Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf catches the mood as the cold sets in

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,214
    Oh well, 8-0 it is at the final whistle. Today San Marino, tomorrow Montenegro - or at least on Tuesday!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @kle4 Gove comes over as a pompous twit. It was good to see Emily Thornberry sort him out on QT.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited March 2013
    Anyone have alist of DTI head honchos 1993- 2007, I'm trying to work out the full list for this shambles.

Anyway I note the 2 most recent ministers for energy were Huhne andEd Miliband... to be fair to Davey hes only just in the job and the fracking and stuff in the budget sounded popular, but hes basically got the hospital pass that Osborne and Darling both had with Brown being the outgoing Chancellor.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer - I've never encountered Ms Walker before but she writes interestingly.

Not sure I go along with her reasoning for McLaren's decline and i still expect them to improve a good deal as the F1 season progresses but i doubt they'll finish in the Constructors' top 3 or 4.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @MikeSmithson = lol,what QT were you watching.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    I've only read one piece by her before, Mr. Putney. It was about Australia as an F1 destination, and the lack (in some quarters) of approval for the sport there. Divided the comments pretty sharply.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @tim How can they introduce them when Labour already brought them in for immigrants?
  • Options
    @MikeSmithson - Well at least he was sufficiently lacking in pomposity to admit that he wasn't up to the job of ever becoming PM - along with a snide comment aimed at David Dimbleby about him never getting to be the BBC's D-G.
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan Labour had quite the merry go round ! Quite clear they didn't give a monkeys tbh.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,674
    @Mike Smithson

I find that interpretation rather odd to be quite frank. Pompous, perhaps, but he doesn't strike me as a twit, and Thornberry certainly didn't 'sort him out'- she had a good QT, I found her quite impressive, but Gove dealt with her points well; his flippant remark on its own would have been pitiful, but he immediately followed up with a quickfire and convincing (sounding) series of points, to frame her reaction in his own terms effectively. At worst, he came away entirely unbloodied by her remarks, and at best he put her in her place (though I think the paroxysms of joy about that being the case from some Tory commentators is probably overdone)

To be perfectly honest, I don't even see his pomposity being any more egregious than the usual level you see from many other public figures.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Gove comes over as a pompous twit. It was good to see Emily Thornberry sort him out on QT.

Blimey Mike, first you think Ed's childish rant after the budget was brilliant, now you are claiming Thornberry sorted out Gove? You must be the only person in the country that thinks so.

You obviously hate the Tories so much you have lost all semblance of rational thought, why do you hate them so much that you are prepared to make yourself look ridiculous?

• Options
    I'm related to Ms Thornberry by marriage. I thought her faux outrage was unappealing and I thought she was monstered by Horowitz. I don't believe she got the better of Gove, despite some Steve Walsh type refereeing from Dimbleby.
  • Options
    @peter from putney

"Well at least [Gove] was sufficiently lacking in pomposity to admit that he wasn't up to the job of ever becoming PM"

Now that I would dispute. There are various tactics to take when confronted about such an ambition, and denying one's own ability to be up to the job, is just the one he has decided to take I would bet good money (if I had any).
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
  • Options
    The ball is starting to do things on Day 2.... The bowl decision looks better and better. NZ 271/2...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited March 2013
    If Gove had the chance to become PM, does anyone seriously believe that he wouldn't take it? If a leading pol denies too strongly that they would like to be PM, you really ought to keep an eye on them.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I reckon Gove's pinning his hopes on a Boris/Gove dream team.
  • Options
    @Lucian_Fletcher

" The bowl decision looks better and better. NZ 271/2..."

Eh???
  • Options
    @Lucian Surely to god you bat first if you have a road on day 1 !
  • Options
    @kle4
    The old "I have no ambitions in that direction" dodge.
  • Options
    @blofelds_cat

Horowitz was great, he had some good lines, which is all I really want from the non-politician guests. Littlewood was the surprise for me, he also had some good lines, but also made me think a little more deeply.

Thornberry should be a more well known figure, however, - I'd forgotten I'd even seen her before, and she seems to have some high quality, even if the former would seem to contradict the latter point.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited March 2013
    Whatever one's views on this week's QT and Anthony Horowitz, Foyle's War, one of the greatest TV shows of recent times, returns to our screen this Sunday.
  • Options
    @Tim

I've voted LD multiple times and think Gove has significant abilities, so let's not force it into a 'PBTories are blind' thing. I've no doubt that by and large he is hated outside Tory ranks, and his reforms are not at all popular that's clear enough, so I don't even think he would be an asset electorally, but that's not the same as meaning one cannot think he has significant qualities even while not being a PBTory.
  • Options
    Tim - does your cleverly photoshopped coot-like image of David Cameron indicate that you expect him still to be PM in 8-10 years' time?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar It's a bloody astonishing decision. Even more that some of the commentators said it was the right call... They were backtracking by 1am...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If this country has to start rationing its energy supply, we truly will know the place is a busted flush. I think I'm going to emigrate in the next couple of years. There doesn't seem much to offer for ambitious under-35s here any more.
  • Options
    @peter_from_putney It's true. England will be bravely playing for a draw by the start of day 3.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TimGattITV: Ed Miliband to The Times about Hacked Off: "I know people are neuralgic about Hugh Grant, but forget the celebrities" http://thetim.es/10u04IZ
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited March 2013
    @peter_from_putney

I thought Tims avatar was a self portrait. A man to buy alco-pops off when he looks up from the computer.
  • Options
    @Socrates

So we do still have some ambitious under 35s in this country? Totally excellent result!

One day I hope to be one of them. For the moment the treasury is lucky I detest travelling and am poor with languages, so emigration remains low on my list of options.
  • Options
    Neuralgic?
  • Options
    @kle4 Even if you don't speak other languages, the rest of the Anglosphere is accelerating ahead.
  • Options
    @Socrates But you're 2,500 years old. Surely you have seen off plenty of thrusting young thirtysomethings?
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Test
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    @Socrates

That's where my detestation of travel comes in - I never even went to the Midlands until I was 15.

Five weeks in Australia nearly killed me!
  • Options
    Latest Betfair odds:

NZ ......3.8/1
    Eng.... 12.5/1
    Draw ..0.37/1
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Lucian_Fletcher

Neuralgic.

Ed showing his street cred, down with the kids stylee
  • Options
    @kle4

I thought Gove was on form on QT. I disagree with some of his ideas, but his mastery of his brief and articularcy are impressive. He has the competence factor that is lacking in some of his colleagues.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    England deserve to lose the series IMO as a result of their pathetic attitude in the final session yesterday when they couldn't be bothered to return to the field of play on time.
  • Options
    @Socrates - Sadly I think you're right. Where are you most likely to settle?

Actually I thought you already spent a large part of your time in the U.S. - possibly confusing you with another PBer.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Tim Gatt tweets: "Times: Miliband "admit[s] that his house in Dartmouth Park 'might well be' worth more than £2 million"
  • Options
    That's a seriously tiny crowd for a Test match, isn't it?
  • Options
    Why is pomposity a negative thing? We need a bit more pomposity in British politics IMO. Tony Blair spent his whole career trying not to be pompous and it didn't exactly make him one the best PMs we've ever had.
  • Options
    @AndyJS That was a shocking session of play that started badly and never got better. Monty has taken one.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    How did Cypriot banks become so insolvent? One aspect is that they were major victims of the Greek bailout some time back. The terms of that were that some holders of Greek govt debt were forced to take a haircut.

http://thecypruslawyer.com/cypriot-banks-in-the-aftermath-of-the-greek-haircut/cyprus-news/

So one bailout makes another inevitable.
  • Options
    @blofelds_cad

Sadly not far off the typical for most places thesedays.
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    edited March 2013
    @kle4 : I may be a bounder, but I'm no cad!
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    edited March 2013
    @AndyJS. My favourite was Milord Prescott trying to be pompous.
  • Options
    Thank God for that, Fulton has gone. There is 'test match pace', slow and then there is THAT.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    The Daily Wail recommends that if you want to avoid damage to your car in a car park you should give Vauxhall Vectras a "wide birth".
  • Options
    @Pulpstar I just said something very similar on Twitter. A man on 100+ in the fourth session of a Test match shouldn't be playing for a bloody draw!
  • Options
    @Blofelds_Cat It is more a stupidly big stadium for a Test in NZ. There were over 8,000 in yesterday and it looked empty. It was the venue for the Rugby World Cup Final. Daft choice of a ground.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I remember watching the January 1992 Auckland Test between NZ and England (it was the last overseas series shown on BBC before Sky took over) and the ground was so empty most of the time that every shot off the bat made an enormous echoing noise.

That was the match where Dipak Patel was run out on 99 after a bowled throw-in from the deep by Derek Pringle to Chris Lewis at the bowler's end. Brilliant decision by Steve Dunne IIRC.

Review of Steve Dunne's 2003 biography:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/124871.html
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Andrea -

"I know your MEP list will be decided at the Spring Conference. Do you know the exact timing of the announcement of results? So I can stay vigilant"

Alas no. If it's tomorrow I trust it will be well before 5pm, so I'm not distracted from the even greater excitement of Scotland playing in the semi-final of the world curling championship!
  • Options
    Fulton hit 3 sixes in his innings, which is 3 more than Jonathan Trott has managed in his entire test career.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread. Check the front pages with this widget.
  • Options
    @No_Offence_Alan Which in itself makes his dismal scoring rate so amazing! Boundaries are easy to find at Eden Park.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    RobD Well the Tories were wrong to oppose it on principle too as it offers more choice and better mandates for MPs
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    It is incredible, and I mean that in the exact sense of the word, not credible, hard to believe, that anyone could watch the debate between Gove and Thornberry on QT and think Thornberry came out on top
This discussion has been closed.