Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 17th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,742
edited October 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 17th 2013

Dalston on Carlisle (Con Defence)
Last Local Election: Lab 27, Con 20, Lib Dem 2, Ind 2 (Labour overall majority of 3)
Result in ward over recent electoral cycle:
2010: Con 1,715 (47%), Lib Dem 1,241 (34%), Lab 658 (18%)
2011: Con 1,108 (49%), Lib Dem 500 (22%), Lab 478 (21%), UKIP 170 (8%)
2012: Lib Dem 1,033 (52%), Con 481 (24%), Lab 305 (15%), UKIP 174 (9%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,041
    edited October 2013
    First!

and a big thanks again to Harry for these!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Equal.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Equal.

Primus inter pares!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Thanks, Harry.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Harry, you're a prince.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Good evening, everyone.

Cheers to Mr. Hayfield for his hard work on this piece.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    Top drawer effort as always. One suggestion though - would it be possible to go back and add the actual results tomorrow to the header? It is not always easy to plough through a thread or two to find out what actually happened.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Re:Westbourne by-election. It is near me so here are a few more details: Mark Dunn (Conservative) is a former county councillor who was defeated by UKIP in May. There has been a lot of new housing development in the area and this has created a backlash and thought to have contributed to his defeat. It will be interesting to see how he gets on this evening.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Outrageous European Court ruling that bans bloggers free speech

by davidhencke

I am not one of those people who is by nature anti the European Court of Human Rights but a judgement reported on the authoritative Inforrm blog has made my blood boil.

Judges have made the extraordinary decision to hold news sites and blogs legally responsible for all the comments put up on their site even if they take them down after a complaint.

Effectively it means that any offended party can pursue a news organisation or blog for any defamatory comment made about them EVEN after it has been removed from the website.

http://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/outrageous-european-court-ruling-that-bans-bloggers-free-speech/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Johnno, who will rid us of this turbulent court?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,703
    edited October 2013
    FPT
    Next said:

The political re-edcation is progressing well, comrade Avery.

His exile in the far east (end) may becoming to a close when he learns to love Ed Balls as much as he does Edwardian sidings...

"A great day, comrades! We sail into history!"
    In the Hunt for Red October, from which you quote, the Captain was secretly defecting to the West...
    No comment :)
  • Options

Mr. Johnno, who will rid us of this turbulent court?

I don't know but tim will have to be gagged ;-)

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Ian Smart ‏@ianssmart 2m
    WORLD EXCLUSIVE! A preview of Eck's speech on Saturday pic.twitter.com/usNYTIfgDu
  • Options
    Thurrock, I was there today.

Having walked the 1922 route of the A13 earlier in the summer (which passed through North Stifford village as far as the disused Cuckoo Lane), I did the section of the A1306 between the M25 to Cuckoo Lane near the Treacle Mine roundabout (this was the A13 from 1925 to 1982). Earlier in the week, did the A1306 from the Purfleet By-pass (recently numbered A1090) to Wennington (B1335). This section was A13 from 1925 to 1998. Near the A1090 junction, the A1306 passes right next to HS1, but naturally the trains are too fast for successful photography!
  • Options
    Yet more cash going on a LAB gain in Fife next Thursday. Hills have cut their Lab price for the 2nd time today.

New best prices - Dunfermline by-election

Lab 1/3 (BetVictor, Betway)
    SNP 4/1 (William Hill)
    LD 89/1 (Betfair)
    Ind 100/1
    Grn 125/1
    UKIP 125/1
    Con 200/1
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Ian Smart ‏@ianssmart 2m
    WORLD EXCLUSIVE! A preview of Eck's speech on Saturday pic.twitter.com/usNYTIfgDu

Alex Salmond has said he plans to exploit the public service strikes in England as a powerful argument for Scottish independence in next year's referendum.

The first minister told the Scottish National party's annual conference that the contrast between the high levels of trust in his government and the industrial unrest erupting in the rest of the UK would become a pivotal issue in the referendum campaign.
    *cough*Grangemouth*cough*

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/17/alex-salmond-english-strikes-referendum
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    It looks like Fraser Nelson is trying to kill off a substantial proportion of the Telegraph's readership.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10385889/The-young-pay-a-heavy-price-for-the-support-given-to-the-elderly.html
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,036

Top drawer effort as always. One suggestion though - would it be possible to go back and add the actual results tomorrow to the header? It is not always easy to plough through a thread or two to find out what actually happened.

Seconded.

• Options

Seconded.

Thirded.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Tom_watson ‏@tom_watson 9m

Great to see: @HackneyAbbott Will be back on @bbcthisweek tonight with @afneil and Michael Portillo aka.. #SadManOnATrain. #bbctw

• Options
    edited October 2013

Great to see: @HackneyAbbott Will be back on @bbcthisweek tonight with @afneil and Michael Portillo aka.. #SadManOnATrain. #bbctw

Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who is the saddest one of all?

:)
  • Options

Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who is the saddest one of all?

Come back to us lad ;-)

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The Hunt For Ed October

Comrades! This is your captain! It is an honour to speak to you today! And I'm honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our Motherland's most recent achievement. And once more, we play our dangerous game. A game of chess... against our old adversary... the Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game... and played it well. But today, the game is different. WE have the advantage! It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Atlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our nationalisations. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our populism. The order is: engage the Energy Price Freeze!

Comrades! Our own activists don't know our full potential! They will do everything possible to test us, but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our activists behind! We will pass through the Conservative Party patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest parliamentary constituency, and listen to their braying and tittering... while we conduct anti-austerity debates! And when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the...comradeship.

A great day, comrades! We sail into history!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352

A lot of political noise about gas prices today but no one wants to talk about fracking. If the price of foreign gas is high, let's get fracking. And push the NIMBYs gas prices higher so they can put their wallet where their banners are.
  • Options
    It looks like Jeremy hunt as made most of the front pages.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/86750/the_daily_mail_friday_18th_october_2013.html
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Ian Smart ‏@ianssmart 2m

Panelbase Adults resident in Scotland
    Fieldwork dates: 23 - 28 August 2013

Net approval ratings

Alex Salmond: +11
    David Cameron: -45
    Ed Miliband: -46
    Nick Clegg: -53

• Options

The Hunt For Ed October

Comrades! This is your captain! It is an honour to speak to you today! And I'm honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our Motherland's most recent achievement. And once more, we play our dangerous game. A game of chess... against our old adversary... the Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game... and played it well. But today, the game is different. WE have the advantage! It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Atlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our nationalisations. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our populism. The order is: engage the Energy Price Freeze!

Comrades! Our own activists don't know our full potential! They will do everything possible to test us, but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our activists behind! We will pass through the Conservative Party patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest parliamentary constituency, and listen to their braying and tittering... while we conduct anti-austerity debates! And when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the...comradeship.

You will like the front of the mirror tomorrow then ;-)

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/86751/daily_mirror_friday_18th_october_2013.html
  • Options

The Hunt For Ed October

You will like the front of the mirror tomorrow then ;-)

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/86751/daily_mirror_friday_18th_october_2013.html
    Very good, Comrade!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

*cough*Grangemouth*cough*

The scottish tory surgers seem to want to forget what all this is about in an effort to save their chums in scottish labour from further embarrassment.

*cough*Falkirk*cough*
    Mr Deans - the man at the centre of the dispute - was involved in the row over the selection of a Labour candidate in Falkirk, where he is chairman of the constituency party.

He was suspended by Ineos and later reinstated, but is facing an internal investigation by the company over issues linked to the Falkirk affair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24546521
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    I wonder if Jo Swinson thinks it's ageist or patronising for a youngster to offer their seat on the bus or tube to a pensioner?
  • Options
    TUSC ‏@TUSCoalition

#solidarity with #Unite & Stevie Deans at #Grangemouth prep for strike action - what is #Labour going to do? This is bcos of #Falkirk! #TUSC
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

by davidhencke

I am not one of those people who is by nature anti the European Court of Human Rights but a judgement reported on the authoritative Inforrm blog has made my blood boil.

Judges have made the extraordinary decision to hold news sites and blogs legally responsible for all the comments put up on their site even if they take them down after a complaint.

Effectively it means that any offended party can pursue a news organisation or blog for any defamatory comment made about them EVEN after it has been removed from the website.

http://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/outrageous-european-court-ruling-that-bans-bloggers-free-speech/

A typically paternalistic, top-down type of judgement from the European Court.
  • Options
    Boehner Hoping To Remain Leader Of Republican Parties

WASHINGTON—After a 16-day-long government shutdown and a nearly averted financial crisis that left them with their lowest poll numbers in recent memory, Speaker of the House John Boehner told reporters Thursday that he hopes to remain the leader of the Republican Parties up until the 2014 midterm election and beyond. “It is my strong belief that the Republican Parties will remain the majority, especially in the House, for quite some time,” said Boehner, adding that it is an honor to serve as his parties’ standard-bearer. “In fact, I expect the GOPs to come back from this stronger and even more unified, and I hope to be at the forefront of that charge.” Boehner said his job would not be complete until a Republican from either Republican Party is once again in the White House.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/boehner-hoping-to-remain-leader-of-republican-part,34247/
    Not so much satire as bang on the money.

*chortle*

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870

The Hunt For Ed October

That's very good :) I hope Ed gets to read that - I'm sure it would amuse him as well as the wider political world.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Peter Oborne: "Nucular"!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870

It looks like Fraser Nelson is trying to kill off a substantial proportion of the Telegraph's readership.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10385889/The-young-pay-a-heavy-price-for-the-support-given-to-the-elderly.html

He is of course right in that we have come to a situation where the state is pretty much solely responsible for supporting a great many of the elderly. If they live longer it hurts the younger generation.

Even in a system whereby people might pay less tax in their lives and thus could (and should) accumulate wealth sufficient to pay for themselves in later life (an idea I'd roughly support) if the elderly live longer then it still hurts the young in that they have to wait longer and longer to inherit all this accumulated wealth.

I'm not sure that a campaign to encourage the elderly to hurry up and die would be that popular though.

It's often stuck me that pretty much the worst thing that could ever happen with regards to having a stable society would be the invention of a cure for aging.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Conservatives have held Chichester Westbourne which is a poor result for UKIP as they easily won the larger The Bournes CC seat in May .
  • Options
    35.8% turnout in Thurrock
    23.2% in Neath

Con hold Chichester ward
  • Options
    South Lakeland - Levens

LD 569 Con 430

LD Hold

• Options
    South Lakeland is a Lib Dem hold LD 569 Con 430
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "Westbourne on Chichester (Con Defence)
    Last Local Election (2011): Con 38, Lib Dem 8, Ind 2 (Conservative overall majority of 28)
    Result in ward at last election (2011): Conservatives 515 (62%), Liberal Democrats 315 (38%)
    Candidates duly nominated: Alicia Denny (UKIP), Mark Dunn (Con), Andrew Emerson (Patria), Thomas French (Green), Phillip MacDougall (Lib Dem)
    General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 7m

Tories win Chichester Westbourne, then UKIP, Greens, LibDems, Patria
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The alternative to getting people to die earlier, which I can see would not be a vote winner, is to get them to work longer before retiring. It is not tenable to have a retirement of 30 years after only 40 working years unless people save nearly half their earnings.

Call me a bit old fashioned, but I believe work is good for people, both psychologically and physically. Longer healthier working lives, and a shorter retirement, and much less of an immigration Ponzi scheme is the answer.
    Omnium said:

He is of course right in that we have come to a situation where the state is pretty much solely responsible for supporting a great many of the elderly. If they live longer it hurts the younger generation.

Even in a system whereby people might pay less tax in their lives and thus could (and should) accumulate wealth sufficient to pay for themselves in later life (an idea I'd roughly support) if the elderly live longer then it still hurts the young in that they have to wait longer and longer to inherit all this accumulated wealth.

I'm not sure that a campaign to encourage the elderly to hurry up and die would be that popular though.

It's often stuck me that pretty much the worst thing that could ever happen with regards to having a stable society would be the invention of a cure for aging.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

by davidhencke

EUSSR
  • Options
    Chichester - Westbourne
    Con 184 UKIP 106 Green 85 LD 68 Patria 3

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    British Gas director publishes 'Idiot's Guide to Consumerism':

"A price rise doesn't necessarily mean energy bills have to go up too. The amount you pay depends not on the price, but on how much gas and electricity you use."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10386817/British-Gas-tells-customers-to-use-less-as-it-ups-bills-by-three-times-the-rate-of-inflation.html

Thanks for that Ian!
  • Options
    Chichester Wetbourne result was
    Con 184 UKIP 106 Green 85 LD 68 Patria 3 - a very low turnout esp as the weather here has been balmy today .
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    If the energy companies were operating as a cartel - obviously they're not but if they were - then (apart from all the green taxes) the price of energy being below the European average would be seen as free money.
  • Options
    Political Animal ‏@politic_animal 8m

In conf speech, Clegg said they'd have stopped 'Go Home' vans if they'd been asked. If they're rolled out further, what are we to conclude?
    What indeed? The usual of course.
  • Options
    Labour win in Neath - Sandfields East
  • Options
    Neath full figures
    Lab 718 Residents 222 UKIP 154 Plaid 69 Con 40
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Even if pensioners have paid into the system all their working lives and in many cases have saved prudently rather than go on spending sprees?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942
    Labour councillor for Golcar ward in Kirklees has resigned due to 'demands of other interests.' He was only elected in 2012 taking the seat from the Lib Dems ( Lab 1729, LD 1584, Con 548, Green 490). Could be a rare example of a possible LD gain from Labour. By-election on November 21st.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Chichester Wetbourne result was
    Con 184 UKIP 106 Green 85 LD 68 Patria 3 - a very low turnout esp as the weather here has been balmy today .

Lol - a remarkably unpromising start for Patria, the ex-BNP relaunch. How sad.

• Options
    Labour hold Thurrock , UKIP 3rd
  • Options
    Thurrock

Lab 646 Con 570 UKIP 504 LD 35

Lab Hold
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That a 'Scottish' politician in a 'Scottish' seat, and the current FM in the 'Scottish' Parliament to boot, then polls better than three English politicians in English seats who sit in Westminster in a Scottish panelbase poll is hardly a surprise. Why not ask those surveyed which national football team they support, it would be about as useful. Is this the same 'outlier' panel base poll that saw the Yes vote jump into the lead by 1%? This poll is going to tell us the sum zero of nothing when it comes to deciding the result of the Indy Referendum or the next GE, both of which come before the next Holyrood elections. And even more importantly, it doesn't provide Salmond with a free pass when it comes to answering the questions on vital issues effected by Independence.
    Mick_Pork said:

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Ian Smart ‏@ianssmart 2m

Net approval ratings

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,338

Looks like a decent swing from Lab to Con.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Thurrock

Lab Hold

The Only Way Is Essex Ed!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

A lot of political noise about gas prices today but no one wants to talk about fracking. If the price of foreign gas is high, let's get fracking. And push the NIMBYs gas prices higher so they can put their wallet where their banners are.

What he said!!!
  • Options
    Curious that those wallowing in soldiers deaths right up until the tories came to power haven't highlighted this.
    Six British soldiers 'unlawfully killed' in Afghanistan

Six British army soldiers who died in an improvised explosive device (IED) attack in March 2012 in Afghanistan were "unlawfully killed whilst on active service", a coroner rules.

http://www.channel4.com/news/six-british-soldiers-unlawfully-killed-in-afghanistan
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,347
    Mick Pork Cameron Has higher ratings in Scotland than Ed Miliband, maybe not such a bad idea that he campaigns alongside Darling to save the union!

Also, saw Alexei Sayle tonight on his first stand-up tour for thirteen years, still as sharp and loud as ever, if mellowed a bit from the eighties
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Looks like a decent swing from Lab to Con.
    Yes swing Lab to Con from 2011 but very small swing Con to Lab from 2010 . Conservatives did win the ward in 2006
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dalston ld gain
  • Options
    PPP Louisiana Senate 2014

•Mary Landrieu (D) 48% [50%] (50%)
    •Bill Cassidy (R) 41% [40%] (40%)
    •Not sure 11% [10%] (10%)

PPP Arkansas 2014

•Mark Pryor (D) 44%
    •Tom Cotton (R) 41%
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    fitalass said:

That a 'Scottish' politician in a 'Scottish' seat, and the current FM in the 'Scottish' Parliament to boot, then polls better than three English politicians in English seats who sit in Westminster in a Scottish panelbase poll is hardly a surprise. Why not ask those surveyed which national football team they support, it would be about as useful. Is this the same 'outlier' panel base poll that saw the Yes vote jump into the lead by 1%? This poll is going to tell us the sum zero of nothing when it comes to deciding the results of the Indy Referendum or the next GE, both of which come before the next Holyrood elections.

Mick_Pork said:

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Ian Smart ‏@ianssmart 2m

Net approval ratings

The choice before the scottish public will be scottish rule or continued westminster rule.
    Merely wishing that the public won't be made very aware of that stark choice won't make it so. It absolutely will be made crystal clear.

I hardly expect scottish tory surgers to have a clue about trust or what that means for the Independence campaign. It is however comforting that they are as complacent as their chums in scottish labour who thought they had it in the bag for 2011 because they also considered the SNP a liability and that was in a campaign that wasn't cross party like Yes is.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    HYUFD said:

Mick Pork Cameron Has higher ratings in Scotland than Ed Miliband, maybe not such a bad idea that he campaigns alongside Darling to save the union!

Also, saw Alexei Sayle tonight on his first stand-up tour for thirteen years, still as sharp and loud as ever, if mellowed a bit from the eighties

Yes, well it makes about as much sense as Blair campaigning alongside Darling TBH.
    There's also the amusing fact that Brown has his own faction of "better together" which is the ironically named "united with labour" as quite a few in scottish labour are terrified of being seen as on the same side of the tories. Particularly after watching what has happened to the lib dems in scotland.

• Options
    Dalston
    Con 476
    Lab 186
    lib 506
    ukip 167
    green 27
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, well it makes about as much sense as Blair campaigning alongside Darling TBH.
    There's also the amusing fact that Brown has his own faction of "better together" which is the ironically named "united with labour" as quite a few in scottish labour are terrified of being seen as on the same side of the tories. Particularly after watching what has happened to the lib dems in scotland.

The Tories aren't doing too badly in Scotland, may not be moving upwards, but they aren't moving down. At least based on Baxter's YouGov aggregates which are conveniently offline at the moment.
  • Options
    MickPork True, but Cameron can at least make the odd appearance without the NO campaign having a coronary!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2013
    LD hold Barnfield - Luton
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Fox, totally agree, my Mum is now in her 70's and supposedly officially and comfortable retired. She happily worked past retirement age through choice, and only retired from her last job so she could devote herself to nursing my Dad through his last illness. Her energy and lifestyle is what keeps her so young and active! She now works in a charity shop two full days, as well as looking after my niece before and after school for my sister who works full time. My niece was very proud of her granny who was chosen to be one of the helpers at her school's recent sponsored ramble which turned out to be quite a challenge! As long as she has her ski sticks, my Mum would tackle a mountain hike. :)

The alternative to getting people to die earlier, which I can see would not be a vote winner, is to get them to work longer before retiring. It is not tenable to have a retirement of 30 years after only 40 working years unless people save nearly half their earnings.

Call me a bit old fashioned, but I believe work is good for people, both psychologically and physically. Longer healthier working lives, and a shorter retirement, and much less of an immigration Ponzi scheme is the answer.

Omnium said:

• Options
    edited October 2013
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories aren't doing too badly in Scotland, may not be moving upwards, but they aren't moving down. At least based on Baxter's YouGov aggregates which are conveniently offline at the moment.
    The ballot box is a sterner test and the last major and meaningful demonstration by scottish voters in 2012 showed that was an amusing but incorrect assumption. We'll see but I do know that the predictions of a scottish tory surge the last time proved to be hilariously incorrect. Nor do I expect any small changes in SCON VI or even flatlining to be a harbinger of a host of scottish tory MPs. (always remembering that even just getting two right now would double their numbers) ;)
  • Options
    Luton LD 674 Lab 635 Con 397 Green 63
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MickPork True, but Cameron can at least make the odd appearance without the NO campaign having a coronary!

Without some in the No campaign having a coronary. Darling was given a standing ovation by tory activists so he would probably be fine with it. Lamont or Brown ? I somehow doubt it.
  • Options
    Luton result LD 674 Lab 635 Con 397 Green 63
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Having suggested that Ed Miliband was now trying to position himself as a consumer watch dog this afternoon, it was interesting to note how often that Tristram Hunt used the word 'consumer' rather than voter on BBC QuestionTime this evening. As I pointed out at the time, that is the positioning of someone who would be better off as leader of the the Opposition benches rather than actually running the economy.
  • Options
    MickPork - Well who cares what Brown thinks, as if he is going to save the Union?
  • Options
    Let them eat cold pasties.

David Cameron under fire for reaction to British Gas fuel bill hike for almost 8 million customers

Poverty groups critical as PM tells public to switch suppliers after 9.2 per cent price rise

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-cameron-under-fire-for-reaction-to-british-gas-fuel-bill-hike-for-almost-8-million-customers-8885944.html
    We're all in this together.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    HYUFD said:

MickPork - Well who cares what Brown thinks

A big chunk of the scottish labour party. Falkirk didn't happen out of the blue after all.
    Their feud is ongoing, virulent and isn't about to end anytime soon.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It was one of the better QT's, though think the whole format a bit tired, Diane James was rather good. I can see her in Parliament, and a much stronger spokesman than Farage.

Will she stand in Eastleigh again? It must be one of their better chances.

fitalass said:

Having suggested that Ed Miliband was now trying to position himself as a consumer watch dog this afternoon, it was interesting to note how often that Tristram Hunt used the word 'consumer' rather than voter on BBC QuestionTime this evening. As I pointed out at the time, that is the positioning of someone who would be better off as leader of the the Opposition benches rather than actually running the economy.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

David Cameron under fire for reaction to British Gas fuel bill hike for almost 8 million customers

Poverty groups critical as PM tells public to switch suppliers after 9.2 per cent price rise

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-cameron-under-fire-for-reaction-to-british-gas-fuel-bill-hike-for-almost-8-million-customers-8885944.html

When was the power to control energy prices removed from the Government?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

Around the time the incompetent fop fell flat on face again after this cast iron price pledge
    Millions to see energy bills fall after David Cameron promises tariff reform

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html
  • Options
    MickPork Well he is no longer PM and the Scottish Labour Party will also need Tory and LD votes to save the union, Darling can head the No campaign, Brown should be kept as far away as possible
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

Around the time the incompetent fop fell flat on face again after this cast iron price pledge

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html

You are floundering. When was the power for the Government to control energy prices removed?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

You are floundering. When was the power for the Government to control energy prices removed?

I'm laughing at your frustrated desperation not floundering. Don't try to whine about controlling energy prices when Cammie self-evidently postured so ineptly on that very same subject.

"Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal."

LOL

• Options
    HYUFD said:

MickPork Well he is no longer PM and the Scottish Labour Party will also need Tory and LD votes to save the union, Darling can head the No campaign, Brown should be kept as far away as possible

I somehow doubt he'll listen. Besides, Lamont is slap bang in the middle of the Unite Falkirk Brown Blair feud and there's no way she can hide from it forever.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

I'm laughing at your frustrated desperation not floundering. Don't try to whine about controlling energy prices when Cammie self-evidently postured so ineptly on that very same subject.

"Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal."

LOL

You are now just gulping for air as your lungs fill with water. The Government currently has no powers to set the price of gas and electric. It used to however. When did this change happen?
  • Options
    Fox, if UKIP had more Diane James figures fronting the party, and less Nigel Farages, they would be taken far more seriously. And I suspect that they really would be in with a chance of breaking into Westminster politics as a result. I could see Diane James winning the right seat and becoming a Caroline Lucas like (Independent) figure within UKIP, but where would that leave Nigel Farage as a result? She must surely now be seen as a very serious contender to replace him as Leader at some point in the future, and that could make her more vulnerable to internal conflict as a result. She is definitely my bet for next UKIP Leader if she can navigate her way through the Farage maverick style of controlling UKIP's Leadership infrastructure unscathed. In fact, I would bet on Diane James chances of winning a Westminster seat being higher than those of Nigel Farage's right now.

It was one of the better QT's, though think the whole format a bit tired, Diane James was rather good. I can see her in Parliament, and a much stronger spokesman than Farage.

Will she stand in Eastleigh again? It must be one of their better chances.

fitalass said:

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    fitalass said:

She must surely now be seen as a very serious contender to replace him as Leader at some point in the future

I was surprised she didnt do better in the Euro selections.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

notme said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

You are now just gulping for air as your lungs fill with water. The Government currently has no powers to set the price of gas and electric. It used to however. When did this change happen?

I'm absolutely delighted with you continuing to highlight Cameron's and your own pathetic hypocrisy on the subject, I assure you.

The Government promised Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal. When will this happen?
  • Options
    MickPork He may not, but I doubt the No campaign will be putting him top of the bill at too many rallies, night!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Neil, look who she was up against on that list in the Euros. You have to ask yourself why anyone would want to join UKIP right now, especially with the way the party is run by Nigel Farage. Have to admit that as a long time Conservative supporter of over 30 years, I certainly don't find UKIP, or even Diane James a particularly appetising alternative. I would rather abstain than give my vote to them if I ever found myself unable to vote Conservative. But that doesn't mean I cannot spot a bit of talent in party I wouldn't naturally be inclined to vote for, I was the first poster here to highlight and talk up the skills of Jim Murphy as Scottish Secretary before the last elections. And look at the Labour GE result in Scotland as well as the early abuse I got from the Nats here as a result. :)

The usual knives were already out for Diane James before the UKIP Euros candidate selections...
    Daily Mail - Farage and another image foul-up as his own PR advisor's embarrassing emails on fellow UKIP members are leaked

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430264/Nigel-Farage-UKIP-image-foul-embarrassing-emails-leaked.html#ixzz2i1pnQ1WR
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Neil said:

fitalass said:

She must surely now be seen as a very serious contender to replace him as Leader at some point in the future

I was surprised she didnt do better in the Euro selections.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,162
    AndyJS said:

by davidhencke

A typically paternalistic, top-down type of judgement from the European Court.
    I'd love to have seen the court decide the right to free speech trumped everything else and remove the need for Mike to worry about getting sued for comments people make on his blog, but if they had done that on free speech grounds we'd have a bunch of people here upset at unwarranted interference in domestic British affairs. Britain should change its libel laws and Estonia should probably rethink its defamation provisions, but they seem like the kind of thing parliaments should be deciding rather than the court pulling a sweeping, general principle out of its arse.
  • Options
    UKIP polled 24.72% in yesterday's by-elections in the wards where they stood: 931 votes out of 3,766.
  • Options
    I think UKIP need to utilise the appeal of both Nigel Farage and Diane James in equal measure, (although perhaps to different audiences on occasion).
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I have a big bet at 10/1 that CON will win most votes at EP2014.

I think UKIP is going to be under a lot more scrutiny than it has been with a lot of focus being put on Farage's managerial style and attendance records of current UKIP MEPs.

LAB will, as it always does in these elections, find it difficult to get its vote out
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Never seen this before.... Can you see Ed Miliband being this enthusiastic a salesman for the UK, or can you see him more as a negative doom laden domestic consumer watch dog?
    David Cameron and Barack Obama enjoy 'fast and furious' basket... - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zL0Sz1IMg
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,338
    Diane James reminded me tonight of Ross Perot's VP running mate in 1992.

In the VP debates, whenever he had his 90 (or 120?) seconds to give his answer he would talk for about 35 seconds and then just stop. He couldn't fill the time as he very quickly ran out of things to say.

Watch Diane James very carefully - she is exactly the same. When she starts talking she sounds fine but very quickly she runs out of things to say. All she can do is make one or two very simplistic points and that's it - she is completely unable to develop a proper reasoned argument.
This discussion has been closed.