Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

Freggles said:

Clegg should use the drunk excuse for forming the Coalition.

Or making the tuition fees pledge.

Or joining the Lib Dems

He should go for the Bill Clinton route

"I did not have political relations with that man, Mr Cameron"
    I wonder which one of them was wearing the blue dress?

(gets the mind bleach)
  • Options

Neil said:

Anyone wanting to see the sharp end of politics is welcome to join me canvassing in Donegal North East.

Now you're talking.

Only thing is, would Uncle JohnO and I actually be a help or a hindrance?

Maybe a better plan would be if we stay in a pub and wait for you to return (scathed or unscathed) to tell us all about it.
    Are we sure we'd be ok with JohnO getting on a ferry to Ireland.

I'm scared he'd end up in Amsterdam.

And we all know what Amsterdam is like
  • Options

Yeah, but it might be more receptive territory for the canvassing.
  • Options

Yeah, but it might be more receptive territory for the canvassing.
    True, I did once have a great weekend in Amsterdam, well the bits I can remember anyone.
  • Options

Neil said:

Think of the betting opportunities, think of Neil.

Ireland to hold referendum on gay marriage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/10429118/Ireland-to-hold-referendum-on-gay-marriage.html

My main tip was for the referendum to happen next year. Didnt happen but was outrageous value from Paddy Power at the time. This one will be *fun*. Anyone wanting to see the sharp end of politics is welcome to join me canvassing in Donegal North East.
    Which side will you be campaigning for?

Will my canvassing help swing things?
    I can do a very mean Ian Paisley "Save Ulster from sodomy" impression, if that would help.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Neil said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/10429118/Ireland-to-hold-referendum-on-gay-marriage.html

My main tip was for the referendum to happen next year. Didnt happen but was outrageous value from Paddy Power at the time. This one will be *fun*. Anyone wanting to see the sharp end of politics is welcome to join me canvassing in Donegal North East.

I can do a very mean Ian Paisley "Save Ulster from sodomy" impression, if that would help.
    In the Republic of Ireland, Dr Paisley is quite popular these days.
  • Options
    I see that OFPOL would have come in handy again today. The only walk of life where blatant corruption is tolerated is politics. But for some strange reason, politicians are highly resistant to the sort of controls that they would insist upon in any other walk of life. I wonder just why that might be.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Neil said:

I'm still considering trying to work for the residency requirement for standing for the presidency of Ireland. My connection with Eire is at least as good as Tony Cascarino's.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria:

And in a statement of obvious US Intelligence officials suspect Syria will hold on to some of its chemical arsenal. Curious that this has turned up now after the US is considered a busted flush by Assad and the long talked of Geneva 2 peace conference looks unlikely to happen in a hurry.Perhaps its a shot across the bows to tell Assad to keep the bargain or a shot across the bows of the Administration in Washington who have used the CW issue as a get out of Syria free card.

Meanwhile, some kind of incident in the Golan this evening. Rumours the Israelis and Assad's forces are at it but its dark and unclear. The number of such incidents is starting to stack up.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

I'm still considering trying to work for the residency requirement for standing for the presidency of Ireland. My connection with Eire is at least as good as Tony Cascarino's.
    Those were the days, when you could play for Ireland if you had only drunk a pint of Guinness
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

Those were the days, when you could play for Ireland if you had only drunk a pint of Guinness
    I'm entitled to an Irish passport. It's the residency requirement that's more problematic.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

I'm entitled to an Irish passport. It's the residency requirement that's more problematic.
    I'm sure you will be able to come up with an elegant solution.
  • Options
    I have an Irish address. Unfortunately, I think they're picky about which bit of Ireland it's in.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

I'm sure you will be able to come up with an elegant solution.

Only if he can find someone to pay the bill for the elegant solution.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I have an Irish address. Unfortunately, I think they're picky about which bit of Ireland it's in.

I'm sure the Republic still consider the North part of Ireland.

So in spirit, you're eligible.

I mean, if they let Barack Obama, who was born in Kenya, become US President, then they'll let you become Irish President.
  • Options
    Both my parents are eligible for Irish citizenship in their own right, each as grandchildren of a single Irish grandparent. I'm not, but I am through my civil partnership. How more Irish could I be?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    Chloe Smith has been reselected for the Conservatives in Norwich North:

"NorwichConservatives ‏@NRConservatives 4 Nov

We're delighted to be able to confirm @Chloesmithmp as the Conservative candidate for #Norwich North in 2015 http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/chloe_smith_picked_by_conservatives_to_stand_for_norwich_north_in_2015_general_election_1_2963015 …"

twitter.com/NRConservatives/status/397413252478795777

Other selections:

Sutton & Cheam, Labour: Emily Brothers

twitter.com/CandWCLP/status/397861716362801152

Lincoln, UKIP: Nick Smith

twitter.com/NickSmithUKIP/status/396707317762506752
  • Options
    Yay, we'll be having some Ugandan discussions tomorrow

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1m

EXCL: Getting tough, at long last - UK ends all aid to the Uganda government after officials syphoned off £1.3m. Full story in tmrw's Sun.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Both my parents are eligible for Irish citizenship in their own right, each as grandchildren of a single Irish grandparent. I'm not, but I am through my civil partnership. How more Irish could I be?

Is your name in fact Anti O'Frank?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Four seats have now selected candidates from Con, Lab, LD:

Derby North: Amanda Solloway / Chris Williamson* / Lucy Care

Hampstead & Kilburn: Simon Marcus / Tulip Siddiq / Maajid Nawaz

Norwich North: Chloe Smith* / Jessica Asato / James Wright

Oxford West & Abingdon: Nicola Blackwood* / Sally Copley / Layla Moran

Somerset North East: Jacob Rees-Mogg* / Todd Foreman / Sam Phripp
  • Options

antifrank said:

Is your name in fact Anti O'Frank?
    I've not yet dared enquire what the requirements are for Hungarian nationality. I believe the requirements are more demanding (and certainly more bureaucratic).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Damian Green was readopted as Tory candidate for Ashford a few weeks ago:

twitter.com/damiangreenmp/status/388756942019366912
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

There's also an age requirement. And there's no way you are 35! ;)

ps They're not picky what part of Ireland you are from to stand (Mary McAleese was Northern Irish) but you do have to live there too (though by the next election I suspect the Presidential franchise will be wider than it is now).
  • Options
    Sorry moderator. Didn't expect the Tweets to appear directly on the screen like that. Trying to edit the Damian Green one but it won't let me edit it at the moment.
  • Options
    Neil said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

ps They're not picky what part of Ireland you are from to stand (Mary McAleese was Northern Irish) but you do have to live there too (though by the next election I suspect the Presidential franchise will be wider than it is now).
    Right, next time if I'm not Mayor of London I'm definitely standing. I tick all the boxes.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Neil said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

Right, next time if I'm not Mayor of London I'm definitely standing. I tick all the boxes.
    Why can't you be both?

I mean the President of France is also the Co-Prince of Andorra.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Neil said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

As long as Michael D. isnt restanding. I wouldnt forgive you if you took him on. Are you sure 5 more years is enough time for you to meet the age requirement?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited November 2013

antifrank said:

Neil said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

Why can't you be both?

antifrank likes this.

EDIT being Mayor of London would obviously be the day job.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Link (free) of CNN livestream for the 2013 off year elections in the USA.

http://www.showscorner.com/cnn-live-streaming/
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Neil said:

Why can't you be both?

antifrank likes this.

EDIT being Mayor of London would obviously be the day job.
    Another example, Her Majesty the Queen is not only the Queen of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (and sixteen other realms) she's also The Duke of Normandy
  • Options
    I know, I'm the last person to criticise someone else's fashion choices, but good heavens, Theresa May is wearing an epilepsy attack inducing coat

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/05/article-2487821-1934979300000578-478_470x723.jpg
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,102
    Thanks Old Labour , Not long now until the first results
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Now Antifrank: I don't want to get into a fight - well not more than any Irish person. But I actually have an Irish passport and family there and an address and a race at Punchestown sponsored by the family. And I rather fancy being Irish President.

So the Neapolitan side of me would have to make you an offer you couldn't refuse.
  • Options
    Polls about to close in Virginia Governors' race
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Virginia Governor race projected too close to call by Wolf Blitzer

First exit polls from Virginia McAuliffe 50%, Cuccinelli 43%, Sarvis 7%
  • Options

I know, I'm the last person to criticise someone else's fashion choices, but good heavens, Theresa May is wearing an epilepsy attack inducing coat

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/05/article-2487821-1934979300000578-478_470x723.jpg

She was wearing a helluva pair of shoes when I met her last Friday.
  • Options
    My previous post should of course say five seats rather than four. I added another one and forgot to change the top of the post.
  • Options
    Toronto Mayor admits to inhaling crack cocaine
  • Options
    Live map of Virginian counties as the results come in.
    http://www.vpap.org/elections/live_results/nov_2013?race=gov
  • Options
    If he was from parts of the US, he'd have had his pastor with him.
    HYUFD said:

Toronto Mayor admits to inhaling crack cocaine

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Blitzer's a bit dim - he says only 5% of precincts are in and he doesn't know where they are, but if he glances at the NYT website he'll find it's 8%, with a map showing exactly where.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Overview of where the vote is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_subdivisions_of_Virginia

Heavily concentrated in the far east near the capital. I think McAuliffe is pretty safe - the race is too early to call rather than too close to call.
  • Options
    Old Labour Indeed, very much a confession the evangelical school though
  • Options
    God, flicking tv channels in a soulless hotel room to come across Russian state TV propaganda bemoaning the lack of political freedom in .. the USA. Is this channel exempt from whatever partiality rules bind UK based news channels? Why?
  • Options
    Any news on the secession campaign in Colorado?
  • Options
    New Jersey polls just closed, called for Christie by a landslide, winning 21% of Blacks and 45% of Hispanics. Looks like Virginia and NJ as expected, NYC probably the same, night!
  • Options
    CNN projects Bill di Blasio wins NYC Mayoral race, night
  • Options

Blitzer's a bit dim - he says only 5% of precincts are in and he doesn't know where they are, but if he glances at the NYT website he'll find it's 8%, with a map showing exactly where.

The surreal thing about these TV pundits is that they're supposed to be telling us what's happening, but they actually have less information than random data-literate internet users, because while we have time to watch what's going on, they're busy performing on live TV.
  • Options
    McAuliffe wins Virginia and my predictious account lives to fight another day.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Fascinating comment programme from 1994 about the news on TV, presented Allison Pearson:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcoLAOuYko
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    McAuliffe wins Virginia.

2 weeks ago he had a 12% lead, looks like he won by 1.4%.

McAuliffe hugely outspent the Republican candidate, yet his double digit lead collapsed dramatically.

One word - Obamacare.

The disastrous website rollout, and the 3.5 million insurance policy cancellations (estimated to go up to 10 million) forced by Obamacare regulations weighed heavy, combined with Obama's misrepresentation of the act.

If election day was a week later, Cuccinelli would probably have won.

Obamacare is becoming ever more toxic for the Democrats, and the problems go far beyond the short term problems of the website.

Red state Democrats are looking at this result and getting worried about their 2014 campaigns.

They will be held to account by the electorate for their support of Obamacare.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

McAuliffe wins Virginia.

Where's the 1.4% number coming from? In the presidential election it took a while to get all the results in.

Also, I don't think the polling supports your ObamaCare theory. It looks more like a big bump at the end of the shutdown (when you got your 12%), which then faded. If the polls turn out to have overestimated the lead in the actual election it seems more likely that they were wrong all along.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2013/governor/va/virginia_governor_cuccinelli_vs_mcauliffe_vs_sarvis-4111.html#.UnOCSIFyjGI.twitter
  • Options

Tim_B said:

McAuliffe wins Virginia.

Where's the 1.4% number coming from? In the presidential election it took a while to get all the results in.

Also, I don't think the polling supports your ObamaCare theory. It looks more like a big bump at the end of the shutdown (when you got your 12%), which then faded. If the polls turn out to have overestimated the lead in the actual election it seems more likely that they were wrong all along.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2013/governor/va/virginia_governor_cuccinelli_vs_mcauliffe_vs_sarvis-4111.html#.UnOCSIFyjGI.twitter
    It was the figure on CNN and Fox with 95% of the districts reporting.
  • Options
    The AP reports that as of 25 minutes ago, McAuliffe is leading by 1 point with 97% of precincts reporting.

Looks like the numbers will need a while to shake out to get the exact amount of the lead.

At present it looks like a squeaker. We'll know better tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The AP reports that as of 25 minutes ago, McAuliffe is leading by 1 point with 97% of precincts reporting.

Looks like the numbers will need a while to shake out to get the exact amount of the lead.

At present it looks like a squeaker. We'll know better tomorrow.

Wapo has 2.4% with 100% reporting.
    http://apps.washingtonpost.com/elections/guide/2013/VA/general/m/

The university polling society that said 2% when the big names were at 6% or 7% will be feeling pleased with itself...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 5th November - Con 34%, Lab 40%, LD 8%, UKIP 11%; APP -26
  • Options
    Interesting, R4 saying that BAe would have closed Portśmouth and moved everything to the Clyde - but given the Indie vote Government says no......
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 24m
    EXCL: GCHQ boss Sir Iain Lobban speaks for first time of his “fierce pride” in his spies after months of smears about them. See tmrw's Sun.

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 24m
    EXCL: 28 MPs call on Guardian to come clean on how many UK spies their leaks have put at risk in letter to @arusbridger. See tmrw's Sun.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited November 2013
    Carlotta, a lot of coverage of this news, and focussing on both the economic and political ramifications up here in Scotland tonight as you can imagine. Some interesting political angles on the announcement today being discussed up here.

There is still going to be a large number of redundancies at the Clyde Docks, but Government committed to keeping them open with further MOD orders. So despite the relief at this decision, no one is any way celebrating because of the sobering number of job losses. But its clear that the Westminster Government is now playing hard ball over this decision to award the Clyde Docks those future frigate contracts, there is a very clear message that they won't be signed until after the Indy Referendum result is announced. If Scotland votes Yes, they won't get these contracts, they will go elsewhere in the UK. I heard it suggested tonight that Portsmouth will be kept open meantime, and it will remain an alternative option until the Indy decision is settled?

It was also suggested tonight that the Westminster Government is now expecting the Indy Referendum to result in a No, and this helped the already strong arguments that the Clyde was the best option from a business point of view. The SNP representative on Newsnight Scotland last night had a complete mare of an interview on the issue of the Clyde Docks being able to continue to expect UK MOD work if Scotland votes Yes. And again tonight, their representative on Scotland Tonight was left flaffing around trying to suggest the same scenario, he even suggested that there might be a post Independent Scotland agreement to carry on with joint MOD procurement in the future!

Its been a good couple of weeks for the Coalition Government in Scotland media wise. Joined at the hip with Holyrood in a bid to support and underpin a survival package for Grangemouth, and now this strong commitment to award further Naval contracts to help secure the longer term future of the Clyde Docks.

Interesting, R4 saying that BAe would have closed Portśmouth and moved everything to the Clyde - but given the Indie vote Government says no......

This discussion has been closed.