Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Populus Poll out

2»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    Patrick said:

I can still remember the first 10 lines or so of Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman - in Russian - which got an A level Grade A in. It's quite rhymey / song lyricy, but most of all it's about founding St.Petersburg so Peter the Great can smash the crap out of Sweden! My teenage self could relate to that.

I think I'm down to 1/3 Goth now.

There's a musicality about good poetry which is why some of the best song lyrics could be read as poetry just as much as they can be sung. Not long ago on R4 a poet read out "You'll never walk alone" and it sounded like the very good poem it is and it was only until near the end that it was recognisable as the football anthem.

So many people speaking English have such a tin ear for the language's rythm and sound and cadences. Hearing poetry - whether limericks or lyrics - would immeasurably improve how people write and speak, quite apart from the pleasure of the content.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited September 2013
    Patrick said:

I can still remember the first 10 lines or so of Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman - in Russian - which got an A level Grade A in. It's quite rhymey / song lyricy, but most of all it's about founding St.Petersburg so Peter the Great can smash the crap out of Sweden! My teenage self could relate to that.

I think I'm down to 1/3 Goth now.

Shame on you, Patrick .You come from the school which gave us John Betjeman, Siegfried Sassoon, Charles Sorley and Louis MacNeice.

And though Byron went to Harrow, surely you were taught his topical "The Destruction of Sennacherib":

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
    And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
    And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
    When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.

The Assyrian was obviously a kipper. No wonder Farage is opposed to intervention.

Only bettered when the MCC led by W.G Grace were defeated at Lords on 27 May 1878 by the first Australian team to tour England:

The Australians came down like a wolf on the fold,
    The Marylebone cracks for a trifle were bowled;
    Our Grace before dinner was very soon done,
    And Grace after dinner did not get a run.

• Options
    OK. In its broadest definition I like poetry. There we are.

Just some of it is crap. And I reserve the right to not like that stuff.

The lyrics to Suspicious Minds knock that Irish chap into a cocked hat.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited September 2013
    Patrick said:

God I hate poetry bores.
  • Options
    Unite threatening to boycott the Labour Conference.. Panic among Brighton Landlords..
    Who will be there if Unite doesn't turn up?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    TOPPING said:

Patrick said:

God I hate poetry bores....
    LIKE!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    @DavidL (2:45pm)
    Your assumptions (q-o-q growth: Q3 +0.7% and Q4 0.6%) indeed result in y-o-y growth of 1.38% if applied to the the levels of GDP given in ONS table A2, GDP at constant market prices, chained volume measure, page 36 in
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_322665.pdf.
  • Options
    The YouGov question on the 59:29 No/Yes split on Scottish independence:

"If there was a referendum tomorrow on Scotland leaving the United Kingdom and becoming an Independent Country and this was the question, how would you vote? Should Scotland be an independent country?"

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2rnh7dcu0g/YG-Archive-Devo-Plus-results-220813-Scottish-independence.pdf

Can't find the Panelbase poll/questions online.....
  • Options
    @ChrisMasonBBC:

"The Scottish National Party has alleged that UK has provided training to top senior Syrian military officers from President Assad's regime."
  • Options
    I do hope that if we ever meet aliens from outer space we will not embarrass ourselves (and them!) by showing them some of the poetry we have made . Give them a brass band recital of the floral dance , or the turkish march maybe but no Kipling or Tennyson etc
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Really strong figures suggesting that July was not some kind of a freak.

I am still bemused as to how the growth forecasts for this year are around the 1.3% level. We had 0.3% in Q1, 0.7% in Q2, we look like we are going to have at least 0.7% in Q3 and prehaps 0.6% in Q4. Why does that not amount to 0.3+0.7+0.7 +.0.6 = 2.3% growth? I really don't understand how the annual figure can be a full 1% less than the quarterly figures. Logic seems to indicate that it should in fact be more because the growth is on a slightly higher base each quarter.

The calculation that you quote would give annual growth of 2.32%, because of the effect of compounding - which is a smaller effect then you could get from rounding - which would give a range of approximately 2.1% - 2.5% annual growth.

This is all by-the-by, really. The reason for the caution from the economic forecasters is that they just don't believe the figures, partly because they were confounded in the last couple of years when good quarters were followed by surprisingly bad quarters. If Q4 in your extrapolation ends up as -0.5, then growth for the year would be about 1.2%.

If consumers are suddenly frightened off borrowing, Osborne's housing bubble doesn't come off the ground, and there is a mild external shock to the economy - or a bit of snow - then this could easily come to pass.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

So, it's as you were, basically. If that persists with Populus and other polls then the "OH noes!" drama of the frontpages will look a little bit hysterical.
  • Options
    Looks like Labour did train Syrian Army officers:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/27/syrian-officers-trained-in-britain

"Three officers from the Syrian armed forces were trained in Britain from 2005 to 2010, and a further two were enrolled in 2003 at Sandhurst, the army officer training college in Surrey, and at the Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth. The data was released following a freedom of information request by the Guardian."
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    For football fans and John Loony

http://whatbaleearns.co.uk/

Andrew Bloch @AndrewBloch
    Gareth Bale has now earned £6,055.46 since joining Real Madrid and can afford to buy 12,000 cans of Tango
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    edited September 2013

@ChrisMasonBBC:

"The Scottish National Party has alleged that UK has provided training to top senior Syrian military officers from President Assad's regime."

I would be surprised if no Syrian officers had been through Sandhurst.

(fx: Googles): ah yes,here:

The last one left in 2010.

IANAE on the military, but I can see potential advantages for both sides in such a limited arrangement.

(Edit: Carlotta beat me to it)
  • Options

.. or a bit of snow..

Just a bit of fun - but the GPC outlook from the Met Office does have a slight easterly signal, which would produce a colder than otherwise winter.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Looks like Labour did train Syrian Army officers

In what? The use of deadly algorithms?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Your assumptions (q-o-q growth: Q3 +0.7% and Q4 0.6%) indeed result in y-o-y growth of 1.38% if applied to the the levels of GDP given in ONS table A2, GDP at constant market prices, chained volume measure, page 36 in

Yesss...can you do that again in English?

Is it as simple as the quarterly figures are nominal and the annual figures are deflated? Or are they somehow being deflated in a different way?

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230

"Three officers from the Syrian armed forces were trained in Britain from 2005 to 2010, and a further two were enrolled in 2003 at Sandhurst, the army officer training college in Surrey, and at the Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth. The data was released following a freedom of information request by the Guardian."

Yes - but presumably they weren't being trained in how to use chemical weapons on civilians....

The British Army has been training officers from Middle Eastern states for some time now - and both governments have been keen to sell arms to their governments. Not sure that this is a party political point, really.

• Options
    Off-topic: what sort of tax is levied on a football transfer? Not really fussed, I'm just curious, as the nun said to the netball team.
  • Options
    Not sure Morris but the profit and loss accounts of football teams i think they treat transfers in and out as revenue items rather than capital items. It may therefore mean they are taxed as part of a profit (or loss) .
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Yes - but presumably they weren't being trained in how to use chemical weapons on civilians....

The British Army has been training officers from Middle Eastern states for some time now - and both governments have been keen to sell arms to their governments. Not sure that this is a party political point, really.

It does explain why the SNP, and not Labour brought it up.....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,025
    Australian Labor Party is 22 with Betfair to win the election:

https://touch.betfair.com/#/market_2_100231558?ts=1378133318582
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    DavidL said:

geoffw said:

Yesss...can you do that again in English?

Is it as simple as the quarterly figures are nominal and the annual figures are deflated? Or are they somehow being deflated in a different way?

David

In the context of media commentary, GDP figures are Quarter on previous Quarter growth and are nominal.

Year on Year growth (both quarter on quarter and rolling 12 month on 12 month) are also published but not discussed widely in the media.

Real Term GDP growth figures are mainly used by economists retrospectively rather than at the time they are announced. The OECD and Eurostat publish inter-country comparative tables of real term GDP growth.

geoffw is stretching it a bit to say that the sum (or product) of four quarter on previous quarter nominal growth figures computes to an annual real GDP figure (after the application of implied deflators). A clever argument, but not one which reflects general media usage.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited September 2013
    geoffw said:

Ah, I understand the mistake I was making now. I was calculating the annual growth from Q4 2012 to Q4 2013, which will be higher than the annual growth from 2012 to 2013, because growth was flat during 2012, and so Q1 2013 is only 0.3% up on Q1 2012.

What this means is that there is more inertia in the annual growth figures then you would get from looking at the annual rate of growth of each quarter.

[Thanks geoffw]
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    Richard Dodd: Happy to bet you £20 that UNITE will be represented at the Labour conference! Are you on?
  • Options
    Ah, thanks, Mr. Away.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Looks like Labour did train Syrian Army officers

In what? The use of deadly algorithms?
    Neil

That is the best argument against intervention that I have seen on PB.

• Options

I do hope that if we ever meet aliens from outer space we will not embarrass ourselves (and them!) by showing them some of the poetry we have made . Give them a brass band recital of the floral dance , or the turkish march maybe but no Kipling or Tennyson etc

Vogon poetry is particularly bad. I think we are safe.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Richard Dodd: Happy to bet you £20 that UNITE will be represented at the Labour conference! Are you on?

By Ed Miliband ?
  • Options

I agree with you, Nick.

Ed Miliband is certain to be there.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Clearly I am comparing apples and oranges but I am still having trouble in telling them apart.

Let me look at it from a different angle. When Osborne does his autumn report will he be doubling the growth forecast from 0.6 to 1.2 or trebling it to 1.8?

Edit. And did we just export Gareth Bale improving our balance of payments?
  • Options
    NPXMP ..I said they were threatening to boycott..In protest against the Falkirk two still being suspended.
    I never gamble with money.
    It would only take one Unite member to walk through the door and the bet would be won..
    Try tim ,he's stupid enough to bet
  • Options
    The Panelbase poll for the SNP :

http://www.panelbase.com/news/SNPPollTables020903.pdf

And the questions asked:

Q1. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "Scotland could be a successful, Independent country"

Q2. Who do you trust to take the best decisions for Scotland: the Scottish government or the Westminster government.

Q.3 There will be a referendum on an independent Scotland on the 18th of September 2014. How do you intend to vote in response to the question: Should Scotland be an independent country?

Leading, much?

Now compare with the "biased and loaded YouGov question" the Nats denounce:

"If there was a referendum tomorrow on Scotland leaving the United Kingdom and becoming an Independent Country and this was the question, how would you vote? Should Scotland be an independent country?"

Which part of "leaving the United Kingdom" are the Nats worried about?
  • Options

And the questions asked:

Q1. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "Scotland could be a successful, Independent country"

Q2. Who do you trust to take the best decisions for Scotland: the Scottish government or the Westminster government.

Q.3 There will be a referendum on an independent Scotland on the 18th of September 2014. How do you intend to vote in response to the question: Should Scotland be an independent country?

Leading, much?

Who paid for this "poll" ?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

I agree with you, Nick.

Ed Miliband is certain to be there.

I do miss the like button.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

And the questions asked:

Leading, much?

The SNP, curiously enough....

• Options

TGOHF said:

And the questions asked:

Leading, much?

Shocked I tells ya.

Still it allows them to use the "some polls show yes winning" line in interview - that's what it's all about really - just a crutch for awkward "you are going to lose" type questions.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

And the questions asked:

Leading, much?

This "story" is the entire front page of the Dundee Courier today but they seemed to have missed this little detail, funnily enough. They don't even mention who paid for it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited September 2013
    DavidL said:

Clearly I am comparing apples and oranges but I am still having trouble in telling them apart.

Let me look at it from a different angle. When Osborne does his autumn report will he be doubling the growth forecast from 0.6 to 1.2 or trebling it to 1.8?

He will double the growth forecast to 1.2%.

Take a hypothetical example. In 2012 there is no growth at all in any quarter, so GDP is constant in each quarter. In 2013, each quarter sees 1% growth on the quarter before. What is the annual growth rate?

The annual growth rate is 2.5%*, but the year-on-year growth rate for Q4 is 4%.

When you calculate your growth rate of 2.3%, you are calculating the year-on-year growth rate for Q4, and not the annual growth rate.

Interestingly, in my hypothetical example if the growth rate continues at 1% a quarter then annual growth in 2014 increases to 4%, even though the quarterly rate of growth is unchanged.

* 1.025 = 410/400 = (101 + 102 + 103 + 104) / (100 + 100 + 100 + 100) = GDP in 2013 / GDP in 2012
  • Options
    Not often I'm gobsmacked. He's an excellent Old Labour writer http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/02/the-sun-recruits-tony-parsons?CMP=twt_gu

"Tony Parsons has made a shock move to Rupert Murdoch's Sun, days after penning his final column in an 18-year career with the Daily Mirror.

Parsons signed off from the Daily Mirror with a column on Saturday with warm words for his "beloved readers" and a "lump in my throat and tears in my eyes".

Nevertheless, the 59-year old, who fondly paid tribute to the Mirror as the "newspaper I grew up with", wasted no time in signing for the Sunday edition of arch-rival the Sun.

"I am thrilled to be joining the best-selling newspaper in the country," he said, adding a few barbs aimed squarely at his former employer Trinity Mirror."
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    DavidL said:

The OBR Economic and Fiscal Outlook (EFO) which is published around the time of the Autumn Statement, contains tables and charts computed in both nominal and real GDP (although not simultaneously!).

A quick look through last year's December EFO seems to indicate that nominal GDP figures are used for intra year calculations and real for comparing the current year to prior years (which makes sense).

There is a section in the Dec 2012 EFO entitled "Nominal and Real GDP" but I founds myself neither wiser nor better informed after reading it (Section starts on p. 60).

Take this paragraph as an example:

Nominal GDP growth is weaker throughout the forecast than in March, reflecting both weaker real GDP growth and the downward adjustment to the growth of the GDP deflator. These changes to the forecast reduce the level of nominal GDP in 2016 by 5.1 per cent relative to our March forecast.27 Of this, 3.2 percentage points is accounted for by the downward adjustment to our forecast for real GDP growth, with the remainder due to lower GDP deflator growth.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

And the questions asked:

Leading, much?

Shocked I tells ya.

Still it allows them to use the "some polls show yes winning" line in interview - that's what it's all about really - just a crutch for awkward "you are going to lose" type questions.
    But not among total base, where the split is 41:42 Yes/No - Panelbase exclude those less certain to vote.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ms Plato,

For proper poems, have you come across Harry Graham and the Little Willie collection?

eg

"Little Willie, from the mirror
    Licked the mercury all off;
    Thinking, in his childish error
    It would cure the whooping cough.

At the funeral Willie's mother
    Said to Mrs. Brown,
    "'Twas a chilly day for Willie
    When the mercury went down."
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

For proper poems, have you come across Harry Graham and the Little Willie collection?

eg

"Little Willie, from the mirror
    Licked the mercury all off;
    Thinking, in his childish error
    It would cure the whooping cough.

At the funeral Willie's mother
    Said to Mrs. Brown,
    "'Twas a chilly day for Willie
    When the mercury went down."

Ah - very Jack Spratt!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

DavidL said:

He will double the growth forecast to 1.2%.

Take a hypothetical example. In 2012 there is no growth at all in any quarter, so GDP is constant in each quarter. In 2013, each quarter sees 1% growth on the quarter before. What is the annual growth rate?

The annual growth rate is 2.5%*, but the year-on-year growth rate for Q4 is 4%.

When you calculate your growth rate of 2.3%, you are calculating the year-on-year growth rate for Q4, and not the annual growth rate.

Interestingly, in my hypothetical example if the growth rate continues at 1% a quarter then annual growth in 2014 increases to 4%, even though the quarterly rate of growth is unchanged.

* 1.025 = 410/400 = (101 + 102 + 103 + 104) / (100 + 100 + 100 + 100) = GDP in 2013 / GDP in 2012
    This simply doesn't make sense, Oblitus.

The headline figure for quarterly growth figures, as announced by the media, is for a quarter on previous quarter growth rate. This means that the Q2 2013 GDP growth rate of 0.7% showed growth over Q1 2013 not growth over Q1 2012 (although such a figure may be published in supplementary data).

If the Chancellor is making a statement which relates primarily to a single years figures he is almost certainly going to use nominal growth figures, as they will be consistent with other figures announced/published such as those for expenses and revenues.

If the Chancellor is comparing the current year to prior years he is likely to use real figures as this also makes sense: we are comparing like to like. An example are the PESA figures which are published in both real and nominal terms, facilitating both types of analysis. The real figures for the current year are computed/indexed to the month of publication, which is generally July.

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

And the questions asked:

Leading, much?

Shocked I tells ya.

But not among total base, where the split is 41:42 Yes/No - Panelbase exclude those less certain to vote.

Do you know anything about the origins and funding of Panelbase ?

Is it reputable ?

• Options
    O/t: I wonder if these gentle souls will chain themselves on the road to Damascus:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-23926973

If they did, they might get a Damascene conversion.

(Further o/t: Mrs J's ancestral home was near Tarsus, birthplace of St Paul. Her mother used to go digging in their garden as a child and find gold Roman coins. Mrs J's always wanted a Turkish version of Time Team; their history is much richer than ours, going back beyond the Hittites and well past Greek civilisation. sadly, archaeology does not have the same importance as it does here in the UK, with some worthy exceptions)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

@ChrisMasonBBC:

IANAE on the military, but I can see potential advantages for both sides in such a limited arrangement.

When in Cambodia about 5-6 years ago our guide complained that "England" had trained Pol Pot's troops.
    And went on to make pointed remarks about Mrs Thatcher.
  • Options

@ChrisMasonBBC:

When in Cambodia about 5-6 years ago our guide complained that "England" had trained Pol Pot's troops.
    And went on to make pointed remarks about Mrs Thatcher.
    That was a distinctly different and murker affair, with lessons that continue to this day. Including, it should be said, Syria.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/node/137397
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

And the questions asked:

Leading, much?

Shocked I tells ya.

Do you know anything about the origins and funding of Panelbase ?

Is it reputable ?

Excluding those less likely to vote, or weighting by voting intention is perfectly respectable. The issue I have with this poll was the run up questions to the independence one - laughably transparent.

In a sense I am disappointed that only 52% of my countrymen think Scotland could be a successful independent country and 37% do not. I think it could - just it will be better off remaining in the UK.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    In no sense is the ex Mr Julie Birchill an 'excellent' or any other type of Old Labour writer. He's an ideal fit for the Sun. He writes complete crap like his ex wife
  • Options
    John Curtice on the SNP Panelbase poll:

"All survey researchers are aware that the responses they get depend can not only depend on the exact wording of the question they get, but also on what questions have been asked immediately beforehand. There is good reason to believe that this proved important in this case. By prefacing the referendum voting intention poll with two questions that elicited a response favourable to the Yes side, some respondents could well have been cued into saying Yes when they otherwise would not have done so."

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/09/snppanelbase-poll-shows-one-point-yes-lead/
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Moderated

Tim, you know that subject is off limits.

Any further transgressions, your posting privileges will be suspended.

Is that clear.

Please confirm that you understand.
  • Options
    "How Will Straw hopes to follow his Labour minister father Jack Straw

The son of the former Labour home secretary has been selected as Labour candidate for the Lancashire constituency next door to his dad's":

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2013/sep/02/will-straw-follow-father-jack-straw
  • Options

John Curtice on the SNP Panelbase poll:

"All survey researchers are aware that the responses they get depend can not only depend on the exact wording of the question they get, but also on what questions have been asked immediately beforehand. There is good reason to believe that this proved important in this case. By prefacing the referendum voting intention poll with two questions that elicited a response favourable to the Yes side, some respondents could well have been cued into saying Yes when they otherwise would not have done so."

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/09/snppanelbase-poll-shows-one-point-yes-lead/

Sounds like they would have been better off heading to Homebase and asking the shoppers.

• Options
    Tim: are you Tim Jones on UKPR?
  • Options
    Peston on why Hodges (in trouble on PM when Mair pointed out that the law that enabled Vodaphone to escape tax on its sale to Verizon even if it had been based in the UK thanks to Labour legislation) is wrong to winge about no UK tax being paid:

"So possibly it would be wrong to carp and wring hands that Vodafone won't be paying a penny of tax to the British taxman on the tens of billions of pounds of profit it will make from the disposal.

Because if it had been obliged to pay very substantial tax on the sale, it would have turned down the offer from Verizon Communications - and a windfall for the British economy would have been lost."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23926429
  • Options
    Our guide was very aware that international politics is a very murky game. And I said I was Welsh, which was accepted as different from English.

Nobody said anything in Laos earlier this year, although there were some Soviet flags about; that means exactly what it says .... the Hammer and Sickle.
  • Options
    Vodafone deal confirmed.

$58.9 billion cash coming across from the US, plus $60.2bn Verizon shares 'to Vodafone shareholders', quite a large proportion of which will be sold because not all UK investors in Vodafone will want to hold US shares.

That's enough to impact the UK economy as a whole.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-02/verizon-agrees-to-130-billion-vodafone-deal.html
  • Options
    tim said:

And of course the Thatcher Govt helped Saddam amass the chemical weapons used in the Kurdish genocide.

You know tim is struggling when he starts blaming Thatcher & posting a story from ten years ago

• Options

Vodafone deal confirmed.

$58.9 billion cash coming across from the US, plus $60.2bn Verizon shares 'to Vodafone shareholders', quite a large proportion of which will be sold because not all UK investors in Vodafone will want to hold US shares.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-02/verizon-agrees-to-130-billion-vodafone-deal.html

All the cash will come over here then go straight back out as VOD snaps up a series of bongo bongo Telco's....
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    tim said:

Mrs Thatcher tells Blue Peter viewers about the good and bad Khmer Rouge

A pretty reasonable interview. What's your point?
  • Options
    I'm confused, tim. Are you citing Halabja as evidence that you agree with Cameron that we should act, or in support of Miliband preventing us acting?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Vodafone deal confirmed.

All the cash will come over here then go straight back out as VOD snaps up a series of bongo bongo Telco's....
    One can only hope they do so. Sure beats the USA.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No it won't - maybe a few billion, or $30bn if they go for Liberty Global. That still leaves a fair bit of change.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    AveryLP said:

This simply doesn't make sense, Oblitus.

The headline figure for quarterly growth figures, as announced by the media, is for a quarter on previous quarter growth rate. This means that the Q2 2013 GDP growth rate of 0.7% showed growth over Q1 2013 not growth over Q1 2012 (although such a figure may be published in supplementary data).

Avery, you've misunderstood what Oblitus had finally made clear.

The 2013 on 2012 growth rate will be much lower than the sum of the 2013 QoQ rates because we are getting virtually no carry forward from last year.

In Q1 of 2013, most of the growth vs the same period last year comes from the growth in 2012, rather than than the growth just vs Q4 2012. Because there was no real growth in 2012, there is no carry over.

By contrast, in Q4 2013 is likely to be significantly higher than Q4 2012 as there has been solid growth in each Quarter since Q4 2012. However, the average of Q4 and Q1 (and the other 2...) will be somewhere in the middle, hence 2013 on 2012 growth looks subdued vs the QoQ numbers. This will not be the case next year.

Next year's 2014 on 2013 growth would be solidly positive even with no quarter on quarter growth reported in 2014, as the positive growth this year carries over in to the total year calculation.
  • Options
    @TomNewtonDunn: BREAKING: Labour would not encourage another vote on military action if the Govt tried to bring one, sources close to Ed Mili suggest.
  • Options
    tim said:

Mrs Thatcher tells Blue Peter viewers about the good and bad Khmer Rouge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4dHRN2Dug

"She is being interviewed by Caron Keating for Blue Peter's 'Bring and Buy' appeal for Kampuchea (Cambodia)"

In 1988, the same year as Halabja.

Was she wrong?

The situation was complex. Cambodia was under Vietnamese control. If you believe that the Cambodian people deserve to be ruled by their own government, then you may need to talk to previous powerful regimes. In fact, you need to engage all the parties. Leaving any of them out can lead to utter failure.

And such an approach may actually have worked in Cambodia. Peace efforts started the next year, and a peace settlement was reached in 1991. Would it have been possible to reach this settlement without talking to the more moderate parts of the Khmer Rouge, however distasteful that was?

A parallel is with Northern Ireland: many found it distasteful that the British government talked and negotiated with senior member of Sinn Fein, and that member of terrorist groups of all sides were let out early. Yet few doubt that such moves created and lubricated the peace process.

One of the gravest mistakes the west made in Iraq was the policy of debathification. You have reams of civil servants who actually run the country, from junior NCOs in the army to the police. Many were immediately unemployed, and they were the ones who knew how to run the country. Better to leave most of them in place as long as they swear loyalty to a new government (or concept thereof), or until proof of crimes can be found against them. Lop the head off, but only do select surgery to the rest of the body.

Would the Cambodian peace treaty have been possible if we had shunned one of the most powerful and feared groups?

In a similar manner, we need to be talking to people in Assad's regime, and making sure that any solution involves them as well as the rebels. It's the only way to a workable peace.
  • Options
    OldKingCole - occupational hazard of being British or English and going on guided tours abroad. Like Thatcher everything is the fault of the English . Happened to me in Cyprus this year with a guide who said it wasn't personal (wow thanks mate still not getting a tip) but the English were to balme for the turkish invasion
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @Carlotta

"Peston on why Hodges (in trouble on PM when Mair pointed out that the law that enabled Vodaphone to escape tax on its sale to Verizon even if it had been based in the UK thanks to Labour legislation) is wrong to winge about no UK tax being paid:"

But it was Peston who has been driving this (as a tax avoidance story) despite the fact that no one was interested . It was only in the last few hours that he found anyone to grab the batton. Predictably it was Hodge because she's become 'rent-a-mouth' on all things tax and she doesn't mind sounding ignorant.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

No it won't - maybe a few billion, or $30bn if they go for Liberty Global. That still leaves a fair bit of change.
    Special dividend ? Ferking hope so :D

• Options
    Thank you for confirming that tim. Of course the same will apply to all the other subjects that are off limits.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Freedom Party up to 20% in latest poll for Austrian election on 29th September:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalratswahl_in_Österreich_2013#Umfragen

Looks like right-wing populist parties could enter government in both Austria and Norway within the next few weeks.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

OldKingCole - occupational hazard of being British or English and going on guided tours abroad. Like Thatcher everything is the fault of the English . Happened to me in Cyprus this year with a guide who said it wasn't personal (wow thanks mate still not getting a tip) but the English were to balme for the turkish invasion

Don't need to be on a tour, State. Can happen when one is having a quiet beer or green tea and watching the world go by!

Mind, somewhere like Cambodia need some local info, given the number of mines still about. At least, so the taxi driver told us.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Special dividend ? Ferking hope so :D

And don't forget that A T & T is rumoured to be sniffing around the possibility of acquiring the rump.

Since I made the biggest bet of my investing career on this (albeit one which didn't seem to have too much downside), I'm not dischuffed!
  • Options
    "TGOHF said:

Special dividend ? Ferking hope so"

84p a share (rumoured)
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    Andy_JS said:

Looks like right-wing populist parties could enter government in both Austria and Norway within the next few weeks.

But I thought Norway was the wunderkind country that both left (social welfare state) and right (outside EU) worship? How can pseudo-fascist nationalism be taking hold when everything is perfect?
  • Options
    tim .. not having too good a day are you'
    I don't gamble with money.
    I dont save souls..no idea where you got that idea from..
    I leave that to the liars in dog collars and pointy hats..
    Chuckles and Hodge making prats of themselves..not unusual.
    Labour Ministers talking at cross purposes. whats a troll like you to do..
    why dont you go and watch some Corrie, settle your nerves
  • Options
    MBoy said:

Andy_JS said:

But I thought Norway was the wunderkind country that both left (social welfare state) and right (outside EU) worship? How can pseudo-fascist nationalism be taking hold when everything is perfect?
    Good point.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    @Plato Apologies if this has already been posted:

15% of All Internet Traffic is Cat-Related
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    TOPPING said:

UKIP are at 8 in today's poll down 1

UKIP managed to call Syria even worse than Lab. If such a thing is possible.
    There's no reason for UKIP to have got a boost given the result. They'd have got the boost if the vote had gone the other way imo.
  • Options
    Sleazy, broken Peaceniks on the slide?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Do you mean Pussy related?
  • Options
    Killing more innocents than by WMD?

Halabja - 5k civilian deaths
    Invasion of Iraq - far more than 5k civilian deaths

• Options

GeoffM said:

Do you mean Pussy related?
    That's another 80%.

The remaining 5% is split between political betting and trains.

I've studied all these phenomena greatly, and have come up with a website featuring Melinda Messenger carrying a cat on the footplate of an A4, whilst simultaneously waving a betting form at an MP.

I should soon overtake Google as the #1 website ...
This discussion has been closed.