Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If EdM retains the 2010 LD>LAB switchers then it is job wel

SystemSystem Posts: 11,734
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If EdM retains the 2010 LD>LAB switchers then it is job well done

EdM at TUC
Only thing that matters electorally is that LAB keeps 2010 LDs who've switched
My view: nothing's changed pic.twitter.com/8mAI3VMgS2

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    A ComRes poll for ITV has found that 68% of people think trade unions should spend less time involved in national politics

• A ComRes poll for ITV has found that 68% of people think trade unions should spend less time involved in national politics. Only 12% said they they did not agree with that proposition. But the poll also found general support for unions. Some 49% said they were good for Britain overall, against 22% who disagreed. Asked whether they had too much say over what happens in Britain, respondents were evenly split - with 36% saying yes and 36% saying no.

• Members of the Usdaw shopworkers union have voted by 93% to keep their political fund. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/10/ed-milibands-tuc-speech-on-labours-links-with-the-unions-politics-live-blog#block-522f0defe4b005df22aa309b
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    You assume the 2010 LD switchers will bother to vote in 2015. A great many will not.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited September 2013
    Mr. 35% or one nation?
  • Options
    Top comment re Ed's speech http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100235287/ed-miliband-strode-into-the-tucs-house-and-then-he-bottled-it-and-ran-away/

"It was a bit rich for Ed Miliband to bang on about the iniquities of zero-hours contracts when, according to a recent survey by the Chartered Institute of Personal and Development, employers in the voluntary sector (34pc) and the public sector (24pc) are more likely to use zero hours contracts than private sector employers (17pc).

http://www.cipd.co.uk/pressoff...

Unions are far stronger in the public sector than the private sector. So why didn't Mr Miliband tell Barons Dave Prentis and Len McCluskey to sort out the problem of zero-hours contracts in their own backyard before shedding crocodile tears about how bad the zero-hours contract situation was in the private sector?

We know why, of course. Public sector unions put him where he is today.
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    I saw Rachel Reeves on Newsnight, thought she was no more boring than most other politicians. I did note a problem Labour have when she reemed off a number of policies, all of them were very core vote and none jumped out at me as being aimed at swing voters. I don't think things like reversing the "bedroom tax" and curtailing zero hour contracts will hurd a new breed of Labour voters to the ballot box.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

You assume the 2010 LD switchers will bother to vote in 2015. A great many will not.

Likelihood to vote is of course asked about and calculated in.
  • Options
    Source please?

The assumption is that the group of people most likely to vote at GE2015 will be those who voted at GE2010.

Your comment represents a high level of wishful thinking.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    "Why didn't Mr Miliband tell Barons Dave Prentis and Len McCluskey to sort out the problem of zero-hours contracts in their own backyard before shedding crocodile tears about how bad the zero-hours contract situation was in the private sector?"

I hope the conservatives make this point in their response to Ed's speech.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited September 2013
    Mr Smithson,as you were one of the Cameron the coward brigade over his giving into a EU referendum.

What's your thoughts on ed giving into a EU referendum for labour ?
  • Options
    *** Anecdote *** Please treat with extreme caution or ridicule as you see it ***

Ahead of the last election we were shocked when friends working in the public sector in jobs like accountancy, HR etc who we thought were 'sound' (thats for the redsters) said they were voting for Labour as they were worried about their jobs and thought the blues were anti-public sector, reds pro it.

Now they may still vote that way next election but perhaps they won't ... so the assumption that the Gordon Brown 29% is rock-solid 'bottom' is a questionable one I feel, how much was there cling to nanny for fear of worse which may now not apply...

Just saying.... OGH is a pb-god but then again he thought Bercow might lose to Farage so he is not entirely like the Pope....
  • Options
    Surely the loss of support to UKIP should be what Mr Miliband worries about. Not some rabidly anti-Tory LDs.

Labour local election results.

2011: 37%
    2012: 38%
    2013: 29%
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The great thing about the switchers is they only switch in marginal constituencies.

In Tory/lib dem fights, they switch not one jot - giving the best possible result for the left. Simples.

Very sly these switchers. bit like huffalumps and woozels.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Surely the loss of support to UKIP should be what Mr Miliband worries about. Not some rabidly anti-Tory LDs.

If ukip play it right in Bradford,alot of ex labour voters to pick up.

• Options
    tessyC said:

I saw Rachel Reeves on Newsnight, thought she was no more boring than most other politicians. I did note a problem Labour have when she reemed off a number of policies, all of them were very core vote and none jumped out at me as being aimed at swing voters. I don't think things like reversing the "bedroom tax" and curtailing zero hour contracts will hurd a new breed of Labour voters to the ballot box.

Quite. I can't believe the personable MP I saw a few yrs ago intv'd by Andrew Neil at the Labour conf is the same person. She was light-hearted, engaging and made me remember her. She's become a total robot with a manner akin to nails on a blackboard.

Labour desperately needs to grow a pair and decide who they represent and what their offer is - rubbishing Osborne et al is clearly not going anywhere - the polling has been telling us this for months.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    "For the Tories to have any chance of beating LAB on seats, never mind an overall majority, there has to be seepage of the 2010 switchers back to their former allegiance"

Or they switch to Blue to avoid the debacle of a Miliband govt.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

Source please?

The assumption is that the group of people most likely to vote at GE2015 will be those who voted at GE2010.

So is the biggest danger to Ed Miliband ... Tim Farron ?
  • Options

Lib dem switchers never switch to blue. Nobody who votes lib dem would countenance voting for the tories!!

I thought everyone knew that.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Shadow finance minister Ed Balls believes that Labour should offer an “in/out” referendum at an earlier date than Cameron, which would probably take place in 2017, to out-flank the Conservative prime minister.
    Intriguing vector for the plan.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Lib dem switchers never switch to blue. Nobody who votes lib dem would countenance voting for the tories!!

I voted Lib Dem in 2005 and Tory in 2010. Am I the exception that proves the rule ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @MikeSmithson

5-7% of LibDems to Labour.

Fine Mike. That is now but May 2015 will be an entirely different kettle of hot water that Ed will be warming his toes in. Very hot water .... and just, you understand, for the sake of clarity I should make it clear :

Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    I voted Lib Dem once when Hague was wearing his baseball cap...

Don't shoot me fellow herdmembers.
  • Options
    That is an interesting take and you are probably right.

If by any chance Clegg did step down before GE2015 then Farron would be in with a good chance of taking the leadership. He would certainly broaden the party's appeal.

Farron didn't vote for student fee increases and abstained on Syria.
    Pulpstar said:

Source please?

So is the biggest danger to Ed Miliband ... Tim Farron ?
  • Options
    Lib dems switching to labour will help tories in a lot of seats. Not saying that's its good overall for the tories but will possibly undo the tactical vote somewhat and mean more seats for tories on a certain vote share than is currently predicted.

Not sure you can gurantee that nobody who voted labour in 2010 will not vote tory in 2015 . Labour to tory switching of course happens (if conditions are right -ie economy etc)
  • Options
    I was mulling voting LD to keep Labour out in Cambridge - but thankfully I didn't as Labour came a third.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    taffys said:

"Why didn't Mr Miliband tell Barons Dave Prentis and Len McCluskey to sort out the problem of zero-hours contracts in their own backyard before shedding crocodile tears about how bad the zero-hours contract situation was in the private sector?"

I hope the conservatives make this point in their response to Ed's speech.

Why would you want the Conservatives to sound completely deranged?
  • Options

..so the assumption that the Gordon Brown 29% is rock-solid 'bottom' is a questionable one I feel, how much was there cling to nanny for fear of worse which may now not apply...

This is the point I have made, though more in terms of this being the only potential winning strategy for the Tories in 2015 - they have to find a way of winning over some of the voters who voted for Brown in 2010. If they cannot do that, they will surely fail to win a majority.

Looking at the last ICM Guardian poll we find (Table 3) that there was just 1 person who told ICM that they voted Labour in 2010, but now intended to vote Conservative in a general election, with 3 people going in the other direction. So with less than 20 months to go until the election, it does not look like the Conservatives have made much progress on that.

The largest movements were 25 respondents who said they were Lib Dem to Labour switchers and 20 who said they were switching from Conservative to UKIP.
  • Options

Mr Smithson,as you were one of the Cameron the coward brigade over his giving into a EU referendum.

I don't think it makes much difference as yesterday's TNS-BMRB poll showed.

• Options

With the growth of other parties Labor in Oz had their worst result on primary votes in 100 years at 34%. 40% and they would have won. That extra 6% is crucial, same as in UK.
    Had there been FPTP then Liberals in Oz would have won around 115 of 150 seats instead of about 88, and had Labor stalled by another 2 or 3% then a wipeout would have eventuated.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

I voted Lib Dem in 2005 and Tory in 2010. Am I the exception that proves the rule ?
    So far the LD2010->Con movement has held very low about around 5%-7% (of the LD2010 vote) from very early after the election through to the present.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577
    FPT
    RedRag1 said:

"What I found really odd was that the very small part of the audience you could see (the carefully selected gender/racial mix with an emphasis on youth stuck on the stage) looked bored out of their minds and the bit you could only hear seemed equally uninterested with feeble applause"

Like all parties do not do this. Generally the Tories also have the cabinet sat in front row of the hall listening to Cameron, nodding like they are adverts for Churchill, whilst he could be telling them he has just walloped their grans and wiped his Osborne on their curtains, those heads just keep nodding.

Completely correct. It is a horrible American idea that is well past its sell by date but no doubt all parties will use it again at their conferences.

And there must be a market/betting opportunity in how long Clarke can stay awake. He seems to struggle with PMQs these days.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

..so the assumption that the Gordon Brown 29% is rock-solid 'bottom' is a questionable one I feel, how much was there cling to nanny for fear of worse which may now not apply...

This is the point I have made, though more in terms of this being the only potential winning strategy for the Tories in 2015 - they have to find a way of winning over some of the voters who voted for Brown in 2010. If they cannot do that, they will surely fail to win a majority.

Looking at the last ICM Guardian poll we find (Table 3) that there was just 1 person who told ICM that they voted Labour in 2010, but now intended to vote Conservative in a general election, with 3 people going in the other direction. So with less than 20 months to go until the election, it does not look like the Conservatives have made much progress on that.

The largest movements were 25 respondents who said they were Lib Dem to Labour switchers and 20 who said they were switching from Conservative to UKIP.
    For table 3

"Data excludes those who definitely will not vote (11%), don't know who they would vote for (21%) or refuse to answer (10%)"

Table 2 has "don't knows" as C 14%, L 14% , LD 32% ..

Suggests that if LDs up their propensity to vote they will stuff Miliband. Go yellers.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ''So far the LD2010->Con movement has held very low about around 5%-7% (of the LD2010 vote) from very early after the election through to the present. ''

But not in lib dem/tory battlegrounds. There the lib dem vote is rock solid and will be next time around. Because everybody hates the tories.
  • Options
    I think the tendency to switch for any voter between any two parties is underestimated on here perhaps because of people on here being naturally more interested and partisan about politics than the average voter . Just because we believe we would never vote for a certain party in a million years does not mean people with less conviction will not do so either
  • Options

Strong, decisive EdM.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    For some PBers this thread reminds me of a reworking of the old "Morecambe and Wise" sketch :

"I used to vote LibDem and look what happened to me !!"
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I voted Lib Dem once when Hague was wearing his baseball cap...

Don't shoot me fellow herdmembers.

I voted LD in 1992 - when Paddy was pre-Pantsdown IIRC
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

This is one more reason why Labour are so set on being negative about the Conservatives: it really helps them in tactical terms, when selective switchers change based on an anti-Conservative basis. It's also much easier to attack than defend, but, over time, has dramatically eroded trust in politics and politicians generally.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    It's most unlikely, however, that the Lib Dems will finish up with the 8-9% of the vote that Yougov currently giving them.

We need to know also where Lib Dem/Lab switchers are mostly located. If they're disproportionately located in places like Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Gateshead etc., then they'll certainly push up the Labour majorities in those seats, but they won't contribute much towards winning marginal seats.
  • Options
    FPT: Mr. W, good call on Nadal, old bean.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

For table 3

"Data excludes those who definitely will not vote (11%), don't know who they would vote for (21%) or refuse to answer (10%)"

Table 2 has "don't knows" as C 14%, L 14% , LD 32% ..

Suggests that if LDs up their propensity to vote they will stuff Miliband. Go yellers.
    I don't know how those figures compare to, say, the run-up to the 2010 general election. They may not make any difference.

It is possible that there will be a 1992-style swing in the polling booth to the incumbent Tories, but worth noting that if you add up those percentages you get 42%. Overall turnout at the last GE was 65.1%, so the majority of that 42% simply is not going to vote.

You can put your faith in non-voters if you want...
  • Options
    Come to the super CON-LAB marginal of Bedford Sean - ony a few miles up the road.

My readng is that there'll disproportionate 2010 LD>LAB switching for the general election.
    Sean_F said:

It's most unlikely, however, that the Lib Dems will finish up with the 8-9% of the vote that Yougov currently giving them.

We need to know also where Lib Dem/Lab switchers are mostly located. If they're disproportionately located in places like Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Gateshead etc., then they'll certainly push up the Labour majorities in those seats, but they won't contribute much towards winning marginal seats.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited September 2013
    Le Vell not guilty on 3 of 12 charges including Rape
  • Options
    After todays dismal performance I think tomorrows papers will be an uncomfortable read for EdM
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

This is one more reason why Labour are so set on being negative about the Conservatives: it really helps them in tactical terms, when selective switchers change based on an anti-Conservative basis. It's also much easier to attack than defend, but, over time, has dramatically eroded trust in politics and politicians generally.

Over time here meaning "since the beginning of politics".
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Now, Not guilty on all charges
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    edited September 2013
    Mr. Corporeal, whilst negative lines have always been tried, there's been some discussion on the site which does suggest that there was a much more balanced positive/negative approach to stories a couple of decades ago. In addition, trust in politics and electoral turnouts have declined dramatically over that period.

Edited extra bit: also, can I just confirm a Welsh thing? Considering having a title of Gesith, and was thinking of changing the spelling to Gesidd. In Welsh, that'd be pronounced 'Gesith', right?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    Well, indeed, for all the froth about this speech (and TBH does anyone - outside the Kinnock "Militant" and Thatcher "U-Turn" speech - remember any conference or TUC speech?) Labour have been in the lead for a good long while now with no sign of the Tories changing that.

Still, the papers have to write about something.....
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I'm not sure that was the "expected" result for the media...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2013

Yesterday's TNS poll showed it could move 20-40% of the voters.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,235
    ABC News has called the following seats in the last few hours:

For the Liberals:
    Solomon
    Lyons

For Labor:
    Lilley
    Lingiari

That leaves 11 seats still in doubt:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dERmb2NsbmpUNmlyOHplOTNOTE9iZVE#gid=0
  • Options
    Rodcrosby - was in a sauna at a gym club the other day and the local pub bores were in discussing the coronation street trials - I don't watch it but was dismayed to hear them talking about 'Kevin Webster' and 'Ken Barlow' when discussing the trials as opposed to their real names (with no irony it seemed ) . For god's sake Britain what is wrong with you!! (I felt like shouting)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2013
    Sean_F said:

In the local elections the Lib Dem vote seems to hold up okay in some places, but (although I've done no statistical analysis on this) reasonably often collapses to pitiful levels in wards with a strong Labour vote. So there may be something in this, but I'd like to take a proper look at the figures at some point. Does anyone have a spreadsheet of local election results linked to constituencies?

The Lib Dem national vote started from such an inefficient geographic allocation in the first place, that they can (in theory) afford to lose a greater proportion of their votes than the other parties could, so long as they lose those votes in the "right" places. But I suspect the Lib Dems will actually lose votes in some of the "wrong" places too - they have done reasonably well in Scotland in the past, but won't in the foreseeable future.

And I think the strongest and simplest case that Mike is right, is that the number of LD -> Lab switchers is so large, and there are enough Con/Lab marginals where they will make a difference, in addition to any seats the Lib Dems lose to Labour.

EDIT - ach, Mike got in first. Must write shorter. Or type faster.
  • Options
    The article's correct. In my constituency, the LibDems are nearly non-existent now, and their vote, like their membership, has crumbled. Add in UKIP outflanking the Tories, and I suspect that a majority Labour government is the most likely result in 2015.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    SeanF raises an interesting point.

I actually did an experiment on that very subject recently. I went through every Labour held constituency where there could plausibly be a 10% swing from LD to Lab. It turns out there are about 100 seats in that category: Labour seats like Sheffield Central and Hull North where the LDs almost won last time.

The point is — as SeanF says — that the majority of movement from LD to Lab could take place in seats like this, but it would mean no seats changing hands in theory. (Of course in practice Labour would take a few seats from the LDs like Manchester Withington).
  • Options
    My reading is that there'll disproportionate 2010 LD>LAB switching for the general election.

Conversely the number of lib dem switchers in Eastleigh will be zero....
  • Options
    RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    edited September 2013
    Mike's opinion on this topic is as wearisome as it is fallacious. Being the politiknik that he is he thinks voters 'belong' to parties, that allegiances are set, that for such-and-such a party to succeed x number of previously voting y supporters must either stay or switch, that they either remember or tell the truth to pollsters on how they've voted in the past.

What's so wrong with this seemingly incontrovertible argument? It is wrong as its core because it ignores the one fundamental truth about British politics, and that is that the majority don't have allegiances, and that trend is only growing. There are 100,000 Conservative members, 187,000 Labour members and around 47,000 LibDems. All three parties show sharp declines in membership.

So the three main parties have roughly 350,000 members.

Yet at recent General Elections the numbers who voted were:

2010 30 million
    2005 27 million
    2001 26 million

General Elections are won and lost by a vast swathe of floaters, people who are swayed by the prevailing mood, amongst them first time voters, people who come out and vote based on a number of factors the most important of which is looking after No.1, which is the economy in their own pocket.
  • Options
    Mr. Carter, welcome to pb.com.

I hope your prediction doesn't come true, but I must agree that things still look best for Labour regarding MPs after the election.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
  • Options

After todays dismal performance I think tomorrows papers will be an uncomfortable read for EdM

I rather think that regardless of what Miliband had said, there would be unfavourable comment in the (largely Tory) press anyway.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Plus there are over a dozen seats currently held by the LibDems (Solihill, Mid Dorset & N Poole, Wells, St Austell & Newquay, Somerton & Frome, Sutton & Cheam, St Ives, Chippenham, Cheadle, N Cornwall, Eastbourne, Taunton Deane, Berwick-upon-Tweed) where Labour are nowhere, and where therefore the more disgruntled 2010 LibDems are, the better for the Tories.

The big question, therefore, is the uniformity of the disgruntlement.
  • Options
    The error in this approach is the assumption that the 29% that voted for Brown will vote Labour again. OGH looks at mid term polls and says, well the Labour vote is pretty solid so far (and it is) so why should this change?

There are several reasons.

Firstly, although I think that Brown was arguably our worst PM in history many serious people disagreed. They were persuaded by the wiles of Mandy that this was "no time for a novice", they had some respect for Alastair Darling and Osborne was an unknown quantity. I think it is very optimistic to believe that these people will all feel that way about Ed Miliband when they have to make the choice.

Secondly, Mandy's campaign was very successful in scaring people, particularly those that worked for the public sector or received working benefits. Some, almost a million by the election, will have seen those fears borne out in that they will no longer work for the public sector but 5m will not and working benefits are still here for the lower paid (that is under the £50 odd thousand that used to get them). Some of those will feel conned and some will not be so scared anymore.

Thirdly, on current estimates, there will be something like another 2m more people working in this country by 2015. A lot of them will be paying tax and a bit more concerned about how much tax they pay and how it is spent. More than 100% of this increase will be in the private sector given the reduction in public sector employment.

Fourthly, people are just not as tribal anymore. Politics is more volatile.

I could go on but what I think we will see over the next 18 months is some recovery in the Lib Dems, some reduction in the Westminster vote for UKIP, some movement of the floating voters from Labour to the tories and a net situation whereby the tories win the popular vote. Whether that will be by enough to get a majority is much harder to call. Probably not.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

There are roughly three types of seats that we are interested in here: safe Tory/Labour seats, marginal Tory/Labour seats, Lib Dem held seats.

In the first, the Lib Dem switchers to Labour will make no difference, in the second they will help Labour and in the third they will help the Tories.

The relatively scant evidence that we have to date [Eastleigh by-election, Ashcroft opinion polling, local election results] does suggest that there will be fewer Lib Dem to Labour switchers in Lib Dem held seats where the Tories are second.

Unfortunately, none of the opinion polls break down respondents who live in the Middle England Towns and Their Hinterlands [named by Blair Freeburn] which are where so many of the marginals are located - that is settlements with a population roughly between 10,000 - 250,000. These are places like Gloucester, Carlisle, Ipswich and Wolverhampton. They are in all regions of the UK.

Ashcroft comes fairly close to picking these places out, but his highest delimiter is at 10,000, so he combines all of these sorts of places with the large cities such as Manchester.
  • Options
    very true Ricardohos - sometimes you can over analysis these things and think you are typical of the average voter (which of course anyone on this site is not due to its nature)
  • Options
    Indeed, Miss Cyclefree.

"Robin Hood tax and Tobin tax" - point of order (to the BBC): Robin Hood wanted less taxation, not more.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    edited September 2013
    RodCrosby said:

It sounds like the prosecution case was based largely on the testimony of the alleged victim, flatly denied by Le Vell; an inevitable difficulty of prosecuting sexual offences, regrettably. Regardless of how sincere the witness comes across in the stand, would I feel comfortable saying I was convinced "beyond all reasonable doubt" to convict someone of a major crime on that evidence? I think it's very difficult.

Disclaimer: I don't know if he was guilty or not, and I don't wish to imply otherwise.
  • Options
    Good point re Robin Hood (one of my heroes even if he may not have existed or done the things he was supposed to ) Morris dancer!!
  • Options
    It's a pity one doesn't get explanations for the jury's decision like you do in some countries.
  • Options
    I think if you assumed Labour were going to win all the votes they did in 2010 and then you added on switchers from LDs and other parties Labour would be on about 42% in the polls. Instead they're on about 37% because they've lost some votes to UKIP and other parties.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The error in this approach is the assumption that the 29% that voted for Brown will vote Labour again. OGH looks at mid term polls and says, well the Labour vote is pretty solid so far (and it is) so why should this change?

Fifthly - Scotland - where Labour votes held up due to the nationality of GB. See Subo winning that tv show etc.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    edited September 2013
    And if people like Sarah Teather keep leaving,then not only will the Lib Dem defectors stay with Labour,there will be another small minority who will start leaving.

With the Syrian intervention,fracking,attack on Guardian journalists,Lobbying bill and Snooping bill,it`s time for real Lib Dems to ask for their money back
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), I concur that Labour could well lose some MPs in Scotland, but the weakness there of the Conservatives and the 'collaboration' of the Lib Dems should probably limit their losses.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

For the Liberals:
    Solomon
    Lyons

For Labor:
    Lilley
    Lingiari

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dERmb2NsbmpUNmlyOHplOTNOTE9iZVE#gid=0

Not sure ABC is best source for outcomes, but with so many postal votes anything under 49 to 49.5% now to labor is a goner based on previous elections. Liberals tend to have more money and holiday more or be away on biz is a contributor to this outcome.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

And the polling on this is clear

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/10/milibands-tuc-speech-popular-ideas/

. Do you support or oppose the changes Ed Miliband is
    proposing

2010 Lib Dems

Approve 68%
    Disapprove 12%

But Mike will take stick from the posters who get elections wrong and never learn.

"I'm going to stop doing what the bad man tells me to. Do you approve or disapprove?"

Approve 68%
    Disapprove 12%

Mike is right, though: this is the key question. I am not convinced, that come to the ballot box, many will not revert to their previous loyalty. But I guess we have yet to see - and the key point will be when the Lib Dems truly disengage from the Coalitin. Will be interesting to watch.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

Fifthly - Scotland - where Labour votes held up due to the nationality of GB. See Subo winning that tv show etc.
    I think Labour will lose seats in Scotland but not to the tories so that won't help their efforts to get a majority. The tories may well pick up one or two of the Lib Dem casualties.
  • Options
    F1: "Sir Jacket Stewart believes Kimi Raikkonen joining Ferrari would have a destabilising effect on Fernando Alonso. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/

Ahem. It's 'Sir Jackie' :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24031963

However, typo aside, he's probably right, and others have made similar comments. It would seem a weird decision to me. Not only because of the potential for alpha drivers butting heads, but also because both men will probably retire in the nearer rather than distant future, whereas Hulkenberg (or Di Resta) would be a good driver now who can stay for a long time, and inherit number one status.

It would also be entirely contrary to Ferrari's long-standing number one driver approach. Raikkonen, apparently, was made a Ferrari driver on 10 September a few years back, so if he is joining the team it may well be confirmed tomorrow.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

And if people like Sarah Teather keep going,then not only will the Lib Dem defectors stay with Labour,there will be another small minority who will start leaving.

With the Syrian intervention,fracking,attack on Guardian journalists,Lobbying bill and Snooping bill,it`s time for real Lib Dems to ask for their money back

If another Lib-Con coalition is on the cards based on a smaller rump of LD Mps - would it be humiliating for the LDs to have less cabinet members than this parly ? A potential bargaining chip for Labour - shack up with us and you can have another cabinet post or two.... ?
  • Options
    tim said:

And the polling on this is clear

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/10/milibands-tuc-speech-popular-ideas/

. Do you support or oppose the changes Ed Miliband is
    proposing

2010 Lib Dems

Approve 68%
    Disapprove 12%

But Mike will take stick from the posters who get elections wrong and never learn.

You keep trotting this out like its some sort of "killer fact" while 2010 Lib Dems are less keen on Milibands reforms than current ones:

Lib Dem (2010)
    Support : 75 (68)
    Oppose: 15 (12)

Also the greatest group of 2010 Lib Dems (38%) say it will make no difference to their voting as they were not going to vote for Labour anyway......and while 21% say it will make them more likely to vote Labour - that's the same as 2010 Labour.

But kudos for chutzpah on condescending to those who are always wrong and never learn on your great "non-story"!

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

The prosecution's case sounded like it was full of holes. Hopefully he can pick up the pieces, details of his private life have been all over the media with the information given out about the trial in the last few days.

Celebrity or not, what has happened to him has been utterly brutal. Hopefully Mr Turner can get back to focussing on his acting career now.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    What a strange place it is to be for an opposition leader who isn't winning votes off the PM's party. Knocking Labour down past the 29.1% they got last time would be a Herculean task anyway - surely it should be the PM looking to shave a couple of points off other parties and the Opposition to stick it to the PM.
  • Options

Just to remind all:

No speculation about Nigel Evans' guilt or innocence. Any posts on this topic will now require a link from a reputable UK news organisation.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

For the Liberals:
    Solomon
    Lyons

For Labor:
    Lilley
    Lingiari

Not sure ABC is best source for outcomes, but with so many postal votes anything under 49 to 49.5% now to labor is a goner based on previous elections. Liberals tend to have more money and holiday more or be away on biz is a contributor to this outcome.
    There's no point in using the official website at the moment because no seats have been formally declared so far:

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

SeanF raises an interesting point.

I actually did an experiment on that very subject recently. I went through every Labour held constituency where there could plausibly be a 10% swing from LD to Lab. It turns out there are about 100 seats in that category: Labour seats like Sheffield Central and Hull North where the LDs almost won last time.

The point is — as SeanF says — that the majority of movement from LD to Lab could take place in seats like this, but it would mean no seats changing hands in theory. (Of course in practice Labour would take a few seats from the LDs like Manchester Withington).

Clearly there will be lots of seats with decent Labour majorities that become seats with even thumpier Labour majorities. I suspect Labour's new vote distribution will be less efficient.

But I think singling out seats with plausible 10% LD->LAB swing, misses out the effect a smaller swing could have on Lab/Con marginals.

An exercise I have been intending to do at some point - grind down the Lib Dem vote in each constituency, by a factor based on a geographical weighting (the LDs have not taken disproportionate hits in the North and Scotland) and incumbency (not just for the usual bonus, but because the LDs are going to be fighting tooth and nail in a handful of winnable constituencies and would be mad to target any significant resources at the rest). Assume that these LD switchers will go Labour or Tory, and there are no Lab->Con switchers. Calculate exactly what percentage of those LD switchers the Tories need to capture to get a majority, and ditto for Labour. I am quite confident that it will bear Mike out - the current polls would suggest Tories would be miles away from their critical ex-LD capture percentage, and Labour above it.

Labour might only be narrowly above it, since their current projected Commons leads also benefit from Tory->Lab switchers. It would be possible to recalculate the critical ex-LD capture percentages for a variety of CON->LAB uniform swings, and I suspect the critical percentage for Labour comes down a lot with even relatively small CON -> LAB swings. But it'd be interesting to crunch the numbers properly. As a refinement, Scottish and Welsh ex-LDs might turn to a nationalist party, but I don't think that'd make a big difference to the outcome.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I found this shocking: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10299456/Coronation-Street-actor-Michael-Le-Vell-not-guilty-of-child-sex-charges.html

"But the court heard that medical experts who had examined the girl had found no clear physical evidence that she had ever been sexually abused.

When she was examined two years after the last alleged attack, tests indicated that she had not had full sex, the jury was told."

I mean, how on earth did this get to the jury?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

And if people like Sarah Teather keep going,then not only will the Lib Dem defectors stay with Labour,there will be another small minority who will start leaving.

If another Lib-Con coalition is on the cards based on a smaller rump of LD Mps - would it be humiliating for the LDs to have less cabinet members than this parly ? A potential bargaining chip for Labour - shack up with us and you can have another cabinet post or two.... ?
    Cabinet post or not,I suspect a lot of backbench Lib Dem MP`s are more comfortable shacking up with Labour than a Tory government which is turning more authoritarian by the day.
  • Options
    ''With the Syrian intervention,fracking,attack on Guardian journalists,Lobbying bill and Snooping bill,it`s time for real Lib Dems to ask for their money back''

except of course in the lib dem/conservative/UKIP fights, where you would presumably want them to keep voting lib dem (such as Eastleigh).
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    The thread from Mike is a fair reflection of how the result of an election would be expected to pan out if it was conducted in the next couple of months.

As it is to be in about 20 months, there is a degree of speculation, calculation, experience and maybe some bias from wishful thinking in transforming the information we have today into a result in 20 months time.

The information fed in that any projections are based on is information that is collected in an environment that is radically different from any recent political cycle. That gives a massive unknown as to how the unknown of coalition and a single parliamentary opposition party has altered responses so far, and more importantly, how those who have amended or not amended responses since 2010 will behave in the polling booth in 2015. Are responses with passion and belief or with a shrug of resignation and lack of choice?

I think there is a knowledge vacuum that makes projecting 2015 this far out a hobby that could easily make you come a cropper and fall on your ARSE, or any other part of the anatomy.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''With the Syrian intervention,fracking,attack on Guardian journalists,Lobbying bill and Snooping bill,it`s time for real Lib Dems to ask for their money back''

except of course in the lib dem/conservative/UKIP fights, where you would presumably want them to keep voting lib dem (such as Eastleigh).

I honestly couldn`t care less.I think Britain is in for four-party politics for a while and if Miliband gets in,he`s going to change the voting system anyway.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147

F1: "Sir Jacket Stewart believes Kimi Raikkonen joining Ferrari would have a destabilising effect on Fernando Alonso. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/

Ahem. It's 'Sir Jackie' :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24031963

However, typo aside, he's probably right, and others have made similar comments. It would seem a weird decision to me. Not only because of the potential for alpha drivers butting heads, but also because both men will probably retire in the nearer rather than distant future, whereas Hulkenberg (or Di Resta) would be a good driver now who can stay for a long time, and inherit number one status.

It would also be entirely contrary to Ferrari's long-standing number one driver approach. Raikkonen, apparently, was made a Ferrari driver on 10 September a few years back, so if he is joining the team it may well be confirmed tomorrow.

My suspicion is that the Alonso Ferrari relationship has fallen apart and this is an attempt to force him out.

I note that while it was supposed to be announced today no announcement has been forthcoming....
  • Options
    At the 2015 GE will the Lib Dems lose more seats to Labour or the Conservatives?

The 12th Lib Dem seat on the Labour target list is Cardiff Central, which is held with a majority of 4576 (12.7%).

The 12th Lib Dem seat on the Conservative target list is Eastbourne, which is held with a majority of 3435 (6.6%).

Although the majority over the Conservatives is lower in Eastbourne, the Lib Dem - Labour swing required for the seat to change hands is higher there than in Cardiff Central [6.6% compared to 6.4%]. This suggests that even if the Lib Dem to Labour swing is uniform, this will not disproportionately benefit the Tories as we often assume on here.
  • Options

Indeed, Miss Cyclefree.

"Robin Hood tax and Tobin tax" - point of order (to the BBC): Robin Hood wanted less taxation, not more.

Rather depends on the incarnation you adopt.

The evolution of Robin Hood (and also King Arthur) is rather fascinating in what it shows about society of the time of the evolution (and particularly as those in power re-shaped it for their own purposes at various points).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I found this shocking: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10299456/Coronation-Street-actor-Michael-Le-Vell-not-guilty-of-child-sex-charges.html

"But the court heard that medical experts who had examined the girl had found no clear physical evidence that she had ever been sexually abused.

When she was examined two years after the last alleged attack, tests indicated that she had not had full sex, the jury was told."

I thought it was a bit of a conviction of rape debunker myself - that the jury cleared him of the whole lot in less than 5 hrs with 12 charges seemed pretty conclusive.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

What a strange place it is to be for an opposition leader who isn't winning votes off the PM's party. Knocking Labour down past the 29.1% they got last time would be a Herculean task anyway - surely it should be the PM looking to shave a couple of points off other parties and the Opposition to stick it to the PM.Yes, it is a bit odd. I checked a whole number of ICM polls over the last year, to see how different the numbers were from month to month, but none had the Tories winning more votes from Labour than Labour took from the Tories, so it didn't contradict the point I was making. Sometimes the churn was higher, though.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,167
    Mr Corporeal I didn't think Robin Hood, at least in his most popular incarnation, was against tax; he just thought the rich should be taxed but not the poor.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Good question.
  • Options
    This looks like another big win for Osborne:

"Plans to introduce a financial transactions tax (FTT) in 2014 are illegal, EU lawyers have concluded.

The findings, presented by Brussels' legal services team, stated that the plan, which would introduce a levy of financial transactions in 11 EU member states, "exceeds member states' jurisdiction for taxation under the norms of international customary law".

The 14-page legal opinion, seen by Reuters, said the FTT was not compatible with the EU treaty "as it infringes upon the taxing competences of non participating member states", while introducing it only in some member states would also be "discriminatory and likely to lead to distortion of competition to the detriment of non participating member states".

While the lawyers' findings are not binding, it will make FTT plans harder to introduce in their current form. "

Won't win him many votes of course but very important for one of our key industries.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    tim said:

The penny seems to be dropping among smart Tories, and even a few PB Tories that the Conservative party's attacks on TradeUnions may be counterproductive.

Isn’t it possible – not certain but merely possible – that Miliband is on to something here? And if he is and if he manages to push these reforms through and they actually amount to something wouldn’t there be some contrast between a Labour party largely funded by small donors and a Tory party disagreeably dependent upon large donations from millionaires? I think there might be and that contrast might not work to the Tories’ advantage.

Which is another way of saying that for all the energy the Tories spend attacking union bosses those bosses are, objectively speaking, the Tories’ allies. Unions aren’t a problem really but the Conservatives would like you to believe they are; mighty union bosses might not have Ed Miliband in their pocket but the Tory party would like you to think they do. It is in Conservative interests to up-big the Unions and they have ample reason to fear Miliband’s proposed reforms.

Meanwhile, it is certainly true that millions of union members voted Conservative at the last election. Which is something Tories might remember just as they might remember that government-paid public-sector workers also vote and writing – or seeming to write – those citizens off as the problem or the reason for Britain’s sub-optimal economic performance might not be the wisest electoral ploy in the world.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2013/09/ed-miliband-vs-the-trade-unions-and-why-tories-should-hope-the-unions-win/

Those people who fall for stories about trade unions, immigrants and disabled benefit scroungers are as damaging to the Tory Party as the Tea Party loons are to the long term interests of the GOP

Ed Miliband seems to be the one who has fallen most for Union scare stories.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    FPT @Cyclefree

Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Absolutely right, Mike.

A further problem for the Tories is that this set of voters are probably going to be highly tactical, rather than tribally Labour. Essentially using their vote to try to get rid of the Tories.

Libs holding off the Tories in some seats, Lab taking seats elsewhere thanks to the tactical element, add in UKIP splitting the Right, an absolute nightmare for the Tories.

DavidL highlights the optimistic scenario whereby the Tories might scrape something together, but even that seems slightly far fetched going by recent trends.

In short, Ed Miliband is highly likely to be Prime Minister in 20 months time.
  • Options
    English state schools are making "genuine and radical advances" and more children are getting a better education as a result of more rigorous inspection policies, according to the chief inspector of schools.

"The unprecedented rate of national improvement that this new data shows is cause for celebration," Sir Michael Wilshaw told a meeting of leading headteachers in Manchester.

Ofsted's annual schools health check shows that by the middle of this year its inspectors had rated 78% of schools in England as either good or outstanding, an increase of 9% in the space of 12 months, which Wilshaw said was the fastest increase in the watchdog's history.

"More schools are getting to good, and doing so more quickly, than ever before. More children are getting a better education as a result," Wilshaw said, citing a figure of 600,000 more schoolchildren in England now getting at least a good standard of education compared with at the beginning of the 2012 academic year. http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/sep/09/schools-advances-ofsted-chief-wilshaw
  • Options

"More control over our borders" did come in the top three however...
This discussion has been closed.