Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coporeal on the LSE polling seminar

13»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

tim said:

Pump it up

@thetimes: House prices in England have hit a record high — near-10% leap — average amount paid for a London home is now £438K http://t.co/Gx5jxsBc6c

YAY. Get IN!

I now believe my one bed flat in *cough* Primrose Hill Regents Park Ward, for which I paid £325,000 in 2010, is possibly worth close to £500,000 now. Phenomenal.

Look at this map

http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/2013/09/mapping-gentrification

Look at the brightest red blob (indicating the most rapidly rising prices): bang over the top of Delancey St, corner of Regent's Park. That's me, that is.

Come on Osborne, keep it going. PUMP UP THE PRICES. I want my flat to be worth a MILLION by the election, MINIMUM, or I'm voting UKIP. You Have Been Warned.
    "What's striking about this is how much gentrification is concentrated on just a few areas, typically where there is also a lot of house building—look at the bright red spot over Old Ford, near the Olympic Park, for example. Wander along the canals there and you will see tens of snazzy new apartment buildings and bars, where once there were just knackers yards and abandoned warehouses."

Interesting comment - you demolish a squalid council skyscraper with 2 bed hovels and replace it with a spangly skyscraper 2 bed luxury apartments - what is the effect on average house prices in that area - could be phenomenal - without a single flat being bought 2nd hand.

• Options
    MikeK said:

ANOTHER STIFLING REGULATORY INITIATIVE

Link to the actual proposal or it didn't happen.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

But until that case has been heard and judged in the High Court he is not guilty of anything . I know you would like to prejudge these things , no doubt you also prejudged the Lee Cummings accusations against Hancock until they were found false .

Unless he produces a sick cert again (always likely I suppose) surely this particular process will be resolved in 3 weeks? And asking what punishments are available to the committee is not prejudging the process; it is mere curiosity.
    I don't think any date has even be set for the High Court civil case .
    We were talking about the council disciplinary committee scheduled for 3 weeks' time according to the Michael Crick tweet posted below.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Presumably they could throw him off the council but little else?

For what reason ?
    For the case they say he has to answer. He is facing a disciplinary committee - I was speculating about the range of punishments available to them.
    Since the abolition of the Standards Board, Councils have almost no powers of sanction to errant members apart from censure, following a report from an independent person into the allegations.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

You don;t really care about these do you Mike K? You can't do, given that you would willingly trade at least 5 more years of them to get rid of Cameron.

Kippers would be gutted if we left the EU - who would get the blame then - they are moan addicts.

Same as Scots nats - they love having the Westminster bogeyman - keeps them alive.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Presumably they could throw him off the council but little else?

For what reason ?
    For the case they say he has to answer. He is facing a disciplinary committee - I was speculating about the range of punishments available to them.
    Since the abolition of the Standards Board, Councils have almost no powers of sanction to errant members apart from censure, following a report from an independent person into the allegations.
    That's almost from one extreme to another, isnt it? I agree that the Standards Board was not ideal (to say the least) but to have no sanction at all? With all those Brian Colemans out there?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    TGOHF said:

taffys said:

You don;t really care about these do you Mike K? You can't do, given that you would willingly trade at least 5 more years of them to get rid of Cameron.

Kippers would be gutted if we left the EU - who would get the blame then - they are moan addicts.

Same as Scots nats - they love having the Westminster bogeyman - keeps them alive.
    It's life Harry, but not as we know it.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Neil said:

Neil said:

But until that case has been heard and judged in the High Court he is not guilty of anything . I know you would like to prejudge these things , no doubt you also prejudged the Lee Cummings accusations against Hancock until they were found false .

Unless he produces a sick cert again (always likely I suppose) surely this particular process will be resolved in 3 weeks? And asking what punishments are available to the committee is not prejudging the process; it is mere curiosity.
    I don't think any date has even be set for the High Court civil case .
    We were talking about the council disciplinary committee scheduled for 3 weeks' time according to the Michael Crick tweet posted below.
    If you take any notice of what "friend of Woolas" Crick tweets you are a fool .
  • Options
    I see that Jeremy Clarkson has mooted the possibility of standing against Clegg in Sheffield Hallam. Would he stand any chance of actually winning? That'd be a laugh!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @Neil - I'm 95% sure that's correct but I'm seeing our Chief Exec later this afternoon and will seek confirmation.

Yes, I agree with you: the power of the Standards Board to expel an elected member AND prevent them from re-standing was an abomination and thank goodness it's been consigned to oblivion. But there should be a process still in the most egregious cases for members to be suspended, perhaps for a maximum of 6 months after independent external investigation.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Migration Watch UK @migrationwatch

.@vincecable claims Chinese tourists and Businessmen going elsewhere - Tourists up 13% and Business Visitors up 4% on previous year

• Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Migration Watch UK @migrationwatch

.@vincecable claims Chinese tourists and Businessmen going elsewhere - Tourists up 13% and Business Visitors up 4% on previous year

Those figures in isolation don't mean much, if compared to the growth in overseas tourism among Chinese nationals I would venture that the figures look rather paltry. In comparison to Schengen nations there is little doubt that Britain is lagging for tourists at least, not having direct flights to/from provincial cities isn't particularly helpful either.
This discussion has been closed.