Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This questionnaire on the “Values and Identity” clans of GB is

2»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Quite, King Cole.

On-topic: interesting theory (clan over class) which, at first glance, I think holds water. I eagerly anticipate being confirmed as a grizzled Yorkshireman/debonair morris dancer.

Ha. I'm apparently in the 'Measured Middle'.

"The Measured Middle clan tend to have balanced social views, with high numbers opposed to open borders and multiculturalism. On social issues, they are fairly liberal, believing more needs to be done in order to achieve gender and LGBT equality, but are more conflicted on issues such as adolescents choosing their own gender identity. TMM are known for not having very strong political views."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

I did this a few days ago and came out as Orange Booker. I think it's because I found the loaded nature of some of the questions very irritating and opted for the neutral option in protest. I'm sure the approach is now correct - values over class - but found the questions very simplistic.

I was also surprised to come out as an orange booker (I've voted Labour in every GE since 1983, albeit reluctantly on occasion - 2017 particularly). It caused me to reflect on why it is I tend to agree more with moderate, pragmatic Tories and LDs than I do with the politicians I tend to vote for. However, the reason I've never voted Tory is I absolutely cannot abide the Bill Cash, JRM, Gerald Howarth, Andrew Budgen types who are so prominent in the party. I find them and their views so repulsive that ultimately in a forced choice I opt for the Trots.
    I was the mirror opposite - a long term LibDem voter who came out as a mix of Global Green and Common Sense Solidarity, which the analysis says are both strong Corbyn bases. I have sympathy with many of Labour's priorities but don't vote for them because they simply aren't liberal. The quiz didn't appear to pick this up.
  • Options

I am Measured Middle.

What ever that means. Centrist Dad?

you couldn't be arsed to express any strong opinions?
  • Options

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Off thread, my wife and daighters arrived home today to find that some sort of hawk* had brought down a dove on our drive and was defiantly and grimly picking over its carcass. They got about five feet from it before it reluctantly flew off, leaving a big patch of white feathers and a bloody mess behind, returning to its kill once they had gone into the house. I'm no darkages soothsayer, but as an augury it wasn't encouraging. My oldest daughter described it as a 'once-in-a-lifetime experience', which was probably true if not the way that particular idiom is normally used.

*May not have been a hawk. Some sort of massive carnivorous bird, at any rate. The victim was definitley a dove, though.

I have a friend who's a professional magician* and he keeps doves. I asked him why magicians always make doves appear and not other birds.

"Wait here" he said, and went out to his back garden to fetch a dove.

He then demonstrated how a dove would consent to being rolled into a small ball and stuffed into a pocket. "No other bird is like that," he added.

* He's also a realtor. Because everyone is LA is also a realtor.
    LOL yeah good luck trying to roll up an owl against its will . . . :D
    Ha ha - there is apparently a minor fashion at weddings for having rings delivered by owl. Which would admittedly look spectacular, if pointless, if it worked. But seemingly normally it does not work: you just end up with an owl sat indiffernetly amongst the high beams of the church or other venue, holding on to its rings, while the ceremont is interrupted by someone trying to coax it down with a bit of meat. One of humanity's sillier ideas.
    We had an owl deliver the rings at our wedding. It went flawlessly and was a complete surprise to all our guests, we hadn't told anyone we'd be doing it except the people involved.
    Next people will be expecting a unicorn to come trotting in with the ring over the end of its horn
  • Options
    Damn. I'm a Global Greeny.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Off thread, my wife and daighters arrived home today to find that some sort of hawk* had brought down a dove on our drive and was defiantly and grimly picking over its carcass. They got about five feet from it before it reluctantly flew off, leaving a big patch of white feathers and a bloody mess behind, returning to its kill once they had gone into the house. I'm no darkages soothsayer, but as an augury it wasn't encouraging. My oldest daughter described it as a 'once-in-a-lifetime experience', which was probably true if not the way that particular idiom is normally used.

*May not have been a hawk. Some sort of massive carnivorous bird, at any rate. The victim was definitley a dove, though.

I have a friend who's a professional magician* and he keeps doves. I asked him why magicians always make doves appear and not other birds.

"Wait here" he said, and went out to his back garden to fetch a dove.

He then demonstrated how a dove would consent to being rolled into a small ball and stuffed into a pocket. "No other bird is like that," he added.

* He's also a realtor. Because everyone is LA is also a realtor.
    LOL yeah good luck trying to roll up an owl against its will . . . :D
    Ha ha - there is apparently a minor fashion at weddings for having rings delivered by owl. Which would admittedly look spectacular, if pointless, if it worked. But seemingly normally it does not work: you just end up with an owl sat indiffernetly amongst the high beams of the church or other venue, holding on to its rings, while the ceremont is interrupted by someone trying to coax it down with a bit of meat. One of humanity's sillier ideas.
    We had an owl deliver the rings at our wedding. It went flawlessly and was a complete surprise to all our guests, we hadn't told anyone we'd be doing it except the people involved.
    Next people will be expecting a unicorn to come trotting in with the ring over the end of its horn
    Only after Brexit...

Though alternatively the four horsemen of the apocalypse could be ring bearers!
  • Options
    Mr. Stopper, must be why you fight fires.

"Carbon dioxide emissions? Not on my watch."
  • Options

So am I!

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    Those who have come out as OB's -probably a majority on here having read the thread- face a difficult choice. That puts them almost exactly midway between May's Tories and Corbyn's labour though sufficiently distant from both to find either acceptable.
  • Options

I did this a few days ago and came out as Orange Booker. I think it's because I found the loaded nature of some of the questions very irritating and opted for the neutral option in protest. I'm sure the approach is now correct - values over class - but found the questions very simplistic.

I ma a bit perplexed to be a Global Green - but I guess it's because of all the questions they did not ask. I wonder whether the algorithm gives equal balance to every question. I would have thought that my support for military intervention abroad in some circumstances would immediately disqualify me from sharing a world view with Jeremy Corbyn and Caroline Lucas!

However, what is interesting is that I am potentially someone that the Labour party could expect to be a strong supporter. And yet I would never vote Labour while Corbyn and the far left control the party.

• Options

So am I!

I've always said I could vote for your idea of a Labour party!
  • Options
    Points 3 and 4 definitely wrong!
    5 key facts about those in the GGC Clan

More likely to read left-wing broadsheets such as The Independent & Guardian/Observer
    More likely to cite the Environment and Healthcare/the NHS as key societal concerns
    Very strongly in favour of remaining part of the European Union
    Tend to be strong supporters of the Labour party and the Corbyn administration
    Strongly against the idea that economic growth should be prioritised over the environment
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    new thread
  • Options
    F1: just checking yesterday's practice times. Verstappen topped both. If you backed him at 5.6 (he lengthened a little) on Betfair, you can now hedge at 2.66.
  • Options
    F1: ha. Raikkonen for pole has gone from 10 to 21, though.
This discussion has been closed.