Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s union plans are about culture as much as cash

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Meanwhile the borrowing figures look better - for last year.

http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/001930.html

Public sector net borrowing in August was £13.2 billion, still very high, but down on the £14.4 billion figure for August 2012. Cumulative figures for the April-August period also suggest borrowing is on the way down: £46.8 billion versus £50.5 billion.

The idea that borrowing was stuck at around £120 billion a year is also challenged by the new figures: the 2012-13 deficit is now put at £115.7 billion, down £2.8 billion on 2011-12.

The figures suggest the public finances are benefiting from stronger activity. In April-August taxes on production (including VAT) were up 3.8% on a year earlier, while taxes on income and wealth were up by 3.3%. Over the same period government current expenditure was up by 2.6%.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited September 2013
    F1: time to party like it's 2007:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24171278

Some say Alonso could go to McLaren, next year.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Slackbladder, indeed. Complaining GTA is violent and in bad taste is somewhat like complaining Metal Gear Solid has too much exposition.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    JonathanD said:

Fenster said:

I'll be buying McBride's book next week. I find the Brown/Blair guerrilla warfare years fascinating. Given that one could barely put a fag paper between Blair and Brown's early political ideologies it is amazing how divided they became. The pursuit of power clouded Brown's mind, judgement and career.

I suspect very few who worked for or against Brown between 1980 and 1997 will deny his quality, or perhaps, his 'greatness'. But his unpreparedness for the job of Prime Minister will forever be his legacy: a clear indication that after 2000 he spent too much of his enormous resources on battling Blair and engaging in paranoid and spiteful insurgencies rather than planning with clarity for the job that would one day inevitably be his.

A Greek tragedy indeed, and McBride's take as an insider will be well worth reading.

As Peter Oborne points out, the poison of spinning was not all with Brown's team

"I was a political reporter throughout the Blair era, and there is no mystery at all why Mr Brown felt that he needed to employ McBride and Whelan.

Gordon Brown employed them because Tony Blair employed Alastair Campbell.

Numerous ministers were targeted by Mr Campbell and his team of Downing Street spin doctors during his time at No 10 from 1997-2003. The viciousness of the briefing – and the willingness to destroy the reputations of decent people who were members of the government – was utterly shocking."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100237005/why-did-gordon-brown-need-damian-mcbride-because-tony-blair-had-alastair-campbell/
    Agreed, there were no flies on Campbell either. But it started with Charlie Whelan.

From memory - and Rawnsley's "Servants of the People" goes into detail about it - the rot started to set in when Blair's team became concerned, around 1998, about Charlie Whelan, Brown's spin doctor. Whelan was regularly going off-piste and straying dangerously close to trouble and Blair had Campbell shut him down. After that, the paranoia on Brown's side began to gradually rise and the era of consensus between PM and Chancellor started to irrevocably decline.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Mick Twister @twitmericks
    There is an old Labourite spinner
    Who's owned up to being a sinner.
    He smeared & he lied
    Yet @DPMcBride
    Still couldn't make Gordon a winner.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Good article Henry. But I suspect it wont be Labour's relationship with the unions that'll stop them getting to the promised land.........

It's Ed fiddling while Rome burns......
  • Options
    tim said:

One thing's to be sure:

Poly Toynbee and any other journalists who knew what was going on:

a) Didn't help the Labour Party.
    b) Don't deserve to be journalists.

Enjoy it while you can.
    I've been fairly consistent in criticising the media on here. In respect to politics, it has been obvious for years that the lobby has been too close to politicians, and that publishing the truth (legal issues aside) is not the main aim of many political journalists.

But worse, many journalists have been complicit in ignoring poor behaviour whilst publishing lesser stories about other politicians. It's corruption, plain and simple. It makes all the fine words about protecting sources so much guff.

Clifford made a living out of this, as he readily admitted. Find out a story is about to be published about one individual, and get the editor to spike it by giving another story about someone else. (Mods: hope that's okay to say).

And yes, I daresay there have been Conservatives engaging in such dark arts. Perhaps they are worse than the stories that we all knew were coming out in this book - or perhaps not. The scale of McBride's operation is quite something, especially when you realise there was a counter-operation from the Blairites.

But they were more than just attempts to get one over political rivals. Some of the stories were attempts to destroy the careers of people in their own party.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    Guidos pic shows UKIP's line up looking exceedingly white...
  • Options
    Actually ultimately this will actually be good for labour in the long run. The boil of fear and loathing at the heart of new labour needed to be lanced, and the poison and puss needs draining.

Quite what the fall out will be, and in short term not good for either Ed, they might have a chance to move on from the Blair/Brown years, and need to do that. If they can do it with either Ed at the helm, then that's another question.

The new young guns like the Reeves and Creasy's etc won't be tainted by this.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

tim said:

One thing's to be sure:

Poly Toynbee and any other journalists who knew what was going on:

a) Didn't help the Labour Party.
    b) Don't deserve to be journalists.

Enjoy it while you can.
    I've been fairly consistent in criticising the media on here. In respect to politics, it has been obvious for years that the lobby has been too close to politicians, and that publishing the truth (legal issues aside) is not the main aim of many political journalists.

But worse, many journalists have been complicit in ignoring poor behaviour whilst publishing lesser stories about other politicians. It's corruption, plain and simple. It makes all the fine words about protecting sources so much guff.

Clifford made a living out of this, as he readily admitted. Find out a story is about to be published about one individual, and get the editor to spike it by giving another story about someone else. (Mods: hope that's okay to say).

And yes, I daresay there have been Conservatives engaging in such dark arts. Perhaps they are worse than the stories that we all knew were coming out in this book - or perhaps not. The scale of McBride's operation is quite something, especially when you realise there was a counter-operation from the Blairites.

But they were more than just attempts to get one over political rivals. Some of the stories were attempts to destroy the careers of people in their own party.
    I think it is fair to say that the Cameron, Miliband and Clegg leaderships all deserve enormous credit for the way they've eschewed personal smears and briefings. I'm sure that they all have spin doctors working away at attack lines, but neither leader seems to want to engage in street-fighting, tribal politics the way Brown's team did. I'd argue that the Cameron and Miliband have turned their back on underhand communication-management (witness the way Campbell would reward 'on-message' journalists and turn his back on others, till they came on side), and rightly so, but at their own expense.

Makes for less interesting bloodsport politics than it did under the Brown days though. I detested him, but miss him. He was a fascinating politician.
  • Options
    Iain Dale's long account of how he came to publish the book concludes with this:

"Royalties from sales of the book will be split between Damian McBride’s current employers, CAFOD (the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development), and the appeal by his former employers, Finchley Catholic High School, to build a new sixth form centre."

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2013/09/20/damian-mcbride-me-and-his-brilliant-book

Those who don't wish to line Damian McBride's pockets but who want to read the book may buy it with a clean conscience.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    JonathanD said:

As Peter Oborne points out, the poison of spinning was not all with Brown's team

"I was a political reporter throughout the Blair era, and there is no mystery at all why Mr Brown felt that he needed to employ McBride and Whelan.

Gordon Brown employed them because Tony Blair employed Alastair Campbell.

That's a fair point. The degree to which New Labour corrupted and hollowed out first the Labour Party itself, then the political establishment, and then the nomenklatura, and even parts of the police and the charity sector, is still something which I don't think has fully been appreciated. Iraq and David Kelly were of course the most dramatic examples, but the whole of the New Labour years were just spin over substance, headlines over sensible policy, vilifying opponents as the principal tool of politics..

I'd like to be able to say 'Never again', but I don't think we're rid of it yet.
  • Options
    UKIP The Party for white people..has a certain ring to it..
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    One for TSE:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/i-am-utterly-pathetic-says-nagging-voice-in-iphone-queuers-head-2013092079652

“I am such a pathetic dupe, queueing like some Dickensian orphan for my dollop of corporate techno-gruel.

“If only I had a bit more self-esteem I might be able to resist the marketing.”
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Iain Dale's long account of how he came to publish the book concludes with this:

"Royalties from sales of the book will be split between Damian McBride’s current employers, CAFOD (the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development), and the appeal by his former employers, Finchley Catholic High School, to build a new sixth form centre."

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2013/09/20/damian-mcbride-me-and-his-brilliant-book

Those who don't wish to line Damian McBride's pockets but who want to read the book may buy it with a clean conscience.

Depends if you think these so called "charities" are a good cause or now. Ask the former boys from St Augustines if they want more kids going to a cult school.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

One for TSE:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/i-am-utterly-pathetic-says-nagging-voice-in-iphone-queuers-head-2013092079652

“I am such a pathetic dupe, queueing like some Dickensian orphan for my dollop of corporate techno-gruel.

“If only I had a bit more self-esteem I might be able to resist the marketing.”

My choice in footwear shows I have high self esteem

• Options
    King Juan Carlos of Spain to announce abdication at 4 pm today Spanish time. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    Stockie said:

King Juan Carlos of Spain to announce abdication at 4 pm today Spanish time. You heard it here first.

That's one hell of a first post.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Stockie said:

There's absolutely nothing on the wires [how old fashioned is that?!] so I'll be rather impressed should it turn out to be true.

Where's the betting angle?
  • Options
    Stockie said:

Welcome to PB, although I fear what your second post might be. After all, you'll have to try to beat that first one.

How about: "Queen of England to marry a burqa-clad Martian in ceremony officiated by a Moonie."

And again, welcome.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

antifrank said:

Stockie said:

There's absolutely nothing on the wires [how old fashioned is that?!] so I'll be rather impressed should it turn out to be true.

Where's the betting angle?
    Southam's our Spanish expert.

We need his thoughts.
  • Options
    On another note, the VC-10 is being retired from RAF service today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-24165590

I never flew on one, but they were nice planes.
  • Options
    Off-topic (but good article Our 'Enry):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24174586

Surely it is time to rethink our law-enforcement agencies? The various armed-wings of t'Labour Party are no-longer worthy of any respect....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @antifrank

Aren't indulgences great!
  • Options

Noisy. Had rear-facing seats when I flew on them. [They also cured me of travel-sickness. Wierd....]

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2013
    Dougie knifted the poor Wendy!
  • Options
    Mr. Stockie, welcome to pb.com.

Quite a first post, as others have said!
  • Options
    F1: P1 is underway in Singapore. An interesting piece I read the other day (http://wheels.morethanafan.net/2013/09/16055/setup-guide-singapore-gp-marina-bay/) suggests that times from today should be effectively discounted as qualifying and the race will have a significant fuel effect.

This is because the race is practically at sea level, increasing the weight of the fuel. Also, the pit stop will take a long 29s, so being kind to the tyres (supersoft and medium) could pay a big dividend.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I'd like to be able to say 'Never again', but I don't think we're rid of it yet.

What McBride's account reveals is the list of priorities of the protagonists.

Getting a decent deal for the voter seems to come nowhere.
  • Options
    Guido – “McPoison is finally admitting what we knew all along, for cash. Polly Toynbee has just been on the Today programme admitting that she knew what was happening as well.”

Brings a whole new meaning to Polly’s appeal to ‘hold your nose and vote for Gordon’ – Coupled with her support for the utterly discredited Johann Hari, we should have expected no less – The woman is morally bankrupt.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Dougie knifted the poor Wendy!

Possibly my favourite typo

We know he knifed her, but I quite like the suggestion he also knitted her
  • Options

Noisy. Had rear-facing seats when I flew on them. [They also cured me of travel-sickness. Wierd....]

I much prefer rear facing seats and always try to choose them when we are on choppers. They are also, apparently much safer in a ditching or crash. I know there was a suggestion a few decades ago that passenger aircraft should have rear facing seats but it was thought passengers wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @tim - No, I think the Labour Party should take responsibility for nearly two decades of corrupting civic society, something unprecedented in the UK. If it was just one spin doctor getting over-enthusiastic, that would be forgivable, but it wasn't: it was systematic, ruthless, and completely intentional, involving the whole of the New Labour leadership as well as the backroom spinners and smearers. It was so pervasive that it also infested the police, the NHS, charities, quangos and the civil service. The whole disaster was based on two things: vilifying opponents, and judging favourable headlines as the entire objective of not only government, but also civic administration.
  • Options
    Not much to say really except for anyone on the centre left this is a very depressing day. Labour is unfit to govern while people like Ed Balls hold positions of power in the party. He needs to go away, but he won't. Over time, if EdM's reforms get through, Labour will become more democratic, the membership will become more powerful and it will be harder for dysfunctional morons like Gordon Brown to manipulate things to their advantage. But that time has not come yet. So, it looks like we are stuck with the Tories for a few more years. I very much hope that EdM does get his reforms through so that Labour can start to build something that is relevant for the 21st century and which recognises the realities of today's Britain and its place in the globalised economy. That party does not yet exist. All very sad.
  • Options
    Stockie said:

Feeble - no reference to Cameron, on a bed, in bare feet, red box.

Must try harder!

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Not much to say really except for anyone on the centre left this is a very depressing day. Labour is unfit to govern while people like Ed Balls hold positions of power in the party. He needs to go away, but he won't. Over time, if EdM's reforms get through, Labour will become more democratic, the membership will become more powerful and it will be harder for dysfunctional morons like Gordon Brown to manipulate things to their advantage. But that time has not come yet. So, it looks like we are stuck with the Tories for a few more years. I very much hope that EdM does get his reforms through so that Labour can start to build something that is relevant for the 21st century and which recognises the realities of today's Britain and its place in the globalised economy. That party does not yet exist. All very sad.

Sad yes, but you'll still vote for them.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609

Wildly O/T: a constituent has urged investment in what appears to be a company aiming to create a sort of secondary market in government solar panel subsidies. I don't have any money to invest, but I'm curious all the same, and there are others here who know more about bonds than me. Would they think this a good proposition?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-2423718/A-Shade-Greener-woos-investors-18-upfront-rate-year-retail-bond.html

No such thing as a free lunch...
  • Options

I much prefer rear facing seats and always try to choose them when we are on choppers. They are also, apparently much safer in a ditching or crash. I know there was a suggestion a few decades ago that passenger aircraft should have rear facing seats but it was thought passengers wouldn't like it.
    I'm pretty sure there's evidence of people in rear-facing seats suffering far fewer and less serious injuries in train crashes - though the difference will be much reduced when you are wearing a seat belt.
  • Options

If Ed Balls is in place I won't. I need to see concrete evidence of change. It probably means I won't vote at all.

• Options

In my distant and rather fuzzy memory, I seem to recall a study by BR saying that motion sickness was greater in rear-facing seats on trains, for some reason, and even (especially?) if seated near a window. If my memory's correct, then perhaps the effect is worse on planes?

(A pure guess: perhaps our brains have evolved to react to us moving forwards, and can process us going towards things more easily than going away from them. Unless early man was taken to running backwards).
  • Options

If Ed Balls is in place I won't. I need to see concrete evidence of change. It probably means I won't vote at all.

You should, civic duty and all that, at least spoil your paper as a protest. I won't vote blue as long as Osborne is CoE so I'll simply look for what embarsasses the local MP the most.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    *** Betting Post ***

The German election is looking like an interesting punt. The odds on a grand coalition (CDU/CSU + SDP) have been shortening rapidly. A couple of nights ago I got on at 2.75 and 3.1. Those odds are no longer available, but the bookies still disagree quite sharply:

CDU/CSU+FDP: 2.25 Paddy, 1.8 Ladbrokes, 1.5 Unibet
    CDU/CSU+SDP: 1.57 Paddy, 2.25 Ladbrokes, 2.0 Unibet

An arb is tempting but not without risk, as other odd combinations such as CDU/CSU+Greens can't be ruled out (this being PR, it's all about haggling in smoke-free rooms after the election).
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I'm pretty sure there's evidence of people in rear-facing seats suffering far fewer and less serious injuries in train crashes - though the difference will be much reduced when you are wearing a seat belt.
    Not really difficult to see why.

Forward facing in a crash: All the force of the deceleration is transmitted through the belt. On a plane, this is going to cause serious trauma to your stomach and pelvis. Smashing into the seat in front or the steering wheel makes matter worse still. 5kg of head and neck are not restrained and whiplash or a severed spine can be the outcome.

Rearward facing seat: The force of the deceleration is transmitted through the seat, supporting your head and whole back. On a train, the only risk of a flattened nose comes from someone sitting opposite you.

Given the focus on aircraft safety, I'm surprised that *not one* aviation authority has made this a requirement for civil aircraft. You get airsick? Don't look out of the window!
  • Options

In my distant and rather fuzzy memory, I seem to recall a study by BR saying that motion sickness was greater in rear-facing seats on trains, for some reason, and even (especially?) if seated near a window. If my memory's correct, then perhaps the effect is worse on planes?

(A pure guess: perhaps our brains have evolved to react to us moving forwards, and can process us going towards things more easily than going away from them. Unless early man was taken to running backwards).
    We have rear facing seats in some Scania crewcab versions. It's a grim experience on a bluelight call, if you're unfortunate enough to have be the bloke facing the wrong way!

• Options
    Re: McBride a few points
    1. The Telegraph's links to McBride and Labour were very extensive, that was why they rejected Guido Fawkes first offer with the inside scoop on McBride's antics years ago.
    2. On this website (polbetting) we have no regular smear merchant for the Lib Dems and none for the Conservatives nor for the Greens nor for UKIP. Yet in "tim" we have a regular smear merchant for Labour just like McBride was. Is there something in Labour's drinking water?
    3. The way that the Guardian hacks behaved went beyond holding their nose.
    4. The revelations about what McBride did whilst he was a civil servant and not a spad, does invite the question as to why his conduct "in office" is not brought up and investigated by the Head of the Civil service. Ideally a public enquiry led by a Judge!. We the tax payers funded a partisan person from our taxes who must have broken a number of civil service codes - where is the justice for us?

Finally (in a told you so voice) I did post many times on here that McBride's book would be very important. Oh deep joy.
  • Options
    For NickP on the bonds.
    These look no better and no worse than other small retail corporate bonds.
    The thing to remember is that, whenever they pay the interest, they will hold onto the total amount until the date of redemption.
    So if you invest £1000, they may give you £180 back straight away (rather than £60 a year), but you will have to wait for three years to get the £1000 back, which will depend on the company being able to pay it.
    As these bonds are not tradeable, as I understand it, there is no chance of selling at a profit during the three year period, and no chance of selling at a loss part way through to minimise the damage if the company looks like going bust or you need to get your hands on the money.
    You're safer taking 3% to 5% per annum from a large multinational traded corporate bond, but the 6% rate here might be attractive if you're happy with the risk that the company may not be able to pay it back.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    TGOHF said:

Forgive me father but I am being brave and confessing my sins.

It's all for charidee of course - you know sending money to teach wee africans to worship the church - you know the one with the huge gold plated palace in Italy filled with treasures worth more than the GDP of africa. I am confessing and saying 3 hail Tonys - can I go to heaven now ?

Puke.

I take it you'll be singing "Our fathers knew thee Rome of old, and evil is thy fame."
  • Options
    Mr Farage's speech now on.

http://www.ukip.org/conferencelive
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Don;t forget mass immigration

And there was that mischievous almost sixth-form mentality about the labour government as typified by Liam Byrne's final 'there's no money left' note.

Oooh, we've just sold a bucket of the nation's gold at rock bottom prices.......pfft!! yikes!!!!
  • Options
    F1: brief extra thought on Alonso to McLaren in 2014. If the Mercedes engine is 100bhp, or anything like it, better than rivals than that could be a critical advantage for him. And if he plans on going there in 2015 anyway, maybe it would make sense to just go sooner rather than later and enjoy that one-off advantage for a season (McLaren shift to Honda engines in 2015).
  • Options
    Genuine question: How did people find a bed and breakfast before the internet?

Would you just turn up somewhere and look around until you found one?
  • Options
    The thing that really bugs me about the Blair/Brown spat is that Blair had a stonking majority, the country was full of hope, the economy wasn't bad (Brown had abolished bust, after all), and New Labour could really have been a game changer, built a significantly better nation. Turns out, they were too busy trying to feck each other over, too busy building empires, to take the big, bold decisions.
    What a wasted opportunity.
  • Options

either you'd have a guide listing them and phone ahead or use a tourist office.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

tim ... PB's very own version of McBride...

That's wildly unfair...... on McBride
  • Options

How did one do ANYTHING before the internet?

The answer to your specific question is that you bought or borrowed a book listing B+Bs.
  • Options

The phone book, from memory. Also ads in papers.

• Options

Local tourism boards/offices
    Advertising in Magazines
    Yellow Pages

I mean, it did happen.
  • Options

The thing that really bugs me about the Blair/Brown spat is that Blair had a stonking majority, the country was full of hope, the economy wasn't bad (Brown had abolished bust, after all), and New Labour could really have been a game changer, built a significantly better nation. Turns out, they were too busy trying to feck each other over, too busy building empires, to take the big, bold decisions.
    What a wasted opportunity.

I remember 'Dizzy thinks' doing a back-of-the-envelope sum that if New Labour had cut taxes, instead of increasing government spending, they could have eliminated income tax.

• Options
    I think I'll buy Mcbride's book. It sounds like a modern version of the Twelve Caesars.
  • Options

In my case, I'd just get a travel guide, and 'phone round.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    On facing backwards and seat belts, the story of the HANS device is very interesting. It stops the head/helmet shooting forward and chopping through the spinal cord in a crash.

It mandatory in almost all four-wheel racing now. NASCAR was one of the last to include this rule, which game in following the death of Dale Earnhardt. Indy 500 winner Earnhardt had previously referred to the device as "that damn noose". The "noose" would almost certainly have saved him, as it would have saved Ayrton Senna.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Not really difficult to see why.

Forward facing in a crash: All the force of the deceleration is transmitted through the belt. On a plane, this is going to cause serious trauma to your stomach and pelvis. Smashing into the seat in front or the steering wheel makes matter worse still. 5kg of head and neck are not restrained and whiplash or a severed spine can be the outcome.

Rearward facing seat: The force of the deceleration is transmitted through the seat, supporting your head and whole back. On a train, the only risk of a flattened nose comes from someone sitting opposite you.

Given the focus on aircraft safety, I'm surprised that *not one* aviation authority has made this a requirement for civil aircraft. You get airsick? Don't look out of the window!
    This is why we got a rear facing child seat for our toddler...

• Options
    Anecdote - mrs scrap has got the telly on with Farage speech on mute.

Just come in to say he looks really odd when talking his chin/neck keeps lurching forward every few seconds.

Not quite a king abdicating but damn important info I'm sure you agree..... keeping my standards as per normal.
  • Options

To a certain extent, then yes. – However, there were also plenty of guide books and publications available at the time, including the AA, RAC and various agencies that would rate B&Bs with ‘star’ ratings. – And of course the telephone had been invented back then…!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    then why did you oppose gay marriage?

(fao: N Farage, currently re-defining UKIP)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Today's Populus Lab 39 Con 33 LD 11 UKIP 9
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited September 2013
    Anecdote Alert...

Here at work we have bbc news24 on mute on TVs dotted about the place (feck know why)
    Farage looks quite hot and sweaty - not good.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I have to say that Southam Observer's comments today are a welcome antidote to Tim's attempt to ignore the main story of the day. It proves that not all on the left lack a segment of principle.

I remain deeply sceptical about the timing of today's revelations - especialy if Ed Miliband pretends he knew nothing and is the new broom to sweep clean.
  • Options
    very boring Farage speech, btw.

We get it. You don't like Europe. Great. We're thrilled.

What about health, education, the railways, god give the euro thing a rest.

heading easilly <5% at GE2015. Perhaps 3%.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Populus @PopulusPolls
    New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 39 (-1); Cons 33 (=); LD 11 (=); UKIP 9 (=); Oth 8 (+2) Tables popu.lu/s_vi200913
  • Options
    tim said:

Labour on 39 in todays YouGov too before the strange weighting adjustment for the second day running

Ah I see YouGov has a 'strange' weighting adjustment. What a 'strange' world you must live in!

• Options
    Labour.. still soaring away.. a full 6 points... amazing achievement
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

very boring Farage speech, btw.

We get it. You don't like Europe. Great. We're thrilled.

What about health, education, the railways, god give the euro thing a rest.

heading easilly <5% at GE2015. Perhaps 3%.</p>

To be fair he talked about Grammar Schools, meat and drink to the older 90% of the Tory Party

Michael Savage ‏@michaelsavage 16m
    Significant that Farage is flagging up new grammar schools campaign - more destabilising for Tories. See this: http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/only-more-grammars-can-offer-parents-real-choice-8827013.html
    ah missed that bit, picked it up mid-euro/immigration rant. Which he is still on...

• Options
    ...and on...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    tim said:

Labour on 39 in todays YouGov too before the strange weighting adjustment for the second day running
    To be fair today's Yougov weighting adjustment was rather more justified than yesterday's but still looks to me to be about twice the amount justified by the past vote and party ID figures .
  • Options
    Did he say that 92% of crime in London was committed by Romanians?

Aren't 10% of court cases for non-payment of the TV license?

Does this mean that the majority of crime in London is committed by Romanian non-license fee payers?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

On facing backwards and seat belts, the story of the HANS device is very interesting. It stops the head/helmet shooting forward and chopping through the spinal cord in a crash.

It mandatory in almost all four-wheel racing now. NASCAR was one of the last to include this rule, which game in following the death of Dale Earnhardt. Indy 500 winner Earnhardt had previously referred to the device as "that damn noose". The "noose" would almost certainly have saved him, as it would have saved Ayrton Senna.

I'm not sure it would have saved Senna. Senna was not killed by a basilar skull fracture, but by a piece of suspension puncturing his helmet's visor. If anything, his helmet was forced back, not forwards. A pure fluke.

However, the sadly much-forgotten Roland Ratzenberger, who died the day before, did die of a spinal fracture.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Ratzenberger

Prof Watkins implemented another safety device in F1 at about the same time. Several drivers in other formulae had been seriously injured whilst being extracted out from their cars after spinal injuries. Initially he specified two boards, one that could be slid under the driver, and one along the back. These could then be secured together so that the driver could be slipped out without their back moving. This was a stop-gap until the teams could alter the cars to allow removable seats.

Another rather simple regulation was a unified tool and system between all teams for removing the harness (seatbelt). This was apparently after a rather embarrassing incident in testing, involving a knife and an uninjured driver. At least uninjured until they tried to cut the harness ...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    tim said:

@SeanT

It's worse than you think, the conspiracy has continued under the Tories too

Net migration to the UK increased in the year ending December 2012, the Office for National Statistics says.

Not only did Labour bring in immigrants to upset the Tories, they hypnotised the Tories into bringing in immigrants to upset themselves.

Have YouGov given any explanation as to why they've made the changes?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Did he say that 92% of crime in London was committed by Romanians?

Aren't 10% of court cases for non-payment of the TV license?

Does this mean that the majority of crime in London is committed by Romanian non-license fee payers?

92% of ATM crime.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    If AfD make it to over 5% that would set quite a precedent in Germany. There is no eurosceptic consensus in Germany so in 2017 the CDU could face their own UKIP problem like the Tories.
  • Options

SouthamObserver that is to your credit. I will pay more attention to your views in future.

• Options
    Has Nigel Farage explained how his campaigning for a Miliband/Balls government will help achieve any of his aims?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    So basically the entire political and media class knew what the goblins were up to but kept it to themselves?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2013
    The significance of this Yougov is that the 1 point lead makes the 0 point lead survey far less of an outlier.

Apparently McBride's book tries to be loyal to Balls but spills the beans on the rest, I just wonder if Balls denying (at the time of the resignation) that he knew McBride well, is undermined by the book's contents?
  • Options

Has Nigel Farage explained how his campaigning for a Miliband/Balls government will help achieve any of his aims?

He's campaigning for UKIP, not Labour. Do keep up!

• Options
    tim said:

David Jones ‏@DavidJo52951945
    Farage- challenges LabLibCon to close doors to Romanian and Bulgaria but they will do nothing

Are the Tories going to tell these xenophobic scum to f*ck off?

Are Labour or Libs?
  • Options

I think he wants small-c conservative Tory voters to switch parties.

Just a guess though.
  • Options
    tim again proving that lefties aren't obsessed with race - lol.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

I share many of your reservations. I do think a centre-left Liberal Democrat Party could have had a positive impact on Labour. Having now been taken over by Clegg and a few uber-Liberals that all looks pretty unlikely. Balls is a problem but he does have his strengths. No-one would deny he is knowledgeable on economic matters as he showed in the leadership election. Unless he was swapped for his wife there simply isn't an obvious replacement for him though. It's all a great shame as the last 20 years presented a great opportunity for non-Conservative forces to really re-shape this country. For all sorts of reasons so much of it was flunked.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan hints that he could for run London Mayor http://bit.ly/17OqsjH

Tipped by Henry G Manson when he was at 33/1 on Politicalbetting in Mar http://bit.ly/YK5zyw
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If AfD make it to over 5% that would set quite a precedent in Germany. There is no eurosceptic consensus in Germany so in 2017 the CDU could face their own UKIP problem like the Tories.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that they're fishing in the same pool as the CDU. It's the FDP who need to worry about them.

PS. Since we went and used the word "eurosceptic" for people who are sceptical about the EU, we're now stuck for a name for people who are sceptical about the Euro. I'm not sure what to do about it, but using the same word for both is causing all kinds of confusion.
  • Options
    tim said:

Tipped by Henry G Manson when he was at 33/1 on Politicalbetting in Mar http://bit.ly/YK5zyw

That was a great tip whatever happens

Ed has proposed that, for the next London Mayoral election, Labour will use a “primary” to
    select our candidate. Any Londoner should be eligible to vote in that selection provided they
    have registered as a supporter of the Labour Party at any time up to the ballot. This draws
    on experience in other countries, which have seen an enormous outreach to new supporters
    in the course of a primary process.

Thats from the Collins review.
    So somebody from Tower Hamlets will get the nomination ?
  • Options

Wow! That would be some tip if that came off. Almost on a par with your Barack Obama tip, Mike.

Have people on here ever heard about that one?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

Ed has proposed that, for the next London Mayoral election, Labour will use a “primary” to
    select our candidate. Any Londoner should be eligible to vote in that selection provided they
    have registered as a supporter of the Labour Party at any time up to the ballot. This draws
    on experience in other countries, which have seen an enormous outreach to new supporters

Picking him is to prevent that.
  • Options
    "Nigel Farage
    I've no doubt by 2015 they'll all be offering a referendum but I don't believe they're sincere. Let's make May 22nd that referendum"

twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/381016737506144256
  • Options
    Tim is so desperate today - his instructions are clear DON'T MENTION MACBRIDE DON'T MENTION MACBRIDE DON'T MENTION DON'T DON'T MAC MAC BRIDE BRIDE.........................
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

Wildly O/T: a constituent has urged investment in what appears to be a company aiming to create a sort of secondary market in government solar panel subsidies. I don't have any money to invest, but I'm curious all the same, and there are others here who know more about bonds than me. Would they think this a good proposition?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-2423718/A-Shade-Greener-woos-investors-18-upfront-rate-year-retail-bond.html

Nick: 2 words of warning. Investors in such bonds are not protected under the FCA Compensation scheme (which is not the case if you invest in a 2 year bond with the Nationwide) and you can lose all your money. There's a reason why the interest is high and paid up front. And that's because it is a riskier investment. So if your friend doesn't want to take that level of risk, he/she shouldn't invest.

Do your own due diligence / this is not financial advice etc etc......

• Options
    MrJones said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

Picking him is to prevent that.
    The Collins report says it will be a primary - you suggesting that the Collins report is of Andrex quality ?
  • Options
    CCHQ Press Office ‏@RicHolden 2m
    PA: "Labour leader Ed Miliband knew about the activities of disgraced former spin doctor Damian McBride, Dame Tessa Jowell has claimed."

Time to grab popcorn...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@tim - No, I think the Labour Party should take responsibility for nearly two decades of corrupting civic society, something unprecedented in the UK. If it was just one spin doctor getting over-enthusiastic, that would be forgivable, but it wasn't: it was systematic, ruthless, and completely intentional, involving the whole of the New Labour leadership as well as the backroom spinners and smearers. It was so pervasive that it also infested the police, the NHS, charities, quangos and the civil service. The whole disaster was based on two things: vilifying opponents, and judging favourable headlines as the entire objective of not only government, but also civic administration.

Don't forget the mass immigration engineered "just to rub the noses of the Right in diversity". That claim doesn't seem so absurd now. In fact it seems perfectly believable. Labour let 3m immigrants into Britain, solely to upset the Tories

Oooh, I feel a blog comin' on.
    When they say "The Right" they don't just mean Tories they mean everyone who isn't 100% politically correct.
This discussion has been closed.