Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Observer reporting that CON MPs would block TMay’s plan to cal

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Foxy said:

Mail poll is Lab 41, Con 36, UKIP 7, LD 7, others 9. The others must include some TIGers and Greens who, like UKIP, are unlikely to stand everywhere, so it probably evens out. Boris well ahead on best next leader.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/mailonsunday/index.html

This is the version with chuk:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1112107512478736385
    That -11 figure for the Tories looks catastrophic whichever way you look at it.
    The weird thing about polling is that sometimes you're just sitting there staring at something and you can't understand why it's not moving to reflect what you're seeing, and it just keeps on and on not showing it, until suddenly one day it does.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    HYUFD said:

I know that the Brexistential Crisis is very serious, but to see the Tories on the brink of disintegration is very, very entertaining.

Shit on, you bunch of feckers.

Labour is no more united
    Yes they are. 170 of them are not no dealers for a start. Labour have some splits, but not so large.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

Foxy said:

Mail poll is Lab 41, Con 36, UKIP 7, LD 7, others 9. The others must include some TIGers and Greens who, like UKIP, are unlikely to stand everywhere, so it probably evens out. Boris well ahead on best next leader.

No it doesn’t. It looks like polling that had them on 43 last time was an error, so instead of fault lying with a political party it lies with the polling company.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That very much depends on the fate wot you wish on the Tories! I appreciate that you are one of the sane ones, but I would wet myself .laughing>
    I'm very much not a Tory myself, but my response is mainly astonishment that they've managed to screw things up this far ;.)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kjohnw said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Can anyone clarify is the permanent customs union being voted on “the” customs union or “a” customs union?

It's The Customs Union, but on terms which the EU would never accept.
    So why propose it?
    Because it's vague, and potentially gets the WA over the line.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    edited March 2019
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

I’m sorry? The Government would advise he Queen to veto a bill passed by the legislature? Seriously? What “abuse of constitutional procedures” could possibly warrant that? Does May really think that not getting her way is unconstitutional?
    Who is going to introduce the legislation?
    Any MP, or indeed peer, can introduce a bill into Parliament. It would be unusual for such important legislation to be introduced as a private members bill but hardly unconstitutional.
    Parliament taking control of the timetable to allow for the introduction of legislation (which is what would be needed) would be a constitutional disaster
    Don’t see it myself. Parliament has the power to control its own timetable. The fact the Government has controlled for so long it comes solely from the fact that the Government normally controls Parliament-it has clearly lost control however, thanks to the perfect storm of Brexit and the FTPA. A constitutional disaster would happen if Royal Assent was refused to a bill validly passed by both houses, not from a private member’s bill becoming law. Parliament is there to pass laws, the judiciary interprets them and the executive carries them out. If the executive stops the legislature passing laws then you have a crisis.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I’m sorry? The Government would advise he Queen to veto a bill passed by the legislature? Seriously? What “abuse of constitutional procedures” could possibly warrant that? Does May really think that not getting her way is unconstitutional?
    There is not the slightest chance of the Queen using a power last used by Queen Anne. The government has gone doolally if it imagines otherwise.
    If May cannot get her Brexit Deal through the Commons and the Commons votes for soft Brexit instead constitutionally I expect the Queen would have no choice but to tell Mrs May sorry, you clearly no longer have the confidence of Parliament and I will have to ask Mr Corbyn to see if he can form a government with the SNP, the DUP and the LDs which does have the confidence of Parliament and can implement the soft Brexit it has voted for if there is no majority for a general election either
    With respect that is utter rubbish. No confidence comes from the HOC, no one else

The Queen will only come into it when directed by her PM
    I am afraid it is not utter rubbish. The executive is Her Majesty's Government not a stand alone Government and sovereignty in our system is based on the Crown in Parliament, if the Crown's Government cannot get key legislation through Parliament then the Crown has no alternative but to try and change the executive as it frequently did in the 18th and 19th centuries, Queen Victoria and Queen Anne for example frequently disposed of PMs
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Foxy said:

The weird thing about polling is that sometimes you're just sitting there staring at something and you can't understand why it's not moving to reflect what you're seeing, and it just keeps on and on not showing it, until suddenly one day it does.
    often polling takes a week or so to reflect events. It could get worse for the blues...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yes, although frankly the figure is just returning to where I thought it should be already - I could not understand how a government in open crisis with resignation threats every day and people calling for the PM's head all the time could possible be leading or level pegging.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    HYUFD said:

I know that the Brexistential Crisis is very serious, but to see the Tories on the brink of disintegration is very, very entertaining.

Labour is no more united
    Brexit is a second-order issue for most of Labour. Our priority is getting rid of the Tories
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Yes they are. 170 of them are not no dealers for a start. Labour have some splits, but not so large.
    Most Labour MPs want EUref2 and ideally Remain, Corbyn does not.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Foxy said:

Indeed. This poll and all its sub-sets leaps to the eye after months of lack of movement in a number of areas that was hard to explain.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Who is going to introduce the legislation?
    Any MP, or indeed peer, can introduce a bill into Parliament. It would be unusual for such important legislation to be introduced as a private members bill but hardly unconstitutional.
    Parliament taking control of the timetable to allow for the introduction of legislation (which is what would be needed) would be a constitutional disaster
    Nah, it is our equivalent of the 25th ammendment, in use because May has lost her marbles.
    No she hasn’t. She’s right that there are only 3 options and everything else is fantasy. She’s just inflexible in her tactics
    May has been living in fantasy land since before Christmas. She is deranged.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Most Labour MPs want EUref2 and ideally Remain, Corbyn does not.
    The paucity of Labour rebels shows that you are wrong.
  • Options
    I should add Anthony Wells' standard warning about striking and unusual polls. If the parties are level-pegging, you should expect to see the occasional substantial lead either way.

This week's results are Tie, Tie, Con +3, Lab + 5.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Brexit is a second-order issue for most of Labour. Our priority is getting rid of the Tories
    It is not for most Labour seats which voted Leave or for most Labour voters who voted Remain, there lies the problem for any future Corbyn government. To be quite honest I am almost looking forward to Corbyn trying to govern given he has done nothing but put his self interest before the country's over the last few months the calamity that will be a Corbyn government will be something to witness
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    Adding the last three polls (YG, Opinium and Delta) into the EMA gives:

Con 35.9% Lab 34.3% Tories still ahead with diminishing lead.

Con 302
    Lab 262
    LD 24
    SNP 40
    PC 3
    Green 1
    NI 18

Tories 24 short of a majority.
    Minority Labour Government.
    Labour lose 4 to SNP, 2 to LD and gain 6 from Tories to end up even.
    Tories lose 16: 9 to LDs, 6 to Labour and 1 to SNP.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Is her party blocking a snap election because it would give no time to change leader? Or is it more that they think they would lose it regardless?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Can anyone clarify is the permanent customs union being voted on “the” customs union or “a” customs union?

It can not be The Customs Union because the EU treaties are clear that only EU members can be a member of "The".
    So what is being proposed is to allow third parties to have tariff free access to our markets but with us having no reciprocal rights , which makes the EU more competitive than us globally.great plan that, thick mp’s
    The EU can agree a bilateral where a country gets the same deal as "The" but it is called "A". i,e What Corbyn wants. The question is will they do it?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

DougSeal said:

There is not the slightest chance of the Queen using a power last used by Queen Anne. The government has gone doolally if it imagines otherwise.
    Quite. Even if we entirely agreed that a bill should be blocked, it would extend the crisis to threaten the monarchy as well.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    There is now a majority for Revoke, a larger majority for a Second Ref, and an even larger majority for Remain.

If Theresa really wants to save the Tory Party from either short term annihilation or long team death, she must swing toward the confirmatory referendum amendment.

No Deal, GE, and Customs Union all break her party.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    RIght now Brexit should be the priority. Getting rid of the Tories happens as a part of that. If nothing matters but getting the other side out that is just hyper partisan drivel, pure tribalist infantile behaviour, explicitly admitting it is not about policy or ideology but about wearing the wrong bloody emblem. How people can proudly admit to that sort of thing I do not know.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

DougSeal said:

Quite. Even if we entirely agreed that a bill should be blocked, it would extend the crisis to threaten the monarchy as well.
    I’m sure that what the nation needs at this time is a good old constitutional debate about the monarchy! That will bring us together.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Oh dear.

It turns out that when the Conservatives fail to deliver their signature policy, which uniquely was mandated by a referendum they called, their support haemorrhages.

Who could have predicted this?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    It is not for most Labour seats which voted Leave or for most Labour voters who voted Remain, there lies the problem for any future Corbyn government. To be quite honest I am almost looking forward to Corbyn trying to govern given he has done nothing but put his self interest before the country's over the last few months the calamity that will be a Corbyn government will be something to witness
    Are you able to provide any polling to back up that assertion?

Labour voters are more interested in health, education and jobs than the EU by a big margin.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Oh dear.

It turns out that when the Conservatives fail to deliver their signature policy, which uniquely was mandated by a referendum they called, their support haemorrhages.

Plainly not people like Mark Francois.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

It can not be The Customs Union because the EU treaties are clear that only EU members can be a member of "The".
    So what is being proposed is to allow third parties to have tariff free access to our markets but with us having no reciprocal rights , which makes the EU more competitive than us globally.great plan that, thick mp’s
    The EU can agree a bilateral where a country gets the same deal as "The" but it is called "A". i,e What Corbyn wants. The question is will they do it?
    Isn’t that a unicorn which is not going to happen as it gives us membership benefits without paying in?
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    I don't wish ill of anyone, and do not make light of discussing mental illness in a public figure, but I do wonder.
    Being Prime Minister at any time must be an extraordinarily difficult job, and in present circumstances,surrounded by "colleagues" who appear to be self-serving shits of the first order, must be an impossible one.
    Superimposed on that May is a type one diabetic, yet required to do long, relentless and irregular hours. I have also long suspected that she is autistic, as evidenced by her being a loner, inflexibility,and lack of humour, among other features. Such people deal with stress badly, and I do wonder whether she has finally gone over the top.
    Wilson was the last Prime Minister who went mad in office; Eden was a barbiturate addict, and Churchill had bouts of depression and problems with alcohol, so its not a scenario that is unknown
    But is May going to have to be taken away by the men in white coats?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Oh dear.

Even with Deltapoll the 36% the Tories got is the same Cameron got in 2010 and 2015, so hardly haemorrahaging but yes clearly down
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

‘a’ customs union is the removal of tariff barriers between members, together with acceptance of a common tariff against non-members. Countries that export to the customs union only need to make a single payment once the goods have passed through the border. Once inside goods can move freely without additional tariffs. Tariff revenue may then be shared between members, with the possibility that the country that collects the duty retaining a share, between 20 and 25% in “the” European customs union to cover the additional administration costs associated with border trade.

One of the strongest arguments for ‘the’ EU customs union over a simple free-trade agreement, is that it solves the problem of trade deflection. Trade deflection occurs when non-members ship goods to a low tariff FTA member (or set up a subsidiary in the low tariff country) and re-ship to a high tariff FTA member. Hence, without a unified external tariff, trade flows become one-sided and further action is taken to deal with that. For example, assuming Europe operated a simple FTA, rather than a customs union, and if Germany imposes a high 40% tariff on Japanese cars, while France imposes just a 10% tariff, Japan would export its cars to French car dealers, and then re-sell them to Germany on a free-trade basis. This trade deflection is avoided if Germany and France (and others) form a customs union.

So it’s an absolute kicker as bozzy Bear would say if you plan a real brexit with all the benefits. It’s not Liberterian, it would prevent you being a pirate, and you would never really be an island.
  • Options

it would extend the crisis to threaten the monarchy as well.

I have to admit Jeremy Corbyn's Brexit strategy is working better than I anticipated.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    RIght now Brexit should be the priority. Getting rid of the Tories happens as a part of that. If nothing matters but getting the other side out that is just hyper partisan drivel, pure tribalist infantile behaviour, explicitly admitting it is not about policy or ideology but about wearing the wrong bloody emblem. How people can proudly admit to that sort of thing I do not know.
    Of course getting rid of the Tories is about policy and ideology. Firstly, to stop them enacting their damaging ideologically-motivated policies and then with them out we are in, and we can start to build a better society.

Night all.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Labour has been much more united in its opposition to May's deal than was expected. IIRC the number of rebels has not reached double figures in any of the votes so far.

The government has led us into such an appalling mess that I think even moderate Labour supporters have swung behind Corbyn - he could not possibly be worse and, hemmed in by a PLP with a moderate majority, he could well surprise on the upside.
  • Options

There is now a majority for Revoke, a larger majority for a Second Ref, and an even larger majority for Remain.

If Theresa really wants to save the Tory Party from either short term annihilation or long team death, she must swing toward the confirmatory referendum amendment.

Rubbish, there is a 1% majority for Revoke which shows nothing more than the country is split down the middle, not a huge swing to Remain and as the vast majority of Tories would be in the not revoke and anti EUref2 camp doing either would break her party and lead to a surge of Tory Leavers to Farage's new Brexit Party or UKIP
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Isn’t that a unicorn which is not going to happen as it gives us membership benefits without paying in?
    Well the EU takes 80% of the tariffs levied in The CU. Will they do it, no chance in my opinion, but what is that worth.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Are you able to provide any polling to back up that assertion?

Labour voters are more interested in health, education and jobs than the EU by a big margin.
    So what, Labour Leave seats also contain Tory and UKIP voters as do Labour and Tory Leave voting marginals and if they turn off Leave voting swing voters those Leave voting marginal seats are then open to the Tories.

Most Labour voters are also interested in the EU but reversing Brexit not preserving it, therein lies the problem for Labour candidates in Leave voting marginals which want to preserve Brexit
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Are you talking about in Parliament or in the country? I probably missed the polls describing that if it is the latter.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    FTPA. What a disaster that has been. Nice one Osborne.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

I don't wish ill of anyone, and do not make light of discussing mental illness in a public figure, but I do wonder.
    Being Prime Minister at any time must be an extraordinarily difficult job, and in present circumstances,surrounded by "colleagues" who appear to be self-serving shits of the first order, must be an impossible one.
    Superimposed on that May is a type one diabetic, yet required to do long, relentless and irregular hours. I have also long suspected that she is autistic, as evidenced by her being a loner, inflexibility,and lack of humour, among other features. Such people deal with stress badly, and I do wonder whether she has finally gone over the top.
    Wilson was the last Prime Minister who went mad in office; Eden was a barbiturate addict, and Churchill had bouts of depression and problems with alcohol, so its not a scenario that is unknown

What a charming comment.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Labour has been much more united in its opposition to May's deal than was expected. IIRC the number of rebels has not reached double figures in any of the votes so far.

The government has led us into such an appalling mess that I think even moderate Labour supporters have swung behind Corbyn - he could not possibly be worse and, hemmed in by a PLP with a moderate majority, he could well surprise on the upside.
    Why do you think the PLP will be anything other than spineless followers? Evidence to the contrary is thin.
  • Options

I think the way you get your Referendum is via a General Election. Labour would offer it and win.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Of course it's a unicorn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    RobD said:

Are you talking about in Parliament or in the country? I probably missed the polls describing that if it is the latter.
    There's been a poll today.
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1112116959599099904
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    There are some reports that IDS is considering another leadership challenge. Don't underestimate the Quiet Man.
  • Options

RobD said:

Thanks! Just catching up you see...
  • Options

FTPA. What a disaster that has been. Nice one Osborne.

Clegg's baby.

Ironically he wanted it because he feared the Tory right might dump Cameron mid Parliament and call a snap election, thus shafting the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited March 2019
    CU breaks Brexit.
    No Brexiter should sign up to a Deal that surrenders tariff control to the EU, prevents third party trade deals, and requires paying the EU in the bargain.

No, it’s totally batshit.

The only option is May’s Deal, and if they cannot pass (and we’ve had three goes) then a majority exists in the House - and apparently in the country - for a confirmatory referendum on it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

There are some reports that IDS is considering another leadership challenge. Don't underestimate the Quiet Man.

I remember the last time he was leader:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jul/10/uk.eu

Iain Duncan Smith will today attack the "Labour lie" that the Tories want to withdraw from the European Union.

"The Conservative party does not want Britain to leave the EU," Mr Duncan Smith will say. "Anyone who says differently is telling a lie."
  • Options
    edited March 2019

AndyJS said:

I remember the last time he was leader:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jul/10/uk.eu

Iain Duncan Smith will today attack the "Labour lie" that the Tories want to withdraw from the European Union.

"The Conservative party does not want Britain to leave the EU," Mr Duncan Smith will say. "Anyone who says differently is telling a lie."
    Ahahahahaha.

At last some comic relief to compensate for the past week.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

I don’t like this post. It’s all snide conjecture just like all those bits in the mail about supposed wars between in-laws in royal family. You are making pretty wild assumptions without access to any real facts about the patient. An equal fact to anything you have offered is she chose to be up late the other Saturday night playing pool with flirtatious latins.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    May will never enact a second referendum or revoke. She will need to be VONC’ed.

Even if Brexit is defeated, it is vital for the future of the Tory Party, and the centre-right more broadly, that it is not an accessory. If May is the PM when we have a second vote or revoke, the party will split irretrievably, and Corbyn will win a handsome majority. This would not be in the national interest.

Are Grieve and his acolytes ready to put Corbyn in Downing Street as the price to stop Brexit? That is the question. It has been for the last 2 years.
  • Options
    matt said:

Why do you think the PLP will be anything other than spineless followers? Evidence to the contrary is thin.

When does an MP following the party line become a 'spineless follower'?

When you disagree with it?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RoyalBlue said:

May will never enact a second referendum or revoke. She will need to be VONC’ed.

Even if Brexit is defeated, it is vital for the future of the Tory Party, and the centre-right more broadly, that it is not an accessory. If May is the PM when we have a second vote or revoke, the party will split irretrievably, and Corbyn will win a handsome majority. This would not be in the national interest.

Are Grieve and his acolytes ready to put Corbyn in Downing Street as the price to stop Brexit? That is the question. It has been for the last 2 years.

Agreed - if the tories somehow contrive to block Brexit they will be monstered.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

CU breaks Brexit.
    No Brexiter should sign up to a Deal that surrenders tariff control to the EU, prevents third party trade deals, and requires paying the EU in the bargain.

The only option is May’s Deal, and if they cannot pass (and we’ve had three goes) then a majority exists in the House - and apparently in the country - for a confirmatory referendum on it.

I'm not sure it does. Only 8 Conservatives support a second referendum, and the answer to polling on a second referendum depends entirely on how the question is phrased.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Your ire should really be aimed at the ERG holdouts who are much more numerous than Grieve.

They've ensured a Corbyn premiership (via No Deal.)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is this a joke?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Indeed, the Tories won the 2002 and 2003 local elections under IDS and IDS got several poll leads over Blair's Labour in 2003 before he was ousted
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rubbish, there is a 1% majority for Revoke which shows nothing more than the country is split down the middle, not a huge swing to Remain and as the vast majority of Tories would be in the not revoke and anti EUref2 camp doing either would break her party and lead to a surge of Tory Leavers to Farage's new Brexit Party or UKIP
    This really is not rocket science is it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Thanks! Just catching up you see...
    How was it put?

[Victoria Wood voice] regardless how you voted, are you just sick to the back teeth with it like me and just wish someone would just hit a revoke button and be done with?
  • Options
    Floater said:

RoyalBlue said:

What if they call the referendum and win it?
  • Options
    dots said:

franklyn said:

I don’t like this post. It’s all snide conjecture just like all those bits in the mail about supposed wars between in-laws in royal family. You are making pretty wild assumptions without access to any real facts about the patient. An equal fact to anything you have offered is she chose to be up late the other Saturday night playing pool with flirtatious latins.
    Also, what is this about Wilson "going mad in office"? Link please.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I remember IDS's brilliantly awful conference speech..

"The Quiet Man.... is TURNING UP THE VOLUME ! "

Followed by a standing ovation of Tories trying not to laugh, later followed up by interviews to the media saying "He's done as much as he can, and the party appreciates that."
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Your ire should really be aimed at the ERG holdouts who are much more numerous than Grieve.

If May could have signed the Deal herself without Parliamentary ratification, we would not be in this mess. Grieve has acted with intent; what remains of the ERG merely demonstrates that it is possible to serve as an MP after one’s lobotomy.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

More likely, they've ensured Corbyn and no Brexit.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Labour is no more united
    Of course getting rid of the Tories is about policy and ideology. Firstly, to stop them enacting their damaging ideologically-motivated policies and then with them out we are in, and we can start to build a better society.

Night all.
    You meant you could impose your damaging ideologically driven policies.

Which will hurt the country far more than even a no deal Brexit.

Plus I have a feeling it will be easier to rejoin the EU than prise the marxists away from power.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    Would the armed forces allow a self-confessed Marxist leadership to enter government?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/05/how-john-mcdonnell-leading-surprise-rebirth-british-marxism
  • Options

Floater said:

RoyalBlue said:

A risk they would want to take? I think not
  • Options
    edited March 2019

AndyJS said:

Is this a joke?
    When he turned up on the drive in that car with his headgear on I thought, I have seen this before

It’s Toad of Toad Hall. 😆

That’s a joke.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

CU breaks Brexit.

I'm not sure it does. Only 8 Conservatives support a second referendum, and the answer to polling on a second referendum depends entirely on how the question is phrased.
    Another 50 Conservatives didn't vote against it. They are in the DK column. Many of them could come across to PV for Mrs May's deal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

170 Tory MPs are in favour of No Deal, it's going to happen.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

How without ignoring parliament on Monday?
  • Options
    The morning thread includes a discussion about the merits of the AV system.

Don't say I don't spoil you all.
  • Options

Floater said:

RoyalBlue said:

Ironically the landscape is now favourable for Cameron's original plan of using a referendum to settle the civil war in the Tory party to work.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

It isn't, on Monday the Commons will likely vote for CU BINO
  • Options

Floater said:

RoyalBlue said:

That would be an option if, say, you could get 200 Tory MP's to back it. But you can't. Try whipping it, and you get maybe 40-50 in favour.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    AndyJS said:

Would the armed forces allow a self-confessed Marxist leadership to enter government?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/05/how-john-mcdonnell-leading-surprise-rebirth-british-marxism

Probably with great reluctance, but remember some army officers even plotted against Wilson who looks like Thatcher in comparison to Corbyn. Perhaps we will get our first General as dictator of the UK since Cromwell after a few years of Corbyn and take a leaf out of Egypt's book?
  • Options
    RobD said:

What a charming comment.

And a little odd. I do not see any 'madness' in TM repeatedly attempting to get the WA ratified. She knows, as I do, as we all should since it is obvious, that unless and until the HoC can agree a feasible alternative, which they will almost certainly fail to do, it is the only way we can leave the EU in an orderly fashion. She would be acting highly irresponsibly if she did not do everything in her power to keep the option alive. She is behaving rationally. She is the Absolute Girl in this regard.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

May is not going to enact something against the manifesto in which she was elected.

She will go down fighting to deliver the referendum mandate. Corbyn will make us look back to her time in government with nostalgia.
  • Options

The morning thread includes a discussion about the merits of the AV system.

Don't say I don't spoil you all.

:o
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

CU breaks Brexit.

Another 50 Conservatives didn't vote against it. They are in the DK column. Many of them could come across to PV for Mrs May's deal.
    They are mostly senior ministers, who are also opposed. Even if May said okay to a second referendum, she'd have to allow a free vote.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes, we're a democracy.

Plus Corbyn should make appoint lawyers from Leigh Day to become Attorney General and Defence Secretary to keep the armed forces in check.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:
    Also the Shadow home secretary once said

“We are not interested in reforming … the police, armed services, judiciary and monarchy. We are about dismantling them and replacing them with our own machinery of class rule.”
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

CU breaks Brexit.

They are mostly senior ministers, who are also opposed. Even if May said okay to a second referendum, she'd have to allow a free vote.
    That's true.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

May is not going to enact something against the manifesto in which she was elected.

She will go down fighting to deliver the referendum mandate. Corbyn will make us look back to her time in government with nostalgia.
    Which again leads to the problem the executive cannot ignore what the Commons has voted for on Brexit without a constitutional crisis which likely leads to a change of government
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    <<We are not interested in reforming … the police, armed services, judiciary and monarchy. We are about dismantling them and replacing them with our own machinery of class rule.>>

Some of these quotes are from rather a long time ago.

Peter Mandelson was also once in the Communist party, for instance.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

AndyJS said:

Yes, we're a democracy.

Plus Corbyn should make appoint lawyers from Leigh Day to become Attorney General and Defence Secretary to keep the armed forces in check.
    Not always, as Oliver Cromwell proved, when Parliament displeased him he just marched in with some soldiers and removed most of them, at the end of the day if the army has no confidence in the government a coup is possible in any country no matter how democratic it would seem to be
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    kinabalu said:

matt said:

When does an MP following the party line become a 'spineless follower'?

When you disagree with it?
    When they are described in the following terms: “[Corbyn]...hemmed in by a PLP with a moderate majority..”.

The suggestion, by I believe, a Labour supporter, is that the leadership and PLP lines will be at odds with each other.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That would be an option if, say, you could get 200 Tory MP's to back it. But you can't. Try whipping it, and you get maybe 40-50 in favour.

The bottom line is that CU plus REF2 is Labour policy and therefore will come to pass only with a Labour government and Corbyn as PM.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

dots said:

franklyn said:

Also, what is this about Wilson "going mad in office"? Link please.
    It has been suggested that Wilson realised that he was developing dementia before he resigned (his father also had early onset dementia). However this did not manifest itself in the kind of refusal to accept reality and delusional bunker mentality which seems to be afflicting May. On the contrary, he realised the game was up and decided to quit while he was ahead.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Eagles

A gnu ridden by PM Ken Clarke is the way forward.

Only in the porn parody “hard brex tits” currently being filmed.

The C of Ex supplies the money shot.

It’s nearly 1 Sunday new time, I’m closing my eyes
  • Options
    The weird thing is that most MP's, other than hard core Brexiteers, the DUP, and hardcore Remainers, find the WA largely unobjectionable.
  • Options
    IDS wants a job, not to be actual leader.

God help us all.
  • Options

IDS wants a job, not to be actual leader.

God help us all.

IDS served in the armed forces if we are talking about military coups
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yes, we're a democracy.

Maybe someone other than Leigh Day. One barrister described Martin Day as the only man who could make Trafigura look good by comparison.
  • Options
    matt said:

When they are described in the following terms: “[Corbyn]...hemmed in by a PLP with a moderate majority..”.

The suggestion, by I believe, a Labour supporter, is that the leadership and PLP lines will be at odds with each other.

Yes, I get the context. Moderate Labour supporter postulates that Corbyn will not be able to do anything radical because his MPs will stop him.

To which you object with "Wouldn't count on it. The evidence is they are spineless followers."

To which I asked (rather snidely and pointedly) "When does following the party line make an MP a spineless follower? Is it when you (Matt) disagree with the party line?"

To which I'm not sure you have really responded.

But anyway, no harm done. It's late.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    AndyJS said:

I do think that sounds good. Even better than May staying on.

Really Labour's sleeper agents in the Conservative Party are doing a fantastic job, aren't they?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

What a charming comment.

And a little odd. I do not see any 'madness' in TM repeatedly attempting to get the WA ratified. She knows, as I do, as we all should since it is obvious, that unless and until the HoC can agree a feasible alternative, which they will almost certainly fail to do, it is the only way we can leave the EU in an orderly fashion. She would be acting highly irresponsibly if she did not do everything in her power to keep the option alive. She is behaving rationally. She is the Absolute Girl in this regard.
    I think May’s position is perfectly sane politics. The moment Team May admits they’re whipping a horse so dead it’s a glue stick an alliance on it falls apart, brexiteers start pushing managed no deal cabinet remainers for Deal plus CU for example and all hell breaks loose. Hence May doesn’t give up on it. people question her sanity without realising the real madness the moment she admits defeat.

Am I right, or am I right?
  • Options
    Jeez, these Cultist are conspiracy mad:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1112138686118936578

• Options
    dots said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

What a charming comment.

I think May’s position is perfectly sane politics. The moment Team May admits they’re whipping a horse so dead it’s a glue stick an alliance on it falls apart, brexiteers start pushing managed no deal cabinet remainers for Deal plus CU for example and all hell breaks loose. Hence May doesn’t give up on it. people question her sanity without realising the real madness the moment she admits defeat.

Am I right, or am I right?
    May is more level-headed than the majority of MP's, but that does not set the bar high.
This discussion has been closed.