Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at the 2010 CON voters whom Cameron has to win back

13»

Comments

• PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

Iain @Iain_33
    everytime I see Simon Burns I think of time he crashed into Bercow's car & Bercow saying "I'm not happy" Burns replied "which of 7 are you?"
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Neil said:

So the population of the UK will just continue to get bigger and bigger then...

In the latest projections the UK population is expected to grow with or without immigration (which is obviously difficult to make assumption about).
    Exactly, so it's effectively a ponzi scheme of population. Which is fine as long as that works, but then eventually it will, as all schemes do, fall apart...
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

JamesLyons ‏@MirrorJames 12m
    George Osborne's claim that 160m Chinese watch Downton has baffled ITV and NBC Universal (who own the production company)

He's been spouting it all morning on every channel, you'd think someone with a grasp of figure would've got to him by now.

Truly this scandal will undermine the entire trip if not even result in Osborne's resignation.

Want another bet on him still being Chancellor in the new year despite the cumulative effect of the Downton / tears at Thatcher scandals?

Exactly, so it's effectively a ponzi scheme of population. Which is fine as long as that works, but then eventually it will, as all schemes do, fall apart...

What do you think is going to happen - the UK gets so crowded that people are squeezed off the cliffs at Dover?

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546
    tim said:

Daily Politics - Government are scaremongering re immigrants

Whol'd have thunk it

"· The “non-activity” rate among EU nationals in Britain is 30%. For UK nationals it is 43%;"

Looks like they were including students, pensioners and partners of rich French bankers looking after the children as unemployed.
    TBF the Telegraph didn't actually specifically say they were unemployed. They just threw the actual numbers for pensioners and students together with percent increases for unemployment and waited for people with poor reading comprehension to show up thinking they'd finally found evidence to support their predjudices.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

What the hell is Osborne on about claiming 160 million Chinese people watch Downton Abbey.
    Thats more obviously made up nonsense than his 2010 forecasts

I see there's some massive scandal brewing on PB. Not just we PBTories who provide so much light entertainment on here.... are you Brucie?

Nice to see you.
    Neil said:

What do you think is going to happen - the UK gets so crowded that people are squeezed off the cliffs at Dover?

Well that's taking it to extreme though, but clearly its going to have an impact upon housing (surprise surprise)..the need for water, electricity, food..

As a green surely you of all people can see the problems that will lead to.
  • R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Plato said:

That Red Cross revelation reminds me of the MacMillan incident at PMQs a couple of years ago, whereby the head of MacMillan's PR (I believe) was a Labour chap who had collaborated with Red Ed to score some political points.

I'd forgotten about that - but it did make me cancel my DDebit at the time. It never does charities good in the end - look at the mess the RSPCA are in.
    Woah there! You cancelled donations to MacMillan because you thought their head didn't support your preferred political party?

Are you aware of the work that particular charity does? I just hope you never find yourself in need of their help, though luckily for you they wouldn't sink to your levels.

Lower than a snake's belly. Genuinely repulsive.
    tim said:

tim said:

What the hell is Osborne on about claiming 160 million Chinese people watch Downton Abbey.

I see there's some massive scandal brewing on PB. Not just we PBTories who provide so much light entertainment on here.... are you Brucie?
    "Osborne often quotes his hero LBJ to the effect that the first rule of the politics is to know how to count."

I'm not sure that quoting a figure used in both the express and the telegraph has anything to do with counting. Unless you were wanting Osborne to do a survey of mainland china, which might take him a while...

tim said:

tim said:

"Osborne often quotes his hero LBJ to the effect that the first rule of the politics is to know how to count."

I'm not sure that quoting a figure used in both the express and the telegraph has anything to do with counting. Unless you were wanting Osborne to do a survey of mainland china, which might take him a while...
    All statistics should be run by tim in advance before being used.
    R0berts said:

Plato said:

That Red Cross revelation reminds me of the MacMillan incident at PMQs a couple of years ago, whereby the head of MacMillan's PR (I believe) was a Labour chap who had collaborated with Red Ed to score some political points.

I'd forgotten about that - but it did make me cancel my DDebit at the time. It never does charities good in the end - look at the mess the RSPCA are in.
    Woah there! You cancelled donations to MacMillan because you thought their head didn't support your preferred political party?

Are you aware of the work that particular charity does? I just hope you never find yourself in need of their help, though luckily for you they wouldn't sink to your levels.

Not really... Plato could have easily used that same money to pay to a different charity which does just as brilliant work...
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

Neil said:

In the latest projections the UK population is expected to grow with or without immigration (which is obviously difficult to make assumption about).
    Yet you appear to want to stop Brit pensioners moving abroad and young workers moving here, bizarre economics.

Don't listen to tim on immigration,he's not to bothered if the population hit 90 million(As he as posted),yes folks,thats another 30 million people in England with birthrates up as well,the tim's of this world,who think this way, are mad.

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364

I was always under the impression that OAPs who go to Spain still draw their pension from the UK and spend it abroad. Overall, a net loss for the UK. Why is that some sort of killer fact about immigration? Not that I claim to be an expert on this.

A lot of East European people send a lot of the money home. So we could have a local unemployed lad working instead and spending his money on good old British alcohol and drugs instead.

I can see why the farmers/factories approve, and the Poles are often good Catholic lads, but the economics aren't all one way.

R0berts said:

Plato said:

Not really... Plato could have easily used that same money to pay to a different charity which does just as brilliant work...
    Fair point.

And of course we can all choose which charities we support, for whatever reasons we want, it's a free country.

Still pretty repulsive behaviour in my opinion though, sorry.
    edited October 2013
    That scores 1/10 for trolling.

I decided not to give more of my money to a charity because it indulged in political stunts. I had given them money to provide care to the terminally ill with cancer, which killed off both my parents in their 60s.

It's very simple - if you're a charity - don't play politics. It's done the RSPCA irreparable damage. There are plenty of alternative charities with lower pay bills for their Ch Execs and more focus on what they were founded to do.

Do try harder next time - you're doing Labour's Nasty Party image great credit.
    R0berts said:

Plato said:

ROberts,

"Lower than a snake's belly. Genuinely repulsive."

You don't get out much, do you? Hyperbole is never convincing.
    Neil said:

tim said:

tim said:

Well, statistics found in British newspapers should be run by someone who knows how to read newspapers properly and understand what they're actually saying, not what they want you to think. The fact is that a lot of people here can't do that, and the same people get fooled over and over again.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2013
    CD13 said:

I was always under the impression that OAPs who go to Spain still draw their pension from the UK and spend it abroad. Overall, a net loss for the UK. Why is that some sort of killer fact about immigration? Not that I claim to be an expert on this.

I suspect [also not an expert!] that the healthcare costs assumed by Spain go a long way - if not all the way and beyond - to cancelling out the transfer of UK pensions to the Spanish economy.

• TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Neil said:

All Labour policies are ponzi schemes - all of them.

Neil said:

tim said:

tim said:

Well, statistics found in British newspapers should be run by someone who knows how to read newspapers properly and understand what they're actually saying, not what they want you to think. The fact is that a lot of people here can't do that, and the same people get fooled over and over again.
    Ah.. I sense a Royal Charter creating the role of Statisticsfinder General...

There wouldn't be a paper running or a journalist writing which doesn't use stats in a 'questionable' way to support their argument or view..
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

All Labour policies are ponzi schemes - all of them.

What's more telling is there doesn't seem to be argument posted that this isn't the case...

edited October 2013
    SeanT said:

R0berts said:

Plato said:

The repulsive people are these £300k a year charity bigwigs who drift from the Labour party to lefty quango to nice jobs at the RSPCA etc, without any obvious qualifications apart from their political affiliation.

UGH.

There should be a stipulation that any senior charity executive have no active, significant role in politics, nor any history of such. Same goes for NHS execs. If they do, then they are not running a charity they are running a company of lobbyists, and any charitable status should be withdrawn.

They are all parts of THE BLOB. The BLOB - the enormous mass of pointless smelly lefty middle mediocrities, from education to health to charities to the BBC, who have done nothing with their nasty little lives other than spend other people's money - is what's killing Britain.
    The Blob is perfect - coined by Gove IIRC - starring Steve McQueen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUsyXQ8Wrs

• perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

It's amazing the number of Labour types who if they are not in the public sector are in the third sector, begging for money and redistributing it. I'm not saying their efforts are never worthwhile but it would be interesting to know of some who are creating wealth by making and selling widgets.

Neil said:

tim said:

tim said:

Ah.. I sense a Royal Charter creating the role of Statisticsfinder General...

There wouldn't be a paper running or a journalist writing which doesn't use stats in a 'questionable' way to support their argument or view..
    Sure, the point is that you need to read the articles properly to a avoid getting conned.
    tim said:

tim said:

Neil said:

Yet you appear to want to stop Brit pensioners moving abroad and young workers moving here, bizarre economics.

Don't listen to tim on immigration,he's not to bothered if the population hit 90 million(As he as posted),yes folks,thats another 30 million people in England with birthrates up as well,the tim's of this world,who think this way, are mad.

tim said:

Neil said:

You're quoting Boris Johnson on the 90 million

You posted something similar on the 90 million,so lets get the truth then matey,would it bother you if Englands population hit 90 to 100 million in a number of years with just immigration.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,344
    edited October 2013
    Re Red Cross, MacMillian....lets not forget Dame Elisabeth Hoodless, at the time the outgoing head of Community Service Volunteers, who was given free platform on the likes of the BBC to go nuts about how "massive cuts" were destroying everything..

She also told a a big fat whopper when asked on live air about being political in any way and his wasn't challenged on this at all.

The fact she was former Labour councillor in North London, and a long-term Labour party member seemed to pass by all those researchers at Beeb.
    Man alive.

Reading the outpourings of hardcore grassroots Tories on PB makes me sympathise with, or even warm to, David Cameron.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    People complain about Guernsey getting crowded. If the UK had the same population density, there would be 195 million of you......If we take the same density as the Netherlands you get 120 million.

The issue is not numbers per se, but crap governments which have done feck all about housing or infrastructure.....

Sean T,

"No head of a charity should make more than £100k. If they do, take away their charitable status."

I'd agree with that. It's a senior admin job and it's the reason why I cancelled my direct debit to "Save the Children" and moved it elsewhere. It's crowded here under this snake's belly. Still give money to MacMillan, though.

Now Stalin and Hitler might be close to being lower than a snakes belly. Or would that only be Hitler, as Stalin loved his mother?
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

The Tories should be announcing a new welfare state based on proven contributions, not the universal just-hand-it-out system we have now.

It would be very very popular amongst ALL their swing voters from centre-left to UKIP-right. Why don't they do it?

Benefits tourism would be ended overnight, because it would be literally impossible.

We do already have contribution-based jobseeker's allowance. I think there was a Labour policy wonky head advocating a return to contributory benefits, as a way to deflect Tory attacks on welfare. Something very non-specific in this BBC News article.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,344
    edited October 2013
    SeanT said:

"Research has found that 30 of the top 100 earners in British charities were paid more than £200,000 a year and nine were paid more than £300,000.

"The average pay across the top 100 was £208,000 to £216,000 a year, according to research earlier this year by Third Sector magazine which examined their most recent annual reports and accounts for 2011 or 2012."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10236183/Nine-British-charities-paid-staff-over-300k-each-last-year.html

Read that again: NINE charities were paying top staff over £300,000 a year, the AVERAGE in the top 100 charities, for CEOs etc, is £210,000 a year.

It is obscene. These aren't charities. These are bleeding nipples at which the lampreys of the Left suck yet more money from the hapless, average, impoverished Brit.

No head of a charity should make more than £100k. If they do, take away their charitable status.

This isn't just a UK problem, you want to see what some of the top people in is US charities get....

Starter for 10...

American National Red Cross
    Gail J. McGovern
    Top Pay: $1,032,022

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/14/charities-11_American-National-Red-Cross_CH0013.html

Puts old David "International Rescue" Miliband's package to shame.
    I'm asking you tim,not Thatcher,again,on just immigration,how many more people do you think England can take in before the full signs go up - 90 million ? more ?
    edited October 2013
    SeanT said:

tim said:

@SeanT

The highest payers are that famous nest of lefty vipers private health organisations, private health hospitals and private health clinics.

"It found that the two highest-paying charities were the London Clinic, a Harley Street-based hospital, where one executive received between £990,000 and £1m in 2011.

The next biggest pay-out was at Nuffield Health, which runs private hospital, clinics and fitness centres across the UK.
    The analysis showed that where David Mobbs, the charity’s chief executive, was paid between £850,000 and £859,000 in 2011."

I'm with you on stripping them of charitable status.
    Go Comrade!

Then you can move on to the Public Schools.

I'd take away the charity status of public schools tomorrow.
    Why? The parents have already paid for their kids to be educated via taxation, and are now paying again after tax because they feel the State has failed them.

That seems pretty reasonable charitable usage to me since they're paying twice and creating jobs/more employable offspring. I'd say the same for private health users too but that's more complicated as its not a finite service.

And of course many public schools also offer outreach and facilities to the State sector - its not offered the other way AFAIC which is perverse.
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

Millsy said:

Just as important as those two big groups (current Ukip and former LD) - the "disenfranchised" right and left - is the bigger group of people that don't bother to vote for anyone, even one of those protest alternatives. With turnout at the last 3 elections at 65% or less that's 35% of the electorate that couldn't be bothered with any parties that were on offer. With Ed going left and Dave going right, and leaving the mushy centre to the Lib Dems, some of these people might actually like what they see!

Trouble is, Millsy, the non-voters comprise quite a wide range. Some of them are those who see no point in stirring themselves, since "round here" Labour (especially) will always win. Some are vague sort of anarchists who have somehow got on the register but "don't vote, it only encourages them". Some are making a genuine protest because "round here there's no-one anywhere near my views!" Or "they are all the same"!

It's notable that in N Ireland, where very often people care very deeply turnouts are much higher, and in spite of suggestions about questionable practices, such as voting early and often, I suspect that these figures are genuine.
    You raise good points, but the average turnout between 1945 and 1997 was 76.3% and since then it has been 61.9%. That's a 14% drop.
  • tim said:

New thread

But same old same old....
This discussion has been closed.