Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on George Osborne

Comments

• Options
    Most important news of the day, I think I've found the electoral voting system better than AV

Libyan jihadist group asks supporters to vote for missile target on Facebook

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/11/libyan-jihadist-missile-target-facebook

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Best of luck with the interviews, Sunil. You deserve a change of luck.

Nice to see you on here again mr fletcher ;-)
  • Options
    Once again, thanks for all the interview best wishes!
  • Options

Best of luck with the interviews, Sunil. You deserve a change of luck.

Have you been lurking lately Lucian? I have missed your presence in these parts.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    @tim

Following Raceclear today?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AveryLP said:

The good news

Alanbrooke knows his onions

Monthly trade figures are highly volatile. Last month surprised
    on the upside. This month on the downside. As Mr. Brooke stated
    correctly, the trend is upward both on tha six monthly rolling
    average and year on year. On a long term basis exports have not
    recovered to pre-crisis levels but this is as mainly due to the
    15% per annum falls in oil and gas exports due to falling North
    Sea output experienced since 2010.
    Sorry Avery , I do not understand are you blaming the bad trade figures in July on itinerant French onion sellers ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Once again, thanks for all the interview best wishes!

Good luck Sunil
  • Options
    Not much to be honest. Maybe lurking once a week?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,860
    edited September 2013

Mark. I'll put up with just about any piece of name calling on PB, but calling me French crosses a line !

• Options

Not much to be honest. Maybe lurking once a week?

That's a shame! I hope this indicates you have taken up some enjoyable new activity to fill your former PB time.
  • Options
    @isam

Thanks!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    @MarkSenior

Sorry Avery , I do not understand are you blaming the bad trade figures in July on itinerant French onion sellers ?

No, Mark. What I am saying is that anyone looking at a series of monthly trade figures will note a sawtooth pattern in a line graph. Indeed that is what you see when looking at the first chart in the most recent ONS 'Summary: UK trade July 2013' bulletin.

If you read on a couple of paragraphs you will also note the warning from the ONS about placing too much emphasis on a single month's trade figures:

Trade statistics for any one month can be erratic. For that reason, it is recommended to compare the latest quarter against the preceding quarter and the same quarter of 2012. The comparison with a year earlier should be viewed, though, with caution at the moment; figures (particularly export data) for the spring months of 2012 were unusually volatile, possibly due to the unusual pattern of public holidays in that period.

The headline for the June bulletin was:

The deficit of trade in goods for June 2013 was £8.1 billion, an increase of £0.6 billion on the previous month and within the range of normal month to month movements.

The trade position reflects exports minus imports. Exports of goods reached a record high of £26.9 billion in June, an increase of £1.3 billion from May. Imports for the same period increased £0.7 billion to £35.0 billion.

The corresponding headline for the July bulletin was:

The deficit of trade in goods and services for July 2013 was £3.1 billion compared with a deficit of £1.3 billion in the previous month. This is the largest deficit since October 2012 (£3.5 billion).

The deficit on trade in goods was £9.9 billion in July 2013. The trade position reflects exports minus imports. Exports of goods fell 7.6% on the month to £24.8 billion for July 2013. Imports for the same period fell 1.0% to £34.7 billion

So we see a "record high" in June followed by a "record low" for July.

Beginning to see the problem, Mark?

[to be continued]
  • Options
    @MarkSenior

[...continued]

Probably best to just take note of the "Longer Term Perspective" [July report]:

The value of trade in goods has grown only gently since the beginning of 2007. In that year, and into 2008, there was steady growth as the UK economy and those of our major trading partners expanded. That expansion came to a sharp end during 2008 and, as these economies turned downwards, so did the levels of trade. Growth was not resumed until summer 2009. It was steady for the two years after that, but with the continuing difficulties in many economies in moving out of recession, the value of both exports and imports has remained flat since mid-2011.

In 2012, the deficit on trade in goods increased by £8.6 billion to £108.7 billion (annually). The level of exports increased to a record £300.5 billion in 2012, up 0.7% from £298.4 billion in 2011. However, the rise in exports was accompanied by an increase in imports to a record £409.2 billion in 2012, up 2.7% from £398.5 billion in 2011. Despite these record levels of exports and imports, annual growth has slowed considerably since 2010 and 2011 when growth was seen to accelerate as part of the global recovery from the financial crisis in 2008 and 2009.
  • Options
    Allegra Stratton @BBCAllegra

#newsnight has been told that Royal Mail will be sold off at 7am tomorrow

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Well before the post arrives then :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Sky News graphics are showing the Ipsos-MORI VI shares on today's poll as 37% Lab 40% Con.

Now I realise Sky frequently have difficulty with their figures, but this is one time to forgive, forget and celebrate.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Well before the post arrives then :)
    lol
  • Options

That makes it sound like an execution.

• Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104

Libyan jihadist group asks supporters to vote for missile target on Facebook

Targeting missiles onto Facebook and firing them would probably be a good thing.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AveryLP said:

Any last request s for the posties ?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Not received your "Stamp" of approval, Avery?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    AveryLP said:

Sky News graphics are showing the Ipsos-MORI VI shares on today's poll as 37% Lab 40% Con.

Now I realise Sky frequently have difficulty with their figures, but this is one time to forgive, forget and celebrate.

Only a matter of time Avery, only a matter of time.
  • Options
    TGOHF & Sunil

I am considering a reprieve.

But after due thought I believe it is best put to a vote in the HoC and Congress.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    How much does one get for a Royal Mail ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

£3.5 bn from memory.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

TGOHF said:

£3.5 bn from memory.

A nice "package" then?
  • Options
    Royal Mail Secures £1.4bn Debt Deal

New borrowing facilities will be disclosed alongside details of the historic privatisation, Sky News learns.

http://news.sky.com/story/1140451/royal-mail-secures-1-4bn-debt-deal
  • Options
    edited September 2013

AveryLP said:

TGOHF said:

£3.5 bn from memory.

A nice "package" then?
    There will be a "We tried to deliver ..." card left at No 11.

George will have to go to the Trafalgar Square sorting station tomorrow morning.

If you are quick Sunil you may get there first and you will then be able to tell your interviewers to sod off.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

I can see crossover, David.

I am less confident of the blues getting 40% or over VI or GE shares.

• Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Good to see Mr. Fletcher on again.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

I can see crossover, David.

I am less confident of the blues getting 40% or over VI or GE shares.

Not to worry. The days of Labour getting 37% are drawing to an end too.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Should arrive by 3PM on Friday then.
  • Options
    My rugby playing son did a session with England forwards coach Graham Rowntree at his club tonight, filmed by Sky Sports. Not sure when it's on, but my son is the tight head with the ridiculously big thighs.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, is he a professional?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942
    Completely off topic but I felt the urge to share this. I came across this quotation:

'Yesterday is but a dream:
    Tomorrow is only a vision. But Today well-lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness;
    and every tomorrow a dream of hope.
    (Abhijnanasakuntalam of Shantukala by Kalidasa - a Sanskrit poet of the 5th century)

I hereby claim this as a sound-bite for the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Should arrive by 3PM on Friday then.
    Shame we don't still have a like button ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. Slade, cheers for sharing that.

On the other hand "Abhijnanasakuntalam" looks bloody unpronounceable. I may attribute the quote to 'Stan' instead.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,881
    edited September 2013

Mr. Slade, cheers for sharing that.

On the other hand "Abhijnanasakuntalam" looks bloody unpronounceable. I may attribute the quote to 'Stan' instead.

Attribute to Abe/Abby

Though there's a part of that name you can't utter in polite society.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, is he a professional?

That's his aim. He's not there yet though. He has the talent, but is somewhat lax in his application. And that is a huge differentiator once you get to a certain level. He's off to uni the week after next, so we'll see if he can be disciplined or if it all goes pear-shaped.

• Options
    I can't believe I missed this, it happened in August, when I was editing the site, think of the threads I could have done

What could the Romans have done for us?

"Three quarters of voters reckon emperors in ancient Rome had better policies than today’s parties, a bizarre study has revealed. Two thousand Brits were shown a manifesto secretly based on what the Caesars pledged — and 43 per cent said they would vote for it. A third even mistook it for the work of a modern-day party — despite it including a vow by crazed Caligula to let horses into Parliament." - The Sun (£)

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/frontpage/2013/08/thursday-29th-august-2013.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,361
    @AveryLP

While the UK economy is showing rapid improvement, our trade balance and current account should remain a longer-term area of concern. Essentially, British exports have remained marooned around £40-42bn a month for the last 18 months, and are only up around a third up from the lows of late 2009. (See: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports)

Let us compare with my favourite - Spain. Monthly exports have been rising pretty consistently (albeit with more volatility than the UK) and are now at more than twice the lows of late 2009. And this is despite the Spaniards having to put up with being shackled to the Euro.

The consequence is that Spain runs a current account surplus - more money is coming in to the country through exports, and tourism than is going out for imports. Just five years ago, Spain's current account deficit was 10% of GDP, a frankly unbelievable turnaround. With the UK, the trend is the opposite - our current account deficit is worsening. That is, we have to borrow from abroad to pay for our Volkswagen Polos and Sony TVs.

Remember, you heard it hear first: Spain is leaving recession and there are going to be some incredible opportunities here.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, best of luck to your son.

Mr. Eagles, you should post that story on the next Nighthawks thread, as I'm off now and therefore unable to offer more detailed thoughts.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,389
    I'm wondering: do people use the phrase "sent to Coventry" in Coventry itself?
  • Options
    Polling Alert - YouGov Times

The 5,191 respondents, three times the size of a normal YouGov poll, put Labour on 39 per cent, the Tories on 33 per cent, the Lib Dems on 8 per cent and UKIP on 12 per cent.
  • Options
    Asked “If you had to choose, which would you prefer to see after the next election, a Conservative government led by David Cameron or a Labour government led by Ed Miliband?”, 41 per cent chose the Tory option and 40 per cent Labour.

Remarkably, Lib Dem voters seem more enthusiastic about a further coalition with the Tories than Labour— 49 per cent wanted a Tory government led by Mr Cameron while 32 per cent preferred Labour led by Mr Miliband.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    Andy_JS said:

I'm wondering: do people use the phrase "sent to Coventry" in Coventry itself?

Not sure - I am from Coventry myself ! I know it is used for the football team - Send us to Coventry as the fixtures are played 35 miles out the city in Northampton at the moment.
  • Options
    @TSE, that's because all the LD voters who preferred coalition with the Labour Party now support the Labour Party,

The question for the LDs is whether they can get them back.

The question for the Conservatives is whether they can move right and recapture UKIP voters without scaring off the metrosexuals of Richmond Park and other leafy suburbs. This is a particular issue because losing one vote to the LDs in a Lib-Con battlefield is worse than losing one to UKIP. (As in, a vote lost to the LDs is a two vote swing.)

The question for the Labour Party is whether they can convince the population their leader is not a gibbering idiot.

The question for UKIP is whether they can go 'Beyond Farage'.
  • Options
    Of all those who voted Lib Dem in 2010, the majority — 51-30 per cent — would prefer a Miliband-led government.
  • Options
    I know, I know, Dave has a 17% lead over Ed on who would make Best PM
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750

Of all those who voted Lib Dem in 2010, the majority — 51-30 per cent — would prefer a Miliband-led government.

Chuckle. Yep, that's the one. Listen to your PB boss, he knows his politics.
  • Options
    16% agree with a hung parliament after the next general election with the Liberal Democrats holding the balance of power could be a good thing, 60% disagree
  • Options

16% agree with a hung parliament after the next general election with the Liberal Democrats holding the balance of power could be a good thing, 60% disagree

Well, duh.

Who, other than the 11% of professed LibDem voters, would want them in government?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2013
    BBC Breaking News ✔ @BBCBreaking

Stock market flotation of UK's Royal Mail to be confirmed at 0700 on Thursday, BBC's Newsnight has been told - via @BBCAllegra

Stock Market flotation of Royal Mail @ 07.00 hrs tomorrow.
  • Options
    What are all those big patches of yellow on this thread?
  • Options
    carl said:

Flogging our Royal Mail, eh.

What next? Selling our forests?

Does anything matter to the Tories, beyond lining their pockets?

By and large, private industry is more efficient than public. British Telecom, in the days when it was part of the Royal Mail and had Busby as its mascot, was a hideously inefficient organisation. It's not perfect these days, but if it doesn't offer a decent service it will lose customer to Virgin or whoever, the shareprice will fall, and the CEO will face the sack.

And, why do you think it is in the interests of the British people for trees to be owned by the government?
  • Options
    51 per cent who said that they would vote Lib Dem in 2015 also said they could change their mind closer to polling day,

For Con voters it is 32%, Lab voters 34%

• Options
    34% said they would never vote Lib Dem

25% said they would never vote Lab

33% said they would never vote Conservative
  • Options
    @TSE: I would note that 51% were not clear about what they would change their mind about; it could be homeopathy or their star sign or who they'd vote for on X-Factor...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@AveryLP

While the UK economy is showing rapid improvement, our trade balance and current account should remain a longer-term area of concern. Essentially, British exports have remained marooned around £40-42bn a month for the last 18 months, and are only up around a third up from the lows of late 2009. (See: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports)

Let us compare with my favourite - Spain. Monthly exports have been rising pretty consistently (albeit with more volatility than the UK) and are now at more than twice the lows of late 2009. And this is despite the Spaniards having to put up with being shackled to the Euro.

The consequence is that Spain runs a current account surplus - more money is coming in to the country through exports, and tourism than is going out for imports. Just five years ago, Spain's current account deficit was 10% of GDP, a frankly unbelievable turnaround. With the UK, the trend is the opposite - our current account deficit is worsening. That is, we have to borrow from abroad to pay for our Volkswagen Polos and Sony TVs.

Remember, you heard it hear first: Spain is leaving recession and there are going to be some incredible opportunities here.

All true, Robert.

But Spain doesn't have an Oil and Gas industry collapsing as fast as Gordon's property boom.

The UK's trade position is getting better (albeit too slowly) if the Oil and Gas figures are excluded.

I have been looking too at the figures for the individual North Sea fields and everything you have said about depletion velocity stares at you in the face, The old 1970s fields show a beautiful bell curve stretched over 30 years or more. The more recent fields show linear declines which deplete within a couple of years.

On Spain, where are the manufactures?

• Options
    68% said they “cannot see Ed as a Prime Minister” including 42 per cent of Labour voters.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Am I correct in understanding that while 2010 LD voters prefer Milliband, but that the remaining LD voters prefer Cameron. It would seem logical to me, but then fewer things are more peculiar than voters, such as my Pro EU, but UKIP voting father!

Asked “If you had to choose, which would you prefer to see after the next election, a Conservative government led by David Cameron or a Labour government led by Ed Miliband?”, 41 per cent chose the Tory option and 40 per cent Labour.

Remarkably, Lib Dem voters seem more enthusiastic about a further coalition with the Tories than Labour— 49 per cent wanted a Tory government led by Mr Cameron while 32 per cent preferred Labour led by Mr Miliband.

• Options
    This is a fairly comprehensive poll by yougov

Almost seven out of ten — including three in ten Lib Dems — said that Mr Clegg had “betrayed his principles to become Deputy Prime Minister”.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

I can't believe I missed this, it happened in August, when I was editing the site, think of the threads I could have done

What could the Romans have done for us?

"Three quarters of voters reckon emperors in ancient Rome had better policies than today’s parties, a bizarre study has revealed. Two thousand Brits were shown a manifesto secretly based on what the Caesars pledged — and 43 per cent said they would vote for it. A third even mistook it for the work of a modern-day party — despite it including a vow by crazed Caligula to let horses into Parliament." - The Sun (£)

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/frontpage/2013/08/thursday-29th-august-2013.html

I can see the voters point re Caligula. After all many of the MP's in todays parliament are nothing more than braying donkeys.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

carl said:

Flogging our Royal Mail, eh.

What next? Selling our forests?

Does anything matter to the Tories, beyond lining their pockets?

By and large, private industry is more efficient than public.
    No it isn't.

Monopolies are far more inefficient in private hands. Some things have to be public goods, the "market" simply doesn't work properly.

That's why they can't and won't privatise the army, or police, or the political system itself. Arguably.
  • Options
    46% of voters see Ed as out of his depth, 25% see him as indecisive, and 39% see him as weak
  • Options

Am I correct in understanding that while 2010 LD voters prefer Milliband, but that the remaining LD voters prefer Cameron. It would seem logical to me, but then fewer things are more peculiar than voters, such as my Pro EU, but UKIP voting father!

Yes that's right
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,703
    edited September 2013
    Andy_JS said:

Someone messing about with the < pre > tags.
    Patch of Yellow
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

@AveryLP

All true, Robert.

But Spain doesn't have an Oil and Gas industry collapsing as fast as Gordon's property boom.

The UK's trade position is getting better (albeit too slowly) if the Oil and Gas figures are excluded.

I have been looking too at the figures for the individual North Sea fields and everything you have said about depletion velocity stares at you in the face, The old 1970s fields show a beautiful bell curve stretched over 30 years or more. The more recent fields show linear declines which deplete within a couple of years.

A quarter of Spain's exports are cars and car parts. Nissan recently opened a big plant there, and pretty much all Polos are made in Northern Spain. A large portion of Volkswagen's engines are too. Ford and Renault are investing heavily too (see http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/28/business/spain-auto-soares)

It's also worth noting that Zara - one of the biggest clothing makers and retailers - is part of Inditex, a Spanish company.
  • Options
    Clegg from a list of 20, the most common were “out of his depth” (41 per cent), “weak” (40 per cent), “out of touch” (27 per cent) and “indecisive” (26 per cent).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,041
    half a millennia in public hands, will it last another half millennia in private hands?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@TSE, that's because all the LD voters who preferred coalition with the Labour Party now support the Labour Party,

The question for the LDs is whether they can get them back.

The question for the Conservatives is whether they can move right and recapture UKIP voters without scaring off the metrosexuals of Richmond Park and other leafy suburbs. This is a particular issue because losing one vote to the LDs in a Lib-Con battlefield is worse than losing one to UKIP. (As in, a vote lost to the LDs is a two vote swing.)

The question for the Labour Party is whether they can convince the population their leader is not a gibbering idiot.

The question for UKIP is whether they can go 'Beyond Farage'.

Surely, 'Beyond the Farage'.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Love to see "competition" in the postal "market".

DHL, G4S and Virgin posties racing up the driveway of Nether Farwood Farm in Outer Sticksville to try to deliver their piece of Tesco junk mail first?
  • Options
    RobD said:

half a millennia in public hands, will it last another half millennia in private hands?

No.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nurses refusing to do fifteen hour shifts in Liverpool.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,703
    edited September 2013
    SeanT said:

I'd just like it noted that my alma mater, my university, UCL, is now 4th in the world.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0913/10092013-UCL-4th-in-QS-World-University-Rankings

Eat crow, Bologna

Damn! Imperial (my alma mater) is 5th!
    http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

*jealous*
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,041
    edited September 2013
    snip
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    Royal Mail privatisation:

- Proposed by a Labour Business Secretary following a report by Richard Hooper commissioned by a Labour government

- Confirmed by a LibDem Business Secretary following a second report by Richard Hooper

- Actioned by a Tory Chancellor

That's what Tories do: get on with governing properly. What a pity the last lot couldn't even manage something which is so uncontroversial that all three parties which have been in government in living memory agree it should be done.
  • Options
    Carl

You are making some highly defamatory comments and smears, regarding Royal Privisation, please desist, and acknowledge that you understand.
  • Options

So, if the next election looks like being a choice between a Labour majority and a LD/Lab coalition, Tories in Lab/Con marginals will vote Labour to avoid the latter? I don't think so, somehow.
  • Options
    Would the Royal Mail lose the "Royal" part as it won’t be 'owned' by the Queen via her government any more?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    @SeanT: You missed the most amusing ones:

Ecole Normale Superieur: 28th (beaten by Toronto and Australian!)

and Heidelberg: 50th. How on earth did Germany manage to mess up its universities so comprehensively?
  • Options

So, if the next election looks like being a choice between a Labour majority and a LD/Lab coalition, Tories in Lab/Con marginals will vote Labour to avoid the latter? I don't think so, somehow.
    This Tory is thinking of voting tactically for the Lib Dems at the next General Election.

Though I do concede, I'm probably the exception, rather than the rule
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

This Tory is thinking of voting tactically for the Lib Dems at the next General Election.

Yes, there cant be too many Tories with your taste in shoes...
  • Options
    How do these sums work if a car is built in UK of imported parts? Is it by value?
    rcs1000 said:

AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

@AveryLP

All true, Robert.

A quarter of Spain's exports are cars and car parts. Nissan recently opened a big plant there, and pretty much all Polos are made in Northern Spain. A large portion of Volkswagen's engines are too. Ford and Renault are investing heavily too (see http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/28/business/spain-auto-soares)

It's also worth noting that Zara - one of the biggest clothing makers and retailers - is part of Inditex, a Spanish company.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Yes, there cant be too many Tories with your taste in shoes...
    Those shoes are no more, alas.

But you can now design your own shoes and colour via the Nike website

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pw/nikeid-air-max-shoes/1k9ZbrkZb8d
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,881
    edited September 2013
    I've realised, like JohnO's sojourn to Bournemouth, I'm never, ever going to live down my choice in footwear am I?
  • Options
    TSE - Footwear? Pah! What about your choice in music?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @TSE

Those shoes were the fashion equivalent of falling asleep on your train and waking up in Bournemouth after midnight.
  • Options

TSE - Footwear? Pah! What about your choice in music?

It is awesome, I'm off to see SoundGarden on Friday

• Options
    I thought so.

There is then a risk that by trying to regain the 2010 deserters, the party will lose the pro-coalitionistas. As well as annoying these loyalists, an explicitly anti-coalition 2015 campaign will lack coherence. Interesting times!

The current LD voters do seem more right wing than the activists.

Yes that's right
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

Those shoes were the fashion equivalent of falling asleep on your train and waking up in Bournemouth after midnight.

Someone described them as the Fashion Equivalent of a Crystal Swing single
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056

- Proposed by a Labour Business Secretary following a report by Richard Hooper commissioned by a Labour government

- Confirmed by a LibDem Business Secretary following a second report by Richard Hooper

- Actioned by a Tory Chancellor

That's what Tories do: get on with governing properly. What a pity the last lot couldn't even manage something which is so uncontroversial that all three parties which have been in government in living memory agree it should be done.

Could do with it happening around March 2015. 'Nailed on' Ed is determined to crock my betting positions on GE 2015.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

By and large, private industry is more efficient than public. British Telecom, in the days when it was part of the Royal Mail and had Busby as its mascot, was a hideously inefficient organisation. It's not perfect these days, but if it doesn't offer a decent service it will lose customer to Virgin or whoever, the shareprice will fall, and the CEO will face the sack.

And, why do you think it is in the interests of the British people for trees to be owned by the government?

I am sure this won't be news to OGH Jr but the very large World Management Survey run by Stanford, LSE and Harvard Business School has produced a wealth of material. The working paper "Management practices across firms and countries" by Nicholas Bloom, Christos Genakos, Raffaella Sadun and John Van Reenen is very much worth reading. Or at any rate, looking at the pretty graphs at the end of it.

It covers not just the effect of public/private sector on management effectiveness and firm outcomes, but also the impact of competition (which is relevant to the monopoly point). They have had some interesting things to say about family-owned firms, too (including Many economic historians blamed Britain’s decline relative to America and Germany to "personal capitalism" - a line of argument that certainly came up in my Economic History course).
  • Options
    @Pulpstar, as you like your cricket betting, stick your money on England to win the Ashes 3 nil down under at 16/1

Aussie bowlers are dropping like flies, and they will need to play Mitchell Johnson in the Tests.

http://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/ashes/series-correct-score
  • Options
    This Royal Privitisation is brilliant for one reason

If it is a success, The Tories can take the credit, if it is a disaster, we can blame Vince Cable.

Win/Win
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2013
    Just to repeat an appeal from yesterday, for the psephologically-minded, re the 2010 GE results.

I've got a spreadsheet from the Harvard academic Pippa Norris. I also have a Python script I used to scrape the constituency results from the BBC site, and another for the Telegraph. And I downloaded a copy of the Press Association's spreadsheet (via the Guardian). The Telegraph results turned out to be error-strewn, but irritatingly even the rest have a variety of discrepancies, some of which I never got to the bottom of.

Some disputes were over whether to include the Thirsk and Malton result (which was run later due to a candidate's death), whether Bercow counted as a "Conservative" in Buckingham, and whether the North Ayrshire and Arran candidate for the Tories counted as official after the party disowned him. Some spreadsheets mistakenly conflated the Northern Ireland Green Party with the England and Wales Green Party.

Other problems I never solved! Derby South for instance, UKIP and an Independent got 1821 and 1357 votes, but which way round? The BBC, the PA/Guardian, the parliamentary website, and Derby CC reckoned that UKIP got 1821 and the indy 1357, whereas Pippa Norris reckoned it was UKIP 1357 and the indy 1821. I'm tempted to think Pippa Norris was wrong on this one.

In Morecambe and Lunesdale did the Lib Dems get 5791 votes (BBC, Lancaster Council, the parliamentary website), or 5971 votes (Pippa Norris, PA/Guardian, and ukpollingreport)?

In Worcestershire West, did the Lib Dems get 20,409 votes (Pippa Norris, Worcs CC) or 20,459 votes (the BBC site, and parliament.uk)?

Other places where Guardian/PA differ from Pippa Norris: in Cambridgeshire North East did UKIP get 2791 votes, or 2991? In Caerphilly, did the Lib Dems get 5688 or 5988? In Buckingham, did UKIP get 8401 or 8410?

I know these are only small errors but it's frustrating not to have a single reliable source for something as basic as election results!

If anyone could fill me in with some the actual results in my mystery constituencies, or point me in the direction of anyone who might know more, I would be most grateful. Are there a couple of other forums I might try my luck asking in?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Polling Alert - YouGov Times

The 5,191 respondents, three times the size of a normal YouGov poll, put Labour on 39 per cent, the Tories on 33 per cent, the Lib Dems on 8 per cent and UKIP on 12 per cent.

Exactly the same result as usual, but quite a small margin of error there.

- Proposed by a Labour Business Secretary
    ... all three parties which have been in government in living memory agree it should be done.

You're confusing Mandy with the Labour Party. There was a very clear majority in Labour against doing it. Moreover, Mandy was against privatisation too - he wanted a minority shareholding to get benefits of private investment without losing control, and we thought even that was too much. I can see the parcel service being privatised, but the universal letter service is a de facto monopoly (because nobody is going to start a rival universal service), and privatising it is as silly as privatising rail.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    @MyBurningEars

Did you see the spreadsheet I posted yesterday with the 2010 results?

I'm interested in sorting out the discrepancies you referred to. David Boothroyd on VoteUK often quotes the official expenses returns as the most reliable source of results.

The Press Association sometimes makes mistakes which then get repeated by all other sources. For example in 1997 they said the Labour vote in Beverley was 20,818 when it was actually 20,418. Most sources today still incorrectly quote 20,818 as the figure.
  • Options
    @AndyJS, yes I did, not sure if you saw my reply so I'll repost.

Andy_JS said:

@MyBurningEars

Here are the 2010 election results, ordered by declaration. At the moment it just has Con, Lab, LD and Others.

(Of course you could copy the data into another spreadsheet and reorder it by constituency name).

I'm going to add the regions to the data soon:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dE9GYzdTNDJBVklJeXV4MV9DN3YzRmc#gid=0

@AndyJS - did you compile it by actually listening to the results as they were declared?

Thinking about it, are we even sure that the results that get read out are correct- a lot of the discrepancies I found looked like transcription errors (swapped or altered digits) and I can imagine an error creeping in during the preparation of the results to be read out, or even the act of reading out itself, not just in the reporting of the results!

(I was particularly interested in your records of 5,791 in Morecambe and Lunesdale, 20,459 in Worcestershire West, 5,688 in Caerphilly!)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'd just like it noted that my alma mater, my university, UCL, is now 4th in the world.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0913/10092013-UCL-4th-in-QS-World-University-Rankings

Eat crow, Bologna

Damn! Imperial (my alma mater) is 5th!
    http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

*jealous*
    UCL is a fantastic place to be a student, btw. It's basically Sex, Drugs n Rock n Roll BUT - situated in maybe the greatest city in the world. You have the mummified and cloistered body of Utilitarian Philosopher Jeremy Bentham on the one hand, yet a global megacity 20 foot from your West End Halls of Residence on the Other.

Even when I was a drunk, deluded, and drug-addled 19-year-old UCL Philosophy Student, I realised that I was Significantly Privileged.
    Imperial was great - South Kensington a fantastic location. I spent nearly 10 years there in the end. (BSc, PhD and first Post-doc).
This discussion has been closed.