Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where will the next Thatcher come from?

Comments

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Roger said:

If any banker was thought to be sufficiently unworthy to keep his knighthood just read this!

What a piece of work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Thatcher

But Sir Mark Thatcher doesn't have a knighthood.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    This being PB I think OGH should enable a few other options :

1. Moderate "tim"
    2. Nick Palmer for LotO
    3. Huzzah for the Coalition
    4. More repeats of 1979 SNP losses
    5. Repel LibDems from Harpenden
    6. More LibDem canvassers in Auchentennach
    7. A peerage for AH Matlock
    8. Mike Smithson "Thining Here"
    9. Free the Nuala One
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Reading about Mark Thatcher led me to the Wikipedia page for the ruling party of Equatorial Guinea -

"The PDGE has little in the way of a platform or guiding ideology, aside from encouraging foreign investment in the oil sector. Some of the few other tenets of the PDGE are militarism and anti-separatism (which often amounts to Fang chauvinism)"

Sounds like New Labour.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    JackW said:

Can he share it with JohnO?

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Aha- it appears you can (now?) only give one reaction. Interesting.
    I wonder what happens if you mark something as Troll.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Chris_A said:

Roger said:

If any banker was thought to be sufficiently unworthy to keep his knighthood just read this!

What a piece of work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Thatcher

But Sir Mark Thatcher doesn't have a knighthood.
    AFAIK Sir Mark's only son is an American citizen. Doesn't that mean he can't inherit the title, and if so, what happens to it?
  • Options
    @OldKingCole

"AFAIK Sir Mark's only son is an American citizen. Doesn't that mean he can't inherit the title, and if so, what happens to it?

There is no bar to foreigners succeeding to hereditary titles.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Freggles said:

Also, aren't "Agree" and "Disagree"AND "Like" excessive?
    The Likes are good for rewarding funny posts but otherwise serve to polarize opinion IMO.

It is possible to both disagree with a post but find it likeable - for example, funny posts.

I think the 'Agree' button could save us some redundant posts too.

Now if only we had a 'CammieOsbrownFop' button for Pork....save him a lot of time...

Poor old Pork.

His biggest problem is not the reactions of other posters but getting onto to the thread in the first place.

Both I and James, his most loyal supporter, have tried to help by counselling him not to attempt entry sideways.

Unfortunately he hasn't listened to his friends and often gets his hindquarters stuck in the doors. The result is all too frequently a gullible mess.
  • Options
    "Both I and James, his most loyal supporter, have tried to help by counselling him not to attempt entry sideways."

I beg pardon?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Who's been mixing some Acid with the Vanilla?

Actually, the new features are a bit like Disqus on speed...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Tiger gets a 2 shot penalty for an improper drop on 15 yesterday. He just avoided being DQ.

A TV viewer alerted the club, they reviewed a tape of the incident while Tiger was playing 18 and decided there was no penalty.

Then they saw Tiger's post round TV interview, and based on what he said, decided he had gained an advantage, met with him and assessed the 2 shot penalty.

Before this would have meant instant DQ, but with the new rule they decided to assess the penalty.
  • Options
    JackW said:

@OldKingCole

"AFAIK Sir Mark's only son is an American citizen. Doesn't that mean he can't inherit the title, and if so, what happens to it?

I thought Americans couldn't have titles?
  • Options
    Neil said:

JackW said:

Can he share it with JohnO?

Neil, you need to submit nomination papers.

A short paneqyric entitled "The Story of O" should suffice.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    @JamesKelly

Seth O Logue is trying for what passes for humour among incompetent Cameroonian spinners. He has to try after tipping Lansley to be PM lest anyone mistake his posts for being anything other than inept spin.

The amusing tea party tories whine when we post and whine when we have other things to do and don't post. The common factor is whining which they love almost as much as faux outrage.

Now if only we had a 'public relations idiot' button for the incompetent spinners....save the site a lot of time..
  • Options

"Both I and James, his most loyal supporter, have tried to help by counselling him not to attempt entry sideways."

I beg pardon?

Become a Tory, James, and you could give up begging for ever!

• Options
    Where will the next Thatcher come from?

I doubt there willbe another Margaret Thatcher. Such greatness is rare.

How long before there’s another female PM?

I've no idea. Until women get past the feminist entitlement agenda and demonstrate they actually want to represent all of the population they are never going to appeal to more than half of the electorate (and thats without even thinking about political partisanship).
  • Options
    "Become a Tory, James, and you could give up begging for ever!"

Alas, Thatcherism is a luxury that so few of us can afford.
  • Options
    @OldKingCole

"I thought Americans couldn't have titles?"

I believe you're confusing honorary titles awarded to foreigners with hereditary titles that pass by patent/lineage. A number of US citizens have had honorary knighthoods but are not entitled to the prefix "Sir"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    JackW said:

@OldKingCole

I believe you're confusing honorary titles awarded to foreigners with hereditary titles that pass by patent/lineage. A number of US citizens have had honorary knighthoods but are not entitled to the prefix "Sir"

I stand corrected. Thank you.

• Options
    JackW said:

@OldKingCole

If the person in question is the son of a UK citizen, even though born in the US,that person is probably entitled to British citizenship.

My daughter acquired a British passport in that manner.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Vanilla is still better than Disqus.
    Even with the constipation icon.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

JackW said:

@OldKingCole

If the person in question is the son of a UK citizen, even though born in the US,that person is probably entitled to British citizenship.

My daughter acquired a British passport in that manner.
    I have two grandaughters born in Thailand, whose mother is Thai and father (my son) is British. They have dual nationality and therefore both British and Thai passports, and consequntly come into UK with their father and go back into Thailand with their mother! With two small children it saves on the queueing!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Malcolm.

They are polling the same place where the SNP have a lead in the polls.

See the third graphic down here

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/02/13/the-latest-ipsos-mori-polling-on-scottish-independence/

TSE, yes but only down to Don't Knows, in first past the post Salmond is miles ahead.
  • Options
    "TSE, yes but only down to Don't Knows, in first past the post Salmond is miles ahead."

And for any self-respecting Tory, that's all that should count.
  • Options
    Further ....

The present Duke of Atholl (the 12th and with 12 other subsiduary peerages) and head of the only official private army in Europe is a South African citizen.
  • Options

JackW said:

@OldKingCole

I thought Americans couldn't have titles?
    Isn't the Presidency hereditary?
  • Options
    @oldkingcole

Both myself and my daughter have dual US/British citizenship, and my wife is in the process of doing the same - 5 passports for 3 people is not enough :-)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Ben Bradshaw criticises Exeter Chiefs decision to hold a minutes silence for Thatcher
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-22125412
  • Options
    Loving the new buttons -time for a tea party methinks:)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tiger gets a 2 shot penalty for an improper drop on 15 yesterday. He just avoided being DQ.

A TV viewer alerted the club, they reviewed a tape of the incident while Tiger was playing 18 and decided there was no penalty.

Then they saw Tiger's post round TV interview, and based on what he said, decided he had gained an advantage, met with him and assessed the 2 shot penalty.

Before this would have meant instant DQ, but with the new rule they decided to assess the penalty.

He should have been in the club house, cheating means disqualification but they have decided to ignore it using a dodgy ruling to ensure they keep getting the cash in, shameful and hopefully would never be allowed here.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Malcolm.

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/02/13/the-latest-ipsos-mori-polling-on-scottish-independence/

TSE, yes but only down to Don't Knows, in first past the post Salmond is miles ahead.
    The thing is, Salmond had a net positive rating of 35% in December 2011 and a lead over a Lamont of over 30%.

Both have evaporated.

Now whether this is a trend or just a blip, time will tell.

Salmond's net ratings slipped to single figures a few years ago but he maintained a lead over Iain Gray.

So past performance shows Salmond can recover his mojo.
  • Options
    514 results in and the Beeb is still under-predicting the majority by 18.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Malcolm.

The thing is, Salmond had a net positive rating of 35% in December 2011 and a lead over a Lamont of over 30%.

Both have evaporated.

Salmond's net ratings slipped to single figures a few years ago but he maintained a lead over Iain Gray.

TSE , yes I agree his momentary blip will disappear but to put jimmy Krankie ahead just because of Don't Knows when Alex is miles ahead on Likes is just a unionist trick. She had 37% to his 50% so still miles behind in my book and unbelievable that they found so many Labour donkeys to get her to that level.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Malcolm.

Both have evaporated.

TSE , yes I agree his momentary blip will disappear but to put jimmy Krankie ahead just because of Don't Knows when Alex is miles ahead on Likes is just a unionist trick. She had 37% to his 50% so still miles behind in my book and unbelievable that they found so many Labour donkeys to get her to that level.
    It's not a unionist trick.

There's academic research showing it is much better to compare net ratings as against absolute positive ratings.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @MalcolmG

The rule was put in place precisely to avoid this - trial by TV. It's to give players some protection.

It's not dodgy at all.

2 shots seems reasonable. They didn't DQ him because they had already reviewed the incident once while he was still playing and ruled there was no infraction. The info they needed didn't come until after the round when he incriminated himself.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Malcolm.

Both have evaporated.

It's not a unionist trick.

There's academic research showing it is much better to compare net ratings as against absolute positive ratings.
    TSE, you cannot convince me it is a conspiracy
  • Options
    Swing from Tory to Labour of 1% in Scotland
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

@MalcolmG

The rule was put in place precisely to avoid this - trial by TV.

It's not dodgy at all.

Tim, cheating is cheating , he should be in the club house, anybody else would have been.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Further ....

The present Duke of Atholl (the 12th and with 12 other subsiduary peerages) and head of the only official private army in Europe is a South African citizen.

And the premier baron of Ireland, the 36th Lord Kingsale, (which whom I was at College when he was plain Mr de Courcy), is a New Zealand citizen. He inherited from a very distant cousin and was extremely fortunate in that his grandfather was born almost nine months' posthumously.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    Another finely observed and elegantly-written article from David H.

It's probably too late for Yvette now, isn't it? In all probability, the next leader of the Labour Party will be someone who is currently more junior than her. It could well be a woman, but it's too early to speculate.

Depending on what happens in 2015, the same may be true of the Conservatives.
  • Options
    "Now whether this is a trend or just a blip, time will tell."

Either way, the fact that the SNP remained miles ahead in the same poll ought to tell you something.

I think it's necessary to take a common sense view here. If, and it's a big if, Salmond is still SNP leader in 2016, he will be a bigger net asset to his party than Lamont will be. You don't need a poll to tell you that.
  • Options
    Tim, cheating is cheating , he should be in the club house, anybody else would have been.

If he'd been told the ruling while still playing, it would have been a 2 shot penalty.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Please can we get rid of the likes. It was better without them, removed some of the grandstanding.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013
    Northern Eco's recap of Thatcher's years

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/indepth/margaret_thatcher/herlifeandtimes/

Northern Echo's leader calling for North East to retain dignity and not celebrate her death even if they all suffered because of her.
    http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/comment/10344665.Retaining_our_dignity/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

@MalcolmG

The rule was put in place precisely to avoid this - trial by TV.

It's not dodgy at all.

Was it a conspiracy when same the polls showed Alex Salmond ahead for so long?

• Options
    Wondering if the Scots vote yes whether people will be allowed to have dual British/Scottish nationality.
  • Options
    One of the options available to Tiger was to drop the ball as close to his previous location as possible. Initially he was judged to have done so.

However in his interview he said intentionally dropped it a couple of yards behind the spot. That's an incorrect drop - 2 shot penalty.

If he had signed an incorrect score card - instant DQ.

33-7 is in place to protect players from unintentional errors, or if information comes to light after the fact, as happened here.

There was a case quite recently of a player playing a ball in the water, and moving a rock with his foot to get a batter grip. The next day a TV viewer called in, the play was reviewed, and THEN the guy was DQed for signing an incorrect scorecard after 2 shots were assessed on him the next day while he was playing his round. That's what the rule is there to stop.
  • Options

"Now whether this is a trend or just a blip, time will tell."

Either way, the fact that the SNP remained miles ahead in the same poll ought to tell you something.

I think it's necessary to take a common sense view here. If, and it's a big if, Salmond is still SNP leader in 2016, he will be a bigger net asset to his party than Lamont will be. You don't need a poll to tell you that.

Mid term it is useful to look at Leadership ratings as a better predictor than VI.

Remember when Labour led the SNP but at the same time Iain Grey trailed Alex Salmond in the net Leadership ratings?

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Not sure I agree with the like or disagree buttons.

Will only make things more tribal.
  • Options
    Now covering the Silly Party. Was this a forerunner of the Loonies?
  • Options
    IOS said:

Not sure I agree with the like or disagree buttons.

Will only make things more tribal.

People played to the gallery and you had little cliques pile in behind the same old faces. Ultra tedious.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The Liverpool Echo was dragging up basically everyone to comment this week

Derek Hutton of Militant: “I would not want to celebrate another human being’s death, or feel sorry for another human being’s family when their relative dies.
    “But I have to say that I regret that she was born and what she did to Liverpool and most work communities in the country.
    “I regret that Thatcherism lives on in the policies of this government. I think it will be there for a long time, if we could not defeat Thatcherism in the 80s it is highly unlikely to happen in 2013.”

Edwina Currie (who was born in Liverpool and so she qualifies to be in the local paper): “I am sad to see her go. She was a very good leader and a great Prime Minister.

“I accept she was a hugely controversial figure but that was because she brought about such enormous change in the country, getting it up and running again.
    “You can’t do that without treading on toes.
    “My home town was behind the times and in the control of militants and that was to its detriment because money was lost for the area.
    “Industries like shipbuilding suffered greatly.
    “A whole of businesses were lost because the unions of the day couldn’t be trusted to deal with management and make business profitable.
    “Margaret Thatcher was determined that was not going to happen in the country at large.”

(no mentions of eggs)

Don't miss quotes by all possible Merseyside MPs, former MPs, the chairman of Liverpool Conservatives, Shaun Woodward, the Royale Family actor, the Hillsbrough Association, a lady who washed Thatcher's hair in the 70s and so on:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2013/04/08/mersey-politicians-and-campaigners-react-to-news-of-margaret-thatcher-s-death-100252-33138116/

• Options
    Chris A - Some policies, legalisation of cannabis, banning UK entry in Eurovision, increasing pensions, not that silly at all. I see Johnathan King, th dj, stood in 79 too
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Please don't bring the likes back. Wall to wall Plato just ruins the site and without being able to preen herself on the likes means she only posts if she's got something to say.
  • Options
    @ TimB

Agreed, it was a good rule change, Tiger hasnt been treated any more favourably than another player would have been.
  • Options
    I post mainly on a tablet, and all these new buttons are so easy to tap by accident. I'm liking posts left, right and centre by mistake!
  • Options
    @Roger

Yeah right - Plato is clearly the only person on here who posts too often!
  • Options
    what the off topic button does?
  • Options
    "Mid term it is useful to look at Leadership ratings as a better predictor than VI."

Yes, because as we know Harold Wilson won the 1970 election, and James Callaghan won the 1979 election.

The reality is that you're praying in aid a single poll in which Lamont had a tiny lead on net ratings, and in which Lamont had a much larger number of Don't Knows.
  • Options
    @TwistedFireStopper">I post mainly on a tablet, and all these new buttons are so easy to tap by accident. I'm liking posts left, right and centre by mistake!

Two options - get a bigger tablet or smaller hands!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    The Freedom Association are holding a "Tribute" event after Mrs Thatcher's funeral at the Pavilion End pub.

"Confirmed speakers include:
    STEVE BAKER MP (Conservative)
    NIRJ DEVA MEP (Conservative)
    MARTIN DURKIN Producer of 'Margaret: Death of A Revolutionary' (Channel 4, Saturday
    13 April 2013 - DON'T MISS IT!)
    COUNCILLOR DONNA EDMUNDS (UKIP)
    COUNCILLOR JP FLORU (Conservative)
    DANIEL HANNAN MEP (Conservative)
    MARK LITTLEWOOD Director General, The Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA)
    MATTHEW SINCLAIR Chief Executive, The TaxPayers' Alliance
    MARK WALLACE Political campaigner, blogger, writer
    Other great speakers will be confirmed shortly."

http://www.pavilionendpub.co.uk

http://www.tfa.net
  • Options
    "what the off topic button does?"

It blows a hole in the space-time continuum. Complaining about a PB post being off-topic is like complaining about Boris Johnson being a buffoon.
  • Options
    "Yeah right - Plato is clearly the only person on here who posts too often!"

Is there an option for agreeing with the literal sentiment of that post, but disagreeing with the sarcasm?
  • Options
    "The visceral hatred from the left on here for Plato seems quite similar to the way you all feel about Thatcher. You know, you don't actually have to read them you know..."

How can we correct them if we don't read them?
  • Options

"Mid term it is useful to look at Leadership ratings as a better predictor than VI."

Yes, because as we know Harold Wilson won the 1970 election, and James Callaghan won the 1979 election.

The reality is that you're praying in aid a single poll in which Lamont had a tiny lead on net ratings, and in which Lamont had a much larger number of Don't Knows.

You're confusing best PM/FM polling with best Leader ratings.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Off topic - guilty as charged. But how many times have threads been O/T once a news story breaks, and then some of the O/T comments lead directly into the next thread. Funny old world...
  • Options
    "You're confusing best PM/FM polling with best Leader ratings."

Whereas you're merely confusing Johann Lamont with a winner.
  • Options

what the off topic button does?

It's quite safe, Andrea.

The last person to use it was Silvio and he appeared happy with the results.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @Jonny. "You know, you don't actually have to read them you know... "

Don't be ridiculous. It's like going to the Louvre and trying to look at the paintings when every other one is just rubbish graffiti. It's impossible and makes the experience dull and unrewarding. It's nothing to do with left or right. But as I suggested when she isn't playing to the morons gallery the same doesn't apply.
  • Options

"You're confusing best PM/FM polling with best Leader ratings."

Whereas you're merely confusing Johann Lamont with a winner.

James I can either listen to your opinions and anecdotes or the polling from Scotland's most accurate pollster.

Forgive me if I choose to listen to Ipsos Mori.

And I've not said Lamont is a winner.

Just pointing out that she's leading Alex Salmond on the net leadership ratings.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Great karaoke hymns for the Thatcher send off:

I vow to thee my country (following Sir Winston - orchestral arrangement & Lady Di - sung)

Sir Winston: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Xkr8z3lEo

Lady Di: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmeQ_M7fPMw

Love Divine all loves excelling
    To be a pilgrim (sung at Sir Winston's funeral)

Even Roger will find it difficult to avoid tapping his toes to these tunes.
  • Options
    @Roger " Don't be ridiculous. It's like going to the Louvre and trying to look at the paintings "

When it come to Plato you're starting to sound just like the 'moaner' Lisa!
  • Options
    "James I can either listen to your opinions and anecdotes or the polling from Scotland's most accurate pollster.

Forgive me if I choose to listen to Ipsos Mori."

Feel free, old chap. That's an eight-point SNP lead.

"Just pointing out that she's leading Alex Salmond on the net leadership ratings."

And Malcolm and I are simply pointing out the obvious shortcomings in that observation. But please forgive me for making you ratty - I don't want to get 'accidentally' banned again...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good evening, everyone.

Don't forget to check the pb2 pre-race article, which has not only a tip, but some interesting thoughts in the comments too:
    http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/china-pre-race.html
  • Options

@Avery.

Even Roger will find it difficult to avoid tapping his toes to these tunes.

As long as they aren't drowned out by those doing the Poznan outside. I'd hate the extravagant affair to stretch into a second day
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited April 2013

Mid term it is useful to look at Leadership ratings as a better predictor than VI.
    Remember when Labour led the SNP but at the same time Iain Grey trailed Alex Salmond in the net Leadership ratings?

Yeah, but Gray trailed Salmond by between c.10-30pts - I think I can live with 1pt difference at the moment. I'm pretty sure if the 31% DKs get to know Johann that it won't be an unalloyed positive for her!

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    @Roger you're really telling me that you can't see that all the attacks (many of them quite personal) on Plato come from the left on here? That's ridiculous; any fool could see it. Just like even a fool could see that all the attacks on Tim for his irritating repetition come from the right, but I doubt any of us on the right would be ridiculous enough to deny it.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria: What chemical weapons?

The story in The Times that the chemists at Porton Down have confirmed some kind of chemical weapon in ground samples from Syria will not come as a surprise to anyone who followed the conflict.

Its appearance and timing are really the questions. The US President in particular talked of the red line that use of such weapons represented then the administration promptly denied they could be confirmed used when evidence emerged a while back. Such lame talk has only encouraged other attempts to use it and the Syrians are playing an interesting game using agents with a lower kill rate both for military effect and also to test world opinion.

This leak story is designed to add pressure both to those who are talking the talk but hiding behind others skirts and at the same time add fuel to the UN probe on the claims of chemical weapons use. The failure to confirm what the weapon was, potentially due to a short lifespan, or the sources are not prepared to say. Interestingly the sources of this latest news are in the British and French press. Figures.

Forget the global grandstanding and consider what is happening on the ground. I reported on here previously that some of Assad's elite forces were being kitted out with the necessary equipment and processes to operate in a NBC environment. Interestingly when this was noted, these forces were deployed in the Homs area, which is one of areas where hard evidence has emerged of chemical weapons use in an incident a few months back. In addition to measures being taking outside the Syrian border for the heavy use by the regime or possible seizure of such weapons by rebels, rebels in some areas are getting provided countermeasures supplied to them. So far the supply appears to have been noted in the South of the country where what is widely seen as Western, Jordanian & Saudi supported forces are active.

Forget the talk so far by the West. Everything is pointing an to assumption that chemical weapons are in use and will be used. It will then come down to whether the VX or Sarin comes out in notable quantities. At that point the West will find its words tested.

Korea: I mentioned in the last 48 hours about the Chinese boosting their military presence on the North Korean border, a sign of the seriousness of tensions. It appears this was around 4,500-5000 strong increase of PLA units. The attempt by the US to reel back and offer concession to the North Koreans is full effect. It will be interesting to see if this has its hoped for impact or just encourages the North's government to keep up the cycle of provocation.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Jonathan said:

Wondering if the Scots vote yes whether people will be allowed to have dual British/Scottish nationality.

I would hope so in the same way Irish can have dual British/Irish nationality - has the SNP said anything ?

• Options
    "has the SNP said anything ?"

The SNP are all in favour of dual nationality - AlanBrooke was furious. (In spite of being a dual national himself.)
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    My favourite thing about this disagree button is "earning" them from ridiculous socialists! :)
  • Options

I would hope so in the same way Irish can have dual British/Irish nationality

Northern Irish people are entitled to Irish citizenship but people born in the Republic of Ireland arent generally entitled to British nationality.
  • Options
    "Northern Irish people are entitled to Irish citizenship but people born in the Republic of Ireland arent generally entitled to British nationality."

But they are entitled to practically all the rights of British citizenship if they live here. How else do you get the chance to "vote Green", Neil?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I would hope so in the same way Irish can have dual British/Irish nationality - has the SNP said anything ?

Would his be available to people living south of the border?

• Options
    Neil said:

I would hope so in the same way Irish can have dual British/Irish nationality

Northern Irish people are entitled to Irish citizenship but people born in the Republic of Ireland arent generally entitled to British nationality.
    Easiest passport to get of what I'd call globally recognisable countries (followed possibly by Brazil). All I had to do was turn up in a big green leprachaun hat at the relevant location.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Roger said:

@Jonny. "You know, you don't actually have to read them you know... "

Don't be ridiculous. It's like going to the Louvre and trying to look at the paintings when every other one is just rubbish graffiti. It's impossible and makes the experience dull and unrewarding. It's nothing to do with left or right. But as I suggested when she isn't playing to the morons gallery the same doesn't apply.

@Roger

If you would like to define who you are characterising as morons, then it will be evident whether it is only a moron who can recognise others who are of that same ilk.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Easiest passport to get

Something I'm very proud of. Though we had a dodgy referendum a few years back that introduced the first limits on citizenship for people born on the island.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited April 2013
    Well I've made my only bet for the masters. Am laying Woods.

Bloody hell - Off Topic, Disagree, Agree, Like.

Monsieur Smithson with zese options you are spoiling us !
  • Options
    Neil said:

Y0kel said:

Easiest passport to get

Something I'm very proud of. Though we had a dodgy referendum a few years back that introduced the first limits on citizenship for people born on the island.
    You think that until the latest 'I knew I was Irish' claimant Tom Cruise rocks up....
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Some idiot in Trafalgar Square just said on the news that 'Thatcher was the epitome of Thatcherism'.

These people really are stupid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Some idiot in Trafalgar Square just said on the news that 'Thatcher was the epitome of Thatcherism'.

These people really are stupid.

Well they're not wrong xD
  • Options
    tim said:

Jack of Kent ‏@JackofKent 4h
    Andrew Wakefield, a man whose abuse of libel proceedings appalled even Sir David Eady: http://bit.ly/XJ6QMr (para 32-38). #LibelReform

Yet again we have the lazy and false assumption that Sir David Eady spent his entire judicial career out to stifle freedom of speech. Quite why a case which was decided against the person abusing the process of the court in order to inhibit freedom of speech, should be seen as evidence of the need to reform the law of defamation is not apparent or explained.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well I've made my only bet for the masters. Am laying Woods.

Bloody hell - Off Topic, Disagree, Agree, Like.

Monsieur Smithson with zese options you are spoiling us !

I don't bet on golf much at all but probably half of my money interest in the sport over the years was just that, betting against Woods.

Passing on it this time though.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    @Tim

plus royaliste que le roi

plus royaliste que la reine
This discussion has been closed.