Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet Ed Kinnock

13»

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

Also worth backing the Aussies to win the one day series

And exactly how many Irishmen do England need in their squad for them to feel happy with their chances of winning there?
    One for every three South Africans?
    If they all got selected that would only leave room for 3 Englishmen in the team!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    tim said:

Michael Fabricant ‏@Mike_Fabricant
    US: The US, UK, France, and Turkey say there is no need to seek UN approval of military action against Syria, and that none will be sought

I'm sure Nick Clegg will be perfectly happy with that, no hypocrisy there then.

As long as The Beloved Barack say's it's OK, Clegg will be fine with it. :D

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited August 2013
    I see from OGH's latest tweet that its always bad news for Tories - I see that I can't link to it without falling foul of PBs new moderation rules - FFS.

https: //twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/372315524211810304
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited August 2013

Messina -- this Google Tech Talk, entitled "Politicos, Geeks & Kool-Aid Drinkers: Tall Tales of Design Chicanery from inside Obama for America," by someone else on Obama's tech team may give a better idea of the sort of things Messina will be advising on. Try not to be drinking tea (or Kool-Aid) when he mentions the budget was only $1 billion.

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSiuVGQECs

I'd expect to see more web and twitter campaigns in the next couple of months about nothing in particular, whose real aim is to harvest contact details of small-c Conservative supporters.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting that.

A key difference US/UK is that the UK is no longer a two way fight, and the "momentum", which is not something campaigns can induce, seems to be with UKIP.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Plato said:

I see from OGH's latest tweet that its always bad news for Tories

Would you care to attempt to spin it as a triumph for the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    SeanT said:
    Good piece. But I don't think the reason we've stopped believing them is because they just started lying to us. The pretexts for wars are usually based on lies. What's happening is that we now have better sources of information than we used to, so we're now starting to catch them.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

US: The US, UK, France, and Turkey say there is no need to seek UN approval of military action against Syria, and that none will be sought

Substitute Russia, China and their allies for those states and it is self evident that this is rule by strongmen rather than by international law. That may or may not be a good thing, but we should have the honesty to admit what we are proposing to do.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Plato said:

I see from OGH's latest tweet that its always bad news for Tories - I see that I can't link to it without falling foul of PBs new moderation rules - FFS.

https: //twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/372315524211810304

2013 UKIP voters would be a much better target for the Conservatives than 2010 LD voters.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    From the pic on Guido's site the Gove press conference/speech seemed to be held in quite a large room..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Sean

I reckon the crop circles / Syria link is a bit tenuous - but you're right that we can't trust these CSMFs one little bit (our politicians that is). I'm firmly in the 'leave well alone' camp on Syria.

The world is a grim place in many parts. People get gassed, mutilated, tortured, repressed, and all sorts of utterly inhumane shit goes down every day. We should get involved only when our national interests are at stake in a rather self-interested and hard hearted way - and based on agreed guidelines for intervention.

Why attack Syria for gassing but not North Korea for death camps? Why splat Iraq for non-existent WMDs but not Pakistan which openly has them? Why intervene to help in the Balkans but leave Rwanda alone? Why Sierra Leone but not XXX (fill in your non-Guardian reading shithole of choice here).

If we are going to put ourselves (servicemen or civilian population) in harm's way let's be very, very clear why and with general consent.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Germany and Russia say there is no need to seek League approval of military action against Poland, and that none will be sought.

Japan says there is no need to seek League approval of military action against Dutch East Indies, Britain, and The United States that none will be sought.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited August 2013
    @Plato - It's certainly a bit odd to pick on just one column of the shifts from 2010.

After all, the same table shows that only 76% of 2010 Labour voters would vote Labour, and only 67% of 2010 Conservative voters would vote Conservative, and these shifts have just as much effect on the overall result as the errant 2010 LibDems.

Of course, these figures are already built into the 4% Labour lead.

What matters is whether, overall, the two main parties can gain or lose support relative to each other, over the next 20 months. And, clearly, the kinds of places where they might look to do so are some combination of:

- Winning over voters directly from the other main party
    - Winning back drifters to UKIP (12% of 2010 Con voters in this poll)
    - Grabbing some of those 21% 2010 LibDems who currently answer Don't Know
    - For the Conservatives, hoping that some of those 2010 LibDems will return from Labour to the LibDems, preferably in Con/Lab marginals!
    - Persuading Don't Knows to back them
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Pulpstar said:

Laid mesself £11 more of Con maj at 4.2 this morning.

Just a question - given badgers not culled will take over the other's setts - won't the only way to make the cull effective to basically cull all of them ?

We should take off and nuke them from orbit. Only way to be sure.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    People seem to realise that Ed really is rather crap.

Funny that.
  • Options
    David Cameron @David_Cameron
    Speaker agrees my request to recall Parliament on Thurs. There'll be a clear Govt motion & vote on UK response to chemical weapons attacks
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Plato said:

Any government restricting the main opposition party to a paltry midterm 4% lead should certainly award themselves a hearty cheer or two and also a ....

Huzzah for Ed !!

• Options
    Floater said:

Funny that.

That some Labourites are still contending EdM is great is just a bit delusional. The public have spoken and said Meh - he's only 7+ with his own voters FFS.

Cameron is 87+

What more evidence do they need that Unite chose a dud for them?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Floater said:

Funny that.

That some Labourites are still contending EdM is great is just a bit delusional. The public have spoken and said Meh - he's only 7+ with his own voters FFS.

Cameron is 87+

What more evidence do they need that Unite chose a dud for them?
    Since 2010 the Conservatives have lost support, while Labour have gained support.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

Agree

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Agreed, this mock up just makes me cringe as its politics at its most childish. A normal photo with a hard hitting or mocking caption is far more effective.

I always suspect these photo mock ups are rather childish but as I am not a Sun reader, cannot say whether they will go down well with them or not. I would rather have a normal picture of the Bland one and then a simple list of 10 things he has said and then failed to do/comments which were just total guff.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sky: Parliament to be recalled on Thursday, and there will be a vote....
  • Options

Michael Fabricant @Mike_Fabricant
    Parliament recalled for Thursday. To my mind that means there will be an attack on Syria on Friday or weekend. (Parliament back on Monday)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

If evidence emerges the government was not the perpetrator, that should make for an interesting vote!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Off topic

For horse racing and football punters on twitter, may I recommend?

@raceclear
    @scoresandscorer
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    dr_spyn said:

Ed as Michael Foot...

The trouble with Ed is that he is seen as a figure of fun.

Agreed.

Dangerous for a politician to be seen as some sort of joke figure.

• Options
    HistoryofParliament @HistParl
    With the news that parliament will be recalled over #Syria, here's a look at parl's historic role in diplomacy&war: historyofparliamentonline.org/themes/diploma…
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:
    Good piece. But I don't think the reason we've stopped believing them is because they just started lying to us. The pretexts for wars are usually based on lies. What's happening is that we now have better sources of information than we used to, so we're now starting to catch them.
    Thanks, but I'm not sure that's true. I think Iraq was a watershed. Before Iraq I never thought a British prime minister - of left or right - would, uh, bend the truth - "sex up the evidence" - to the extent Blair did, so as to persuade us into war. Perhaps I was naive to be so trusting. But there we are.

Now I believe they are capable of almost any lies, and therefore I certainly do not believe them when it comes to war.

The advent of the internet and a better informed public is important, but secondary.
    Was Blair sleazier over Iraq than Eden over Suez?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Austerity is over.
    Money no problem
    Lets spend on bombing Syria so those nice moderate opposition chaps can take power
    We will all live happily ever after
    FFS war mongerer Blair thinks its a good idea. So it must be so
  • Options
    No need for toothpaste now!

Robin Whitefield @RobinWhitefield
    Mobile phone firm EE to create 200 jobs in Merthyr Tydfil walesonline.co.uk/news/business/… via @WalesOnline
  • Options
    taffys said:

If evidence emerges the government was not the perpetrator, that should make for an interesting vote!

Far from this being Cameron's Falklands moment it's looking more like a potential Suez disaster. If evidence emerges that Assad is not the perpetrator , Hague will have to resign.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

taffys said:

Far from this being Cameron's Falklands moment it's looking more like a potential Suez disaster. If evidence emerges that Assad is not the perpetrator , Hague will have to resign.

Kerry would look like a right twonk too, all of which creates quite a few incentives to make sure that no such evidence emerges...
  • Options
    Hague can only act on information provided..
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Hague can only act on information provided..

We can hope that its not a dodgy dossier..
  • Options
    SR .. Hopefully it will be provided, whatever it is , by experienced Military and Inspectors, not some semi deranged press officer
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, this looks like a one day wonder, intended to amuse the party faithful and to provide a talking point. Which it has.

If I were Ed Miliband, I'd be more worried about the idea that the Sun might do a mock-up of his face in a lightbulb on the day of the general election.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

I assume those people who think that the Iraq war wouldn't have happened without the vote in the British parliament also believe that US missile strikes will be halted if MP's vote against them?

That's a straw man.

I don't think any Brit is hanging his or her head in regret (!) because we didn't enter the Vietnam war.

The US were always, rightly or wrongly, much more explicit in their reason for going into Iraq - regime change.

We for some reason, perhaps because the country was being run by bien-pensant leftist bleeding heart liberals, felt the need to manufacture some spurious reason for the invation, namely WMD.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That would be the choice of the American President.
    Meanwhile we can get the popcorn in and watch the body count on the news channels
  • Options
    JackW said:

Plato said:

Any government restricting the main opposition party to a paltry midterm 4% lead should certainly award themselves a hearty cheer or two and also a ....

Huzzah for Ed !!

Hmmm... the Scottish government has not merely restricted the main opposition party midterm, but is actually 18 points ahead of it.

Does Jack want to give them a hearty cheer?

Huzzah for Alex !!

Panelbase - Sunday Times/Real Radio Scotland
    sample = 1001
    fieldwork: 17-24 July
    Scottish parliament voting intention
    (+/- change from 2011)

Constituency

SNP 48% ( +3 )
    Lab 30% ( -2 )
    Con 13% ( -1 )
    LD 4% ( -4 )
    oth 5% (+3)
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008
    I think this is going to be a US operation. There might just be one or two RAF sorties to show willing, but they don't need us. It's not like Iraq, when British support was crucial for Bush. Given that the US appears to have made up its mind about striking Syria, the interesting question is going to be the response of Russia. This is potentially an almighty humiliation for Putin.
This discussion has been closed.