Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of LE2019 Corbyn’s LAB appears as totally divided a

13»

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @OnlyLivingBoy said:
    > > @Roger said:
    > >
    > > I heard a labour MP Laura Pidcock being interviewed about the local elections.The letters 'T' and 'G' disappeared altogether. 'Voting' became 'vo-ing'. 'Important' became 'impor-ant' 'Party' became 'par-y' 'Suffering became 'sufferin'
    > >
    > > I like regional accents but this is just an affectation and an ugly one. Why would an MP want to appear to be stupid? Could it be she thinks it'll make her more approachable?
    > >
    > >
    > "I like regional accents" is the "some of my best friends are black" of the English class system. Personally, I always add about 10pts to somebody's IQ if they are in public life and don't speak the usual deathly dull RP, because I know they must have had to overcome a certain amount of snobbery and prejudice to get where they have.

I don't think it's a class thing at all. Being charitable it's could be she's just being lazy. Regional accents are about vowels. This was about losing consonants which is some people's way of sounding cool but MPs should know better
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    > @Roger said:
    > > @OnlyLivingBoy said:
    > > > @Roger said:
    > > >
    > > > I heard a labour MP Laura Pidcock being interviewed about the local elections.The letters 'T' and 'G' disappeared altogether. 'Voting' became 'vo-ing'. 'Important' became 'impor-ant' 'Party' became 'par-y' 'Suffering became 'sufferin'
    > > >
    > > > I like regional accents but this is just an affectation and an ugly one. Why would an MP want to appear to be stupid? Could it be she thinks it'll make her more approachable?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > "I like regional accents" is the "some of my best friends are black" of the English class system. Personally, I always add about 10pts to somebody's IQ if they are in public life and don't speak the usual deathly dull RP, because I know they must have had to overcome a certain amount of snobbery and prejudice to get where they have.
    >
    > I don't think it's a class thing at all. Being charitable it's could be she's just being lazy. Regional accents are about vowels. This was about losing consonants which is some people's way of sounding cool but MPs should know better

Expert on north east accents eh? I think not.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    edited May 2019
    Roger said:

> @OnlyLivingBoy said:

> > @Roger said:

> >

> > I heard a labour MP Laura Pidcock being interviewed about the local elections.The letters 'T' and 'G' disappeared altogether. 'Voting' became 'vo-ing'. 'Important' became 'impor-ant' 'Party' became 'par-y' 'Suffering became 'sufferin'

> >

> > I like regional accents but this is just an affectation and an ugly one. Why would an MP want to appear to be stupid? Could it be she thinks it'll make her more approachable?

> >

> >

> "I like regional accents" is the "some of my best friends are black" of the English class system. Personally, I always add about 10pts to somebody's IQ if they are in public life and don't speak the usual deathly dull RP, because I know they must have had to overcome a certain amount of snobbery and prejudice to get where they have.

I don't think it's a class thing at all. Being charitable it's could be she's just being lazy. Regional accents are about vowels. This was about losing consonants which is some people's way of sounding cool but MPs should know better

T-glottaling (as practiced by LP) is a pronounced and well documented feature of northern and eastern English accents. She does sound fucking thick though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I presume john didnt see the banners as per usual...

https://twitter.com/JBickertonUK/status/1123580005714415616?s=19
This discussion has been closed.