Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP 2015 could be like Cleggasm 2010 – putting on votes wh

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    @TSE

Mr Eagles time to finish off that cockroach post. Once again Cleggy has popped out from under the floorboards having seen off Huhne and Cable. Nick Rex Blattariae, cross him at your peril.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

Unheard of - Lab defection to UKIP. I thought they were blue-notes only?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband-is-weak-says-labour-ukip-defector-8824159.html

I'm sure Andrea can tell us if he was recently deselected.

I see he's a Barking Councillor. Obvious one for UKIP then.
    The best hope for UKIP next year is in next-door Havering, where the Conservative group is falling to pieces, and which has a long record of voting for Residents/Ratepayers candidates.

• Options

PFinch said:

One wonders what the effect on the HoC would be should UKIP poll in GE 2015 around the 25% that they have in almost every actual poll in 2013.

Maybe even more, should they comfortably exceed that figure in the Euro 2014 lottery voting.

Conventional wisdom says they'll do exceptionally well to poll 10% - but the whole point about UKIP is that they are NOT a conventional party - still less a wise one!

The same sages who say UKIP will poll under 10% would have said (in 1997-2009) that the SNP will never form a majority administration in Holyrood.............

I'd like to see some source on the notion that they've polled around 25% in almost every actual poll in 2013? The most recent ICM (aka Gold Standard) poll put them at 9% so the notion that they might poll around 10% is not exactly absurd according to that polling.

In fact I can't find a single poll by any pollster where they have EVER hit 25% let alone that being the average that they're around. They've been around the 8-13% mark in recent months.
    I think PFinch was referring to real polls where votes are cast as opposed to opinion polls.

• Options

Nailed it! Much like the england footballers who get selected, the best we've got but no more.

Janan Ganesh@JananGanesh
    This lumbering Clegg speech shows why Cameron made it to the top. He's not a great politician but he is the best of a thin generation.

Strange. I think Clegg's approval ratings were higher than Camron's at the last election. I'd suggest the most obvious reason Cameron is PM and not Clegg is that he's a Tory who inherited a party with 200 MPs not a Lib Dem who inherited a Party of 60 MPs.
    Strange. I think the fact Cameron took his party of 210 MPs and gained an additional 96 MPs while Clegg took his party of 62 seats and lost 5 also played a part in it being Cameron who is the PM.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    That Searcy's champagne bar in St Pancras is awesome.

Agreed 100%. Expensive but worth it. Wife and I had a cracking lunch there recently. Perfect start to a week-end away....
  • Options

PFinch said:

One wonders what the effect on the HoC would be should UKIP poll in GE 2015 around the 25% that they have in almost every actual poll in 2013.

Maybe even more, should they comfortably exceed that figure in the Euro 2014 lottery voting.

Conventional wisdom says they'll do exceptionally well to poll 10% - but the whole point about UKIP is that they are NOT a conventional party - still less a wise one!

The same sages who say UKIP will poll under 10% would have said (in 1997-2009) that the SNP will never form a majority administration in Holyrood.............

I'd like to see some source on the notion that they've polled around 25% in almost every actual poll in 2013? The most recent ICM (aka Gold Standard) poll put them at 9% so the notion that they might poll around 10% is not exactly absurd according to that polling.

In fact I can't find a single poll by any pollster where they have EVER hit 25% let alone that being the average that they're around. They've been around the 8-13% mark in recent months.
    I suspect he's referring to the local elections in May, and subsequent local by-elections.

Local elections however, are not General Elections.

• Options
    The Kippers won't like this one... and its from UKIPhome

Yet it is reasonable to reflect that a Party appealing to malcontents will reap what it sows.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/localgovernment/2013/09/ukip-start-shedding-councilllors.html
  • Options

PFinch said:

I think PFinch was referring to real polls where votes are cast as opposed to opinion polls.

Ah like the traditional Lib Dem mantra that it is local by-elections in mid-term which matter so go home and prepare for sweeping into government?

Does anyone seriously believe that local election results should be taken literally as General Election results which are double the opinion poll results?
  • Options
    The most interesting tweet I read about the clegg speech was that he boasted about blocking some tory measures.

Those boasts could come back to haunt him.....
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Nailed it! Much like the england footballers who get selected, the best we've got but no more.

Janan Ganesh@JananGanesh
    This lumbering Clegg speech shows why Cameron made it to the top. He's not a great politician but he is the best of a thin generation.

Strange. I think Clegg's approval ratings were higher than Camron's at the last election. I'd suggest the most obvious reason Cameron is PM and not Clegg is that he's a Tory who inherited a party with 200 MPs not a Lib Dem who inherited a Party of 60 MPs.
    Strange. I think the fact Cameron took his party of 210 MPs and gained an additional 96 MPs while Clegg took his party of 62 seats and lost 5 also played a part in it being Cameron who is the PM.
    Clegg problem was that he was a part of a Party that wasn't seen as one that could win whereas Cameron was. He also inherited a Party that was on about 13% in the polls, whereas the Tories were on 33% pre-Cameron. If you don't think Clegg faced a much bigger task than Cameron to become PM I'm wondering what planet you're on. The most obvious explanation for their relative statuses is the Parties they chose.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Scores on the doors for Lib Dems:

Danny Alexander: 8/10. Excellent. Made a major contribution to controlling government spending and ensuring that the burdens of cuts are shared more fairly than they might have been otherwise. Driven the increase in personal allowances which will be the number 1 plank for the Lib Dems at the next election.

Vince Cable. 4/10. Done some good work in the car industry but failed with deregulation and generally been disappointing in supporting business, particularly exports. Still likes his "uncle Vince" role on the BBC too much.

Ed Davey. 1/10. He gets 1 because the serious disappointments in energy policy are not entirely his fault. Chris Huhne must get some of the blame. Probably the largest single failure by the Coalition.

Nick Clegg 6/10. Largely ineffective in front of office but has clearly worked hard to keep the wheels turning behind the scenes. Embarrassed himself on tuition fees, HoL reform and AV referendum but generally an essential part of the government.

Michael Moore 0/10. Who? Doubt his own mother remembers him.

Out of Cabinet Steven Webb has been a star. In the long run his pension reforms have probably saved this country more money than Danny Alexander.
  • Options

PFinch said:

Ah like the traditional Lib Dem mantra that it is local by-elections in mid-term which matter so go home and prepare for sweeping into government?

Does anyone seriously believe that local election results should be taken literally as General Election results which are double the opinion poll results?
    No, I was just clarifying what the post was referring to. I do my best to be a UKIP realist so I am incredibly hopeful they might get 10% but even that seems a hard ask.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,675
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2013

Clegg problem was that he was a part of a Party that wasn't seen as one that could win whereas Cameron was. He also inherited a Party that was on about 13% in the polls, whereas the Tories were on 33% pre-Cameron. If you don't think Clegg faced a much bigger task than Cameron to become PM I'm wondering what planet you're on. The most obvious explanation for their relative statuses is the Parties they chose.
    Its much easier to be the big fish in a small pond. If you think that people simply choose which Party they want to join and then simply waltz into becoming that Party's leader then I'm wondering what planet you're on? There is no guarantee whatsoever that a Tory Nick Clegg would have ever become party leader.

We can look beyond there General Election performance where Cameron added 96 MPs to his 210 and Clegg lost 5 of his 62 and look at their respective Leadership Elections.

David Cameron did manage to win a leadership contest against many more potential candidates in a bid to become Leader of the Opposition. He won over the support of more MPs than the Lib Dems have in total. He won over two-thirds of the membership election vote, over twice as many as his nearest rival.

Nick Clegg fought to be leader of the distant third party. He managed to win 50.6% of the vote, nearly 1/7th total votes as Cameron got and just pipped out subsequently-imprisoned Chris Hughne who achieved 49.4% of the vote and nearly beat him.

Tell me again why we should assume Clegg could so easily win the bid to become leader of the Tories had he "chosen" to do so given he only scraped a narrow victory to become leader of the LDs?

EDIT: Typo
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,675
    On topic, a good example is Christchurch in Dorset where UKIP could win a very large number of votes but the Tories will still hold it comfortably.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    looking down that list, it's still obvious that the real impact of UKIP is stopping Cons winning seats. It's were they where 10 years ago and only the scale has changed.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    On topic.

My view on what the graph shows is the impact of LibDem ground campaigning. This happens in LibDem seats, but not C/L battlegrounds. Hence the Cleggasm effected voting changes the most where LibDem ground war was the least.

The consequence is that the reverse Cleggasm should have the opposite effect, more voting change in C/L seats, least in LibDem seats.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PFinch said:

I suspect he's referring to the local elections in May, and subsequent local by-elections.

Local elections however, are not General Elections.

I was.
    Hence 'actual polling' in my post.

D'oh!

Opinion polls may move financial and betting markets, incite debate both here and elsewhere, lead to the defenestration of Party Leaders (and much more besides).
    But they all mean diddly-squit in terms of actually VOTING for something with REAL people in REAL elections.

So the next two events of genuine import will be Euro 2014 and the ScotIndy Ref

Unless there's a Party leadership election, of course!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Maddest QT line up ever ? One to miss.

BBC Question Time ‏@bbcquestiontime 2m

Tomorrow in Rochdale: Ken Clarke, @HarrietHarman, Shirley Williams, Antony Worrall Thompson @AntonyWT and Laurie Penny @PennyRed #bbcqt
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2013
    @DavidL

"Danny Alexander: 8/10."

With Tory voters that's likely which is why he'd probably score zero with Lib-Lab tactical voters of which there are probably more than there are 2010 Lib Dems still loyal.

I would happily have voted Lib Dem last time though next time it would be dependent on both Alexander and Clegg having no status whatsoever in the party
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    edited September 2013

@TSE

Mr Eagles time to finish off that cockroach post. Once again Cleggy has popped out from under the floorboards having seen off Huhne and Cable. Nick Rex Blattariae, cross him at your peril.

I will do, I have updated it slightly.

Have also compared Clegg and the Lib Dems to Caesar and the Populares

Post the general election, for the Lib Dems, it seems they've been engaged in the Battle of Dyrrhachium.

They should remember that if they hold their nerve, the 2015 General Election will be their Battle of Pharsalus*

*auto-correct changed that to the Battle of Phallus, which amused me no end.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    PFinch said:

The local elections in 2014 will be just as important as the Euros on the same day. They might not have the same coverage but being FPTP the local results in, for example, London should give a better steer towards GE outcomes than the list elections for the Euros in that region.
  • Options
    Maddest QT ever

Hopefully the Burqa will come up. I would love to know what those two feminist warriors Harman and Williams think.

The mood of the crowd when that garment is discussed will be interesting, too.
  • Options
    Neil said:

PFinch said:

The local elections in 2014 will be just as important as the Euros on the same day. They might not have the same coverage but being FPTP the local results in, for example, London should give a better steer towards GE outcomes than the list elections for the Euros in that region.
    I think UKIP's vote share in the locals will be way above what they could expect in the general election, though. I think a lot of UKIP councillors will get elected on the coat-tails of their EU Parliamentary candidates.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Another of Mikes threads on wishful thinking.
    Talk about looking into crystal balls.

Well let me make a prediction that UKIP will win more seats than the L/Dems.

No they won't. As a UKIP member I would love that to be true but there is no way on earth that UKIP will get more seats than the Lib Dems even if they beat them on votes.

UKIP might get a single seat if the conditions are perfect. More realistically I believe they will rack up probably 10% of the national vote but will remain without a seat.
    Are you truly a UKIP supporter Tyndall, because you always put the darkest forcast for UKIP success? Not a ray of sunshine are you, and of course UKIP wont get any seats if all supporters and members had your outlook; thank the lord they don't.
    IMHO, the party will be doing well to win 7% nationwide in General Election conditions. That is, after all, more than 2 million votes.

Realistic, SeanF. My prediction is 6% and this doubling their vote to 2 million. It will hurt the Tories in certain places.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Neil said:

PFinch said:

I think UKIP's vote share in the locals will be way above what they could expect in the general election, though. I think a lot of UKIP councillors will get elected on the coat-tails of their EU Parliamentary candidates.
    I agree - like when they got 2 seats on the London Assembly when it coincided with the Euros in 2004.
  • Options
    PFinchPFinch Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    Sean_F said:

Neil said:

PFinch said:

I agree entirely.

Which is why I think GE 2015 might well see a much greater UKIP vote than many currently predict.

Caveat: That's also based on the currently widespread & deeply-held belief that the current crop of politicians & political ideologies got us into this mess but the current Party leadership (& Whitehall, who come from the same narrow educational & experience background) haven't a clue how to get us out of it.

Once I hear a Party Leader explaining how they plan to reduce the DEBT, then I'll start to take notice. Until then, Cameron Clegg and Milliband are simply speaking for the sake of generating hot air: nothing they propose will make one iota of difference to the steadily rising debt interest we have to pay, which current costs £48 billion pa and might easily rise to over £150 billion pa.

And how on Earth are we going to fund THAT? It would have been a delight to hear Clegg announce the spending cuts he and his party had driven through, against the fierce opposition of the CotE and PM. Instead, we had a £600 million pa food subsidy for children whose parents should have thought about funding their feeding before they had them.

I've read that it's the LDs quid pro quo for backing a Marriage Tax Allowance. If so, it means the LDs are supporting feckless, rapidly-breeding benefit scroungers (many of whom appear to be immigrants, judging from recent ONS data on parental origin of new births) and against responsible, stable, family-orientated deeply British, small-c conservative hard working families.

Good luck with selling THAT in a GE campaign! Though why on Earth Cameron and Osborne agreed to this reckless squandering of £600 million pa, Lord alone knows.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Sean_F said:

Neil said:

PFinch said:

I agree - like when they got 2 seats on the London Assembly when it coincided with the Euros in 2004.
    It's a shame the two Assembly members turned out to be who they were.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Roger said:

@DavidL

"Danny Alexander: 8/10."

With Tory voters that's likely which is why he'd probably score zero with Lib-Lab tactical voters of which there are probably more than there are 2010 Lib Dems still loyal.

I would happily have voted Lib Dem last time though next time it would be dependent on both Alexander and Clegg having no status whatsoever in the party

TBH Roger, I would be surprised if you agreed with any of my scoring. If Miliband becomes PM, however, I think he will be grateful for all of the hard work done by Mr Alexander over the previous years which will make his job a little easier than it might otherwise have been.

• Options
    PFinch said:

I've read that it's the LDs quid pro quo for backing a Marriage Tax Allowance. If so, it means the LDs are supporting feckless, rapidly-breeding benefit scroungers (many of whom appear to be immigrants, judging from recent ONS data on parental origin of new births) and against responsible, stable, family-orientated deeply British, small-c conservative hard working families.

Admit it, you dont really understand what's been proposed or who it will impact on, do you?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Just to report that I had an argument with a car in Glasgow yesterday. Nothing too serious except lots of cuts and brusies. It could have been a whole lot worse.

I'm feeling very sorry for myself.

Could have been worse - most cars carry chibs in weegie land...

Seriously though, hope you're ok.
    You have obviously never been in Glasgow and seen the contents of a car then. Any dolt would know that persons having the propensity to carry a chib do not have cars.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Hope you're ok, Mr. Smithson.
  • Options
    A survey of voting intentions conducted by Ipsos Mori revealed 59% said they would vote No in September 2014 and 31% would vote Yes. A further ten percent of voters remain undecided.

I think the changes are zero from the last Ipsos-Mori poll in May

http://news.stv.tv/politics/239979-referendum-stv-ipsos-mori-poll-shows-no-campaign-has-28-point-lead/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited September 2013
    @mikesmithson hope you are on the mend. Plenty of good places sell wine in Glasgow.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Free school meals is a great policy from the Lib Dems. Especially amusing to see how they will deal with it at a local level. Having attacked Labour every single time we have done it!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Sympathies, MIke - get better soon!

The Ashcroft poll appears to show the UKIP effect on Con/Lab marginals to be quite significant. That said, even if three quarters of the UKIP supporters in that poll were to switch to Con (surely as far as it's possible to imagine), the Conservatives would still be behind. There is no substitute for them making inroads on the 2010 Lab/Lib vote.
  • Options

A survey of voting intentions conducted by Ipsos Mori revealed 59% said they would vote No in September 2014 and 31% would vote Yes. A further ten percent of voters remain undecided.

I think the changes are zero from the last Ipsos-Mori poll in May

http://news.stv.tv/politics/239979-referendum-stv-ipsos-mori-poll-shows-no-campaign-has-28-point-lead/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If I've read that correctly the SNP core vote is Rab C Nesbitt.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Paging our Scottish posters.

I need your help.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting a few Scottish people, and one of them has the surname "Balloch"

How the heck do I pronounce that, without embarrassing both of us, and earning a Glasgwegian kiss in the process?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I need your help.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting a few Scottish people, and one of them has the surname "Balloch"

How the heck do I pronounce that, without embarrassing both of us, and earning a Glasgwegian kiss in the process?

if in polite company Mr Testis
  • Options

I need your help.

That't not helping Mr Brooke.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Mike , are you up to att

I need your help.

Alan, an easy one , Ba - Loch , where Loch does not equal Lock

Should have been for TSE
  • Options
    Shirley Williams on QT. Again. With the light fingered Tory chef and the excruciating Ms Penny. Jesus wept.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Try this.

http://www.forvo.com/word/balloch/

Just hope you don't have to meet a Mr Glasscock.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, 'bal-ok' would seem likeliest.

Hmm. Wasn't he the villain in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or was that Bellocq?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, 'bal-ok' would seem likeliest.

Hmm. Wasn't he the villain in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or was that Bellocq?

Morris , that would get you a kick in them
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mike , are you up to att

I need your help.

malc you're hoping an englishman can master a guttural "ch".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

On topic, a good example is Christchurch in Dorset where UKIP could win a very large number of votes but the Tories will still hold it comfortably.

UKIP seem to be trialling a 'Focus' mailshot in Dorset.

twitter.com/ukipwebmaster/status/380126010517098497/photo/1
  • Options
    Mr. G, it's not my fault Mr. Eagles is meeting with a French archaeologist assisting the Nazis in 1930s Egypt.
  • Options

Mr. G, it's not my fault Mr. Eagles is meeting with a French archaeologist assisting the Nazis in 1930s Egypt.

if he was French it would be BAL - LOSH.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mike , are you up to att

I need your help.

malc you're hoping an englishman can master a guttural "ch".
    Alan, I was stumped as to how to explain that. Be a laugh to be there though and hear him murdering it.
  • Options
    Maybe not, Mr. Brooke. He could pronounce it the German way, as per Wenger (I know some Germans would say Ballosh, but I was taught to pronounce 'ch' hard, rather than soft).
  • Options
    Malcolm/Alanbrooke

I've spent time at Loch Lomond, so I think I know how to pronounce Loch in true Scottish fashion.
  • Options
    Is there a book open on whether Mr. Eagles will be kicked in the nuts or punched in the face? :p
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited September 2013
    @tim

How does the Treasury spending more than Labour did make Labours job easier, surely the incoming govt will have to cut more than if Osborne and Alexander had managed to get anywhere near their fantasy deficit reduction programme announced in 2010?

Evening , tim.

Recognise this?
    Public Sector Aggregates: Total Managed Expenditure             
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Year Nominal Change | Real Change | GDP Ratio Change
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling

2005-06 526.4 ˄ 6.26% | 624.7 ˄ 4.34% | 40.6 ˄ 0.74%
    2006-07 553.0 ˄ 5.05% | 638.1 ˄ 2.15% | 40.4 ˅ (0.49%)
    2007-08 586.6 ˄ 6.08% | 660.2 ˄ 3.46% | 40.5 ˄ 0.25%
    2008-09 634.3 ˄ 8.13% | 694.4 ˄ 5.18% | 44.0 ˄ 8.64%
    2009-10 672.5 ˄ 6.02% | 716.4 ˄ 3.17% | 47.0 ˄ 6.82%
    | |
    2005-10 ˄ 27.75% | ˄ 14.68% | ˄ 15.76%
    George Osborne

2010-11 693.9 ˄ 3.18% | 720.5 ˄ 0.57% | 46.2 ˅ (1.70%)
    2011-12 694.6 ˄ 0.10% | 705.1 ˅ (2.14%) | 45.0 ˅ (2.60%)
    2012-13 675.3 ˅ (2.78%) | 675.3 ˅ (4.23%) | 43.1 ˅ (4.22%)
    2013-14 720.0 ˄ 6.62% | 703.9 ˄ 4.24% | 45.1 ˄ 4.64%
    2014-15 730.4 ˄ 1.44% | 700.7 ˅ (0.45%) | 44.1 ˅ (2.22%)

2010-15 ˄ 5.26% | ˅ (2.75%) | ˅ (4.55%)
    The Treasury is not spending more than Brown did in like terms.
  • Options

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

I've spent time at Loch Lomond, so I think I know how to pronounce Loch in true Scottish fashion.

to get the "ch" properly imagine you've woken up in a gay bar in Soho and have half-swallowed something.
  • Options

Is there a book open on whether Mr. Eagles will be kicked in the nuts or punched in the face? :p

Strung up by the Ballochs I should think.
  • Options

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

TSE , you are sorted then
  • Options

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

to get the "ch" properly imagine you've woken up in a gay bar in Soho and have half-swallowed something.
    Perfect
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,022
    Abbott and his ministry were sworn in today and his first act as PM was to sack 3 public service chiefs. He has also merged the overseas aid department into Foreign Affairs (will be giving Tory backbenchers ideas!)
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-18/abbott-sacks-three-public-service-bosses-as-first-act/4965690
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-19/aid-agencies-criticise-ausaid-realignment/4966924
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    malcolmg said:

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

Perfect
    Now lets see him pronounce "sheugh" ;-)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,022
    Dutch King Willem Alexander says 'the welfare state of the 20th century is over'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2423751/Dutch-King-Willem-Alexander-declares-welfare-state-20th-century-over.html
  • Options
    According to Guido the Aussies have abolished, closed down, their Climate Change Ministry...sense at last..
  • Options
    With the Lib Dem selection officially announced today, we now know the 4 main candidates for the Dunfermline by-election on 24 October 2013:

Cara Hilton (Lab)
    Susan Leslie (LD)
    James Reekie (Con)
    Shirley-Anne Somerville (SNP)

As a former MSP (Lothians, 2007-11) Shirley-Anne Somerville is probably the best-known. The former Dunfermline Athletic manager Cllr Jim Leishman would have been a universally kent face in the royal burgh if he'd stood as the Labour candidate, but withdrew last week.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/jim-leishman-bows-to-bill-walker-seat-pressure-1-3091586
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @PFinch

Cameron Clegg and Milliband are simply speaking for the sake of generating hot air: nothing they propose will make one iota of difference to the steadily rising debt interest we have to pay, which current costs £48 billion pa and might easily rise to over £150 billion pa.

PFinch

Just a small point of fact.

Government net cash requirements this year have this year have been negative to the tune of £50 bn cumulative [yes I know I am adding monthly balances].

Here is what used to be known as the "Public Sector Borrowing Requirement" for this year.
    Public Sector Net
    Cash Requirement

Period £ Million

2013 Jan −29 043
    Feb −9 827
    Mar 23 218
    Apr −15 290
    May −1 101
    Jun −988
    Jul −19 640
    Note, the negative figures show a surplus.

Pretty difficulty to see how to get to interest servicing costs in excess of £150 bn per annum on these trends!.
  • Options

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

As a Trekkie, you may find this helpful.

'[qχ] A little like a Klingon q immediately followed by a Klingon H. Close off your mouth as far back as you can, like with q, and force air up, like you're trying to dislodge food stuck in your throat. It sounds a lot like you're choking.'
  • Options
    Best prices - Dunfermline by-election

Lab 1/3 (BetVictor, Ladbrokes)
    SNP 9/4 (Lad)
    LD 25/1
    Con 150/1
  • Options
    Fed back off QE tapering.

Central Banks fighting to keep market interest rates down.
  • Options

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

As a Trekkie, you may find this helpful.

'[qχ] A little like a Klingon q immediately followed by a Klingon H. Close off your mouth as far back as you can, like with q, and force air up, like you're trying to dislodge food stuck in your throat. It sounds a lot like you're choking.'
    Thank you, on so many levels.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

@tim

How does the Treasury spending more than Labour did make Labours job easier, surely the incoming govt will have to cut more than if Osborne and Alexander had managed to get anywhere near their fantasy deficit reduction programme announced in 2010?

Evening , tim.

Recognise this?

Public Sector Aggregates: Total Managed Expenditure             
    Year Nominal Change | Real Change | GDP Ratio Change
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling

2005-06 526.4 ˄ 6.26% | 624.7 ˄ 4.34% | 40.6 ˄ 0.74%
    2006-07 553.0 ˄ 5.05% | 638.1 ˄ 2.15% | 40.4 ˅ (0.49%)
    2007-08 586.6 ˄ 6.08% | 660.2 ˄ 3.46% | 40.5 ˄ 0.25%
    2008-09 634.3 ˄ 8.13% | 694.4 ˄ 5.18% | 44.0 ˄ 8.64%
    2009-10 672.5 ˄ 6.02% | 716.4 ˄ 3.17% | 47.0 ˄ 6.82%
    | |
    2005-10 ˄ 27.75% | ˄ 14.68% | ˄ 15.76%
    George Osborne

2010-11 693.9 ˄ 3.18% | 720.5 ˄ 0.57% | 46.2 ˅ (1.70%)
    2011-12 694.6 ˄ 0.10% | 705.1 ˅ (2.14%) | 45.0 ˅ (2.60%)
    2012-13 675.3 ˅ (2.78%) | 675.3 ˅ (4.23%) | 43.1 ˅ (4.22%)
    2013-14 720.0 ˄ 6.62% | 703.9 ˄ 4.24% | 45.1 ˄ 4.64%
    2014-15 730.4 ˄ 1.44% | 700.7 ˅ (0.45%) | 44.1 ˅ (2.22%)

2010-15 ˄ 5.26% | ˅ (2.75%) | ˅ (4.55%)
    Astonishing that it takes an entire parliament of austerity to undo just the last year of Brownism.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AveryLP said:

Fed back off QE tapering.

Central Banks fighting to keep market interest rates down.

Should help the Lloyds share price tomorrow. ..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Incidentally, the Glasgow papers were reporting that Labour has taken a 6-point lead for the next Holyrood elections, a sharp change from earlier polls. That said, it's a YouGov, whose Scottish panel generally seems more pro-Labour than some, so treat with caution - but the direction of travel is interesting.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Incidentally, the Glasgow papers were reporting that Labour has taken a 6-point lead for the next Holyrood elections, a sharp change from earlier polls. That said, it's a YouGov, whose Scottish panel generally seems more pro-Labour than some, so treat with caution - but the direction of travel is interesting.

It wasn't a YouGov poll per se.

YouGov did the fieldwork for Progressive Scottish Opinion, who did their own post fieldwork adjustments, as they aren't BPC members, we don't get to see what those post fieldwork adjustments are
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    More cast iron evidence of UKIP surge

Andrew Hawkins ‏@Andrew_ComRes 45m

UKIP 9 short of a majority in 2015? the latest voodoo poll http://ht.ly/oZuvB
    Retweeted by Matthew Goodwin
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    isam said:

That's not a surge, I remember during the Cleggasm, a voodoo poll showed the Lib Dems on 60%.

37% is nothing

Edit: Just seen the question, talk about push polling.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

Perfect
    LOL, he could practice with this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM2DVuRMY6s
  • Options
    edited September 2013

AveryLP said:

@tim

Evening , tim.

Recognise this?

[chart removed]

Astonishing that it takes an entire parliament of austerity to undo just the last year of Brownism.
    Just a couple of days to go before we get the September release of August's Public Finances Bulletin.

We should be starting to see real improvements in the borrowing figures resulting from the much higher than forecast growth this year.

We can already see the impact in the cash figures I quoted to PFinch downthread and we have asset sales (Lloyds and Royal Mail) to come too (though not in the upcoming release for August).

Osborne has already committed to a 4.24% real terms increase in spending this fiscal year against the trend of Plan B. The decision to do this came at last year's spending review and was confirmed in the run up to the budget. At the time all the noise was about delaying fiscal consolidation, particularly in the Eurozone but also applying to the UK, in favour of growth and structural reform (mainly labour markets). Osborne did a little dance with the IMF talking about deploying 'automatic stablisers' in response to the call for growth stimulus as his contribution.

Now that we growing near trend (50 year average = 0.6% per quarter), the need for temporary boost to public spending seems a little premature. So what does Osborne do with the windfall? My guess, at this stage of the electoral cycle, is that he will keep to his revised plan and up investments and create scope for tax cuts rather than increase cuts.

So I doubt we will see much improvement in the real terms TME cuts over the parliament. Maybe an improvement to above 3% but I doubt he will go much further.
  • Options

YouGov is always a mile out in Scotland as its weighting is just stupid.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Speedy recovery Mike.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    We should maybe try Eagles out on Duguid or Finzean. :)

malcolmg said:

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

Perfect
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    fitalass said:

malcolmg said:

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

Perfect
    indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAdpQ5-pXA
  • Options
    @mikesmithson Wishing you a speedy recovery Mike.

My youngest lad voted in this mock referendum yesterday. It was a shame that his poll card only arrived at the house by post yesterday while he was at school voting.
    BBC Scotland - Mock Scottish independence referendum sees Aberdeenshire 'no' vote
    "Aberdeenshire school pupils have voted against Scottish independence in a mock referendum.

A total of 8,718 voted no, with 2,847 voting yes, after the count was held at Meldrum Academy.

The referendum takes place in a year's time on 18 September, 2014.

Many of the teenagers will take part for real, with those aged 16 and 17 able to vote in the referendum.

When voters go to the polls they will be asked a straight yes/no question: "Should Scotland be an independent country?""
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    @AveryLP

I remember discussing this before, but I can't remember the conclusion of why financial interventions (on your other 'yellow page') made £1trn difference to the national debt?

isam said:

That's not a surge, I remember during the Cleggasm, a voodoo poll showed the Lib Dems on 60%.

37% is nothing

Edit: Just seen the question, talk about push polling.
    Crisis? What crisis?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

fitalass said:

malcolmg said:

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

Perfect
    indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAdpQ5-pXA
    the lift is still the best one
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hbfjw
  • Options
    Snap, you beat me to it. :)
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Malcolm/Alanbrooke

Perfect
    LOL, he could practice with this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM2DVuRMY6s
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @Grandiose

I remember discussing this before, but I can't remember the conclusion of why financial interventions (on your other 'yellow page') made £1trn difference to the national debt?

Here is the reconciliation between PSND and PSND ex published by the ONS in their most recent Public Sector Finances Bulletin (July).

You will see clearly the difference of a trillion between the two.
    PSF11B Reconciliation of PSND and PSND ex                  
    ================================================================
    £ billion
    2012Q3 2012Q4 2013Q1 2013Q2
    PSND 2,149.1 2,186.8 2,192.6 2,168.7

Less PS bank groups (1) 960.5 956.9 962.9 917.8

Less CG interventions
    Lending 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
    Compensation
    of depositors 4.6 4.3 4.2 4.1
    Share purchases 53.8 53.8 53.8 53.8
    Fees -9.3 -9.6 -9.6 -9.6
    NR plc capital injection 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Total CG interventions 49.2 48.5 48.4 48.3

PSND ex 1,139.4 1,181.4 1,181.3 1,202.7
    ================================================================
    (1) Includes Bank of England Schemes and fees paid to
    central government

PS = Public Sector
    CG = Central Government
    NR = Northern Rock
    PSND = Public Sector Net Debt
    PSND ex = PSND excluding the effect of financial intervention.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JackW said:

JohnO said:

MikeK said:

Another of Mikes threads on wishful thinking.
    Talk about looking into crystal balls.

Well let me make a prediction that UKIP will win more seats than the L/Dems.

Hi Mike, Want to make that our third bet? £100 evens that they don't?
    Such generosity has surely only come from the broadening of the mind through travel !!

I think the furthest destination for SW Trains is Weymouth......
    Exeter St Davids :)
  • Options

Just to report that I had an argument with a car in Glasgow yesterday. Nothing too serious except lots of cuts and brusies. It could have been a whole lot worse.

I'm feeling very sorry for myself.

Sorry to hear that, get well soon!
  • Options
    @Grandiose

The basis answer to your question about the trillion difference between PSND and PSND ex is that PSND includes the net liabilities of the banks classified to the public sector.

It is not shareholding percentage which determines the classification (for example the Treasury have never owned a majority of Lloyds) but a complex analysis of the degree of control a government exercises over the bank.

My guess is that Osborne intends to remove the Lloyds Banking Group from the public sector by 2015 which will result in a massive reduction to PSND and give Osborne much pre-election boasting credit.

[This didn't get through on previous post due to character cap on post.]
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Candidates announced so far for Dunfermline by election

Shirley-Anne Somerville SNP a former MSP
    Cara Hilton Labour a Fife councillor
    Susan Leslie Lib Dem a Fife councillor
  • Options
    Not sure if I'm allowed to contribute to this debate, but:

If we are paying £44 billion pa of interest on the national debt when interest rates are ~2% (as claimed), then what will we be paying on a total debt that's 50% bigger and interest rates in excess of 5% (the more typical rate)?

I've seen several published (in the national papers!) figures which suggest the cost merely of servicing the debt by 2022 will be nearer £200 billion pa than £150 billion. IIRC, the authors assumed that we'd just about have ended the deficit by 2020, since the current projections of ending by 2017 are fanciful in the extreme, not least because of the politics concerned.

Since even £150 billion pa is completely and utterly unaffordable, the assumption was made that we'll either default, slash State spending by an IMF-imposed 50% (a la Greece) or have inflation nearer 15% than 10% as a way of inflating the debt away over 20+yrs.

None of which were remotely acceptable to the author(s), who concluded that we're totally stuffed - and a combination of all of these methods would have to be used, with State spending being cut on an unprecedented scale as the Welfare State ends, the parasite having killed its host.
  • Options
    tim said:

I hope everyone noticed Avery's "so what should Osborne spend his windfall on"
    So Osborne has to borrow £200 Billion+ over and above his 2010 fantasy forecasts and he's got a windfall to spend

Why not throw it at the static London housing market Avery?

The surplus funds are already earmarked for the provision of child benefits to parents in same sex marriages, tim.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TomHarrisMP: #indyref update: Salmond still voting Yes, Darling voting No. We'll bring you more news as it comes in. #riveting
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

Let me add my best wishes to you, Mike. I was sorry to hear what happened to you. Hope you are soon back in full fettle.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Lets hope Lloyds share price doesn't rise too much tomorrow.
    Wouldn't like to think Osborne was operating on a political rather than an economic timetable would we?

Ignoramus! Stick to the myriad of public sector stuff you do appear to understand.

A 90-day lock-up will help the price too in the days ahead - doh, how stupid of Osborne to agree to that too I suppose in your head...

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Simon Blackwell ‏@simonblackwell 2h

Reading Nick Clegg's conference speech. It's like something by Churchill, if Churchill had been a passive-aggressive area manager.
    LOL

Clegg's speech was gloriously bad.
    A true ostrich classic.
    BBC Politics ‏@BBCPolitics 2h

VIDEO: Nick Clegg full speech to conference http://bbc.in/14jbEJi
    Sadly for Clegg it's back to the grind of radio phone-ins and pretending everything will turn out nice as the carnage will continue at next years local and EU elections.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Lets hope Lloyds share price doesn't rise too much tomorrow.
    Wouldn't like to think Osborne was operating on a political rather than an economic timetable would we?

The Treasury have given an undertaking to buyers of the first tranche of LBG not to sell any more shares for another 90 days.

It looks like George is planning quarterly sales of the Treasury's remaining holding up to 2015, provided there are no market shocks over this period.

This constrains flexibility in optimising returns, but expectations are that further tranches will be sold at progessively higher prices.

You will be relieved to know that investors are essentially taking a punt on house prices rising over the sales period. This is due to LBG's dominant market share (around 23%) in the mortgage lending market. It may also explain why the CEO of Barclays (mortgage lending share around 12%) is less keen on Osborne's housing market subsidies than the CEO of Lloyds.

Funny that the 'bankstas' should have more of an eye on competitive advantage within the banking sector than the politics or economics of stimulating the housing market.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2013
    Caveat said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to contribute to this debate, but:

If we are paying £44 billion pa of interest on the national debt when interest rates are ~2% (as claimed), then what will we be paying on a total debt that's 50% bigger and interest rates in excess of 5% (the more typical rate)?

I've seen several published (in the national papers!) figures which suggest the cost merely of servicing the debt by 2022 will be nearer £200 billion pa than £150 billion. IIRC, the authors assumed that we'd just about have ended the deficit by 2020, since the current projections of ending by 2017 are fanciful in the extreme, not least because of the politics concerned.

Since even £150 billion pa is completely and utterly unaffordable, the assumption was made that we'll either default, slash State spending by an IMF-imposed 50% (a la Greece) or have inflation nearer 15% than 10% as a way of inflating the debt away over 20+yrs.

None of which were remotely acceptable to the author(s), who concluded that we're totally stuffed - and a combination of all of these methods would have to be used, with State spending being cut on an unprecedented scale as the Welfare State ends, the parasite having killed its host.

Didn't Mr Osborne decree that interest payments on UK government bonds held by the BoE would now be counted as revenue by the Treasury?

EDIT
    "The Treasury will receive a £35billion windfall from the Bank of England, it was announced today, in an unexpected boon to the Chancellor's budgetary headache.

Governor Mervyn King has agreed that the Bank will hand over interest it has earned on its holding of £375billion in Government debt purchased under the quantitative easing programme.

The extra cash will constitute a bonus reduction to the budget deficit, while also acting as a 'small loosening of monetary conditions' equivalent to more QE, according to the Bank."

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2230579/Treasury-receives-35bn-money-Bank-England-QE-gilts-interest.html
  • Options

Candidates announced so far for Dunfermline by election

Shirley-Anne Somerville SNP a former MSP
    Cara Hilton Labour a Fife councillor
    Susan Leslie Lib Dem a Fife councillor

you missed the tory. see my earlier posts
This discussion has been closed.