Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day closer to March 29th 2019 – the way forward on Bre

2»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932

I did not know there was a Bolton in Cumbria. The only one I know is in NW Manchester
    This map just gets better the more you look at it, key marginal Saffron Walden has moved into Norfolk !
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Bercow going "next summer" - BBC
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    tlg86 said:

I did not know there was a Bolton in Cumbria. The only one I know is in NW Manchester
    Probably mixed it up with Bolton Abbey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Abbey_(village)
    I recall from a TV show that a palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob. Hope this helps
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

Probably mixed it up with Bolton Abbey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Abbey_(village)
    I recall from a TV show that a palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob. Hope this helps
    I like that aibohphobia is an irrational fear of palindromes.
  • Options
    Bercow going...I will believe it when I see it...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

I think America is on the left hand side of the Laffer curve

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1051928954695749632?s=19

I assume the deficit isn’t at 17%. I don’t suppose you have the actual numbers on hand?
    $779 billion deficit.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Electric is going to so serious harm to them, if not kill them outright, if it ramps up quickly
    When is the first battery factory capable of supplying a mass market electric vehicle planned to start producing in Europe ?
    Five years' time ?

And much of their legacy engineering will be useless.

There are two elements to the battle - drivetrain efficiency and battery capability.

On drivetrain efficiency there didn't seem to be a battle. If the motor was poor or the car has the aerodynamics of a brick simply increase the battery size. It didn't matter that Tesla built huge cars because they had a big battery which charged quickly. Jaguar looked at the Tesla model, have tooled up to build an SUV (iPace) which is woefully inefficient just as the Koreans manage to create a drivetrain which sips power (Kona/Niro). Audi look set to follow Jag with a huge expensive inefficient SUV

On batteries its just just about size. Nissan dropped a 40kWh battery into the Facelifted Leaf but due to poor thermal management and cost-engineering meaning no active temperature management of the battery (no fan/heater) the car is a donkey unable to match smaller packed competitors.

The big European manufacturers are nowhere, with the efforts they plan to release in 2020 likely to match what is available from Asia now not what will be available in 2020. Ze Germans decided to fake an entry, greenwashing PHEV's with no EV range into existing cars only for WLTP to kill them. And Ford, PSA/Vauxhall are nowhere.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Southend West ?!

10,000 majority !
    It's A mess.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    edited October 2018
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

I assume the deficit isn’t at 17%. I don’t suppose you have the actual numbers on hand?
    $779 billion deficit.
    Thanks! So ~3.5%? Not terrible, but clearly not moving in the right direction!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The article seems to suggest either/or choice of Confidence vote or referendum. Don't see why we couldn't have multiple confidence votes - every time the PM hits a milestone and fails/makes no progress we could table a vote, forcing Tory/DUP members to make a decision when they are their highest point of anger with the PM
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Scott_P said:
    Think I suggested that yesterday. It seems a logical conclusion and there are definitely opportunities given the extreme positions on Brexit.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,998
    Utterly off-topic but some here will appreciate it.

If there isn't a tweet there is always a video

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1052191332897357824
  • Options

Bercow going...I will believe it when I see it...

The palindrome of Bercow is reknaw. Doesn't sound as good as Notlob
  • Options
    O/t first day of my son's economics competition today. Out of 1700 teams from all around the UK they are currently 5th. Long way to go of course but the top 500 make the next round.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

O/T it seems that Nevada might be moving out of reach for the Democrats now.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Southend West ?!

10,000 majority !
    It's A mess.
    yeah, Kemi for sure has gone

Just a majority of a 24,966 (41.0%)!!!!!

The waves will take us all before the red peril makes it that far
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. L, best of luck to the Son of David.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,047
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I am halfway through reading the Cox report. It is withering.

Why she needs her homework marked by some other "independent" body beats me. Those who are suggesting yet another review are doing so in order to avoid confronting what she says and what it means for them. As well as being bullies they are cowards.

There is much in this report for other organisations to digest and learn from.

Do you have a linky, please?
    https://www.cloisters.com/images/Bullying-Harassment-HOC-Staff-Oct-2018.pdf

You will be able to read my own thoughts on this in my work blog later today.
    Thanks to you and Carlotta.

I hope you'll link to your piece on here when it's done.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I haven't really been following Nevada, it seems to have slipped slowly, glacially, inevitably away from the Dems. Is there a story that goes with it? Harry Reid's machine being dismantled?
  • Options
    eek said:

Utterly off-topic but some here will appreciate it.

If there isn't a tweet there is always a video

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1052191332897357824

Ermmm....to be fair to Trump...will shower in a mo as feel dirty....in that video he is talking about deals with individuals over real estate. That isn't what most people would describe as "financial interests" with the Saudi (state).

Its a bit like saying you have no financial interests with the Russia, but you have flogged Roman Abramovich some real estate. I think it is fair to say you don't.

That all been said, would we be surprised if he had.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,347

Scott_P said:
    The article seems to suggest either/or choice of Confidence vote or referendum. Don't see why we couldn't have multiple confidence votes - every time the PM hits a milestone and fails/makes no progress we could table a vote, forcing Tory/DUP members to make a decision when they are their highest point of anger with the PM
    Reading the article, it looks as though the proponents are MPs keen to avoid a soft Brexit vs No Brexit choice. I don't think there's much point at the moment - it would push the rival Tory factions together.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Nigelb said:

Electric is going to so serious harm to them, if not kill them outright, if it ramps up quickly
    When is the first battery factory capable of supplying a mass market electric vehicle planned to start producing in Europe ?
    Five years' time ?

And much of their legacy engineering will be useless.

There are two elements to the battle - drivetrain efficiency and battery capability.

On drivetrain efficiency there didn't seem to be a battle. If the motor was poor or the car has the aerodynamics of a brick simply increase the battery size. It didn't matter that Tesla built huge cars because they had a big battery which charged quickly. Jaguar looked at the Tesla model, have tooled up to build an SUV (iPace) which is woefully inefficient just as the Koreans manage to create a drivetrain which sips power (Kona/Niro). Audi look set to follow Jag with a huge expensive inefficient SUV

On batteries its just just about size. Nissan dropped a 40kWh battery into the Facelifted Leaf but due to poor thermal management and cost-engineering meaning no active temperature management of the battery (no fan/heater) the car is a donkey unable to match smaller packed competitors.

The big European manufacturers are nowhere, with the efforts they plan to release in 2020 likely to match what is available from Asia now not what will be available in 2020. Ze Germans decided to fake an entry, greenwashing PHEV's with no EV range into existing cars only for WLTP to kill them. And Ford, PSA/Vauxhall are nowhere.
    Battery tech can be commoditised. I can't see the large car manufacturers [successfully] moving into battery production or development. Tesla has a leading edge here, and I think Musk would happily sell batteries to all and sundry given a long-enough contract.

Ze Germans - and all other 'legacy' car makers - should concentrate on the packaging and handling and spend all their efforts re-writing their Big Book Of How To Design A Car. Engine at the front; boot at the back? In the bin. Working around where you 'know' the steering and transmission linkages are? Take it to the tip. Reserving space for the exhaust? Consign to the round file. Etc, etc.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

O/t first day of my son's economics competition today. Out of 1700 teams from all around the UK they are currently 5th. Long way to go of course but the top 500 make the next round.

How does an economics competition work?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Deleted - Beaten to it.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited October 2018

The Conservatives would never lose Thirsk and Malton in North Yorkshire .It is true blue in every sense
    How the sun made that assessment makes no sense.
    York Outer would be a better bet.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/53651
    "In CBO’s projections, budget deficits continue increasing after 2018, rising from 4.2 percent of GDP this year to 5.1 percent in 2022 (adjusted to exclude the shifts in timing). That percentage has been exceeded in only five years since 1946; four of those years followed the deep 2007–2009 recession. Deficits remain at 5.1 percent between 2022 and 2025 before dipping at the end of the period, primarily because some tax provisions are scheduled to expire under current law, boosting revenues. Over the 2021–2028 period, projected deficits average 4.9 percent of GDP; the only time since World War II when the average deficit has been so large over so many years was after the 2007–2009 recession."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,347

Tim_B said:

Had trouble getting to sleep last night so I listened to radio 4 (Today program) instead of my usual World Service.

3 phrases were hammered into my head over the next 30 minutes - 'universal credit(?)', Brexit, and 'back stop'. Other than brexit they were all new to me.

Is it really that FUBAR over there?

Yes
    Well, yes. But I'm not sure that the fact that you've never heard of Universal Credit or the backstop issue tells us more than that you aren't following UK politics closely. No reason why you should, but the issues are genuine conundrums - the former risks devastating some low-income families as a side-effect of generally positive moves, the latter is the key Brexit issue.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The only interesting thing about it is the media finally picking up on what Big G pointed out on here straight away more than 24 hours ago, May handing no deal over to parliament.

What doesn’t help Britain is the political commentators in old fashioned British print and TV media, columnists, commentators like Peston etc, are shit. They are slow. They don’t grasp the key points. They dine out on their next exclusive interview, that’s all. They don’t serve the public.
  • Options

DavidL said:

How does an economics competition work?
    You make up forecasts. The one which gathers the most opprobrium from Brexiteers or Climate Deniers gets ranked highest.

The competition has been going on for several years now.
  • Options

Is he the guy who killed the giant with the slingshot?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

$779 billion deficit.
    In fairness it would be pretty remarkable if a tax cut generated sufficient additional activity/profits to pay for itself in year one. 5 years would be a better time period. But I do think Trump is being reckless with the deficit.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Scott_P said:
    The only interesting thing about it is the media finally picking up on what Big G pointed out on here straight away more than 24 hours ago, May handing no deal over to parliament.

What doesn’t help Britain is the political commentators in old fashioned British print and TV media, columnists, commentators like Peston etc, are shit. They are slow. They don’t grasp the key points. They dine out on their next exclusive interview, that’s all. They don’t serve the public.
    Well, no, apart from the BBC they absolutely don't 'serve' the public. That's what a Free Press is. And it should be cherished.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Elizabeth Warren's attempt to prove her Cherokee 'heritage' continues to crater spectacularly and amusingly
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    Mr. B, no, that *was* David. I think.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I am halfway through reading the Cox report. It is withering.

Why she needs her homework marked by some other "independent" body beats me. Those who are suggesting yet another review are doing so in order to avoid confronting what she says and what it means for them. As well as being bullies they are cowards.

There is much in this report for other organisations to digest and learn from.

Do you have a linky, please?
    https://www.cloisters.com/images/Bullying-Harassment-HOC-Staff-Oct-2018.pdf

You will be able to read my own thoughts on this in my work blog later today.
    Thanks to you and Carlotta.

I hope you'll link to your piece on here when it's done.
    155 pages....searches for executive summary....nope... Hmm.... decides to wait for @Cyclefree
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Meanwhile Elizabeth Warren's attempt to prove her Cherokee 'heritage' continues to crater spectacularly and amusingly

Jesus, if we are going to go back 10 generations to find one part heritage, pretty much everybody is part everything.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

I haven't really been following Nevada, it seems to have slipped slowly, glacially, inevitably away from the Dems. Is there a story that goes with it? Harry Reid's machine being dismantled?
    It's puzzling. It's a purple State, and Heller is not especially popular or unpopular, but this should be a better year for the Democrats than 2012 when it was last contested.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    edited October 2018
    Anorak said:

Battery tech can be commoditised. I can't see the large car manufacturers [successfully] moving into battery production or development. Tesla has a leading edge here, and I think Musk would happily sell batteries to all and sundry given a long-enough contract.

Ze Germans - and all other 'legacy' car makers - should concentrate on the packaging and handling and spend all their efforts re-writing their Big Book Of How To Design A Car. Engine at the front; boot at the back? In the bin. Working around where you 'know' the steering and transmission linkages are? Take it to the tip. Reserving space for the exhaust? Consign to the round file. Etc, etc.

Indeed. We already have a few battery makers selling the same pack to different manufacturers. Nissan sold their in-house battery production, and my understanding is that the LG 64kWh pack bound the Leaf is the same LG 64kWh pack in both the Kona and Niro. Mass production of a modular pack should give different space/size options which manufacturers then build their cars around, much as Tesla did so brilliantly.

Which then leaves the car manufacturers to do the bits they are good at - packaging, comfort, convenience. I suspect that the majority of EVs will continue to platform share with ICE variants for now - Mitsubishi and Hyundai have done this brilliantly, as have Nissan with a Leaf they build on the same line as Jukes. As ICE drops in sales volume thats where we will see the real innovation in packaging.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

Titter...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1052168909665824769
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    Read: Trump wins big time on this one. Avenatti is bad news
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Tim_B said:

Is he the guy who killed the giant with the slingshot?
    That was a piece of cake. Picking winners out of 150 shares, that's a proper challenge. One of their shares they researched and selected is up 7% today.

I'm revisiting my retirement plans at the moment.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    Horseface & Avenatti vs Mushroom Dick it is.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Anorak said:
    Horseface?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Titter...

Trump's plainly in a good mood today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

Anorak said:
    Horseface?
    Apparently Trump's native american name is Sleeps With Horses.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Titter...

Assuming that Trump is an 'average' European American, it's likely he has more Indian heritage than Elizabeth Warren, who has substantially less Native American DNA than the average European American. Even the Cherokees have utterly disowned her.

It's hard to imagine how this could have gone worse for her.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,998
    edited October 2018

Anorak said:

Indeed. We already have a few battery makers selling the same pack to different manufacturers. Nissan sold their in-house battery production, and my understanding is that the LG 64kWh pack bound the Leaf is the same LG 64kWh pack in both the Kona and Niro. Mass production of a modular pack should give different space/size options which manufacturers then build their cars around, much as Tesla did so brilliantly.

Which then leaves the car manufacturers to do the bits they are good at - packaging, comfort, convenience. I suspect that the majority of EVs will continue to platform share with ICE variants for now - Mitsubishi and Hyundai have done this brilliantly, as have Nissan with a Leaf they build on the same line as Jukes. As ICE drops in sales volume thats where we will see the real innovation in packaging.

I read a comment on the Hyundai Kona electric which seems to confirm it has the same battery issues the Leaf has (no battery temparature management) so I suspect they are the same pack.

It's surprising that the issue hasn't been picked up and resolved though but I suppose in the rush to get cars out on the market it shouldn't be.

I do suspect that tomorrow I will be collecting my last non-electric car...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

It's puzzling. It's a purple State, and Heller is not especially popular or unpopular, but this should be a better year for the Democrats than 2012 when it was last contested.
    My hunch has always been that the Democrats are repeating the Ed Miliband strategy: just screaming and screaming about how bad the incumbent is (very often with good cause), without actually giving an alternative agenda. But, usually, that strategy just doesn't get the voters out.

I'll defer to the people paying more attention to US politics than me, but what exactly are the Democrats' big causes at the moment? I've only seen a bit about extending Medicare (and even the details on that are quite vague), but little else.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

Anorak said:
    Horseface?
    or hung like one.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Fast forward to 2030....and Bercow's office will still making similar statements....
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

Anorak said:

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1052213711295930368 ???????????????

Horseface?
    I think we have a winner!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Andrew said:

RobD said:

"In CBO’s projections, budget deficits continue increasing after 2018, rising from 4.2 percent of GDP this year to 5.1 percent in 2022 (adjusted to exclude the shifts in timing). That percentage has been exceeded in only five years since 1946; four of those years followed the deep 2007–2009 recession. Deficits remain at 5.1 percent between 2022 and 2025 before dipping at the end of the period, primarily because some tax provisions are scheduled to expire under current law, boosting revenues. Over the 2021–2028 period, projected deficits average 4.9 percent of GDP; the only time since World War II when the average deficit has been so large over so many years was after the 2007–2009 recession."
    & @RobD

The numbers for the budget deficit quoted are through to end September. The CBO just upped their forecast for 2018 deficit to 4.4% of GDP and for 2019 to 5.1%.

Do you know how many years between 1947 and 2007, the US had a deficit above 5%?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

The numbers for the budget deficit quoted are through to end September. The CBO just upped their forecast for 2018 deficit to 4.4% of GDP and for 2019 to 5.1%.

Do you know how many years between 1947 and 2007, the US had a deficit above 5%?
    I stand corrected.. not even moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

My hunch has always been that the Democrats are repeating the Ed Miliband strategy: just screaming and screaming about how bad the incumbent is (very often with good cause), without actually giving an alternative agenda. But, usually, that strategy just doesn't get the voters out.

I'll defer to the people paying more attention to US politics than me, but what exactly are the Democrats' big causes at the moment? I've only seen a bit about extending Medicare (and even the details on that are quite vague), but little else.
    Impeach Trump.
    Impeach Kavanaugh.
    Launch investigations on everything Trumpian.
    Increase taxes
    Repeat
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

It will end in tears. But not until after Trump is re-elected.
  • Options
    eek said:

I read a comment on the Hyundai Kona electric which seems to confirm it has the same battery issues the Leaf has (no battery temparature management) so I suspect they are the same pack.

It's surprising that the issue hasn't been picked up and resolved though but I suppose in the rush to get cars out on the market it shouldn't be.

I do suspect that tomorrow I will be collecting my last non-electric car...

Kona has active thermal management, Leaf does not. Leaf 40kWh battery chemistry is different to the LG packs used by Hyundai as well. Having watched various long term and long rage tests with both the Kona and Niro is various temperatures I'm not aware of problems.

As for your last comment I am in full agreement. We ran a Leaf 24kWh for 3 years and I want to replace my company Outlander PHEV with a full EV now that long range is available at normal prices. Looks like a list of 3 - Kona, Niro, Leaf (with the bigger LG battery and active thermal management)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    It's particularly worrying when you look at Gross Fixed Capital Formation as a percentage of GDP. (Which is investment plus inventory build.)
    Switzerland     25%
    Sweden 25%
    Norway 24%
    Austria 24%
    Ireland 23%
    Belgium 23%
    Finland 23%
    France 23%
    Spain 21%
    Germany 20%
    Netherlands 20%
    UK 17%
    We have low levels of investment growth, off already low levels of investment.

The tables we are top of are growth in consumer debt, proportion of income spent, current account deficit, and consumer spend as a percentage of GDP.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Anorak said:
    I so hope Avenatti runs in the DEM primaries.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

Even if your kid wins the economics competition?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Anorak said:
    I so hope Avenatti runs in the DEM primaries.
    He could make Biden look reasonable
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

I was talking about the USA. They are exploiting their safe haven status to basically rip off the rest of the world by selling dollars that should be discounted in their future value. The easiest way out of this sort of deficit/debt is inflation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's particularly worrying when you look at Gross Fixed Capital Formation as a percentage of GDP. (Which is investment plus inventory build.)
    Switzerland     25%
    Sweden 25%
    Norway 24%
    Austria 24%
    Ireland 23%
    Belgium 23%
    Finland 23%
    France 23%
    Spain 21%
    Germany 20%
    Netherlands 20%
    UK 17%
    We have low levels of investment growth, off already low levels of investment.

The tables we are top of are growth in consumer debt, proportion of income spent, current account deficit, and consumer spend as a percentage of GDP.
    Yay, yellow boxes are back! We have a lot wrong with our economy but is there an argument that you need a lot more GFCF if you are specialising in high end manufacturing as opposed to services such as finance, law, accountancy etc. ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

I was talking about the USA. They are exploiting their safe haven status to basically rip off the rest of the world by selling dollars that should be discounted in their future value. The easiest way out of this sort of deficit/debt is inflation.
    Send him over here - we need him! I have 4 spare bedrooms. We have RobD here already, but he's been about as much use as me.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    given Coveneys reliability this probably means parts of Europe are getting tired of the Irish border.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/tnaiste-dismisses-claim-some-in-europe-want-brexit-border-issue-postponed-37426591.html
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Well, no, apart from the BBC they absolutely don't 'serve' the public. That's what a Free Press is. And it should be cherished.
    That’s the most dangerous nonsense I have ever heard. The definition of a free press being cherished just because it’s free, no quality angle on it at all. If something’s rubbish, it’s rubbish. Rubbish can’t be defended on the grounds it’s a free society, so they are entitled to keep their job and you can’t crticise them for being rubbish. That’s not freedom, you're getting confused with anarchy.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

Send him over here - we need him! I have 4 spare bedrooms. We have RobD here already, but he's been about as much use as me.
    Unfortunately I know bugger all about economics, other than it is bad when some numbers are bigger than others, but sometimes good.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

Unfortunately I know bugger all about economics, other than it is bad when some numbers are bigger than others, but sometimes good.
    Sounds to me like you've got all the essentials down.
  • Options
    Wonder if fatty Fergus will be marching for a people's vote:

https://www.property118.com/stopped-letting-properties-fergus-wilson/

• Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

If your number is 1/1024, and everyone else's number is bigger, for you it's not good. I predict that the nickname 'Pocahontas' is here to stay for the 2020 election.
  • Options
    BTW, I must acknowledge that @Alastair_Meeks is right as usual. We have much more dangerous dictatorships than the EU to worry about. Real threats to our way of life, like Fitbit. I am off to do my 250 steps before the hour is up.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

Going to be mid 80s, but 1/2/3 years?
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    Paul Johnson's chart shows the change in business investment rather than the absolute amount of business investment.

More relevant would be new busines investment as a proportion of the existing stock of business investment by country.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    DavidL said:

BTW, I must acknowledge that @Alastair_Meeks is right as usual. We have much more dangerous dictatorships than the EU to worry about. Real threats to our way of life, like Fitbit. I am off to do my 250 steps before the hour is up.

Even Mussolini couldn't get people to stand up ten minutes before the hour and wave their hands around.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    Pulpstar said:

Wonder if fatty Fergus will be marching for a people's vote:

https://www.property118.com/stopped-letting-properties-fergus-wilson/

It's an ill wind and all that... I think he's just making excuses. He was trying to sell his whole portfolio a while ago.
  • Options
    Just announced - Elizabeth Warren's official campaign song 2020...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RghKdGn8h5A
  • Options
    New thread, comrades.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

If a journalist said sky’s green grass is blue, we would both defend them on grounds in free society they are entitled to say that, but they are still talking rubbish. That’s where you have embarrassed yourself. It’s not just the state media serving the people, The quality angle in all journalism is what serves the people. In free society we can call out their mistakes, and call them rubbish, in philosophical construct you put forward, it doesn’t need quality in all journalism to serve the people.
    It’s an important lesson you need to learn, because instead of “sky’s green grass is blue” it could be “greed driven gospels” or “communism”.
    People like you have no idea what made Britain great in the first place.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

& @RobD

Economics - The Dismal Science.

The phrase "the dismal science" first occurs in Thomas Carlyle's 1849 tract called Occasional Discourse on the Negro Question, in which he argued in favor of reintroducing slavery in order to restore productivity to the West Indies:

"Not a "gay science", I should say, like some we have heard of; no, a dreary, desolate and, indeed, quite abject and distressing one; what we might call, by way of eminence, the dismal science.[2]

It was "dismal" in "finding the secret of this Universe in 'supply and demand".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    The key development was yesterday when May announced if she cannot reach agreement with the EU she will hand the decision on what to do next over to Parliament
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Ouch!

This cycle of repeatedly reacting to crises only after they have developed into crises, and sometimes only after unwelcome publicity, is a perilous approach to adopt for any organisation, but it is completely hopeless for a place of work.

She has obviously read Cyclefree's 10 Stages of a Crisis, which I have posted on here before. That is standard MO for most organisations caught up in problems.

See, for instance, banks, Oxfam, News International, the police, the NHS.
This discussion has been closed.