Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Summary : February 2019

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    justin124 said:

Freggles said:

Political science tends to agree that big events matter. When an issue is salient and a symbolically damaging event occurs that challenges the government’s competence they can lose their ownership of an issue. The Tories with economic competence after Black Friday is a good example.
    If there is a no deal outcome, something big and symbolic could sink the Tories remaining economic credibility.

I think sometimes, maybe once in a generation, an event runs counterintuitive to logic. The Falklands war was one of these events where you would think a Government that allows an invasion of part of its territory would get utterly annihilated, then add into the equation an economy rocked by a recession that made over 3 million unemployed. How did the Tories get away with it in the 1980s!

I am starting to think Brexit (I oppose and would rather stay in the EU), even a No Deal might be the same sort of event that uncouples the normal cycle of politics. When you add in the Labour split and FPTP a range of unlikely prospects beckon!
    But had the Falklands war become a much more extended conlict that dragged on into 1983 with mounting losses and casualty lists . Thatcher would almost certainly have paid a very heavy price.
    The Falklands War was a damn close run thing. Supply lines were almost at breaking point. If there had been battle hardened troops who dug in and fought then history could have been very different.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

stodge said:

I always remember in the 1980s it was received wisdom by political commentators that 3 million+ unemployed would mean the Tories would not win again. Then 1983 came along and the Tories got in again with an increased majority in a landslide, 3 million were still out of work and 1987 occurred with a landslide Tory majority (Not as great as 1983 but a pretty sound victory all the same). The thing about Brexit is the older age groups who tended to support Brexit also support the Tories, so even in a No Deal it is not a forgone conclusion that the Tories will suffer. I say this as someone who opposes Brexit.

I agree but I suppose it depends on who the No Deal fallout affects and its distribution over the UK as a whole. If for instance the worst economic blow hits Labour seats or industries in Labour inclined areas like in the 1980s, then the Tories might be relatively unscathed.

Older voters are less likely to work, so they are likely to stick with Brexit and the Tories unless the UK enters a depression. I suspect London, the Home Counties and the South East in general might feel little of the pain, which is good for Tory prospects.

I doubt even if things are bad Labour has the potential to pick up many seats outside London in the Tory shires. The LD or Tig might do better at picking up seats in usually reliable Tory areas but they are held back due to their ability to target more than a handful of seats at anyone time in a serious and sustainable way.
    I strongly suspect that the effect of the Falklands victory in 1982 was to bestow credibility on the entire range of Thatcher's policies for several years thereafter. Many who had been critical of her economic policies in 1980/1981 became much more inclined to give her the benefit of the doubts previously held , and it was this indirect spinoff which propelled her to the 1983 landslide win. Had it not been for the Falkands conflict the 3 million unemployed would likely have proved a much heavier burden for Thatcher in seeking a second term.
    I think the Tory press were likely to be the main reason for her Falklands success (In terms of the people back home being propelled into a nationalistic fervour). Looking back on it I am surprised the Argentine invasion was not a death knell to the Thatcher Government as it showed some serious ineptness. Defence was a big deal in 1983 in that Nuclear weapons were a major theme of that campaign.
    The military success effectively erased the concerns re-the original invasion. The recent Falklands conflict probably contributed to Defence being a prominent issue in 1983. It was a good deal less so in 1987.
  • Options

The political scandal engulfing the Canadian prime minister has outed him as not quite the hero we all believed he was

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/01/justin-trudeau-disgrace-unicorn-political-scandal-canadian

Guardian dumping their hero worship of Trudeau faster than their previous love-in of Julian wikileaks.

Who is this "all" you speak of?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

Freggles said:

Political science tends to agree that big events matter. When an issue is salient and a symbolically damaging event occurs that challenges the government’s competence they can lose their ownership of an issue. The Tories with economic competence after Black Friday is a good example.
    If there is a no deal outcome, something big and symbolic could sink the Tories remaining economic credibility.

I think sometimes, maybe once in a generation, an event runs counterintuitive to logic. The Falklands war was one of these events where you would think a Government that allows an invasion of part of its territory would get utterly annihilated, then add into the equation an economy rocked by a recession that made over 3 million unemployed. How did the Tories get away with it in the 1980s!

I am starting to think Brexit (I oppose and would rather stay in the EU), even a No Deal might be the same sort of event that uncouples the normal cycle of politics. When you add in the Labour split and FPTP a range of unlikely prospects beckon!
    But had the Falklands war become a much more extended conlict that dragged on into 1983 with mounting losses and casualty lists . Thatcher would almost certainly have paid a very heavy price.
    The Falklands War was a damn close run thing. Supply lines were almost at breaking point. If there had been battle hardened troops who dug in and fought then history could have been very different.
    Yes - and how would public opinion here have responded to casualties amounting to a couple of thousand - rather than two hundred and fifty.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The political scandal engulfing the Canadian prime minister has outed him as not quite the hero we all believed he was

That seems to have been the view held by non-Canadians, actual Canadians have been a bit more cynical than that right from the start.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I know you do not want it to go through but I am relaxed now no deal is going nowhere

You've been saying this for months as well as grasping every half-positive headline about May's Deal rather like a man in the water grasps for a lifebelt.

Nothing has changed since Christmas - either the Deal is ratified or we leave without a Deal. There's talk of an extension but it's hard to see your Party agreeing to 24 months of remaining in the EU hoping to come up with some words to satisfy Arlene Foster.

Parliament voting against No Deal is meaningless - if nothing has been agreed, it remains the default position as of four weeks tonight.

The question now is what May will do if her WA is voted down again on March 12th.
    You do seem to want to be argumentative and having a go when I only act as a messenger on the headline in a remain supporting paper

You seem to think the HOC is going to allow no deal.

TM had said it would only be a short extension, the EU want it concluded by June, and I do not support anything like two years

My best guess is TM deal passes and tbe EU grants a short extension but other opinions are available
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Just wondering:
    Might there be an Aesop fable, or similar, of someone being saved from a bind by the very incompetence that got him into it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    stodge said:

I know you do not want it to go through but I am relaxed now no deal is going nowhere

You've been saying this for months as well as grasping every half-positive headline about May's Deal rather like a man in the water grasps for a lifebelt.

Nothing has changed since Christmas - either the Deal is ratified or we leave without a Deal. There's talk of an extension but it's hard to see your Party agreeing to 24 months of remaining in the EU hoping to come up with some words to satisfy Arlene Foster.

Parliament voting against No Deal is meaningless - if nothing has been agreed, it remains the default position as of four weeks tonight.

The question now is what May will do if her WA is voted down again on March 12th.
    Her deal will be ratified but subject to a 2nd Referendum... which could go either way.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    stodge said:

What May will do if her WA is voted down again on March 12th?
    She has already said that Parliament will vote on no-deal (!) on the 13th. But, as you say, even if no-deal is rejected it hasn't then gone away. It's still the default on the 14th when there would be a vote for an extension of time under article 50.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    justin124 said:

There is no way the Falklands could have become an extended conflict as the British simply lacked the resources to make it one. We only just won it and that was by blind luck. Galahad, Bedivere and Tristam were all hit by bombs that failed to explode. If those six bombs had been correctly fused for low level deployment that would have been the end of the conflict. So it could have been a tragic loss with huge casualties by late May 82 but the task force was on its last legs by then so it could not have dragged on much longer.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Tomorrows Weekend I paper reporting Brexiteers softening their stance and the DUP seeking a compromise

TM deal slowly becoming a real possibilty of passing

How many times have we heard that one?
    Maybe but you do not want it hence your scepticism
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    kinabalu said:

Well, new favourite politician for me. It's been Michael Gove for some time but no longer. Been tracking a guy for a few months, a guy who's been growing on me, creeping up on the rails as it were, and he has now got there. He's number one. Good brain, heart of gold, always on the verge of exploding but somehow not quite doing so. Barry Gardiner. If he's on I drop everything.

He does have a history of being on the right side of the argument...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/2962377/Barry-Gardiner-latest-MP-to-be-sacked-for-plotting-against-Gordon-Brown.html
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    edited March 2019
    justin124 said:

Indeed - which was why it proved to be of great benefit to her. It was far from inevitable though - had a few more of the Argentinian shells actually exploded the military outcome might have been rather different.

Or if the Argentinians had waited a few months. Weren't they due a load of new exocerts? And the HMS Hermes would have been decommissioned by then?
  • Options

stodge said:

Her deal will be ratified but subject to a 2nd Referendum... which could go either way.
    Maybe but maybe not. There is not a majority for a referendum at present in the HOC
  • Options
    CatMan said:

justin124 said:

Indeed - which was why it proved to be of great benefit to her. It was far from inevitable though - had a few more of the Argentinian shells actually exploded the military outcome might have been rather different.

Or if the Argentinians had waited a few months. Weren't they due a load of new exocerts? And the HMS Hermes would have been out of action by then?
    There would have been no new Exocets for the forseeable future. MI6 and the Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure made sure of that.
  • Options
    Failing Grayling headlining the news at 10...

Is that really news ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Big support for Formby on twitter...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

CatMan said:

justin124 said:

Or if the Argentinians had waited a few months. Weren't they due a load of new exocerts? And the HMS Hermes would have been out of action by then?
    There would have been no new Exocets for the forseeable future. MI6 and the Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure made sure of that.
    The sinking of the Belgrano played a part
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    Dura_Ace said:

I mean if Argentina waited before starting the war. Presumably the sale would have gone through, why wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

He should resign
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

stodge said:

Maybe but maybe not. There is not a majority for a referendum at present in the HOC
    But if a referendum is the only way to get labour to abstain?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Looks like labour are in real trouble
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

CatMan said:

justin124 said:

And if the US had slow timed the requested Sidewinders ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

He should resign
    What odds on next out of the cabinet ?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

Chris Grayling should be the bigger man, hold his hands up and take responsibility for his actions.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited March 2019
    BBC having a lot of fun with Chris Grayling. My parents are actually laughing out loud at the coverage.
  • Options
    eek said:

stodge said:

But if a referendum is the only way to get labour to abstain?
    The only way TM deal passes is with a good number of labour mps from leave voting areas supporting it and others considering the other options are far worse
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

He should resign
    Grayling is the anti-Charlie falconer
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

Chris Grayling should be the bigger man, hold his hands up and take responsibility for his actions.
    I completely agree and save embarrassing his close friend, TM
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited March 2019

Pulpstar said:

I always tend toward thinking a lot less will happen than seems like it should happen, but I honestly don't see how a further internal confrontation can be avoided here. Whether he is or not Watson is perceived as trying to take down Corbyn by plenty of Labour backers, and I don't care how genial Corbyn is a political party leader has to do something if his deputy is coming after him, or a lot of people think he is, especially when there's also a row between him and the General Secretary of the party. The Tories are hardly a bastion of good discipline and internal governance, the ERG are practically their own party, but this Labour squabble surely cannot keep up like this?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I always tend toward thinking a lot less will happen that seems like it should happen, but I honestly don't see how a further internal confrontation can be avoided here. Whether he is or not Watson is perceived as trying to take down Corbyn by plenty of Labour backers, and I don't care how genial Corbyn is a political party leader has to do something if his deputy is coming after him, or a lot of people think he is, especially when there's also a row between him and the General Secretary of the party. The Tories are hardly a bastion of good discipline and internal governance, the ERG are practically their own party, but this Labour squabble surely cannot keep up like this?
    Very much agree
  • Options

Scrapheap - there's a good rail service from central Oxford to Paddington. There's also a fast bus service that zips along the M40 -> A40, that wouldn't be much slower than driving yourself.

Thank you - so maybe bus service is the way to go once I find the nearest stop to Oxford?
    The Chiltern line train goes to Marylebone: if you are really lucky you might even get one that stops at Wembley.
    Brilliant... Found one in the morning Cheers all.. Now to get the family day pass....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    geoffw said:

stodge said:

What May will do if her WA is voted down again on March 12th?
    She has already said that Parliament will vote on no-deal (!) on the 13th. But, as you say, even if no-deal is rejected it hasn't then gone away. It's still the default on the 14th when there would be a vote for an extension of time under article 50.
    Logically if Parliament votes to rule out no-deal, but won't agree to the deal, then the only course of action left is revoke.

It'd be interesting to work out what exactly has to be done for each of outcomes, and when they must be done by.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If we paid Grayling to sit in an office burning fivers, it would have cost the taxpayer less than making him Secretary of State for anything
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

If he quits who does she replace him with? She will end up recycling more ex-ministers who quit over Brexit! I think she is waiting for Brexit to be over and then she will fire those who prove not to be up to the job or she might even reshuffle herself but I doubt that is really a very likely prospect. PM's need to be prised out of power unless an election does not go their way!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

If he quits who does she replace him with? She will end up recycling more ex-ministers who quit over Brexit! I think she is waiting for Brexit to be over and then she will fire those who prove not to be up to the job or she might even reshuffle herself but I doubt that is really a very likely prospect. PM's need to be prised out of power unless an election does not go their way!
    Maybe but he is letting her down
  • Options

If he quits who does she replace him with?

Mr Blobby.

The cat.

A tub of Lard.

All improvements
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I don't think Trump will do very well in front of investigators, if it gets to a Clinton style of investigation. Clinton was brilliant at getting his way out of the Lewinsky investigation. The use of definitions ("Is" and "Sexual Relations") to get out of the crosshairs was masterful. I suspect if Trump was accused of having an affair he would just say "Yeah I fucked her!" I suspect Trump is so tarnished and the fact he does not care would make his investigation different to anything we have seen before.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

One of his departmental ministers... picked at random if need be.
    Couldn’t be worse.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

CatMan said:

justin124 said:

We would have probably used the R550 Magic which had already been integrated on to the Harrier for the Indian Navy and used the same rail as the AIM-9.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

Just promote Jesse Norman and the lower ministers up the chain then find some loyal backbencher (Hey there must be one left !) to fill up the bag carrier role.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

You do seem to want to be argumentative and having a go when I only act as a messenger on the headline in a remain supporting paper

TM had said it would only be a short extension, the EU want it concluded by June, and I do not support anything like two years

My best guess is TM deal passes and tbe EU grants a short extension but other opinions are available

Yes, I am angry and I've a right to be given the appalling shambles of a Government you support and the millions, if not tens of millions companies, councils and Government itself has been forced to spend in a panicked preparation for a No Deal.

Presumably IF the WDA passes the apologists will be on here hailing it as a political triumph and lauding May to the skies and telling us all what a great Prime Minister she is and how she should lead the Conservatives into the next GE.

Now, let's say it doesn't pass - we all know the line. It will be the fault of the Opposition, the ERG, the Martians, the DUP, anyone and everyone else. It won't be May's fault for putting us in the situation - it won't be the fault of her negotiating team for being so inept and it won't be the fault of her Government for failing to anticipate the possibility of no agreement and not planning accordingly.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

dr_spyn said:
    I always remember in the 1980s it was received wisdom by political commentators that 3 million+ unemployed would mean the Tories would not win again. Then 1983 came along and the Tories got in again with an increased majority in a landslide, 3 million were still out of work and 1987 occurred with a landslide Tory majority (Not as great as 1983 but a pretty sound victory all the same). The thing about Brexit is the older age groups who tended to support Brexit also support the Tories, so even in a No Deal it is not a forgone conclusion that the Tories will suffer. I say this as someone who opposes Brexit.
    In addition, people are very bad at predicting how they themselves will react to events.

Re the Falklands discussion, at the outset, public opinion was against suffering casualties. Once casualties began to be suffered, public opinion hardened in favour of the conflict.
  • Options

I don't think Trump will do very well in front of investigators, if it gets to a Clinton style of investigation. Clinton was brilliant at getting his way out of the Lewinsky investigation. The use of definitions ("Is" and "Sexual Relations") to get out of the crosshairs was masterful. I suspect if Trump was accused of having an affair he would just say "Yeah I fucked her!" I suspect Trump is so tarnished and the fact he does not care would make his investigation different to anything we have seen before.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1101547395458969605
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Scott_P said:

If we paid Grayling to sit in an office burning fivers, it would have cost the taxpayer less than making him Secretary of State for anything
    You remind me of Roy Massey, who once told me: 'If you want to waste money, dig a hole and throw five pound notes in it. But whatever you do, don't spend another penny on that organ.'

I don't know why I was thinking of useless organs in the context of Grayling.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, I am angry and I've a right to be given the appalling shambles of a Government you support and the millions, if not tens of millions companies, councils and Government itself has been forced to spend in a panicked preparation for a No Deal.

Presumably IF the WDA passes the apologists will be on here hailing it as a political triumph and lauding May to the skies and telling us all what a great Prime Minister she is and how she should lead the Conservatives into the next GE.

Now, let's say it doesn't pass - we all know the line. It will be the fault of the Opposition, the ERG, the Martians, the DUP, anyone and everyone else. It won't be May's fault for putting us in the situation - it won't be the fault of her negotiating team for being so inept and it won't be the fault of her Government for failing to anticipate the possibility of no agreement and not planning accordingly.
    I understand the anger on all sides but no one gets away blame free

Believe you me I am not a hard brexiteer and just want a deal to move on. TM deal is a fair compromise but if it falls then revoke or remain become more likely
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

Couldn’t be worse.
    Most teachers thought that of Gove when he replaced Balls.

Our sentiments did not age well.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

CatMan said:

justin124 said:

We would have probably used the R550 Magic which had already been integrated on to the Harrier for the Indian Navy and used the same rail as the AIM-9.
    Was that the MkI - and would it have sufficed (didn’t the Argentines have it) ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Dura_Ace said:

justin124 said:

There is no way the Falklands could have become an extended conflict as the British simply lacked the resources to make it one. We only just won it and that was by blind luck. Galahad, Bedivere and Tristam were all hit by bombs that failed to explode. If those six bombs had been correctly fused for low level deployment that would have been the end of the conflict. So it could have been a tragic loss with huge casualties by late May 82 but the task force was on its last legs by then so it could not have dragged on much longer.
    I think the thing was done once British soldiers had landed in large numbers, given the poor quality of the defenders. In order to win, the Argentians had to prevent the landings, which became very hard once they decided not to fight at sea.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    stodge said:

Not that I'm a May apologist, but is the government preparing for no deal when it shouldn't be (your first para) or not preparing when it should ( third para)?

More generally, this is probably how things were always going to pan out. If you want to blame someone, try Cameron for having a referendum and Corbyn for not wholeheartedly supporting remain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Is that really news ?

Couldn’t be worse.
    Most teachers thought that of Gove when he replaced Balls.

Our sentiments did not age well.
    Fair point.
    But still, Grayling.

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Not that I'm a May apologist, but is the government preparing for no deal when it shouldn't be (your first para) or not preparing when it should ( third para)?

More generally, this is probably how things were always going to pan out. If you want to blame someone, try Cameron for having a referendum and Corbyn for not wholeheartedly supporting remain.
    I know this is an excuse Tories like to tell themselves but Labour voters voted remain at the same rate as SNP supporters and at a slightly lower rate than Lib Dem voters.

It was UKIP and Tories that won it for leave.

Edit: Not that it wouldn't be ridiculous to blame Camerons failings in the referendum on the opposition even if it didn't go against the available facts.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

I know this is an excuse Tories like to tell themselves but Labour voters voted remain at the same rate as SNP supporters and at a slightly lower rate than Lib Dem voters.

Edit: Not that it wouldn't be ridiculous to blame Camerons failings in the referendum on the opposition even if it didn't go against the available facts.
    I say blame Cameron, you say I am blaming Cameron's failings on someone else. Perhaps you are drunk?

However many Labour voters voted remain, more would have done so given adequate leadership from the top.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

I think Cameron gets most blame for proposing it in the first place. I still think well of Cameron despite this as he is a likable person and a charismatic person. Corbyn always wanted the UK to Leave because it fits with his vision of a socialist Britain and Brexit enables him to fulfil this vision. So, it is not surprising that Corbyn, the veteran campaigner failed to meet the obligation or expectation of millions of Labour voters whose lives will be detrimentally affected by Brexit.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    stodge said:

You're undermining yourself again by getting all bitter about what you expect so called apologists to do, in essence declaring that anyone with a contrary view cannot possible have any valid points because they are merely an apologist. It will be a political triumph if May gets the WA passed simply because it was so comprehensively thumped, but that would not make your and indeed my criticism of May being very responsible for the path that it has taken, with all manner of delay and focus on partisan positioning, any less valid. It is perfectly possible that something might be a political triumph and yet also be no defence against criticism of all the damage that political triumph required. And your whinges about what you expect others to say just distracts from the validity of the criticism.

I don't know why you don't just make the criticism, rather than this petty game you repeatedly indulge in by trying to preempt potential defences, and do so in very obvious, unfair ways by lumping in any even partial defence as being the work of toadies and apologies. It's pathetic and transparent. May will indeed have to own a great deal of criticism even if she somehow gets her deal through. It doesn't follow that no one could possibly acknowledge anything even remotely positive without being an apologist. It'd be like admiring a single quality of someone who is otherwise, and overwhelmingly, odious; it is possible to do and still acknowledge their odiousness. But you must know that but pretend that it is all just sucking up.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Scott_P said:
    Excellent. High time we stopped nurturing tax-dodging enclaves while pretending to deplore them. If they don't like it, let them declare independence and see how they get on.
  • Options
    I do understand that a lot of Tory members really don't like what some of their MPs have been saying or up to, but these moves don't seem like they will affect anyone's Brexit vote, so you'd assume senior people in the party are gritting teeth in frustration that they are moving now, when Labour is doing its best to grab headlines with its own divisions (not that we've not had rounds of that before).
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

I say blame Cameron, you say I am blaming Cameron's failings on someone else. Perhaps you are drunk?

However many Labour voters voted remain, more would have done so given adequate leadership from the top.
    Your post mentioned blaming Corbyn partially for Cameron's faults. Here is the sentence.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

It mainly seems to be remainer Tories who are convinced of Corbyn's failure. Given the constituencies Labour represents and how pro European the Lib Dems are and the constituencies the SNP represent, why should Labour have got a higher percentage of remain voters?

Or is it that the Lib Dems and the SNP equally let down remainers with their similar result they had to Corbyn?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Are these really showdowns with the Speaker? Bottom line seems to be that he can make any ruling he wants (without thinking about longer term precedents as he himself has admitted) but it doesn't matter if his heart is in the right place or not, the government does not have the numbers to see him removed and definitely won't this side of Brexit. So Bercow's already won and the only thing the government can do is hope that he will, at least sometimes, still consider the issues carefully even though they hate each other.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Your post mentioned blaming Corbyn partially for Cameron's faults. Here is the sentence.

It mainly seems to be remianer Tories who are convinced of Corbyn's failure. Given the constituencies Labour represents and how pro European the Lib Dems are and the constituencies the SNP represent, why should Labour have got a higher percentage of remain voters?

Or is it that the Lib Dems and the SNP equally let down remainers with their similar result they had to Corbyn?
    Your case has to be either that Corbyn did in fact properly campaign for remain, or that he didn't but it is irrelevant because no Labour voter pays any attention to him. Both claims are false.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

It mainly seems to be remianer Tories who are convinced of Corbyn's failure. Given the constituencies Labour represents and how pro European the Lib Dems are and the constituencies the SNP represent, why should Labour have got a higher percentage of remain voters?

Your case has to be either that Corbyn did in fact properly campaign for remain, or that he didn't but it is irrelevant because no Labour voter pays any attention to him. Both claims are false.
    Is there a reason you've ignored the points regarding the Lib Dems and the SNP?

Is it because those facts don't fit the narrative you prefer?

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    glw said:

That seems to have been the view held by non-Canadians, actual Canadians have been a bit more cynical than that right from the start.
    Nope - I have thought he was a clueless muppet for quite a while
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Why are they relevant?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    In non-Brexit related stuff. Was very disappointed at the IAG board and their special dividend. I say that as a holder of many, many IAG shares. The board are completely lacking in any vision and BA has gone from being best in class to being worst in class. It would have been much better for the board to earmark the special dividend to investment in the fleet so they can upgrade Club seating on a much faster schedule and replace the older planes a few years earlier.

Instead of investing in the future of the company and potentially higher returns in the next 2-4 years, we've got a bribe to mollify the institutional shareholders. Truly, British management is awful.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Tomorrows Weekend I paper reporting Brexiteers softening their stance and the DUP seeking a compromise

TM deal slowly becoming a real possibilty of passing

Yep. Slowly but surely we're getting there.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Why are they relevant?
    They are a useful tool to compare to. Scotland a more European friendly region than others in the UK. Lib Dems more of a pro European party.

Presumably their leaders did campaign properly for remain. They got a similar score to Labour. Aside from right wingers who want to blame Tory failings on the left what reason do we have to think Labour voters should have voted by a far greater margin to remain than those 2 parties voters?

It is based on nothing but repetition of the line without proving it to begin with, just stating it doesn't make it so.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Are these really showdowns with the Speaker? Bottom line seems to be that he can make any ruling he wants (without thinking about longer term precedents as he himself has admitted) but it doesn't matter if his heart is in the right place or not, the government does not have the numbers to see him removed and definitely won't this side of Brexit. So Bercow's already won and the only thing the government can do is hope that he will, at least sometimes, still consider the issues carefully even though they hate each other.
    Indeed. The Speaker is an absolute Monarch wrt procedure. Don't like the Speaker? Remove him. Don't like his unfettered power? Campaign for reform.
    They've tried the first and failed.
    God forbid they try the second, as a whole bunch of other related issues concerning the inadequacies of the Constitution may hove into view.
    Best not to scare the horses and just whinge about it instead.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Why are they relevant?
    They are a useful tool to compare to. Scotland a more European friendly region than others in the UK. Lib Dems more of a pro European party.

Presumably their leaders did campaign properly for remain. They got a similar score to Labour. Aside from right wingers who want to blame Tory failings on the left what reason do we have to think Labour voters should have voted by a far greater margin to remain than those 2 parties voters?

It is based on nothing but repetition of the line without proving it to begin with, just stating it doesn't make it so.
    Ok, so your position is that Corbyn has no influence at all over his own party.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    I wonder what my remainer friends would prefer of these two options:
    1) Brexit is cancelled, politics goes back to the way it was
    2) We still have Brexit, but in return we get to watch the Labour and Conservative parties burn themselves to the ground

I'm not sure, I'm conflicted.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

2) We still have Brexit, but in return we get to watch the Labour and Conservative parties burn themselves to the ground

I think we end up with no Brexit yet both parties destroyed.

Failure will destroy the Tories, Antisemitism will destroy labour in short order regardless of the result.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Why are they relevant?

Ok, so your position is that Corbyn has no influence at all over his own party.
    Considering you accused me of being drunk for claiming you said something you actually said this is a pretty bold play.

I'm saying Corbyn campaigned for remain properly, If the Lib Dems and the SNP campaigned for remain properly and got similar scores to Labour then it goes against the available evidence to suggest Labour didn't especially considering the SNP has a more EU friendly region and the Lib Dems more pro EU party.

With a similar performance in getting voters for remain I'd argue Labour should be further behind these parties let alone a poorer performance.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

In non-Brexit related stuff. Was very disappointed at the IAG board and their special dividend. I say that as a holder of many, many IAG shares. The board are completely lacking in any vision and BA has gone from being best in class to being worst in class. It would have been much better for the board to earmark the special dividend to investment in the fleet so they can upgrade Club seating on a much faster schedule and replace the older planes a few years earlier.

Instead of investing in the future of the company and potentially higher returns in the next 2-4 years, we've got a bribe to mollify the institutional shareholders. Truly, British management is awful.

You obviously lead a very hard life!

I wish I could complain about getting too much money or travelling in business class!

If you have cash to give away because you don't need it, sponsor a homeless person into somewhere to live or failing that help them get services they maybe entitled to but don't understand how to get them.

Some of us have real problems or know people with them, the difference is I will not publicise the ones I encounter.

Please no more bleating about rich peoples problems!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

The second one sounds like a win:win to me :)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    eek said:

I think we end up with no Brexit yet both parties destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_Vvyrd6WI
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed. The Speaker is an absolute Monarch wrt procedure. Don't like the Speaker? Remove him. Don't like his unfettered power? Campaign for reform.
    God forbid they try the second, as a whole bunch of other related issues concerning the inadequacies of the Constitution may hove into view.
    I think the problem is that if nothing else the Speaker has to be consistent. It is fine for him to set a precedent and even better if that is giving power to the MPs over the Executive but if that is the case it has to be on every occasion that the same situation arises. What he cannot do is pick and choose which time she does it. Otherwise it just brings the whole position into disrepute.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    kle4 said:

I do understand that a lot of Tory members really don't like what some of their MPs have been saying or up to, but these moves don't seem like they will affect anyone's Brexit vote, so you'd assume senior people in the party are gritting teeth in frustration that they are moving now, when Labour is doing its best to grab headlines with its own divisions (not that we've not had rounds of that before).
    Looking at the East Surrey seat the strength of UKIP in recent elections suggests to me that the East Surrey Tories have been infiltrated by former UKIP supporters. It is a sad state of affairs that Labour and now the Tories have been taken over by the extremes. No wonder people are now concluding that a Centrist Remain party is now a possibility.

I have put the East Surrey wiki link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Surrey_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Floater said:

glw said:

In general the public doesn't react much to this sort of thing - either they don't believe it or they can't be bothered to follow it or they think all politicians are the same. Initial polling after the story broke shows some movement but not much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_43rd_Canadian_federal_election

although of course it may build up.

In the same way, they tend not to react to alleged Ministerial incompetence. The default assumption of many voters is that Ministers are always useless.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Scott_P said:
    Excellent. High time we stopped nurturing tax-dodging enclaves while pretending to deplore them. If they don't like it, let them declare independence and see how they get on.
    Go on, explain how they “tax dodge”. In detail.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I think the problem is that if nothing else the Speaker has to be consistent. It is fine for him to set a precedent and even better if that is giving power to the MPs over the Executive but if that is the case it has to be on every occasion that the same situation arises. What he cannot do is pick and choose which time she does it. Otherwise it just brings the whole position into disrepute.
    The problem Richard is exactly that he does not have to be consistent. He literally can pick and choose. He may be morally and by precedent constrained, but that matters not a whit. He can do as he likes. It may bring his position into disrepute, but the entire edifice of government and opposition is in that state.
    We need constitutional reform. Brexit has revealed some unpleasant truths. The current system is entirely unfit for purpose.
    Sadly, I see the Brexit denouement leading to a situation where we just muddle along. With both parties too fractured, and frankly exhausted to bother.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Even worse is if some precedent is followed and a successor is a hyper-partisan like Bercow has become on this issue, but this time on the government's side. Bear in mind much of the time the government has a controlling majority in the Commons.

In the USA the Speaker is a purely partisan position. Nobody pretends Nancy Pelosi is neutral. Bercow's actions are pushing us in that direction.

Imagine if May had won a majority and made someone like Grayling a partisan speaker with the powers and willingness to tear up precedent that Bercow has ...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Woh. Is Labour really about to split? Watson not messing around now.

Could he be about to lead his team out of the cesspit?

• Options

Floater said:

glw said:

In general the public doesn't react much to this sort of thing - either they don't believe it or they can't be bothered to follow it or they think all politicians are the same. Initial polling after the story broke shows some movement but not much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_43rd_Canadian_federal_election

although of course it may build up.

In the same way, they tend not to react to alleged Ministerial incompetence. The default assumption of many voters is that Ministers are always useless.
    I heard a story that a government in Canada not that long ago was actually brought down due to a scandal but went on gone on to win the subsequent election. If true, that's the fickle nature of electorates right there.
  • Options
    This is how the Hard Left always end up. Tearing each other apart over minute details of process and procedure, composites, motions, card votes, votes at CLPs which half the local membership didn't know about, slurs, libels etc etc.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

My reading is that Watson is going to stay. He is in a fantastic position because as the elected deputy leader JC simply does not have the authority to sack him
  • Options
    It's a coup says Jezza outrider:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1101635831327014913

let's f***ing hope so.
  • Options

My reading is that Watson is going to stay. He is in a fantastic position because as the elected deputy leader JC simply does not have the authority to sack him
    Looks like total open war now within Labour.

May maybe be tempted to run for the ballot boxes in early May?
  • Options

What's the next step? They cannot have such open infighting for long now there's somewhere for the discontented to go (although in a way the very fact of a fight provides some incentive to stay) so what does Corbyn do? Has Watson cornered him?
  • Options

Looks like total open war now within Labour.

May maybe be tempted to run for the ballot boxes in early May?
    It'd be a total waste if she does. Nothing would re-unite Labour quicker than the start of an election campaign.

Far better to get a couple of years of them pulverising each other and then go to the polls.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What's the next step? They cannot have such open infighting for long now there's somewhere for the discontented to go (although in a way the very fact of a fight provides some incentive to stay) so what does Corbyn do? Has Watson cornered him?
    Corbyn will continue doing what he's done before I imagine: Ignore Watson.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

He can't sack him as deputy leader - but he can remove him from the shadow cabinet and exclude him from many parts of the party apparatus.

Which may well provoke a big walk out - but that remains to be seen.

I have long said that Watson could (and possibly should) lead a walk out of sufficient size to establish a new Official Opposition - stripping Corbyn of that status and a lot of union and institutional support would follow with him.
  • Options

He can't sack him as deputy leader - but he can remove him from the shadow cabinet and exclude him from many parts of the party apparatus.

Which may well provoke a big walk out - but that remains to be seen.

I have long said that Watson could (and possibly should) lead a walk out of sufficient size to establish a new Official Opposition - stripping Corbyn of that status and a lot of union and institutional support would follow with him.
    The latter is the key. Watson is an old union man iirc. If he gets some backing from the non-Red Len unions behind the scenes then maybe he will.

Plus, what does his old mentor Gordon reckon is the thing to do? Probably stay and fight would be his advise.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Corbyn will continue doing what he's done before I imagine: Ignore Watson.
    Pretty much this, he isn't one for the fight generally and he isn't going to listen to him where he doesn't want to or need to.

Labour were in pretty much open warfare for a couple of years before the 2017 election, by this point you'd think Corbyn was used to it.
This discussion has been closed.