Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The magnificent resilience of TMay ploughing on relentlessly a

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited December 2018

A good plan from a Conservative point of view. I have been wondering how we can pass the disaster over to Labour so they take the flak.
    Nick has thought through a plan, for which credit. Solving the Tory crisis would also deserve credit.

It's biggest weakness is that they can't put no deal to a vote. Partly for the reasons already well rehearsed, but also because it's a non-seller to the minor parties and probably to most Labour MPs. They have already put an amendment ruling out no deal, so how can they possibly stick it in a referendum?

Tbe other weakness is that if Labour's sunshine and sweeties deal proves impossible to negotiate, what then?

And, of course, sorting out the personalities would be horrendous, and there won't be majority support for ever making Corbyn PM
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

My position is changing 3 times a week on Brexit, and twice on sundays. It means I'm able to see it from all sides, and today I'm in the mood for a hard Brexit :)

I know what you mean. I'm a deal person (I love the deal) but I do have occasional little bouts of 2nd ref and WTO. Not today though.
    Yes I'm in favour of a deal, but it doesn't look like passing the HoC.
  • Options
    It was mentioned on 5 live last night that TM has spoken at the dispatch box for 12 hours, ex PMQ's, on brexit over the last few weeks

Meanwhile Corbyn is not to be seen, hiding in an Edinburgh community centre with a ban on reporters.

And he wants to be PM
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

When doing exams, or engineering calculations, you put the conclusion to a "sanity check". (Note that this has nothing to do with madness or otherwise; it's just the term used). You run the answer directly against the question and see if it makes sense. If it does not, there has likely been a breakdown somewhere in the chain of logic or calculations.

"It would be undemocratic if we didn't finish leaving the EU, despite the majority of the people now being against that" does seem to be placing an undue pressure on the word "undemocratic", and arguably more than it is able to bear.

I would agree, though, if the first vote had been ignored, or if it was still very recent (within a few months). If you make no effort to carry out the result, it's undemocratic. If you call for a revote immediately, you're trying to ride random swings in opinion, and it's not really democratic.

The plain fact is that the enacting of the result takes (and has taken) significant time. It has also produced a result that conflicts with what was advertised (which is arguably not unusual for politicians).

Requesting confirmation, now that nearly three years have passed and the specific withdrawal conditions/agreement are now known, is not ignoring the original vote (they've done a lot on this), nor is it an instant revote.

But the stance that democracy means doing something we strongly believe the majority don't want - that fails the "sanity check". If they still want it, there's no harm in getting them to confirm it. If they don't, then the majority did not want it to happen after all.

Excellent post.

I'm happy to accept that a second ref would be divisive - but cannot see how it is in any way a restriction rather than an extension of democracy.

The issue would be excluding people who didn't favour one of the two options given (e.g. Remainers in Deal/No Deal, hard Brexit fans in Remain / Deal - why I favour an AV three-way.)
  • Options
    John_M said:

@DavidEvershed...snipped because of blockquote hell...

I mildly object to 'any'. I don't care about EU immigration - if you look at the various EU member states economic growth rates, you can see that it's a transient issue exacerbated by Blair's loop-de-loop decision not to have transitional controls.

Similarly, if we could simply *pay* for Single Market membership while otherwise being outside the EU's treaty structures, I'd have my cheque book out in short order.

I do appreciate that my position is a niche one of course :).

If you don't mind having no control of immigration from the EU, making annual contributions to the EU, agreeing to EU single market regulations and not being able to negotiate free trade deals, are you really a Leave voter?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Donny43 said:

When doing exams, or engineering calculations, you put the conclusion to a "sanity check". (Note that this has nothing to do with madness or otherwise; it's just the term used). You run the answer directly against the question and see if it makes sense. If it does not, there has likely been a breakdown somewhere in the chain of logic or calculations.

"It would be undemocratic if we didn't finish leaving the EU, despite the majority of the people now being against that" does seem to be placing an undue pressure on the word "undemocratic", and arguably more than it is able to bear.

I would agree, though, if the first vote had been ignored, or if it was still very recent (within a few months). If you make no effort to carry out the result, it's undemocratic. If you call for a revote immediately, you're trying to ride random swings in opinion, and it's not really democratic.

The plain fact is that the enacting of the result takes (and has taken) significant time. It has also produced a result that conflicts with what was advertised (which is arguably not unusual for politicians).

Requesting confirmation, now that nearly three years have passed and the specific withdrawal conditions/agreement are now known, is not ignoring the original vote (they've done a lot on this), nor is it an instant revote.

But the stance that democracy means doing something we strongly believe the majority don't want - that fails the "sanity check". If they still want it, there's no harm in getting them to confirm it. If they don't, then the majority did not want it to happen after all.

There is plenty of harm in establishing the principle that things have to be voted for twice before they can be permitted to happen.

And, of course, that assumes that voting for them twice would be enough.
    Andy isn't saying that.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

In a break from Brexit:

"Student loan change adds £12bn to deficit"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46591500

Woops!

Or an incentive to increase the repayment rate ;)
    Or reverse the policies of Thatcher and Sons
    http://www.educationengland.org.uk/documents/robbins/robbins1963.html

We paid for higher education by, shock horror, progressive taxation. I benefited from the opportunity to be the first in my family to go to university. In hindsight, I'll always be grateful to the One Nation Conservative and Old Labour governments which then ran the country and understood that 'there is such a thing as society'.
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    edited December 2018

Pulpstar said:

If parliament rejects May's deal by 420 - 220 (or thereabouts), why on earth should the very same deal then be put to a public referendum?

In order to overrule Parliament, who will have failed to come up with a workable option.
    There is just a hint of circular logic/intended self fulfilling prophecy for those rejecting the deal in parliament and then advocating a second vote.
    Those who advocate leaving without the deal before us and since it is the only deal by implication no deal (Crispin Blunt) are being intellectually far more pure.
    "We don't think it's a good idea or delivers what was promised to you, but we will abide by your decision on that."

Seems valid to me.
    "You said you'd like a sandwich. Oh dear, [I've forgotten where the fridge is|EU27 stole my fridge|My fridge unexpectedly disappeared] (delete as applicable). All I can offer you now is a cat turd roll. That will be disgusting, and it will probably make you sick, but I respect you so much that I feel honour bound to offer you something you can eat between two pieces of bread after I promised. And I wouldn't want to disrespect you by asking you whether you want it or not."
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    I see that we are all on Santa's naughty list:

Europe's Retail Apocalypse Spreads to Online From Shopping Malls https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-17/asos-cuts-guidance-after-significant-deterioration-in-november
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

My position is changing 3 times a week on Brexit, and twice on sundays. It means I'm able to see it from all sides, and today I'm in the mood for a hard Brexit :)

I know what you mean. I'm a deal person (I love the deal) but I do have occasional little bouts of 2nd ref and WTO. Not today though.
    My one constant is that I have never regretted voting remain in the original referendum, I'd have to have a serious serious think if any subsequent one came up. Emotionally 'leave' has a much stronger appeal on the surface than remain right now, but there are other factors to consider.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617

It was mentioned on 5 live last night that TM has spoken at the dispatch box for 12 hours, ex PMQ's, on brexit over the last few weeks

Meanwhile Corbyn is not to be seen, hiding in an Edinburgh community centre with a ban on reporters.

And he wants to be PM

Spoken for 12 hours - and given the same answer to 154 different back-bench questions.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A good plan from a Conservative point of view. I have been wondering how we can pass the disaster over to Labour so they take the flak.
    Nick has thought through a plan, for which credit. Solving the Tory crisis would also deserve credit.

It's biggest weakness is that they can't put no deal to a vote. Partly for the reasons already well rehearsed, but also because it's a non-seller to the minor parties and probably to most Labour MPs. They have already put an amendment ruling out no deal, so how can they possibly stick it in a referendum?

Tbe other weakness is that if Labour's sunshine and sweeties deal proves impossible to negotiate, what then?

And, of course, sorting out the personalities would be horrendous, and there won't be majority support for ever making Corbyn PM
    As you imply, it's not much of a plan, since it relies on unicorns prancing in the sunlit meadows of a Corbyn utopia:

We would make a serious effort to negotiate an alternative Brexit deal, scrapping May’s “no customs union” red line and accepting full regulatory alignment in trade (which eliminates the need for a backstop), plus whatever other changes we would hope to achieve, such as relaxation of constraints on state aid. In parallel, we would negotiate basic trading arrangements for a possible WTO exit to avoid the unthinkable consequences of total ‘no deal’. We would request, and expect to get, a three-month extension for this negotiation.

But, as a means for passing the blame on to Labour, it has its merits!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995

And he wants to be PM

Giving her enough rope? Not disagreeing, just wondering.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

I mildly object to 'any'. I don't care about EU immigration - if you look at the various EU member states economic growth rates, you can see that it's a transient issue exacerbated by Blair's loop-de-loop decision not to have transitional controls.

Similarly, if we could simply *pay* for Single Market membership while otherwise being outside the EU's treaty structures, I'd have my cheque book out in short order.

If you don't mind having no control of immigration from the EU, making annual contributions to the EU, agreeing to EU single market regulations and not being able to negotiate free trade deals, are you really a Leave voter?
    The future of the EU is a federal state. No ta.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

This is what Farage should happen in the event of a 52/48 referendum result

There could be unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin on 23 June, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

Which you would have completely disagreed with had remain won.
    During the referendum campaign the government was heavily promoting the Remain side along with most establishment figures. It is generally hard to change the status quo because people are fearful of change. The referendum was heavily weighted in favour of Remain. So it is to be expeceted that anti-establishment forces would anticipate having to keep making their arguments against the established position.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

US Senate votes to end military aid to the Saudis for their war in Yemen and blames Bin Salman for the death of James Khashoggi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46588036

Is Britain still supporting the Saudis?
    Not after Khashoggi
    Funny business, war. 85,000 dead Yemeni children, not a peep. One dead journalist and suddenly all bets are off.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46261983
    There is a difference between civilians being caught in the crossfire of a military conflict and a country abusing diplomatic privileges to torture and murder a civilian in an embassy. Yes, both are bad. One can still be worse.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the genocide is worse.
    What is your opinion on the RAF bombing campaign of German cities in WWII?
    A necessary evil. On the other hand the bombing of British cities by the Germans was just plain evil. War isn't a way to launder immoral actions into moral ones. The killings that occur during a war are only as justified as the war itself.
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

Spoken for 12 hours - and given the same answer to 154 different back-bench questions.
    The word different is doing some seriously heavy lifting here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

And to think if TM deal passed the pound would rocket, investment would rise, business would be delighted as would EU residents here and UK ones in the EU, planes will fly, holidays can be booked and health cards continued, roaming will continue and we are at the start of a period of intense trade negotiations

TM could arrange an orderly succession and the Country would avoid a horribly divisive referendum

That is all I want along with millions of others

But we have the most pathetic tribal politicians I can ever recall taking us to hell on a handcart
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Entering a WTO Brexit is not the end of the story.

From that position the UK can then negotiate a trade deal in parallel with a divorce bill - a far stronger negotiating position than agreeing the divorce bill before having a trade agreement as now.

We originally hoped to avoid such a two stage change to import and export arrangements by having parallel negotiations on divorce and future trade and that nothing would be agreed until everything was agreed.

However, May insisted Davis accept the EU plan to agree the divorce bill first, leaving no time for the trade agreement and now we are being made to accept the Withdrawal Agreement before any Trade Agreement - so we are not in a position where nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. A WTO Brexit would allow us to return to that position.

Negotiating Trade in parallel with Withdrawal also eliminates the Irish Backstop issue for Britain although the EU would have to allow Ireland to continue without a hard border until the Trade Agreement was finalised.

I am sure we will all be happy to put our businesses and finances on hold and sit calmly while we wait for all that to carry on.
    You realise, of course, the EU utterly refuses to begin any trade negotiations until there is a legally binding assurance of no hard border in Northern Ireland?

No matter how much you tut the word "WTO", it isn't going to change that.

No backstop = no trade negotiations.
    They're bluffing.

If we exit with no deal are they going to start erecting customs posts etc? If not then there is no hard border despite being on WTO terms so there's nothing to resolve.
  • Options

Really? They have us over a barrel. They scent victory on the air. Why would they cave now?

Because they would rather have us in a CU and SM permanently than either the current deal of No Deal.
    You see, I think you're making the same mistake as May by badly overestimating how willing the EU are to stop us from crashing out without a deal.

They don't want us to No Deal, but equally they're barely willing to lift a finger to stop it. Why? Pour encourager les autres...
    Their evaluation of everything, including the motives of others, is coloured (poisoned) by their having decided in advance that the EU is some sort of EUSSR.

It's why no nutjob Brexiter would have made anything worthwhile of the negotiations.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    Barnesian said:

Donny43 said:

There is plenty of harm in establishing the principle that things have to be voted for twice before they can be permitted to happen.

Andy isn't saying that.
    It's what is implied, though.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

And to think if TM deal passed the pound would rocket, investment would rise, business would be delighted as would EU residents here and UK ones in the EU, planes will fly, holidays can be booked and health cards continued, roaming will continue and we are at the start of a period of intense trade negotiations

TM could arrange an orderly succession and the Country would avoid a horribly divisive referendum

That is all I want along with millions of others

But we have the most pathetic tribal politicians I can ever recall taking us to hell on a handcart
    Labour is clearly acting in their own party interests. Many on the Tory benches might ask (if the deal is rejected) why the hell shouldn't they.
  • Options
    How can Tony Blair's proposal to reform the EU and "rethink" FOM be implemented except if the richer member states invoke A50, leave the EU, and set up a replacement with different movement rules?
  • Options
    Xenon said:

There could be unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin on 23 June, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said.

Wrong.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

From that position the UK can then negotiate a trade deal in parallel with a divorce bill - a far stronger negotiating position than agreeing the divorce bill before having a trade agreement as now.

We originally hoped to avoid such a two stage change to import and export arrangements by having parallel negotiations on divorce and future trade and that nothing would be agreed until everything was agreed.

However, May insisted Davis accept the EU plan to agree the divorce bill first, leaving no time for the trade agreement and now we are being made to accept the Withdrawal Agreement before any Trade Agreement - so we are not in a position where nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. A WTO Brexit would allow us to return to that position.

Negotiating Trade in parallel with Withdrawal also eliminates the Irish Backstop issue for Britain although the EU would have to allow Ireland to continue without a hard border until the Trade Agreement was finalised.

I am sure we will all be happy to put our businesses and finances on hold and sit calmly while we wait for all that to carry on.
    You realise, of course, the EU utterly refuses to begin any trade negotiations until there is a legally binding assurance of no hard border in Northern Ireland?

They're bluffing.

If we exit with no deal are they going to start erecting customs posts etc? If not then there is no hard border despite being on WTO terms so there's nothing to resolve.
    You were shot down on this the last time.
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

Not too sure I like the inference of the rope

However, TM rises as Corbyn falls as she is in the spotlight and he is anoymous
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

I'm happy to accept that a second ref would be divisive - but cannot see how it is in any way a restriction rather than an extension of democracy.

The issue would be excluding people who didn't favour one of the two options given (e.g. Remainers in Deal/No Deal, hard Brexit fans in Remain / Deal - why I favour an AV three-way.)
    The problem with this approach is why should be the second referendum be more decisive than the first? Let's say the second vote came in as Remain. We then stick with the EU. It then turns out that the EU takes away our opt-outs. Do we get another chance to vote then on the grounds of a material change? Who judges on what grounds another referendum be called for a third time?

One of the big unspoken reasons why there is opposition to a 2nd referendum is the belief that, if Remain won, all talk of "people can change their minds and should be consulted" would disappear
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

And he wants to be PM

I take your point, but May has managed to say nothing at all in all of those 12 hours. Nothing has changed in fact. She will spend serval more hours saying nothing this afternoon.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

And he wants to be PM

I know you don't like the overuse of violent metaphors, and I broadly agree that we need to dial back the violent imagery in these troubled times, but surely "give somebody enough rope to hang themselves" gets a free pass because it's a common English idiom?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671

tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

The problem with this approach is why should be the second referendum be more decisive than the first? Let's say the second vote came in as Remain. We then stick with the EU. It then turns out that the EU takes away our opt-outs. Do we get another chance to vote then on the grounds of a material change? Who judges on what grounds another referendum be called for a third time?

One of the big unspoken reasons why there is opposition to a 2nd referendum is the belief that, if Remain won, all talk of "people can change their minds and should be consulted" would disappear
    How does the EU take away our opt-outs? This is typical of the fantasy thinking of many (not all) Leavers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    Yet more retail woes; Laura Ashley announcing that they are closing 40 stores. The significance here is that all this bad retail news is coming before Xmas - usually when the retail sector hits bad times, it is after Xmas that it shows up. That suggests to me that we've got a lot more bad news coming over the next couple of months.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,111
    edited December 2018

malcolmg said:

As will a Labour government propped up by the SNP.

*innocent face*

https://twitter.com/BrexitCentral/status/1074612747390910464

It is coming
    The remainer activity to overturn the Brexit vote is nothing compared to what would be done to overturn an indyref2 yes vote
    Still be the same clowns & incompetents & all round horrible people doing it though, with the added bonus that it might be Boris or Corbyn at the helm.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

How does the EU take away our opt-outs? This is typical of the fantasy thinking of many (not all) Leavers.
    Is that like the fantasy thinking of an EU Army, which we were all told was garbage?
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

I take your point, but May has managed to say nothing at all in all of those 12 hours. Nothing has changed in fact. She will spend serval more hours saying nothing this afternoon.
    I think that's right. Big_G is shooting himself in the foot a bit there. Oh... :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2018

They're bluffing.
    Good of you to be willing to risk going all-in with the UK economy to call them to find out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    It looks increasingly like MPs will vote for a Norway option and EU referendum first by motions from MPs before they vote on the Deal, so if the first two fail that could help May put the Deal as the only alternative to No Deal
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Well he's got a lot of time on his hands now Carlton Television have disappeared.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

The EU cannot take our opt outs away if we revoke Article 50 before March as the ECJ effectively confirmed
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

Nothing has changed because various interests are pulling against each other but this is coming to an end as we crash out at the end of March. Time the mps got behind the deal
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

RobD said:

In a break from Brexit:

Woops!

We paid for higher education by, shock horror, progressive taxation. I benefited from the opportunity to be the first in my family to go to university. In hindsight, I'll always be grateful to the One Nation Conservative and Old Labour governments which then ran the country and understood that 'there is such a thing as society'.
    We still do.
    I believe we actually pay more for students to go to University today than we did back then. It's just that there are so many more going.

Back then, by and large, we didn't have free University education, because we didn't have University education. Only a very few special ones did.
    If we went back to the same proportion going, we could pay for all their tuition and more towards their subsistence - but at the cost of most who currently go, not going.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

I don't actually, but this sort of trite arch-remainer attitude is why you lost the vote.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

And he wants to be PM

The word different is doing some seriously heavy lifting here.
    Fair play!
  • Options

John_M said:

It's leaving the European union. It is Brexit. And Brexit means Brexit.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Xenon said:

Wrong.
    He's right though. People can't spend the campaign dismissing Farage, calling him a liar and then select one thing that he said and hold it up as gospel. Not to mention that Farage was neither part of an official campaign, nor part of the electoral commission who set the question. It's really clutching at straws.
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

Nothing has changed because various interests are pulling against each other but this is coming to an end as we crash out at the end of March. Time the mps got behind the deal
    Why should they act as a rubber-stamping office?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The EU cannot take our opt outs away if we revoke Article 50 before March as the ECJ effectively confirmed

Indeed, the ECJ has gone out of its way to ensure the status quo ante is simply a phone call away.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Malmo v Chelsea. I can't see any problems with that draw...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited December 2018

RobD said:

In a break from Brexit:

Woops!

What it does show is that the election debate had (by its very nature) a lot of partisan spin around how much cancelling debt would cost. If you look at the Lords report, the whole thing is just bizarre smoke and mirrors.
    "I had not understood that by moving to a system of funding through loans, because of the accounting methods of the Treasury, it was possible for George Osborne to appear to increase funding for higher education by £3bn but at the same time cut his deficit by £3.8bn," said Lord Forsyth.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Barnesian said:

Donny43 said:

Andy isn't saying that.
    It's what is implied, though.
    It's what you want to read into it in order to justify the conclusion that democracy means doing what the majority don't want.
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

I know you don't like the overuse of violent metaphors, and I broadly agree that we need to dial back the violent imagery in these troubled times, but surely "give somebody enough rope to hang themselves" gets a free pass because it's a common English idiom?
    I have concern over any use of violent suggestion but I know OKC expressed himself without any such thoughts
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

Is that like the fantasy thinking of an EU Army, which we were all told was garbage?
    No - it's like the fantasy thinking of '12m Turks coming to Britain', 'The easiest deal in the world', 'They need us more than we need them', '£350m per week for the NHS'...

I could go on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

John_M said:

There has always been a significant minority of the Leave vote, such as Richard Tyndall, John M and myself, who wanted us to leave the political structure of the EU, but was largely happy with the Four Freedoms.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

And to think if TM deal passed the pound would rocket, investment would rise, business would be delighted as would EU residents here and UK ones in the EU, planes will fly, holidays can be booked and health cards continued, roaming will continue
    You know what else does that? Remain.

And it avoids us needing to spend the next seven years being repeatedly humiliated and outmanoeuvred in backbreaking trade deals, because we're ALREADY IN THE SINGLE MARKET!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    edited December 2018

And he wants to be PM

Point taken Mr G, but what other idiom or phrase could one use? 'Dig her own grave' is no better, surely?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited December 2018
    Another referendum;

We think that the public will understand a 600 page international treaty and the various complex competing options that the accompanying 30 pages of waffling and sometimes contradictory political aspiration make more or less likely, do we?

C'mon. It's a joke. The 'democracy' argument is a fig leaf. It's just desperation to Remain. First PV person to be honest and say so gets a week's holiday in the sun and £500 spending money.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

The apparent tautology is solved as thus:

A vote to implement Brexit means that Brexit will be implemented.
  • Options

They're bluffing.
    Good of you to be willing to risk going all-in with the UK economy to call them to find out.
    It's the only way to deal with a bluff.

Do you think they're going to build customs posts at the Irish border if we do crash out?
  • Options

John_M said:

We voted for Leave and Leave means Leave.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

There has always been a significant minority of the Leave vote, such as Richard Tyndall, John M and myself, who wanted us to leave the political structure of the EU, but was largely happy with the Four Freedoms.
    It's deluded to think that a single market is not a political structure. Your position is based on identity, not politics.
  • Options
    "Have you considered resigning and letting some other poor fool try to sort your mess out?"
  • Options

As will a Labour government propped up by the SNP.

*innocent face*

https://twitter.com/BrexitCentral/status/1074612747390910464

The only polls putting Yes ahead in the event of indyref2 are with a No Deal Brexit
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Here's Daily Mail readers upvoting the idea of the deep state "shooting another remain MP" to win a remain referendum.

Is Lucky Guy’s real name Frank Fisher?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

And he wants to be PM

I have concern over any use of violent suggestion but I know OKC expressed himself without any such thoughts
    Absolutely. Let’s not get all caught up. It’s one thing to say “all politicians should be hanged”, another to say “the prime mininster should be hanged” and another again to say “give somebody enough rope”. The first two are differing threats of violence, one minimal and one a touch more serious, but only a touch, the latter is entirely innocuous.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They're bluffing.

You were shot down on this the last time.
    No I wasn't. You disagreeing isn't shooting down.

The Irish have said they won't build customs posts even if there is no deal so what's the big deal? They've preannounced that they are bluffing!
  • Options
    Oort said:

And he wants to be PM

Why should they act as a rubber-stamping office?
    It is in the national interest to move on and more than anything give business the transistion they need
  • Options

John_M said:

And now people have decided that was a mistake, Remain means Remain.
  • Options

Shows very little other than how toxic Brexit is for Labour.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

B.

Excellent post.

No - it's like the fantasy thinking of '12m Turks coming to Britain', 'The easiest deal in the world', 'They need us more than we need them', '£350m per week for the NHS'...

I could go on.
    "The end of western civilisation" was, I think, the best.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The apparent tautology is solved as thus:

A vote to implement Brexit means that Brexit will be implemented.
    “When I use Brexit,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make Brexit mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”
  • Options
    Donny

Only narrowly - against generic ‘free unicorns’ Leave.

That form of Leave no longer exists, even in the imagination.

• Options
    Brom said:

Xenon said:

Wrong.
    He's right though. People can't spend the campaign dismissing Farage, calling him a liar and then select one thing that he said and hold it up as gospel. Not to mention that Farage was neither part of an official campaign, nor part of the electoral commission who set the question. It's really clutching at straws.
    Which is why I cited Dominic Raab as well.
  • Options

RobD said:

In a break from Brexit:

Woops!

Progressive taxation paid for a very small number of people to go to university, disproportionately from means in which support was not needed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It looks increasingly like MPs will vote for a Norway option and EU referendum first by motions from MPs before they vote on the Deal, so if the first two fail that could help May put the Deal as the only alternative to No Deal
    Whatever motions are passed they don't change the law that we Leave on March 28th 2019.

Passing a motion just about sums up MPs trying to block the Leave result of the referendum.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2018
    Anazina said:

I don't believe the LDs would get a boost quite as high as that, although they'd undoubtedly get some. The focused nature of the question is pushing people in a direction and in numbers that wouldn't happen at a real election where there are so many different issues competing for attention. The problem with these types of questions is that they are focusing on just one issue.
  • Options

And he wants to be PM

Point taken Mr G, but what other idiom or phrase could one use? 'Dig her own grave' is no better, surely?
    I should apologise to you as I know you meant no ill in your comments.

Just I am sensitive in these times to avoid any unnecessary inferences

Best wishes to you
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Donny

Only narrowly - against generic ‘free unicorns’ Leave.

That form of Leave no longer exists, even in the imagination.

Norway+ is pretty unicorny. And it will drive the racists absolutely apopletic with gammon-hued rage.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

It's deluded to think that a single market is not a political structure. Your position is based on identity, not politics.
    The EEC was a political structure, but membership of the EEA is a bit deeper than the EEC I would be happy.
  • Options
    I blame the English house sale/purchasing system for people not taking their leave/remain vote with the seriousness it deserved. I reckon less people in Scotland have changed their minds on the referendum with their frankly better system.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

B.

Excellent post.

I could go on.
    Wasn't there the threat of a Third World War if we left the EU - from David Cameron.
  • Options

John_M said:

And now people have decided that was a mistake, Remain means Remain.
    Evidence?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Anazina said:

Cons get their highest voteshare, 44%, if only they back Brexit and Labour and the LDs back EUref2 with Labour unchanged on 36%.

However the Tories would win a landslide on a lower voteshare of 42% if Labour backed Brexit and the LDs backed EUref2 as Labour would slump 14% to 22% while the LDs surge 16% to 26% repeating a 1983 general election scenario and splitting the centre left vote under FPTP
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Xenon said:

I think that they will cancel A50 using a cross party majority of MPs at the last minute.

They won't allow no deal and they won't have another referendum (what would the question even be?).

That is also my expectation. A50 will be revoked and the question of whether this will be temporary or permanent will be left open. But the reality is that it will be permanent.
    I worry a great deal about the political turmoil that putting Remain on the ballot will cause.
    I think your suggestion is spot on. It honours the referendum result, and allows everyone a voice. From the EU's point of view, they'd rather we were Norway, rather than out altogether, as we'd be handing over at least some money, and it makes us a rule taker. From our side it allows us to resolve what the future relationship looks like, and allows purists to argue for No Deal.
    A Hobson's choice to blackmail Remainers into backing a Norway-style deal was always the plan of certain people, but putting it in a referendum shows absolute contempt.
    Well, you can see it that way, or you can accept that there was a vote and Leave won. To revisit that question is, I am very sad to say, probably going to be explosive.

I write as a Remainer.

I don't like any of this, but seems to me, increasingly, that a period in Norway arrangement and then a revisit of the rejoin question is probably a better way forward.
    I think the betrayal narrative and conspiracy theories from a period in a Norway-style arrangement would be much greater and do more long-term damage: "They're not letting us leave properly!"

When you add in the fact that project fear would have been discredited by a soft exit, and you have the perfect conditions for a far nastier Brexit 2.0.
    You may be right. There is no good answer on all this. Just various bad options of different degrees.

My guess is though, that enough Leave voters, sick to the back teeth of it all, will accept Norway and want to get on with life. There will be a noisy minority, but I doubt it will be as big or rabid as if Remain is back on the ballot.

Norway means no control of EU immigration and continuing contributions to the EU - both glaring red lines for any Leave voters.
    How do you know what the "red lines" of every leave voter are? Is it just the vibe?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Which is precisely why EEA should have been on the ballot paper in the first place.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Another referendum;

We think that the public will understand a 600 page international treaty and the various complex competing options that the accompanying 30 pages of waffling and sometimes contradictory political aspiration make more or less likely, do we?

C'mon. It's a joke. The 'democracy' argument is a fig leaf. It's just desperation to Remain. First PV person to be honest and say so gets a week's holiday in the sun and £500 spending money.

After the fiasco of the past two years and the disastrous options in front of us, of course it is desperation to remain. Opinion has changed faced with the reality. Nevertheless it must be done via a vote and if people instead want to leave with the deal, so be it.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

B.

Excellent post.

I could go on.
    Wasn't there the threat of a Third World War if we left the EU - from David Cameron.
    No.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Cons get their highest voteshare, 44%, if only they back Brexit and Labour and the LDs back EUref2 with Labour unchanged on 36%.

However the Tories would win a landslide on a lower voteshare of 42% if Labour backed Brexit and the LDs backed EUref2 as Labour would slump 14% to 22% while the LDs surge 16% to 26% repeating a 1983 general election scenario and splitting the centre left vote under FPTP
    There is a third poll missing, Tories pivot to a second referendum.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Cons get their highest voteshare, 44%, if only they back Brexit and Labour and the LDs back EUref2 with Labour unchanged on 26%.

The one thing you can be >99.9% certain of is that none of those polls would be replicated in a real vote.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Whatever motions are passed they don't change the law that we Leave on March 28th 2019.

Passing a motion just about sums up MPs trying to block the Leave result of the referendum.
    It may leave with Deal as the last thing standing in the way of No Deal though
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

And to think if TM deal passed the pound would rocket, investment would rise, business would be delighted as would EU residents here and UK ones in the EU, planes will fly, holidays can be booked and health cards continued, roaming will continue
    You know what else does that? Remain.

And it avoids us needing to spend the next seven years being repeatedly humiliated and outmanoeuvred in backbreaking trade deals, because we're ALREADY IN THE SINGLE MARKET!
    Indeed it does and I am quite happy for that to happen if TM deal falls

However, the idea a referendum is the answer fills me dread and that it would be so nasty and divisive it could have severe unintended consequences
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Which is probably not going to happen, certainly at leadership level unless Deal or No Deal
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Cons get their highest voteshare, 44%, if only they back Brexit and Labour and the LDs back EUref2 with Labour unchanged on 26%.

The one thing you can be >99.9% certain of is that none of those polls would be replicated in a real vote.
    Labour can only win if May pivots to a second referendum.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Excellent post.

I could go on.
    No.
    Only because the backlash against the pre-briefing of his speech was so great that he took the line out.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    We give our politicians hell and yet no Leaver on here says "I do not want a 2nd referendum because I do not think Leave would win it". Instead we get all sorts of obfuscations and such instead of basic honesty.

Have the referendum. We know exactly what the options are now as opposed to nebulous sunny upland stuff. There are exactly three of them.

-No Deal
    -May's Deal
    -Remain

I am an arch-Remainer (apparently!!) but I will abide by the result however it turns out.

I would suggest that this is a PR vote - select 1st, 2nd and 3rd Preference. Put all three on the ballot.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Malmo v Chelsea. I can't see any problems with that draw...

I think it is time to ban Chelsea from European football.

Hopefully Tottenham Hotspur will not disgrace themselves again at the Emirates this week.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Which is probably going to happen, certainly at leadership level unless Deal or No Deal
    I'm predicting a Labour lead in that particular scenario.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

I think the LDs would surge at Labour's expense if there is a Commons motion for EUref2 and Corbyn opposes it and the LDs back it
  • Options
    notme said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

The EEC was a political structure, but membership of the EEA is a bit deeper than the EEC I would be happy.
    Whilst EFTA membership is achievable, it's by no means clear that the EEA is open to us, practically. The UK is too big and too unreliable for the EU to be happy with us being in the very loose regulatory feedback loop the EEA provides.

The EU will almost certainly insist on a much more rigid enforcement mechanism for ensuring UK maintains regulatory compliance. And they'd also make sure a deal on agriculture and fisheries was tied into that mechanism too.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Xenon said:

I think that they will cancel A50 using a cross party majority of MPs at the last minute.

They won't allow no deal and they won't have another referendum (what would the question even be?).

That is also my expectation. A50 will be revoked and the question of whether this will be temporary or permanent will be left open. But the reality is that it will be permanent.
    I worry a great deal about the political turmoil that putting Remain on the ballot will cause.
    I think your suggestion is spot on. It honours the referendum result, and allows everyone a voice. From the EU's point of view, they'd rather we were Norway, rather than out altogether, as we'd Deal.
    A Hobson's choice to blackmail Remainers into backing a Norway-style deal was always the plan of certain people, but putting it in a referendum shows absolute contempt.
    Well, you can see it that way, or you can accept that there was a vote and Leave won. To revisit that question is, I am very sad to say, probably going to be explosive.

I write as a Remainer.

I don't like any of this, but seems to me, increasingly, that a period in Norway arrangement and then a revisit of the rejoin question is probably a better way forward.
    I think the betrayal narrative and conspiracy theories from a perioduch greater and do more long-term damage: "They're not letting us leave properly!"

When you add in the fact that project fear would have been discredited by a soft exit, and you have the perfect conditions for a far nastier Brexit 2.0.
    You may be right. There is no good answer on all this. Just various bad options of different degrees.

My guess is though, that enough Leave voters, sick to the back teeth of

Norway means no control of EU immigration and continuing contributions to the EU - both glaring red lines for any Leave voters.
    How do you know what the "red lines" of every leave voter are? Is it just the vibe?
    Quite. ‘Any’ would be substituted for “some”. I’m happy that if our gvt enforced its existing power on immigration it could have curbed the free for all we’ve experienced over last fifteen years. And budget contributions to fund the integrity of the single market and its institutions doesn’t also seem unreasonable. I’m just not interested in funding Spanish highways and polish factories to bid for our manufacturing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed, the ECJ has gone out of its way to ensure the status quo ante is simply a phone call away.
    And a change in the UK law to prevent Leaving on March 28th 2019. Which requires a government bill and a majority vote of MPs in parliament.
This discussion has been closed.