Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the electoral bias against the Conservatives could be e

13»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Which E/W and which to win... ?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Manchester will become the second city under HS2 - a far more diverse, interesting and important city than Birmingham, and about the same size, in metropolitan area terms.

Are you suggesting Manchester will be demoted from its current first city status?
  • Options
    Another reason why you should never

1) go to Luton

2) Fly with with easjet

Snakes on a Plane – on an easyJet flight to Luton

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10416869/Snakes-on-a-Plane-on-an-easyJet-flight-to-Luton.html
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    zerohedge ‏@zerohedge 3m
    Dismal Abenomics Leads To 16th Consecutive Decline In Japanese Wages http://tinyurl.com/qdhqend

Hows that Abenomics working out for Japan?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

You seem to be going back in time a bit there. German exports are benefiting from the weak Euro, one reason why they may not want the Mark back. I'm not defending British industry circa 1960-70s but the overvalued pound up to 2008 caused by debt and financial chicanery centred in London damaged our traded goods sector. So after the second biggest devaluation in our history exports haven't recovered. Why? Because so much of our exporting capacity in the regions has been permanently lost. Of course industries can always be more competitive but it's a bit silly for government's to throw away their manufacturing capacity because of a London bubble.

The solution is for London and environs to have its own currency, while the rest of the UK joins the Euro.
    Indeed, as I have argued before, it would be to the benefit of London and the rest of England, if London and its hinterland - say the Thames River catchment area - were to become independent.

It would free London to make the most of its global advantages, and it would free the rest of England from moaning about London, and concentrate on what they can do for themselves.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2013

The NYT on Banksy's residence in New York:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/arts/design/banksy-makes-new-york-his-gallery-for-a-month.html

Banksy seemed to conduct a kind of social experiment, using the city as a rat maze into which he dropped different kinds of bait to see how New Yorkers would react. We saw paranoia, greed and competitiveness as well as camaraderie, flash-mob-like fun and sincere or cash-driven reverence. People who had barely heard of Banksy until one of his works turned up on their buildings were suddenly hiring guards or covering them with plexiglass or roll-down gates. Some graffiti pieces lasted less than two hours before they went the way of all graffiti, and much else, quickly sinking beneath the restless surface of the city.

Bansksy NY – Sirens of the lambs.

Awesome – But Social commentary or just clever animatronics? – certainly much more than just Graffiti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIz7mEJOeA
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,824
    "It’s a bad sign when a party has to insist that its position on a big policy is clear, but that’s what Labour has done this morning, with a statement from Shadow Transport Secretary Mary Creagh marking the start of the HS2 preparation bill report stage and third reading"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/labour-announces-its-message-on-hs2-is-clear-but-is-it/
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited October 2013

zerohedge ‏@zerohedge 3m
    Dismal Abenomics Leads To 16th Consecutive Decline In Japanese Wages http://tinyurl.com/qdhqend

Hows that Abenomics working out for Japan?

I'm reserving judgement on this one, but Zerohedge's point about the stock market having "flatlined for the last 3 months", although technically true, isn't a great summary of what Abenomics has done to share prices:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^n225+interactive#symbol=^n225;range=1y;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;
  • Options

Thank you, Pulpstar.

Here's what I have backed at Leafy Lingfield....all to small stakes.

1.20 High Master 12/1
    2.20 Horsted Keknes 11/10
    2.50 Indignant 5/1
    3.20 Tempus Fugit 8/1

All of these have a lot more chance than Michael Bloomberg!

Raceclear is on the 1:20 at Lingfield too - On "My Target @9-4" hopefully one or t'other will come in (I'm on both yours and his today...)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thank you, Pulpstar.

1.20 High Master 12/1
    2.50 Indignant 5/1
    3.20 Tempus Fugit 8/1

Raceclear is on the 1:20 at Lingfield too - On "My Target @9-4" hopefully one or t'other will come in (I'm on both yours and his today...)
    I agree My Target is the most likely winner, but at the odds High Master looks better value.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Is Brown going to resign or just wait until 2015?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24755543
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    One of the most popular stories on the BBC website today:

Gordon Brown: I'm an ex-politician

In his mind he has probably already stood down. When will he announce it?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

1) go to Luton

2) Fly with with easjet

Even more alarmingly the snakes got on the plane in Tel Aviv....if snakes can get on....what else?

• Options

You seem to be going back in time a bit there. German exports are benefiting from the weak Euro, one reason why they may not want the Mark back. I'm not defending British industry circa 1960-70s but the overvalued pound up to 2008 caused by debt and financial chicanery centred in London damaged our traded goods sector. So after the second biggest devaluation in our history exports haven't recovered. Why? Because so much of our exporting capacity in the regions has been permanently lost. Of course industries can always be more competitive but it's a bit silly for government's to throw away their manufacturing capacity because of a London bubble.

The solution is for London and environs to have its own currency, while the rest of the UK joins the Euro.
    Indeed, as I have argued before, it would be to the benefit of London and the rest of England, if London and its hinterland - say the Thames River catchment area - were to become independent.

It would free London to make the most of its global advantages, and it would free the rest of England from moaning about London, and concentrate on what they can do for themselves.
    Ever seen the film Passport to Pimlico?

Personally I think the Isle of Dogs should have declared independence long ago.
  • Options

1) go to Luton

2) Fly with with easjet

Even more alarmingly the snakes got on the plane in Tel Aviv....if snakes can get on....what else?

I'm sure it was a mistake, do you have anything to declare.

"Well I've got this foot long snake...."

I'm sure they've heard it all before
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Thank you, Pulpstar.

1.20 High Master 12/1
    2.50 Indignant 5/1
    3.20 Tempus Fugit 8/1

I agree My Target is the most likely winner, but at the odds High Master looks better value.
    :D Of course - Raceclear does this himself, backing a short price Fav and a long odds runner in the same race is no issue - Both can be +EV :O) one teeny tiny thing would help with your tips though could you put a E/W or W after them and also proportions, I've gone 0.5 pts E/W on all except Horsted Keynes (Who I remember beating a Raceclear selection a couple of months back) who is 1 Pt W. I know this isn't a tipping website/service but I'd be v v v grateful for proportions and W or E/W advice (Just advise what you do) ^^;
  • Options
    tim said:

This court case today involving Old Etonian Cameron is massive, historic.

Matt Nicholls ‏@mattnicholls
    I'm told counsel in the first case due to be covered by #camerasincourt today is Alex Cameron QC, aka older brother of PM David.

What's he charged with?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    O/T but a genuine question. All those on here who are so desperate for a Labour Government that they spend there entire time slagging off the coalition/tories, what are you hoping that a Labour Government will do for this country and what evidence is there to suggest that have carried out these policies before when in government and that they have benefited the country. Just "to keep the tories out"is a poor answer.

I am genuinely interested in what is going to be in Labour's manifesto. I will assume that it will all be about cost of living as I think that the economy will be tanking along in 2015 and they won't want to concentrate on their past record. What policies are they going to have, will it just be tax the rich more, increase benefits, other unaffordable promises, or will they go really mad and get into extending price controls/freezes to most day to day expenses such as rent and food?

• Options

I'm sure it was a mistake, do you have anything to declare.

"Well I've got this foot long snake...."

I'm sure they've heard it all before

On the subject of snakes, someone sent me this yesterday.

If only the Chinese were first on the earth, it would have been paradise.

They would have ignored the apple, and eaten the snake instead.
  • Options
    William Hill have a market up on whom will do the the Official England world cup song.

I think One Direction are right to be the early favourites.

But my eye is attracted to Duran Duran at 8/1

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/5111024/Top+Charting+England+World+Cup+Related+Song.html

An updated version of this would be fun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    currystar said:

O/T but a genuine question. All those on here who are so desperate for a Labour Government that they spend there entire time slagging off the coalition/tories, what are you hoping that a Labour Government will do for this country and what evidence is there to suggest that have carried out these policies before when in government and that they have benefited the country. Just "to keep the tories out"is a poor answer.

I am genuinely interested in what is going to be in Labour's manifesto. I will assume that it will all be about cost of living as I think that the economy will be tanking along in 2015 and they won't want to concentrate on their past record. What policies are they going to have, will it just be tax the rich more, increase benefits, other unaffordable promises, or will they go really mad and get into extending price controls/freezes to most day to day expenses such as rent and food?

I couldn't give a monkeys I just want whichever Gov't gives me most profit come election night. Currently thats Labour Minority... a continuation of the coalition also would be good.
  • Options
    Join in the Gordon can go now rhyme.

You can go by car, you can go by cow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1E3OFbCpqE
  • Options
    A betting post that involves Duran Duran, a PB First?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2013
    dr_spyn said:

Is Brown going to resign or just wait until 2015?

Look at his attendance record since the GE. Another year won't make much difference. He'll wait, and carry on claiming his 'bonus' for pretending to be an MP.

• Options
    Millsy said:

Surprised that he has voted in 13.3% of divisions. Going by the comments on here I would have put the figure at 3.3% at most.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,377
    edited October 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

today...)

:D Of course - Raceclear does this himself, backing a short price Fav and a long odds runner in the same race is no issue - Both can be +EV :O) one teeny tiny thing would help with your tips though could you put a E/W or W after them and also proportions, I've gone 0.5 pts E/W on all except Horsted Keynes (Who I remember beating a Raceclear selection a couple of months back) who is 1 Pt W. I know this isn't a tipping website/service but I'd be v v v grateful for proportions and W or E/W advice (Just advise what you do) ^^;
    Sometimes I have done in the past, but it's a tricky business, so these days I generally leave it up to the reader.

Some very serious professional punters of my acquaintance NEVER back each way. Yes, they say, it hurts when a 50/1 shot gets beat by a nose but in the long run, it pays, because you afford to have more to win. They are right, in theory, but in practice I like the safety net.

The price of course is a factor, so obviously H Keynes is a win bet; the others I did ew. The number of runners is also occasionally a factor, but there again it's best if people use their own judgement.

I operate a strict staking plan with what I call serious bets. This would be £50 per point, up to a max of 8 points. I maybe have about seven or eight serious bets a week, the rest are just mild preferences. I have a lot of these to smaller stakes (usually about £40 per bet) depending on odds and how I feel about the bet generally. They are a lot more intuitive, with no hard and fast rules. All today's suggestions fall into this category.

If I put up here one of my serious bets, I usually say something to the effect I fancy it strongly. If I say 'small stakes', like I did today, it's one of the intuitive fancies. It would make no sense for me to stipulate 'points', because unless you know and understand my staking system it would be meaningless. I try to guide with words. Think that's all I can do.

I will however in future always state whether I personally have gone ew. It doesn't of course imply others have to follow suit.

OK?

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Sometimes it's hard not to disagree - many people seem to be entirely ungrateful for the economic and cultural jewel in the crown they have on their doorstep
  • Options
    So Roger posts that Hon Hon Hunt does ok on Newsnight, then guido posts a thick of it mickey take of just how well he did....

Surely the 2 aren't correlated?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Plato

Tristram Twit makes Stephen Twigg look like a statesman.
  • Options
    @Plato -

The Hon Hunt apparently has a high opinion of himself, something Gove (no slouch in that department either) had fun with yesterday:

"The policy of the Labour party in the past prevented many intellectually gifted educators from helping children in need because those people were imprisoned in ivory towers. Take a chap I know called Tristram. Tristram was an Oxbridge man; he had a top degree; he was universally lauded by everyone in his field. He was a celebrated media figure. [Interruption.] No, I am not talking about the hon. Gentleman. I am talking about Tristram Jones-Parry. I know the hon. Gentleman thinks it is all about him, but this is not about him. It is about the children who will be denied the chance to get a fantastic education because Tristram Jones-Parry, who has a Cambridge degree in mathematics, was barred from teaching in state schools under Labour and is able to teach in state schools under our policy."
  • Options
    Saw this in a Telegraph comment thread - thought tim would enjoy:

"Dave has a problem with the countryside."

Dave also has a problem with; women, working mums, stay at home mums, ethnic minorities, the student vote, the disabled, gays, the working classes, the poor, people on welfare, pensioners, tax payers, the BBC, immigrants, EUrosceptics, EUrophiles, Christians, a sizeable portion of the public sector, the armed forces, the police, the unions, teachers, the NHS, many of his own backbenchers, urban yoof, a significant chunk of the Lords, pretty much the entire population of Scotland, the 35% who will always vote Labour, the psychotics who will always vote Lib Dem and the 3 million who voted for Major but wont vote for him.
  • Options
    Saw this from the Met Office on the St Jude's storm. There was some discussion on here about how it ranked compared to other storms, and the Met Office take is:

"Monday’s storm was within the top 10 most powerful autumn storms in southern England in the past 40 years."

So, roughly speaking, the sort of thing you would expect to see once every four years. Notable, certainly, but not exceptional.
  • Options
    tim said:

Millsy said:

Surprised that he has voted in 13.3% of divisions. Going by the comments on here I would have put the figure at 3.3% at most.
    John Major managed 20% voting attendance, the PB Tories hardly mention that, their Brown obsession is a little removed from reality.

They were desperate to get rid of him, then when they did, obsessed about his absence!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

today...)

Sometimes I have done in the past, but it's a tricky business, so these days I generally leave it up to the reader.

Some very serious professional punters of my acquaintance NEVER back each way. Yes, they say, it hurts when a 50/1 shot gets beat by a nose but in the long run, it pays, because you afford to have more to win. They are right, in theory, but in practice I like the safety net.

The price of course is a factor, so obviously H Keynes is a win bet; the others I did ew. The number of runners is also occasionally a factor, but there again it's best if people use their own judgement.

I operate a strict staking plan with what I call serious bets. This would be £50 per point, up to a max of 8 points. I maybe have about seven or eight serious bets a week, the rest are just mild preferences. I have a lot of these to smaller stakes (usually about £40 per bet) depending on odds and how I feel about the bet generally. They are a lot more intuitive, with no hard and fast rules. All today's suggestions fall into this category.

If I put up here one of my serious bets, I usually say something to the effect I fancy it strongly. If I say 'small stakes', like I did today, it's one of the intuitive fancies. It would make no sense for me to stipulate 'points', because unless you know and understand my staking system it would be meaningless. I try to guide with words. Think that's all I can do.

I will however in future always state whether I personally have gone ew. It doesn't of course imply others have to follow suit.

OK?

Thats brill, thanks :)
  • Options
    FPT

@Carlotta – “The headmaster of the Brighton School on Newsnight last night had a bigger point - the lack of "qualified" Maths & Physics teachers who don't have the relevant degree.....”

Dumbfounded – As Paxman alluded to, a physics/math teacher with a degree in the subject and twenty years’ experience teaching is deemed unqualified for lack of a PGCE – but a physics teacher in a bog standard, without even a GCSE in the subject is qualified by virtue of a certificate. – Quite barmy imho.
  • Options
    Bloody Rule 4 !
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Bobajob said:

tim said:

Millsy said:

John Major managed 20% voting attendance, the PB Tories hardly mention that, their Brown obsession is a little removed from reality.

They were desperate to get rid of him, then when they did, obsessed about his absence!
    One is a current event, and the other is 20 years old. Which one do you think is going to attract attention?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tim said:

Bobajob said:

tim said:

Millsy said:

They're the same with me.
    PB Tory leverage team in action...
  • Options
    Newark Conservative shortlist

Ed Argar (Oxford East 2010 candidate)
    Nigel Huddlestone (Luton South 2010)
    Robert Jenrick (Newcastle Under Lyme 2010)
    David Lloyd (local Cllr)

85 applications received. Selection meeting tomorrow

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Sorry if I came across as confrontational PtP - that wasn't my intention at all. "Small stakes" obviously means well 'small' - I might take your 'small stakes' down to be 0.25 pts in the system I use, 0.5 -> 1 pt, £10/bet - Max of 2 pts total on any race. Small stakes means obviously small. It was the W or E/W where I really fel I have no clue. I read that actually it is only worth backing E/W normally in the 4-1 -> 8-1 second favourites range and not really for favourites or big outsiders, and of course you don't need to be followed religiously - we're all grown ups here and can make our own decisions ;)

Edit: Don't want to worry you about Horsted Keynes, but "Getyourtipsout" who is probably the worst tipster on Twitter has backed it D:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Population of UK:

1974: 56,229,000
    1975: 56,230,000
    1976: 56,220,000
    1977: 56,203,000
    1978: 56,183,000
    1979: 56,209,000
    1980: 56,284,000
    1981: 56,343,000
    1982: 56,324,000
    1983: 56,301,000
    1984: 56,362,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#Vital_statistics_1960_-_2012
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited October 2013
    john_zims said:

@Plato

More insightful political analysis!

I can the Tories are getting worried about Tristram

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,107

FPT

@Carlotta – “The headmaster of the Brighton School on Newsnight last night had a bigger point - the lack of "qualified" Maths & Physics teachers who don't have the relevant degree.....”

Dumbfounded – As Paxman alluded to, a physics/math teacher with a degree in the subject and twenty years’ experience teaching is deemed unqualified for lack of a PGCE – but a physics teacher in a bog standard, without even a GCSE in the subject is qualified by virtue of a certificate. – Quite barmy imho.

I'd prefer a full-time permanent teacher to have a degree in the subject her or she is teaching plus some indication that they knew how to teach. Like a PGCE. While it's probably possible to become a good teacher with practice alone, it's somewhat hard on the classes such a person "teaches" for the first few years!
    Bringing an expert in to add something to, for example, creative writing or design and technology is an entirely different matter.
  • Options
    tim said:

I'm told counsel in the first case due to be covered by #camerasincourt today is Alex Cameron QC, aka older brother of PM David.

Does no-one in that family have a proper job?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    currystar said:

Your invitation is not enticingly phrased - "Will you continue beating your wife or go really mad and start dissecting her?" We have different starting points - I think the last Labour government was largely a success, eventually succumbing narrowly to the global recession, not a view that I think you'd subscribe to. But let's park debate about the past since you've asked about the future.

The easy answer is "wait for the manifesto" - Ed has a clear strategic timetable, and announcing a full programme 18 months ahead would be daft. So I can only answer in general terms which are vaguer than I'd like. FWIW, though:

I think that Labour will base government on responsible macroeconomics, which will disappoint both the ultra-Keynesians and the deficit hawks (who seem to be dying out in the Government anyway) - both supporters and opponents overestimate EdB's attachment to deficit spending. Apart from helping with the cost of living, the main positive focus will be the usual Labour job of rebuilding public services eroded by the Tories, specifically on stopping the rot (waiting times and service privatisation) in the NHS, but also doing more in the "poor relation" areas of elderly care and mental health. I'd also expect, more nebulously, a greater sense of focus on social unity (one nation and all that) than Cameron and Clegg are managing - now the emphasis of deficit reduction has dissipated, I don't have any real sense that they're heading anywhere in particular.

There are a host of further policies that I'd personally like to see, but everyone will have their own wish-lists. The above are IMO likely to be the central themes - but of course note that I'm not a spokesman here for anyone except myself. As usual I expect the result will be less wonderful than Labour fans would like and less awful than people like yourself fear.
  • Options

David Lloyd (local Cllr)

Andrea beat me to it :-)

Shame that 3 of the 4 are parachutes rather than local.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Will a change to the voting system be in the Labour manifesto?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,377
    edited October 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Sorry if I came across as confrontational PtP - that wasn't my intention at all. "Small stakes" obviously means well 'small' - I might take your 'small stakes' down to be 0.25 pts in the system I use, 0.5 -> 1 pt, £10/bet - Max of 2 pts total on any race. Small stakes means obviously small. It was the W or E/W where I really fel I have no clue. I read that actually it is only worth backing E/W normally in the 4-1 -> 8-1 second favourites range and not really for favourites or big outsiders, and of course you don't need to be followed religiously - we're all grown ups here and can make our own decisions ;)

Edit: Don't want to worry you about Horsted Keynes, but "Getyourtipsout" who is probably the worst tipster on Twitter has backed it D:

Didn't think it was 'confrontational' at all, Pulpstar. I was glad of the opportunity to explain what I do and why I do it.

It is a tricky business, as I said, which is one reason why I have never been tempted to put up a regular tipping service here. I just put up the odd tip for fun, as and when the mood takes me. I would say though that if you back ALL my tips, you ought to win in the long run, because I do. But as we all know, the long run can be very long indeed!

I backed Horsted Keynes this morning at 5/4 because I was sure it would shorten. It's now evens and I would expect it to start at odds on. It might not win, but at odds against it was definitely value.

It is of course all about value. My best value bet of the day, which fell marginally short of being 'serious', was Chookie Royale in the 6.30 at Kempton. I got on at 15/2 this morning. It's now 7s, but there's still enough value in that I should say, if you are interested.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited October 2013

john_zims said:

@Plato

Indeed; deeply worried that Ed is going to demote him.

• Options

john_zims said:

@Plato

At least Chuka doesn't have to......

• Options

I think that Labour will base government on responsible macroeconomics,

I suppose there is a first time for everything but, given that both you and the two Eds still refuse to accept that Labour were, to a very large extent, responsible for the mess we found ourselves in post-2008, I am not holding out any great hope that a future Labour government will be any less disastrous when it comes to economics the the previous incarnations.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody Rule 4 !

1-0 to Raceclear, but plenty of time left for me to strike back!
  • Options
    tim said:

New YouGov Scotland poll out has a remarkable gender gap.

Men are 40/48 for/against, Women 25/56

Independence, or sex?

• Options
    @Peter_the_punter.

Respect.

LoL.
  • Options

FPT

I'd prefer a full-time permanent teacher to have a degree in the subject her or she is teaching plus some indication that they knew how to teach. Like a PGCE. While it's probably possible to become a good teacher with practice alone, it's somewhat hard on the classes such a person "teaches" for the first few years!
    Bringing an expert in to add something to, for example, creative writing or design and technology is an entirely different matter.
    I’d go along with a lot of what you say, - however I do not see a PGCE as some panacea for the lack of knowledge depth in a given subject, especially as such certification courses are regarded as patchy at best in there consistency.

Unfortunately the subject has become a political hot potato – and common sense is the first casualty in such events.
  • Options
    Argar is also on Tonbridge and Malling shortlist with selection scheduled one day after Newark

David Lloyd (local Cllr)

Andrea beat me to it :-)

Shame that 3 of the 4 are parachutes rather than local.
  • Options
    tim said:

First tweeted by Mickey Crick of course - who seems a bit class obsessed these days

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 2h
    So the first time TV cameras are in an English appeal court, and one of the QCs is the PM's brother, Alexander Cameron

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 27 Oct
    Amused to hear one of Samantha Cameron's relatives - the Sheffield family - mentioned on Downton tonight

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 27 Oct
    Everton are called The Toffees, but perhaps it should now be Aston Villa, now they have David Cameron + Princes William and George as fans

• Options
    tim said:

Tim, I await your link for leaders' net approval ratings for the whole of this parliament from their supporters and from general voters. Or do you withdraw your remark?

Here you go

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive.aspx

40 years of data, have fun
    You are a slippery creature. You made a claim about Miliband vs Cameron, using selective months and your own filtered data (as you know full well). This was already a side-track from the original point about Incumbency. And then, true to form, having deflected the issue you slip away without backing up your claim. In this instance you have simply slapped in a link to Ipsos-Mori which would require month by month trawling. In other words you twist and turn at every opportunity and then, when challenged, you wriggle out of it.

I'll say it again, I've never come across anyone so disliked on any forum anywhere. Which is saying something.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,165
    Several times in the past, I have commented on the lunacy of it taking between a month or two to swap energy suppliers.

It's good to see that the government have heeded my wise counsel, and are planning to reduce the time to one day:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24747183

I don't quite see how they'll manage the existing 'cooling off' period after a swap, although perhaps we don't really need to have one. Also, a guarantee that the price will remain the same for a set period from the start of the contract (say three months) might be nice, and a limit to the number of times you can swap in a year to keep costs down.

Now if only telecoms firm could be made to do the same ...
  • Options
    The other interesting factor in that Indy poll is how little the 'certainty of a Conservative Govt in 2015' does to the vote:

Yes: 41 (+3)
    No: 59 (-3)

That's almost all Labour - but it still leaves Labour 22:78 against......

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/fe04gq2w8w/YG-Archive-TimesResults-160913-Scotland-Survey.pdf
  • Options
    tim said:

Twitter explodes

Yes - Norwich and Scotland fans will be relieved that Snodgrass's injury is not as bad as first feared.
  • Options
    Horsted Keynes romps it - bravo PtP !

• Options

FPT

I’d go along with a lot of what you say, - however I do not see a PGCE as some panacea for the lack of knowledge depth in a given subject, especially as such certification courses are regarded as patchy at best in there consistency.

Unfortunately the subject has become a political hot potato – and common sense is the first casualty in such events.
    We have to recall that until about 30 or so years ago a significant proportion of teachers did a two-year teaching diploma without any degree. Indeed, post-war there was a one year course for ex-servicemen!
    However, I agree that the best programme is a degree plus a good PGCE course.

Incidentally, the first year after qualifying (Newly Qualified Teacher) can be tough, too. I've just watched my granddaughter go through the degree > PGCE > NQT process, and the last was the toughest.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Horsted Keynes romps it - bravo PtP !

Thanks, TGOHF, but I wasn't overly impressed.

He pulled away from the whip and carried his head awkwardly. Wouldn't fancy him against stronger opposition.

[For Tim's benefit, we are talking about a horse, not a Tory backbencher.]
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Dan Hodges tweets: Think we're about to see what premium Hacked Off and their supporters really place on personal privacy, when it relates to their opponents.

Patrick Wintour promptly obliges.
  • Options
    @OldKingCole. – A fascinating account of bygone days, then and now, much appreciated – may I also wish your grand-daughter every success in her chosen profession.
  • Options
    @Tim

:) very droll
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

FPT

We have to recall that until about 30 or so years ago a significant proportion of teachers did a two-year teaching diploma without any degree. Indeed, post-war there was a one year course for ex-servicemen!
    However, I agree that the best programme is a degree plus a good PGCE course.

Incidentally, the first year after qualifying (Newly Qualified Teacher) can be tough, too. I've just watched my granddaughter go through the degree > PGCE > NQT process, and the last was the toughest.

The problem is after that year it is virtually a job for life no matter how lazy or incompetent the teacher becomes. That is more an issue than the qualifications.

This discussion has been closed.