Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » November’s US midterms are looking a lot tighter than a month

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_P said:

So Leavers are looking for a Brexit for aged rural England and Wales. Always provided they don't get in the way either.

On a related note...

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/999218036296028160
    Scandalous. The countryside can actually be very nice 20 minutes on the bus from Swindon. :o
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    TGOHF said:

http://quillette.com/2018/05/22/jordan-peterson-failure-left/

"Rather than vilifying Peterson, I’d love to see left-of-center writers, thinkers, and political commentators engage with his ideas in challenging, but also thoughtful and respectful ways. Personally, I see him as a worthy interlocutor for those of us who believe that our societies need paradigm-shifting reforms, but reject the drive towards destruction for destruction’s sake that currently animates the most extreme fringes of the Right and Left alike. If we hope to see a better future, the Left needs to break out of its increasingly stultifying discursive box, stop denouncing everyone who won’t dutifully recite the latest list of hashtag slogans as ‘alt-Right,’ and open up to the possibility of a new paradigm."

Trouble is, Peterson has bitten off more than he can chew. His work on motivating young men is important and useful, but by putting himself forward as a know-all he has invited more criticism than support.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

You see, this is the standard of lies and deception that we have to put up with from Remainers.

Product standards <> the Single Market. Two different things.

World trade is process agnostic - if China produces a widget, all we care about is whether it complies with (say) EU standards. We don't care if the Chinese destroyed the environment, exploited labour or even really whether the company that produced it was subject to state aid.

The SM is not a system of product regulation - anyone (eg the Chinese) can get their products to comply with EU product regulations. The SM is a complete system of regulation for the economies that are controlled within it.

Rogers is being dishonest to say that following someone else's product regulations is in any way equivalent to being bound by SM regulations. The SM heavily impacts sovereignty, product regulations are just administrative. And in many cases a single product can comply with multiple standards, even if they are different.
    The tweet quoted doesn’t even mention the single market.

However, I guess the point is, if we want a say on EU *product* regulation, we have to be inside the tent.

And if we want frictionless trade with the EU (aka the single market) we also need to align on *process* regulation.

By exiting the EU we win theoretical autonomy in process, by sacrificing both influence and frictionless trade.
    The autonomy is obvi not exported.
    But we are talking about exports.
    The is sterile. There’s no “right” answer to that question as the two terms are not comparable.
    The EU helped create our large BoP imbalance

why the sudden concern ? You had 40 years to raise the subject.
    Who is ‘you’? I wasn’t even alive 40 years ago.
    I’m talking about the here and now, conscious as I am that Brexiters live in the past.
    How nice to see youre catching up on an argument that has been going on on PB for the last 5 years. Maybe if you gave some attention to our direction of trade and how the EU facilitates the de industrialisation of the UK and thus exacerbates our BoP problem you might worry less.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

So Leavers are looking for a Brexit for aged rural England and Wales. Always provided they don't get in the way either.

On a related note...

Outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh, the towns in between, and Dundee and Aberdeen, Scotland is a remarkably empty country.
    That just indicates what one is familiar with, one might as well say that England is a remarkably full country. Or over full as the racists and xenophobes might say.
    England is remarkably densely populated. If France had England's population density, it would have 200 m people and be one of the world's superpowers.
    Alternatively, if England had France's population density we would have a population of 15m and the UK would not be a world power. :smile:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

Outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh, the towns in between, and Dundee and Aberdeen, Scotland is a remarkably empty country.
    That just indicates what one is familiar with, one might as well say that England is a remarkably full country. Or over full as the racists and xenophobes might say.
    England is remarkably densely populated. If France had England's population density, it would have 200 m people and be one of the world's superpowers.
    In any case I'd hope that the French would be a bit more efficient about spreading the population
    Like the Scots?

3.5 million in 10,000 sq km
    1.7 million in 70,000 sq km
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

UK government gets blame for not sharing information that could have prevented the attack. If you don’t understand that, don’t blame me!

That doesn't happen now when there are terrorist attacks outside of Europe. Or should the UK take the blame every time a terrorist decides to blow up a bunch of innocents and the government doesn't have an intelligence sharing agreement with said nation?

The very notion that we should do their work for them because they don't want to spend the money is ridiculous.

Withdrawing cooperation and therefore making British citizens less safe than they are currently is not the same as not ever having had cooperation agreements and networks in place. If you are OK with that, so be it.

Not only am I okay with it, I think the government should do it regardless of what happens with Galileo. Defence cooperation should be contingent on a free trade deal. If we are to be allies and defend their lands, then a free trade deal is not too much to ask.
    Max you're having a shocker here. Give up defence cooperation unless we can sell our....our....artisan honey to Germany. I mean listen to yourself. These are grown up subjects and you are treating them like they are cards for swapsies in the playground.
    And their position is, "your goods will be subject to massive tariffs, but please defend our borders and help us stop terrorist attacks". My position is consistent with what they are saying.
    Not quite. They are wondering what on earth we want from our Brexit and in the meantime and in any case we as neighbouring nations have a common goal of preventing terrorist attacks. You are conflating them, not the EU.
    We as neighbouring nations have a common goal of having a free trade agreement but they won't even talk about that. So screw their common goals, we need to look after ourselves.
    This is the amusing Leaver dynamic. You go from wanting to leave the EU to wishing damnation and hellfire upon them. It is an understandable emotional response. From a toddler.
    If you're losing the argument call someone a toddler. Yet to hear any good reasons why we should remain in the EU. Sad that some have never moved on from the vote, but not expecting much from certain posters.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762

You see, this is the standard of lies and deception that we have to put up with from Remainers.

World trade is process agnostic - if China produces a widget, all we care about is whether it complies with (say) EU standards. We don't care if the Chinese destroyed the environment, exploited labour or even really whether the company that produced it was subject to state aid.

The SM is not a system of product regulation - anyone (eg the Chinese) can get their products to comply with EU product regulations. The SM is a complete system of regulation for the economies that are controlled within it.

Rogers is being dishonest to say that following someone else's product regulations is in any way equivalent to being bound by SM regulations. The SM heavily impacts sovereignty, product regulations are just administrative. And in many cases a single product can comply with multiple standards, even if they are different.

However, I guess the point is, if we want a say on EU *product* regulation, we have to be inside the tent.

And if we want frictionless trade with the EU (aka the single market) we also need to align on *process* regulation.

By exiting the EU we win theoretical autonomy in process, by sacrificing both influence and frictionless trade.
    The is sterile. There’s no “right” answer to that question as the two terms are not comparable.

I’m talking about the here and now, conscious as I am that Brexiters live in the past.
    How nice to see youre catching up on an argument that has been going on on PB for the last 5 years. Maybe if you gave some attention to our direction of trade and how the EU facilitates the de industrialisation of the UK and thus exacerbates our BoP problem you might worry less.
    Easy to blame the EU for our industrial woes; Germany seems to manage fine.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dadge said:

TGOHF said:

http://quillette.com/2018/05/22/jordan-peterson-failure-left/

"Rather than vilifying Peterson, I’d love to see left-of-center writers, thinkers, and political commentators engage with his ideas in challenging, but also thoughtful and respectful ways. Personally, I see him as a worthy interlocutor for those of us who believe that our societies need paradigm-shifting reforms, but reject the drive towards destruction for destruction’s sake that currently animates the most extreme fringes of the Right and Left alike. If we hope to see a better future, the Left needs to break out of its increasingly stultifying discursive box, stop denouncing everyone who won’t dutifully recite the latest list of hashtag slogans as ‘alt-Right,’ and open up to the possibility of a new paradigm."

-all he has invited more criticism than support.
    Isn't the big issue the quality - or lack of - the criticism ?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

The author is confusing rurality and sparsity. See below for further details:

https://tinyurl.com/y9zt384s
    The author has a sense of humour.
  • Options
    notme said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

UK government gets blame for not sharing information that could have prevented the attack. If you don’t understand that, don’t blame me!

That doesn't happen now when there are terrorist attacks outside of Europe. Or should the UK take the blame every time a terrorist decides to blow up a bunch of innocents and the government doesn't have an intelligence sharing agreement with said nation?

The very notion that we should do their work for them because they don't want to spend the money is ridiculous.

Withdrawing cooperation and therefore making British citizens less safe than they are currently is not the same as not ever having had cooperation agreements and networks in place. If you are OK with that, so be it.

Not only am I okay with it, I think the government should do it regardless of what happens with Galileo. Defence cooperation should be contingent on a free trade deal. If we are to be allies and defend their lands, then a free trade deal is not too much to ask.
    Max you're having a shocker here. Give up defence cooperation unless we can sell our....our....artisan honey to Germany. I mean listen to yourself. These are grown up subjects and you are treating them like they are cards for swapsies in the playground.
    It’s all card for swapsies in a playground. You are being fundamentally naive if you think it is anything else.
    +1. If anyone thinks that nice Mr Barnier is going to offer us things because he wants to be nice and helpful, I may have a bridge or two I can sell you.
  • Options

Nothing to do with an undervalued currency.....

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,402
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

Scandalous. The countryside can actually be very nice 20 minutes on the bus from Swindon. :o
    Lambourn is around 20 minutes from Swindon.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

And their position is, "your goods will be subject to massive tariffs, but please defend our borders and help us stop terrorist attacks". My position is consistent with what they are saying.
    Not quite. They are wondering what on earth we want from our Brexit and in the meantime and in any case we as neighbouring nations have a common goal of preventing terrorist attacks. You are conflating them, not the EU.
    We as neighbouring nations have a common goal of having a free trade agreement but they won't even talk about that. So screw their common goals, we need to look after ourselves.
    This is the amusing Leaver dynamic. You go from wanting to leave the EU to wishing damnation and hellfire upon them. It is an understandable emotional response. From a toddler.
    If you're losing the argument call someone a toddler. Yet to hear any good reasons why we should remain in the EU. Sad that some have never moved on from the vote, but not expecting much from certain posters.
    Thanks for the insightful post.

There is one poster, sadly, that made all the difference to the Referendum campaign which you lot refuse to take responsibility for.
  • Options
    Trump/Kim hot date off again.
  • Options

World trade is processe different.

my comments are based on being MD of businesses in Germany France Czech Republic and the UK what are yours based on ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not quite. They are wond not the EU.

There is one poster, sadly, that made all the difference to the Referendum campaign which you lot refuse to take responsibility for.
    Plato ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

Alternatively, if England had France's population density we would have a population of 15m and the UK would not be a world power. :smile:
    I don't know what the obsession with being a world power is, I think the country would be much more pleasent with only 15 million here personally :)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Plato ?
    Nah it was the Sunil wot won it...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

TOPPING said:

Plato ?
    That is a superbly funny post, Alanbrooke.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    A Brexit triumph ... for the Germans:

A potential ‘Brexit effect’ has made itself apparent in Germany’s 2017 foreign direct investment (FDI) figures, with the number of UK investment projects jumping by 21%, according to German economic development agency Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI). Currently, the large share of these projects involves service offices opening, but it will be interesting to see whether production facilities are subsequently set up. Also notable was that the UK was the largest source of merger, acquisition and shareholding investment. The volume of enquiries to GTAI from the UK has also risen sharply.

http://www.gtai.de/GTAI/Navigation/EN/Meta/Press/press-releases,t=brexit-effect-reflected-in-germanys-fdi-figures,did=1920002.html
  • Options
    The US/North Korea meeting is off, it seems:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44242558
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Plato ?
    Nah it was the Sunil wot won it...
    I thought it was my eloquence that swung the vote.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Plato ?
    Anyone know why she's been suspended from Twitter?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Plato ?
    LOL
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,872

Rogers iey are different.

Perhaps you’d like to offer some argument rather than a string of non sequiturs.

You can’t have learned much as MD. Not structured argument, anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

I don't know what the obsession with being a world power is, I think the country would be much more pleasent with only 15 million here personally :)
    It's the sweet irony that remain types accuse everyone else of harping back to Empire while insisting everyone else worldwide needs to benefit from their mission civilatrice whether they want it or not.

the people who harp on about others being stuck in the past just cant shake that imperial mindset.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616

A Brexit triumph ... for the Germans:

A potential ‘Brexit effect’ has made itself apparent in Germany’s 2017 foreign direct investment (FDI) figures, with the number of UK investment projects jumping by 21%, according to German economic development agency Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI). Currently, the large share of these projects involves service offices opening, but it will be interesting to see whether production facilities are subsequently set up. Also notable was that the UK was the largest source of merger, acquisition and shareholding investment. The volume of enquiries to GTAI from the UK has also risen sharply.

http://www.gtai.de/GTAI/Navigation/EN/Meta/Press/press-releases,t=brexit-effect-reflected-in-germanys-fdi-figures,did=1920002.html

Good news for our current account, our overseas investments and earnings have been very poor for too long.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My position is consistent with what they are saying.

Plato ?
    Anyone know why she's been suspended from Twitter?
    Fake News crackdown?
  • Options
    Just on demographics, in 1300 England had about 5 million inhabitants. That collapsed to 2.5 million by 1400. Similar declines happened elsewhere.

Obviously the Black Death was a prime cause, but the numbers actually declined gradually but steadily before that anyway.

I think it took a couple of centuries to bounce back to the 1300 numbers. How history would've differed is an interesting thing to consider.
  • Options

Rogers iey are different.

Perhaps you’d like to offer some argument rather than a string of non sequiturs.

You can’t have learned much as MD. Not structured argument, anyway.
    lol

my non sequiturs simply follow yours

sometimes it's damned hard to keep up with you
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,508
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

The author is confusing rurality and sparsity. See below for further details:

https://tinyurl.com/y9zt384s
    The article is absolute horseshit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,508
    That’s very diplomatic for Trump.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

UKIP only got 12% because Cameron promised the referendum. And Cummings is not anti-immigration as you should know.

He just has to form a "Brexit Betrayed' movement. It will attract a lot of people - remember there is no other party of protest at the moment. And Tory members, who have made it absolutely clear that they want a real Brexit, will desert the party in droves after May has finished. You might be the only one left!

I think it would be a broader-based manifesto than Brexit Betrayed. It would become an anti-establishment party. The existing governing parties, the House of Lords, the civil service, the BBC - they would have change to all of them in their sights.

It would have a significantly wider appeal than UKIP.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    That line about the nukes is amusing
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JonBrainNews/status/999651695637516288

Looking on the bright side, there are probably lots of cheap flights to Singapore in mid-June....
  • Options

UKIP only got 12% because Cameron promised the referendum. And Cummings is not anti-immigration as you should know.

He just has to form a "Brexit Betrayed' movement. It will attract a lot of people - remember there is no other party of protest at the moment. And Tory members, who have made it absolutely clear that they want a real Brexit, will desert the party in droves after May has finished. You might be the only one left!

I think it would be a broader-based manifesto than Brexit Betrayed. It would become an anti-establishment party. The existing governing parties, the House of Lords, the civil service, the BBC - they would have change to all of them in their sights.

It would have a significantly wider appeal than UKIP.
    Interesting to see whether The Mail or The Sun would flip sides to support it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    New thread.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

On a related note...

In any case I'd hope that the French would be a bit more efficient about spreading the population
    Like the Scots?

3.5 million in 10,000 sq km
    1.7 million in 70,000 sq km
    If only we could work out why certain areas of Scotland have a fraction of the population of 150 years ago. Or why Scotland's population has hardly increased in 100 years while England's, Wales' & Ireland's populations have increased by double figure percentages. Or have a word with the people who've been in charge of immigration and associated economic & industrial policy for the UK.

If only.
This discussion has been closed.