Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boundary conditions. How Brexit might be helping to lay the gr

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited February 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boundary conditions. How Brexit might be helping to lay the ground for the SNP

Some international boundaries are easy to understand. The Pyrenees form a natural frontier between Spain and France. The Kattegat conveniently separates Sweden and Denmark. While in the past each pair of countries has seen their border shift over time, the current resting place looks very natural.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting Alastair.
  • Options
    Brexit begeting Scottish Independence was one of the primary reasons I backed Remain.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,732

Very interesting Alastair.

Stole my first again.
  • Options
    FPT: Good morning, everyone.

F1: Williams unveil their 2018 car.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43079279

First test starts in 10 days.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,760
    Good article. Independence is off the agenda for now. Brexit will have to work for a sceptical population that largely voted against it. A big question is how anxious the English Leave faction is to keep Scotland in *a union.

* A/THE is a fashionable distinction for unions nowadays.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    If anything now we are leaving the single market and customs union an independent Scotland that joined the EEA would be even more difficult on economic grounds as even with a FTA that would see some tariffs with the rUK just as the UK is likely to have with the Republic of Ireland. Implementing monitoring measures as will be used at the Irish border may make it practically simpler but does not change that fact
  • Options

Brexit begeting Scottish Independence was one of the primary reasons I backed Remain.

Except the first post Brexit election saw the SNP lose almost half their MPs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Would you judge the overall success of the Pacific/Asian campaign right after the fall of Singapore?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    FF43 said:

Good article. Independence is off the agenda for now. Brexit will have to work for a sceptical population that largely voted against it. A big question is how anxious the English Leave faction is to keep Scotland in *a union.

It is not off the agenda as far as a lot of people are concerned , well North of 40% still want it and given the way Scotland is being treated over Brexit and Westminster carpetbagging all the devolved powers , it is far from off the agenda.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If anything now we are leaving the single market and customs union an independent Scotland that joined the EEA would be even more difficult on economic grounds as even with a FTA that would see some tariffs with the rUK just as the UK is likely to have with the Republic of Ireland. Implementing monitoring measures as will be used at the Irish border may make it practically simpler but does not change that fact

LOL
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Brexit potentially removes the SNP's version of eat cake and have. While both independent Scotland and rUK are in the EU it has preferential trade with both. After Brexit, it would have to make a choice. Ireland is key. If Ireland is successful, you can be sure there will be moves in Scotland to copy it.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    FF43 said:

FPT:Common law.

I’m not a lawyer so I’m not coming at it from that angle, more a “way of doing things”. The adversarial system (which feeds through into the very lay out of many Parliaments in the English speaking world), the precedence rather than more reliance on individual judges ( which is I believe why many foreigners like deals under English or New York law because it’s more certain). Having watched agog at Spiral ( the French police series - excellent by the way) and the utterly alien and as far as I could see full of holes investigating judge system it just raises a deep seated “ hmm no thanks” in me.

The other thing I did not mention was popular culture where we really are the 51st state and firmly in the Anglosphere. I think that’s a powerful force.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

It is not off the agenda as far as a lot of people are concerned , well North of 40% still want it and given the way Scotland is being treated over Brexit and Westminster carpetbagging all the devolved powers , it is far from off the agenda.
    The SNP government are only paying lip service to independence right now. That will almost certainly change at some point.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Would you judge the overall success of the Pacific/Asian campaign right after the fall of Singapore?
    The fall of Singapore precipitated Japanese dominance of the Pacific/Asian region for years, Brexit has if anything reduced SNP dominance
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

The fall of Singapore precipitated Japanese dominance of the Pacific/Asian region for years, Brexit has if anything reduced SNP dominance
    Years? Within a year they were on the back foot, and just over 3 years they had surrendered.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

It will be when Unionist parties win a majority at Holyrood as current Scottish Parliament polls predict will happen in 2021
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Speaking of Japan

https://twitter.com/womaninhavana/status/964120785840476160
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nice of the Japanese to offer us advice.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Years? Within a year they were on the back foot, and just over 3 years they had surrendered.
    February 1942 to August 1945 is 3 and a half years, so yes years
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

That's a wrong reading in my view. The SNP is still dominant, albeit fraying at the edges after too long in government with little to show for it. Brexit hasn't yet been the boost they were not so secretly hoping for.
  • Options
    ‪If you thought Theresa May’s decision to hold a snap election was a mistake then Sony would like to have a word. ‬

https://twitter.com/MrJohnFlowers/status/964214706738270209

In 2008: Sony passes on deal for $25 million
    Since 2008: Marvel’s 17 releases have grossed $13.5 billion
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Speaking of Japan

Good for Japan, we don't tell the Japanese how to run their country and we will politely decline to accept Japanese advice on how to run ours. In any case we export more to the USA and China than to Japan
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Almost like events like the Battle of Midway didn’t happen in your world.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

That's a wrong reading in my view. The SNP is still dominant, albeit fraying at the edges after too long in government with little to show for it. Brexit hasn't yet been the boost they were not so secretly hoping for.
    They lost half their MPs post Brexit and are set to lose their Holyrood majority with the Greens on current Scottish Parliament polls too
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Speaking of Japan

I wonder if Japan would be happy to adopt freedom of movement with 27 other Asian countries. I think we know the answer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Speaking of Japan

Good for Japan, we don't tell the Japanese how to run their country and we will politely decline to accept Japanese advice on how to run ours. In any case we export more to the USA and China than to Japan
    Your response is rather predictable, but nowhere does it say Japan is offering advice.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    As a quick solution, the six most north-easterly counties were retained within the UK on their existing county lines.

Not exactly. The nine counties of Ulster got to vote to decide whether to join the IFS or to remain part of the UK. In three countries (Donegal, Cavan and Moneghan) voted to leave, while the rest wanted to remain.

The British establishment, being entirely reasonable, applied the democratic choices of the majority in each county, without asking them to reconsider.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

I'd describe the SNP as powerful, but not dominant. Rather like the DUP.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    6 off a no ball and 4 off the free hit. 11 off 1 legal delivery. Australia are going to do this unless there is a clatter of wickets. 1 gone there.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Simultaneously attacking the US, China, and the British Empire was pretty hare-brained.
  • Options
    Charles said:

As a quick solution, the six most north-easterly counties were retained within the UK on their existing county lines.

Not exactly. The nine counties of Ulster got to vote to decide whether to join the IFS or to remain part of the UK. In three countries (Donegal, Cavan and Moneghan) voted to leave, while the rest wanted to remain.

The British establishment, being entirely reasonable, applied the democratic choices of the majority in each county, without asking them to reconsider.

Are you sure there was a vote? My understanding is that the six counties "solution" was imposed by the UK government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Simultaneously attacking the US, China, and the British Empire was pretty hare-brained.
    Only rivalled by Herr Hitler declaring war on America.
  • Options
    In response to Alistair's article, I'm not sure that the technicalities swayed many Scottish voters, however much debate they generated.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Sean_F said:

In response to Alistair's article, I'm not sure that the technicalities swayed many Scottish voters, however much debate they generated.

Agreed. It was those selfish baby boomers worrying about their pensions that swung it for No.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Max Hastings is pretty scathing about the Chinese war effort, but they still inflicted two million casualties on the Japanese.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think it was all wrapped around the question of the currency an Independent Scotland would use.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited February 2018

Funnily enough it was a small factor in my voting Leave. Small but never the less considered. Brexit resulting in an independent Scotland would be a double win for me.
  • Options
    I suspect Mr Meeks overestimates the “border controls” issues and underestimates the “currency” question, which Ireland may not necessarily offer a vote winning model for.....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Funnily enough it was a small factor in my voting Leave. Small but never the less considered. Brexit resulting in an independent Scotland would be a double win for me.
    Good morning all.

Ditto. I'm not a Unionist. A united Ireland would be a bonus.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Even if that independent Scotland were in the EU?
  • Options
    Not sure what has prompted this, but:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/964422834083659778
  • Options
    FF43 said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

The SNP government are only paying lip service to independence right now. That will almost certainly change at some point.
    For sure, at some point they will have to go for it or have a civil war in the party. Lots of people are only SNP for independence, the longer they wait the more chance they have of people drifting away.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Speaking of Japan

I wonder if Japan would be happy to adopt freedom of movement with 27 other Asian countries. I think we know the answer.
    Yep, agreed.
    Poor demographics and insularity have been behind long term Japanese decline.

We should study them to see how to cope as we sink into economic decrepitude.
  • Options
    Mr. G, if that's accurate, it might serve the SNP to lose a Holyrood majority. They then have a perfect reason not to try for another second referendum.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    This is what will destroy the Tories:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43075099

"The biggest decline in home ownership in the last 20 years has been among middle-income 25 to 34-year-olds, the Institute for Fiscal Studies said.

In 1995-96, 65% of this group owned a home, but just 27% do in 2015-16, with the biggest drop in south-east England."

The worst part of it for them is that it is spreading out in the home counties, where their core vote is. Right now they know they have the problem but don't seem to grasp just how much house building is needed to resolve it. Even status quo unaffordability will screw them. They need to actually surpass population growth to turn things round.
  • Options
    On topic:

I think an Irish resolution doesn’t really remove the border complication for Scottish idependence. There’s no equivalent to an Anglo-Irish agreement, and the U.K. government can and should play hardball.

Howeve, Brexit certainly provides ideological support for Sindy. When the Union pursues an ideologically deranged and economically damaging course of action, what’s the point of the Union?

I see the Tyndalls of the world actively welcome the dismemberment of the country. And they call Remainers traitors!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,372
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

Max Hastings is pretty scathing about the Chinese war effort, but they still inflicted two million casualties on the Japanese.
    (One version of) the old joke: two Chinese generals, one to the other - it's getting bad, we've lost 10,000 men while the Japanese have only lost 1,000. The other responds: pretty soon no more Japanese...
  • Options
    Trump the 3rd worst President of the modern ers says a new US poll after Nixon and LBJ.

Obama is the 3rd best after Reagan and JFK

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-obama-worst-best-poll-808238?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    The wheels are starting to come off for the SNP. This was Alex Bell, Alex Salmond's former speech writer, in the Courier yesterday: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/alex-bell/600937/alex-bell-phoney-pete-wishart-asking-questions-20-years-late/

Vicious attack on Pete Wishart and the mindless nonsense the SNP have been churning out for too long from someone who is instinctively very sympathetic. The need to address the real issues in Scotland and the Scottish economy has simply become too pressing to ignore.
  • Options

FPT: Good morning, everyone.

F1: Williams unveil their 2018 car.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43079279

First test starts in 10 days.

That's a rather ugly looking car, Mr.D.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    AndyJS said:

Nice of the Japanese to offer us advice.

You can be sure when foreigners offer advice on trade, they don't have our interests at heart. The same applies to the EU of course.

Good article on why countries like Japan and Canada are keen to convert EU trade deals into UK ones. They get to keep their current level of tariff free exports to us while they can impose tariffs on our exports to them, thanks to rules of origin: https://www.politico.eu/article/localization-barrier-risks-to-spoil-britains-free-trade-hopes/amp/

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Elliot said:

"The biggest decline in home ownership in the last 20 years has been among middle-income 25 to 34-year-olds, the Institute for Fiscal Studies said.

In 1995-96, 65% of this group owned a home, but just 27% do in 2015-16, with the biggest drop in south-east England."

The worst part of it for them is that it is spreading out in the home counties, where their core vote is. Right now they know they have the problem but don't seem to grasp just how much house building is needed to resolve it. Even status quo unaffordability will screw them. They need to actually surpass population growth to turn things round.

Its a double whammy. They need to have cheaper decent homes for potential voters, but not cause negative equity for existing ones. It is hard to see how they can do this.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Foxy said:

Elliot said:

Its a double whammy. They need to have cheaper decent homes for potential voters, but not cause negative equity for existing ones. It is hard to see how they can do this.
    There is no danger of getting close to negative equity. It will be a mammoth task to keep house prices flat, let alone reduce them.

Success will be keeping them flat while incomes grow.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

Are you sure there was a vote? My understanding is that the six counties "solution" was imposed by the UK government.
    You are right, though it would be nice if Charles could provide some evidence for his contention.
  • Options

I suspect Mr Meeks overestimates the “border controls” issues and underestimates the “currency” question, which Ireland may not necessarily offer a vote winning model for.....

You have it back to front , an over enthusiastic unionist leaver
  • Options
    Mr. B, I didn't design it :p

I agree, incidentally.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

It’s too late.
    Anyone sentient under 40 now hates the Tories and has very good reason to do so.

To tie up the threads, a Thornberry-led party makes it much “safer” for centrists to vote Labour, too.
  • Options

Well you were wrong. Brexit actually makes Scottish independence far more complicated. Whatever one thought about the fantasy that a newly independent Scotland automatically becoming a member of the EU the fact is that the 2014 referendum took place with the UK in the Single Market. If the UK leaves the SM, as is likely Scotland has a choice. Either we remain in a Single Market with rUK, by far our biggest customer, or we go into a SM with the EU, a relatively modest market.

Only 1 of these solutions has any economic sense. If we remain in a SM with rUK, with the same currency, interest rates, monetary policy and, possibly, freedom of movement someone will have to explain to the majority of Scots why that would be worth the effort. It sure doesn't look like independence to me.
  • Options

Mr. B, I didn't design it :p

The lack of offensive ballistic weaponry was a dead giveaway.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,945
    Foxy said:

Elliot said:

A bit of inflation, slowly rising interest rates and steady new home growth to gradually decrease the wage multiple whilst preserving nominal growth ?~
    Its a bit of a needle to thread but doable.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

For sure, at some point they will have to go for it or have a civil war in the party. Lots of people are only SNP for independence, the longer they wait the more chance they have of people drifting away.
    I think that's right. "Bide your time" only works if you think things are moving your way. The risk for those supporting independence is the SNP membership forces the party to make a move for independence when it's not ready. The Quebec assumption is you get two shots at independence.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well you were wrong. Brexit actually makes Scottish independence far more complicated. Whatever one thought about the fantasy that a newly independent Scotland automatically becoming a member of the EU the fact is that the 2014 referendum took place with the UK in the Single Market. If the UK leaves the SM, as is likely Scotland has a choice. Either we remain in a Single Market with rUK, by far our biggest customer, or we go into a SM with the EU, a relatively modest market.

Only 1 of these solutions has any economic sense. If we remain in a SM with rUK, with the same currency, interest rates, monetary policy and, possibly, freedom of movement someone will have to explain to the majority of Scots why that would be worth the effort. It sure doesn't look like independence to me.
    You're missing the point of my article. If a solution is found for dealing with Northern Ireland to the satisfaction of all, that same solution will work for Scotland too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Elliot said:

New housing alone won't solve it; the causes are significantly financial.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Elliot said:

Yet this week we find that the number of first time buyers is at an 11 year high as more affordable homes become available.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-43043294

Building more homes through local plans, keeping inheritance tax down and ending free movement to reduce demand will all help expand home ownership
  • Options
    Mr. B, nobody ignores blue flags when you have a trebuchet.
  • Options

Elliot said:

It’s too late.
    Anyone sentient under 40 now hates the Tories and has very good reason to do so.

To tie up the threads, a Thornberry-led party makes it much “safer” for centrists to vote Labour, too.
    Corbyn and Momentum are not going to make way for Thornberry and she is still little more than Ed Miliband in a skirt
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Elliot said:

Yet this week we find that the number of first time buyers is at an 11 year high as more affordable homes become available.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-43043294

Building more homes through local plans, keeping inheritance tax down and ending free movement to reduce demand will all help expand home ownership
    If Dominic Raab can make a real impact on the market for the disappointed 25-34 year olds, giving them the sort of opportunities their parents took for granted, he will indeed become a contender. But it is a big ask with limited tools and budget at his disposal.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

OTOH, the number of first time buyers (365,000) is at its highest since 2007, and house building has reached its highest level since 1997. In most of the country, housing has become more affordable since 2007. The 1997-2007 period was when prices went crazy, on the back of bad lending practices.
    Foxy said:

Elliot said:

I expect house prices will fall in London and remain static elsewhere for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Dubliner said:

FF43 said:

Charles said:

You are right, though it would be nice if Charles could provide some evidence for his contention.
    I don't think there is any.
    The Boundary Commission report was indeed based on the detail of the local election results, but was effectively ignored:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Boundary_Commission#Intergovernmental_agreement_Nov–Dec_1925
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The wheels are starting to come off for the SNP. This was Alex Bell, Alex Salmond's former speech writer, in the Courier yesterday: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/alex-bell/600937/alex-bell-phoney-pete-wishart-asking-questions-20-years-late/

Vicious attack on Pete Wishart and the mindless nonsense the SNP have been churning out for too long from someone who is instinctively very sympathetic. The need to address the real issues in Scotland and the Scottish economy has simply become too pressing to ignore.

David, unfortunately there are ZERO other options in Scotland. Tories and Labour are woeful , Lib Dems and Greens less than useless. SNP are the only show in town, but if they don't get a 2nd referendum sorted they will have more and more infighting.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You're missing the point of my article. If a solution is found for dealing with Northern Ireland to the satisfaction of all, that same solution will work for Scotland too.
    More simply if Ireland is seen as a relative success after Brexit, people in Scotland will say, we can do the same. The issues hypothetically facing a Scotland considering independence are the same as those actually facing Ireland right now.
  • Options

Mr. B, nobody ignores blue flags when you have a trebuchet.

I rather think the aerodynamic penalty would mean your car would be the one ignoring the flags...
    Your talents might be better directed towards Mario Kart GOC Edition.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yet if referendum were won solely on economic sense then Remain would have won a landslide.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Though the solution only deals with issues that weren't even issues in 2014.

None of the issues that bedeviled the Independence campaign in 2014 like which currency should be used are addressed by any agreement with Ireland.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Also if not found it is a hard Brexit and big impact to Scotland and so makes independence more attractive.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I really don't think so. The Northern Irish economy is already much more integrated with the South than Scotland is with anywhere outside the UK. The sea border makes controlling immigration and trade to the mainland pretty straightforward even if NI has a "soft" and porous border with the Republic. I don't see how that can work in Scotland. If we joined the EU and had freedom of movement again how would England control its own immigration without a hard border?

The SNP's best hope is that the UK ends up with a FTA with the EU so that we still have the benefits of the SM. If that is achieved some but not all of the problems will recede, as they will in NI. The SNP leadership must be secretly cheering May on.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I really don't think so. The Northern Irish economy is already much more integrated with the South than Scotland is with anywhere outside the UK. The sea border makes controlling immigration and trade to the mainland pretty straightforward even if NI has a "soft" and porous border with the Republic. I don't see how that can work in Scotland. If we joined the EU and had freedom of movement again how would England control its own immigration without a hard border?

The SNP's best hope is that the UK ends up with a FTA with the EU so that we still have the benefits of the SM. If that is achieved some but not all of the problems will recede, as they will in NI. The SNP leadership must be secretly cheering May on.
    I see. So your preferred Northern Irish solution is to shaft the DUP.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    edited February 2018
    Elliot said:

Foxy said:

Elliot said:

There is no danger of getting close to negative equity. It will be a mammoth task to keep house prices flat, let alone reduce them.

Success will be keeping them flat while incomes grow.
    Though over recent years incomes have grown less than inflation, let alone house prices.

Though having experienced negative equity 25 years ago, I wouldn't say a repeat was impossible. Indeed as interest rates go up it is quite likely at least in some areas.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We have been told many times that the Leave vote had very little to do with economics - people, we are informed, knew that Brexit meant economic hardship, but they voted for it anyway. All the arguments made against Scottish independence in 2014 were made in favour of staying in the EU in 2016. This time Project Fear lost.

As Brexit increasingly becomes a project dictated by right wing English nationalists like Johnson and Rees Mogg, the opportunities for the SNP - which remains by far the most popular party in Scotland - may well increase. Should Labour not win the next general election, how many of the voters that the party won back from the SNP last year are going to stick with it?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Elliot said:

They need to be inventive with stamp duty.

No stamp duty for first time buyers up to £500k+

Other tax incentives may be desirable.

Needs to be linked to a national insurance number or something to avoid abuse.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yet if referendum were won solely on economic sense then Remain would have won a landslide.
    I don't think that either Scottish Nationalists or Scottish Unionists vote on the basis of economics.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

David, unfortunately there are ZERO other options in Scotland. Tories and Labour are woeful , Lib Dems and Greens less than useless. SNP are the only show in town, but if they don't get a 2nd referendum sorted they will have more and more infighting.
    Ironically, as we have discussed before Malcolm, all our parties have a common interest in rebuilding and developing the Scottish economy which is in a parlous state and forecast to fall even further behind the rest of the UK in the next few years with much slower growth. If the SNP focussed on building a country capable of standing on its own 2 feet for a decade independence could become a real possibility. But I agree with you that too many of their supporters are not that patient and want something now.

Angus Robertson's departure is another blow. The realist wing of the party is in retreat.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

More simply if Ireland is seen as a relative success after Brexit, people in Scotland will say, we can do the same. The issues hypothetically facing a Scotland considering independence are the same as those actually facing Ireland right now.
    To be clear, the example for Scotland is Southern Ireland, not Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    saddo said:
    Two meetings in the House of Commons -- hardly cloak and dagger. I'm no expert but first, Corbyn did not go to Cambridge; second, it is probably true the Czechs were sounding him out but where is there any evidence in the Czech archives of ongoing meetings or any further contact? Meeting in the Commons suggests he was a useful idiot, not a spy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

DavidL said:

We have been told many times that the Leave vote had very little to do with economics - people, we are informed, knew that Brexit meant economic hardship, but they voted for it anyway. All the arguments made against Scottish independence in 2014 were made in favour of staying in the EU in 2016. This time Project Fear lost.

As Brexit increasingly becomes a project dictated by right wing English nationalists like Johnson and Rees Mogg, the opportunities for the SNP - which remains by far the most popular party in Scotland - may well increase. Should Labour not win the next general election, how many of the voters that the party won back from the SNP last year are going to stick with it?

It's the failures, pains and difficulties of Brexit that make Scottish Independence look less attractive. If Brexit succeeds, why not Scotland?

So it will be interesting to see what Scotland does in post Brexit Britain.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

To be clear, the example for Scotland is Southern Ireland, not Northern Ireland.
    The Republic of Ireland uses the Euro as its currency. What currency will an independent Scotland use?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,372
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

Elliot said:

First time buyers up to £500k!!??

Dear god we are in a _lot_ of trouble.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sure, there are a significant minority in Scotland who think that Independence is more important than purely economic issues and that independence will give us more opportunities than we have as a region of the UK subservient to the London economy. These people are not going to change their views and they give the SNP a bedrock of support.

There is a clear and obvious overlap with that sort of thinking and that of many Brexiteers. But what 2014 established was that those who think that way in Scotland are not a majority and the economic arguments against Independence are much more compelling now than they were then.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The next Holyrood election in 2021 is before the next general election is due in 2022 so on current polls there will be a Unionist majority at Holyrood in 2021 and a minority Labour government ironically dependent on SNP confidence and supply
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Elliot said:

The reason it was easy to buy a house in the 1970s and early 1980s was because the population of the country wasn't increasing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

An early skirmish.

(One version of) the old joke: two Chinese generals, one to the other - it's getting bad, we've lost 10,000 men while the Japanese have only lost 1,000. The other responds: pretty soon no more Japanese...
    And, actually quite true. China could always take the casualties and keep fighting.

It's rather like the scene in Stephen Pressfield's novel, Tides of War, where the Athenians have sunk half the Spartan fleet in harbour. One appalled onlooker asks the Spartan commander "What do you call this?". "I call it what is. Victory." Despite winning, Athens suffered casualties they couldn't replace. Backed by Persian money, Sparta could hire a new fleet.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The Republic of Ireland uses the Euro as its currency. What currency will an independent Scotland use?
    Ultimately the euro. Scotland would be in the unique position of applying for EU membership without having an established currency, so it's unclear whether it would go straight to the euro or run an interim Scottish currency first.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I see. So your preferred Northern Irish solution is to shaft the DUP.
    I think the Northern Irish should be given a choice between being more integrated with the Republic and more integrated with rUK with a harder border. Its a tough choice for them but it is fatuous to pretend that they can have their cake and eat it (to coin a phrase). My guess is that they will go for the soft border with the republic.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

It's the failures, pains and difficulties of Brexit that make Scottish Independence look less attractive. If Brexit succeeds, why not Scotland?

So it will be interesting to see what Scotland does in post Brexit Britain.

The Yes vote starts with 45%. It does not take a huge leap of imagination to believe that a Brexit dictated by right wing English nationalists like Rees Mogg and Johnson would push a few of the more left-inclined No voters in 2014 into the other column.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

Elliot said:

First time buyers up to £500k!!??

Dear god we are in a _lot_ of trouble.
    Stop clutching your pearls and visit the SE occasionally.

Lots of 30 somethings buying with their partners up to this sort of price.

• Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

saddo said:
    Two meetings in the House of Commons -- hardly cloak and dagger. I'm no expert but first, Corbyn did not go to Cambridge; second, it is probably true the Czechs were sounding him out but where is there any evidence in the Czech archives of ongoing meetings or any further contact? Meeting in the Commons suggests he was a useful idiot, not a spy.
    He probably wasn't a spy in the traditional sense, almost certainly too far down the food chain to have any knowledge of value. It what it says about his judgement and morals that should count.

The irony is that at the time, his equivalents in Czechoslovakia would have been in prison camps or worse, as would all the momentum types.
This discussion has been closed.