Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The prospects for The Independent Group

Comments

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

I'm surprised the Lib Dems aren't campaigning for a peoples vote on AV. After all, we didn't know we were voting for chaos under FPTP.

The AV referendum is a good example for another reason. The Tories had a commitment to FPTP in their 2010 manifesto, but still traded away a referendum on AV within days of the election.
    Because they didn't win a majority so had to sacrifice some of their manifesto? Which is the argument against proportional systems; you never know what you're actually voting for.

I assume this about Brexit (again) in which case it's a false comparison because Leave won a majority.

If it isn't, then, er, I apologise.
    May held an election and lost her majority. Therefore whatever was in it about the single market and customs union carries as much weight as the 2010 commitment on FPTP.
    You keep saying this, although as I keep replying to you and you keep studiously ignoring the Tories won a majority with that pledge in Great Britain, while the DUP won a majority pledging the same thing in Northern Ireland.

So a majority of the UK was won with that commitment, it was just split across one party representing Britain winning a majority in Britain and a party representing Northern Ireland winning a majority in Northern Ireland. Overall the two with the same pledges won a majority in the UK.

I'd be curious to see you reply to this point rather than ignore it again.
    It doesn't really matter. What matters is what those MPs who were elected then will vote for now.
    Of course that's true. The fact that hardline extremists like Soubry, Wollaston, Grieve and Allen were elected on a manifesto to implement Brexit and made personal pledges on video during the election to implement Brexit does not mean they are doing so now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    It’s May’s Deal, May’s Deal with a Referendum (which has the risk of leading to Remain), or No Deal.
    May's deal won't pass.

What are the mechanisms by which May could be forced to do things she doesn't want to do? e.g. include customs union in deal, postpone A50, hold a referendum
    It only takes 5 more Tory MPs to defect to TIG and TIG not the DUP will hold the balance of power in the Commons.

In those circumstances May either backs EUref2 or permanent Customs Union or she loses a VONC even if she keeps DUP support
    I agree with you but not the vonc. That will not happen as TIG will be extinguished before they start and the lib dems will not support it either
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Nah
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    It’s May’s Deal, May’s Deal with a Referendum (which has the risk of leading to Remain), or No Deal.
    May's deal won't pass.

What are the mechanisms by which May could be forced to do things she doesn't want to do? e.g. include customs union in deal, postpone A50, hold a referendum
    If her Deal is voted down next week, then I believe she will move to the referendum option, blaming Parliament.

There is a decent majority, if the government vote is included, for passing the Deal as it stands, subject to approval by the voters.
    On what grounds do you believe she will move to second referendum since she has catergorically ruled that out knowing it would destroy her party
    Labour (and/or TIG) offering to support the deal if she does - thereby delivering the majority - and the only other option being to be the PM who trashed the country.

When it's sorted she is going, anyway.
    Nah, she won’t risk the total destruction of the Tory party and the rise of Nigel Farages brexit party
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Endillion said:

I'm surprised the Lib Dems aren't campaigning for a peoples vote on AV. After all, we didn't know we were voting for chaos under FPTP.

The AV referendum is a good example for another reason. The Tories had a commitment to FPTP in their 2010 manifesto, but still traded away a referendum on AV within days of the election.
    Because they didn't win a majority so had to sacrifice some of their manifesto? Which is the argument against proportional systems; you never know what you're actually voting for.

I assume this about Brexit (again) in which case it's a false comparison because Leave won a majority.

May held an election and lost her majority. Therefore whatever was in it about the single market and customs union carries as much weight as the 2010 commitment on FPTP.
    You keep saying this, although as I keep replying to you and you keep studiously ignoring the Tories won a majority with that pledge in Great Britain, while the DUP won a majority pledging the same thing in Northern Ireland.

So a majority of the UK was won with that commitment, it was just split across one party representing Britain winning a majority in Britain and a party representing Northern Ireland winning a majority in Northern Ireland. Overall the two with the same pledges won a majority in the UK.

In 2010, neither the Conservatives nor the Lib Dems had a referendum on AV in their manifestos, yet it was agreed between them.

The DUP manifesto did not have any commitments on leaving the customs union or single market but did have a lot to say about reflecting the unique circumstances of Northern Ireland.

http://www.mydup.com/images/uploads/publications/DUP_Wminster_Manifesto_2017_v5.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

The point about not holding a passport is addressed in the SAIC decision I quoted before.

Mr Larkin’s second statement also exhibits an e-mail dated 6 November 2017 from a member of the British High Commission in Bangladesh. This states that their Honorary Legal Adviser, who is also a senior lawyer of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, has confirmed that:-
    “If you’re a dual British-Bangladeshi national you will be considered by the Bangladesh Government to be a Bangladeshi citizen, even if you don’t hold or have never held, a Bangladeshi passport and were born outside Bangladesh."
    Forget the rights and wrongs of this particular case for a moment.

Doesn't it trouble you that a member of the executive can strip someone of their citizenship, without any legal process, if they are eligible to be a citizen of another country?

It seems that stripping someone of their citizenship is a punishment, in the same way that locking someone up is. We wouldn't tolerate, or at least I hope we wouldn't tolerate, the Home Secretary being able to lock people up at will, saying "oh, they can always appeal the decision if they have money and lawyers."

As regards this case, the very fact that we're debating whether she has Bangladeshi citizenship or not, and that the matter is potentially open to interpretation, suggests that this was a decision made without due process.
    Bringing her back before she has faced justice in the country in which she chose to live is enabling her to evade justice. Do you think that is right?
    I'm not sure whether you were replying to me, or to someone else.

I'm not suggesting that she evades justice abroad, she's perfectly capable of being locked up somewhere else while being a British citizen.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

If her Deal is voted down next week, then I believe she will move to the referendum option, blaming Parliament.

There is a decent majority, if the government vote is included, for passing the Deal as it stands, subject to approval by the voters.
    On what grounds do you believe she will move to second referendum since she has catergorically ruled that out knowing it would destroy her party
    Circumstances and TIG plus Lib Dems nullify the DUP
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,357
    HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

It only takes 5 more Tory MPs to defect to TIG and TIG not the DUP will hold the balance of power in the Commons.

In those circumstances May either backs EUref2 or permanent Customs Union or she loses a VONC even if she keeps DUP support
    TIG won't take her down just now.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

kinabalu said:

Jeremy at his best on the ISIS bride today. Cares not a hoot for cheap popularity. Cares only about what he believes to be right. I think this, far more than abolishing tuition fees or nationalizing the trains or whatever, is what lies at the heart of his appeal to the cognoscenti.

Do you think he is sympathetic to her Islamist credentials?
    I think that naming her son after a prominent Islamic warlord was not the best political move she could have made if she wanted to come back to the UK.
    Do we know that she named her son after that seventh century warlord? The name Jarrah is common enough to have its own Wikipedia page. The Sun published an article based on the speculation that the baby was named after the warlord, but I haven't seen any evidence.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

She would rather have a GE than second referendum
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

TIG will not have achieved much unless they bring about change in many aspects of our system of government. Radical, radical radical....They want a referendum. Why one? Why not ten a year to keep the politicians in line with what the people want? It's better than waiting 40 years for one that kicks the establishment where it hurts. Why not introduce non-binding in-school elections at 14, non-binding national elections concerning all schools for 16 year olds, a write to vote in general elactions at 18 and compulsory voting at 21. Our democracy needs to be kicked into the 21st century.

TIG should concentrate on breaking the mould. PR, an independent candidate chosen by lottery and a subsequent primary in every constituency. It's not long since we picked 12 good men and true at random (women, LGBTU) and asked them to decide on the life or death of someone on trial for murder. Somehow this process is not good enough for parliament. Dreaming? fanciful? In the words of George Bernard Shaw...

'You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

The answer to "Why not?" is generally, in the case of GBS, because it is a fucking stupid idea.

Do you feel that a write to vote in general elactions should be subject to some kind of litarecy qualification?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited February 2019
    Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Jeremy at his best on the ISIS bride today. Cares not a hoot for cheap popularity. Cares only about what he believes to be right. I think this, far more than abolishing tuition fees or nationalizing the trains or whatever, is what lies at the heart of his appeal to the cognoscenti.

I think that naming her son after a prominent Islamic warlord was not the best political move she could have made if she wanted to come back to the UK.
    Do we know that she named her son after that seventh century warlord? The name Jarrah is common enough to have its own Wikipedia page. The Sun published an article based on the speculation that the baby was named after the warlord, but I haven't seen any evidence.
    A bit like saying that the parents of anyone named Oliver must hate the Irish.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

A GE without a Brexit policy her party could unite behind would be a car crash.
  • Options

TIG will not have achieved much unless they bring about change in many aspects of our system of government. Radical, radical radical....They want a referendum. Why one? Why not ten a year to keep the politicians in line with what the people want? It's better than waiting 40 years for one that kicks the establishment where it hurts. Why not introduce non-binding in-school elections at 14, non-binding national elections concerning all schools for 16 year olds, a write to vote in general elactions at 18 and compulsory voting at 21. Our democracy needs to be kicked into the 21st century.

TIG should concentrate on breaking the mould. PR, an independent candidate chosen by lottery and a subsequent primary in every constituency. It's not long since we picked 12 good men and true at random (women, LGBTU) and asked them to decide on the life or death of someone on trial for murder. Somehow this process is not good enough for parliament. Dreaming? fanciful? In the words of George Bernard Shaw...

'You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Yeah I'm sure that's exactly what's going through Chuka's head
    Maybe that is Chuka? On his third post already.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

The ERG would be mad to agree to any deal until 5 minutes to midnight.

As for a government policy of no deal - good chance we will leave with no deal with that never being policy...

It is time ERG were put back in their box
    The ERG represent a significant chunk of the 52%.
    They have a choice, TM deal or lose

The last few days has changed the narrative away from the ERG
  • Options

TGOHF said:

As for a government policy of no deal - good chance we will leave with no deal with that never being policy...

You've said that about every development for the last three months at least.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Chris said:

kinabalu said:

I hadn't realised she said if the oldest boy had lived she wanted him to fight for ISIS

That's from the Mirror - not the sun for info
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

She has only lost three tories the rest of TIG and the Lib Dem’s were already opposition anyway
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

A GE with May as leader would be a car crash.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited February 2019
    kjohnw said:

Nah

IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Labour (and/or TIG) offering to support the deal if she does - thereby delivering the majority - and the only other option being to be the PM who trashed the country.

Nah, she won’t risk the total destruction of the Tory party and the rise of Nigel Farages brexit party
    Rubbish. There will be no total destruction of the party

ERG have max of 100 leaving over 200 conservatives who do not support them
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

A GE with May as leader would be a car crash.
    Not with Corbyn as labour leader . The shine has come back off his star now
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    nielh said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Policy made up to appease the baying mob is not good policy .

Javid is so desperate to look good to the Tory Membership that he’d even deport his own grannie to get into No 10.

I ing .

The point about not holding a passport is addressed in the SAIC decision I quoted before.

Mr Larkin’s second statement also exhibits an e-mail dated 6 November 2017 from a member of the British High Commission in Bangladesh. This states that their Honorary Legal Adviser, who is also a senior lawyer of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, has confirmed that:-
    “If you’re a dual British-Bangladeshi national you will be considered by the Bangladesh Government to be a Bangladeshi citizen, even if you don’t hold or have never held, a Bangladeshi passport and were born outside Bangladesh."

Doesn't it trouble you that a member of the executive can strip someone of their citizenship, without any legal process, if they are eligible to be a citizen of another country?

It seems that stripping someone of their citizenship is a punishment, in the same way that locking someone up is. We wouldn't tolerate, or at least I hope we wouldn't tolerate, the Home Secretary being able to lock people up at will, saying "oh, they can always appeal the decision if they have money and lawyers."

As regards this case, the very fact that we're debating whether she has Bangladeshi citizenship or not, and that the matter is potentially open to interpretation, suggests that this was a decision made without due process.
    The reason is quite simple: Civilisation is breaking down. The rule of law is in serious trouble. We are reverting to a brutal, tribal state of affairs. We just don't realise it or see it, or we otherwise pretend it isn't happening, because it doesn't seem to affect us.

For the last century or so, the idea that banishment without due process is an acceptable form of punishment would be unthinkable. It is the undoing of enlightenment idea of citizenship. But it has all suddenly become okay.

Loss of citizenship has been applied as a penalty ever since people began debating politics.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

You do not know that and it is a lot more difficult to call one now
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Yes, I agree with all that. Just because I think it looks as though Javid has satisfied the part of the procedure relating to citizenship, please don't conclude from that that I think he's necessarily satisfied the other requirements, or that his action is right or wise, or that the existing rules are good ones.

I think politicians should be given as little power as possible to meddle directly in such matters, and there should be strong safeguards against the misuse of what power they are given.
    An excellent point.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

It doesn't really matter. What matters is what those MPs who were elected then will vote for now.
    Of course that's true. The fact that hardline extremists like Soubry, Wollaston, Grieve and Allen were elected on a manifesto to implement Brexit and made personal pledges on video during the election to implement Brexit does not mean they are doing so now.
    You seem to think that repeatedly making what are essentially schoolboy debating points is going to make a difference to anything or anyone. Much better use of your time would be joining the rest of us in trying to run through what might actually happen.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

TIG won't support any vote of no confidence. Either they'd be installing Corbyn as PM, or they'd cause a general election in which they'd vanish.
  • Options
    "I have absolutely no time for the others at all."

https://twitter.com/BarryGardiner/status/1098657156855988224
  • Options

Endillion said:

In 2010, neither the Conservatives nor the Lib Dems had a referendum on AV in their manifestos, yet it was agreed between them.

The DUP manifesto did not have any commitments on leaving the customs union or single market but did have a lot to say about reflecting the unique circumstances of Northern Ireland.

http://www.mydup.com/images/uploads/publications/DUP_Wminster_Manifesto_2017_v5.pdf
    Actually it did. From your own link.

On customs: "8. Progress on new free trade deals with the rest of the world" - same as Tory policy, seeking our own trade deals with the rest of the world is only viable by leaving the customs union.

On single market: "29. Jurisdiction of European Court of Justice ended and greater control
    over our laws restored" - many others make it clear leaving single market but that one is explicit.
  • Options
    Stonch said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

That's a statement of the bleedin' obvious - of course its not - otherwise it wouldn't be a metaphor. A metaphor is a figure of speech that directly refers to one thing by mentioning another. If the referendum was a trial then it would not be a metaphor. As with all metaphors, it may provide clarity or identify hidden similarities between two different concepts, or it may not if its a bad one. However saying a something is a bad metaphor because it is applied to an action to which it is not literally applicable demonstrates a lack of understanding of what a metaphor is.

As for fresh evidence, well I must have missed all those trade deals.

Okay so it is a dumb analogy instead. Whichever way you look at it, it is still dumb. As apparently is its author.
    Please be gentle with your rapier comebacks, Oscar, I’m new here.
    Nah. You jumped in the shark pool.
    The idea of you as a shark is ridiculous. I must say your parroting of your bizarre view on what democracy is - not having a *democratic* opportunity to review or revise any decision until it’s fully enacted - is really tiresome now. Work out your issues elsewhere and stop being so bloody boring!

Another moron who doesn't understand that democracy is not just about asking a question but enacting the response as well. Stop being so bloody thick.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

TIG won't support any vote of no confidence. Either they'd be installing Corbyn as PM, or they'd cause a general election in which they'd vanish.
    They could vote against the government and then immediately offer to support them on the condition of a second referendum.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358

Yes...no more than a third of the Parliamentary party would vanish. Just a flesh wound, you reckon? I don't think I'd fancy it on my side.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

I agree with you but not the vonc. That will not happen as TIG will be extinguished before they start and the lib dems will not support it either
    On what basis will TIG be extinguished? Certainly not before a GE and the LDs will back a VONC if the alternative is hard Brexit
  • Options

Endillion said:

On customs: "8. Progress on new free trade deals with the rest of the world" - same as Tory policy, seeking our own trade deals with the rest of the world is only viable by leaving the customs union.

On single market: "29. Jurisdiction of European Court of Justice ended and greater control
    over our laws restored" - many others make it clear leaving single market but that one is explicit.
    Point 8 doesn't say anything about the deals being "our own". The EU-Japan deal would also meet that criteria.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

They will if hard Brexit looks likely
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974
    edited February 2019
    Stonch said:

Nigelb said:

No, I'm suggesting that the current set of MPs, elected after the referendum, having realised triggering A50 might have been an enormous mistake, still have the power to do something about it.

It maybe their power but is not their right to do something about it. And almost every one of them - bar Ken Clark, the SNP and a very few honourable exceptions - was elected promising to enact the referendum result. Now as I mentioned earlier of course they can in theory ignore their own promises but that shows exactly the same disregard for democracy as you are exhibiting. And once you have shown that democracy doesn't matter there is no reason why any of us should abide by it in the future.
    No sensible person would ever argue that conventions - in so far as they exist* - about party manifesto commitments being binding on individual backbench MPs could apply where there’s been a material change of circumstances.

In 2017 it was widely believed that an orderly Brexit that wouldn’t cause huge economic and reputational damage to the UK was possible (albeit possibly worse than remaining, depending on your view). Who believes that now? Not even most Leave zealots, I’d suggest. That’s a change of circumstances.

* there’s no such convention anyway - governments are bound by manifestos, not individual MPs, who should never be considered delegates, neither of political parties nor indeed of constituents.
    It wasn't about the party manifestos. It was about the individual promises those candidates made. Anna Soubry, as an example, actually included a promise to abide by the referendum result in her own personal election literature.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

I hadn't realised she said if the oldest boy had lived she wanted him to fight for ISIS

That's from the Mirror - not the sun for info
    Thanks. I see the Sun article I had looked at credits the Mirror for the speculation. Interestingly, the Mirror quotes an academic who rubbishes the suggestion about the warlord. The Sun reproduces the suggestion but omits the criticism of it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

They could well install Corbyn as PM with the requirement of EUref2 if the alternative is hard Brexit
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Strange comment. TIG only started this week

It is becoming clear that the hard brexiteers are trying to drive us over the cliff edge when sensible voters would accept TM deal and move on. I will do everything I can to stop no deal including supporting a referendum on a deal - no deal - remain basis

The outright rejection and fury from the hard brexiteers about a referendum on the three choices is a clear indication they accept they would lose

Let me make this clear, I want to leave but not at any price
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Nah

IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

So you're happy to write off 1/3rd of the parties MPs?

And what proportion of the parties voters have similar opinions to the 1/3rd of the MPs? If 1/3rd of the parties MPs split off so would voters across the country including constituencies for the remaining 2/3rds of MPs.

Nobody should be so glib about seeing a major rift in the party. Not Labour, not Tory.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Suppose she had named her son "Mohammed" - would anyone seriously consider any other Mohammed's than the founder of Islam?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

It is becoming clear that the hard brexiteers are trying to drive us over the cliff edge when sensible voters would accept TM deal and move on. I will do everything I can to stop no deal including supporting a referendum on a deal - no deal - remain basis

The outright rejection and fury from the hard brexiteers about a referendum on the three choices is a clear indication they accept they would lose

Indeed TIG started this week but the thoughts behind the post I was quoting has been posted in many threads for months now. Its not TIG-specific.

• Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

She has only lost three tories the rest of TIG and the Lib Dem’s were already opposition anyway
    Yes - but they will not vonc the government and will support, along with a majority of mps if push comes to shove, a referendum on the deal and they also negate any power the DUP may have had
  • Options
    nielh said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Javid is so desperate to look good to the Tory Membership that he’d even deport his own grannie to get into No 10.

I ing .

The reason is quite simple: Civilisation is breaking down. The rule of law is in serious trouble. We are reverting to a brutal, tribal state of affairs. We just don't realise it or see it, or we otherwise pretend it isn't happening, because it doesn't seem to affect us.

For the last century or so, the idea that banishment without due process is an acceptable form of punishment would be unthinkable. It is the undoing of enlightenment idea of citizenship. But it has all suddenly become okay.

Banishment without due process has been a feature of UK law since the 1970s. Initially the Home Secretary was given the power to exclude persons from either Great Britain or Northern Ireland, and today he has the power to specify where someone suspected of involvement in terrorism may live or travel to. None of this is remotely allowed under multiple human rights treaties that the UK is party to of course.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

I have zero sympathy for Begam however the law is the law . Using his logic anyone with foreign links could end up in the same position .

Unless she currently holds a Bangladeshi passport then she is not a dual national , many Brits have the possibility of dual nationality through either parents or grandparents but unless they have taken officially dual nationality then they have only one nationality .

The problem is just as with human rights they are there to protect us all , sometimes they do protect nasty people but we accept that imperfection for the greater good.

Sadly just as in judgements from the ECHR the right wing media helped along by some politicians seek to dupe the masses into thinking a government unchecked is a good thing .

There is a legal process though.

EDIT: And it seems that the fact we are debating her citizenship says more about us than the legal process which has already determined that she does have Bangladeshi citizenship. It seems that until that matter was settled the decision wasn't taken.
    Even if it is clear she had Bangladeshi citizenship, which it certainly is not, why do you think it is right that we dump her on them? She has never even visited Bangladesh.
  • Options

Point 8 doesn't say anything about the deals being "our own". The EU-Japan deal would also meet that criteria.
    I guess you don't dispute leaving the Single Market (29) is crystal clear?

I think the meaning of Point 8 is clear. Further context is points 9 and 11 which speaks of new "customs arrangements" with the EU, not a customs union.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Suppose she had named her son "Mohammed" - would anyone seriously consider any other Mohammed's than the founder of Islam?
    My middle names are Peter and John, but I don't think my mother, a wholly unreligious woman, was honouring the apostles of the same names when she chose them.
  • Options

Yes...no more than a third of the Parliamentary party would vanish. Just a flesh wound, you reckon? I don't think I'd fancy it on my side.
    Much the same in labour Nick
  • Options

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

She could be a boxing fan
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    _Anazina_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

I have zero sympathy for Begam however the law is the law . Using his logic anyone with foreign links could end up in the same position .

Unless she currently holds a Bangladeshi passport then she is not a dual national , many Brits have the possibility of dual nationality through either parents or grandparents but unless they have taken officially dual nationality then they have only one nationality .

The problem is just as with human rights they are there to protect us all , sometimes they do protect nasty people but we accept that imperfection for the greater good.

Sadly just as in judgements from the ECHR the right wing media helped along by some politicians seek to dupe the masses into thinking a government unchecked is a good thing .

EDIT: And it seems that the fact we are debating her citizenship says more about us than the legal process which has already determined that she does have Bangladeshi citizenship. It seems that until that matter was settled the decision wasn't taken.
    Even if it is clear she had Bangladeshi citizenship, which it certainly is not, why do you think it is right that we dump her on them? She has never even visited Bangladesh.
    A fair point, although not visiting it may well be irrelevant to the legal position, we shall see. It may well be diplomatically ill advised even if legally and morally acceptable in principle (obviously many disagree on the the acceptability of both)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Pure selfishness.

We're not dumping her on Bangladesh, she's currently in Syria which is where she chose to go to. She can stay there or be treated accordingly by the Syrian authorities but if she wants to leave Syria she has somewhere to go to.

Given she's happy to justify the Manchester Arena bombing and hasn't to my knowledge justified bombings in Bangladesh, hopefully she won't hate them as much as she hates this country.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I guess you don't dispute leaving the Single Market (29) is crystal clear?

I think the meaning of Point 8 is clear. Further context is points 9 and 11 which speaks of new "customs arrangements" with the EU, not a customs union.
    A "comprehensive free trade and customs agreement" could easily mean a customs union and "strong single market deal". It's pretty close to Labour's current position.

Agreed on point 29 but the extent of ECJ jurisdiction would obviously have to be negotiated as part of the above deal.
  • Options

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Mr Larkin’s second statement also exhibits an e-mail dated 6 November 2017 from a member of

Yes, I agree with all that. Just because I think it looks as though Javid has satisfied the part of the procedure relating to citizenship, please don't conclude from that that I think he's necessarily satisfied the other requirements, or that his action is right or wise, or that the existing rules are good ones.

I think politicians should be given as little power as possible to meddle directly in such matters, and there should be strong safeguards against the misuse of what power they are given.
    An excellent point.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313657

Hoda Muthana: Trump says IS woman barred from US return

US President Donald Trump says a woman who left the US to become a propagandist for the Islamic State (IS) group will not be allowed to return.
    On Twitter, he said he had instructed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo "not to allow Hoda Muthana back into the country".
    Mr Pompeo had earlier stated that the 24-year-old was not a US citizen and would not be admitted.
    However, her family and her lawyer maintain that she has US citizenship.
    Ms Muthana, who grew up in Alabama, travelled to Syria to join IS when she was 20. She had told her family she was going to a university event in Turkey.
    The case has similarities to that of UK-born teenager Shamima Begum who has been stripped of her British citizenship.

• Options

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Well, in that Mirror article Michael Mumisa of the Faculty of Asian and Middle-Eastern Studies, Cambridge, said that Jarrah was actually the name of the warlord's grandfather. If that's correct the speculation is nonsense anyway.
  • Options

Well said.

If Labour loses a third of its MPs to TIG that would be a serious crisis. Same for the Tories. Its nothing to laugh over.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    No, most Tories would accept No Deal if necessary and if May accepts it, it is the 17 Tory MPs who rebelled and voted for the Spelman amendment to rule out No Deal who hold the balance of power in the Commons and are most likely to defect to TIG. Soubry, Allen and Wollaston were all in that 17 as are Greening and Grieve and Lee
  • Options

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

I would not consider that the name was picked after anyone because it is so common. Obviously he's the reason it is so common, but it is just a name and I don't think we can assume a great deal from the name chosen. My name is Irish in origin, but it doesn't mean my parents were making some kind of point. In this case given the woman's recent history perhaps the name was chosen because of the apparently famous warlord, but I don't think the speculation is even necessary when there's so much odious we know for sure about her views.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited February 2019
    @rcs1000

I have been a government lawyer, though not in the Home Office. Ministers are legally entitled to make all sorts of decisions using their discretion. But three points:-

1. That discretion is usually very heavily qualified by the relevant statute, case law, the ECHR etc. A Minister cannot simply do whatever they feel like.
    2. Ministers will invariably seek legal advice before proceeding. It would be a very foolish Minister indeed who acted without benefit of legal advice, especially in a sensitive case. They want the protection of legal advice. That gives the in-house lawyers a lot of power.
    3. A Ministerial decision is open to legal challenge.

There is nothing unusual in this. Very many decisions - by Ministers, by councillors, by officials using delegated powers - are made every day in a very wide range of sectors affecting the rights and obligations of British citizens. Nationality is just one of them. And usually, the decision is made first, the challenge comes after. Imagine if the situation were reversed: no decision could be taken without a court process first to determine its legality. Nothing at all would ever get done.

You might argue that nationality is so special that it ought to be subject to some special court process before it is taken away. There is some merit in that. But, the time to argue that was when the law was being passed. It would be interesting to know if any arguments were raised in opposition at the time and who these came from. But let’s not pretend that the use of Ministerial discretion in this area was some fearfully unusual departure from normal British practice.

There is one good reason why you might want to have the balance this way round - decision first, challenge later. Imagine the government had intelligence that a terrorist who undoubtedly had dual citizenship was about to try and enter Britain using his British passport and was doing so for the purpose of committing a terrorist outrage. You don’t have much time. In those circumstances, having the power to stop someone getting on a plane to fly here is necessary. You don’t want a prolonged court case to determine the legality of your proposed action after said terrorist has turned up on your shores and blown up a few citizens.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    No, most Tories would accept No Deal if necessary and if May accepts it, it is the 17 Tory MPs who rebelled and voted for the Spelman amendment to rule out No Deal who hold the balance of power in the Commons and are most likely to defect to TIG. Soubry, Allen and Wollaston were all in that 17 as are Greening and Grieve and Lee
    Most conservative mps will not
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    _Anazina_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Well said. The governments position is wrong, borderline ridiculous and ultimately self defeating. In other words everything we’ve come to expect from May.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

So.
    It's No Deal, It's been No Deal since the Cooper amendment was lost. That was the end of the process.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

M."

A fair point, although not visiting it may well be irrelevant to the legal position, we shall see. It may well be diplomatically ill advised even if legally and morally acceptable in principle (obviously many disagree on the the acceptability of both)
    Indeed the Bangladeshi government have already told us to Foxtrot Oscar, and understandably so. Given she was born here, raised here and has never cast a single breath in Bangladesh the idea that we - a supposedly civilised nation - should try to dump her there is utterly risible.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    Then they need to act, since May's strategy appears to be just hope people back her deal when they would not before, or back no deal and blame the EU.
  • Options

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Mr Larkin’s second statement also exhibits an e-mail dated 6 November 2017 from a member of

An excellent point.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313657

Hoda Muthana: Trump says IS woman barred from US return

US President Donald Trump says a woman who left the US to become a propagandist for the Islamic State (IS) group will not be allowed to return.
    On Twitter, he said he had instructed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo "not to allow Hoda Muthana back into the country".
    Mr Pompeo had earlier stated that the 24-year-old was not a US citizen and would not be admitted.
    However, her family and her lawyer maintain that she has US citizenship.
    Ms Muthana, who grew up in Alabama, travelled to Syria to join IS when she was 20. She had told her family she was going to a university event in Turkey.
    The case has similarities to that of UK-born teenager Shamima Begum who has been stripped of her British citizenship.

Your point being that Trump is a hypocrite? I agree entirely.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

The answer to "Why not?" is generally, in the case of GBS, because it is a fucking stupid idea.

Do you feel that a write to vote in general elactions should be subject to some kind of litarecy qualification?
    That's a simply brilliant last sentence; I do hope it was deliberate. :smile:
  • Options

Well said.

If Labour loses a third of its MPs to TIG that would be a serious crisis. Same for the Tories. Its nothing to laugh over.

Disagree. I would find it side-splittingly hilarious.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758

So.
    It's No Deal, It's been No Deal since the Cooper amendment was lost. That was the end of the process.
    A post that's unlikely to age well.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Well, in that Mirror article Michael Mumisa of the Faculty of Asian and Middle-Eastern Studies, Cambridge, said that Jarrah was actually the name of the warlord's grandfather. If that's correct the speculation is nonsense anyway.
    I think you can safely stop reading the Mirror. I mean this in the way I'd suggest that stepping back from a bomb was better than not stepping back. You've clearly made some awful choices in life in terms of what you read. The good news is that whatever your new path is, it'll be better.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    _Anazina_ said:

Well said.

Disagree. I would find it side-splittingly hilarious.
    What TV drama are we talking about?

(Wouldn’t it be dramatic if Corbyn lost the role of LOTO)
  • Options

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

A Liverpool fan.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

Indeed the Bangladeshi government have already told us to Foxtrot Oscar, and understandably so. Given she was born here, raised here and has never cast a single breath in Bangladesh the idea that we - a supposedly civilised nation - should try to dump her there is utterly risible.

I have no issue with the issue to deprive of her citizenship if it was done legally, but Javid should be prepared to face the diplomatic consequences. So I wonder if he asked Hunt about the decision before he took it, given Hunt will be the one who has to smooth things over with Bangladesh if they discover they have no choice but to accept her as a citizen.
  • Options
    StonchStonch Posts: 42

Stonch said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

That's a statement of the bleedin' obvious - of course its not - otherwise it wouldn't be a metaphor. A metaphor is a figure of speech that directly refers to one thing by mentioning another. If the referendum was a trial then it would not be a metaphor. As with all metaphors, it may provide clarity or identify hidden similarities between two different concepts, or it may not if its a bad one. However saying a something is a bad metaphor because it is applied to an action to which it is not literally applicable demonstrates a lack of understanding of what a metaphor is.

Okay so it is a dumb analogy instead. Whichever way you look at it, it is still dumb. As apparently is its author.
    The idea of you as a shark is ridiculous. I must say your parroting of your bizarre view on what democracy is - not having a *democratic* opportunity to review or revise any decision until it’s fully enacted - is really tiresome now. Work out your issues elsewhere and stop being so bloody boring!

Another moron who doesn't understand that democracy is not just about asking a question but enacting the response as well. Stop being so bloody thick.
    Thanks for those kind words. The result of the referendum was enacted when Article 50 was triggered. A change of direction for the government due to a change of circumstances should always be countenanced, even it upsets a previously settled will: it’s how real people behave, it’s how businesses behave, it’s how governments behave. According to your ubsubtle logic no policy could be revised until implemented in full, if necessary to the death. That’s not even worth taking seriously.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    Sadly most Conservative MPs voted to make May immune to challenge for 12 months. And its too late to get a new government in place before Brexit day too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    Then they need to act, since May's strategy appears to be just hope people back her deal when they would not before, or back no deal and blame the EU.
    I understand only Liz Truss now supports no deal in the cabinet

Next week may shed some clarity on the matter, but TM cannot survive her cabinet resigning
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

M."

We're not dumping her anywhere. We're leaving her where she is in Syria. Good riddance to her.

Bangladesh could have stripped her citizenship first but didn't, we beat them to the punch.
  • Options
    Stonch said:

Stonch said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

A change of direction for the government due to a change of circumstances should always be countenanced, even it upsets a previously settled will: it’s how real people behave, it’s how businesses behave, it’s how governments behave.
    It's why u-turns, though usually mocked and derided, are often both necessary and appropriate. I do think they need to be justified, and I think some issues require a very high level of justification, but there's nothing wrong with the principle.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

TGOHF said:

I think cracks are showing in the ERG resolve.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    V
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

nico67 said:

Bringing her back before she has faced justice in the country in which she chose to live is enabling her to evade justice. Do you think that is right?
    I'm not sure whether you were replying to me, or to someone else.

I'm not suggesting that she evades justice abroad, she's perfectly capable of being locked up somewhere else while being a British citizen.
    Oh sure. I am all in favour of her bring investigated and, if appropriate, prosecuted by the Iraqi / Syrian authorities. And according to the news today they are quite keen to do this.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

She could have named her son Osama Adolf Saddam Attila. It would have changed the morals of the case not a jot.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

I have no issue with the issue to deprive of her citizenship if it was done legally, but Javid should be prepared to face the diplomatic consequences. So I wonder if he asked Hunt about the decision before he took it, given Hunt will be the one who has to smooth things over with Bangladesh if they discover they have no choice but to accept her as a citizen.

I didn’t write that post - kl4 did. Vanilla cock up I think
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will

Next week may shed some clarity on the matter, but TM cannot survive her cabinet resigning
    Then the ERG need to break. May cannot survive without them, either.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

She could have named her son Osama Adolf Saddam Attila. It would have changed the morals of the case not a jot.
    Yes the moral of the story is that she hates our country, is happy to see our country be attacked, we are legally able to strip her of her citizenship and our government is responsible for enacting what is best for our country - not her, and not Bangladesh.

Sucks to be Bangladesh, I feel sorry for them if they get lumped with this vile woman. But she's not our problem anymore. She chose that. Good riddance.
  • Options
    StonchStonch Posts: 42

Stonch said:

Nigelb said:

No, I'm suggesting that the current set of MPs, elected after the referendum, having realised triggering A50 might have been an enormous mistake, still have the power to do something about it.

It maybe their power but is not their right to do something about it. And almost every one of them - bar Ken Clark, the SNP and a very few honourable exceptions - was elected promising to enact the referendum result. Now as I mentioned earlier of course they can in theory ignore their own promises but that shows exactly the same disregard for democracy as you are exhibiting. And once you have shown that democracy doesn't matter there is no reason why any of us should abide by it in the future.
    No sensible person would ever argue that conventions - in so far as they exist* - about party manifesto commitments being binding on individual backbench MPs could apply where there’s been a material change of circumstances.

In 2017 it was widely believed that an orderly Brexit that wouldn’t cause huge economic and reputational damage to the UK was possible (albeit possibly worse than remaining, depending on your view). Who believes that now? Not even most Leave zealots, I’d suggest. That’s a change of circumstances.

* there’s no such convention anyway - governments are bound by manifestos, not individual MPs, who should never be considered delegates, neither of political parties nor indeed of constituents.
    It wasn't about the party manifestos. It was about the individual promises those candidates made. Anna Soubry, as an example, actually included a promise to abide by the referendum result in her own personal election literature.

And her constituents can and will judge her on it. Her response would sensibly be that she didn’t realise how disasterous the situation at this point would be. Circumstances have changed. Only sociopaths want Brexit now.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

I think you can safely stop reading the Mirror. I mean this in the way I'd suggest that stepping back from a bomb was better than not stepping back. You've clearly made some awful choices in life in terms of what you read. The good news is that whatever your new path is, it'll be better.
    I certainly felt the Mirror article was better than the one in the Sun. But it's a free country.
  • Options
    Stonch said:

Stonch said:

Nigelb said:

And her constituents can and will judge her on it. Her response would sensibly be that she didn’t realise how disasterous the situation at this point would be. Circumstances have changed. Only sociopaths want Brexit now.
    LOL!

Name one Leave-backing MP now backing Remain please.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    Sadly most Conservative MPs voted to make May immune to challenge for 12 months. And its too late to get a new government in place before Brexit day too.
    No it isn't, you can change government in a day as happens after most general elections.

All it takes is for a PM to lose a VONC and a new PM to win a VONC and the new PM to travel up the Mall, kiss hands with the Queen then appoint his new Cabinet later that day
  • Options
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Probably not, who knows?
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Quite a lot of Hungarians really are called Attila, aren't they?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    No it isn't, you can change government in a day as happens after most general elections.

All it takes is for a new PM to travel up the Mall, kiss hands with the Queen then appoint his new Cabinet later that day
    Yes if the PM resigns.

If the PM doesn't resign it is hard to force that on her. If we go to a General Election then its too late.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Probably not, who knows?
    We might find out if an appeal is successful. 'Sources close to the Foreign Minister reveal that the Foreign Secretary was not consulted and would have advised consultation with an expert in Bangladeshi nationality law before taking the decision'
  • Options
    edited February 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will
    Most Tory MPs voted against the Spelman amendment to rule out No Deal, even Javid and Hunt have said they will back No Deal as a last resort to keep their leadership hopes up.

So it will be down to TIG and more Tory MPs defecting to it to stop No Deal, I expect if necessary they will offer May a Deal v Remain referendum as a price of their support, if not they will make the same offer to Labour or agree a permanent Customs Union with the opposition
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will

I think they will. They know if we lose our majority a second referendum becomes inevitable. I have no doubt the EU will agree to an A50 extension to facilitate an election and new government which will take their default no deal option off the table.

As I said, the presence of TIG will force the ERG to compromise, they have taken the option of no deal off the table and I think JRM has realised already given the lack of reaction from him when the Malthouse amendment was shunted into the future relationship despite it being billed as a change to the WA.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will

I think they will. They know if we lose our majority a second referendum becomes inevitable. I have no doubt the EU will agree to an A50 extension to facilitate an election and new government which will take their default no deal option off the table.

As I said, the presence of TIG will force the ERG to compromise, they have taken the option of no deal off the table and I think JRM has realised already given the lack of reaction from him when the Malthouse amendment was shunted into the future relationship despite it being billed as a change to the WA.
    I hope you’re right.

I think the ERG could bring the whole house down.
  • Options
    Chris said:

_Anazina_ said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Quite a lot of Hungarians really are called Attila, aren't they?
    Yes. It’s highly doubtful he was Magyar.

The Hungarians have some great names - Zoltan, Zalan, Zsolt, Csaba.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Stonch said:

Nigelb said:

I assumed she was talking about the 1975 referendum
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will

I hope you’re right.

To what end?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Stonch said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

OED definition of democracy: "Government by the people; that form of government in which the sovereign power resides in the people as a whole, and is exercised either directly by them (as in the small republics of antiquity) or by officers elected by them."

No mention of having to execute a decision before it is put to the vote again. That is an invention of yours (endlessly repeated) that suits your argument but has no merit. Who is the moron?

John Stuart Mill pointed out one flaw of democracy was the tyranny of the majority; We sometimes see this in muslim democracies (Egypt) where the majority government insists everyone should obey Sharia law. Northern Ireland had a problem with an entrenched majority rule of protestants until their democracy was tweaked.

The UK has a worse problem. Tyranny by the minority. A government based on say 38% of the popular vote can ram its policies home against the wishes of the other 62% because of our totally crap electoral system.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

I think a lot of people are waiting to see what happens now in the negotiations with Europe.

If there is a legally-binding change as the government keeps hinting at, if the Attorney General is able to change his advice so that this isn't a Hotel California Brexit then I think the ERG will vote for the Deal as they agreed in principle on the 29th January.

If the EU basically slap us in the face, agree nothing and the original deal is put back to us again without any changes then it gets voted down again.

A legally binding change that allows everyone to save face and ratify this deal is in everyone's best interests.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will

All it takes is for a PM to lose a VONC and a new PM to win a VONC and the new PM to travel up the Mall, kiss hands with the Queen then appoint his new Cabinet later that day
    Now then. His may well be her
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Dadge said:

So.
    May's deal won't pass.

Her party will

I hope you’re right.

To what end?
    To oppose a Hotel California Brexit.
This discussion has been closed.