Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s leader ratings have slumped sharply since the start o

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

All is not well in the EU by a long way and next May could see the Parliament flooded with hard right and hard left MEPs
    It's almost a shame we're leaving :-)
    Watching from the side-lines will be just fine.....
    it's hard to know how much pop corn to buy what with Macron mayhem , Alex the Octopus and jackboots Jezza
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Foxy said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

Two more Swedish polls suggest the Social Democrats and allies and the Coalition will get c.39% each, with the SD's on 18-20%. The Coalition will be very tempted to cut some sort of deal with the SD's if that is the outcome.

They will not touch the SDs with a barge pole!They don't need to.
    Er, yes they do. Why would the SD let them get into power if they get no concessions? That’s not a reasonable way to treat a party with 20% of the vote.

They could keep the existing coalition in office and vote against all their legislation. Bringing the Riksdag to a halt might help to concentrate minds.
    Add up the Social Democrats, the Moderates, the Greens [ MP ] and the Liberals. The SD can go to hell.
    That’s fine. In 4 years’ time, the SD can campaign on a ‘they’re all the same’ platform. Their % of the vote will rise further and the Moderates will shrink.
    The SDs are fascists.
    To be fair, they only have Fascist roots and founders, they have moderated their positions to curry votes
    So like the SNP then
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    surby said:

Sean_F said:

Two more Swedish polls suggest the Social Democrats and allies and the Coalition will get c.39% each, with the SD's on 18-20%. The Coalition will be very tempted to cut some sort of deal with the SD's if that is the outcome.

+1. Their relationship with the SDs is like Merkel's with the AfD - seen as ideologically repulsive (despite some recent efforts to clean up their act), and a direct threat to their voter base. It's as likely as the Tories having a pact with UKIP if UKIP started taking more of their votes.

But if they get more votes than the Social Democrat alliance, they'll form a minority government.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,024
    DavidL said:

Here's the whole speech
    It is just demented.

He says we should close down NATO. He and Trump would get along.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    DavidL said:

Here's the whole speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zaNJnpLOQ&app=desktop

It is just demented.

That level of delusion is really crying out for an intervention.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    When do you think everything will be agreed?

Next week?

Next month?

Before the EU summit on 18/19 October?

Before a special EU summit in November, as Liddington moots?

By Christmas?

Before 29/3/19?

If May’s position truly is NIAUEIA, none of those is feasible and it’s No Deal.
  • Options
    Off topic - has anyone seen the video doing the rounds on social media of Beto O'Rourke talking about NFL players "taking the knee" during the national anthem...what an impressive politician !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

Er, yes they do. Why would the SD let them get into power if they get no concessions? That’s not a reasonable way to treat a party with 20% of the vote.

They could keep the existing coalition in office and vote against all their legislation. Bringing the Riksdag to a halt might help to concentrate minds.
    Add up the Social Democrats, the Moderates, the Greens [ MP ] and the Liberals. The SD can go to hell.
    That’s fine. In 4 years’ time, the SD can campaign on a ‘they’re all the same’ platform. Their % of the vote will rise further and the Moderates will shrink.
    Could be a Social Democrat and Moderate Grand Coalition a la Germany if neither the centre left nor the centre right blocks have a majority with the Swedish Democrats like the AfD becoming the main opposition party
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

DavidL said:

Here's the whole speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zaNJnpLOQ&app=desktop

It is just demented.

That level of delusion is really crying out for an intervention.
    Whilst that may be true I think we should leave the precedents of putting political opponents in mental hospitals set by his good friends in the Soviet Union alone.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

Meanwhile Corbyn explains that NATO was formed in 1948 to promote a cold war with the Soviet Union forcing the poor lambs into forming that wonderful Warsaw Pact: https://twitter.com/NudderingNudnik/status/1034494951822946310

I am not sure that stupid really does him justice. It's much more fundamental than that.

I like the idealism. He's not a great speaker but I admire his inner hippy. I can see his appeal the young. It's refreshing that someone's still making those arguments
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

Could be a Social Democrat and Moderate Grand Coalition a la Germany if neither the centre left nor the centre right blocks have a majority with the Swedish Democrats like the AfD becoming the main opposition party
    Your posts aren't so entertaining now they are no longer backed by absolutely conclusive polling evidence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

All is not well in the EU by a long way and next May could see the Parliament flooded with hard right and hard left MEPs
    It's almost a shame we're leaving :-)
    Watching from the side-lines will be just fine.....
    it's hard to know how much pop corn to buy what with Macron mayhem , Alex the Octopus and jackboots Jezza
    Buy popcorn futures.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile Corbyn explains that NATO was formed in 1948 to promote a cold war with the Soviet Union forcing the poor lambs into forming that wonderful Warsaw Pact: https://twitter.com/NudderingNudnik/status/1034494951822946310

I am not sure that stupid really does him justice. It's much more fundamental than that.

I like the idealism. He's not a great speaker but I admire his inner hippy. I can see his appeal the young. It's refreshing that someone's still making those arguments
    But for it to be an argument, it should have some basis in reality. Not a conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Corbyn on NATO: "It represents Western Imperialism oppressing the workers and peasants of the Soviet Union"

Stalin seemed to be doing a decent enough job of that without Western assistance.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

No it’s not it’s seriously nuts.

The Warsaw Pact was the military arm of a system that walled people in and shot them if they tried to leave. NATO was a spectacularly successful defence against that.

You can be as hippy dippy as you like, it doesn’t excuse it.
  • Options

Corbyn on NATO: "It represents Western Imperialism oppressing the workers and peasants of the Soviet Union"

Stalin seemed to be doing a decent enough job of that without Western assistance.
    Seamus will have you marked down as a non-person for quips like that. Come the Revolution....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On topic, dire news for the Tories if Corbyn's ratings have really fallen so far and yet barely moved the needle on voting intention

It's certainly worth keeping an eye on that phenomenon. It suggests to me that Labour have a lot of potential upside when they get a leader who is not a disgrace. They need to decide if they want power or to be a slightly shoddy protest group.
    Their tactic last time was to take advantage of the media's requirement to give equal time during an election, based on the belief that when the public actually saw Corbyn speak for himself, they'd like him.

It appeared to work, though it's possible to argue that actually May did it all for him. Still, the party hasn't had a lot of luck with centrists since the extremely charismatic Blair, and it'd completely suck the energy out of the base if he was replaced with somebody who they didn't agree with politically. So I'm not at all convinced that replacing him is the safer bet.
    He's a loser. He's lost already and he will lose again bigly. Do you agree with him that the Attlee government promoted NATO as part of a conspiracy to have a cold war with the Soviet Union?

He said this in 2014, shortly after Russia had seized the Crimea using military force.
    Uh, no?

Aren't we taking about trying to predict election results here? Whether or not you like him accounts for at most one vote, so it doesn't seem very relevant
    Oh I agree, my views count for nothing. But he is not going to get the easy ride he did in 2017 again. Idiotic, frankly imbecilic statements like that, will damage a party which, as you point out, has so far retained its support. Last time JC lifted the Labour vote, next time if he stands, he will be a drag on it.
    I certainly wouldn't rule it out. The Tories have had an opportunity to learn what didn't work against him last time.
    We've got a bizarre situation where neither of the leaders of our main political parties are actually fit for purpose. But one is merely useless, the other is a dangerous fool. It's a sub optimal choice.
    The advantage for Labour is they have reasonable alternatives (e.g. Thornberry, Starmer) where the Conservatives have who?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On topic, dire news for the Tories if Corbyn's ratings have really fallen so far and yet barely moved the needle on voting intention

It's certainly worth keeping an eye on that phenomenon. It suggests to me that Labour have a lot of potential upside when they get a leader who is not a disgrace. They need to decide if they want power or to be a slightly shoddy protest group.
    Their tactic last time was to take advantage of the media's requirement to give equal time during an election, based on the belief that when the public actually saw Corbyn speak for himself, they'd like him.

It appeared to work, though it's possible to argue that actually May did it all for him. Still, the party hasn't had a lot of luck with centrists since the extremely charismatic Blair, and it'd completely suck the energy out of the base if he was replaced with somebody who they didn't agree with politically. So I'm not at all convinced that replacing him is the safer bet.
    He's a loser. He's lost already and he will lose again bigly. Do you agree with him that the Attlee government promoted NATO as part of a conspiracy to have a cold war with the Soviet Union?

He said this in 2014, shortly after Russia had seized the Crimea using military force.
    Uh, no?

Aren't we taking about trying to predict election results here? Whether or not you like him accounts for at most one vote, so it doesn't seem very relevant
    Oh I agree, my views count for nothing. But he is not going to get the easy ride he did in 2017 again. Idiotic, frankly imbecilic statements like that, will damage a party which, as you point out, has so far retained its support. Last time JC lifted the Labour vote, next time if he stands, he will be a drag on it.
    I certainly wouldn't rule it out. The Tories have had an opportunity to learn what didn't work against him last time.
    We've got a bizarre situation where neither of the leaders of our main political parties are actually fit for purpose. But one is merely useless, the other is a dangerous fool. It's a sub optimal choice.
    The advantage for Labour is they have reasonable alternatives (e.g. Thornberry, Starmer) where the Conservatives have who?
    I imagine Corbyn will choose his successor unless he has to go against his will
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

The Warsaw Pact was the military arm of a system that walled people in and shot them if they tried to leave. NATO was a spectacularly successful defence against that.

"Nonsense! The Berlin Wall was built by NATO!!!"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Plenty of people seemingly willing to get out the bunting, put the champagne on ice and stand ready to adore the Prime Minister according to the Mail.

Yes, sterling has soared an incredible two cents against the dollar and the euro.

Barnier has reportedly said we will get a deal unlike that offered to any country - well, that can mean anything but one thing it doesn't seem to mean is the SM for goods which drives a coach and horses through the Chequers Agreement. We may get something like an FTA but it won't be SM membership or anything like it so perhaps one cheer rather than three and of course there's a lot of other detail even at this late stage.

Clearly, no one in the EU wants the UK to crash out without a deal on 29/3/19 (and I doubt the majority do here either) so "something" is being cobbled together with the can kicked down the road again for the transition period but we have an FTA with Lesotho (apparently) so there's nothing to worry about.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
  • Options
    It just goes on and on.

How can decent labour supporters allow this. They should unite and declare 'not in my name' and take dramatic action and isolate Corbyn and his cabal
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,964
    RobD said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

The SDs are fascists.
    Fascist has a quite broad definition these days, doesn't it?
    Thank goodness everyone's much more rigorous over the terms Marxist, Stalinist, Communist etc.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Uh, no?

Starmer a charisma free zone, Thornberry Ed Miliband in a skirt
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
    And when the time comes quite a few more
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Interesting that Raab does not feel the need to have Olly Robbins holding his hand in front of the committee:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45344203

Perhaps an implication that, unlike his predecessor, he has a reasonably good idea about what is going on?

Bold assumption David, if he does he will be the first
    I fully accept that it is a bit of a stretch Malcolm. And not one corroborated by his rather lamentable performance with the advice notes. That's why I wondered if it indicated that a deal was indeed imminent. Meeting Barnier for a long meeting on Friday.
    For sure I would expect them to come up with some kind of fudge.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Interesting that Raab does not feel the need to have Olly Robbins holding his hand in front of the committee:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45344203

Perhaps an implication that, unlike his predecessor, he has a reasonably good idea about what is going on?

I fully accept that it is a bit of a stretch Malcolm. And not one corroborated by his rather lamentable performance with the advice notes. That's why I wondered if it indicated that a deal was indeed imminent. Meeting Barnier for a long meeting on Friday.
    Or tablet or even a macaroon bar
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Foxy said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

The SDs are fascists.
    To be fair, they only have Fascist roots and founders, they have moderated their positions to curry votes
    So like the SNP then
    Alan, wash your mouth out with soap
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    When? Last week? last yea?. There’s no way I’d support that sort of language but I cringe a bit when I recall some of my remarks in student days.

60 years ago!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    stodge said:

Plenty of people seemingly willing to get out the bunting, put the champagne on ice and stand ready to adore the Prime Minister according to the Mail.

Yes, sterling has soared an incredible two cents against the dollar and the euro.

Barnier has reportedly said we will get a deal unlike that offered to any country - well, that can mean anything but one thing it doesn't seem to mean is the SM for goods which drives a coach and horses through the Chequers Agreement. We may get something like an FTA but it won't be SM membership or anything like it so perhaps one cheer rather than three and of course there's a lot of other detail even at this late stage.

Clearly, no one in the EU wants the UK to crash out without a deal on 29/3/19 (and I doubt the majority do here either) so "something" is being cobbled together with the can kicked down the road again for the transition period but we have an FTA with Lesotho (apparently) so there's nothing to worry about.

To be honest, Chequers was never going to fly. As almost every Leaver on here suggested at the time....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
    Boris love him or loathe him is still the most charismatic election winner in the Commons
  • Options
    stodge said:

A FTA that ends free movement would be a triumph for May even if it does not replicate Chequers exactly that was merely her opening offer
  • Options

When? Last week? last yea?. There’s no way I’d support that sort of language but I cringe a bit when I recall some of my remarks in student days.

60 years ago!
    In 2013 and there is video.

Corbyn leaves me speechless and disgusted and is not fit to lead a major UK party sadly

Can anyone image how long TM would last if she behaved this way
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
    Boris love him or loathe him is still the most charismatic election winner in the Commons
    Maybe but I was asked for reasonable alternatives and he does not qualify.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
    He is yesterdays news
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Their tactic last time was to take advantage of the media's requirement to give equal time during an election, based on the belief that when the public actually e safer bet.

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
    He is yesterdays news
    We will see, if May gets a Deal that passes the Commons you are probably right, if there is No Deal or a permanent transition in effect all bets are off
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Personally I prefer tablet.
  • Options

60 years ago!

Corbyn leaves me speechless and disgusted and is not fit to lead a major UK party sadly

Dear god, what are we coming to? JC on one side, BJ on the other. At least he’s not Leader.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

It’s as if he (and you) are unaware of the gulags, the repressions, the way dissidents were locked up in mental hospitals, the genocide perpetrated on the Ukrainian people, the 1953 uprising by East Germany, the show trials in the Warsaw pact countries, the killings and forced suicides, the Berlin Wall, the shooting of those who wanted to escape their prison, the 1956 Hungarian uprising, the multiple Polish rebellions, the 1968 uprising in Czechoslovakia and so on and so forth. It’s as if he’s wholly unaware of - or ignores - the reality of life in the Soviet Union in the years before 1948 and its deliberate undermining of any attempt to create a normal democratic society in the countries liberated from Nazism. Those countries exchanged one brutal totalitarian regime for another. Their liberation did not come until 1989.

There is nothing idealistic about defending the vile regime which was the Soviet Union.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

It is just demented.

Rubbish - one may not agree with all of it, but Corbyn made many valid points.

NATO is obsolescent. A common EU armed force should be created to replace it for the defence of Europe, from Brest to Brest, in tandem with a common EU foreign policy. The EU should be the sole representative of Europe on the UN security council west of the River Bug.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Their tactic last time was to take advantage of the media's requirement to give equal time during an election, based on the belief that when the ed with somebody who they didn't agree with politically. So I'm not at all convinced that replacing him is the safer bet.

Uh, no?

Javid, Hunt. Err...
    Maybe but I was asked for reasonable alternatives and he does not qualify.
    Your reasonable is not most Tory members reasonable
  • Options

welshowl said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Lol!

About 20% of East Germany’s population has fled by the time the wall went up. I seem to recall the rate was up to over 300k per annum by the Summer of 1961 so given a population of about 16M and one assumes a working population of about half that the place was disappearing before their very eyes, despite being the workers’ paradise. So Ulbricht built a wall and had anyone crossing it shot. It was later bolstered by anti personnel mines for good measure.

Of course Hungary, and Czechoslovakia were suppressed at the point of a gun in 56 and 68. Romania had every typewriter registered and each household was allowed a dazzling 40w bulb to light the nights. Poland was put under martial law in 81 for getting the wrong idea too. There were of course no free elections and anyone who spoke out, like Havel for instance, ended up in the slammer or worse.

Yet Roger admires the hippy idealism of Corbyn. Words really fail me.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

60 years ago!
    2913 apparently.
    Verifiable facts seem a little thin on the ground. For instance I'd be interested to know who the 'controversial pro-Palestinian group with links to the far right' was.
    Also 'while Mr Corbyn ordered her out of the room' immediately followed by 'The Labour leader - then a backbench MP - said: "Can you all quietly leave the room please?"' seems somewhat at odds.
  • Options

It just goes on and on.

How can decent labour supporters allow this. They should unite and declare 'not in my name' and take dramatic action and isolate Corbyn and his cabal
    You should have heard what we called Grandad Pinochet when he came visiting.
  • Options
    daodao said:

DavidL said:

It is just demented.

NATO is obsolescent. A common EU armed force should be created to replace it for the defence of Europe, from Brest to Brest, in tandem with a common EU foreign policy. The EU should be the sole representative of Europe on the UN security council west of the River Bug.
    Corbyn is beyond parody in this. It’s just totally nuts. I’d laugh if it were not so serious.

• Options

60 years ago!

Any other Party leader. The LibDems had the local difficulty of a leader with slightly embarrassing views on gays and sin --> gone. The UKIP leader had a racist girlfriend --> gone. The Tories just had a quiet man, turning up the volume --> gone.

But it seems nothing can remove Jeremy.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

RoyalBlue said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

Your posts aren't so entertaining now they are no longer backed by absolutely conclusive polling evidence.
    Although I’m still looking forward hearing more about the liberal democracy that is Hong Kong SAR.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    HYUFD said:

If he buried the hatchet with Gove they could be quite a formidable duo.
  • Options
    daodao said:

DavidL said:

It is just demented.

Got to agree with Mr DD. Many valid points.
  • Options

daodao said:

DavidL said:

It is just demented.

What a nightmare vision.
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

No it isn’t. It’s sad and deluded.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    welshowl said:

About 20% of East Germany’s population has fled by the time the wall went up. I seem to recall the rate was up to over 300k per annum by the Summer of 1961 so given a population of about 16M and one assumes a working population of about half that the place was disappearing before their very eyes, despite being the workers’ paradise. So Ulbricht built a wall and had anyone crossing it shot. It was later bolstered by anti personnel mines for good measure.

Of course Hungary, and Czechoslovakia were suppressed at the point of a gun in 56 and 68. Romania had every typewriter registered and each household was allowed a dazzling 40w bulb to light the nights. Poland was put under martial law in 81 for getting the wrong idea too. There were of course no free elections and anyone who spoke out, like Havel for instance, ended up in the slammer or worse.

OTOH the West was quite happy to allow the suppression of democracy in Spain and Portugal until the 1970s, in Greece from 1967-74 and in Turkey to prevent more democratically-supported left-wing parties and Governments being formed.

Wasn't there also covert intervention in Italy to keep the Communists out of Government there as well?

Elsewhere in the world, both East AND West propped up their share of murderous tyrants such as Marcos, Mobutu and Castro to name but three. Democracy was crushed underfoot in the name of keeping the other side out of power.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

FPT

Hertsmere_Pubgoer said:
    » show previous quotes
    That's all right then.
    I joined a couple of months ago.

And a warm welcome to you

Thank you big G
    Thank you also. I hope you enjoy being a member.

Lots of issues coming up
    I was previously a member from 1997-2005.
    I left after Michael Howard pissed me off.
    Good to be back in the fold!
    Welcome back.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

It is like a film script for very dark overblown satire has come to life. An obsessive half mad idiot is propelled to the leadership of a major party by chance events. People are blind to the reality and project many contradictory visions on to him. Hopefully the second half where he becomes PM remains on the cutting room floor.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

In his eyes, NATO prevented the liberation of Western Europe by the Red Army.
    Lol.
  • Options

60 years ago!

Dear god, what are we coming to? JC on one side, BJ on the other. At least he’s not Leader.
    Come on OKC. BJ is not remotely as malign as Corbyn
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Lol!

Yes, yes, and yes. BUT. Why does Der Linke attract such support in what was the DDR. Russia has a thriving Communist Party. Just as an example the Communists in the Czech Republic achieved their worst result in the last elections... almost 8%.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

stodge said:

To be honest, Chequers was never going to fly. As almost every Leaver on here suggested at the time....
    I suspect most of it was cleared with the EU27 in advance actually.

What we’re really debating is how big the gap is between rhetoric and reality.

I think it’s rather larger than advertised.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

60 years ago!

This is why the campaign against Corbyn has been run, sure Boris dog whistles against Muslims but Corbyn opposes the occupation of the Palestinians so he must be a massive racist, I can now morally vote for the person with the racist dog whistling campaign. The long held dreams of the Sun and the Daily Mail coming to fruition.
  • Options

60 years ago!

I suspect, once in power, he would be worse. He is, after all, probably brighter.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

daodao said:

DavidL said:

It is just demented.

Intelligent thought about the best way of protecting Western Europe in the future is not going to come from someone who rewrites history, does not accept the threat which the Soviet Union was to the West and which Russia under Putin presents now.
  • Options
    daodao said:

DavidL said:

It is just demented.

This may have passed you by (much like the actual history of the second half of the 20th century) but we are about to leave the EU. So they will not be a part of our defence. Which is just as well because nearly all their armed forces are one step up from a joke.

Corbyn ‘s rewriting of history would be laughable if he was not a contender for PM.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Not impossible depending on whether an acceptable Deal is negotiated or not
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

60 years ago!

I suspect, once in power, he would be worse. He is, after all, probably brighter.
    Nothing Boris could possibly do would compare to the damage that would be inflicted by those who think Venezuela is a model to emulate.

Corbyn and those around him are revolutionary socialist cuckoos in a party of democratic socialists and social democrats. They have no commitment to democracy or freedom of the press.
  • Options

60 years ago!

He could not be worse than Corbyn . Anyway he is not going to lead my party

I will have no problem with labour if they rid themselves of Corbyn and his cabal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Boris will claim that the deal is a betrayal, regardless of content. To do otherwise would make his resignation look stupid. Gove will support the deal, almost regardless of content. To do otherwise would make his decision to remain in the cabinet look ridiculous. I really don’t see how they end up on the same side, even if you ignore their history.
  • Options

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Lol!

Yes, yes, and yes. BUT. Why does Der Linke attract such support in what was the DDR. Russia has a thriving Communist Party. Just as an example the Communists in the Czech Republic achieved their worst result in the last elections... almost 8%.
    It is just astonishing that they do attract this support (the 8% who were the elite in the old system? Secret policeman’s nostalgia? God knows. Point is it’s not the “99%” it used to be declared to be is it? And if you really don’t like the current set up nobody tries to fragment you with an anti personnel mine or riddle you with a magazine from an AK47 do they? That’s kind of fundamental.

Of course Corbyn wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in the Soviet block. Straight off to the gulag with him I’m sure for some sort of party impurity!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited August 2018
    When I went to Berlin, I quite enjoyed reading the old newspaper reports from East Germany. It seems they and the Russians built the wall, to prevent the jealous Westerners trying to cross into the Socialist paradise that was East Germany. The guards were forced to shoot them in the back because they must have been running backwards towards them.

I'm sure Jezza still holds to that version.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

When I went to Berlin, I quite enjoyed reading the old newspaper reports from East Germany. It seems they and the Russians built the wall, to prevent the jealous Westerners trying to cross into the Socialist paradise that was East Germany. The guards were forced to shoot them in the back because they must have been running backwards towards them.

I'm sure Jezza still holds to that version.

I am sure he learned all about it on the motorcycle trip with Ms Abbott.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

It’s as if he (and you) are unaware of the gulags, the repressions, the way dissidents were locked up in mental hospitals, the genocide perpetrated on the Ukrainian people, the 1953 uprising by East Germany, the show trials in the Warsaw pact countries, the killings and forced suicides, the Berlin Wall, the shooting of those who wanted to escape their prison, the 1956 Hungarian uprising, the multiple Polish rebellions, the 1968 uprising in Czechoslovakia and so on and so forth. It’s as if he’s wholly unaware of - or ignores - the reality of life in the Soviet Union in the years before 1948 and its deliberate undermining of any attempt to create a normal democratic society in the countries liberated from Nazism. Those countries exchanged one brutal totalitarian regime for another. Their liberation did not come until 1989.

There is nothing idealistic about defending the vile regime which was the Soviet Union.
    We're talking then about a time after 1948 when lynchings were a routine part of American life. Where blacks and whites couldn't travel on the same bus or go to the same schools....where genocides in Rwanda and the Congo weren't even stopped. Where wars of unimaginable brutality between Iraq and Iran killed hundreds of thousands. Where apartheid in South Africa and Rhodesia continued unchecked. Where American/UK policy created a bloodbath in Iraq and Libya. Where the war in Syria had more in common with the brutalities of the first world war than anything that happened in Eastern Europe post '48.....

The picture painted by Corbyn rings rather more true than your rather partial anglocentric view of recent history.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Boris will claim that the deal is a betrayal, regardless of content. To do otherwise would make his resignation look stupid. Gove will support the deal, almost regardless of content. To do otherwise would make his decision to remain in the cabinet look ridiculous. I really don’t see how they end up on the same side, even if you ignore their history.
    Gove's wife will ensure be advances his prospects however Brexit turns out
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

We're talking then about a time after 1948 when lynchings were a routine part of American life. Where blacks and whites couldn't travel on the same bus or go to the same schools....where genocides in Rwanda and the Congo weren't even stopped. Where wars of unimaginable brutality between Iraq and Iran killed hundreds of thousands. Where apartheid in South Africa and Rhodesia continued unchecked. Where American/UK policy created a bloodbath in Iraq and Libya. Where the war in Syria had more in common with the brutalities of the first world war than anything that happened in Eastern Europe post '48.....

The picture painted by Corbyn rings rather more true than your rather partial anglocentric view of recent history.
    Utter rot.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Lol!

It is just astonishing that they do attract this support (the 8% who were the elite in the old system? Secret policeman’s nostalgia? God knows. Point is it’s not the “99%” it used to be declared to be is it? And if you really don’t like the current set up nobody tries to fragment you with an anti personnel mine or riddle you with a magazine from an AK47 do they? That’s kind of fundamental.

Of course Corbyn wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in the Soviet block. Straight off to the gulag with him I’m sure for some sort of party impurity!
    While I agree with your last para, AIUI quite a lot of people recall life in the DDR (especially) as better than now, especially as regards employment and social services.

There’s a film on Youtube: Mt DDR Tee shirt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmILB8tmm00
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Roger said:

Lol!

While I agree with your last para, AIUI quite a lot of people recall life in the DDR (especially) as better than now, especially as regards employment and social services.
    I've met people from the former Soviet Union and the former Yugoslavia who missed what they felt was a genuine sense of internationalism between the various peoples of those countries ("it didn't matter if you were Russian, Georgian or Kazakh, we were all Soviet citizens"). Mind you those people were respectively Ukrainian and Serb so I guess they were seeing it from the privileged end.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Cole,

"a lot of people recall life in the DDR (especially) as better than now, especially as regards employment and social services."

I'm not surprised. It's called nostalgia. I feel a reverse Four Yorkshiremen sketch coming.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Gove's wife will ensure be advances his prospects however Brexit turns out
    Now there I agree with you!
  • Options
    Good night all. The computer needs a rest!
  • Options

60 years ago!

An extraordinary claim! He's a proven criminal. I can't think of a more malign politician around today than BJ. Corbyn by contrast might not be a competent leader but I've never thought him malign.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Roger said:

60 years ago!

An extraordinary claim! He's a proven criminal. I can't think of a more malign politician around today than BJ. Corbyn by contrast might not be a competent leader but I've never thought him malign.
    Steady on... he's been convicted in a court of law?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roger said:

60 years ago!

Boris describes himself as a criminal

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/3559801/How-Boris-Johnson-became-a-war-criminal.html
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

Roger said:

60 years ago!

Boris describes himself as a criminal

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/3559801/How-Boris-Johnson-became-a-war-criminal.html
    I really doubt that is what Roger was referring to. In any case, he seems incredulous in the article that the Met were after him.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

No, Boris will say his resignation was all part of a co-ordinated plot to put pressure on Brussels. A ratcheting up of pressure, to reinforce that the PM could offer Chequers Brexit - but not an inch more.

And, by Jove, it worked! Now we are all happily rowing in behind the Brexit agreement, intent on delivering a propserous new Britain outside the clutches of the Eurocrats, but with trade still going on without a cliff edge, hospitals still functioning with medicines, planes still flying between the UK and European destinations.... By God, it's the very best of Brexits - and a great day to be alive!

Now, Theresa, about you agreeing to step down next week....
  • Options

Mr Cole

Good for them. Delusional fools, but good for them.

Their fellow citizens, who disagreed, had no means of peacefully removing their Govt, expressing disapproval, or even leaving without risking personal physical harm or death.

I loathe the kind of apologist moral equivalence crap spouted by fools like Corbyn and even our own misguided Roger.
  • Options

Roger said:

DavidL said:

It is like a film script for very dark overblown satire has come to life. An obsessive half mad idiot is propelled to the leadership of a major party by chance events. People are blind to the reality and project many contradictory visions on to him. Hopefully the second half where he becomes PM remains on the cutting room floor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231TmvIPzQQ
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    On BF: 'Most seats: Any other': 21/23 (short change)

That's an amazing price. Either in UKIP-land or Labour-land, or possibly any other land there's something afoot.

• Options
    I see that for (some) PB Tories the frog of a Boris leadership is just about boiled. Not the first time we'll have had a nasty piece of work for PM I suppose.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529
    CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

"a lot of people recall life in the DDR (especially) as better than now, especially as regards employment and social services."

I'm not surprised. It's called nostalgia. I feel a reverse Four Yorkshiremen sketch coming.

The old Communists in Die Linke do poll well in the East. There is some genuine nostalgia.

There has always been a bit of radical chic assosciated with the Communists, whether the Russian revolutionaries, the Cubans, Che Guevara, or the Communards. Usually best appreciated at a distance, but there nevertheless, in a way that Fascism rarely appeals outside its own nation.

Islamism is the modern equivalent for a sector of society looking for an alternative to the crass commercialism and decadance of modern consumer society. It is a coherent alternative philosophy and idealistic alternative way to structure the world.

I see the appeal myself, though mine is a Christian millenialism.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    daodao said:

DavidL said:

It is just demented.

Beware the slithy toves.

Corbyn simply doesn't make valid points. He's not about that. He may of course do so accidentally though.

• Options
    OT, My Greek colleagues really rate the current PAOK side to progress to the knockout stages of the CL. They have tied Benfica away 1:1 and are 2.18 to go through on BF.

I have put a tenner on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

OT, My Greek colleagues really rate the current PAOK side to progress to the knockout stages of the CL. They have tied Benfica away 1:1 and are 2.18 to go through on BF.

I have put a tenner on.

Update: PAOK have scored so the value has gone. Still 1.45 though, with a 2:1 aggregate and away goal.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I have put a tenner on.

Update: PAOK have scored so the value has gone. Still 1.45 though, with a 2:1 aggregate and away goal.
    Though of course PAOK can't go through on the away goal rule now.

EDIT: And Benfica have squared it up.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Interesting banner at the PAOK game: "Macedonia is one and only and it's here"
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    People beginning to see him for what he is
  • Options
    Floater said:

People beginning to see him for what he is

It takes a lot to admit you have invested emotionally in a wrong 'un.....
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Foxy said:

CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

The old Communists in Die Linke do poll well in the East. There is some genuine nostalgia.

There has always been a bit of radical chic assosciated with the Communists, whether the Russian revolutionaries, the Cubans, Che Guevara, or the Communards. Usually best appreciated at a distance, but there nevertheless, in a way that Fascism rarely appeals outside its own nation.

Islamism is the modern equivalent for a sector of society looking for an alternative to the crass commercialism and decadance of modern consumer society. It is a coherent alternative philosophy and idealistic alternative way to structure the world.

I see the appeal myself, though mine is a Christian millenialism.
    Any ideology is coherent to those who believe it......

I think Scientology is quite plausible....well it's more plausible than lots of other stuff out there like transubstantiation......when you read the stuff on parallels universes, string theory and quantum physics...wow..that shit is really LSD induced bonkers....
This discussion has been closed.