocrisy.

Mick_Pork said:

Your continued unwitting attempts to be PB's biggest self-parody never fails to amuse.

For your information when Mike Smithson had his last somewhat bizarre attempt at a poster of the year (which he abandoned) I had no hesitation in pointing out first that the accolade quite clearly deserved to go to Andrea.

I highlighted Falkirk and it's significance long before you and the other scottish tory surgers comical attempts to jump on the bandwagon. Which is why I know for a fact that Andrea fully understood the story from the off as well as it's implications for Grangemouth.

You self-evidently still don't understand the story even now as your hilarious praise for certain scottish labour MPs clearly indicates. I no more expect you to understand it than I would any obsequious Cameroonian spinner.

Name the SNP poster you are talking about before smearing him again so they can reply to your witless attacks. Or is he/she as fictional as your scottish tory surge was at the last election?

You add no more political insight to this site than a CCHQ press release and never will.
    As PB's leading anti-tipster and therefore a useful guide for punters where not to put their money you at least provide some value and endless hilarity however.

Lest your gigantic reserves of hypocrisy overcome you again remember that you saw fit to attack me so we'll have none of your pathetic whining about being the victim yet again.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it back dear.
  • Options
    "Labour leader Ed Miliband has an understandable wish to close down the Falkirk Labour Party affair. Unfortunately, so many questions remain unresolved that it is impossible for him to put a lid on this box. Indeed, the more keenly he attempts to do so, the more that problems confront him."

www.scotsman.com/news/leaders-miliband-needs-a-new-falkirk-inquiry-1-3179788

"Mr Miliband refused to answer questions about whether party rules allowed individuals to buy group memberships for family members, but claimed there was “very, very clear legal evidence” that Ms Hornall had not been not signed up by Unite."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/ed-miliband-refuses-to-condemn-labour-membership-1-3179802

"Another witness who claimed Labour’s biggest funder was embroiled in vote-rigging is standing by her account – piling more pressure on Ed Miliband to reopen an inquiry into the scandal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2491712/Second-witness-stands-Unite-vote-rigging-claim.html#ixzz2k0wgPxT7
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    fitalass said:

And Scottish Labour Turkeys don't vote for Christmas either, as was shown when they not only welcomed the news regarding the Clyde Docks, but positively embraced it after yesterday's announcement.

So to be clear you're saying it's a good thing some of your chums in scottish labour are so massively out of touch that they positively embraced over 800 jobs being lost in Govan before christmas just like you seem to be doing?

Unspoofable yet again.

• Options
    Many thanks, after that last lenthy rant I knew another one would be forthcoming, I just had to hope it would be short enough for me to link a response to this time.
    Oh dear, those points I made really hit home. I usually judge the length and severity of the personally aimed attack rant you fire off in response to a post a good guide to how badly you lost the political argument. You never disappoint, and your signature repetitive links to old stories or polls in response to criticism of the SNP you cannot intelligent rebut yourself bore the pants of most of us. You really are the will-o'-the-wisp Scottish poster on this site, and always the one who likes to give it out, but then doesn't even have even a sniff of an identity to back up your boast and bile attack comments on others here.
    Mick_Pork said:

fitalass said:

Usual sour grapes, but then our regular SNP contributors appeared to go AWOL on this story as it escalated to the point that the partial closure of Grangemouth was announced. I must admit that the hypocrisy of one SNP poster here today claiming that the Westminster Government were threatening the Scottish electorate over the frigates contract while claiming that Faslane was going to get kicked out, and that Westminster had had 50 years to prepare for an English replacement site for Faslane was priceless in its hypocrisy.

Mick_Pork said:

fitalass said:

And Scottish Labour Turkeys don't vote for Christmas either, as was shown when they not only welcomed the news regarding the Clyde Docks, but positively embraced it after yesterday's announcement.

So to be clear you're saying it's a good thing some of your chums in scottish labour are so massively out of touch that they positively embraced over 800 jobs being lost in Govan before christmas just like you seem to be doing?

Unspoofable yet again.

• Options
    Just what the Police need - another tone-deaf (former) copper:

Plebgate: MPs accused of 'grandstanding' by Lord Blair
    Lord Blair, former head of the Metropolitan Police, accuses MPs of 'grandstanding' when they quizzed police officers over Plebgate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10434352/Plebgate-MPs-accused-of-grandstanding-by-Lord-Blair.html
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    fitalass said:

Many thanks, after that last lenthy rant I knew another one would be forthcoming, I just had to hope it would be short enough for me to link a response to this time.
    Oh dear, those points I made really hit home. I usually judge the length and severity of the personally aimed attack rant you fire off in response to a post a good guide to how badly you lost the political argument. You never disappoint, and your signature repetitive links to old stories or polls in response to criticism of the SNP you cannot intelligent rebut yourself bore the pants of most of us. You really are the will-o'-the-wisp Scottish poster on this site, and always the one who likes to give it out, but then doesn't even have even a sniff of an identity to back up your boast and bile attack comments on others here.

You didn't wait long enough dear. Your usual tactic of waiting till you think a poster has stopped posting before attacking them again didn't work. Too bad.

Your feeble repetition of 'the attack must have hit home' every single time a poster highlights your usual hypocritical contributions is as amusingly indicative of your impotent fury as it is predictable.

Nor does your hilarious aversion to facts, past political results and polling speak to you being anything other than a comically incompetent Cameroonian spinner completely out of touch with not merely the scottish electorate but westminster too.

You also need to get your spin straight dear.
    It wasn't me who was shrieking when your first name was used by other posters, that would be you. So you have no right whatsoever complain about anonymity on PB. Particularly when that is the clear and stated policy of those who run PB, which it is. " will-o'-the-wisp" is also amusingly inept spin from you considering I am usually attacked by the scottish tory surger old biddies and PB tories for posting too much.

By all means please continue your attacks as they could obviously not be construed as "bile" since smearing and bile is self-evidently only that which anyone other than PB tories do.

LOL

• Options
    ian mackay bell ‏@IanBell1916

For the purposes of information, the Govan yard lies in Johann Lamont’s constituency. Her articulate assessment should be one to treasure.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bigbuachaille ‏@bigbuachaille 5

Lab Party report "new members recruited by Gregory Poynton, contender f Lab nomination." He is Gemma Doyle's husband. http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/battle-of-falkirk-gets-murkier-for-labour/2656
    Watson had to quit while Murphy was booted out and some of us know why. (Not the scottish tory surgers obviously)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited November 2013
    Interesting post from John Curtice on what may lie behind the different Indie polling outcomes between Panelbase and TNS-BMRB:

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/11/new-poll-no-change-polls-apart-latest-tns-bmrb-poll/
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Nottingham-Dales

These figures represent big swings to Labour from the major parties compared to 2011. So Labour is getting stronger on the ground as GE2015 approaches.
  • Options

Spelthorne result Con 895 UKIP 441 Lab 227 LD 56

Big swing to UKIP. After SW London, I had assumed Spelthorne would have been ready for the Focus Group touch. The coalition has put that back 10 years. Why should an unhappy Tory go to the Yellows ? They are partners after all !

• Options
    Interesting post from James Kelly on the inaccurate reporting of TNS-BMRB polls.

When compared to the TNS poll conducted in late August, the No vote has slipped by four points from 47% to 43%, and the overall No lead has also dropped four points, from 22 points to 18. As you know, I can't help but roll my eyes at the mainstream media narrative that a small increase in the No lead is always "another blow for Alex Salmond", whereas a small decrease in the lead is always "another no change poll". In spite of the laughable double standard, there might sometimes be a justification for the latter point, because small changes are often just normal fluctuations that will cancel each other out. But I have a severe problem with anyone peddling the "no change" line in this particular case. Not only has the No lead reported by TNS-BMRB dropped by four points since August, but this is also the lowest No lead that TNS have shown for over two years. At its peak in the autumn of 2012, the lead stood at 25 points, so a drop of seven points since then is clearly statistically significant (ie. it's not a mirage caused by the standard margin of error). Furthermore, the proportion of undecided voters has climbed to a new high watermark for the third successive TNS poll, now standing at an astonishing 32%. How the hell does that constitute a "no change" position, guys?

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/boost-for-pro-independence-campaign-as.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Nottingham-Dales

These figures represent big swings to Labour from the major parties compared to 2011. So Labour is getting stronger on the ground as GE2015 approaches.
    Piling up votes in safe seats? Someone else does that too.....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Spelthorne result Con 895 UKIP 441 Lab 227 LD 56

Big swing to UKIP.
    Osbrowne and Crosby seem to be running out of master strategies to deal with the kippers.
    No way they are dropping well below 5% in 2015 if this and their polling keeps up.

• Options

surbiton said:

Nottingham-Dales

Once you take off your blue tinted glasses, you will see Labour is piling up votes everywhere.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Nottingham-Dales

Once you take off your blue tinted glasses, you will see Labour is piling up votes everywhere.
    Spelthorne?

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Farage needs to be prepared for surprise attacks from Tory MPs who are going to lose their seats cos of the UKIP vote.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 7th November - Con 33%, Lab 39%, LD 10%, UKIP 11%; APP -28
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Any more praise for Hollande's economic model?

S&P cuts france's credit rating from AA+ to AA. Citing weak growth high unemployment and slow reform. Retweeted by Paul Waugh.

All is well in the EU.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,007
    edited November 2013
    john_zims said:

@fitalass

Farage with his one-trick pony act made Soubry & Pryce look good.

As I have said before I don't think Farage is the best leader for UKIP but last night he was excellent.

And from a UKIP point of view so was Soubry. We need her on the TV all the time because she is brilliant at recruiting new members and support for UKIP with her sanctimonious and patronising attitude to people's genuine concerns.

This discussion has been closed.