Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As 2018 comes to an end Marf’s Cartoon of the year

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Just to chip in to the Labour debate - I voted for Jezza in 2015 as he was the only candidate for the leadership saying anything different and interesting. By 2016 I knew he wasn't up to the job so voted against him. I was as surprised as anyone by how well we did in the 2017 GE, and credit Jezza with inspiring a tranche of voters - while also repelling others. This success in the campaign does not equate with leadership, however.

I essentially support our current economic and wider domestic policy position. I agreed with just about everything McDonnell said when he visited our constituency before Christmas. However, I think we would have a better chance of winning an election and putting our policies into practice with a different leader.

I've thought that Starmer was the best option for some time and still hold to that view.

I'd disagree but it is a plausible view, keeping the policies is more important to the Labour vote than keeping Corbyn at least judging by the polling, although Corbyn's campaigning ability shouldn't be underestimated.

One difficult thing to measure is how successful Corbyn was in getting his message across so a less charismatic messenger may struggle with exactly the same message.
    How is Corbyn going to inspire the urban masses next time around when he’s screwed them by not doing everything in his power to stop a disastrous Brexit?
    The urban masses didn't vote for him based on Brexit, it barely got a mention in the YouGov post election poll. If the Conservatives perform a disastrous Brexit then as the government they are the party that will suffer most for it. Most Labour voters are remainers but very few make it their top priority so it seems unlikely they'd abandon Labour for that.

Although to give another angle if they are literally only voting Labour for Brexit related reasons and nothing else then they are probably lost to us whatever outcome of Brexit* happens as that is the only reason they are voting for us.

*and dragging it on isn't in Labours interest certainly, It boosts the Tories by enthusing their voters and it is an issue voters consistently prefer May to Corbyn on.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning colleagues, comrades, friends and even Brexiteers. A Happy New Year, at least on a personal level to one and all!

And on that note, has anyone seen anything of DavidL?

I am here OKC, thanks for asking. Got sent home from the hospital yesterday but was out for the count well before the bells. A few quiet days with my most energetic activity being reading PB seems in order.

And a Happy New Year to all.
    Good news; thanks. Don't jeopardise recovery by getting aerated by comments from whoever you normally disagree with!
    I never do Mr Cole. I look for the humour, even if it is expressing a view I don't agree with. Thankfully there is always plenty of that on here.

I sometimes wonder if it is something politicians might think about a bit more. Those who can use humour effectively can reach parts of the electorate that they wouldn't normally get near. Boris used to do it to good effect and Cameron had genuine wit on occasions but active politicians using wit right now are hard to come by. Definitely a gap in the market.

Of course, despite Marf's best efforts, humour and Brexit are not easy bed fellows.
    Sadiq Khan presided over a Brexit joke with some style last night. All the people who think Britain will nonchalantly shrug off major disruption from a no-deal Brexit are currently finding themselves unable to cope with a visual cue from fireworks.
This discussion has been closed.