Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB might now be back level pegging in voting polls but Corbyn

13»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Floater said:

Doh! Jeremy Corbyn

https://order-order.com/2018/04/20/corbyn-forgets-israel-independence-day/

The militant fighter against Anti semitism who errrr does nothing.

But but but he once went to a dinner with a commie Jews who want to see the destruction of Israel....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Anyone got the Perth & Kinross result yet? Its actually quite key as the Council is currently 16 Tories, 15 SNP plus some also rans. If the SNP win they may well regain control of the Council.

Kevin Alcock - @kevina364: Highland (Perth & Kinross) 1st pref Con 1907 SNP 1466 Ind 280 Lab 239 Green 104 LD 79 Ind 12 - Con Hold after round 6 on STV -1st Pref Swing (May 2017) SNP-Con 1.9%
    Good results for the Tories in both Wales and Scotland today then
    Turnout in the Highland ward was 56%. Pretty incredible for a local authority by-election. It really is trench warfare in that part of Scotland between the Tories and the SNP.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Some people may not like Owen Jones (I don’t agree with all of what he says) but in period in which Corbyn’s Labour is polling 40%, it’s important to get an insight into how Corbynistas see the world. In that sense, he’s useful (his YouTube channel isn’t bad either - his interviews with various political figures including JRM, Hitchens and Soubry are pretty interesting). As it happens, I think the charge of ‘groupthink’ is something which could be applied to both the Labour Party leadership and the media.

Yes, I follow Owen Jones on Twitter. But (imo) his desperation to be allowed back into the Corbynite circle of trust [which he'll never be] has increasingly affected the quality of his output.
    Back into?
    Yes, before the great betrayal...
    I thought that before that he was a Blairite whipping dog who then ratted to join the proletariat heros. Surprised that a rat ever got inside the circle of trust... that he re-ratted* is just proof that it should never happen again.

* and only Churchill gets to re-re-rat. And Owen ain’t Churchill...
    You can join the heroes from whatever tradition cf. Emily Thornberry. But betrayal can't ever be forgiven.
    Any one can join, but that’s different to being in the circle of trust? Has Thornberry achieved that?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

Its an interesting question how long the polling companies continue to include them in the polling when the party is clearly dead and unlikely to fight another campaign in a meaningful way. They risk distortions once that 4% find out there is no UKIP candidate to vote for.
    Does anyone know whether pollsters still prompt for UKIP? Some did for a while.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Some people may not like Owen Jones (I don’t agree with all of what he says) but in period in which Corbyn’s Labour is polling 40%, it’s important to get an insight into how Corbynistas see the world. In that sense, he’s useful (his YouTube channel isn’t bad either - his interviews with various political figures including JRM, Hitchens and Soubry are pretty interesting). As it happens, I think the charge of ‘groupthink’ is something which could be applied to both the Labour Party leadership and the media.

Yes, I follow Owen Jones on Twitter. But (imo) his desperation to be allowed back into the Corbynite circle of trust [which he'll never be] has increasingly affected the quality of his output.
    Back into?
    Yes, before the great betrayal...
    I thought that before that he was a Blairite whipping dog who then ratted to join the proletariat heros. Surprised that a rat ever got inside the circle of trust... that he re-ratted* is just proof that it should never happen again.

You can join the heroes from whatever tradition cf. Emily Thornberry. But betrayal can't ever be forgiven.
    Any one can join, but that’s different to being in the circle of trust? Has Thornberry achieved that?
    I think she has. If not before last night's QT, then certainly now.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Anyone got the Perth & Kinross result yet? Its actually quite key as the Council is currently 16 Tories, 15 SNP plus some also rans. If the SNP win they may well regain control of the Council.

Kevin Alcock - @kevina364: Highland (Perth & Kinross) 1st pref Con 1907 SNP 1466 Ind 280 Lab 239 Green 104 LD 79 Ind 12 - Con Hold after round 6 on STV -1st Pref Swing (May 2017) SNP-Con 1.9%
    Turnout in the Highland ward was 56%. Pretty incredible for a local authority by-election. It really is trench warfare in that part of Scotland between the Tories and the SNP.
    You have to assume, on those figures, then many voters did not wait until the second round to give SCons their vote
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

So effective that the SNP MP is now anti-referendum :p
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/987315572726738946

Oh god, Annie Duke...what is he doing reading a book by the dodgy individual...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I suspect the SNP are unlikely to regain much if any from the Tory GE gains last time and they face bigger pressure from Labour in the central belt.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Moderator, please delete this. I - we - can't go through it all again.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    edited April 2018
    felix said:

He also doesn't get how the left view gay rights. Clue: look at Russia.
    Can you you give us a break down of the leftist ideology of the governing United Russia party, just for clarity's sake?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So effective that the SNP MP is now anti-referendum :p

He's just a Tartan tory... :smiley:
  • Options
    The 1.9% SNP-Tory swing since 2017 on turnout of 4086 should be worth an additional 77 votes to the Tories. Pete Wishart's majority in Perth and North Perthshire is 21.

Just saying.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    I just noticed the cracking betting heat between @Charles and @AlastairMeeks as to who reaches my vote tally from last year first (19,182, not that I remember details like that, you understand).
  • Options

I just noticed the cracking betting heat between @Charles and @AlastairMeeks as to who reaches my vote tally from last year first (19,182, not that I remember details like that, you understand).

@DavidL has already pipped both of us to that post.
  • Options

@DavidL has already pipped both of us to that post.
    Sailed past like a true Scottish Tory (well, most of the time).
  • Options
    I see old Julian takes the Dave approach to footer.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/987298458108399621

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    In plain English, if you don't switch, your chance remains the random 1/3rd that you had at the outset. Whereas it is more likely (2/3rds) than not (1/3rd) that you have chosen one goat and the host is showing you the other, therefore you should switch.
  • Options

felix said:

Can you you give us a break down of the leftist ideology of the governing United Russia party, just for clarity's sake?
    Ask the Russian ambassador to the UK. He'll give you the answer you want..
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

It's ok, you can just admit you don't know.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

In plain English, if you don't switch, your chance remains the random 1/3rd that you had at the outset. Whereas it is more likely (2/3rds) than not (1/3rd) that you have chosen one goat and the host is showing you the other, therefore you should switch.
    JESUS CHRIST WE ARE NOT HAVING THIS AGAIN
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Talking of Russia, the main topic on the daily political talkshow on state TV yesterday was "Syria fake gives Russia the advantage in the information war".
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Charles said:

In the politburo there was no circle of trust...
  • Options
    Can we change the subject and talk about something less controversial and depressing, like Brexit?
  • Options

Charles said:

In the politburo there was no circle of trust...
    I'm reminded of that Saddam clip we had a couple of weeks ago. Terrifying.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Can we change the subject and talk about something less controversial and depressing, like Brexit?

You chose door 1. Theresa May opens door 3 and reveals a grindingly mediocre future where we are bound to EU rules with no say, and we become a client state. Do you switch?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Floater said:

Doh! Jeremy Corbyn

https://order-order.com/2018/04/20/corbyn-forgets-israel-independence-day/

The militant fighter against Anti semitism who errrr does nothing.

Does your reading ever stretch beyond Guido?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited April 2018

IanB2 said:

JESUS CHRIST WE ARE NOT HAVING THIS AGAIN
    unless those seventh day folks have the last laugh...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

Charles said:

There's only one British political figure who thinks he's Churchill. I wonder when he'll rat on Brexit?
    Churchill never ratted. He stuck to his principles whilst the parties changed their positions around him.
  • Options
    1968 London locals... I'm not that hopeful we can retake Islington, tbh.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Will Michel Barnier permit Wenger to leave or must he stay inside the dugout for a transition period of 5 seasons ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I think Owen Jones is undoubtedly right about the nepotism and cronyism that exists in the mainstream print media. What I find perplexing is why he doesn't rail against exactly the same thing in the and around the Labour leadership team. The number of privately-educated, middle class, middle aged men that Corbyn surrounds himself with is way and above the proportion that exist within society generally.

Ironically, Jones himself jumped straight into being a columnist in a national newspaper without having done any of the journalistic legwork that most columnists have done. He has never worked in the newsroom of a national paper or a local one, he has never covered a beat, he does not have short-hand, he has never been a reporter or a correspondent. I can understand why all those journalists who have - however they got their jobs - will be pissed off at his comments.

In my little world - which is B2B - there are very few people who owe their positions to anything other than hard work, inside industry knowledge and talent. Nobody's daddy ever got them a job on IAM or WTR, I can tell you :-)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited April 2018
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Well, Nadal crushed Thiem. Pretty poor considering the (not counting today's match) 5-2 record, expected it to be a shade closer.

Edited extra bit: I see someone considered the below post to be off-topic. It's a post about politics, on a politics site. It's hard to see how it can be more on-topic without actually including a tip. *sighs*

"Mr. W, not seen that, but there was a recent BBC three part series about the changes Crown Prince Thingummyjig are making in Saudi Arabia. It was quite interesting (rather Brave New World[ish], with more commercial/social freedom but, if anything, even less political freedom)."
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Meannwhile, in England, you Tories lose both seats that you were defending to the Lib Dems. What does this mean, I wonder....?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

I think Owen Jones is undoubtedly right about the nepotism and cronyism that exists in the mainstream print media. What I find perplexing is why he doesn't rail against exactly the same thing in the and around the Labour leadership team. The number of privately-educated, middle class, middle aged men that Corbyn surrounds himself with is way and above the proportion that exist within society generally.

Ironically, Jones himself jumped straight into being a columnist in a national newspaper without having done any of the journalistic legwork that most columnists have done. He has never worked in the newsroom of a national paper or a local one, he has never covered a beat, he does not have short-hand, he has never been a reporter or a correspondent. I can understand why all those journalists who have - however they got their jobs - will be pissed off at his comments.

In my little world - which is B2B - there are very few people who owe their positions to anything other than hard work, inside industry knowledge and talent. Nobody's daddy ever got them a job on IAM or WTR, I can tell you :-)

This:

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/987281533013757953
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Oops Jeremy you got me and win an Order of Lenin.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    rkrkrk said:

Which countries do you think have a better media than Britain?
    At least here we have the BBC.

The German media are significantly better IMO. The broadsheet:tabloid balance is reversed (only one big tabloid) and they try to give a reasonable airing to different viewpoints. Television is BBC-level neutral - they do have pundits expressing an opinion, but always big a big sign behind them saying "OPINION" - which is fair enough.

I also think the US print media aren't that bad - USA Today makes a positive fetish of publishing both sides. The main problem is that they just aren't very interested in foreign news at all, worse than the British media (who in turn are much worse than most Continental media that I've seen).
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Meannwhile, in England, you Tories lose both seats that you were defending to the Lib Dems. What does this mean, I wonder....?

That Uncle Vince should be telling his party to prepare for government, of course.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/joncstone/status/987331771611123713

Is he calling Hary Cole or Owen Jones a ‘appalling little shitweasel’ ?
  • Options
    Perhaps Owen Jones (Oxbridge) would like to start #changeiscoming by voluntarily give up his Guardian column and giving it to a non-oxbridge journalist?

Thought not...
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Perhaps Owen Jones (Oxbridge) would like to start #changeiscoming by voluntarily give up his Guardian column and giving it to a non-oxbridge journalist?

Thought not...

Or perhaps he could be on performance related pay, based upon profits / sales of the Guardian?
  • Options
    #OwenJonesGate seems to have proved a bottletrap for stone-throwing glasshouse dwellers of many different stripes. David Aaronovitch having the effrontery to accuse someone else of being a pamphleteer is particularly ripe.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Vince tells you to go back to your constituencies and prepare for......more disappointments?
  • Options

Probably because, like me, their dads had no idea what they were?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

#OwenJonesGate seems to have proved a bottletrap for stone-throwing glasshouse dwellers of many different stripes. David Aaronovitch having the effrontery to accuse someone else of being a pamphleteer is particularly ripe.

At least noone could ever accuse Nicholas Soames of getting where he is today through family connections.
  • Options

Bit harsh.

Aaronovitch began his career as researcher, then producer of Weekend World. So I think that counts as having a proper grounding in journalism.
  • Options

Thought not...

Or perhaps he could be on performance related pay, based upon profits / sales of the Guardian?
    Owen is against zero hours working. :smiley:
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

IIRC uniondivvie supports the SNP.
  • Options

Bit harsh.

Aaronovitch began his career as researcher, then producer of Weekend World. So I think that counts as having a proper grounding in journalism.
    He spent most of Tony Blair's second term of office cheerleading for war.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/joncstone/status/987331771611123713

Is he calling Hary Cole or Owen Jones a ‘appalling little shitweasel’ ?
    If it is Owen, then probably an improvement on what Michael Dugher (@MichaelDugher) called him.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Titillating... you should really mark that as NSFW :smiley:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    PClipp said:

It means you still haven't learnt from history that local election success does not translate into General Election success.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

He has hinted at it in the past.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Yes, I have had a suspicion for some time that his name on here is intended to be ironic.
  • Options

Yeah, I side-eyed that tweet from him.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Pulpstar said:

At least noone could ever accuse Nicholas Soames of getting where he is today through family connections.
    I have to say that "appalling little shitweasel" isn't really up there with his grandfather's ringing oratory. Then again who knows what Winston would have done with Twitter?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why delete your account over something so minor? Just delete the tweet or say you were mistaken.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    On the subject of the media, I commend the Guardian for two outstanding pieces of investigative journalism on Cambridge Analytica and Windrush. Potentiallya third one with their on-going investigation into the murder of Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

PClipp said:

It means you still haven't learnt from history that local election success does not translate into General Election success.
    Oh I do wish Martin Day was back on here,never had so much fun with him and the lib dems ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Why delete your account over something so minor? Just delete the tweet or say you were mistaken.
    Hodges seems to be saying he was hounded off twitter. But I've no idea, not been following this story. Too busy watching #OwenJonesGate

I need to get out more.
  • Options

Oh I do wish Martin Day was back on here,never had so much fun with him and the lib dems ;-)

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/987335869156732929
  • Options
    RobD said:

If May can't match this she really ought to go, don't you think?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Hodges seems to be saying he was hounded off twitter. But I've no idea, not been following this story. Too busy watching #OwenJonesGate

I need to get out more.
    Do I need to stock up on popcorn again?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The results for the country are rather less catastrophic this time. Although I am sure that his twitter account was an excellent source of comedic material for those so inclined.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I need to get out more.
    Of course Nick Timothy wasn't hounded off twitter. A fair amount of scepticism was expressed firmly and he came in for a degree of mockery as well. But as compared with what some women MPs seem to have to put up with on a daily basis, it didn't even make the needle tremble.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I need to get out more.
    Do I need to stock up on popcorn again?
    Think it may be over for time being. All the rich, public school educated journos have headed off for the weekend to their second homes in Cotswolds, where there's no signal.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Also, given that Jones has accused the media of groupthink, they’ve not really shown that accusation be wrong today.
  • Options

Think it may be over for time being. All the rich, public school educated journos have headed off for the weekend to their second homes in Cotswolds, where there's no signal.

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/987337091506933761
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

Of course :p

I assume dark blue is double Tory? The voters were so enthusiastic about them that they voted twice.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I need to get out more.
    Of course Nick Timothy wasn't hounded off twitter. A fair amount of scepticism was expressed firmly and he came in for a degree of mockery as well. But as compared with what some women MPs seem to have to put up with on a daily basis, it didn't even make the needle tremble.
    Apart from being dishonest, accidentally making his former boss look totally incompetent and incapable of controlling her department, bringing up a completely unhelpful precedent of her behaviour when she was trying to deal with Windrush and being peculiarly inept as political lies go lacking the robustness of, say, tissue paper, what was wrong with his comments?
  • Options

Also, given that Jones has accused the media of groupthink, they’ve not really shown that accusation be wrong today.

That's a point well made.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Don't see anything wrong with what she was trying to achieve except the mistake of people that have been here from the commonwealth for years.

Why don't we admit that the pressures of mass immigration over the last 10/15 years especially from eastern Europe has caused the home office in desperation to look at easy targets like the older generation from the commonwealth.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

I assume dark blue is double Tory? The voters were so enthusiastic about them that they voted twice.
    Dark blue: Tory who wet to Oxford
    Light blue: Tory who went to Cambridge.

• Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Dark blue: Tory who wet to Oxford
    Light blue: Tory who went to Cambridge.

Its so obvious when you explain it.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    edited April 2018

Scott_P said:
    Don't see anything wrong with what she was trying to achieve except the mistake of people that have been here from the commonwealth for years.

Why don't we admit that the pressures of mass immigration over the last 10/15 years especially from eastern Europe has caused the home office in desperation to look at easy targets like the older generation from the commonwealth.
    Yes, it’s always the Pikeys’ fault.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    New thread.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If it's true,then it looks like she's a gonner, time for kwarsi kwarteng for the home office.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yes, it’s always the Pikeys’ fault.
    Racist tw*t.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    "Do you approve/disapprove of Corbyn's performance"

The more you delve into Mrs May's past in the Home Office the murkier it gets. The problem with Corbyn's performance is that he's given her a free ride. All this sackcloth and ashes stuff over Labour's anti-Semitism-which was never going to fly because people didn't buy it-was a hue mistake. Mrs May who should now be on the verge of committing hara-kiri looks like she might get away with it
This discussion has been closed.